Home
Posted By: Rt50blaster Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Just checked my cart from yesterday. 6.5 nosler bt went from 19.79 to 24.99. 6.5 127 gr barnes was 37.00 now 44. 243 eldx was 41 now 48. I expected better from midway
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
They should. They need to mark it up enough so that people aren’t buying it to flip. They should double the price every two weeks until it stays in stock more than a few hours.
May be because Midway is having to pay more for the product!
Originally Posted by JoeBob
They should. They need to mark it up enough so that people aren’t buying it to flip. They should double the price every two weeks until it stays in stock more than a few hours.

Yep.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
People are lining up to buy this stuff faster than they can make it. Manufacturers will raise there prices as they should. Prices generally go up after the first of the year anyways. I wise mine once told me if you are too busy to keep up you are not charging enough. Once this craziness slows down or the prices reach more than people are willing to pay. Product will start appearing on shelves and prices will start coming down.
Increasing prices is how demand is tempered to to stimulate increased production and availability. I don't want to pay more, but some mechanism has to be in place to establish and maintain a balance. Free enterprise works---IF you leave it alone to truly be FREE enterprise.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
They also limited the number of boxes to two per purchase. Glad I hit the buy button a couple days ago. I’m not happy about how much I’ve spent on projectiles lately, but glad I could find them so I’m set for a year or so. This is looking to be worse than when Obama got elected.
Originally Posted by Rt50blaster
Just checked my cart from yesterday. 6.5 nosler bt went from 19.79 to 24.99. 6.5 127 gr barnes was 37.00 now 44. 243 eldx was 41 now 48. I expected better from midway

You have much higher reverence for Midway's ethics than I do. smile
Posted By: GeoW Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Ole smilin Larry gettin his..

Which better did you expect? That while the total number of dollars in circulation went up by 20% the last 14 months or so that it wouldn't affect the value of each dollar? That would be nice, but if you expect that, you'll be disappointed every time. When the government spends money it doesn't have, we all lose, and in several ways. Since Trump didn't get back into office, Midway has likely decided they were going to have to keep up with inflation. They were likely not making near as much as they could have the last 10 months. I know I got plenty of good deals.
Posted By: DBCHAP00 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by GeoW
Ole smilin Larry gettin his..

He thanks you for your business.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

Originally Posted by Pittu
They also limited the number of boxes to two per purchase. Glad I hit the buy button a couple days ago. I’m not happy about how much I’ve spent on projectiles lately, but glad I could find them so I’m set for a year or so. This is looking to be worse than when Obama got elected.

Yep. Wait until the politicians start clamoring about gun control and the media starts talking about it all day every day. It is going to get much worse.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You have much higher reverence for Midway's ethics than I do. smile

I've always had good luck with Midway's customer service and no problem with their ethics. Not always cheaper, but good service and fair prices. If the manufacturers are actually working around the clock and incurring more cost with overtime, I expect prices to eventually show that.
Posted By: CBB Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Local shop in my town also sells on Gunbroker. He was selling CCI BR4 small rifle primers for 12.99 per 100 in the store. Sold 40000 in 2 weeks.
Originally Posted by CBB
Local shop in my town also sells on Gunbroker. He was selling CCI BR4 small rifle primers for 12.99 per 100 in the store. Sold 40000 in 2 weeks.

Again, if retailers are gouging, everyone needs to remember these people if things ever get back to "normal".

Colleague bought a belt from them. They sent the wrong size. He sent it back.

They sent the *same* wrong belt back to him as a replacement.

He says they acted like it was his fault...that THEY sent the wrong size...repeatedly.
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by CBB

Again, if retailers are gouging, everyone needs to remember these people if things ever get back to "normal".

Gouging isn't a thing.....but entitlement sure is.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
I don't know how anyone can criticize Midway for the prices they charge, not knowing what Midway is paying for the products in the first place, or what their expenses are. If you don't like their prices, don't buy their stuff. It's that simple. Just like you, they've got a right to offer what they've got for whatever price they want to charge. What do want, some governmental mandate that tells them what they need to sell stuff for? The cost of everything is going up, or haven't you noticed? It's going up for Larry Poterfield just like it is for the rest of us. The best way to bring the prices down is for everybody to just stop buying the stuff.
Posted By: hanco Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

You ain’t seen nuttin yet!!!
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
I manufacture a loading aid for Ruger MK1-IV. Ruger sells them and Brownells. I contacted Midway in hopes they'd add them to their product line. They wanted to know who bought them and how many. I don't sell to Midway because of that. Potterfield is all about himself. He's made a tremendous business but none of it has included being decent to others.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
You don’t have to buy at Midway.
If you didn't stock up a year ago your screwed..
Posted By: EdM Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Hit the range today that also sell components.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same place over the past month or two.

My 308 brass came in yesterday, 300 for $96. The stuff is out there.

Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by jdunham

Originally Posted by Pittu

Yep. Wait until the politicians start clamoring about gun control and the media starts talking about it all day every day. It is going to get much worse.

Yessir.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Which better did you expect? That while the total number of dollars in circulation went up by 20% the last 14 months or so that it wouldn't affect the value of each dollar? That would be nice, but if you expect that, you'll be disappointed every time. When the government spends money it doesn't have, we all lose, and in several ways. Since Trump didn't get back into office, Midway has likely decided they were going to have to keep up with inflation. They were likely not making near as much as they could have the last 10 months. I know I got plenty of good deals.

