Home
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Union Dues - 12/24/20
A simple question for the union members here on the 'fire,

Are any of you willing to name your union and stand behind it's political contributions?
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Point of this thread isn't to debate the merits of a union, or the benefits or detriments thereof. Simply, if you are a union member, do you stand behind the political contributions of your union.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
I opted out of AFSCME earlier this year when they sent out emails supporting BLM. I should've done it a long time ago.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Brother Gruff.... they don't like to talk about that..... makes them uncomfortable...
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Ain't no union dog, ain't no government bitch...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
American Honky-Tonk Bar Assn.

We only give money to the John Birch Society.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Brother Gruff.... they don't like to talk about that..... makes them uncomfortable...

We'll see. Guaranteed to run off the rails, but there's enough honest guys on here I think there'll be a fair bit of "I am a member, but don't agree with their politics".
Posted By: SCRUBS Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
I`m not in a union so can`t help you there, however, is it any different than purchasing things from companies that support democrats?
Posted By: ribka Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
All unions support open borders and cheap labor, high taxes , gun control, China jobs and BLM terrorists. Pretty much the destruction of the middle class.

There is zero proof against this fact.

Bring it on union goons- google the AFLCIO or the AFCSME or the Teachers union web sites and prove us wrong. lmao clowns
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I opted out of AFSCME earlier this year when they sent out emails supporting BLM. I should've done it a long time ago.

What does that (supporting blm)have to do with they are "supposed" to be doing for you the member? Good call on opting out.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Every U.S. taxpayer that pays a Federal Income Tax is funding a Union, abortion, illegal aliens, people who refuse to work and their offspring, pro-Muslim programs, corporate welfare and the starving Pygmy's in New Guinea.

Willing or unwilling, does it really matter at this point?
Posted By: Gristle Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
I’ll be the first. I’m a Teamster ( been at UPS for 30 years this past August) and I don’t agree with their political views......have at it.
Originally Posted by SCRUBS
I`m not in a union so can`t help you there, however, is it any different than purchasing things from companies that support democrats?

A point well worth making.

But yeah, I'd say it is. If for no other reason, if next week I have the opportunity to buy a gallon of milk from the local IGA instead of Krogers I can do that. Union members don't really have a choice where their money goes. But you make a fair point.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
For all you ignorant mutherfuggers:

Beck (1988) the Supreme Court ruled that the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) restricted unions from collecting dues for political activities if a union member chooses to opt out. The required dues can only be used for collective-bargaining and other representational activities.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Point of this thread isn't to debate the merits of a union, or the benefits or detriments thereof. Simply, if you are a union member, do you stand behind the political contributions of your union.

Absolutely not.

I hate that the international AFL-CIO gets $6/mo of my money to do with as they do. Most of my coworkers feel the same. Our Local President has had some very heated discussions with National Reps over who they choose to endorse for political offices.

"Can't you stupid [bleep] find anyone who is not proabortion and antigun? Until you do, I'll not take your advice about who to vote for." Needless to say, he is not warmly received at those gatherings.

But economics kept me tied to this company. My pay scale allowed Momma to work as she chose at part time jobs which ensured our children never saw the inside of a daycare.

At any other employer in this Valley, I would have been working for 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was able to earn here.
Originally Posted by Huntz

Beck (1988) the Supreme Court ruled that the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) restricted unions from collecting dues for political activities if a union member chooses to opt out. The required dues can only be used for collective-bargaining and other representational activities.

Yes and no. In Idaho one can make that choice. Not so in Oregon.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

Or voting for the "least offensive of two choices"?

Or one "conservative" representative in WA D.C. voting for the new Corona relief package?

I've belonged to at least 3 Unions, and not because of their political contributions. Just like in the political world, and this f'd up State I live in, sometimes I'm outnumbered.

I worked in one job that had there not been a union, every worker in the plant would have been a green card worker from Tjuana. The owners owned plants in TX and that was their operating method. Instead, I made as much money at 21 years old, actually a penny an hour less, than my old man working in a union shipyard.

