Home
The VarmintWife and I were excited for last nights opening episode of the TV series "Big Sky".
We had taped it and watched it commercial free - we both gave it a somewhat enthusiastic thumbs up.
If I keep watching these various TV series showing so much murder, mayhem and maniacal Montanans in them I will be afraid to go outside pretty soon!
Anyway I enjoyed it and was surprised by some of the plot twists.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I lasted about 10 minutes. Not my cup of tea. Won't watch it again.
My wife recorded it, it was better than I expected. C.J. Box is one of the producers and the story is based on one of his book series. Loved the ending scene.

mike r
Lvmiker: Mike r is the book series called "Big Sky"?
Wasn't aware of that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I liked it. I tend to like David Kelley's work & we share the exact birth date. We also watched the NCIS season premier and wondered what that opening scene was all about.
I'm not sure of the series name I just caught it during the credits. It was different from the series w/ the Wy. game warden.

mike r
Not on a series just one of his books - The Highway.
Heeler: Thank you for that - I will keep an eye out for that title.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Watching it now! It started out pretty crappy, but is getting better. If they can make it anywhere near as good as the books, it will be a good series! memtb
Never heard of such a thing.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Never heard of such a thing.

Books or tv?

mike r
I like that scene in Crocodile Dundee when he turns on the TV in that fancy New York hotel.
I watched it last night. It’s fugking weird. I thought the lot lizard that got kidnapped just seemed......off. Well I did a little googling, and I don’t think I’ll be watching it anymore.

For all you guys raving about it, I suggest you do the same.
BillyGoat
Why? What should we Google?

Read the books, know the plot, it's kind boring to me.
My wife liked it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_Keitel

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/amp34715828/jesse-james-keitel-big-sky/

Basically the critter playing the lot lizard is some kinda perverted freakshow. In real life and on the show. Going forward it’s going to be a big part of the plot, making this shift as mainstream as possible.
Not a fan of CJ. When he writes about guns, he tries to sound knowledgeable but spews BS. Talking about "the 6.5 Creedmoor Magnum" and such.
Thanks I didn't find that.

The second link was hard to read.
All the pandering to the poor confused bastards makes it impossible to follow.
He/she. Them? All used about the same person.

I don't hate them, more sympathy or disdane
Life must be a bitch, when you are that messed up.

Heck, most average people have self doubt or some confidence issue at some point.
Can you imagine how screwed up they are?

Then, society comes along and promotes the deal.
WTF? If they need anything, it's help.

I think I sent that link to my wife. Tried anyway
Doubt she will want to watch anymore.
Was literally like 3 clicks. Search the title of the show, the cast shows up. Click the actor playing the whore. That brings up a plethora of articles. Abominable, disgusting fugking shidt. On mainstream tv.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The VarmintWife and I were excited for last nights opening episode of the TV series "Big Sky".
We had taped it and watched it commercial free - we both gave it a somewhat enthusiastic thumbs up.
If I keep watching these various TV series showing so much murder, mayhem and maniacal Montanans in them I will be afraid to go outside pretty soon!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Wife had it on last night.. What a laugh.. Horrible - all the way around..
Wonder how many they sucked in with the title “borrowed” from the A.B. Guthrie classic?

I got sucked into this thread, so that’s one.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Was literally like 3 clicks. Search the title of the show, the cast shows up. Click the actor playing the whore. That brings up a plethora of articles. Abominable, disgusting fugking shidt. On mainstream tv.

Agreed. About puked in my mouth reading about it.
Someday I am gonna get me some TV so I can find out what the hell you city types are always talking about.
Watched it and loved it.

Was quite surprised that they killed off a main character in the very first episode. Ryan Phillippe is (was) the best known actor in the whole show and used prominently in the TV promos of the show to draw viewers.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That's how I feel after watching the news!
Some folks here may recall the REAL Big Sky kidnapping and murder, circa 1984.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-07-10-vw-2601-story.html
Big Sky and Yellowstone tv series are not exactly reality. Goes along with the 2020 schitshow we are living in.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Someday I am gonna get me some TV so I can find out what the hell you city types are always talking about.

Don't do it Jim!!!!!
The only positive thing I can say about this abortion is Katheryn Winnick. You’d have to work hard to make her ugly.

That last scene took my wife and I by surprise
I watched it last night. It’s fugking weird. I thought the lot lizard that got kidnapped just seemed......off. Well I did a little googling, and I don’t think I’ll be watching it anymore.

For all you guys raving about it, I suggest you do the same.

Wife and I both thought the prostitute was a dude right away.

Somebody please tell me that's not Harvey Keitel's spawn....
Pretty pathetic. Anyone who has been in the Paradise Valley know this was filmed about a zillion miles to the south and west, just before you fall off into the ocean. Trees with moss? Are you fkm? When was the last time you saw a truck trailer with floor lights? And I only tuned in for the last half hour -- I did like the head shot at the end, that was a twist, but that show really has nothing Montana presented in it at all. I'm done. I've never heard of CJ Box either, and don't really care now.
Originally Posted by Heeler
One of the characters is the main character in other books by CJ Box.
Originally Posted by joken2
Was quite surprised that they killed off a main character in the very first episode. Ryan Phillippe is (was) the best known actor in the whole show and used prominently in the TV promos of the show to draw viewers.

HUH?
Is this on regular cable or do you need to pay for a streaming service?

Originally Posted by tpcollins

Anything that carries regular ABC national network TV -- air antenna / cable / satellite / streaming.
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Heeler
One of the characters is the main character in other books by CJ Box.

10-4. I misread where I found the info then.

And yes, Katheryn Winnick is en fuego.

Originally Posted by muleshoe

HUH?

