Home
It’s a pre ‘64 Winchester made in 1972. Back when they made them right. How do you even reply to that?
Did pick up some jerky, a dream catcher, a Chinese made knife and sampled 6 different kinds of pickles though.
Look straight into his eyes and laugh.
When he gets pissed off, you can explain to his companions why their friend is an idiot.
A gunshow isn’t complete until you hear someone hit the taser.
This will be a fun read

Hank
"It's once fired." ........ <LOL>
The funny part is many have bought them and shoot tiny bug hole groups with factory ammo and never heard him say pre.
It's a pre 2064 model, duh. wink laugh
jack mtn,so you were in harrisonburg?
Dude with the gas station knives for sale.

Yup, made that Damascus myself.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
"I've got X$ in it."
i remember the first gunshow i went to about 25 or more years ago, i had a win 92 i was selling and a guy asked me "what ya got on it?" i said, "uhhh, remoil?". i had no idea he wanted to know the price. he probably laughed about that to his buddies.
I love gunshows but gotta admit they are full of oldsters on scooters that reek of BO and halitosis.
I haven't been to a gun show in probably 15 years and I don't miss it a bit. Between bullshit pricing, lowballers, and groups of gossiping [bleep] blocking every aisle and table, they hold no attraction for me.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
It’s a pre ‘64 Winchester made in 1972. Back when they made them right. How do you even reply to that?
Did pick up some jerky, a dream catcher, a Chinese made knife and sampled 6 different kinds of pickles though.

What color dream catcher?
What about the Rust? That's not rust it patena!
Among the gazillion differences you could play on him.

The best one in that scenario would be IMO.
What gen and material cartridge elevator does it have in it?

Then walk away and social butterfly the B.S. story to others looking at 94,s and tell sellers of em also.

Word spreads fast on the floor.

Others even wanta go play stump the dummy/ dickhead too.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I haven't been to a gun show in probably 15 years and I don't miss it a bit. Between bullshit pricing, lowballers, and groups of gossiping [bleep] blocking every aisle and table, they hold no attraction for me.

I agree, I see a gun show as a waste of time.
"Well, we don’t know what it is, but we think your asking too much!"
Originally Posted by saddlering

The lore of patina.......
JFC.....
aged and hardened rust and grime.......

Whoever started the attached valuation of " patina" however many decades or hundreds of yrs ago in relation to firearms.

Needs a swift kick in the nuts from someone with a time machine.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I love gunshows but gotta admit they are full of oldsters on scooters that reek of BO and halitosis.

don't forget the flatulence and bathroom horrors. i started taking my boys when they were about head high to a grown mans ass. they took a beating. we used to laugh about running into the "wall of stink".
“Oh my God, it’s Flave!”
There is absolutely nothing that would arouse my curiosity at a gunshow anymore. There is very little at the LGS that does either.

Now that I think about it. I feel about the same way for both.
Posted By: AML Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
There is absolutely nothing that would arouse my curiosity at a gunshow anymore. There is very little at the LGS that does either.

My local gun shops are walls of savages and ruger Americans, most in 6.5 Creedmoor. And a little ammo. Not much to see anymore. Gun shows are full of military junk. Haven't been to a gun show in over 15 years.

Yup.
I am baffled by the number of people waiting in the ticket line, guns with closed actions in hand.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Word spreads fast on the floor.

Sig line material right here.

😹
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yup.

You go for the children.
Originally Posted by kingston

Yup.

You go for the children.

You cant buy or sell them anymore.
Posted By: tzone Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
I won't hear anything at a gun show. They're a waste of my time.
Originally Posted by kingston

Yup.

You go for the children.

You cant buy or sell them anymore.

Of course you can still buy and sell children... if you know the right people.
The last gun show I was at a guy had a Marlin 1895 .410 for a decent price. I didn’t need it and it’s kind of a dumb gun but I was going to buy it. I asked to see it and he handed it to me. Just like I do everytime someone hands me a firearm I opened the action to make sure it was empty. The guy lost it because it was new. Long story short I told him he was a dipshít and handed the gun back to him... after I cycled it again 😂
Been to two.

Nevermore.
I like going to gunshows, just to see what's there and what all I dont need. Only thing I ever bought at a gun show, was a box of .22 ammo. I call it cheap entertainment!
Originally Posted by AML

My local gun shops are walls of savages and ruger Americans, most in 6.5 Creedmoor. And a little ammo. Not much to see anymore. Gun shows are full of military junk. Haven't been to a gun show in over 15 years.

Don't forget the broads selling scentsy and purses.
And then there are the "AR gunsmiths" with names like "Raging Fury LLC" who have tables of ARs built out of Chinese schitt with $1,200 price tags.
In the late 70's and early 80's I was involved in having tables at a lot of gun shows. It was fun back then as it was a small community of people that work with each other and we would trade guns back and forth just to mix the tables up a little bit. Things got kind of scary when the wonder 9's came out because we were suddenly inundated with visitors from south of the border who barely spoke english and rolls of $100 bills. If you have a 9 on your table they would come up and point at it with that roll of bills in their hand and start peeling bills off until you said yes. We got to the point where if they came in the door everybody would remove their 9's until they left.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I am in good company with Kaywoodie and Conrad.

.....With idiots like that I give them an equal amount of ridiculous B.S. in return. Just tell them: " That I'd rather have a post '64 Winchester due to the engineering improvements in newer models and the fact that the older pre '64's are now harder to find parts for, and the older parts are more prone to wear out sooner, thus diminishing the value of pre 64's versus post 64's.."....... I can play B,S. artist, too.
I have never attended one, never heard a good thing about them. But when I worked in a local gun shop while finishing college....those were big saturdays for us. Folks would attend the shows and then hit us afterwards.
Originally Posted by Torqued
Originally Posted by AML

Don't forget the broads selling scentsy and purses.