The benefits sometimes outweighed the drawbacks.

I do kind of lean toward them having outlived their usefulness in today's "gig economy" though. Not many are going to work in the :"plant" for thirty years and draw a pension. Job security and a decent retirement were big drawing cards for unions in the olden days.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Yes and no. In Idaho one can make that choice. Not so in Oregon.

As of 2018, anyone can opt out (Janus ruling). I don't know if they're nationwide or not, but there's an organization here in Oregon (Opt Out) encouraging people to leave the union(s). Their website has the necessary forms and legal information. I don't know how they're funded, but they were a big help.

Just like federal dollars that go to planned parenthood don't fund abortions? lol
Posted By: DBT Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
The function of a union is to represent its members in the workplace. They have no business meddling in immigration issues or politics beyond that mandate; representing their members at the bargaining table when needed. The members are the union.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
American Honky-Tonk Bar Assn.

We only give money to the John Birch Society.

Jim that may be the one union worth joining.
Originally Posted by DBT
The function of a union is to represent its members in the workplace. They have no business meddling in immigration issues or politics beyond that mandate; representing their members at the bargaining table when needed. The members are the union.

Awww that is precious..... were you born yesterday?
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

Fairly large difference.

If you are not a dem or leftist and a union member, you are acquiescing to having an organization represent you with your dollars to promote something that is antithetical to your core beliefs. All the while using your money and you as a person as a chit in the game to promote an end you do not abide by or agree with is a bit different than rewarding a company with a little profit occasionally when you decide at that time the the benefits to you outweigh the negative results of the company's efforts.

The biggest difference is the fact in the situation as a union member, you are giving them credence by having you counted as a "union member that supports...(insert the latest leftist bs cause)"
Posted By: webbedfeet Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Iaff here, fireman. Large east coast fire department. Could have cared less about the "union" when I get hired at 21 years old, I just wanted to be a big city fireman. They don't align with my personal political views but do keep us from getting steamed rolled from the city council when it comes to cutting funding and jobs.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Millwrights
No I don't agree with most of their political contributions or politicians they support. But I don't like most politicians no matter what letter they have by their name. Most are as counterfeit as the day is long and don't care about a blue collar man,union or not.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by HawkI
Every U.S. taxpayer that pays a Federal Income Tax is funding a Union, abortion, illegal aliens, people who refuse to work and their offspring, pro-Muslim programs, corporate welfare and the starving Pygmy's in New Guinea.

As long as we gets our 600.00
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by watch4bear

As long as we gets our 600.00

Nope,

$2K
So far we're batting 1000.

I would love to find out there is a union that supports conservative politics.
So would I.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

Oh boy!
Posted By: kingston Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

True, but not every tax payer does all that and directly supports a labor union by paying dues.

It all matters, if it's going to matter.
Posted By: Scout308 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

I retired from a South Florida Sheriffs Office. We were represented by the PBA and they support conservative politics and candidates.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
I was in a union for years, and it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. When we needed them most they turned their backs on us. To top it off, their mailings started reading more and more like Commie "Workers party" propaganda.
Originally Posted by Scout308

I retired from a South Florida Sheriffs Office. We were represented by the PBA and they support conservative politics and candidates.

This one?

https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/C00349639/summary/2012
Originally Posted by webbedfeet
Iaff here, fireman. Large east coast fire department. Could have cared less about the "union" when I get hired at 21 years old, I just wanted to be a big city fireman. They don't align with my personal political views but do keep us from getting steamed rolled from the city council when it comes to cutting funding and jobs.

thank you for helping destroy middle class non union workers. Free healthcare and full pension for life at the expense of lower class Americans. congrats!!!!

lol. too funny
Originally Posted by kingston

True, but not every tax payer does all that and directly supports a labor union by paying dues.

It all matters, if it's going to matter.

