Home
Posted By: 2sticks Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Some of you know that my 11 year old German Shepherd passed away a few weeks ago. My 11 year old weimaraner passed away a year ago. Both were incredible dogs and highly trained.

My wife and I are beginning the talk of what dogs do we get next. A weimaraner is a gimme. They are just too damn entertaining and intelligent. But, we like having a dog that is very protective of its home and family. We have been considering a Doberman (my wife) and a malinios (me). I just don't know much about the malinios. I have heard that they are like a German Shepherd on crack.

Is there anyone on the campfire has/had malinios that is willing to give me real information?
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Same situation here. Following this thread with interest,
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Ingwe will be along shortly
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
A highway patrol friend used one as his police dog for a long time, he said they're hyper. I don't know if they'd make a good pet, they'd probably take a lot of attention.
Posted By: Gus Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
I had a long-legged mtn feist for 15 years that could outrun a coyote, kill cats, tree squirrels, and bark at anyone & everyone.

we'd like to replace her. a malinois might work.

she was a lover as a pet.

but she'd fight too.
Posted By: deflave Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Mals are high energy, task specific dogs.

If you're not using it for work (daily) I would not get one.

Doberman's are worthless.
Posted By: viking Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
I’ve heard they don’t have the hip problems like Germans.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
The Malinios are very high engery and very intelligent, they would make you weimaraner seem stupid. They are definitely a Shepard on crack. I have one for a guard dog, best dam dog I ever had and I had some good one. Be prepared if you get a pup they will tare everything up. Mine learned to unlock the door knob and turn the knob to go out side by himself
We had a pit bull in town tearing up dogs that people are walking, after it did my plot hound. I took my malionios for a walk off leash, the pit got his ass tore up
Originally Posted by viking
I’ve heard they don’t have the hip problems like Germans.

They're 100X's more resilient than a GS.

But you're hiring a motorhead to sit around the house and keep you company.
Posted By: Stix Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
I throw my hat in the ring for the Doberman. We have two. Very alert without being aggressive. Maybe we just lucked out but they are the furthest thing from vicious. You come in my yard.....they don’t bark. They don’t growl or charge. They just watch every single move you make. If I shake your hand you’ll have two new buddies.
Posted By: copperking81 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
On one of my deployments to Iraq, we got assigned a bomb dog / handler team and the dog was a half Malinios, half Pitbull mut. Or so that's what we were told. It was odd because all the other platoons got retrievers or beagles.

Anyway... can't remember what the dog's actual name was but we called him Stalin. Pretty sure ole Stalin couldn't sniff out an IED to save his or our lives but man... he was mean as chit and fuggin hated Iraqis. He would chew on the thick azz window bomb glass going ape chit if they got too close to the trucks.

Something to consider, I guess.
Posted By: Rifles And More Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Made the same choice not long ago - based on the BM drive we went with the German Shepherd. Got two for the price of one malinois! That way when the hips go bad it'll cost twice as much...
Posted By: skeen Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by copperking81
... he was mean as chit and fuggin hated Iraqis. He would chew on the thick azz window bomb glass going ape chit if they got too close to the trucks.

Good dog!
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Made the same choice not long ago - based on the BM drive we went with the German Shepherd. Got two for the price of one malinois! That way when the hips go bad it'll cost twice as much...

They aren't cheap, paid 2 grand for mine, worth every penny
On one of my deployments to Iraq, we got assigned a bomb dog / handler team and the dog was a half Malinios, half Pitbull mut. Or so that's what we were told. It was odd because all the other platoons got retrievers or beagles.

Anyway... can't remember what the dog's actual name was but we called him Stalin. Pretty sure ole Stalin couldn't sniff out an IED to save his or our lives but man... he was mean as chit and fuggin hated Iraqis. He would chew on the thick azz window bomb glass going ape chit if they got too close to the trucks.

Anything "mixed" isn't a dog.
Posted By: colodog Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Give Ingwe a shout, I believe his pup Rommel is a Mal.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
I ain’t seen a one on a leash that weren’t a total PITA to their owners who clearly bought the wrong dog.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
Originally Posted by deflave

Anything "mixed" isn't a dog.

They're ALL mixed at one point. This makes no sense.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/24/20
If you want a dog that will protect the family at all cost, but is easy maintenance and a real lover take a look at Bull Mastiff's... My son and his wife have pugs and a Bull Mastiff, and I've never met a more family friendly dog that is more protective of his family. They are extremely gentle, but if someone get's even slightly aggressive with a member of the family they will interject themselves. They don't bite, instead they use their size to push people over and hold them in place as they were bred to as a working dog for game keepers to control poachers....

The only thing about them is they are big dogs ( around 130 lbs full grown), but they think of themselves as lap dogs because they want to be next to their people as much as possible.... Not sure I've ever seen a dog with more character....

My neighbor who lives at the property we are going to build our new house has a Malinois and it is super hyper.... seems friendly enough since I introduced myself to him carefully, but I'm not sure I would turn my back on him without knowing what kind of mood he is in...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Go for the Mal, spend the time to train it and don’t worry about your 6.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
I have thought about getting one.
Still am thinking about it at times.
I aint up for a new pup right yet.
Blackjack and Brady are GTG for now.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
You will be fine if you have basic training skills and are willing to put the time in with the dog . A malinois without the proper obedience training is a Tasmanian devil .

If you are going to leave your dog kenneled much , don't get a Malinois . I you are going to leave your dog in a fenced yard unsupervised don't get a Malinois .

One of the most intelligent breeds I have owned and easy to train . The are excellent companions . Socialize them early or they can become one-man dogs .
Posted By: 2sticks Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
No one I know that is serious about having well a trained dog has ever said anything positive about a Doberman.

I absolutely love German shepherds, but the house full of hair gives my wife too much ammo against me. I have had two German shepherds and I have never been able to to brush them enough to keep shedded fur under control. Pisses her off. That is why she is thinking of a Doberman. I countered with the Belgian malinios. Both still shed, but, they both have shorter fur and shed less than shepards.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
A friend has a little female Malinois that grew up with my Lab. She's very bright. Her energy level is high but it's not off the charts.

I've seen enough to know that they can be trained to be effective K9s, but from what I've seen out of her, they're not excessively aggressive by nature.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
My son was a K9 officer and had/trained a german shepard dog as his companion and work dog. When that dog died he left the K9 unit for other assignments but loves dogs and he got a Belgian Malinios. Now he knows how to train dogs and he has had his hands full with the Malinios. They are very high strung and if you are not good at training dogs I would not recommend one base on what he has told me.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by 2sticks

Is there anyone on the campfire has/had malinios that is willing to give me real information?