Don't forget the Uber Wok demonstrations every 30 minutes in the back corner booth by the guy with the loud PA system and the cordless mic strapped to his skull.
Things you hear at a gunshow

The voice in my head saying "What a waste of my time...."
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Or "Never been fired" revolver.

Until you open the cylinder and look at the breach face, under the ejector rod or around the forcing cone.
I was always seeing Hermann Goerings PPK at the Fort Worth gunshow crazy
I always knew when one had been close by, because Monday morning some aspiring cowboy actIon shooter would come in with a completely wore out 1897 Win pump gun randomed into 3 separate 1 gallon zip lock freezer bags needing someone to re-assemble it for him.
"My uncle brought this carbine back from Korea". No, the Blue Sky import mark on the barrel says they brought it back from somewhere.
Would rather watch Antiques Roadshow.
Originally Posted by saddlering

The lore of patina.......
JFC.....
aged and hardened rust and grime.......

Whoever started the attached valuation of " patina" however many decades or hundreds of yrs ago in relation to firearms.

Needs a swift kick in the nuts from someone with a time machine.

Your lucky day !
Just happens I have a once used time machine with a touch of patina on the door handle . Works great !
What’s it worth to you ?
Kenneth

Isn't that what a gunshow is??
BOOM.

Baton Rouge Centroplex gun show circa 1989. Talk about some discombobulating going on.

Shot a.30 caliber hole through the ceiling and into the Hall above. The rifle on a vendor’s table had a round in it. He was banned forever from future shows supposedly.
When I walk in, I always hear the same thing.

"Who IS that magnificent bastard?"
Originally Posted by smokepole
When I walk in, I always hear the same thing.

"Who IS that bastard?"

Grins
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
BOOM.

Baton Rouge Centroplex gun show circa 1989. Talk about some discombobulating going on.

Shot a.30 caliber hole through the ceiling and into the Hall above. The rifle on a vendor’s table had a round in it. He was banned forever from future shows supposedly.

That's the pucker factor in going to a gunshow - you just might have a close call. Cheap thrills....

Saw the very same counterfeit Snider & Glasseck ( and a very poor counterfeit one at that) confederate revolver on antique road show that had been in the shop (with 3 different owners in as many weeks) about 25 years earlier. Mentioned to the wife that it had sure made the rounds.

Undeniably the same damn gun! I remembered the way they had stamped the modern block lettering on it!

Hell yeah!
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Yes, but you are not supposed to get drunk at a gun show and guess the prices of the items.

Well...you could I guess.

Saw the very same counterfeit Snider & Glasseck ( and a very poor counterfeit one at that) confederate revolver on antique road show that had been in the shop (with 3 different owners in as many weeks) about 25 years earlier. Mentioned to the wife that it had sure made the rounds.

Undeniably the same damn gun! I remembered the way they had stamped the modern block lettering on it!

Did the seller leave happy?
I've been to the Tulsa show

Cool place to see

Yes, but you are not supposed to get drunk at a gun show and guess the prices of the items.

This might actually make most gun shows bearable.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by killerv
I have never attended one, never heard a good thing about them. But when I worked in a local gun shop while finishing college....those were big saturdays for us. Folks would attend the shows and then hit us afterwards.

I worked at the LGS for years and Gun Show weekends were the best for us, cause our stuff was priced way better than the show.

However, I learned quickly to not budge on a price for a gun show guy. Had a number of them say point blank " well I can't make any money at THAT price..."

Answer: " You ain't gonna believe this, but we aren't here to make YOU money...."

My other favorite heard frequently was " Whats the 'good guy' price on this?"

Answer: " I'm not a good guy...."

I still hate gun show guys...
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Or "Never been fired" revolver.

Until you open the cylinder and look at the breach face, under the ejector rod or around the forcing cone.

Not so much at gun shows but apparently the current fad on gunbroker is to describe something as "doesn't look like it's been fired much". Gee, no [bleep], I can clean up a firearm real good so it doesn't look like it's been fired much, too.

Gunshows definitely ain't what they used to be when any T, D and H could get an FFL and didn't need to support a brick and mortar store. Used to be a fellow that would come down to Boise from someplace in Washington and would have 5 end tables loaded with every brand and kind of NIB handgun you could imagine. He kept them under plastic sheets to keep the looky-loos from fingerprinting them but you could examine them if you asked. He had excellent prices, well under any retail store in the area.

Still go to shows occasionally, partly out of something to do and partly 'cause you never know...

Last show here in February I found a nice Remington 121 from 1939 in better shape than most of them for sale on gunbroker. Got to examine it thoroughly before buying so I wasn't dependent on some half ass photographer's images of his socks next to his firearm lying on the floor, then got to haggle an agreeable price and didn't have to add shipping plus FFL fee plus waiting and hoping some shipping company didn't destroy it.

Also got a Smith Model 35-1 at that same show in very good to excellent shape, something I'd had my eye out for on gunbroker for a while. Also got it for a reasonable price, a good bit under what most all of them are selling for on GB, and again with no shipping or FFL fee or waiting.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

This might actually make most gun shows bearable.

It was a favorite drinking game back in the day.

Tune into a little AR....get drunk and everybody gets a guess.

Loser buys.
Posted By: efw Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Like Joe Biden
New in Box
Rare
(No box)
Nice sign on table saying,
“Price according to attitude”
If gun shows did not exist they would have to be invented so that folks would have a venue to wear the t-shirts that are too f-ing stupid to wear anywhere else.
How much you gotta have for it ?
Originally Posted by RufusG
If gun shows did not exist they would have to be invented so that folks would have a venue to wear the t-shirts that are too f-ing stupid to wear anywhere else.

Don’t forget the pasty, white, 350 lbs, 5’4” dudes all decked out in their SWAT garb walking around with “that look “.
Used to go to a couple small town shows in the winter just for something to do and from time to time I'd find a gem. Haven't been to one for a couple of years now though, some of them turned into tables and tables of cheap china junk accessories and the guys harassing you to buy their crap.
Years ago there was a guy that used to have quite a display of handguns at one of the shows around here.

