Home
Posted By: scottprice DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
I’m hunting for my first street legal bike and I’m mainly looking at bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, Yamaha Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Kawasaki KLR/KLX, Ducati Hypermotard, Multistrada and Scrambler.... as you can see there is a crossover/dual sport theme here...

I expect to be nearly all road riding but would enjoy the ability to rip around if I want to on some roads and trails. Not technical single tracks, just dirt roads and trails. There will be some highway use so it can’t be a slow bike but I don’t need a rocket.

Let’s hear some feedback on these bikes. What are some regrets you had after your first purchase that you wish you considered before buying that first bike? What are repair costs like on them? Overall durability? General advice is appreciated too

Edit: I also looked at supermotos but I’d imagine you cant ride for any real length of time on those. I’m sure it’s a blast for hour or so rips, more than that and I think my ass would hurt

EDIT2: I should note that I’m 5 foot 11 and 220 pounds.
i run a ktm 390 adventure, because it is light weight at 330 pounds or so. runs highway speeds at 6k rpms with plenty of roll-on left. with traction control turned off, it runs our sandy clay back roads down here like a top. i'm too old at almost 70 for anything heavier. 66 mpg, by the way.
Looking back on all dozen or so motorcycles that I've had, I would tell you to not go overly large. For one thing PA. isn't great year around for bike riding and get a big one out on the highway even at 70 degrees and you'll learn all about windchill. A single cylinder will be better on the trail, but will vibrate more than a twin. At one time I thought that a Triumph 650 TR6C with a high pipe made it into a dirt bike. Not so. Way too heavy and powerful for any kind of trail. Then I thought I'd like road riding and got a Harley. Nope, deer jumping out in front of me, people not seeing me and pulling out in front of me, couldn't carry anything, sand blasted when a car or truck kicked up sand, bugs, cold, rain. In town and around the suburbs with a little twin like my first Honda CB160 was the most enjoyable. Right now it is a Honda CT110 that I keep at the cottage for trails and limited street use. Perfect.
A guy I know a bit bought a Kawasaki Versys 600 and loved it, but upgraded a year later to a 1,000 tonget more oomph for luggage or a passenger.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
First bike ? I'd look at 250 Yamaha Dual Sport .
Posted By: ribka Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by ol_mike
First bike ? I'd look at 250 Yamaha Dual Sport .

yep
Best advice I ever heard was learn to ride in the dirt.
It will make you a better rider when you get on the road.

Understanding how and when the bike will break free and hook up is an under-appreciated facet of riding.
But it will likely save your life.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
Riding advice ;

1] if you get out of control - pull the clutch in immediately .

2] LOOK where you want to go - not where you don't want to go .

3] learn to stop fast and to avoid things you don't want to run into - before you ''see how fast it will go'' .

PS , never loan your bike to a dumbass .
I should note that I’ve been riding dirt bikes for most of my life. I should have said this will be my first street legal bike
I have a Yamaha TW200 which is a great compromise trail & street mule but it tops out about 60 mph so freeways are pretty much out.

I also have a BMW R1200GS which is awful heavy for a lot of dirt roads since I am not a 6’5” muscular Austrian, (I’m 5’8”, 165, so you’d do fine) but I don’t regret it because it is such an awesome interstate touring bike. I was surprised that I like it better for highways than my Harley Road King & it does plain dirt, & fire roads just fine. Kinda pricey but I searched out a 1 year old lightly used one & saved 10K.
Originally Posted by scottprice
I should note that I’ve been riding dirt bikes for most of my life. I should have said this will be my first street legal bike

You might like a super moto/caponad(sp?) Type bike then.

Basically a dirt bike with smaller street wheels..

Guy from a shop I used to frequent would pass dedicated sport bike on the track with his.
He was a truly superior rider..
https://i.postimg.cc/KY7gHS3L/676-D9-A74-8421-4-FA1-B0-AA-BA827-EA76317.jpg
Really just depends on what type riding you want to do - all the dual sport & adventure bikes have things they are best at.

If you're not sure exactly what you want I wouldn't buy one of the high end adventure bikes just yet.
Honda makes a 500cc that really does better on the street, but has enough suspension travel, etc. that you can do fine on lighter off road stuff and doesn't cost a fortune (usually less than $7,000), but it's not as good as a larger displacement bike at fast freeway speeds - but can get about 80-85 mpg and does well at normal highway speeds.
Suzuki makes an old school 400cc that is carburated and liquid cooled that is similar to the 500 Honda and about the same price.

