Home
Posted By: denton SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
Caniglia V. Strom

Caniglia and his wife had a domestic dispute, during which he produced an unloaded gun and magazine, put it on the table, and invited his wife to just shoot him and end it all.

Wife spent the night at a hotel, but called police in the morning, worried about her husband's mental state.

Police interviewed the husband, and searched his house, removing his firearms without his consent.

Firearms were later returned to him.

1st Circuit ruled that the warrantless search and seizure were justified. SCOTUS has just granted certiorari, and will review the case.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
red flag laws. to be, or not to be?
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
I'm thinking that she's a 30 percenter

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear

He's talking about from nut jobs, like ewe.
Posted By: 700LH Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
The NRA supports red flag laws
He's talking about from nut jobs, like ewe.

Not hardly. He's talking about anyone who owns a gun.
BTW, has he changed his mind? Has he issued a public apology?
Posted By: 700LH Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20

Originally Posted by 700LH

WITH DUE PROCESS, unlike trump grin

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/nra-state-red-flag-laws-due-process/
Posted By: denton Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
If SCOTUS were completely happy with the 1st Circuit ruling, they probably would not have accepted the case. We may be fortunate enough to get some strengthened 4th Amendment protections out of this.
Originally Posted by denton
If SCOTUS were completely happy with the 1st Circuit ruling, they probably would not have accepted the case. We may be fortunate enough to get some strengthened 4th Amendment protections out of this.

That in itself would strike down all red flag laws.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
NRA has a long history of advocating for gun control. Tell us about the Mulford Act, wanks4WLP.
Well they are a terrorist organization don't ya know grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
When old Joe and the Democrats impose that 200.00 tax on assault rifles and hi cap magazines. There will be a lot crying where is the NRA. And they will say you defunded us just like the police. Hasbeen
Posted By: ledvm Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

Should have made better choices.
Posted By: lastround Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
When old Joe and the Democrats impose that 200.00 tax on assault rifles and hi cap magazines. There will be a lot crying where is the NRA. And they will say you defunded us just like the police. Hasbeen

This^^^
Posted By: denton Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
A $200 tax is not going to fly. There is presently a small tax on guns and ammo, and it is permitted because it is not a major burden on ownership. $200 is clearly intended to prohibit ownership, and is no more permissible than a poll tax. Pure political theater, signifying nothing.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by ledvm
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

Should have made better choices.

A Harvard study shows 98% of battered women do not understand the phrase “Shut the [bleep] up”
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
A $200 tax is not going to fly. There is presently a small tax on guns and ammo, and it is permitted because it is not a major burden on ownership. $200 is clearly intended to prohibit ownership, and is no more permissible than a poll tax. Pure political theater, signifying nothing.

There is already a tax on certain firearms. Assault weapons will be added to the list. Really pretty simple. Hasbeen
Posted By: hatari Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by 700LH

WITH DUE PROCESS, unlike trump grin

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/nra-state-red-flag-laws-due-process/

Well, it looks like you don’t have to worry about Trump taking your guns anymore. I’m sure sure Joe Buden will treat your better. Enjoy, amigo!
Posted By: watch4bear Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20
Well, it looks like you don’t have to worry about Trump taking your guns anymore. I’m sure sure Joe Buden will treat your better.

Are you saying trump wanted due process? No wonder your crying.
Posted By: denton Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20

Adding semi auto firearms to "the list":

I don't think that can happen, if you are talking about the tax on full autos. Semi auto are protected by 2A, while full autos are not.

All handguns, including semi autos, are protected under Heller, and semi auto rifles are probably legally indistinguishable from semi auto handguns.

That in itself would strike down all red flag laws.

Not necessarily.

Could be a narrow ruling, or could be more broad. We will have to wait and see.
Red flag laws completely circumvent any due process. Justification for seizure because of an impure thought, surely can't set any type of sound precedent.

Illegal search and seizure hands down.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20
Well they are a terrorist organization don't ya know grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Why do you avoid the truth? An intelligent person - not you - would be embarrassed.
Posted By: abbydog Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20
After WW II Didn’t Europe require gun manufacturers to limit magazine size to 2 or 3 bullets? My Merkel Semi held and one in the chamber I think.
Red flag laws completely circumvent any due process. Justification for seizure because of an impure thought, surely can't set any type of sound precedent.

FWIW, I'm rooting for your position, but I'm not giving easy odds that it will happen that way.
Posted By: Stophel Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20

FWIW, I'm rooting for your position, but I'm not giving easy odds that it will happen that way.

Too bad the NRA doesn't root for that position too.....

This is the first biggy heard in long while. With the addition of Amy darlin, i suspect the supreme's are going to shove right in the gun grabbers butts, with any luck and the river don't rise smile
Posted By: 45_100 Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20

Adding semi auto firearms to "the list":

I don't think that can happen, if you are talking about the tax on full autos. Semi auto are protected by 2A, while full autos are not.

All handguns, including semi autos, are protected under Heller, and semi auto rifles are probably legally indistinguishable from semi auto handguns.

I hope you are correct but I think you are not. The Second Ammendment protects ownership of all firearms which in my opinion includes full auto firearms. Full auto firearms are taxed and require special permission from the government. They will simply include semi-auto firearms under the same law and the same requirements will apply to handguns as well as long guns, including shotguns. Never under estimate the tenacity of the left.
Posted By: ERK Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20
45 100 has it about right. You peons don’t realize how much libs hate us. And Bear you have about worn out the Trump hatred. Can you state a case where he actually did what you piss and moan all the time about. How about a law he passed to that effect. Holding my breath waiting. Please hurry! Edk
Trump doesn’t write laws silly rabbit.

Here’s some light reading to further your edumacation

https://susanwbrooks.house.gov/medi...-flag-law-is-and-how-it-works-in-indiana
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SCOTUS Accepts Case - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

There is already a tax on certain firearms. Assault weapons will be added to the list. Really pretty simple. Hasbeen

Keep calling them assault weapons. You'll get everybody else trying to do that, too.
Per Heller, full auto firearms have not yet received 2A protection. I agree that they should, but SCOTUS so seldom calls me for guidance.
© 24hourcampfire