Rumor was that he was quite wealthy and just traveled to gun shows as a hobby.

One year he had a Thompson sub on display, don’t know if it was a replica or not, with a BIG Sign saying DO NOT TOUCH.

Some guy didn’t think the sign applied to him, so he picked it up, then handed it to his son who was about 10-12 and the little guy dropped it on the concrete floor.

Never saw that seller at the gun shows ever again.

Guess he figured out that MN Liberals are to f*cken stupid to read, so it might be wise not to sell them any firearms.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
I like going to small town gun shows.I find more deals at them.I used to have tables at 8 or 10 gun shows in the UP and Northern Wi. when I was making knives.Used to take a cot and sleep right in the gun show by my tables.Met a lot of interesting people at them.Most of the good trading and selling and buying goes on before or after the show.
I had a rifle from a few decades back, bought it used.
Explained that and the dumbfugs asked about " round count ".

Well its a bolt action, but before that it was a belt feed so...
Shrills, giggles,oooos and ahhhhhhhs of people marveling at the fat gun guy’s wife who also has her own enterprise of selling sugar gliders.

As a bonus, you might catch their 30 year old son wandering around with a 1/2 grown raccoon on his shoulder, with poodle leash.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don’t forget the pasty, white, 350 lbs, 5’4” dudes all decked out in their SWAT garb walking around with “that look “.

Thousand yard stare....looking for that next donut and thinking about all the donuts he's ate in the past
Originally Posted by hookeye
I had a rifle from a few decades back, bought it used.
Explained that and the dumbfugs asked about " round count ".

Well its a bolt action, but before that it was a belt feed so...

Based on looking at it , gotta be under 500 rounds
Or the guys whose wife or daughter is a "west virginia 6" wearing very revealing clothes and acting like she knows anything about guns.

Elmer standing around pretending to look at a gun but hoping a titty pops out...

Shudder.
I will attend the next local show because a few decent guys show up and touching base w that network can be useful.

Im on the hunt for a rifle or two, older, nothing special but not common. Maybe one of the good guys knows where one is.
Went to a GS with nice 1953 Savage 99, 300 Savage.......... Want to sell it? YEs!,,What you asking? $600. That's way high!!! looking at his stuff I said, then I have come to the right table!!!!! He was not amused.

At a local Flea market, guy had a 99 that seriously looked like he had drug it there behind the truck, there was a gap between stock and tang you could put TWO quarters in side by side.... What you want I asked? $900 was the reply! I laughed out loud, belly laugh.....

I said I'll give you a hundred for the parts. He cussed me for 3 minutes.....

One of my favorites are the CALVARY Carbines..................... I usually tell them I don't think that's really that old!!!! They look at me puzzled.
Originally Posted by Muffin

At a local Flea market, guy had a 99 that seriously looked like he had drug it there behind the truck, there was a gap between stock and tang you could put TWO quarters in side by side.... What you want I asked? $900 was the reply! I laughed out loud, belly laugh.....

I said I'll give you a hundred for the parts. He cussed me for 3 minutes.....

I can top that: about 20 years ago at the local outdoor flea market a guy had a few crapped-out lever-actions mounted on barn lumber he was selling as $700 'wall-hangers'. They were deteriorated to the point that they would possibly make gate-hangers at a ranch entrance.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I've been to the Tulsa show

Cool place to see

I went when it was still a small show, only 2500 tables! The lower portion was closed. What a show! A buddy that lived in Tulsa and I started Saturday morning and left when they closed the doors. Sunday afternoon they were packing up before we made it to all 2500 tables!

I would go back in a heartbeat! Local 180 table show is more of a social event where you get to see friends that you may only see once a year!
Posted By: 700LH Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
Got it used reselling it,
It's been fired less than a box.
Most oft uttered phrase at ANY gun show:

HUH?
I love gun shows but alot of the comments above apply, especially "most of the goods deals happen between dealers before and after the show". When I was helping my FFL at shows we did real good that way. You'd be surprised what you can buy at closing time that they don't want to pack up and take home. The best are the old guys that are done shooting and are liquidating their inventory of reloading supplies and gun baubles. You never know when those guys are going to be there so you gotta go.

I usually take a firearm as a conversation starter, maybe one I would trade or sell if the deal was right. As a gag I took a Savage MHG once, which stands for Montreal Home Guard. Told all the dealers I was looking to pick up the bayonet for it. 800 rifles made and even less bayonets, and most of those got ground into Rambo knives after WWI, so basically unobtainium. Believe it or not this knife dealer says, "Yeah, I got one of those at home I'd sell ya for 500 bucks." They normally sell for $3500 when you see them. I about schit myself. He called the next day,"Uh, I guess I must have traded that off, I don't see it anywhere".

Yeah right, more like, " I got on the innerweb and realized what a dumbschit I am and decided not to sell it".

Anyhow, it's all fun and games if you keep the right frame of mind. If you love guns it's like rolling in cheerleaders coated in oil. Well, almost. At least it's not working.
Originally Posted by auk1124
And then there are the "AR gunsmiths" with names like "Raging Fury LLC" who have tables of ARs built out of Chinese schitt with $1,200 price tags.