Good point.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
look at what blems are selling for now....it isnt going to get better anytime soon
Jive dealt with midway for over 20 years as many of us have and im not happy about it. Also in that 20 years i have never not one time had a bad experience that wasnt immediately solved by midway customer service. Im also not in a position where i need such bullets. I cancelled my order and will think about it next time i see something shiny i think i need. Free market capitolism works every time and so does the cancel order button
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Exactly.
Without knowing their price i have no problem with what they are doing.

They are trying to do what they can.

What do you expect them to do?
Originally Posted by CBB

Think about this a minute. I have, the gouging pissed me off.

Let's say you are a LGS. You normally buy good quantities
and get good pricing. You mark your water up 100%.
After overhead you actually clear a couple dollars on a box of
ammo or 1k primers.

Shortage thing like now, and you maintain the same tactics.
And are constantly sold out.
Your regular customers can't get what they want, but the local
deadbeats show up and buy you out as you inventory shipments.

Then, you find out that they are tripling your price, for total
profit. You run a legitimate business for $2/box,
They are clearing $40/box.

You gonna raise prices now?
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Colleague bought a belt from them. They sent the wrong size. He sent it back.

They sent the *same* wrong belt back to him as a replacement.

He says they acted like it was his fault...that THEY sent the wrong size...repeatedly.

What I said was "kinda" said in humor. I've bought a ton of stuff from Midway. But, I've had them do a couple of squirrely things I wasn't real happy about. The reason I ran into those 2-3 things is probably because of the volume of business I've done with them. It's just the nature of the beast.

Didn't stop me from doing business with them. I've made several purchases from them in the last several months.
Jive dealt with midway for over 20 years as many of us have and im not happy about it. Also in that 20 years i have never not one time had a bad experience that wasnt immediately solved by midway customer service. Im also not in a position where i need such bullets. I cancelled my order and will think about it next time i see something shiny i think i need. Free market capitolism works every time and so does the cancel order button

Yep, that "cancel" button is only good for 2-3 minutes, if that.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Alot of small LGS are going out of business because getting inventory to sell is not there, You cant keep the doors open by selling cheap and your customers making all the profit by reselling it online
Posted By: MAC Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Midway, like many businesses, is at the mercy of distributors for items. Since there is a very high demand it stands to reason the distributors have raised prices and that gets passed along. Been doing business with Midway for years. Don't buy everything from them because sometimes I can beat their prices but I won't quit buying from them if they raise prices some because other outlets are doing the same thing. Doesn't do me any good if a place has items listed for less $$$ but can't sell them because they are out of stock. As others have noted, nothing forces you to do business with them. Look elsewhere if it bothers you that much.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Yep, that "cancel" button is only good for 2-3 minutes, if that.

You've just hit on one of the problems I had with them.

They quickly mark items as "shipped", when in fact the items have not shipped at all and can sit in that status for several days, but you cannot cancel, add to, subtract from, or modify the order in any way because it's been "shipped". When you check UPS, it says the order has been marked "ready for pickup".

I know for a fact Midway still does the very same thing because I just had that exact same situation with a recently placed order. I wasn't going to cancel the order, so did not matter.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

New prices reflect new stock. You're not going to get those Nosler BT for 19.79 anywhere. I feel the price listed was what they were when they had them last. The increases may be coming from the manufacturer.
When the price of fuel goes up, it affects darn near everything.
A little investigating into prices from my last several orders and it appears pretty much everything went up about 10% on average. Reloading stuff more like 15% and up. Since yesterday. They didnt incur a higher cost on everything. Not buying it

'xactly.
And the nbts were bought on monday at 19.79 a box. Still in stock but for 25 a box. Barnes was in stock yesterday too. If shipments come in and they gotta pay more for them fine. Not the case here or they woulda been more when they arrived in stock. Midslouth is still way cheaper just almost nothing in stock
A little investigating into prices from my last several orders and it appears pretty much everything went up about 10% on average. Reloading stuff more like 15% and up. Since yesterday. They didnt incur a higher cost on everything. Not buying it

Then don't. Simple stuff.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Prices should be high right now. There isnt much supply to the demand. Hopefully every single distributer raises their prices so high that the jackasses who buy this stuff up instantly and sell it at insane prices will stop.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Last I checked, when the cost of gasoline goes up or down

the gas stations don't wait until the inventory in the tanks is gone before raising or lowering the price on the pump.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Something alot of people arent taking into consideration either is what these products are costing the businesses who sell them. A close friend of mine owns a gun shop. What he is paying right now for ammo is insane. Some of you would walk into his shop and bitch that he is gouging. Hes paying triple what he was for ammo at the moment. That cost is going to end up costing all consumers as well

Did you do any research on how much Midway's suppliers "jacked" their prices to Midway? . . . didn't think so! wink
And the nbts were bought on monday at 19.79 a box. Still in stock but for 25 a box. Barnes was in stock yesterday too. If shipments come in and they gotta pay more for them fine. Not the case here or they woulda been more when they arrived in stock. Midslouth is still way cheaper just almost nothing in stock

Hey Classified Cowboy, you're here to sell at a profit without paying a dime to Rick. Why should anyone give a phuq about your angst and anger that a respected and licensed tax-paying business raised prices during shortages. Midway has a big nut to crack to stay open. You're just a leech.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by CBB

??
Capitalism, you take the good with the bad. Free market decides the value and price. If you don’t like that, then you should vote for democrats and let the government set the price on your bullets.
Posted By: Futura Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
I’m okay with it as long as prices normalize when these things become more available again. There is a limited amount of stock so those that really need it can get it instead of the azzholes that buy it up just to flip it for a profit.
Originally Posted by CBB

??