I think I can help with that....

DON'T get a Malinois.

They are not for the casual dog owner, or even the advanced one. They need to have a real job..not just protecting the house...they NEED to be doing something. If they aren't doing something, they will make you sorry you ever thought of the idea.

Yes, they are like a GSD on crack.They are a huge liability outside the working world.

I love Mals..I love working with Mals...I would hate to have to live with one....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20

This ^^^^^^^^^^^do yourself a big favor & get another GSD from good bloodlines that haven't had a history of hip issues.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

This ^^^^^^^^^^^do yourself a big favor & get another GSD from good bloodlines that haven't had a history of hip issues.

MM

I agree with all of the above...in spades.
Posted By: 2sticks Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Thank you gentlemen. That is the exact information I needed. I do not want to get a fully capable dog and do it wrong because I am not up to it's potential. I have been successful training my dogs to my standard, but I am definitely not being sought out for my dog training ability.

The malinios is probably more than I can reasonably handle. But, they are damn cool dogs.

I may just have to get a 1970s 'pet rock'. No vet bills. Won't crap in the house. And, the best part, I will die before it does.

Thanks everyone for the the responses.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
What he said.

My Son has 3 and two are about a year old.

He has 2 males and one female,the female is just an chewing machine.

The oldest male is a little nuts but the one that is a litter mate of the female is a darn good dog.

He is training the oldest as his service dog and when he has his harness on he is on the job.

They do have a crap load of energy.
Thank you gentlemen. That is the exact information I needed. I do not want to get a fully capable dog and do it wrong because I am not up to it's potential. I have been successful training my dogs to my standard, but I am definitely not being sought out for my dog training ability.

The malinios is probably more than I can reasonably handle. But, they are damn cool dogs.

I may just have to get a 1970s 'pet rock'. No vet bills. Won't crap in the house. And, the best part, I will die before it does.

Thanks everyone for the the responses.

Good thinking...we get to review a crapload of Malinois that have been bought by people cause they are cool, and end up in a shelter. Just looked at an 8 week old pup that had already been through 3 homes! And yeah ...he was definitely working stock....And one of my students ( who now runs a shelter) just took in a 9 month old Mal, which she is training for K9 ( another "pet" turn in...)
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Sounds like you need a blue heeler
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Considered a Malinois /GS cross?
Originally Posted by BobBrown

What a dumb idea, prolly get the worst traits of both and just end up as another abandoned mongrel
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Mine keeps me busy
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Love Mals. Have a tremendous amount of admiration for their athleticism, intelligence, task focus and drive. I would not own one.

There are quite a few breeds that have a strong guarding instinct. Spend some time reading up on it. There are some surprises in the mix. Giant Schnauzers for example are smart, extremely loyal, family oriented and have a strong guarding instinct. They need a job though. Not to the extent that a Mal does. Probably more in line with a GS. Airedale terriers can also be good guard dogs. They are headstrong in general, but not unmanageable. They have been used as bear, lion and wolf dogs, and are tenacious in their given task. There are a lot of really cool breeds that would serve you well.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

What a dumb idea, prolly get the worst traits of both and just end up as another abandoned mongrel

Yep. So dumb that military and LE do it regularly, . Stupid [bleep]
https://thehappypuppysite.com/belgian-malinois-german-shepherd-mix/

Add to that US Special Forces you ignorant azz
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
My son has an 85 pound 1/2 Mal x 1/2 German Shepard male. It has grown up with his youngest son. Boy was one year old when the puppy came home. What a wonderful dog. That boy as a toddler could not take a step outside but the dog was at his side. He worshiped/still worships that little boy.

The dog has spent his life alone in the house during the days while the family was away at work or school. He did well with that life.

The dog is eight years old now and getting weak in the hips. He can no longer jump into or out of a pickup bed. But he is still faithful and attentive.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Another vote for a Heeler. Most loyal dog I've ever owned. Enough energy to go all day, but will lay down and take a nap with you. Loyal to the end. They can be a little tough to establish "pack dominance" with for a little while, but as long as they know you are the boss, they will do anything you want.

My now 3 year old used my female heeler for a pillow every day, and I would not suggest anyone she didn't know tried to pick him up.....
The Mal Shepard mix is supposed to produce a dog that is more stable and even tempered .
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
I wonder how many years until the maligators are fugged up by pet owners wanting something trendy?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
If you have to ask what kind of dog to get you definitely don’t want a malinois. My opinion is people shouldn’t get any kind of working breed unless they’re serious about working the dog, and that would mean they have had enough experience that they know what they should or shouldn’t get. Most people want pets. Most people who think they want a working dog end up with it being an underworked, overfed pet with health problems because it’s underworked and overfed poor quality food and/or they don’t want to spend the money on a dog from a real, professional breeder who knows what they’re doing and who has all the genetic testing done.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Knew a guy who had a couple Czech Shepherds. Different line of GSD but similar in many ways. They seemed strong, smart, loyal working dogs but they didn't mind lounging with their owner either. Every dog is different though. Whatever you get, figure out what the parent dogs are like and evaluate the pup for an hour or so to get a feel for it's specific temperament.
This thread reminds me of a friend long ago spending thousands on a fully trained Shepherd from Germany . While he was at work , his wife couldn’t get that dog to do anything .It would lay on their bed and couch totally ignoring the wife telling it to get down. A dog has to know its place and the owner (s) have to not be too timid to show it. I’m not saying abuse it ,but be firm and direct.
Idiots shouldn't be allowed to own sport dogs .
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
We need another good dog thread 🙂

It’s a shame that in the late 19th early 20th Century folks were driven to take what were types of dogs and inbreed the heck out of them to make genetically and physically uniform “breeds”. Read into the creation of the GSD in particular and you’ll find it’s a wonder they ain’t all on porches playing banjos.

Case in point the Belgian Shepherd dog, originally part of a herding type in mainland Europe that also became the main contributor to the GSD.

But, when saving the Belgian Shepherd Dog they hadda go inbreed it in somewhat (but not nearly so much as the GSD) to separate it into four “breeds” based mainly on coat type as seen here....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_Shepherd

From conversations with Ingwe years ago here I learned that the Tervuren variety commonly ain’t near as out there personality-wise as are Malinois. A quick browse reveals Tervurens are available for sale here in the US, but I’ll bet they are pricey, the breeders I saw too brag on being “AKC” which makes me nervous, the AKC having ruined a bunch of breed.

