Home
Posted By: memtb Absophufuqueinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21
Watch my old hometown news from last night. Power out, getting cold. People are leaving their homes to go to a motel.... how is a motel gonna stay warm with no power? Shows people lined-up, filling small suv’s and cars with firewood! I’m guessing they have someplace to burn the firewood! I can’t believe the lack of preparation!!! whistle
If you have a fireplace, it’s winter time.....wouldn’t it be wise to have a small stack of firewood? mad It would be like going to the grocery store daily, and buying just enough food for one frigging meal! I’m dumbfounded! memtb
A friend of my brothers called him worried about a power outage with the cold weather. His biggest concern was the food in the fridge going bad with no electricity.... you can’t make this stuff up...
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
A friend of my brothers called him worried about a power outage with the cold weather. His biggest concern was the food in the fridge going bad with no electricity.... you can’t make this stuff up...

I wonder if he's ever locked the keys in his convertible with the top down?????
no worse than in Florida, where every year, we get a hurricane, or several, and every year, most of the folks are clueless, and don't even have a bottle of water set aside. It's human nature I guess these days, to totally depend on someone else for your basic safety.

I can't begin to count the number of people who've expressed to me that they thought that a 'fridge would not only keep food cold, but also keep it from freezing, as if it also had a heat function.
You wouldn't believe how many city people who live in apartments and condos only have food on hand for a couple meals. Many of them eat out at least once a day. They have no storage for food.
I bet he’s accidentally locked his family in the car.
Best thing to happen is for our grid to go down for 6 weeks. Kill off the bottom 40% of the gene pool and start over.
The way people depend on someone else is how the commies are grabbing them by the round things! Be Well, RZ.
I remember a few ice storms, while living down there, in the ‘60’s/‘70’s, maybe not quite this magnitude.....but, ice covered roads, ect, and it didn’t get much attention!

Hell, I was working 3-11 shift at a local paper mill, when we had a little ice storm. It barely made the news! Ice covered roadways, for my 18 mile home...... on my motorcycle! A bit challenging....glad it was a 1973 Honda XL 250 and not a 600+ pound “Hog”! grin memtb
Originally Posted by bowfisher
Best thing to happen is for our grid to go down for 6 weeks. Kill off the bottom 40% of the gene pool and start over.

I told my wife almost exactly that same thing yesterday. Her sister lives in Dallas and they've been without power for a day and we are pretty sure they are dead by now. The BIL is a worthless stream of pussy juice.
Posted By: memtb Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21

I read this to my wife, she said, “It sounds like you wrote it”! grin memtb
Posted By: hanco Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21
We have a good stack of wood, burned a bunch yesterday. Had enough for several more days.

Have plenty of food, brought generator up to run freezer and ice box.

It’s like a cold hurricane, we had no power for two weeks during Ike

Originally Posted by mirage243

I told my wife almost exactly that same thing yesterday. Her sister lives in Dallas and they've been without power for a day and we are pretty sure they are dead by now. The BIL is a worthless stream of pussy juice.

One can only dream, within a week we'd control the country and make sure Trump was in the Whitehouse.
I posted a thread two days ago where I went to the meadow, and cut a truck load of black walnut. That wood is for 2 years from now.
I have enough dry wood on hand for the rest of this winter, and for the next winter.

I took Boy Scouts seriously. "Be Prepared."
Originally Posted by memtb
Watch my old hometown news from last night. Power out, getting cold. People are leaving their homes to go to a motel.... how is a motel gonna stay warm with no power? Shows people lined-up, filling small suv’s and cars with firewood! I’m guessing they have someplace to burn the firewood! I can’t believe the lack of preparation!!! whistle
If you have a fireplace, it’s winter time.....wouldn’t it be wise to have a small stack of firewood? mad It would be like going to the grocery store daily, and buying just enough food for one frigging meal! I’m dumbfounded! memtb

Lots and lots of apartments there now,,,like beau coup plenty.

Still good here with most electric utilities underground and a Hays Towne fireplace going.

Have gone through ~30 lbs of Black Oil Sunflower seeds in the past couple of days.