Not sure what's confusing

Gouging - A term with no meaning, and no basis in fact

Entitlement - the belief that a business owes you their goods at a price you deem fair, especially when the market dictates otherwise
Posted By: 700LH Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

Limiting amounts would be a better practice
Posted By: sidepass Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I manufacture a loading aid for Ruger MK1-IV. Ruger sells them and Brownells. I contacted Midway in hopes they'd add them to their product line. They wanted to know who bought them and how many. I don't sell to Midway because of that. Potterfield is all about himself. He's made a tremendous business but none of it has included being decent to others.

Rather than bad mouth the man don't spend money there. If he's got what I want at a price that I'm ok with I'll spend my hard earned dollars there. I try to spread my business around during these fugged up times and hopefully they all survive to do business with in the future. JMO
Maybe ration cards will become vogue again?

After all, couldn't these capitalistic money makers be called "profiteers" too?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Many times these situations end in prices staying higher than they were before the artificial increase due to demand.

Makes you wonder how often the price has more to do with collusion and less to do with what the market will bear.
This thread and the other 1000 have been predictable... Either you have stuff you desire or you don't. Same, same.
You know what’s worse than the price of bullets going up $5? None at all! That’s what happens until supply and demand balance out and what should happen. Learn the lesson that many of us have already learned the hard way. Buy enough for your long term needs when prices are low. That way you don’t have to pay crazy prices when the demand goes nuts.

Look up the dutch tulip bulb fiasco in the 1600s. At its peak a single tulip bulb was selling for what the average person made in a year. Same same.
What makes you think you think 50 cents a primer is not the new standard?

What makes you think $2 a round is not a new standard for 223 ammo?

What makes you think $100 a pound it's not the new standard for eloading powder?

What makes you think $12 per gallon is not the new standard for gasoline?
What makes you think that 12% is not the new standard for a home mortgage?

What makes you think that 15% sales tax it's not the new standard in your state?

Don't we have to pay for Coronavirus in some way?

Honestly, what makes you think that building that garage on the side of your house that you've been putting off for a few years isn't worth $280,000?
15-20% is hardly "jacking" up prices in this market.

It has always settled back down but this go 'round might keep it fubbared for awhile.
Please prepare now gentleman!
Consider where profits come from, on gas or bullets.

Let's say you bought 8000 gallon of gas at $1/gal.
You marked it at $1.25/gal.

It takes a week to move that gas at your little country store.

So now you have $10k.

$2000 "profit"?

Not yet!

You need product to sell, so you order 8k gal.

Only now your cost is $1.50/gal.

You need $12k.

There is zero profit in that last load of gas.
Matter of fact, you need to find $2k more to even afford
to stock your tanks.

This isn't a made up example.
I used to haul fuel.
Had several, independent stations face this exact problem
2006-2008. It broke several.

That's why stations raise their prices even when the gas in the ground
was bought yesterday. Rack prices are posted at 5pm daily.
It's the standard. But in times of high volatility, I have seen
rack prices change 5 times in 10 hours. Along with who has the best
prices.

Sure, this doesn't apply exactly to bullets,
But the concepts do.

If someone will pay that, that’s what it’s worth.

Originally Posted by CashisKing
What makes you think you think 50 cents a primer is not the new standard?

What makes you think $2 a round is not a new standard for 223 ammo?

What makes you think $100 a pound it's not the new standard for eloading powder?

What makes you think $12 per gallon is not the new standard for gasoline?
Yep.
Look at trucks. 20 or so years back a nice f250 was about $30k

Today a nicely outfitted f250 is double that, or more.

Ammo and supplies had barely kept up with inflation.

Dollar ain't worth what it used to be
As a store owner in the firearms business, this will be the new normal for a while. Prices are escalating at every level. Midway buys direct and from distribution just like I do - and right now we take it anywhere we can get it regardless of price. Prices are being inflated at a rapid rate. Distribution increases are out pacing those from manufacturers.

Example: a year ago I was paying a tad under $10 a box for specific 45 ACP FMJ, 50 round box. I was allocated a pallet today through distribution and that same exact ammo is now almost $21 per box. I was happy to get it! We’ve maintained our same margins, but the product is considerably higher than it was in January of 2020.

We have lines at the door every morning. They rush to the ammo shelves. Crazy times and I don’t see an end in sight. It’ll get much worse once the political anti gun rhetoric gets full force.
Is an explanation really necessary? The seller sets the price regardless of the commodity. If there is a pile of buyers her/she is an idiot to not raise the price. At least we have t least four years of a topic.
Originally Posted by CBB

??

Not sure what's confusing

Gouging - A term with no meaning, and no basis in fact

Entitlement - the belief that a business owes you their goods at a price you deem fair, especially when the market dictates otherwise

I think Texas must have a meaning for the word “gouging”. They have been taking different companies to court over it. Don’t know how it turned out. Maybe they haven’t heard it’s an entitlement yet?
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
As a store owner in the firearms business, this will be the new normal for a while. Prices are escalating at every level. Midway buys direct and from distribution just like I do - and right now we take it anywhere we can get it regardless of price. Prices are being inflated at a rapid rate. Distribution increases are out pacing those from manufacturers.