The wire haired Laekenois variety of the BSD breed quartet looks cool.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
I never met one I wasn’t prepared to kill. Fortunately, I never had to.
Posted By: pdXammo Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20

It is dumb and it's disrespectful to both breeds. They use rescues. No one with either a brain or a soul would do it. Go buy a frighin labradoodle to turn your wirthless cross crank.
Originally Posted by pdXammo

It is dumb and it's disrespectful to both breeds. They use rescues. No one with either a brain or a soul would do it. Go buy a frighin labradoodle to turn your wirthless cross crank.

GFY phaggot
I handle the Mals for the local rescue and have a rescued one myself. You tell people about drive and energy, they nod their heads. The reality though is outside the capacity of peoples comprehension. Even if you see it first hand the reality is that it goes all day and all night. Like the terminator, it never stops... AKC breed description says "make bad pets". I'm not exactly sure how I manage but, I have... A fairly serious case of ADHD maybe makes me similarly hyper focused and a good match, I'm not sure. Mine does insane frisbee tricks. We work on it constantly.
They're tools not toys.

GFY phaggot

Is this an invitation or just how you whine when you get your face rubbed in your stupid pile? Bad dog.

GFY phaggot

Is this an invitation or just how you whine when you get your face rubbed in your stupid pile? Bad dog.

Ok , dip chit
Thing about Mals is they are "soft" dogs. Labs are "hard" dogs. You can kick a lab around all you want and it'll still love you and obey. Your a real dick if you do but, it'l work. Mals are sensitive and will suffer. The best results come through games and play. Coercives have a place but, arenot the primary motivator. They are superstitous too. You can ruin one with a bad interaction.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
We had a 3/4 Mal 1/4 GS for about 12 years. Her name was Lola and she was awesome.

She was a year and a half when we first got her. I'll be the first to admit, we were "overdogged" when we first got her. She had just been kept outside on a chain for most of her life, we started her the same way, but, being as I'm gone a lot and my wife was home alone, before long, we had a house dog whether I wanted one or not.

She housebroke herself. What few accidents she ever had in the house were simply because we wound up being caught out and no dog should be asked to hold it that long. The big problem was chewing. She chewed my tennis shoes, house shoes, treadmill cord, "NO!" really didn't seem to work with her. One day she chewed the vaccum cord. I whipped her with it (always regretted it), but she never chewed again.

She had more personality than any dog I've ever been around. We'd "wrestle". I'd wear a Carhart and leather gloves, and she'd still find a way to draw blood. If I was on the couch and she wanted to play, she'd sniff my jeans (to make sure I had my boot on), then grab my leg and drag me into the floor.
She was athletic and FAST. She was generally good with other dogs but was VERY alpha female and would fight with another dog if it didn't submit. She would not tolerate a cat. Anywhere.

She was VERY good with kids. She was protective of small children. She'd sniff a baby, then stay close. If a baby was in it's crib, and the bedroom door was open, you'd find her laying in the floor in front of the crib. She was a constant companion to my wife (they could literally tell what the other was thinking). She had no "job" other than to be a companion.

She settled down as she got older. She never got fat. She was the smartest dog I've ever been around. Personality-wise, she had more than most people. She could say more with a look (and not all of it good) than most people can talking. She knew what you wanted her to do without asking. She could be aloof and ignore you when she took a mood. I swear the dog could tell when we were making fun of her (for one of her moods) and you could see her getting pissed. Even in her last year, every now and then, she'd let out some incredible burst of speed (even if she couldn't keep it up) or perform some acrobatic move that would amaze us.

In November of '18, she stumbled and fell in the kitchen one night, had difficulty walking, and was not in good shape. We were terrified and took her to the vet. Hermangiosarcoma. Vet said most dogs don't make it 3 months after the surgery. I told him to go ahead and do it. She lived another 13 months. We spoiled her as best we could in that time. In Dec. of '19, one night she started stumbling again. We took her to the vet the next day and had her put down. My wife had promised her that she would not let her suffer. Tearing up while I type. Still miss her.

A friend of my Father-In-Laws that trains dogs and had met and known Lola, bred his GS female to a Mal a few weeks back. We've been promised a female pup. We can't wait. A pup will be a bit more of a headache, but we'll make fewer mistakes this time. We'll socialize her from and early age. Even with cats.

Don't really understand the hate for the crosses, but, to each his/her own........

Sounds like your spring is wound a little tight
Remember we are advising about a pet for an old guy, not a battlefield dog

Sounds like your spring is wound a little tight
Remember we are advising about a pet for an old guy, not a battlefield dog

Fraggle Rock, it sounds like you are out of your league in this thread. Another ignorant poster is all you are
Posted By: northcountry Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
2 sticks I never had much good to say about Dobermans, our son had one a Red bitch , he left for school and she was left with us. She was lost for a few days then " said in so many words"said you are it and adopted me! Well that dog completely changed my way of thinking on Dobermans , She knew what I was thinking almost before I did, she would not let strange animals on the property, cats, dogs, rabbits, what ever if I didn't tell her it was OK they were history. She even ran male dogs of the property while in "season", by the way she was never altered and never came up pregnant. She would never leave the yard even with gate open unless she was told it was OK, she would cry and beg to come out but never would unless permission was given, always looked out for the family, but I was the one she always looked to and check with. That "Dog" totally changed my opinion of Dobermans, Lord I miss that Dog and she has been gone more than 20 years. Cheers NC
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Are we really in the presence of celebrity? Are you really the legendary Bobby Brown?

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Are we really in the presence of celebrity? Are you really the legendary Bobby Brown?

You wanna be a groupie or something?
Originally Posted by Potsy
We had a 3/4 Mal 1/4 GS for about 12 years. Her name was Lola and she was awesome.

She was a year and a half when we first got her. I'll be the first to admit, we were "overdogged" when we first got her. She had just been kept outside on a chain for most of her life, we started her the same way, but, being as I'm gone a lot and my wife was home alone, before long, we had a house dog whether I wanted one or not.

She housebroke herself. What few accidents she ever had in the house were simply because we wound up being caught out and no dog should be asked to hold it that long. The big problem was chewing. She chewed my tennis shoes, house shoes, treadmill cord, "NO!" really didn't seem to work with her. One day she chewed the vaccum cord. I whipped her with it (always regretted it), but she never chewed again.

She had more personality than any dog I've ever been around. We'd "wrestle". I'd wear a Carhart and leather gloves, and she'd still find a way to draw blood. If I was on the couch and she wanted to play, she'd sniff my jeans (to make sure I had my boot on), then grab my leg and drag me into the floor.
She was athletic and FAST. She was generally good with other dogs but was VERY alpha female and would fight with another dog if it didn't submit. She would not tolerate a cat. Anywhere.