A balmy 18 degrees , presently.
Hard to make electricity when the windmills are frozen. The fact that Texas can't produce enough electricity to heat homes is inexcusable.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Hard to make electricity when the windmills are frozen. The fact that Texas can't produce enough electricity to heat homes is inexcusable.

A first world country setting on all that energy and they can stay warm. At least the halls of Congress ain’t gettin cold

New Normal, remember "Shared Malaise?" Hitch them britches up, some of the pipeline welders will now be smoke spotters, wood stoves being illegal and all...
Im electic heat. But i have propane camping and grill tanks and space heater if need be.

Bad was tornado that knocked power out 10 days, in summer. No AC.

Lost power so emptied freezer/loaded 4x4 and gave to relatives w power.

Gas water heater so decent shower daily.

Storm they call it here. Maybe 8" snow. Uh, sounds like fuggin reg winter to me.

People in ditches, businesses closed.....for fuggin snow.
Less than a foot.

Whole damn placd turned puzzy.

That chit night have got you a 2 hr school delay back when I was a kid. You know, enough time to shovel the drive and get your sweaty azz to school.
Originally Posted by Muffin

I heard submarines have screen doors. Is this true?

There’s been massive growth in the number of homes in the past decade. One might guess that energy use there now with everyone pretty much at home that they’re seeing the peak usage being redefined to the present.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

The new SS Biden will have em.
Posted By: Dess Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21
If it's that cold and the power is out, put your perishables in a cooler and set it outside. Better yet, keep the damn freezer door shut and use up the perishables first.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

There’s been massive growth in the number of homes in the past decade. One might guess that energy use there now with everyone pretty much at home that they’re seeing the peak usage being redefined to the present.

Does the power demand increase when the temp drops and people heat their homes as opposed to when the temp rises and people must cool their homes?

One would think that hot summer power usage would exceed cold weather usage as not to many people have wood, propane, fuel oil, NG powered air conditioners.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You wouldn't believe how many city people who live in apartments and condos only have food on hand for a couple meals. Many of them eat out at least once a day. They have no storage for food.
Yup - and they ain't gonna be burnin' wood any time soon either...

For power outages, having a portable generator on hand can be a lifesaver..
Originally Posted by steve4102

Does the power demand increase when the temp drops and people heat their homes as opposed to when the temp rises and people must cool their homes?

Many newer homes have “clean electric heat “ and I’d guess that everyone pretty much being at home right now has increased to demand substantially plus the ice on the power lines thing.

Just guessing, Steve.

The power generation capacity in TX during the summer is far higher than in the winter. I'm not exactly sure why but suspect it has to do with nat gas supplies.

http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/real_time_system_conditions.html
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21

One would think that hot summer power usage would exceed cold weather usage as not to many people have wood, propane, fuel oil, NG powered air conditioners.

Excellent point!
Originally Posted by Redneck
Yup - and they ain't gonna be burnin' wood any time soon either...

For power outages, having a portable generator on hand can be a lifesaver..

My 2 portable generators are on loan right now.
I wonder how many of those people have lots of ammunition and/or components, but no generator or alternate heat source.

Makes me think of Seinfeld and the entirety of Manhattan.

They lived at that coffee shop.
The problem right now isn't iced over equipment, or
bad power lines, etc.
The power is being turned on and off at the direction
of the ERCOT beaurecrats according to their poor
game plan.
We've had fantastic electrical generation plants
that have been closed up by other beaurecrats.
Some in this area have said I was FOS, and the
lines were the problem, and to stop blaming the
linemen. It's not the linemen. I've had power out
from down lines and when it's restored, it's not
switched back on by the clock on the dot at the
hour. This outage goes on and off at precise
timed intervals by the clock. By their words,
supposed to be 1 hour out, but more like 6
These incidents should teach people that they need to become at least somewhat self sufficient, unfortunately the message a majority of them take away from it is that we need to make the Government even bigger to do a better job of taking care of us if it happens again. You can’t convince these people that the government can’t protect you. Sheep.
I dont have a fireplace so if the letric goes out, I'm up the creek without a paddle.....after the gas natural goes off (in 61 years it's never shutdown but there is always a first time), and after we've used up 45 gal of propane running 2 large heaters, and after we've used up 20 gal of gasoline running a generator for a small electric heater.