The last time I went to a gun show, maybe 15 years ago, one of those guys told me there were 62 manufacturers of AR15s in the USA.
I can’t imagine the prices they are asking for their junk now a days.
Yeah i got this red ryder bb gun once owned by sitting bull...he left it out in the rain for 180 years...but i got 500 in it so ima gonna hafta have 799 for it...
Well I'm glad most of you guys hate and don't go to gunshows. I don't like big crowds to move thru when people count is low I can move thru a show at a faster pace noting and assessing things I'm interested in.low crowd numbers more tractable dealing. A guy who rents a table to clear out his extra guns and stuff can be rewarding to deal with especially so if he brings his ODC wife with him who his pushing him to sell that junk so she can spend the cash on rubber dog sh*t from wallyworld. You get to see people you have known for years as a social thing of course these gunshows are mostly small town shows. And last but not least you occasionally score a really nice piece for your own use from non dealer types without all the fugging baggage. I am glad all you smart guys don't go to gunshows. Mb

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
There you go - the value of everything increases by leaps and bounds each time it is sold.
Components and ammo are through the roof. Going price for .223 ammo was $1.25 to $1.50 per round. People wanting $300 for one brick of primers.

However, I was a bit amazed at some of the prices on S&W revolvers and older long guns at the last one. Not bargain basement deals but one or two hundred under the least I would have expected. I've noticed sales of various handguns have slowed down in the local classifieds - people can't buy ammo so they aren't buying guns. There is a small show this weekend about 40 miles away that's usually pretty good. Only about 100 tables but no junk knife or jewelry dealers. Also another of the 400 table shows in early March. Going to go to both of those and see what's cooking.
If you know who to deal with the Best Buy’s are at the gunshows.
Attended one about 10 years back. Time could have been better spent watching the chrome on my trailer hitch rust.
The internet is the new gun show. Deals to be found if you are vigilant.
Only gun show I goto anymore is SHOT show.
Worked for a guy that did gunshows for several years. He would usually have 35-40 tables. Very often, somebody at the far end,40 yds away, would pick up a rifle, and motion me to come down. When I would get there, they would be holding a rifle ,like a Win. 94,rem 722,etc, and then state," I used to have one of these long time ago' . Then walk off.
Then there was the same guy that came to almost every show we did, would pick up every shotgun on the table, shoulder it, and make the boom sound and even imitated the recoil ! I would approach him and say,'kicks kinda hard, dont it ! ' We called him 'pointer '. Never bought anything. Boss finally told him to not handle the guns.
Then there was other stuff! fun times, sometimes.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
It was a favorite drinking game back in the day.

Tune into a little AR....get drunk and everybody gets a guess.

Loser buys.

We still do occasionally grin "This weeks word - patina!"

Its hard to do the proper edicate, and not point at someone.
A few years ago a guy had a nice Winchester 71 Deluxe, priced about 3x market. I looked at the guy, didn’t say a word. He just smiled and said “I don’t want to sell it.”

Brilliant.

Did the seller leave happy?

None of the individuals I dealt with were happy! 🤣

I believe it was a live and learn moment for the TV person!
I waited on these two guys at the shop one day.

One of them asked to see that “Dillinger” there on the shelf. So I handed him the one he pointed at. He slobbered and oggled it. And said to his bud, “I always wanted one of these Dillinger!" His but retorted “you know that’s Derringer and not Dillinger!" To which the oggler replied “yeah, I know. But I like calling them Dillingers!"
Did the appraiser catch it as a fake?

I watch Antiques Roadshow from time to time and one of the firearms appraisers (don't know his name but he has a bit of southern accent) seems to be pretty sharp especially on civil war era guns, sabres, etc, but therd is another one sometimes that I am doubtful about.

drover
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Yeah. $9 for that is tough to swallow. At least yard sales are free which is basically what it was.
"Previously owned by John Wayne"
Posted By: OGB Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
I remember when guns shows had guns. Now they seem like a junk shop swap meets, at least in my area.

I go on occasion because there are still some hidden gems but they are getting more rare.

Best line I heard was while checking out a fairly nice pre-cross bolt Marlin. Guy behind the table proudly declared it a pre-64. Kid you not.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
The internet is the new gun show. Deals to be found if you are vigilant.

Yep, I haven’t been to a gun show in several years since I can find exactly what I’m looking for new or used over the internet.

I haven’t been to one in a number of years but I like gun shows for what they are a chance to look at some guns sift through the tables and that and go out for lunch after.
People would occasionally make smart ass comments to shrapnel in regards to his convo starters/displays that were not for sale.

He would just say "I'm sorry, I thought this was a gun show."

LOL
Posted By: bcp Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
A poor day at a gun show is better than a good day at work.

Bruce

you've never been to a Nascar race have you
Originally Posted by efw

Like Joe Biden

He likes that "new child" smell.
Originally Posted by bcp
A poor day at a gun show is better than a good day at work.

Bruce

True dat!
Posted By: WMR Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
Sample 6 kinds of pickles? Where do I sign up?

Things I've heard: Him:"$600 is too much, I can buy these any day for $350"
Me: "I'll buy all you can find for $450, we should partner up"
Him: Blank stare, walks away.

Actually, I must be the exception. I love gun shows. My buds and I go to a few a year and rent a table or two. Sell or trade stuff we don't need and buy different stuff we don't need.
We typically only go to a few of the small ones that we know are frequented by other hobbyists. Some of the old guys I meet know a lot of stuff. Lots of characters for sure. I
met Michigan Roadkill at Holland, MI, and one of his knives is now among my favorites. I almost always find something to buy or barter for. Some of my favorite days. Still looking for the
"Loophole". I figure if I find that, I'll be way ahead. Really, 6 kinds of pickles would get my attention.
I was always seeing Hermann Goerings PPK at the Fort Worth gunshow crazy

.. It's amazing the number of older German handguns floating around that were once owned by high ranking Nazi's. And they all seem to show up at gun shows.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I ain't wearin' no t-shirt when I go to da races....
Originally Posted by deflave
People would occasionally make smart ass comments to shrapnel in regards to his convo starters/displays that were not for sale.

He would just say "I'm sorry, I thought this was a gun show."

