Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And just what are you going to do with all that stuff you hoard? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
OM,G.... Everyone has turned against me. I'm too important for this to be happening to me. Now it's even Midway who I thought was a special friend becauze they always took my money in the past and then they sent me stuff.

I'm feeling so bad for myself that I think I'll shoot myself, but I'm extremely short-sighted and I didn't see any of this happening just over the end of my nose, and I don't have any ammunition to use. Those bastids...!

Good morning sunshine. Great to have you here spreading your usual cheer.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
People are azzholes for hoarding.

People are also azzholes for not hoarding.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
People are azzholes for hoarding.

People are also azzholes for not hoarding.

That about sums it up.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WAM
And just what are you going to do with all that stuff you hoard? Inquiring minds want to know.....

I keep enough on hand to get me through a few seasons of normal shooting, just in case my fellow shooters get a contagious case of the stupid like the one that is going on now. In addition to that, I keep enough on hand in the event anyone wants to visit their civil unrest on me. That strategy has never found me wanting or paying ridiculous prices.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WAM

Keep shooting like I always do...that's the whole point, ain't it?

Of course, I would be lying if I said I hadn't made a boatload off the excess I have accumulated over the years. I have been lucky, and fell into a number of "right place, right time" deals. With the market in its current state, seems as though the "right place" has happened again.

Last edited by liliysdad; 01/28/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supply and demand determines price. Always has. Always will. Those shooting supply businesses are not the welfare office.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hastings
Supply and demand determines price. Always has. Always will. Those shooting supply businesses are not the welfare office.

Not always, Google up the word 'collusion'.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you feel the need to buy right now, you get what you deserve. What gun enthusiast really needs more ammo right now? If you're buying you're hoarding. You are the problem.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
OM,G.... Everyone has turned against me. I'm too important for this to be happening to me. Now it's even Midway who I thought was a special friend becauze they always took my money in the past and then they sent me stuff.

I'm feeling so bad for myself that I think I'll shoot myself, but I'm extremely short-sighted and I didn't see any of this happening just over the end of my nose, and I don't have any ammunition to use. Those bastids...!

The whiney bitch strikes again..... laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
If you feel the need to buy right now, you get what you deserve. What gun enthusiast really needs more ammo right now? If you're buying you're hoarding. You are the problem.

LOL

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
...You read and hear stories about people during the Great Depression buying ammo by the round (not by the box) to hunt with, even rimfire, because of how relatively expensive ammo was. And stores would sell it that way, i.e., they'd open boxes up and price them by round.

I think that it would be interesting to talk with someone who was of shooting age during WWII (too young or too old to serve, of course) about that. From what I understand, ammunition wasn't so much hard to get as it was basically non-existent. Did people buy ammunition by the round because it was so expensive, or because they only bought what they needed at the moment? If it was expensive, did they do so because they didn't have their priorities in order? If an individual happened upon a store that miraculously had three boxes of ammunition, did he buy all three? Would the proprietor sell him all three? How would be be viewed by his peers if he did buy all three? Just some musings that came to me while reading some WWII-era newspapers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Relatively expensive" means relative to what most folks had to spend on ammo at the time.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have an extremely difficult time taking the last of something...or taking all of something.

Drives my wife nuts.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have an extremely difficult time taking the last of something...or taking all of something.

Drives my wife nuts.

As do I.

Somehow that manages to fall outside the long list of things I do that drive my wife nuts.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The whiney bitch strikes again..... laugh

I have a hunch the two of you would be besties IRL. Neither of you are very bright and you have much in common with Jeff Dunham's Walter. Odd to see him launching the first salvo though.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I don't think a lot of this goes to hoarders.

Take for instance Remington thunderbolt 22lr 500 round box. My local store received their shipments from the distributer early this week/late last week. Meaning the manufacturer must have shipped. And wouldn't you know it, Gun Broker has a sudden ample supply of such ammo selling at $100+ a box when it retails at $30 a box (thats pretty steep I think). And its not just Gun broker.

Just like with the early covid face masks and hand sanitizer, folks are stock piling this stuff and trying to make a tidy profit off the resale.

Folks just need to stop paying these astronomical prices and let those folks sit on their stock pile for a bit. Then prices and store stocks will stabilize.

Rick
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WAM

First, its none of your business, all my stuff was legally purchased through retail channels.

But, since you claim to have an inquiring (I think you actually meant enquiring, but whatever) mind, I'll tell you.

I'll keep shooting like I always do and not worry and whine about not having any components readily available. If I'm a bit low on a specific component, I won't use it up. It's called conserving one's resources.

Is it "hoarding" if I have a freezer full of meat and stored canned goods to last my family a month? Or is it being prepared for any unforeseen disruption in the food supply chain, such as what happened last spring?

Has society fallen so far that people have no concept of how to plan ahead?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
...You read and hear stories about people during the Great Depression buying ammo by the round (not by the box) to hunt with, even rimfire, because of how relatively expensive ammo was. And stores would sell it that way, i.e., they'd open boxes up and price them by round.

I think that it would be interesting to talk with someone who was of shooting age during WWII (too young or too old to serve, of course) about that. From what I understand, ammunition wasn't so much hard to get as it was basically non-existent. Did people buy ammunition by the round because it was so expensive, or because they only bought what they needed at the moment? If it was expensive, did they do so because they didn't have their priorities in order? If an individual happened upon a store that miraculously had three boxes of ammunition, did he buy all three? Would the proprietor sell him all three? How would be be viewed by his peers if he did buy all three? Just some musings that came to me while reading some WWII-era newspapers.

I recall my grandfather mentioning that he could only get black powder shotgun shells during WW2.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
I don't think a lot of this goes to hoarders.

Take for instance Remington thunderbolt 22lr 500 round box. My local store received their shipments from the distributer early this week/late last week. Meaning the manufacturer must have shipped. And wouldn't you know it, Gun Broker has a sudden ample supply of such ammo selling at $100+ a box when it retails at $30 a box (thats pretty steep I think). And its not just Gun broker.

Just like with the early covid face masks and hand sanitizer, folks are stock piling this stuff and trying to make a tidy profit off the resale.

Folks just need to stop paying these astronomical prices and let those folks sit on their stock pile for a bit. Then prices and store stocks will stabilize.

Damn! A hundred dollars a box of 500? I'm burning through about $50.00 a week in .22 ammo, then. Of course, I bought it (i.e., a 10,000 round case) when they were going for cheap, but still, that was then, this is now. Kinda ruins the fun I've been having shooting my twenty-twos at the range. It's like shooting gold bullets now.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,006
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.