Example: a year ago I was paying a tad under $10 a box for specific 45 ACP FMJ, 50 round box. I was allocated a pallet today through distribution and that same exact ammo is now almost $21 per box. I was happy to get it! We’ve maintained our same margins, but the product is considerably higher than it was in January of 2020.

We have lines at the door every morning. They rush to the ammo shelves. Crazy times and I don’t see an end in sight. It’ll get much worse once the political anti gun rhetoric gets full force.

Hope all is well there shortactionsmoker,

It's always nice to hear it from the "horse's mouth" so to speak.

Unfortunately, there are folks here that won't believe you and will believe there is a major conspiracy creating "holes" in the distribution channels, no matter how much evidence to the contrary.
Additionally there are a lot more operating costs than just the costs of the product a business sells. Thats why the difference between the product cost and the sale price is called gross profit not net profit. When you got less product to sell you got lower sales volume so less gross profit to cover all the other operating expenses that keep coming in regardless of how much inventory you get to sell. Welcome to the new normal.

You poor baby!
Posted By: sackett Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
This is the first of the year when price increases usually happen. It could very well be that Barnes and Nosler jack up their prices. It does happen in the real-world.
I am going to level with you homies. If I ran a gun and gun parts business, where people were lining up to throw money at me like a gaggle of drunken sailors at a strip club, I'd jack my prices up too. I'd be inclined to limit quantities, thinking most people will order a little something extra with each purchase. The more of those little something extras I sell, the better.
Posted By: killerv Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
dont they have to anticipate another rise in their cost next time they buy more inventory? You think its gonna be the same every time?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Hope all is well there shortactionsmoker,

It's always nice to hear it from the "horse's mouth" so to speak.

Unfortunately, there are folks here that won't believe you and will believe there is a major conspiracy creating "holes" in the distribution channels, no matter how much evidence to the contrary.

This in spades.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by cra1948
I don't know how anyone can criticize Midway for the prices they charge, not knowing what Midway is paying for the products in the first place, or what their expenses are. If you don't like their prices, don't buy their stuff. It's that simple. Just like you, they've got a right to offer what they've got for whatever price they want to charge. What do want, some governmental mandate that tells them what they need to sell stuff for? The cost of everything is going up, or haven't you noticed? It's going up for Larry Poterfield just like it is for the rest of us. The best way to bring the prices down is for everybody to just stop buying the stuff.
All true, that..........
The entitlement mentality expressed by some posters on these shortage/price threads is stunning. The pronouncements of opinions stated as "facts" equally so.

If you've been shooting for more than eight years, then you remember what happened to components, ammo, and firearms availability after Sandy Hook. That was the fourth big shortage in the past 25 or so years.

From 2015 through the end of 2019, all these items were readily available at reasonable prices. If you didn't stock up then, and need components that you can't get now, then you've nobody to blame but yourself.

For those who say they couldn't budget enough to buy three or four years' worth of components during those years, I say that if your budget is that tight, then maybe you should evaluate your priorities. Don't impulsively buy a rifle chambered in the latest super duper cartridge "just to try out". Don't spend thousands of dollars on a scope/rifle combo that gets you 10% tighter groups than a $1,500 scope/rifle combo. The $2500 you save goes a long ways to buying components. The "To hit an elk at 1,000 yards and need the accuracy" argument is garbage. Is it really that difficult to actually hunt and get within a quarter mile of an animal?

People have posted in these threads statements to the effect that "I have enough for now, but if I don't drastically cut back on my shooting, I'll run out soon".

The solution is simple. Don't go shooting until components are more available. I know, I know, "But I want to go shooting! It's my right!"

Grow up and stop acting like entitled children. I have been slowly building up components over the past 25 years, ever since the Clinton assault weapons ban law of '94 caused the first shortage that I remember. If they saw my inventory, the entitled children here would call me a "hoarder".

I'd rather be called a hoarder by the unwise than be known as a whiner to the wise.
OM,G.... Everyone has turned against me. I'm too important for this to be happening to me. Now it's even Midway who I thought was a special friend becauze they always took my money in the past and then they sent me stuff.

I'm feeling so bad for myself that I think I'll shoot myself, but I'm extremely short-sighted and I didn't see any of this happening just over the end of my nose, and I don't have any ammunition to use. Those bastids...!

I think Texas must have a meaning for the word “gouging”. They have been taking different companies to court over it. Don’t know how it turned out. Maybe they haven’t heard it’s an entitlement yet?

You can always count on the government to get involved where they have no business....gotta make it "fair" ya know.
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
The entitlement mentality expressed by some posters on these shortage/price threads is stunning. The pronouncements of opinions stated as "facts" equally so.

If you've been shooting for more than eight years, then you remember what happened to components, ammo, and firearms availability after Sandy Hook. That was the fourth big shortage in the past 25 or so years.

From 2015 through the end of 2019, all these items were readily available at reasonable prices. If you didn't stock up then, and need components that you can't get now, then you've nobody to blame but yourself.

For those who say they couldn't budget enough to buy three or four years' worth of components during those years, I say that if your budget is that tight, then maybe you should evaluate your priorities. Don't impulsively buy a rifle chambered in the latest super duper cartridge "just to try out". Don't spend thousands of dollars on a scope/rifle combo that gets you 10% tighter groups than a $1,500 scope/rifle combo. The $2500 you save goes a long ways to buying components. The "To hit an elk at 1,000 yards and need the accuracy" argument is garbage. Is it really that difficult to actually hunt and get within a quarter mile of an animal?

People have posted in these threads statements to the effect that "I have enough for now, but if I don't drastically cut back on my shooting, I'll run out soon".