LOL

Yeah! I remember the old shows with good displays of all kinds of awesome guns. I remember one TGCA show, Mr. Weisner (sic) had his collection of Christian Hawken rifles on display! About a dozen of the old mans guns!!! That was cool!!!
i was at one once. the guy at the table...and ecclectic guy with a long tobacco stained beard, white t shirt and ruler suspenders holding up faded camo BDUs. had a"cased double gun on the table with a sign proclaiming." last Parker ever built at Winchester" gii asked him if it was all original. he said yep, never fired. it was ordered by Clark Gable, but never picked up I oogled over it and took out my checkbook. then I asked him. "so this is really the last Parker to leave the Newhaven Wincheste factory. big..proud "YUUPP, wont see another one of these ever" i stood straight, looked at him and smiled. said your right cause Winchester never bult a Parker, they contracted with a company in Japan to have reproductions made, and they sure as hell werent building them when Clark Gable was alive. he put the gun away and hid behind his curtain
Posted By: RAS Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
I once brought in a 1947 M70 in 250-3000 to a gun show and played dumb. I said it was my grandpas gun and I was looking to trade it for a Turkey shotgun.

That was a funny day.
Posted By: las Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by bruinruin

I agree, I see a gun show as a waste of time.

My last was '79 in Denver. You would think with that population base there would be something worth looking at. All of it was way overpriced as well. Screw that sheiss.
I've only been to a handful of gun shows, and while there were some deals to be had, it generally seemed to be a collection of various stereotypes. My favorite was the morbidly obese guy with Cheetos dust on his stained T-shirt, walking around with an AR on his shoulder at the gunshow I went to in the southern Salt Lake valley. Got some supposedly once-fired 38 nickel-plated brass for a good deal.

The last one I went to was in Helena about 5 years ago. Got some primers at a good deal, and some early run Hornady ELD-X seconds for $20 a box. It was worth the admission, anyway.
Like ta hit the Knob Creek Ky event .
They cancelled the april and oct ones last yr due to C19 bullschitt.

Google fu now....
Originally Posted by 16bore
A gunshow isn’t complete until you hear someone hit the taser.

I sometime wish the guy selling them would accidentally taze-himself.
The guys who set them off just to get attention..
April one is cancelled.
Oct one is a go for now.

Fugging gun shows probably wont exist by oct if Joe and da Ho can get their way.....
Back in the 80s there was a guy selling WW2 junk along the back wall at AgHall shows in Allentown PA who had a piece of rope complete with a letter of authenticity from Sargent Joe Bagadonuts (the supposed hangman) that it was from the actual rope that was used to hang Hermann Goering after the Nuremberg trials. He was trying to get a lot of $$ for it.

Funny thing... old Hermann killed himself in his cell before the sentence could be carried out.
"Where are all the hot girls?"
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I ain't wearin' no t-shirt when I go to da races....

that' is sort fo the same
Osprey Internatinal Tactical Scopes 12 table spread....

These are what the special forces use....

Snipah scopes.....
Those sketchy raffles too.

Not the legit VFW raffles. I like those.
Originally Posted by steve4102
Years ago there was a guy that used to have quite a display of handguns at one of the shows around here.

Rumor was that he was quite wealthy and just traveled to gun shows as a hobby.

One year he had a Thompson sub on display, don’t know if it was a replica or not, with a BIG Sign saying DO NOT TOUCH.

Some guy didn’t think the sign applied to him, so he picked it up, then handed it to his son who was about 10-12 and the little guy dropped it on the concrete floor.

Never saw that seller at the gun shows ever again.

Guess he figured out that MN Liberals are to f*cken stupid to read, so it might be wise not to sell them any firearms.

He should have beat the father over the head with it.

I'm with ya there. Gun shows irritate.
Originally Posted by OGB
I remember when guns shows had guns. Now they seem like a junk shop swap meets, at least in my area.

I go on occasion because there are still some hidden gems but they are getting more rare.

Best line I heard was while checking out a fairly nice pre-cross bolt Marlin. Guy behind the table proudly declared it a pre-64. Kid you not.

I have seen that a few times.
Frighing rubes selling rifles....
I've went to gunshows before and carried around a couple of guns I wanted to get rid of. If I needed to hit the head, my wife would stand outside and hold the firearms. No telling how many geezers would come up to her, thinking she was a divorcee or had kicked her old man out with a pc and was disposing of his guns...trying to lowball her.

Then there are all the guys who come up to your table and hand their bag of cheetos to their buddy so they can freaking handle your $3000 SAA...right after they had salt all over their hands. If I'm setting up at a show I always keep a microfiber towel and some RemOil around in case I don't catch one before they pick something up. No wonder there is so much "patina" on guns.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/23/21
For certain it has been many years since I have gone to any of those big gun shows put on by the guys who do that for a living ("Crossroads of the West", etc.) but I always have enjoyed the small local gun club sponsored shows up in Reserve, NM, Silver City, NM and over in Springerville and Show Low. AZ. Lot of good used firearms at decent prices and guys willing to trade stuff, and plenty of local color.

A few years back I decided it was time to sell quite a number of rifles - I thought them to be nice - so I got a table at the nearest show as sponsored by a local shooter's club in Reserve, NM. First time experience for me. It was fun, and i had constant traffic because I was not the usual every-show vendor and most folks there had figured out I was selling only things I had owned and used for years. I sold every rifle and piece of reloading equipment taken to the show except a Win 1970s Alaskan in .375 H&H. Minimal haggling and maybe I priced them a bit too low. I do think folks like to purchase firearms from folks who know and have used/taken care of the guns.

I next went to the show in Springerville, AZ and sold some more - including the .375 H&H to a guy who "had to have it" - partly because it came with reloading dies, 40 good cases and two boxes of factory ammo. I saw him again later - he had gone to Kodiak and shot the Brown Bear I never had because my dear brother died before I could get back up there to his place.