You directly support labor unions with your taxes, righteous indignation notwithstanding....

funny. thanks for supporting Biden and Harris dumb brain washed union clown

you precious union says otherwise clown

https://aflcio.org/resolutions/resolution-12-immigration-and-citizenship
No, Palm Beach County!
Originally Posted by Gristle
I’ll be the first. I’m a Teamster ( been at UPS for 30 years this past August) and I don’t agree with their political views......have at it.

Originally Posted by DBT

damn your are dumb
Originally Posted by ribka

funny. thanks for supporting Biden and Harris

Taxpayers in general, support Biden and Harris, wanted or not.
With our union it didn't matter if you were a member or not, you still got the same benefits just not the legal representation .
No, Palm Beach County!

Well, I guess we found one. smile
Originally Posted by Gristle

Originally Posted by DBT

damn your are dumb

You help pay for illegal aliens and government funded abortions and countless other things you dont agree with. Me too.

Quitting your job any time soon?

Maybe Gruff did....
Gruff's sitting pretty in his single wide on a lot in a trailer park with a view of the airport collecting social security disability. Nothing for me to quit except living.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

Are any of you willing to name your union and stand behind it's political contributions?

NO!
Gruff's sitting pretty in his single wide on a lot in a trailer park with a view of the airport collecting social security disability. Nothing for me to quit except living.

So, a Union gig?

So, a Union gig?

smile
Its not like youre the right race or sex to work at the Post Office.
Its not like youre the right race or sex to work at the Post Office.

It's funny you said that. The wife and I were talking about that very thing yesterday!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Wife and two daughters SEIU members. All three voted for Trump.
Posted By: DBT Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by DBT

Were you? It seems so. Not to mention being ignorant of why unions were formed in the first place, it appears that you were born yesterday. Plus incapable of grasping what I said. I didn't say that there aren't corrupt unions, or that reform is not needed, just that unions have their place, and their place at the negotiating table representing their members is what they should stick to.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Wife and two daughters SEIU members. All three voted for Trump.

Awesome.

Do they agree with where their dues go?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
I know that the local SEIU has the option to pay a percentage towards the advocacy and benefits secured by the union while “full dues” is a bigger deduction that allows them to use the difference for political lobbying. The administrative (smaller) deduction cannot be used for political advocacy.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I know that the local SEIU has the option to pay a percentage towards the advocacy and benefits secured by the union while “full dues” is a bigger deduction that allows them to use the difference for political lobbying. The administrative (smaller) deduction cannot be used for political advocacy.

Like fed tax dollars go to Planned Parenthood, but aren't used for abortions.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Some folks enjoy sucking a willie, and other folks suck a willie because they have to.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

thank you for helping destroy middle class non union workers. Free healthcare and full pension for life at the expense of lower class Americans. congrats!!!!

When I started as an IAFF member 36 years ago I left a job in the private sector with a pension. Firefighters and police officers do not generally pay into social security except for part time jobs or pre or post retirement. We do not receive the full social security payment at retirement as everyone else. So I subsidize your social security. Your welcome.

The law changed in approximately 1988 for Fire and police employees hired after to have Medicare taken out. I had to work part time to get my quarters in because I didn’t qualify.

I had 2 private sector jobs with pensions before I starte in the firehouse in 1984. Many in the private sector willingly gave up pensions for 401k after being shown projected numbers after retirement.
Posted By: hp4570 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Also part of the Janus decision, if you opt out the unions are still obligated to negotiate benefits for you
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Some folks enjoy sucking a willie, and other folks suck a willie because they have to.

There's a union for those folks.

https://www.iusw.org/
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
You're assuming I'm happy with where my Federal dues (tax) go?
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Gruff's sitting pretty collecting social security disability.