If I got to cut firewood, a whole passel of folks are in worse trouble than me.
No 2hr. school delay back in the day, I got up early enough to shovel the family property with 2 car garage but hiked two blocks down the street and shoveled a place that had a 6 car garage. Then back home in time to walk 1/2 mi. to school, no school busses. H ell I walked to elementary school, HS and even sometimes 2-3 mi. to college.
Posted By: mart Re: Absophufuqueinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21
We're pretty well stocked up on firewood, food, water and we have a back up generator. It's surprising to me how many folks in Alaska are not prepared for emergency situations.

By the time I'm done cutting logs on a couple of 10 acre lots this winter, opening up some views for the landowner, I'll have enough saw logs to keep the mill running all year and I'll be 2 1/2 to 3 years ahead on firewood. And that doesn't include the slabs that are a by product of the mill.

I see folks buying those little bundles of firewood at the grocery store and gas stations and just wish they'd come by the mill. I'd load all the slabs they want for free. Of course most of them don't own anything they could use to reduce the slab to firewood. It's hard to give the slabs away. I have one guy who will come get a trailer load occasionally but most people don't want to work that hard.
Originally Posted by Dess
If it's that cold and the power is out, put your perishables in a cooler and set it outside. Better yet, keep the damn freezer door shut and use up the perishables first.

This is called common sense, it’s not so common anymore.
What would happen if we had a real disaster like major earthquake, asteroid strike or a city getting dirty b ombed?
Folks would have a meltdown.
Aw hell, this aint nothin. When I was a little chap, I had to walk 2 miles to and from school every day. Rain, sleet, snow meant nothing, and it was uphill both ways.
Natural selection is a thing.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
The way people depend on someone else is how the commies are grabbing them by the round things! Be Well, RZ.

........ All part of the dumbing down of America...... Don't you dare be self reliant and have any sense of independence. Why; just relax and let big brother handle everything.
Everybody should have a potable generator , either set up as a home backup, or just sitting in the garage for when needed.

Mine is 10kWatts, gas or propane hooked up to a transfer switch..
It is still manual, so I have to make the transfer myself, won’t do it if I am not home.

Tied into my 120gal propane tank used to heat my garage.
Lack of preparedness is hard for me to fathom, though I have been known to procrastinate plenty myself. It is comforting having two years worth of firewood handy( plus Boxelder) and a years supply of dried goods stored . My family gives me crap for my "weirdness"! Ma hates it that I have Box elder wood stacked in the fields for emergency as she hates the stuff. I keep telling her these are the easy days and we may be fortunate to have that boxelder to burn in the future!
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

It used to be. Now the producers pay to save the ignorant/lazy.

Originally Posted by troublesome82
Lack of preparedness is hard for me to fathom, though I have been known to procrastinate plenty myself. It is comforting having two years worth of firewood handy( plus Boxelder) and a years supply of dried goods stored . My family gives me crap for my "weirdness"! Ma hates it that I have Box elder wood stacked in the fields for emergency as she hates the stuff. I keep telling her these are the easy days and we may be fortunate to have that boxelder to burn in the future!

Genesis 41:

53: When the seven years of abundance in the land of Egypt came to an end,
54: the seven years of famine began, just as Joseph had said. And although there was famine in every country, there was food throughout the land of Egypt.
55: When extreme hunger came to all the land of Egypt and the people cried out to Pharaoh for food, he told all the Egyptians, “Go to Joseph and do whatever he tells you.”
56: When the famine had spread over all the land, Joseph opened up all the storehouses and sold grain to the Egyptians; for the famine was severe in the land of Egypt.
57: And every nation came to Joseph in Egypt to buy grain, because the famine was severe over all the earth.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21
There are lots of resources available for the clever. You can back feed your house from a high current line and jump both sides of the 220vac. This will effectively make your house wiring into a big extension cord. All that is required is all 220vac breakers and the main need to be opened and all high current loads be shut off or disconnected. I run a refrigerator and furnace with a 3000-watt inverter generator. I have excess power available any location for lighting. All the low current devices, cable and internet work.
The generator will run 20 hours/tank. I keep 5 gallons of rec fuel in a steel container through the winter months. In the summer months the generator is used for the RV.
It will only get worse. Never forget in 2021 we have an illegitimate government that needs to be removed yesterday. biden and the democrats did not win their seats. They all cheated in the election, all of the democrats and some republicans too.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

It's still a thing. Reality will assert itself eventually. There is no escape from it, just temporary delusions. The power elites know this. They have set themselves up to profit off of the fear and death, just as they always do. They create the conditions for the fear and death to profit from them.