I would go to some more small, local shows if the opp presented itself.
Originally Posted by OGB

I'm constantly shocked at the lack of simple knowledge of some of the "gun peddlers". There's a crappy little LGS between home and work that I occasionally pop into "just in case". He had an 94 mauser (cock on closing) that was labled "98" mauser. I told him, discreetly, it wasn't a 98 and he just looked at me like I was stupid.
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by OGB

I'm constantly shocked at the lack of simple knowledge of some of the "gun peddlers". There's a crappy little LGS between home and work that I occasionally pop into "just in case". He had an 94 mauser (cock on closing) that was labled "98" mauser. I told him, discreetly, it wasn't a 98 and he just looked at me like I was stupid.

You cant tell tackleberry gun pro,s anything.
Espeically at a local LGS.

Im kinda interested in the Glock G17 gen5,s
Done alotta google fu on em
Have handled a few.
Like the feel of the new designed trigger on em
DLC finish on the slide, Big plus in my eyes

Regular rifled barrel instead of the polygonal, supposed to be more accurate.

Had a 21 yr old friends and family hiring plan pro telling me they are exactly like previous gen glocks mechanically and design.

Told my bud the owner his employee needs ta spend some time
educating himself via smart phone on products in his spare time.

It was a glock blue label gun.
492 otd.
Like a fool I went back a week later.
Gone......

Oh well........
Had a Gen 3 19 for years. When the Gen 4 came out I wasn't impressed enough to upgrade. Gen 5s however are meaningfully better, in my opinion. Had 2 until that darned boating accident!
The 19 gen 5 are nice also.
Kinda like feel of the bigger 17,s grip.
More purchase on it for my hand size.
I'm with you. Mine were a 17 and a 45. Had the 17 milled for a red dot. I can see across the room fine but my arms have gotten too short for me to read! Pistol sights all appear to be covered in dryer lint these days.

Before the accident.
I used to hit the ones in up-state N.Y. alot in the 80's-90's picked up some good things,saw alot and learned alot from some very knowledgeable older guys,went to dinner with a couple of them and their wives with my girlfriend and had a really good time.But the shows changed,alot of flea market junk,beef jerky,hot sauces,etc. Bunch of guys selling that were liars,i picked up a 12,ga. Remington 1100 w slug barrel ,with permission, off the guys table,looked clean,he said he d fired it,it was very accurate with slugs..i asked,with permission,to take off the barrel,barrel was on super tight..i put my bandana on the floor,put the butt on bandana,pushed HARD on the barrel and undid magazine cap.pulled barrel.there was no gas system parts,no rings,no rubber o ring.just the sticker with arrow.i asked him how it could function with no gas system,he said it shot fine.he wanted $380.00 for it,i told him i d give him $280.00 because i d have to order the parts.i figured we d settle on $300.00 and i d get the parts form Brownell s,nope he wouldn t budge ,so i walked away,picked up a Senaca green nylon 66 instead.
BULLSHlT and BO, people should bathe and be truthful/nice when engaged in our favorite hobby.

Yeah. $9 for that is tough to swallow. At least yard sales are free which is basically what it was.

I was setup at the front door where came in. You should have been at the roanoke show last year when the pickle guys table collapsed. Pickles went 40 yards in every direction . Yeah, wasn’t much there . It was more like a fleamarket. I do it because it’s 25 min away
Every time I leave a gun show I have two recurring thoughts. First, I think "I can't believe I keep going to these things" and second, "If I ever need to sell a dozen firearms in a hurry, I'm renting a table at a gun show". Think about it. If you want to sell your firearms at reasonable, market values, the best place to list them is where your competition is advertised or listed way above market value.
Originally Posted by OGB
Had a Gen 3 19 for years. When the Gen 4 came out I wasn't impressed enough to upgrade. Gen 5s however are meaningfully better, in my opinion. Had 2 until that darned boating accident!

I still like the gen 3 the best
Like ta hit the Knob Creek Ky event .
They cancelled the april and oct ones last yr due to C19 bullschitt.

Google fu now....

They have a wonderful little gun show in Cave City, Kentucky a few times a year. Ever been?
Originally Posted by OGB
Had 2 until that darned boating accident!

Exactly the stupid schidt you hear at a gunshow!
If you don't hear it 3 or 4 times,
It was a small show.

And every single nitwit saying it thinks he is clever.
Like he just came up with it.
Just something said tongue in cheek

It'll be alright
Originally Posted by OGB

I still like the gen 3 the best

3s were good. I like the texturing and lack of finger grooves on the 5. Think the trigger is much improved as well.
I look at the Ruger Marks, and remember when $32.50 would buy one! cry
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I look at the Ruger Marks, and remember when $32.50 would buy one! cry

If only I'd had money and foresight in my youth!

I look back at all the guns I passed on and weep.
A Ruger Single Six for 60 Bucks!
Doesn't seem like so long ago when mosins went for $30.

You could buy them buy the un-opened crate.

Should've filled my garage.
Worth remembering, when a Single Six was selling for 60 bucks, average hourly wage was probably 2 bucks an hour. Bought my first Ruger 22 auto in 1972 for $67 at Jensen's Guns in Tucson, was a lineman earning the princely sum of $3.07 an hour. That's right at 3 days pay, not much different today is it?
The NRA nearly gave away the military rifles.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

True and they nearly represented us and actually did give us away,

LOL. The pink ones catch dreams of virgins, ya know. 😉
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

LOL. The pink ones catch dreams of virgins, ya know. 😉

I bought two hydro dipped ones. One real tree and one confederate flag.
The concept of paying to enter a Gunshow,

Would you pay to enter your Local gun shop,

Would you pay to walk into Cabelas?

After I attended a Gun show here maybe a month ago,

I walked out shaking my head, I knew better but still went.

Never again.

I would like to own any caliber 1964 Winchester Model 70. I figure that maybe with that rifle, I could dispense with the pre and post crap for good.
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Never again.

Interesting POV.

Kind of like paying for logo gear, caps, shirts, etc. Years ago businesses gave them away for their advertising value. Then they learned that folks would pay for them.