She was VERY good with kids. She was protective of small children. She'd sniff a baby, then stay close. If a baby was in it's crib, and the bedroom door was open, you'd find her laying in the floor in front of the crib. She was a constant companion to my wife (they could literally tell what the other was thinking). She had no "job" other than to be a companion.

She settled down as she got older. She never got fat. She was the smartest dog I've ever been around. Personality-wise, she had more than most people. She could say more with a look (and not all of it good) than most people can talking. She knew what you wanted her to do without asking. She could be aloof and ignore you when she took a mood. I swear the dog could tell when we were making fun of her (for one of her moods) and you could see her getting pissed. Even in her last year, every now and then, she'd let out some incredible burst of speed (even if she couldn't keep it up) or perform some acrobatic move that would amaze us.

In November of '18, she stumbled and fell in the kitchen one night, had difficulty walking, and was not in good shape. We were terrified and took her to the vet. Hermangiosarcoma. Vet said most dogs don't make it 3 months after the surgery. I told him to go ahead and do it. She lived another 13 months. We spoiled her as best we could in that time. In Dec. of '19, one night she started stumbling again. We took her to the vet the next day and had her put down. My wife had promised her that she would not let her suffer. Tearing up while I type. Still miss her.

A friend of my Father-In-Laws that trains dogs and had met and known Lola, bred his GS female to a Mal a few weeks back. We've been promised a female pup. We can't wait. A pup will be a bit more of a headache, but we'll make fewer mistakes this time. We'll socialize her from and early age. Even with cats.

Don't really understand the hate for the crosses, but, to each his/her own........

Thanks for sharing . Good deal on getting a new one
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
I handle the Mals for the local rescue and have a rescued one myself. You tell people about drive and energy, they nod their heads. The reality though is outside the capacity of peoples comprehension. Even if you see it first hand the reality is that it goes all day and all night. Like the terminator, it never stops... AKC breed description says "make bad pets". I'm not exactly sure how I manage but, I have... A fairly serious case of ADHD maybe makes me similarly hyper focused and a good match, I'm not sure. Mine does insane frisbee tricks. We work on it constantly.
They're tools not toys.

Ours get what we call crazy eyes, when he get that watch out, dam dog knocked our couch over, when he gets like that, wife and I just turn our back on him and he will come between my legs for me to calm him down. Have a friend that comes over all the time and Zeus always gets along with him, one day I was out in the field and he came over with my wife home alone, well he wasent allowed to get out of his car. Came home and knocked on his window and asked why he was in his car, told him to come in he asked you sure.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
We're German Shorthair Pointer fans here and may not ever own another breed but if we needed a guard dog, I've always thought the Rottweiler looked like a good option. Surprised they haven't come up in the conversation. From those in the know, how would these rate for an average owner?
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Another vote for a Heeler. Most loyal dog I've ever owned. Enough energy to go all day, but will lay down and take a nap with you. Loyal to the end. They can be a little tough to establish "pack dominance" with for a little while, but as long as they know you are the boss, they will do anything you want.

My now 3 year old used my female heeler for a pillow every day, and I would not suggest anyone she didn't know tried to pick him up.....

I agree. I have two Australian Cattle Dogs (red and blue heeler) I use for herding competition and they are my best buddies. They are great dogs and very loyal. I also feel very, very sorry for anyone who attempts to break in to my house or attempts to enter without my instruction to, "leave it." My Heelers also need a job to do but I've seen many Malinois in the herding arena and think they'd be difficult unless you are willing to be totally devoted to spend most of your time with the dog. Most of those I saw compete where handled by law enforcement people and even though the owners had a good handle on the dogs, they were usually disqualified due to over-aggression on the stock. Of course, I've been disqualified many times for the same issue with my heelers.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
No one I know that is serious about having well a trained dog has ever said anything positive about a Doberman.

I absolutely love German shepherds, but the house full of hair gives my wife too much ammo against me. I have had two German shepherds and I have never been able to to brush them enough to keep shedded fur under control. Pisses her off. That is why she is thinking of a Doberman. I countered with the Belgian malinios. Both still shed, but, they both have shorter fur and shed less than shepards.

I will be the first in your book then.

I rescued a Dobemarman that had come from a very high end breeder in KS. Obvious he had had some training before I got him but I never really figured to what extent and what his commands were.

My doberman was about the most devoted dog I have ever been around and I have been around more than most. Reading about dobermans, I learned their nickname is velcro. Because once they bond with you, they are attached to you like velcro.

Once he settled in here, I had ZERO concern about anyone doing anything to anyone in my family. My kids had an absolute rule, if they were home, that dog was in the house with them.

Couple different times he went after a person was when he perceived them coming after me or a friend or one of my kids. He would absolutely let them know he meant business. Was very loud and aggressive. Snapped or nipped once and then stood his ground. Could easily have bitten the crap out of those people. But he just nipped once and then held them off until I was able to get to him and call him off.

I am really counting the days until I can get another doberman.
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
I might be the exception to all the above, I am in my twenty first year of sharing my home/ life with 2 different Belgians, both females. It’s true about their stubbornness and drive, both mine were and are extremely interested in small animals, cats, squirrels and possums beware! Both were/are extremely protective of my home, but both As gentle as can be with my wife and I. My only consideration on getting another would be if I felt that I could uphold my part of the mental stimulation and physical part of owning a Mal. My current Mal is a big lapdog, literally, 65 lbs of sweetheart!
I agree that they are getting trendy and lots of them will not fare well when the new wears off.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Dobies
Can be sensitive in the extreme. Training has to be gentle and patient. Separation from their favorite human can make them depressed.

Weimarieners and German shorthaired pointers
Both are great breeds, but am partial to gsp. Point is, both are general purpose breeds with more or less drive that can be managed by an average owner. Both can do family protection. Gsps seem a bit more devoted and protective without making a nuisance of themselves. Can be too high energy but the addition of a second dog makes them just about the perfect all rounder as the other dog provides an energy outlet.

Great Danes
Maybe a gd resue could fill the less hairy ptotective gap. Two buddies went this route with success. A local older couple did, too. Remarkably mild breed but can get protective when occasion calss for it.
Thing about Mals is they are "soft" dogs. Labs are "hard" dogs. You can kick a lab around all you want and it'll still love you and obey. Your a real dick if you do but, it'l work. Mals are sensitive and will suffer. The best results come through games and play. Coercives have a place but, arenot the primary motivator. They are superstitous too. You can ruin one with a bad interaction.