The solution is simple. Don't go shooting until components are more available. I know, I know, "But I want to go shooting! It's my right!"

Grow up and stop acting like entitled children. I have been slowly building up components over the past 25 years, ever since the Clinton assault weapons ban law of '94 caused the first shortage that I remember. If they saw my inventory, the entitled children here would call me a "hoarder".

I'd rather be called a hoarder by the unwise than be known as a whiner to the wise.
You read and hear stories about people during the Great Depression buying ammo by the round (not by the box) to hunt with, even rimfire, because of how relatively expensive ammo was. And stores would sell it that way, i.e., they'd open boxes up and price them by round.
Where is it that you are buying cheaper? If you can find it at all........
Posted By: WAM Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
And just what are you going to do with all that stuff you hoard? Inquiring minds want to know.....
Originally Posted by BayouRover
OM,G.... Everyone has turned against me. I'm too important for this to be happening to me. Now it's even Midway who I thought was a special friend becauze they always took my money in the past and then they sent me stuff.

I'm feeling so bad for myself that I think I'll shoot myself, but I'm extremely short-sighted and I didn't see any of this happening just over the end of my nose, and I don't have any ammunition to use. Those bastids...!

Good morning sunshine. Great to have you here spreading your usual cheer.
People are azzholes for hoarding.

People are also azzholes for not hoarding.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That about sums it up.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by WAM
And just what are you going to do with all that stuff you hoard? Inquiring minds want to know.....

I keep enough on hand to get me through a few seasons of normal shooting, just in case my fellow shooters get a contagious case of the stupid like the one that is going on now. In addition to that, I keep enough on hand in the event anyone wants to visit their civil unrest on me. That strategy has never found me wanting or paying ridiculous prices.
Originally Posted by WAM

Keep shooting like I always do...that's the whole point, ain't it?

Of course, I would be lying if I said I hadn't made a boatload off the excess I have accumulated over the years. I have been lucky, and fell into a number of "right place, right time" deals. With the market in its current state, seems as though the "right place" has happened again.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Supply and demand determines price. Always has. Always will. Those shooting supply businesses are not the welfare office.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Supply and demand determines price. Always has. Always will. Those shooting supply businesses are not the welfare office.

Not always, Google up the word 'collusion'.
If you feel the need to buy right now, you get what you deserve. What gun enthusiast really needs more ammo right now? If you're buying you're hoarding. You are the problem.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The whiney bitch strikes again..... laugh
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
If you feel the need to buy right now, you get what you deserve. What gun enthusiast really needs more ammo right now? If you're buying you're hoarding. You are the problem.

LOL
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
...You read and hear stories about people during the Great Depression buying ammo by the round (not by the box) to hunt with, even rimfire, because of how relatively expensive ammo was. And stores would sell it that way, i.e., they'd open boxes up and price them by round.

I think that it would be interesting to talk with someone who was of shooting age during WWII (too young or too old to serve, of course) about that. From what I understand, ammunition wasn't so much hard to get as it was basically non-existent. Did people buy ammunition by the round because it was so expensive, or because they only bought what they needed at the moment? If it was expensive, did they do so because they didn't have their priorities in order? If an individual happened upon a store that miraculously had three boxes of ammunition, did he buy all three? Would the proprietor sell him all three? How would be be viewed by his peers if he did buy all three? Just some musings that came to me while reading some WWII-era newspapers.
"Relatively expensive" means relative to what most folks had to spend on ammo at the time.
I have an extremely difficult time taking the last of something...or taking all of something.

Drives my wife nuts.
I have an extremely difficult time taking the last of something...or taking all of something.

Drives my wife nuts.

As do I.

Somehow that manages to fall outside the long list of things I do that drive my wife nuts.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

The whiney bitch strikes again..... laugh

I have a hunch the two of you would be besties IRL. Neither of you are very bright and you have much in common with Jeff Dunham's Walter. Odd to see him launching the first salvo though.
I don't think a lot of this goes to hoarders.

Take for instance Remington thunderbolt 22lr 500 round box. My local store received their shipments from the distributer early this week/late last week. Meaning the manufacturer must have shipped. And wouldn't you know it, Gun Broker has a sudden ample supply of such ammo selling at $100+ a box when it retails at $30 a box (thats pretty steep I think). And its not just Gun broker.

Just like with the early covid face masks and hand sanitizer, folks are stock piling this stuff and trying to make a tidy profit off the resale.

Folks just need to stop paying these astronomical prices and let those folks sit on their stock pile for a bit. Then prices and store stocks will stabilize.
Originally Posted by WAM

First, its none of your business, all my stuff was legally purchased through retail channels.

But, since you claim to have an inquiring (I think you actually meant enquiring, but whatever) mind, I'll tell you.

I'll keep shooting like I always do and not worry and whine about not having any components readily available. If I'm a bit low on a specific component, I won't use it up. It's called conserving one's resources.

Is it "hoarding" if I have a freezer full of meat and stored canned goods to last my family a month? Or is it being prepared for any unforeseen disruption in the food supply chain, such as what happened last spring?

Has society fallen so far that people have no concept of how to plan ahead?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...You read and hear stories about people during the Great Depression buying ammo by the round (not by the box) to hunt with, even rimfire, because of how relatively expensive ammo was. And stores would sell it that way, i.e., they'd open boxes up and price them by round.