It's still a thing. Reality will assert itself eventually. There is no escape from it, just temporary delusions. The power elites know this. They have set themselves up to profit off of the fear and death, just as they always do. They create the conditions for the fear and death to profit from them.

There is little doubt we are in the process of scaring people when we don’t need to and convincing the population they need the Government to save them.
Originally Posted by jdunham

There is little doubt we are in the process of scaring people when we don’t need to and convincing the population they need the Government to save them.

The reality that will eventually assert itself is that government is corrupt, and the epitome of evil. The Founding Fathers knew this 250 years ago. The present day is filled with illiterates, dolts, buffoons, and simpletons. Just as the government planned.

Exactly!
Posted By: byron Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21

I lived in Missouri for a year with my wife (She is from Melville, St Louis county) If there was a forecast of snow, you had better have enough in the pantry, because they would empty the shelves of all staples.

I always wondered if people were actually out of everything or if they were worried they wouldn't be able to get to the store for a week through 3 frickin inches of snow / >;
Can’t say this is the reason for all the lack of preparedness.

I have listened to a few flat landers who moved out to the land of mountains and prairies cry out their woes for not squaring themselves away with items required to make themselves comfortable during storms and power outages.

Didn’t matter that they had ample warning, and time to get things they’d need. They didn’t and are crying about being miserable.

Back to the city for some....Seen it many times.

🦫
I can remember in Ft. Worth early '80s, bad ice storm and cold temps, they shut down all the manufacturing and businesses so gas usage for homes could keep up. Our power was out for three days but I had a full rick of post oak, all my neighbors were General Dynamics engineers and laughed as I was laying up a store of firewood (good place for rattlesnakes on the Southside, had a cat that kept them at bay). They did not laugh as I was not paying $9.00 a pop for two sticks at 7-11...
We’ve systematically bred survival instinct out of humans.
There are certain things a grown man, especially a homeowner, should have on hand. Being irresponsible can have a significant cost at times.
Originally Posted by chesterwy
We’ve systematically bred survival instinct out of humans.

Go to the ghetto areas. Top dog rules.

#XidenVoter

Go to the ghetto areas. Top dog rules.

I bet the ghetto in Dallas be pretty chillin right now.

What are the Dons of the gangs going to do, steal furniture to burn to stay warm?

I bet they didn't buy an extra box of 22LR when they were a dollar a box either. Bunch of dummies.
Posted By: rong Re: Absophufuqueinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21

Well Duh,,
How else do they get fresh air to breathe.......

Sure blame Texas for the fuggin greenies in charge of the electrical grid. Vistra sucks and is run by California retards.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...ompany-vistra-is-embracing-clean-energy/
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
no worse than in Florida, where every year, we get a hurricane, or several, and every year, most of the folks are clueless, and don't even have a bottle of water set aside. It's human nature I guess these days, to totally depend on someone else for your basic safety.

It's called conditioning.
Originally Posted by MM879
There are lots of resources available for the clever. You can back feed your house from a high current line and jump both sides of the 220vac. This will effectively make your house wiring into a big extension cord. All that is required is all 220vac breakers and the main need to be opened and all high current loads be shut off or disconnected. I run a refrigerator and furnace with a 3000-watt inverter generator. I have excess power available any location for lighting. All the low current devices, cable and internet work.
The generator will run 20 hours/tank. I keep 5 gallons of rec fuel in a steel container through the winter months. In the summer months the generator is used for the RV.

Make sure that you test the system in real conditions. Night during a blizzard would be a good time to stress the system.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Exactly. This is a case not of nature, but of nurture.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Exactly. This is a case not of nature, but of nurture.