This is the way it is with Chessies as well. That's one reason labs are so popular with the hunt test/field trial crowd. As with a Chessie, you have to work WITH the dog. These two breeds are not pack-oriented. They're independent thinkers. The first rule of dog training is, "You need to be smarter than the dog." Thus, a lot of people can train labs and GSD's...not so many Mals or Chessies.
Posted By: Malloy805 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
And at the other end of the spectrum... wink

Originally Posted by cra1948

This is the way it is with Chessies as well. That's one reason labs are so popular with the hunt test/field trial crowd. As with a Chessie, you have to work WITH the dog. These two breeds are not pack-oriented. They're independent thinkers. The first rule of dog training is, "You need to be smarter than the dog." Thus, a lot of people can train labs and GSD's...not so many Mals or Chessies.

Actually, Labradors are much higher on the intelligence scale than both Malanois and Chesapeakes. In the four years I've had my Lab (with me pretty much 24/7) he has picked up so much language that I think he could speak simple sentences if he had the proper vocalization tools.

I've never made any attempt to teach him any words. He just picks up on them,..and very quickly if it's something that he's particularly interested in. He's also very tuned into body language.

He's a full member of our pack and he knows what the pack is doing or getting ready to do at all times.
Posted By: deflave Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20

^^^This person has no fugking clue what he's talking about.^^^^
Labs are easily some of the stupidest dogs I have ever been around. Doesn't mean their a bad dog.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Bless you and may the Lord be with you. Bobby Brown. Be Well, RZ
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Bless you and may the Lord be with you. Bobby Brown. Be Well, RZ

Happy Trails

Bob
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Labs are easily some of the stupidest dogs I have ever been around. Doesn't mean their a bad dog.

What do they do that's "stupid"?
#SqueakyZipperGetsGrease
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Labs are pretty good dogs for an outdoorsman. Some are capable of pointing birds. Obviously they are natural retrievers.

He's typing hurtful things because he never liked my bird dog in Montana.

Pay his comments no mind. He's just being mean.

lol, it's not always about you DIVA.

Just natural intelligence. Been around a bunch of dogs, outliers occur for sure, but by and large some breeds and types tend to be less intelligent than others.

You're all about eugenics with people, but not dogs?

Just natural intelligence. Been around a bunch of dogs, outliers occur for sure, but by and large some breeds and types tend to be less intelligent than others.

You're only saying hurtful things because you never liked my bird dog.

Spare us your bullschit.

On the Fire , it’s always about the FLAVE.......always

You're only saying hurtful things because you never liked my bird dog.

Spare us your bullschit.

bwahahaha

Lab owners always get so puzzy hurt, almost as bad as pit owners. Sorry buddy, I don't care how much you wish it otherwise it is what it is.

Oh, and I never disliked your dog. You're wrong about that.
Here is an old pic of Gruff and I hunting with my bird dog:

Do you think he ever said anything nice about my dog?

No. Only hate.
LOL

Between the 2 of US, who is more likely to be nice to a dog? hmmm? Hell you never let me even pet him!

He was good at what he did, and was good looking. But your incessant bragging on him required me to balance the universe sometimes maybe.

Conversely, Gruff paid like $1,000 for these worthless pieces of fugkin' schit.

To this day the only reasoning he can give is that he's lonely and needs affection.

Did I say mean things?

No. I embraced them and say only nice things.
LOL

Between the 2 of US, who is more likely to be nice to a dog? hmmm? Hell you never let me even pet him!

He was good at what he did, and was good looking. But your incessant bragging on him required me to balance the universe sometimes maybe.

You say only mean things about other people's dogs and children.
Are not companionship and affection reason enough? sheesh! crucify me already
LOL

You say only mean things about other people's dogs and children.

Only if they are ill-behaved and/or retarded.

How in the fug is it possible to "disrespect" an animal?

Is it also disrespectful to cross angus with hereford cattle?
Quarter horses with morgans?
Hampshire with yorkshire hogs?

In each case the crossbred animals are more vigorous, healthier, and better performers than their progenitors/

Every breed of dog in existence came about from a combination of crosses and line breeding. One can often create a dog superior in regards to a specific need through a cross. That does nothing to dilute the genetics of the registered parental strains.
Are not companionship and affection reason enough? sheesh! crucify me already

F a g.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

In each case the crossbred animals are more vigorous, healthier, and better performers than their progenitors/

Every breed of dog in existence came about from a combination of crosses and line breeding. One can often create a dog superior in regards to a specific need through a cross. That does nothing to dilute the genetics of the registered parental strains.

She is an ignorant [bleep]

Conversely, Gruff paid like $1,000 for these worthless pieces of fugkin' schit.

To this day the only reasoning he can give is that he's lonely and needs affection.

Did I say mean things?

No. I embraced them and say only nice things.

Go ahead and pass out in the snow on a damn cold night. Those dogs will come and lay with me and keep me warm and safe. Your bird dog sure as hell wouldn't!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Another German Shepherd or Cane Corso. My male of 14 years had to put him down. Got my female who is now 2 years old and just bought another male pup German Shepherd, had him for a week. Pups are alot of work.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
My Anatolian Shepherd steals my gloves.

And is sneaky as hell.

Go ahead and pass out in the snow on a damn cold night. Those dogs will come and lay with me and keep me warm and safe. Your bird dog sure as hell wouldn't!

Point to labs for signs of intelligence...

No. Only hate.

Happier times....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My Anatolian Shepherd steals my gloves.

And is sneaky as hell.

Damn sight smarter than a lab too.

No. Only hate.

Happier times....

We both got punched shortly after that was taken.

By each other.

No. Only hate.

Happier times....

Was a fun afternoon. Before he left me for Haiti.

Actually, Labradors are much higher on the intelligence scale than both Malanois and Chesapeakes. In the four years I've had my Lab (with me pretty much 24/7) he has picked up so much language that I think he could speak simple sentences if he had the proper vocalization tools.

I've never made any attempt to teach him any words. He just picks up on them,..and very quickly if it's something that he's particularly interested in. He's also very tuned into body language.

He's a full member of our pack and he knows what the pack is doing or getting ready to do at all times.

I don't put much stock in these "dog intelligence scales." As far as picking up vocabulary, most dogs can pick up about 20 words used with them regularly. Hell, my wife's little papillons know what we're talking about all the time. We've gotten to spelling some words around them and they've figured out a few of those. I swear, also, they try their damnedest to try to speak. That's got nothing to do, however, with how well a working dog can do a job with a minimal level of direction. That's where the malinois and the chesapeake have got it all over pack-oriented breeds like labs. My son was assigned a malinois for a while and, while I never saw that dog, I did participate in some training exercises with him and some of his coworkers, one of whom had a malinois. The dog had obvious critical thinking skills. Another area where superior critical thinking skills in a breed really show up is in doing blind retrieves. Labs do well in hunt test blinds where they can be whistled and signaled in by the handler (who knows where the bird is.) In a real hunting situation, where a bird has gone down in heavy cover and once you send the dog you can't see him, much less give him any direction, my chessie will eventually come out with the bird. The dog knows enough to run a pattern and will keep at it until he finds it. That's not something you can train into the dog, they've either got it or they haven't. In my experience, labs don't tend to have it.