Is this a true statement?
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
We dumped the AFSCME may years ago in the corrections of Misery. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

International union of operating engineers, I cannot stand behind my unions political contributions. That is why I no longer Contribute-into PAC. 30 years in this local I stopped contributing about 26 years ago :-) I have always voted Republican, most members in my local vote Republican not all but most.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
The biggest problem with Unions is that workers are not allowed to decide whether or not they want to "belong." Except in Right-to-Work states, their dues are automatically extracted from their pay. Membership is not an option.

The contract that allows this is between the employer and the union headquarters. The workers are not a party to it.

If unions are such a good deal, why do they have to coerce workers to join by taking their pay automatically? It's like the old Soviet Union. A "worker's paradise" and you aren't allowed to leave.

The second biggest problem is that it's almost impossible to decertify a union once they get in. There are some awfully managed companies. In fact you have to be awfully managed to get a union in. But if conditions improve, you're not allowed to get rid of it without jumping through almost-impossible hoops.

A union is like a shoe that if you try it on, you can't take it off.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Strangely enough, not a union member here. Texas has a couple of teacher unions but with little political clout compared to some other states.

When I was hired back in the 80’s it was on a “continuing contract” still in effect 30+ years later, for the last 15 years or so teachers hiring into the district regardless of experience are hired on two year contracts that must be renewed every 48 months indefinitely.

But my own “continuing contract” is just a formality, my only job security is doing a good enough job that they want me on staff the following year. So far so good but every summer they want me back I breathe a sigh of relief; I still got an income until at least August the next summer (contract runs Sept-Aug).
Posted By: MM879 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
The primary benefit of a Union comes at retirement time. If you are a Union member you get to decide when you retire. If not you are at the whims of the company. You might get a severance, might not. This is a big deal. Retire five years early and your broke without a chance of recovery. Timing is important when moving towards SS.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

I don't pay Union dues anymore, but the NEPBA formally backed Trump in '16 and '20.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Police most often need Unions to protect themselves from politically appointed police chiefs particularly in the large cities of Blue states,,,,,and in red states.
Posted By: jaydub in wi Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The biggest problem with Unions is that workers are not allowed to decide whether or not they want to "belong." Except in Right-to-Work states, their dues are automatically extracted from their pay. Membership is not an option.

I thank Governor Scott Walker for bringing right to work to our state. I used to belong to a union, but a few of us quit 2 years ago. Not going back
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Isn't the postal service union? That's about as good of an example as it gets.
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Were you? It seems so. Not to mention being ignorant of why unions were formed in the first place, it appears that you were born yesterday. Plus incapable of grasping what I said. I didn't say that there aren't corrupt unions, or that reform is not needed, just that unions have their place, and their place at the negotiating table representing their members is what they should stick to.

I get it..... you preffer a Marxist collective to negotiate on your behalf , rather than standing on your own two feet...... a hint for you, they are representing the sloth next to you also....
At least you can advance on tenure rather than merit.... congrats
Posted By: killahog Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

Billygoat , I am a member the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, and one of the Union representatives for the record no I do not approve of all of their contributions . I voted for Donald Trump both times . I work for a class 1 Rail Road and thier disciple policy is extremely unreasonable. For example a 20 year Engineer with nothing on his record passed a stop signal in early 2019 his employment was terminated. Just this month I was able to get him back to work. Without the Union he would have been looking for another career at age 50. Aside from the Job protection the union negotiated benefits are some of the best in the industry. As far as those who think they can (opt) out of membership and still receive the same protection, well coming from the guy you are going to call when you get fired you might want to reconsider.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
I’m a member of poam. Seems the majority of their political contributions go to republicans and I’ve openly opposed contributions to democrats.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by DBT

Yep, and all politicians are humble public servants who are doing their best for their constituents - personal enrichment be damned.
LMAO
Posted By: hanco Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Plumbers local 68, they still tell us to vote Dumbocrats
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
IUE/CWA. I don't even know the local.
It just doesn't matter to me.

$8/week.
No! No one in our shop of 30 agrees with them.

The Quote from our president to the Rep.
"You and I have a better chance of eating lunch with the Pope than
of these guys supporting that!"