I think that it would be interesting to talk with someone who was of shooting age during WWII (too young or too old to serve, of course) about that. From what I understand, ammunition wasn't so much hard to get as it was basically non-existent. Did people buy ammunition by the round because it was so expensive, or because they only bought what they needed at the moment? If it was expensive, did they do so because they didn't have their priorities in order? If an individual happened upon a store that miraculously had three boxes of ammunition, did he buy all three? Would the proprietor sell him all three? How would be be viewed by his peers if he did buy all three? Just some musings that came to me while reading some WWII-era newspapers.

I recall my grandfather mentioning that he could only get black powder shotgun shells during WW2.
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
I don't think a lot of this goes to hoarders.

Take for instance Remington thunderbolt 22lr 500 round box. My local store received their shipments from the distributer early this week/late last week. Meaning the manufacturer must have shipped. And wouldn't you know it, Gun Broker has a sudden ample supply of such ammo selling at $100+ a box when it retails at $30 a box (thats pretty steep I think). And its not just Gun broker.

Just like with the early covid face masks and hand sanitizer, folks are stock piling this stuff and trying to make a tidy profit off the resale.

Folks just need to stop paying these astronomical prices and let those folks sit on their stock pile for a bit. Then prices and store stocks will stabilize.

Damn! A hundred dollars a box of 500? I'm burning through about $50.00 a week in .22 ammo, then. Of course, I bought it (i.e., a 10,000 round case) when they were going for cheap, but still, that was then, this is now. Kinda ruins the fun I've been having shooting my twenty-twos at the range. It's like shooting gold bullets now.

In many cases (specifically urban areas), yes.
I feel sorry for those that were not prepared for this shortage. Hopefully this will pass. Hard to believe not to long ago I was receiving emails selling CCI std. velocity ammo for 25.00 a brick. Wish I would have bought more.
Hasbeen
Originally Posted by WAM

First, its none of your business, all my stuff was legally purchased through retail channels.

But, since you claim to have an inquiring (I think you actually meant enquiring, but whatever) mind, I'll tell you.

I'll keep shooting like I always do and not worry and whine about not having any components readily available. If I'm a bit low on a specific component, I won't use it up. It's called conserving one's resources.

Is it "hoarding" if I have a freezer full of meat and stored canned goods to last my family a month? Or is it being prepared for any unforeseen disruption in the food supply chain, such as what happened last spring?

Yes, yes society has. In my household and my upbringing we had large pantries, canners, gardens, freezers, ect... I don't believe we had a name for putting up food stores. Its just what folks do. Now days the people that go to the grocery store and starbucks every day or two call us "Preppers" or "Hoarders".

Always makes mw think of that song, "I was county before country was cool". LOL
It's refreshing reading this thread to actually see how many people truly "get it". It's always enlightening to see people pontificating about how a retailer is "screwing me". Really? They have product "x" and tell you what their price is. You can pay it or you can pass. How's that screwing you? That's about as honest as they can be with you.

With the subject matter of this thread, we all need to keep in mind we are talking about a hobby. I'm sure there are a couple here whose food subsistence requirements include taking game regularly. Fortunately, you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm also sure there are a few who are concerned about their stockpile for TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it); but, that's a different discussion.

First world problems are nice to have. Don't get me wrong, I would rather pay less than I do for almost anything; but, I'm glad I am worried about whether or not I will be able to buy large rifle primers next year than whether or not I'll be able to find food or water.
Posted By: mathman Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

That about sums it up.

Executive summary: People are assholes.
Anybody without a bulk tank in their yard full of stabilized gas they rotate through is a short-sighted moron. Anybody that’s not retarded would do that and buy when the cost of gas is low, so they can weather the high gas price years. No sympathy. Fugking idiots get what they deserve.

Should also have at least one 2,000 gallon propane tank if you have anything that runs off it.
Oh and tires. They keep going up too, tied to the price of oil right?

If you don’t have 10 years worth of new tires stored in a cool dry location out of the sun you’re an idiot
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Anybody without a bulk tank in their yard full of stabilized gas they rotate through is a short-sighted moron. Anybody that’s not retarded would do that and buy when the cost of gas is low, so they can weather the high gas price years. No sympathy. Fugking idiots get what they deserve.

Should also have at least one 2,000 gallon propane tank if you have anything that runs off it.

Yes, that is exactly the same thing. Carry on.
Fugkin a right it is. It’s a consumable you have the ability to stockpile with forethought.

If you don’t have 10 years worth of new tires stored in a cool dry location out of the sun you’re an idiot

I don't recall any major disruptions in fossil fuel supply over the past 25-30 years.

I recall several disruptions in the guns/ammo/components supply during that time.

Learn from the past, and prepare accordingly.

Or don't learn anything, don't prepare, and whine about it.

BayouBoy will be along shortly to ask (for a friend of course) if KY Jelly is petroleum based.
The arrogant [bleep] that come on every thread crowing about what they’ve stockpiled for ammo and components mocking and denigrating guys looking for said items can eat a dick.

The things I listed that ought to be stockpiled as well was not hyperbole. It’s just easier to sit back in the saddle of self-righteousness on a horse named Hubris and count your ammo.
Posted By: mathman Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

BayouBoy will be along shortly to ask (for a friend of course) if KY Jelly is petroleum based.

Isn't it mined in Kentucky?

I don't recall any major disruptions in fossil fuel supply over the past 25-30 years.

I recall several disruptions in the guns/ammo/components supply during that time.

Learn from the past, and prepare accordingly.

Or don't learn anything, don't prepare, and whine about it.

