Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
A friend of my brothers called him worried about a power outage with the cold weather. His biggest concern was the food in the fridge going bad with no electricity.... you can’t make this stuff up...

I wonder if he's ever locked the keys in his convertible with the top down?????

I heard submarines have screen doors. Is this true?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
Hard to make electricity when the windmills are frozen. The fact that Texas can't produce enough electricity to heat homes is inexcusable.

There’s been massive growth in the number of homes in the past decade. One might guess that energy use there now with everyone pretty much at home that they’re seeing the peak usage being redefined to the present.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
A friend of my brothers called him worried about a power outage with the cold weather. His biggest concern was the food in the fridge going bad with no electricity.... you can’t make this stuff up...

I wonder if he's ever locked the keys in his convertible with the top down?????

I heard submarines have screen doors. Is this true?

The new SS Biden will have em.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If it's that cold and the power is out, put your perishables in a cooler and set it outside. Better yet, keep the damn freezer door shut and use up the perishables first.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Hard to make electricity when the windmills are frozen. The fact that Texas can't produce enough electricity to heat homes is inexcusable.

There’s been massive growth in the number of homes in the past decade. One might guess that energy use there now with everyone pretty much at home that they’re seeing the peak usage being redefined to the present.

Does the power demand increase when the temp drops and people heat their homes as opposed to when the temp rises and people must cool their homes?

One would think that hot summer power usage would exceed cold weather usage as not to many people have wood, propane, fuel oil, NG powered air conditioners.

Last edited by steve4102; 02/16/21.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You wouldn't believe how many city people who live in apartments and condos only have food on hand for a couple meals. Many of them eat out at least once a day. They have no storage for food.
Yup - and they ain't gonna be burnin' wood any time soon either...

For power outages, having a portable generator on hand can be a lifesaver..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by steve4102

Does the power demand increase when the temp drops and people heat their homes as opposed to when the temp rises and people must cool their homes?

Many newer homes have “clean electric heat “ and I’d guess that everyone pretty much being at home right now has increased to demand substantially plus the ice on the power lines thing.

Just guessing, Steve.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The power generation capacity in TX during the summer is far higher than in the winter. I'm not exactly sure why but suspect it has to do with nat gas supplies.

http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/real_time_system_conditions.html

Last edited by Whiptail; 02/16/21.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

One would think that hot summer power usage would exceed cold weather usage as not to many people have wood, propane, fuel oil, NG powered air conditioners.

Excellent point!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
You wouldn't believe how many city people who live in apartments and condos only have food on hand for a couple meals. Many of them eat out at least once a day. They have no storage for food.
Yup - and they ain't gonna be burnin' wood any time soon either...

For power outages, having a portable generator on hand can be a lifesaver..

My 2 portable generators are on loan right now.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder how many of those people have lots of ammunition and/or components, but no generator or alternate heat source.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Makes me think of Seinfeld and the entirety of Manhattan.

They lived at that coffee shop.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The problem right now isn't iced over equipment, or
bad power lines, etc.
The power is being turned on and off at the direction
of the ERCOT beaurecrats according to their poor
game plan.
We've had fantastic electrical generation plants
that have been closed up by other beaurecrats.
Some in this area have said I was FOS, and the
lines were the problem, and to stop blaming the
linemen. It's not the linemen. I've had power out
from down lines and when it's restored, it's not
switched back on by the clock on the dot at the
hour. This outage goes on and off at precise
timed intervals by the clock. By their words,
supposed to be 1 hour out, but more like 6

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
These incidents should teach people that they need to become at least somewhat self sufficient, unfortunately the message a majority of them take away from it is that we need to make the Government even bigger to do a better job of taking care of us if it happens again. You can’t convince these people that the government can’t protect you. Sheep.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont have a fireplace so if the letric goes out, I'm up the creek without a paddle.....after the gas natural goes off (in 61 years it's never shutdown but there is always a first time), and after we've used up 45 gal of propane running 2 large heaters, and after we've used up 20 gal of gasoline running a generator for a small electric heater.

If I got to cut firewood, a whole passel of folks are in worse trouble than me.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No 2hr. school delay back in the day, I got up early enough to shovel the family property with 2 car garage but hiked two blocks down the street and shoveled a place that had a 6 car garage. Then back home in time to walk 1/2 mi. to school, no school busses. H ell I walked to elementary school, HS and even sometimes 2-3 mi. to college.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We're pretty well stocked up on firewood, food, water and we have a back up generator. It's surprising to me how many folks in Alaska are not prepared for emergency situations.

By the time I'm done cutting logs on a couple of 10 acre lots this winter, opening up some views for the landowner, I'll have enough saw logs to keep the mill running all year and I'll be 2 1/2 to 3 years ahead on firewood. And that doesn't include the slabs that are a by product of the mill.

I see folks buying those little bundles of firewood at the grocery store and gas stations and just wish they'd come by the mill. I'd load all the slabs they want for free. Of course most of them don't own anything they could use to reduce the slab to firewood. It's hard to give the slabs away. I have one guy who will come get a trailer load occasionally but most people don't want to work that hard.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dess
If it's that cold and the power is out, put your perishables in a cooler and set it outside. Better yet, keep the damn freezer door shut and use up the perishables first.

This is called common sense, it’s not so common anymore.
What would happen if we had a real disaster like major earthquake, asteroid strike or a city getting dirty b ombed?
Folks would have a meltdown.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aw hell, this aint nothin. When I was a little chap, I had to walk 2 miles to and from school every day. Rain, sleet, snow meant nothing, and it was uphill both ways.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Natural selection is a thing.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.