No. Only hate.

Happier times....

Was a fun afternoon. Before he left me for Haiti.

How you gonna keep em on the farm once they've seen Carl Hungus?
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
I'll add another possible. A Black Russian Terrier, google one. Probably not what you think unless you know them. Very protective and not aggressive. I've had Doberman's GSD and others. Mals are high energy and need a job or they are not happy. Very high prey drive as well. The BRT has a very low prey drive, will not chase things or people. They draw a line and if something crosses it.... Dreading the day Layla passes, she is almost nine now. and ten or eleven is the norm.
Posted By: duck9ll Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
You guys should be watching the NFL instead of arguing about dogs.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
These threads are almost as bad as trucks or chainsaws. We all have a favorite I suppose.
I got a Female Rottweiler for my wife back when I traveled for work and she was left home alone. It was an absolutely fantastic dog. She got cancer in the spine at 6 1/2 and having been so good my wife chose a male Rott to take her place. It was awful, and as it matured showed signs of inbreeding. AKC papers or not it was inbred. I've had a bull headed Chessy, a lazy poop eating lab that cost twice as much as much as some better dogs. GSP's are great pets if you have a real yard and can throw a ball a million times before taking them out for training or hunting sessions.

We currently have a papered GS that's very intelligent and well mannered but a handful, at two years old. It's our sons and she's with us until he returns from deployment. We have a GS/BM female that has been ok but not as high energy as has been indicated. She's a good watch dog, easy to train, but she's getting weak in the hips at 7yrs.

Our mix mutt is a GS/ McNabb cross and she's not going to be easy to replace. She's smart, protective, and probably the most aggressive of the three when it comes to strangers.

I believe regardless of "breed", it's most important to get one that isn't inbred for the purpose of having it look like an AKC champ, and has the demeanor that you can handle.

Were I shopping for one right now I would probably consider a Rotty or a Kengal.

I don't put much stock in these "dog intelligence scales." As far as picking up vocabulary, most dogs can pick up about 20 words used with them regularly. Hell, my wife's little papillons know what we're talking about all the time. We've gotten to spelling some words around them and they've figured out a few of those. I swear, also, they try their damnedest to try to speak. That's got nothing to do, however, with how well a working dog can do a job with a minimal level of direction. That's where the malinois and the chesapeake have got it all over pack-oriented breeds like labs. My son was assigned a malinois for a while and, while I never saw that dog, I did participate in some training exercises with him and some of his coworkers, one of whom had a malinois. The dog had obvious critical thinking skills. Another area where superior critical thinking skills in a breed really show up is in doing blind retrieves. Labs do well in hunt test blinds where they can be whistled and signaled in by the handler (who knows where the bird is.) In a real hunting situation, where a bird has gone down in heavy cover and once you send the dog you can't see him, much less give him any direction, my chessie will eventually come out with the bird. The dog knows enough to run a pattern and will keep at it until he finds it. That's not something you can train into the dog, they've either got it or they haven't. In my experience, labs don't tend to have it.

A sure fire way to determine if somebody knows anything about dogs is to listen to them opine about "intelligence" levels of varying breeds.

They're fugking dogs.

They either have inherent characteristics and traits that the owner requires for specific tasks, or they don't. Those characteristics and traits can be diminished or enhanced based on training, but they can never be instilled or removed.

There is no "intelligent" dog.
Originally Posted by duck9ll
You guys should be watching the NFL instead of arguing about dogs.

Howdy, ya liberal puke

Labs find it, point it, retrieve it.

Posted By: fburgtx Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Neighbor across the street “fostered” a “shepadoodle” (for a soldier who was leaving the country for 6 months). German shepherd/poodle cross. He loved the thing so much, he just got one of his own from way up in Pennsylvania.

They’re kinda shaggy looking, but they don’t shed much. (Maybe not enough of that German Shepherd look for you).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.

A sure fire way to determine if somebody knows anything about dogs is to listen to them opine about "intelligence" levels of varying breeds.

They're fugking dogs.

They either have inherent characteristics and traits that the owner requires for specific tasks, or they don't. Those characteristics and traits can be diminished or enhanced based on training, but they can never be instilled or removed.

Sometimes one of those traits sought after is the ability to adjust fire and problem solve outside of a human's commands. If that's not intelligence I don't know what is.

You're just lying to yourself because your dog was retarded and you think everyone else's is too. wink

They're fugking dogs.

Possibly, but some are a whole lot more stupid than others.

Ever try to teach an afghan hound........anything?
On the other hand border collies are well known as easy to train.
Anyone who has a Labrador and hasn't noticed that they can think isn't very observant.
Anyone who has a Labrador and hasn't noticed that they can think isn't very observant.

I used to think my 2wd V6 1500 was badass too. Then I realized it is, but not in the way I thought it was. wink

Sometimes one of those traits sought after is the ability to adjust fire and problem solve outside of a human's commands. If that's not intelligence I don't know what is.

You're just lying to yourself because your dog was retarded and you think everyone else's is too. wink

Says the guy that buys dogs so he has something to cuddle with.

LOL

What was the name of that blimp that was always growling and snapping at people before it finally fugkin' died?

Oh for fugk sake.

I used to think my 2wd V6 1500 was badass too. Then I realized it is, but not in the way I thought it was. wink

At first glance, you comment doesn't appear to have schitt to do with anything being discussed in this thread.

But that happens on here quite a bit.

"Labs can think"

"Oh yeah?,..2wd V6 1500!"

At first glance, you comment doesn't appear to have schitt to do with anything being discussed in this thread.

"Labs can think"

People "think."

Dogs do what they do.
Say "company's coming" to my dog, he spins in a circle then goes to watch out the window. That's not instinct. Dog's aren't bred with an instinct to wait for visitors when they're told that someone is coming.

That's just one example.

Most dogs exhibit the ability to think, of course. They're not just hollow headed bags of instinct.

Pretty much everybody who has dogs knows that.
Say "company's coming" to my dog, he spins in a circle then goes to watch out the window. That's not instinct. Dog's aren't bred with an instinct to wait for visitors when they're told that someone is coming.

That's just one example.

He is honed in on the things you and your wife do before people visit and he's excited about it.

