Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe 15 years ago there bouts Springfield Armory produced new manufactured Garand's for a short while. Turner's Outdoors a chain here in So Cal seemed to be the one stocking them. I must have went to 4 different Turners to cherry pick one with great looking wood. Sits in the safe.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Jebus. I bet that packs a wallop.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I humped a Garand in boot camp.I have no idea why anyone would buy a heavy piece of crap like that.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
I humped a Garand in boot camp.I have no idea why anyone would buy a heavy piece of crap like that.

I'll grab the popcorn...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I agree with that. As a historical piece, a collector, OK. A shooter, plenty of cheaper guns will shoot rings around it. $13-$1500 is better spent on a AR-10 in 308.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are 4 grades of CMP Garands. Rack, field, service and special grade. The rack grades have the most wear and largest throat dimensions. The fields are in better shape with less throat wear. The service grades will be in better shape yet with more correct parts and less throat wear..

A few years ago the CMP was selling them 12 per person per year. Most of those rifles ended up at gun shows. Also, many were rack grades but the dealers were selling them at service grade prices. If the gun looks old and worn out it's probably a rack grade. Don't pay more than $700 for one. A good service grade is in the $1000 range. The CMP specials are going to go $1600 to $2600 range plus depending on if they are correct as issued or new old stock parts on them.

In the 1960s a company called Blue Sky was selling Garands with cast receivers. They are $200 guns if they have good parts on them. Run away from a Blue Sky gun. Junk, junk, junk

H&R rifles are great guns but I can't tell you they are better than a 1950s Sprinfield. Go to the CMP web site to get the latest prices. Keep in mind there are a bunch of Garands out there. They are not as rare as some dealers want you to think they are.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Boy, ain’t that the truth. The average hunting rifle, scoped and out the door will weigh more, but then nobody complains about that because someone else didn’t bitch about it first.

Piece of crap and Garand in the same sentence, says a lot about the guy that typed that piece of crap.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I agree with that. As a historical piece, a collector, OK. A shooter, plenty of cheaper guns will shoot rings around it. $13-$1500 is better spent on a AR-10 in 308.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I took one deer hunting once. Actually killed a doe with it. The entire time I was thinking of guys slogging across Europe carrying this heavy thing. I have 6 of them from the CMP and love them.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an all correct H&R. I paid 800.00 for it ten years ago. It’s all about condition and all correct parts. It seems like a lot of people are selling for friends lately.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

So he says he, "humped a Garand" and you respond with a video of the last chick you showed your dick to.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

So he says he, "humped a Garand" and you respond with a video of the last chick you showed your dick to.

Your stupid ass doesn’t even know what it weighs.

Just STFU.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Local shop had 12 on sale two weeks ago. They have 8 left, asking price is $1200 to $1500, nothing special.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

It weighs 9.5 pounds.

If you can't carry a rifle that weighs 9.5 pounds, you have worse problems.

It hits with about 3 times the oomph of an AR15.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by stxhunter

That would be the ultimate stopping rifle except semis are illegal in Africa.

I would prefer it without the muzzle brake and mercury recoil reducer. I have shot 9 and 10 pound .458s (Model 70s) and unless you're going to waste time shooting lots of groups off the bench, the recoil is manageable if you know how to hold the rifle.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Much like the 1911, it was great for its time but there are better choices than an 8 round rifle that can’t be topped off. The Garand will always hold a special place in the history books but if it was “ideal” they’d still be fielding them. I certainly wouldn’t want to go against one in the hands of a trained user but I also know that it wouldn’t be what I reach for.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The weight of the gun is a double edge sword.

It sucks when you are carrying it, but it makes it an outstanding off hand shooting platform when you are shooting it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What is Garand worth today?

Way less than it'll be worth tomorrow.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you want a 9.5 pound, .30 caliber battle rifle, the FAL is as good as it gets.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Somebody cut my Garand all up! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.