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/big-sky-abc-ryan-phillippe-cody-hoyt/

The David E. Kelley-produced crime drama Big Sky premiered its first episode Tuesday night on ABC. Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, it’s thus far the first and only new pilot from ABC this fall season. And as you may have heard by now, it concludes with one hell of a bang.

The series is set in “big sky” country in Montana and finds two young teenage girls, Grace and Danielle being abducted by a creepy trucker. That puts Danielle’s boyfriends estranged parents, Jenny Hoyt (Katherine Winnick) and Cody Hoyt (Ryan Phillippe) on the case to find them along with their P.I. pal Cassie Dewell (Kylie Bunbury).

Of course, as episode one reveals, it looks as though Jenny and Cassie will be the only two pursuing the case of the missing young women as Cody Hoyt is now indisposed. He’s dead, you see. When Cody visits Highway Patrol cop Rick Legarski (John Caroll Lynch) and shares his suspicions that a cult of truckers and ne’er-do-wells are kidnapping women, Rick all but confirms his suspicions with a bullet to the head.

This is a very bold twist for any network drama to take. Ryan Phillippe is a big name find and seemed poised to recapture his mid-’90s teen throb thunder as the stoic male lead of this sure-to-be popular drama. And yet, Kelley and his team of writers decide to stay true to the show’s novel source material (The Highway by C.J. Box) and kill off their ostensible lead in shocking, sudden fashion.

Introducing a big-name actor only to kill them off in the early goings is not unheard of in pop culture. Several classic horror movies have found success with the formula as Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho killed Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) early on and Wes Craven’s Scream did the same with Casey Becker (Drew Barrymore). On television, however, the act of killing a protagonist off in pilots in a rarity – likely because pilots are very precarious things and no one wants to risk alienating an audience before they even have one. Shows like The Shield, Oz, and Watchmen have all killed major characters early on…but not the major character. One classic network drama from the past, however, came really close and the writers were discouraged from doing so from the very same network on which Big Sky now resides. ...

C.J. Box is one of my favorite authors. Really like his books on audio, they are really well narrated overall. For the most part his stories are based in Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota. At least in the audio books he gets a lot right. Can't say how they may screw things up putting some of his stuff on TV but maybe they'll do OK. I'm looking forward to giving it a watch. Missed the first episode but will be able to catch it on demand.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_Keitel

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/amp34715828/jesse-james-keitel-big-sky/

Basically the critter playing the lot lizard is some kinda perverted freakshow. In real life and on the show. Going forward it’s going to be a big part of the plot, making this shift as mainstream as possible.

“[TV is] the most powerful medium we have right now,” they said. “It’s accessible to so many people, people who normally wouldn’t get to experience a person like this.”

What the actual F?

Don’t need/ want the “experience”.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Some folks here may recall the REAL Big Sky kidnapping and murder, circa 1984.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-07-10-vw-2601-story.html

Yes, I remember it well. Kari is doing well now and she is the vet that I take my dog to.

Since the story is supposed to have taken place within 100 miles of my home I watched it.

The first scene where the Californian was stuck on the shoulder of the road looked more like next to a swamp in Northern Wisconsin than anywhere in the Yellowstone valley. The rest of the show was more of Hollywood's version of Montana than reality.

I might give the show one more look, but I won't be anxiously looking forward to the next episode.
Buffybr: Her name was Kerry Swenson if I recall correctly?
I am so thankful HER life was saved.
More recollections of that incident was the fact that the Sheriff who saved her was later fired for shooting at Elk after chasing them on snowmobiles - again IIRC.
Anyone have a better memory of that incident please correct me.
Again thank God that young woman was saved!
I am kind of excited about the next episode myself.
Maybe I am just easily entertained?
Long live Big Sky Country (despite its sometimes negative portrayals on TV and in movies - "Clay Pigeons" etc etc etc).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It's normal to film somewhere else from where they should be, usually tax related. Longmire, the law show based in WY (even references places in my town) was filmed in New Mexico for those reasons, despite the author and the "city" is WY based.
Originally Posted by Joezone
C.J. Box is one of my favorite authors. Really like his books on audio, they are really well narrated overall. For the most part his stories are based in Wyoming, Montana and North Dakota. At least in the audio books he gets a lot right. Can't say how they may screw things up putting some of his stuff on TV but maybe they'll do OK. I'm looking forward to giving it a watch. Missed the first episode but will be able to catch it on demand.

Like I said, he gets most of the stuff he writes about guns not only wrong, but obviously so.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Joezone

Like I said, he gets most of the stuff he writes about guns not only wrong, but obviously so.

Does he have “non-binary” freak perverts in his books too? Or just the tv show?
Nope, just imaginary cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor Magnum.
The freak in the story is a despicable freak of a villain of course. That is a villain, you expect it to be normal other than the kidnapping and murder? Nothing in the books makes the villain seem normal. The series of books this show is based on is a short 3 or 4 book series. Most of his books are not from this series.

Originally Posted by tpcollins

Anything that carries regular ABC national network TV -- air antenna / cable / satellite / streaming.

Found it and watched the 1st episode with On Demand.

Looks like “Fargo” in the west.
Too bad they chose to film it in and around Vanvouver, B.C.

I watched the first 10 minutes or so....felt like 10 minutes wasted.
I watched the first episode of Big Sky (and last also since I won't bother watching it again). Totally ridiculous, it makes Yellowstone look like high art and I didn't think anything could be more ridiculous than Yellowstone.

The best part was the last scene when the MHP shot the boyfriend.

The only possible good I can see is that maybe it will keep a few folks from coming to Montana. YAY!!

drover
Tried watching on demand. Wow, that is a terrible show. No more. Couldn't get any further than when the wuss got in his 18 wheeler at mommy's house. Fugk that!
© 24hourcampfire