It's a learned behavior.

He is not "thinking."

Labs find it, point it, retrieve it.

That's a nice little video, but I didn't see anything like a difficult blind retrieve. The dog was able to mark a real close, easy fall in pretty open country. Hell, my brother's golden retriever could handle that.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/25/20
Some people think general dog intelligence tests matter. Some people think IQ and SAT tests are racist too.

"Labs can think"

Apparently I gave you too much credit. I'll speak more simply to you in the future.
Bristoe and Gruff have something in common.

None of their dogs have ever done anything.

Ever.

LOL
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
My first dog at this house was a little 8lb rat terrier, used to get into it with two big dogs at their fence down the street. Everybody would run up and down growling and barking, my dog would pee on their fence, thought he was kicking their a$$es.

One morning same thing, then both dogs suddenly stopped, looked at him and then disappeared in back of the house.

A moment later both dogs come running down the block, their owner had left the backyard gate open. My dog runs out confidently to meet ‘em, I’m running after him going NOOOO!

They start to mix it up, they see me running, they run off one of them carrying little Sparky in his mouth, drops him a couple of bounds later. Sparky had a look of shocked disbelief, forgot all about it the next day, business as usual, the dogs never got loose again.

The point is those two dogs thought for a moment, remembered the back gate was open, and put two and two together.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
I will only go so far as to say dog breeds do display varying levels of intelligence in that some are much easier to train than other breeds are. But even the most intelligent dog has little ability to problem solve. Maybe akin to a 1 year old child.

Horses are much the same way. Some strains and some breeds have proven to me to be much easier to train. Some strains are also much more friendly to humans than others, which also aids in their training and makes the breaking process much easier.

Some horses will convince you they can problem solve. As in a quarter horse which used to push the cows through a fence and knock it down so he could get out.

Or many horses which use their teeth to untie a knot in their tie rope so they can escape. Or others which operate a gate latch and escape their paddock.

I used to stake our small herd of horses out on a long rope in an aspen thicket to clean up the grass. A few of them learned how to unwind their rope from trees after getting wound up. Others just stand there and wait for someone to come help.

Problem solving? Perhaps. But I always just figured they accidentally stumbled upon the proper method and remembered.
Posted By: deflave Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My first dog at this house was a little 8lb rat terrier, used to get into it with two big dogs at their fence down the street. Everybody would run up and down growling and barking, my dog would pee on their fence, thought he was kicking their a$$es.

One morning same thing, then both dogs suddenly stopped, looked at him and then disappeared in back of the house.

A moment later both dogs come running down the block, their owner had left the backyard gate open. My dog runs out confidently to meet ‘em, I’m running after him going NOOOO!

They start to mix it up, they see me running, they run off one of them carrying little Sparky in his mouth, drops him a couple of bounds later. Sparky had a look of shocked disbelief, forgot all about it the next day, business as usual, the dogs never got loose again.

The point is those two dogs thought for a moment, remembered the back gate was open, and put two and two together.

Birdfugker,

You've never owned a dog in your life!

LOL
Posted By: deflave Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
I will only go so far as to say dog breeds do display varying levels of intelligence in that some are much easier to train than other breeds are. But even the most intelligent dog has little ability to problem solve. Maybe akin to a 1 year old child.

Horses are much the same way. Some strains and some breeds have proven to me to be much easier to train. Some strains are also much more friendly to humans than others, which also aids in their training and makes the breaking process much easier.

Some horses will convince you they can problem solve. As in a quarter horse which used to push the cows through a fence and knock it down so he could get out.

Or many horses which use their teeth to untie a knot in their tie rope so they can escape. Or others which operate a gate latch and escape their paddock.

I used to stake our small herd of horses out on a long rope in an aspen thicket to clean up the grass. A few of them learned how to unwind their rope from trees after getting wound up. Others just stand there and wait for someone to come help.

Problem solving? Perhaps. But I always just figured they accidentally stumbled upon the proper method and remembered.

I know fugk all about horses and I hope to keep it that way. I hate every GD one of them.

Your thoughts on dogs are laughable.

Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Birdfugker,

You've never owned a dog in your life!

LOL

Ya, that must be it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Anyhoo here's our three dogs at the time, hadda be about 2004, seen here in "down - stay" mode. That would be Sparky on the left. Pepper in the middle was running with a pack of rat terriers on a ranch until she was 15 weeks, too late, she alway knew she was a dog and not a human. Got out of the yard one night, never saw her again.

Tarn on the end is the dog in my avatar, best dog I ever had, seen here about a year old. One of them dogs just eerily smart, even did hand signals. She was a generic ranch mutt, I always figured heeler/sheepdog but given her color and physical proportions, coulda been kelpie/sheepdog. Found her in a filthy pen at a feed store south of town, $15, maybe 10 weeks old, hard bellied with worms. I bought her because with all of that she was still looking out at the world with the same good natured, interested expression seen in this photo. I weren't wrong.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
We have had a few dogs, but since we got Dillon, I don't
think there will be anything but Boxers here.
He is asleep under the covers with my wife at the moment, let there be a noise
or a knock, and he will be on it.

I don't know if he would bite, hope to never know.
I do know there have been a couple people here he didn't
like. Bristled up when he first saw them, stayed between them and my family.

I also know he doesn't like roughouse playing unless it's him and I.
Wife and I get to carrying on, he gets wound up and will grab me.
Can't call it a bite, he just gets a hold of me.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
I bought a female when she was 5 weeks old. I won't bore you with tales of her but just mention a few things I think might be relevant for anyone thinking of getting a Belgian Malinois.

The first time I saw her she looked me square in the eye and just stared.

She is a natural tracker and has done so effortlessly since day one at 5 weeks.

Biting came natural to her and was usually her first solution to a problem but with lots of work she is friendly with most everyone.

She is neither a guard dog or even a good watch dog, mostly due to her lack of training in those areas.

She can be very stubborn and insistent and can outlast most people in a battle of wills.

She is not a good fighter.

She has a dog door and has always been able to come and go as she pleases over a couple square miles of mostly timber and old overgrown agricultural fields. We spend most of every day together even going to town so she isn't frustrated but still managed to do wrong when she was younger, here are a couple examples.

At about 3 months old she got up in the middle of the night and tore the entire end out of my leather couch. This happened after several weeks of me stopping her from chewing on it during the day. Subsequently she showed little interest in it

In the following couple of months she broke the back side window out of my truck twice. The first time was because she wanted to go into the local grocery where I was shopping. The second was Wal-Mart. Both times she succesfully entered the stores and found me. Once she had entered those stores she was content to wait outside in the truck.