Same as petroleum based products, ammo and components can be had, you just have to pony up the dough for the going rate.
The arrogant [bleep] that come on every thread crowing about what they’ve stockpiled for ammo and components mocking and denigrating guys looking for said items can eat a dick.

The things I listed that ought to be stockpiled as well was not hyperbole. It’s just easier to sit back in the saddle of self-righteousness on a horse named Hubris and count your ammo.

No self-righteousness or hubris here. Just pointing out how all this was completely predictable, and easily prepared for. Is it really so hard to pick up a brick of primers once every couple months when you're in a sporting goods store, even if you have no immediate use for them? How about bullets? You need one box, pick up an extra one once every third time you purchase them.

You're angry, I'm not. I'm fine on components, you're apparently not.

It's somewhat amusing, but has become more annoying than anything else.
Posted By: deflave Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

LOL
The best, or worst, part is when someone finds out you have excess, or something to sell, they expect you to sell it to them at pre-panic prices. They seem to think their knowledge of what stuff used to cost has some bearing on current value.

I posted a couple of 8lb cans of powder on a local buy-sell-trade group right around Christmas....and yes the price was quite high. You would be amazed at the number of folks who got immeasurably angry because I wouldn't sell it to them at the price Midway or Powder Valley has listed, even though they were out of stock. It was quite entertaining.
I’m sitting fine myself as well. Matter of fact I’m inventorying what I’ve got this morning.

Don’t jump to conclusions, you look more foolish than when you started.

I can afford to wait it out and hope things come down before I “need” to buy anything. It’s the gloating and condescension that trips my trigger.

Not everyone is set up to reload, or in a position to store massive amounts of components if they do.
I’m sitting fine myself as well. I can afford to wait it out and hope things come down before I “need” to buy anything. It’s the gloating and condescension that trips my trigger.

Not everyone is set up to reload, or in a position to store massive amounts of components if they do.

Very valid post.

You go girl.... laugh Rock that spandex while you can.

Wanna' but some cheap ammo or components? laugh If I run across a seller, I'll let you know.
The best, or worst, part is when someone finds out you have excess, or something to sell, they expect you to sell it to them at pre-panic prices. They seem to think their knowledge of what stuff used to cost has some bearing on current value. ...

Very valid point. Then you have sellers who want "what I have in it" (particularly firearms at gun shows) to have some bearing on the price that a person should be willing to pay.
I’m sitting fine myself as well. I can afford to wait it out and hope things come down before I “need” to buy anything. It’s the gloating and condescension that trips my trigger.

If shooting is soooooo important to someone, then they should prepare for shortages that have happened every 6-8 years for the past thirty or so years.

Eating is rather important to me. In fact, it's one of those things that I have decided my family and I can't do without, so I bought a large upright freezer 10-12 years ago. Not so much to prepare for shortages (although having a freezer full of food came in handy last year), but because my wife will buy a large quantity of something on sale, I divide it up and freeze it in individual packages sized for one family meal. It has saved us a lot of money over the years and probably paid for the initial cost of the freezer within 3-4 years.

Shooting is important to me, but not as much as eating, so I buy when things are on sale, and ride out the disruptions. Remember when primers were $16 per brick? I do. I have some that are marked as such that I've been using for aging tests. They still go bang with no degradation in velocity results over the past 25 years. I'll still keep testing them over the next 15-20 years until I die or get bored with doing it.

It's nice having primers on hand that will last me the rest of my life, and I don't think I paid more than $20-$25 per brick for them. Ever. And I've never bought more than two bricks at a time, that I recall.

If shooting is soooooo important to someone, then they should prepare for shortages that have happened every 6-8 years for the past thirty or so years.

Eating is rather important to me. In fact, it's one of those things that I have decided my family and I can't do without, so I bought a large upright freezer 10-12 years ago. Not so much to prepare for shortages (although having a freezer full of food came in handy last year), but because my wife will buy a large quantity of something on sale, I divide it up and freeze it in individual packages sized for one family meal. It has saved us a lot of money over the years and probably paid for the initial cost of the freezer within 3-4 years.

Shooting is important to me, but not as much as eating, so I buy when things are on sale, and ride out the disruptions. Remember when primers were $16 per brick? I do. I have some that are marked as such that I've been using for aging tests. They still go bang with no degradation in velocity results over the past 25 years. I'll still keep testing them over the next 15-20 years until I die or get bored with doing it.

It's nice having primers on hand that will last me the rest of my life, and I don't think I paid more than $20-$25 per brick for them. Ever. And I've never bought more than two bricks at a time, that I recall.

I get it, and that’s great.

But it’s like when a guy says his marriage is on the rocks and is worried about his kids. Then the posts roll in “been married to the same gal for 59 years, she’s wonderful. Best mom ever! Look at my grandkids!”
BGG, I don't think we're all that far off in some ways. My issue isn't with not being prepared for something, it's the complaining and whining from people who really should know better.

I've sold bullets, brass, and yes, primers to friends during the last couple (and current) shortages. I generally sell to them at what Midway has listed for the price, even though they're out of stock.

Except primers.

Historically, after the last two primer shortages, when they became plentiful again, they had jumped in price 20-30% from pre-panic pricing. I just sold some primers to a friend for not what Midway has them listed for, but what I think they'll be priced at in two years, based upon historical precedent. He agreed with my logic, and was glad to pay that price, viewing it as me doing him a tremendous favor. My pricing was less than a third of what I've seen them listed for recently on Gunbroker and Armslist.