If you want something that will get it all done, doesn't cost a fortune (right around $10,000) and is dependable the Yamaha 700 Tenere is a great bike.
It will run down the freeway at fast speeds and has great off road suspension as well.This bike is easy to ride and will go anywhwere you want to go and does not have much in the way of electronic/tech/gadgets on it.
If you go off road you turn off the anti-lock brake system - that's about it.

The big 650 thumper/single cylinder bikes from Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki are better suited to off road. The Kawasaki is best on road but not as good off road (liquid cooled).The Honda is best off road (better suspension), and the Suzuki is the best all arounder in my experience.
None of the single cylinder bikes run as smooth down the road, and the Honda and Suzuki are air and oil cooled and can have overheating issues with extended highway mile use.

The big adventure bikes don't sound like what you need or are looking for and are expensive, but are great bikes.
The BMW GS1250 can be ridden coast to coast with ease if you want to and still be ridden off road, but in my experience is a little heavy for extended off road.
The KTM Super Adventure bikes are a little better off road than the BMW, but aren't quite as good on the highway/freeway.

Lot's of video reviews out on you tube on bikes to watch.

Really just depends on how far and how much you will be riding, and how much you want to spend,etc.

For my money, best value on a bike for the type of use you are looking at is the Yamaha 700 Tenere,
or if you want less expensive and aren't doing really long road trips give the 500 Honda a good look - might get you by until you figure out what you really like.

Good Luck,
-Ted smile
Posted By: deflave Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
I’m hunting for my first street legal bike and I’m mainly looking at bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, Yamaha Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Kawasaki KLR/KLX, Ducati Hypermotard, Multistrada and Scrambler.... as you can see there is a crossover/dual sport theme here...

I expect to be nearly all road riding but would enjoy the ability to rip around if I want to on some roads and trails. Not technical single tracks, just dirt roads and trails. There will be some highway use so it can’t be a slow bike but I don’t need a rocket.

Let’s hear some feedback on these bikes. What are some regrets you had after your first purchase that you wish you considered before buying that first bike? What are repair costs like on them? Overall durability? General advice is appreciated too

Edit: I also looked at supermotos but I’d imagine you cant ride for any real length of time on those. I’m sure it’s a blast for hour or so rips, more than that and I think my ass would hurt

Scott,

Kinda depends on where you live IMO. If everything is a long haul then I'd probably get a VStrom and go.

If you live in the city or suburbs I'd get a SuperMoto type bike and not look back. They're not intended for long hauls but they are a schit ton of fun for riding every day throughout your season.

I grew up on dirt bikes so I don't get any real pleasure from big street bikes. And I think I'd rather walk than have a dog like the KLR's or similar.
Originally Posted by deflave

Kinda depends on where you live IMO. If everything is a long haul then I'd probably get a VStrom and go.

If you live in the city or suburbs I'd get a SuperMoto type bike and not look back. They're not intended for long hauls but they are a schit ton of fun for riding every day throughout your season.

I live where there is some great country riding through the mountains, along the rivers with some moderate up and downhill sections. It is a pretty popular riding area for that reason. One of the reasons I am considering something of the adventure bike design is so I can throw a 2man tent and some light camping supplies on the rack and take off a few hours in any direction camp for the night. Although, for the amount of gear I would plan on bringing, I think I could also fit in a large backpack if I were to go to superMoto route.

In the superMoto world I have far less options on my radar compared to my Adventure bike list, some of which are the Ducati Hypermotard, Ducati Hyperstrada and the Aprilia Dursoduro. My reasoning behind those choices are a bit larger motor than some other manufacturers so when I do jump on the highway I have enough power to safely maneuver around when overtaking vehicles. And, quite simply, I think they are really good looking machines
Posted By: RDW Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
For 80/20 street vs dirt I would take the KLX/DRZ400-SM over my KLR650 any day.

I live where there is some great country riding through the mountains, along the rivers with some moderate up and downhill sections. It is a pretty popular riding area for that reason. One of the reasons I am considering something of the adventure bike design is so I can throw a 2man tent and some light camping supplies on the rack and take off a few hours in any direction camp for the night. Although, for the amount of gear I would plan on bringing, I think I could also fit in a large backpack if I were to go to superMoto route.

In the superMoto world I have far less options on my radar compared to my Adventure bike list, some of which are the Ducati Hypermotard, Ducati Hyperstrada and the Aprilia Dursoduro. My reasoning behind those choices are a bit larger motor than some other manufacturers so when I do jump on the highway I have enough power to safely maneuver around when overtaking vehicles. And, quite simply, I think they are really good looking machines

I'd get a VStrom 650.

I'd get a VStrom 650.

The V-Strom is quite honestly at the top of my overall list… How would you rate it against the Ducati multistrada?? And why

I'd get a VStrom 650.

