Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by joken2

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?

Very true. We first picked up 10 acres with our house - 1/4 mile deep by 330 wide...depending on how it lays you can have a decent range with 1/4 mile. Later picked up 10 acres adjoining, later 18 acres adjoining, later 75 acres adjoining....so what you start with may not be what you finish with.

That would be 30 acres.

Nope

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So much depends on what's bordering the property. If it's public land, you're normally good. Around here, you never buy rural land without spending a lot of time looking at satellite views of the area. There are a lot of big dairies here and you really don't want to be less than 5 miles downwind of one. We have one 3 miles straight south of us. 2 or 3 times a year, we'll have a dead calm day and the smell will roll north and we get some of it. We can live with it a few times a year but to have to smell it all the time would be unlivable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Disregard....I am not even drinking yet and my train of thought is totally screwed up...

Last edited by T_Inman; 10/12/20.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Disregard....I am not even drinking yet and my train of thought is totally screwed up...

That's the time to think big and post a lot, then drink to forget about it

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Looking at retiring, central Missouri in particular. Seeing several nice houses but only 10 acres. All wooded and surrounded by more wooded land. How much land is "enough" I know, more is better..

Only if it is surrounded by wilderness and not a bunch of idiots. To me that wouldn't cut it if I'm going to live away from everything. I'd have to have enough land to make it worthwhile, and enough to distance me from neighbors. I'd rather have a nice house in a small town and some undeveloped hunting land in the middle of nowhere that was close enough to drive to in 30 to 40 minutes.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So much depends on what's bordering the property. If it's public land, you're normally good. Around here, you never buy rural land without spending a lot of time looking at satellite views of the area. There are a lot of big dairies here and you really don't want to be less than 5 miles downwind of one. We have one 3 miles straight south of us. 2 or 3 times a year, we'll have a dead calm day and the smell will roll north and we get some of it. We can live with it a few times a year but to have to smell it all the time would be unlivable.

And you never know what changes so-called 'progress' might bring in at some point in the future, either. This area experienced such 'progress' a couple of decades ago with the coming of a major poultry processing plant. The property a huge main processing facility was built on was previously a several hundred acre farm along with a separate hatchery and a feed mill on what had been farm ground as well, but each in different adjoining counties.

Then came the many raising houses scattered all over owned and operated by private individuals with at least 5 acres to devote to a minimum of 2 raising houses. More acreage - more raising house... Property values nearby gradually went in the pits. One home owner next to the main processing plant finally just gave up trying to sell. Was a nice house and property, too. Like the dairy farms, when the wind was right forget about entertaining outdoors or indulging in any normally enjoyable outdoor activities. The closer to the processing plant and raising houses the worse the stench is too, wind or no wind.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Obviously, location is a determining factor in property taxes but I think Missouri's are pretty reasonable for rural land. I own 125 acres in NE MO, a mix of timber, crop land, and pasture and my taxes last year were $201.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by joken2

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?

Very true. We first picked up 10 acres with our house - 1/4 mile deep by 330 wide...depending on how it lays you can have a decent range with 1/4 mile. Later picked up 10 acres adjoining, later 18 acres adjoining, later 75 acres adjoining....so what you start with may not be what you finish with.

That would be 30 acres.

No sir. It's 1320x1320 for a 40 acre square. 1320x330 is 10 acres.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by reivertom
Looking at retiring, central Missouri in particular. Seeing several nice houses but only 10 acres. All wooded and surrounded by more wooded land. How much land is "enough" I know, more is better..

Only if it is surrounded by wilderness and not a bunch of idiots. To me that wouldn't cut it if I'm going to live away from everything. I'd have to have enough land to make it worthwhile, and enough to distance me from neighbors. I'd rather have a nice house in a small town and some undeveloped hunting land in the middle of nowhere that was close enough to drive to in 30 to 40 minutes.

Probably the best of both worlds.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That is an option that I am looking into. Seems much beyond 10 - 20 acres is $200K+ however.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Depends on how old you are,.
When I moved here and bought 5 acres, it did not seem like enough .Now at my age 5 acres keep me busy taking care of it and if it were not for having neighbors, I could do with less

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That is an option that I am looking into. Seems much beyond 10 - 20 acres is $200K+ however.

