Home
I will be helping a friend sell off more stuff, including an M1 Garand. I couldn't give any details about its condition since I haven't even seen it in five or six years, but it is most certainly serviceable and he wouldn't have bought a beat up junker.

Completed auctions on Gunbroker seem to suggest that they're bringing about $1500 lately. There was a time I would have accepted that as a reasonable selling price but nothing strikes me as being very reasonable these days. I have never been interested in these rifles because they just don't appeal to me so I have never followed the market on them.

What says the crowd?
Posted By: 79S Re: What is a Garand worth today? - 01/11/21
The key is who made it? Some bring more money than others, Also is it all matching numbers? Take mine it’s a H&R with a 52 receiver and a 54 barrel. I paid $800 for mine 2 yrs ago, but Springfield and others are always selling for $1500.
About a $Garand.
I bought a mint condition CMP Garand several years ago and think I paid just over $1300 for it. I thought the price was high but the shop I bought it from wouldn't budge on the price. In today's current climate, it's a seller's market and your Gunbroker results don't surprise me and may be a good indicator.
Originally Posted by 79S
The key is who made it? Some bring more money than others, Also is it all matching numbers? Take mine it’s a H&R with a 52 receiver and a 54 barrel. I paid $800 for mine 2 yrs ago, but Springfield and others are always selling for $1500.

Ouch - that confirms I paid too much! Mine's an H&R with all matching numbers, a '54 receiver and '55 barrel (I think)...
Depends on who made it.
Number of original manufacturers parts in rifle and date stamps of said parts.
Muzzle wear and throat erosion are factors also.
For those of us eligible to buy through CMP they can still be had for as little as $650.00 at times.

Winchesters bring more cash than Springfield's.

CMP forums would be a good place to start your research.
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by 79S

Ouch - that confirms I paid too much! Mine's an H&R with all matching numbers, a '54 receiver and '55 barrel (I think)...

Last year, I bought a nice H&R for $950. I'd damn sure buy another one like it for that price. Probably several.

I consider $1000 the floor for a serviceable Garand, and that price is moving up quickly.
Posted By: 79S Re: What is a Garand worth today? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by 79S

I need to add the guy I bought mine from needed cash fast and he said $800 I didn’t flinch. Because I seen them at gun shows for $1000 or more.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I will be helping a friend sell off more stuff, including an M1 Garand. I couldn't give any details about its condition since I haven't even seen it in five or six years, but it is most certainly serviceable and he wouldn't have bought a beat up junker.

Completed auctions on Gunbroker seem to suggest that they're bringing about $1500 lately. There was a time I would have accepted that as a reasonable selling price but nothing strikes me as being very reasonable these days. I have never been interested in these rifles because they just don't appeal to me so I have never followed the market on them.

What says the crowd?

The bottom would be $1,000.

Lots of variables to determine top dollar.

Go get info and come back.
I bought a mint condition CMP Garand several years ago and think I paid just over $1300 for it. I thought the price was high but the shop I bought it from wouldn't budge on the price. In today's current climate, it's a seller's market and your Gunbroker results don't surprise me and may be a good indicator.

Who cares what you paid. You got one.

That’s all that matters.
Posted By: jbmi Re: What is a Garand worth today? - 01/11/21
My H&R was arsenal rebuilt, new barrel, new parts new stock, new parkerized finish, then never reissued. Had to wait almost 2 years for CMP to find one rated as Select Grade. 19 years ago I paid $570, today I'd expect maybe 2 1/2 times that.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: KFWA Re: What is a Garand worth today? - 01/11/21
That's a bucket list gun for me.

Sounds like I better hurry up

I'd have to track down ammo too.

Mine is a Springfield Armory M1. Date is April of '44. It was a gift, many years ago, from a fellow that carried one just like it in WWII. I would not sell it at all. Took it apart this morning, cleaned, oiled it, put it back together. I have 'some' MilSurp ammunition loaded up in those enbloc clips
Originally Posted by jbmi
My H&R was arsenal rebuilt, new barrel, new parts new stock, new parkerized finish, then never reissued. Had to wait almost 2 years for CMP to find one rated as Select Grade. 19 years ago I paid $570, today I'd expect maybe 2 1/2 times that.

The only comment I could add to this picture is; you need 1903 Springfield in equal condition right beside it. Could you imagine that picture. It would honor a Boomer's parent.
Buddy of mine who is a Garand collector told me the H&R's were the best of them as they had the newest and best tooling. A nice H&R around here starts at $1500.