For a while she spent her day stealing eggs and eating them. She could tell when a hen was going to lay before the even headed for the nest and would wait outside the nest while they were laying and would bark at them if they took too long.

She tore the metal corner protectors off my house and destroyed them.

She also has a strong herding drive and leapt out the truck window at about 20 MPH to chase some cattle even though she has plenty of livestock around the house.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
We have had a few dogs, but since we got Dillon, I don't
think there will be anything but Boxers here.
He is asleep under the covers with my wife at the moment, let there be a noise
or a knock, and he will be on it.

I don't know if he would bite, hope to never know.
I do know there have been a couple people here he didn't
like. Bristled up when he first saw them, stayed between them and my family.

I also know he doesn't like roughouse playing unless it's him and I.
Wife and I get to carrying on, he gets wound up and will grab me.
Can't call it a bite, he just gets a hold of me.

A friend had a big male Boxer,....very intense dog,..never took his eyes off of anyone visiting and didn't like any of them. If you made a sudden move around him he would alert. I made the mistake of stomping my foot while I was in the middle of describing something while he was nearby. It's a good thing I had on a pair of leather boots. He lurched at me and grabbed my foot in his mouth very tightly.

My friend had to go pick up his mail at the post office for a long time because the Boxer broke the front window out of the house and went after the mailman.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Bristoe and Gruff have something in common.

None of their dogs have ever done anything.

Ever.

LOL

Properly fed, well conditioned Labrador. A lean 78 pounds.

His linage comes from people who breed them lean and houndy.

https://www.holzingerkennels.com/dogs_of_the_past.html

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free screenshot software

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: shaman Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
About 35 years ago I had my one and only run-in with a BM. There was a cook-out at my buddy's house and some guy brought his BM to the picnic. There was a lake in the backyard, and I went down to investigate. When I started back up the hill to the house, the BM decided that I should not come back to the party and did his herding thing on me.

I was about 225. The dog was well over 100. He never showed a bit of aggression, but he was going to make sure I didn't get back up that hill. I assumed the role of a very intelligent sheep. There was nothing I could do to make any real advance up the hill, and over the next couple of minutes, that dog got me backed down the hill and heading towards the water. It was like playing football with a 4-legged Tackle.

Finally, the owner woke up to what was going on and called the dog off. We all had fun. It was no big thing, but I was mightily impressed with that dog's intelligence. When the dog broke it off, there was a brief look he gave me that said, "I'd have had you in the water, and you know that."
Posted By: pdXammo Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20

You conflate not understanding with truth. Maybe an analogy of putting a ford engine in a chevy would help? I'm not sure. There's no reason to do it and all it does is muddy up bloodlines. The Mal has a lot more to offer the GSD. To put the GSD into a Mal is an afront to it. Their strength has been their diversity. The lack therof is the downfall of the GSD.

They do have varying degrees of intelligence but, that's not the end of the story. Drive figures into the equation too. Mals' are like A- intelligence.but, it's their drive to work that makes them preternatural learners.
Labs are very intelligent too. It's their tolerance of stone-age training techniques that d-bags like dick flavor are likely to inflict on them.

^^^This person has no fugking clue what he's talking about.^^^^

You're a loudmouth moron that's reliable to opine on just about everything. That's a reliable indicator of knowing very little about all things and a deep level of insecurity about it. Look into Dunning-Krueger and sit with that one a little. Burn your copy of Water Dog and make nice with the women trainers "ruining" your sport. 1950 called and it wants it's training back. I feel sorry for your animal.
I pick up the pieces that are left after schmucks like you have a go at dogs they have no business owning. I first owned a Mal by accident. Rather than thinking, I knew everything about them having been around water dogs my whole life I pressed into knowledge with some humility. I learned many things that if I was a cocky p_ick I'd have never figured out.
See, I know that I will never be the people I've learned from but, I sure can follow the VISIBLE RESULTS they demonstrate. The last place I'd go for anything would be "some dude" that comments on every single damn topic that gets posted. That's got to be evidence of some significant personality disorder. Now, you'll respond with a bunch of drivel about you did this or that and I'm garbage blah blah. No curiosity, no humility, only telling.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Malanois- nothing compares for their desire to learn and please as well as their athleticism is almost supernatural. My best friend (who has a ton of dog experience with multiple breeds) has one and says it’s the best dog he has ever had, by far. If you want to talk to him and get feedback from an actual owner, hit him up on Facebook messenger (Dan Ambrosius), a national championship slingshot shooter as well.
Posted By: jpb Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Originally Posted by ingwe

I think I can help with that....

DON'T get a Malinois.

They are not for the casual dog owner, or even the advanced one. They need to have a real job..not just protecting the house...they NEED to be doing something. If they aren't doing something, they will make you sorry you ever thought of the idea.

Yes, they are like a GSD on crack.They are a huge liability outside the working world.

I love Mals..I love working with Mals...I would hate to have to live with one....

For those of you who may not know, Ingwe is not only a dog trainer, but he teaches dog trainers professionally.

He is being modest about posting his qualifications but fer Christ sake's just do what he says.

John
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
I don't listen to folks that tell me I can't have a Belgian Malinois .

[Linked Image]

Now you boys stay in your room and be quite .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/26/20
Someone should breed mal's with pit's and turn them loose on playgrounds all across the country.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/27/20

They do have varying degrees of intelligence but, that's not the end of the story. Drive figures into the equation too. Mals' are like A- intelligence.but, it's their drive to work that makes them preternatural learners.
Labs are very intelligent too. It's their tolerance of stone-age training techniques that d-bags like dick flavor are likely to inflict on them.

few years ago was at a wedding out in the country for a relative. they had a buffet line set up with lots of good food. i was in line and noticed something bumping me in the rear, it was a horse, wanting to get at the veggie table. cowchicky relative grabbed his roped tied hi to a fence.
i watched that horse untie hiself and get back in line. If she would have sold him, i would have bought him on the spot.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/27/20

You conflate not understanding with truth. Maybe an analogy of putting a ford engine in a chevy would help? I'm not sure. There's no reason to do it and all it does is muddy up bloodlines. The Mal has a lot more to offer the GSD. To put the GSD into a Mal is an afront to it. Their strength has been their diversity. The lack therof is the downfall of the GSD.

Drivel drivel drivel

Get the fugk over the fact you know nothing about the subject at hand

Fugking moron
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Belgian malinios? - 10/27/20
If anyone wants to know about Mal's, German Shepherds, Dutch Shepherds, PM me. I've handled for the past 13 yrs. I'm on my 3rd ( and hopefully last LOL ).
© 24hourcampfire