No idea about prices of undeveloped rural non to semi farmable acreage elsewhere in the country but $200K+ for 10 - 20 acres would be extremely high for like rural acreage around much of western Kentucky. Mother-in-law's 55 acre farm and homeplace sold for not much more than $100K just a few years ago and all but the yard of about 1-1/2 acres and about 3-4 acres of woods was good grain producing crop ground.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bought 40 acres with a house that needed remodeling and had a greenhouse next to the house, in Laclede county, for 120k. That was slightly over appraisal. Half pasture, half mature timber, on a private dead end road, three ponds, one of which is large and a well established fishing pond. 4000 acres of Nature Conservancy a half mile away at the end of the road, around a thousand acres of state park adjoining that. Had bucks sparring in the pasture less than a hundred yards from the house last evening.

If you are looking at paying 200k for a ten or twenty acre plot in Polk County, it should have a decent house and maybe a barn or shop for that price, unless it is really close to Bolivar or in the southern part of the county close to Springfield. I sold a 30 acre place one county over from there last fall for 269k. It had an 1800 sf custom home built by me in 2016, three beds, two baths, Andersen windows throughout, heavily insulated(we heated and cooked for a year on 200 gallons of propane), plus a large screen porch overlooking the stocked pond in the yard. A 30x50 shop with concrete floor, roll up door, water and electric and climate controlled storage, and an old but serviceable barn. Trails through the mature timber for atv, and the house sat about 600ft. off the road, a state highway. Also had two other ponds, about half woods, half pasture. New well and septic, two electrical services, plus another old well that was functional at an old homesite.

Check out the area northeast of Bolivar, and maybe look at Dallas and Hickory counties as well. There is a lot of pretty good country within 30 minutes of Bolivar, and an hour or less from Springfield. I can be in Bolivar in 40 minutes and I live two counties away.

Where in Cali are you? You may find that you could live a considerable distance from your work or shopping here and still spend less time driving than you are use to where you are. If LA or SF, its guaranteed.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 10/13/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Trip to work was about 20 minutes, now 45.. Since COVID back to 20 now, but they have us teleworking. Still looking, found several, but at 66 not sure I would want a 187 acre cattle farm with 60 in mature woods.. I am really open to the exact area. Anywhere in MO or perhaps Northern Arkansas. Prefer to be close to a lake for fishing, and not more than a couple of hours from a base as I am retired Navy. Going to talk to the realtor that had the house that fell out. They should see more than I can on the web.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hickory county puts you within a half hour drive of three different lakes and a trout stream. Lucas Oil Speedway is over there at Wheatland, if you are into racing, they have all sorts of events. There is also the I-44 Speedway at Lebanon which is an hour away, and a dirt track off 65 north of Louisburg. Cheap taxes, very reasonable property, good country and good people. About a half hour to Bolivar or Warsaw for Walmart, if you need that. If you need a city, Springfield is about an hour and 15 minutes, or Kansas City is about 2 hours or a bit more away. Two hours or less to Fort Leonard Wood, big base at Waynesville, and about the same to the VA hospital at Columbia which is a very good one. It is where I will likely end up if I get crowded where I am, probably my favorite part of MO.

If you own at least 20 acres you can get landowner deer tags here, at no cost. I get three this year for my forty acre place. One buck, and two antlerless. A nice 60 acre place would be pretty good. Forty acres or more of timber, and a little open ground for gardening, raising a beef, or whatever. Lots of places over there with ponds or streams on them, too. Some very close to Pomme de Terre which is a really nice lake for fishing or boating. Much quieter and cleaner than Lake of the Ozarks. Nothing warms a house like a good stove full of oak or hickory, which we have in abundance here.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 10/13/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You’re making me hungry for home OldGrayWolf.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to have it made, would hunt Dalls sheep here in August for ten days, then hunt caribou, moose & bear for 28-42 days, then we’d fly home to visit my mom and I’d hunt quail or whitetail for 10 days or so, leaving four days for my mom, cause I’m a swell guy 🤦🏼‍♂️

Bout year 3 she informed me hanging out w my mom was fine while I hunted but I was takin her & the brood to Hawaii next year, which of course was about 6 weeks away by then. Women

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You need a minimum of 10 acres in Texas to get an Ag exemption on taxes. You might want to check on that? That saves a lot on taxes.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,244
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.