That's a real battle rifle- buttstroke a commie with that and get real results
Originally Posted by LowcountryRebel

That's a real battle rifle- buttstroke a commie with that and get real results

"Batteries not included, ammo not required," I take it. LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

Who cares what you paid. You got one.

That’s all that matters.

Yep, and I have no regrets!
Garand collectors are anal, it all comes down to what it is, maker, year, refinished or not, matching, markings, on and on. Any serviceable one is worth $750 to $1K in my parts.
wish I could find one of these. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/06/oood-mccann-industries-458-win-mag-garand/
Maybe 15 years ago there bouts Springfield Armory produced new manufactured Garand's for a short while. Turner's Outdoors a chain here in So Cal seemed to be the one stocking them. I must have went to 4 different Turners to cherry pick one with great looking wood. Sits in the safe.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Jebus. I bet that packs a wallop.
I humped a Garand in boot camp.I have no idea why anyone would buy a heavy piece of crap like that.
Originally Posted by Huntz
I humped a Garand in boot camp.I have no idea why anyone would buy a heavy piece of crap like that.

I'll grab the popcorn...

I agree with that. As a historical piece, a collector, OK. A shooter, plenty of cheaper guns will shoot rings around it. $13-$1500 is better spent on a AR-10 in 308.
There are 4 grades of CMP Garands. Rack, field, service and special grade. The rack grades have the most wear and largest throat dimensions. The fields are in better shape with less throat wear. The service grades will be in better shape yet with more correct parts and less throat wear..

A few years ago the CMP was selling them 12 per person per year. Most of those rifles ended up at gun shows. Also, many were rack grades but the dealers were selling them at service grade prices. If the gun looks old and worn out it's probably a rack grade. Don't pay more than $700 for one. A good service grade is in the $1000 range. The CMP specials are going to go $1600 to $2600 range plus depending on if they are correct as issued or new old stock parts on them.

In the 1960s a company called Blue Sky was selling Garands with cast receivers. They are $200 guns if they have good parts on them. Run away from a Blue Sky gun. Junk, junk, junk

H&R rifles are great guns but I can't tell you they are better than a 1950s Sprinfield. Go to the CMP web site to get the latest prices. Keep in mind there are a bunch of Garands out there. They are not as rare as some dealers want you to think they are.

Boy, ain’t that the truth. The average hunting rifle, scoped and out the door will weigh more, but then nobody complains about that because someone else didn’t bitch about it first.

Piece of crap and Garand in the same sentence, says a lot about the guy that typed that piece of crap.
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I agree with that. As a historical piece, a collector, OK. A shooter, plenty of cheaper guns will shoot rings around it. $13-$1500 is better spent on a AR-10 in 308.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

I took one deer hunting once. Actually killed a doe with it. The entire time I was thinking of guys slogging across Europe carrying this heavy thing. I have 6 of them from the CMP and love them.
I have an all correct H&R. I paid 800.00 for it ten years ago. It’s all about condition and all correct parts. It seems like a lot of people are selling for friends lately.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

So he says he, "humped a Garand" and you respond with a video of the last chick you showed your dick to.

So he says he, "humped a Garand" and you respond with a video of the last chick you showed your dick to.

Your stupid ass doesn’t even know what it weighs.

Just STFU.
Local shop had 12 on sale two weeks ago. They have 8 left, asking price is $1200 to $1500, nothing special.

It weighs 9.5 pounds.

If you can't carry a rifle that weighs 9.5 pounds, you have worse problems.

It hits with about 3 times the oomph of an AR15.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

That would be the ultimate stopping rifle except semis are illegal in Africa.

I would prefer it without the muzzle brake and mercury recoil reducer. I have shot 9 and 10 pound .458s (Model 70s) and unless you're going to waste time shooting lots of groups off the bench, the recoil is manageable if you know how to hold the rifle.
Much like the 1911, it was great for its time but there are better choices than an 8 round rifle that can’t be topped off. The Garand will always hold a special place in the history books but if it was “ideal” they’d still be fielding them. I certainly wouldn’t want to go against one in the hands of a trained user but I also know that it wouldn’t be what I reach for.
The weight of the gun is a double edge sword.

It sucks when you are carrying it, but it makes it an outstanding off hand shooting platform when you are shooting it.
What is Garand worth today?

Way less than it'll be worth tomorrow.
If you want a 9.5 pound, .30 caliber battle rifle, the FAL is as good as it gets.
Somebody cut my Garand all up! grin
Here is a nice one

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by RiverRider

What says the crowd?

I believe that Louisiana Sportsman has one listed for 1100$.
© 24hourcampfire