2004 through blatant mismanagement we about went broke.
They sold our most profitable business line for enough cash to
survive. It was contract time, and they went for the easiest cost
cutting. Wages and benefits.

Our jobs were advertised in the surrounding newspapers, when people
inquired, they found that they were already hiring our replacements.

Before the negotiations started!

We were met at the door, handed a piece of paper showing
immediate pay cuts of over 30%, vacation cuts...

Work or quit.

They never filed bankruptcy, and refused to claim poverty
to the union. Doing so would have required opening the books
to outside auditors.

Only because of being unionized did we manage to fight and preserve
some of our livelihood. Over the last 15 years we have slowly gained
back some of what we lost.

And before blaming the union for the trouble.

We had a management to worker ratio of 1/3.
Yep. Over 30 of our 100 employees were high paid expenses.

When they were going through the books to try and work their problems out,
They found multiple products being sold at 1980's pricing.

The problems weren't on my side of the door.

A point well worth making.

But yeah, I'd say it is. If for no other reason, if next week I have the opportunity to buy a gallon of milk from the local IGA instead of Krogers I can do that. Union members don't really have a choice where their money goes. But you make a fair point.

I see that point, and agree the right leaning union members they don`t have control over where their money goes. I was viewing it as the right leaning employee has the choice to work elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Fairly large difference.

If you are not a dem or leftist and a union member, you are acquiescing to having an organization represent you with your dollars to promote something that is antithetical to your core beliefs. All the while using your money and you as a person as a chit in the game to promote an end you do not abide by or agree with is a bit different than rewarding a company with a little profit occasionally when you decide at that time the the benefits to you outweigh the negative results of the company's efforts.

The biggest difference is the fact in the situation as a union member, you are giving them credence by having you counted as a "union member that supports...(insert the latest leftist bs cause)"

I was viewing it as, a right leaning union member has the choice to work for a union company or not.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Fairly large difference.

I was viewing it as, a right leaning union member has the choice to work for a union company or not.

I'd think that a right leaning union member has the right to work wherever he damn well pleases.........and it's none of anyone on here's business.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
IBEW member here and as an electrician that works in a coal fired power plant it really pisses me off that they always endorse the Democratic party. I don’t really get much for the $1000 I spend in dues.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20

Yeah, proly don't get much due to that "white (has) to work" thing.
Posted By: pahick Re: Union Dues - 12/24/20
USW. They backed Biden. The majority of our local votes Republican. Why? Defense contractor. Dem gets in we usually get screwed. Sure they pour funds to Dems, but our votes still count. The benefits of collective bargaining out way the small portion of dues they send libs.

Took on another job bid, getting older. Waste Processor. Driving a forklift flipping dumpsters. 27.32/hr. And I signed up for Christmas shutdown. Sat time/half, Sun double time, Mon-Thurs triple. Some local non union companies close in pay, better vacation, sometimes better insurance. But ill take the pension and pay. Sell out, cash whore....whatever you wanna call me is cool with me. I pay my bills, no one else.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Union Dues - 12/25/20

I would hazard a guess that in the US of A those "lower class Americans" are free to associate with each other for financial benefit and organize a union in their workplaces?

Of course, that assumes they are employed or at a minimum willing to be employed.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Union Dues - 12/25/20
Merry Christmas Geno..... wink
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Union Dues - 12/25/20
Merry Christmas Geno..... wink

Merry Christmas back at ya'

and to the rest here too.
Posted By: DBT Re: Union Dues - 12/25/20
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

I get it..... you preffer a Marxist collective to negotiate on your behalf , rather than standing on your own two feet...... a hint for you, they are representing the sloth next to you also....
At least you can advance on tenure rather than merit.... congrats

Marxism is your excuse. I'm talking about free market capitalism, free enterprise, the right to presentation, negotiating a better deal. Workers as well as business. That's all.
© 24hourcampfire