But I only do this for friends, and not as a way to supplement my income.
To add to that last post, I fully expect the going retail price of primers to be $60+ per brick, if/when they become readily available again in a couple years. Add tax to that. If shipping, add postage and hazmat fees to that.
BGG, I don't think we're all that far off in some ways. My issue isn't with not being prepared for something, it's the complaining and whining from people who really should know better....

HH and BGG, I understand and agree with where both of you are coming from. I guess that my issue leans toward that of HH in that I am more sick and tired of the gloating and lecturing than I am of the whining (I am sick and tired of both.)
Originally Posted by WAM

HoosierHawk, Not to worry about these particular brethren.

They'll be fine.

Starbuck's and Einsein Bros bagels are only 23 floors and 2 blocks away.
No dude, we’re on the same page really. I’m not defending whiners stamping their feet and demanding prices they think they are entitled to. At all. Especially guys that should have known better and got caught flat footed, then instead of owning it and doing what they can, they bitch and cry.

There’s a couple things I wish I had more of, but I was asleep at the wheel and got blindsided by the election. My bad, I’ll either go without or pay the piper.

But I do take huge issue with guys that cruise stores selling stuff low, then buy with the sole intent of flipping. Honestly I hope they trip and knock their teeth out, then suffer through disfigurement and financial ruin after the infection sets in.

I prepare as best I can for things as best I can. Sometimes I make a good call sometimes I don’t lol. Onus is on me either way.
The flippers disgust me as well.

Why is that?

When the manufacturers make a profit, it's fine. When the distributors make a profit, it's fine. When the retailers make a profit, it's fine. But add one more link to the chain, and it's suddenly disgusting?

What if I am selling things I bought five years ago at bargain basement prices, and quadrupling, or more, my money now? Am I still a flipper?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21

Condense to fit in a Fortune Cookie

LOL

🦫

Why is that?

When the manufacturers make a profit, it's fine. When the distributors make a profit, it's fine. When the retailers make a profit, it's fine. But add one more link to the chain, and it's suddenly disgusting?

What if I am selling things I bought five years ago at bargain basement prices, and quadrupling, or more, my money now? Am I still a flipper?

Because they're causing an artificial, temporary disruption of the market.

Note I didn't say they should be arrested, nor did I say they should be legally limited on their purchasing by retailers. Were I a retailer, I would limit purchasing on some items, which is my right.

What the the flippers are doing is perfectly legal, no different than hedge fund managers of today or land speculators 150 years ago.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But when I see people asking $300 for a box pf primers, even if someone is willing to pay it or not, it disgusts me. They have every right to ask it, and someone has every right to pay that if they want.

Caveat emptor still applies. My biggest concern is that when there are major market disruptions in various market segments, governments tend to step in to "do something".

That is the last thing I want the government to do in any market, particularly shooting sports related items. Could you see the current administration using this as an excuse to limit purchase quantities on items permanently, saying they are "protecting consumers"? We all know that wouldn't be the real reason, but it would give them an excuse to "do something".

Not good.

Why is that?

You’re a victim looking for an assailant.

Selling something you bought 5 years ago isn’t flipping. Driving around looking for lower priced items, buying, then reselling shortly thereafter is flipping.

Shidteating lowlifes buying .22s at what was retail price by the pallet then parting it out at a gun show the next weekend is what I’m talking about. Anyone engaged in such, I hope find financial ruination and are reduced to surviving on the benevolence and charity of others.
It's not people buying to flip anything, you all are killing your own market. Selling used equipment, dies, components, scopes, and firearms at near nothing prices every time things get rough. Companies can't keep producing new with everyone under cutting them at every turn. People use to buy only what was needed and used, fewer company's were able to supply those needs and still make a profit, Can't be done anymore, market killed itself.

Phil
Originally Posted by Greyghost
It's not people buying to flip anything, you all are killing your own market. Selling used equipment, dies, components, scopes, and firearms at near nothing prices every time things get rough. Companies can't keep producing new with everyone under cutting them at every turn. People use to buy only what was needed and used, fewer company's were able to supply those needs and still make a profit, Can't be done anymore, market killed itself.

Phil

Interesting choice of words. “Your own market”

Crawl back in your hole.
Only way I’d bitch is if i though i was paying $xx.xxx and after checkout got a notice that i was charged $yy.yy.

That’s jacking the price up.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Condense to fit in a Fortune Cookie

LOL

🦫

“Don’t be a self righteous cu nt”.

smile
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/28/21
Beav be a [bleep] . Shim can’t help it.

Why is that?

You’re a victim looking for an assailant.

Selling something you bought 5 years ago isn’t flipping. Driving around looking for lower priced items, buying, then reselling shortly thereafter is flipping.

Shidteating lowlifes buying .22s at what was retail price by the pallet then parting it out at a gun show the next weekend is what I’m talking about. Anyone engaged in such, I hope find financial ruination and are reduced to surviving on the benevolence and charity of others.

I know exactly what was being described, just wanted to point out the slippery slope. There is zero difference in me selling things I bought yesterday, last month, or last year.

As for the "lowlifes," I don't do such things, but I have zero issue with others doing it. Its legal, its profitable, and its a completely consensual trade in a luxury commodity that no one is forced to buy. Why wouldn't folks avail themselves to that opportunity?
Posted By: KevinLA Re: Midway jacking prices now - 01/30/21

Thanks for sharing the perspective. This is truly aweful
© 24hourcampfire