Want me to advertise your stuff? Fine, here's my fee schedule.
had this go down at the recent local show. i was not there.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/02/22/monroeville-gun-show-arrests-and-seizures/

Never again.

You pay to go to the circus. Pretty much same idea.
Originally Posted by OGB

I bought my son a 19 Gen 5 last week, we haven't shot it yet. My gf bought a 44 .22 cal the week before and her daughter bought a model 48 9mm the week before that. We shot the 44 and 48 last week, loved them both. That .22 shot really really nice, it's a good fit for my gf.

Am anxious to try out that model 19 gen 5, I like the fact it holds so many rounds. I carry a Ruger 380 LCP or my M&P with crimson trace all the time but I really like the Glocks.
Originally Posted by Nollij

I would like to own any caliber 1964 Winchester Model 70. I figure that maybe with that rifle, I could dispense with the pre and post crap for good.

That has got to be the rarest of all, in fact ANY Winchester made in '64 must be worth a mint................. I have NEVER seen one advertised. Or heard of anyone owning one.
Thanks for the comments guys. Never been to a gun show and never will. Sounds like the same convention of losers you find at garage sales.
The pay to enter , one must look at that as price for entertainment.
most if not all you hear at at gun show know a days is as full of chit as a Christmas goose
Last gun show I attended (Few years ago) had some decent reloading supplies and reputable rifle builder had 5 rifles he built and brought to the show to sell. Very fair prices for what he had, just nothing I felt like paying for. Walked out with a nice Sako 06 with a nice Leupold vxIII on it. Took a bunch of haggling to come to agreement on a price, but finally walked out of there with a fair deal.
To put on a gun show, an organizer first has to find and rent a large facility which doesn't come cheaply. Then they have to rent tables and chairs if those are not included in the facility rental, and either set those up themselves or pay someone to do so, then take them down and make sure the facility is cleaned. Or they have to buy enough tables and chairs and then have those transported to the various locales, often hundreds of miles apart. They have to pay for 24 hour security typically from a Friday through Sunday. They have to buy insurance and advertising, then there is all the time spent in administering all of the aforementioned.

If they don't advertise enough and public turnout is poor then fewer vendors will rent tables for their next show. It it's administered poorly then same thing, fewer vendors rent tables for the next one. Fewer tables and/or fewer vendors means the public feels cheated so they don't come back.

Their sole sources of income to pay for all of that are table rentals and entry fees. Income from table rentals is maxed out at the number of tables available so their income is mostly determined by how many people show up.

It's not a cheap undertaking but a well run show does generate a good income. Our gun club used to put on one show each year in a large facility - the Western Idaho Fairgrounds. It was a major project and cost several thousand dollars to put on but it was well run and had a good reputation among vendors and the public so turnout was generally very good.
Originally Posted by Paul39

Never again.

Interesting POV.

Kind of like paying for logo gear, caps, shirts, etc. Years ago businesses gave them away for their advertising value. Then they learned that folks would pay for them.

Want me to advertise your stuff? Fine, here's my fee schedule.

He has a point. Kinda like paying to go to a new car autorama -you can see them for free in a dealership. But since there are 'antiques/classics' at a gunshow it's like paying to go to an antique/classic indoor car show - you're helping defray the promoters cost of building rental.
Originally Posted by ldholton

The Dallas Safari Club convention is the only 'gunshow' I attend anymore - much better class of folks and some of the finest firearms to be had. Better booze on tap, too. You can walk out of a DSC show with a fine English S/S shotgun and a booked trip to hunt Marco Polo sheep, you can't beat that.
The shows are like a fishing trip.
The Dallas Safari Club convention is the only 'gunshow' I attend anymore - much better class of folks and some of the finest firearms to be had. Better booze on tap, too. You can walk out of a DSC show with a fine English S/S shotgun and a booked trip to hunt Marco Polo sheep, you can't beat that.
I’ve been to those in the distant past. Enjoyed em’. Kinda upscale. The one’s I went to were at the Anatole Hotel.
Originally Posted by blanket
most if not all you hear at at gun show know a days is as full of chit as a Christmas goose

Uhh, yeah.

Yep.

The local shows are okay and are generally held at good venues. There are deals to be had at most of the shows.

But I haven’t been to one lately and since the latest price craze has been in force.

Uhh, yeah.

Only place you’ll hear more lies than a fishing boat is a gunshop

Uhh, yeah.

Only place you’ll hear more lies than a fishing boat is a gunshop

Deer camp too, Jack!
This one time in VA...
I have seen guys in ghillie suits walking around at gun shows, probably sweating like crazy in those things, not to mention looking foolish.
I got more into it than that. lol
I can't even get them for that.
Posted By: ckat Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/24/21
Years ago, my BIL and I were walking through a smaller show. A table on the back wall had a poster board hanging from it with [something along the lines of], “DIVORCE SALE - Don’t let the b!tch get my stuff.”

We were chuckling about the sign as we walked by when the table guy said, “Y’all check this out!” We stopped... he had a 50 BMG rifle on the table and a round in his hand. He said, “This right here is 750 grains of diplomacy!!!”

We still laugh about that one to this day...

Shows sure do bring out the characters, and the body odor.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
This one time in VA...

Easy, now....That's my territory. Can't have competing and possibly superior lies about this area....
This one time in VA...

VA has the best band camps.
Busy shows.

Jimmy sees Tommy Joe. They worked at the plant together 20 years ago.

BS’s in front of tables about crappie fishing for 20 mins instead moving to the corner.

I was at gun show back in the 90s and a guy had a table with probably 6 or 7 Mauser rifles for sale. At first glance they appeared to be Orbendorf sporters from the WWI time period. I picked one up and on closer examination they were Mauser 93s and 95s in original Orbendorf stocks (or so I think they were) and of course they priced $799 a piece. I hope nobody bought them for that price.......
If anything the 8 to 10 buck admission is worth the varied entertainment inside.