And distraction. Don't forget distraction. Sports, Hollywood, "reality" shows, "news," etc. The bullshit 'o meter is perpetually pegged in the red and people open wide for another spoonful every minute. They call it your regularly scheduled programming for a reason.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Absophufuqeinglutely Amazing - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by byron

I lived in Missouri for a year with my wife (She is from Melville, St Louis county) If there was a forecast of snow, you had better have enough in the pantry, because they would empty the shelves of all staples.

I always wondered if people were actually out of everything or if they were worried they wouldn't be able to get to the store for a week through 3 frickin inches of snow / >;

How about ammunition and components?
I designed a programmable load shedding power distribution center that I use on my RV. When I'm connected to a 30amp service it will sense loads and disconnect items to remain below 30amps. The program will cycle the heavy loads to any duty cycle you want.
I love my whole house generator and gravity fed fuel tanks.A,hhhh life is warm and good. laugh
I'm not a hoarder of ammo or components, but I have always made sure I have enough for the guns I own. Glad of that too, since even here in po dunk Wyoming, ammo and reloading components are nonexistent for most cartridges.

Back in 93/94 when I lived in Missouri it was never a issue. Just food.

LMAO!

Worse yet, with the car still running. eek
Originally Posted by coobie
I love my whole house generator and gravity fed fuel tanks.A,hhhh life is warm and good. laugh

The market for these is about to go through the roof in demand and value added to a home.

Probably, but other states in similar situations aren't running out of electricity.
Originally Posted by coobie

The market for these is about to go through the roof in demand and value added to a home.
Being a retired electric lineman I have seen first hand how weird chit gets when people have no power after 7-10 days.Told the wife 10 years ago whole house 17 kw generator and gravity fed fuel tanks and lots of AMMO.Laffin.
Originally Posted by rickt300

Sure blame Texas for the fuggin greenies in charge of the electrical grid. Vistra sucks and is run by California retards.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...ompany-vistra-is-embracing-clean-energy/

Texas has its own grid.

Few would die, mostly they would just lay waste to the available resources and infrastructure.
Originally Posted by rong

Well Duh,,
How else do they get fresh air to breathe.......

Sure hope ole Hiden Biden takes a ride on its maiden voyage!
The democrats all used fraud to win the election. The used the vote swapping voter machines, count machines which swapped voters, mail in voting, ballot harvesting, illegals voting, and dead people voting. We will take our government back very soon from these communist [bleep]. They will take our guns and all fossil fuels. Then put people in FEMA camps all for control and power.

This sounds to me like that government plan is already in place and working,, SAD

norm
It would be like going to the grocery store daily, and buying just enough food for one frigging meal! I’m dumbfounded! memtb

Or owning guns and no ammo...butttt....
Lack of preparation seems to be getting more & more common and accepted. Back in the '50's & 60's it seems like my parents and most folks I knew all had emergency stuff put away like food, water, lights & batteries, toilet paper, etc.. Nobody I knew had a generator back then but they weren't real common in those days. We could get blizzards, or ice storms and the media didn't act like it was the end of the world. These things happen every once in a while; get used to it. Longest I recall some folks being without power was a couple weeks in the big ice storm we had March 4th, 1991 and they all survived O.K. , and early March is still winter around here.. Some folks are gonna learn some lessons about preparedness from this and there's always some folks who NEVER learn from experience.
75 dollar kerosun heater and 20 gallons of kerosene would have saved a lot of grief.
I read somewhere that Texas power companies have taken several generators of line for maintenance and this unexpected and unusual weather has increased demand beyond capacity. The grid can only do so much if you overload it other problems occur.

Sounds like a bad time to be in some portions of Texas right now especially if you're at the wrong end of the grid where supply is limited .
Originally Posted by rem141r
75 dollar kerosun heater and 20 gallons of kerosene would have saved a lot of grief.

10-4
I was without power for 18 days after the big fire ripped through here last summer....
A generator, backup fuel and basic necessary items made it nothing more than a minor inconvenience, granted it wasn't winter but I also had several cords of wood and a nice woodstove if it were.
© 24hourcampfire