Minus the farts, halitosis, and general body oder emanating from some.

Get in conversations with some of the older guys walking around can be pretty good too.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Busy shows.

Jimmy sees Tommy Joe. They worked at the plant together 20 years ago.

BS’s in front of tables about crappie fishing for 20 mins instead moving to the corner.

All the fugging time.
Posted By: OGB Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by OGB

I bought my son a 19 Gen 5 last week, we haven't shot it yet. My gf bought a 44 .22 cal the week before and her daughter bought a model 48 9mm the week before that. We shot the 44 and 48 last week, loved them both. That .22 shot really really nice, it's a good fit for my gf.

Am anxious to try out that model 19 gen 5, I like the fact it holds so many rounds. I carry a Ruger 380 LCP or my M&P with crimson trace all the time but I really like the Glocks.

Gen 5s are fantastic. Not for nothing but I literally shoot guns to death for a living.
Originally Posted by WMR

Things I've heard: Him:"$600 is too much, I can buy these any day for $350"
Me: "I'll buy all you can find for $450, we should partner up"
Him: Blank stare, walks away.. .

Yeah, for sure.
Man in the lead with high water khakis and loafers
glasses in hand, busily sucking the earpiece.
Turns to the peanut gallery and says that ^ ^
Seen it a bunch. None of the group probably
ever killed an animal or would know what to do with
it if they did.
And like the previous posters have said, the non
knife and gun BS, the potpourri, costume jewelry,
Purses, " authentic " salsa or bbq sauce, and for
damn sure can't forget the antler handled " fire
starters " and the " miracle aluminum welding sticks "
that work with any common propane torch. . .
" just let me show you this real quick. . "
I also remember when Beanie Babies were all the rage.....
i treat the trips to the shows like a trip to a gun museum. a gun museum that smells like schit.
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by OGB

Gen 5s are fantastic. Not for nothing but I literally shoot guns to death for a living.

I got a wake up call today. I paid $625 for my son's 19 gen 5 last week, went to a different store in the same town today and they have some kind of "Blue" program with the Glocks for LEO and Military. I found out I could have bought the same 19 Gen 5 at that place for $425! I spent $200 more than I needed to and had NO IDEA. I'm going back there tomorrow I think and gonna buy myself one.
This was many years ago. I saw a guy walk up to a table and offer to sell a Delta Elite for $500. Dude buys it. In just a minute, another guy walks up to the table and asks if he has a Colt Delta Elite he’d sell. Dude says “Nope!”

In just another minute, three guys come to the table and demand to get the gun back. Dude tells them to go to hell; he bought it and it’s his. He calls for the promoter. Promoter comes back to the table with some more guys and tells these folks to get the hell out and don’t come back.

That was entertaining🙂
Gun shows now a days are just a bunch of fuctards with tables
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
“You were born in VA? Gots dam I’m sorry. “
also listened to a couple of security guards telling each other how many people they had shot and killed while on duty....they were both in uniform and grossly overweight
Originally Posted by Jericho
also listened to a couple of security guards telling each other how many people they had shot and killed while on duty....they were both in uniform and grossly overweight

Should have killed them both then walked away

“You were born in VA? Gots dam I’m sorry. “

We can’t all live in S. Florida Flave.

That’s pretty aggressive.
"It was designed for the 30-06, which is 60,000 psi, so it cannot be chambered in the 270, which is 65,000 psi."

That’s pretty aggressive.

Not really
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Trash can.

Look somebody three out a perfectly good white boy.
Posted By: bcp Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/25/21
"The .223 was designed from the .222. If you ever need a light load, you can use the .222."

Bruce
"That's a lot of gun (or scope) for the money"
"They only made 20 of these and you will not find them in any book,"
The rifle is incredibly accurate. It shoots three shots in one hole at 100 yards.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/25/21
"It was designed for the 30-06, which is 60,000 psi, so it cannot be chambered in the 270, which is 65,000 psi."

"The .223 was designed from the .222. If you ever need a light load, you can use the .222."

The rifle is incredibly accurate. It shoots three shots in one hole at 100 yards.
That is some erudite stuff - real knowledge from those folks.
“Only made one year”
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Trash can.

Look somebody three out a perfectly good white boy.

"work boots"
Posted By: bcp Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/25/21
When I hear

"This rifle will put ten shots into one hole ....."

I think of this:

Attached picture mine-pit.jpg
Only shot by a little old lady on Sundays...
The Sako rifles made in Finland are more collectible than the Sakos made in Japan.
Gun shows transitioned from shooters in the 1970's to know it all douche bags going forward. Today it is worse
A few years back I was at a gun show and the guy in front of me had a Remington M600 carbine in 6.5RM. Dealer at a table asked if he could see it.
Dealer-How much are you asking for it?

Seller-I would like to get $800

Dealer gets a shocked look on his face and responds
But they only sold for $149 when they were brand new

Seller-Give me my rifle back

Dealer acted insulted as the guy walked away
Posted By: slm9s Re: Things you hear at a gunshow - 02/28/21
"things you hear at a gunshow"

a 38 special goes off about thirty feet from you, followed by the quiestest mass of people ever, for about 5 seconds.
Gun shows brings out the most of the same folks who show up for county fairs and catfish tournaments.
"Browning Citoris are made in Belgium." grin
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Did you miss an "L"?
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Did you miss an "L"?

Nah, those are made all over the world.
The bullet from this baby picks up speed when it leaves the barrel and rises.

What you should hear is: maybe before the next show I should probably take a shower and wash the shat off my ass, since its been there for six months and everyone within 25 yards thinks I am an overfull outhouse in August.

I can not go to a gun show in West Michigan anymore, to many smelly bastards. The old ones like in Holland used to be great.

What the hell changed?
And last but not least, Remington M710s for $499 and Weatherby Vanguards for $1000
© 24hourcampfire