The V-Strom is quite honestly at the top of my overall list… How would you rate it against the Ducati multistrada?? And why

I couldn't say because I've never spent any time around Ducati's.
Have you considered a Honda XR650L?
I'd also get the V-Strom 650. While the one I owned was an older model, it was a great do-it-all machine. I've owned multiple Ducs and I had a monster at the same time as the 'Zuk. The V-Strom was more versatile (as you would expect). Buy a used one so you aren't as worried about dropping it.

Since this is your first street bike, I don't know that you could fully appreciate the Ducati. I don't mean that in a condescending way, just that the 'Zuk will make you completely happy for at least a year and probably more. Once you've progressed, dip your toes into the performance/exotic pool. My bet is that you'll still keep the V-Strom as a stablemate to the fun bike.
Posted By: RDW Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
I lusted over the Monster for the longest time, it really was a stunning bike and a buddy convinced me that if that is the type of bike I really wanted, skip right over it for an SV650. Even if I perform the maintenance I am still on the hook for parts.

Neither the Monster or the SV fit the "adventure bike" profile the OP described as wanting. Not that either bike would not be fun as hell but probably not on the dirt although there is a Ducati Scrambler.

I have not ridden, only looked at and sat on the V-Strom I agree with the suggestion.
Originally Posted by RDW
... although there is a Ducati Scrambler.

That’s on the list too lol... as you can tell, I’m a bit torn here
I have a 2009 kawasaki er-6n for sale
Saw your edit...

Something in the middle weight range no more than half faired. Leave yourself some budget for upgrades.

A quick spin through CL brought up these ideas..

An older monster

A Smaller GS 650-800cc

A Suzuki bandit.or SV

Something you could put a pair of TKC 70 or 80s on and still have plenty of clearance..

A good saddle like a Corbin or sargent will vastly improve comfort for long rides.

I've ridden every type of bike there is, rode bikes exclusively for years, road-raced, and done countless training schools and clinics. I don't currently ride on the street. I've often thought about returning to it and the probability that I will in the next few years is pretty good. I feel like I'm in a similar situation to the OP because I'd have to choose a first street bike in some time. Yet I'm not a new rider, and I'm not young and immature. I don't know how old Scott is, but I don't think he's in his twenties anymore.

For my taste, the "adventure" bikes are stupid heavy. I would pick a BMW GS for international adventure travel but if serious transcontinental travel is not the goal then it is needlessly heavy. If the focus was more toward emphasis on off-road but with long-highway capability then I would pick the Honda XR650L.

It might be a mistake to hold onto any vestige of "offroad" if it will really be a street bike. The only appealing feature on the street could be the light weight, but it's exclusive to the weak ones. The offroad-styled street bikes with power are all heavyweight. If you're going to pay the weight penalty, doing it without the offroad styling pretense has advantages.

The Goldwing and the BMW K1600 are the best for touring on US interstates unless you want to do it on a Harley. For less ambitious destinations, the best choice can depend a lot on what kind of roads you have around you because without traveling longer distances, you're stuck with the types of roads near where you live.

If you live where the hills or mountains are enough that the roads curve through them, then I would prefer the Sport Touring bikes which seem to be all discontinued in favor of the adventure touring bike trend. Still, two bikes from the past that I can highly recommend: the Honda VFR800 and the BMW R1100/1200 S. They still make new VFR800 but I do not think they import them to the US since around 2017. Either of those bikes is absolutely fantastic for twisty roads while still being comfortable and forgiving compared to a supersports bike.

If you're a flatlander and you're not going far, get a Triumph Rocket 3 or a big-displacement (>105") Harley. My preference besides the Rocket 3 would be one of the now discontinued dyna's with an S&S V111 motor but some people are more softtail/fatboy types. Also consider a British classic bike like a vintage Norton. They're awesome as long as you don't need to go far or in a lot of comfort. For modern standards, I'd look at the current model Honda CB500F and the current model Triumph Trident 650 or the Suzuki SV650.

I don't know everything though. I got to the point where I was focused exclusively on superbikes and road racing and flat track for training and stopped riding on the street. I missed out on a lot.

Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I've ridden every type of bike there is, rode bikes exclusively for years, road-raced, and done countless training schools and clinics. I don't currently ride on the street. I've often thought about returning to it and the probability that I will in the next few years is pretty good. I feel like I'm in a similar situation to the OP because I'd have to choose a first street bike in some time. Yet I'm not a new rider, and I'm not young and immature. I don't know how old Scott is, but I don't think he's in his twenties anymore.

For my taste, the "adventure" bikes are stupid heavy. I would pick a BMW GS for international adventure travel but if serious transcontinental travel is not the goal then it is needlessly heavy. If the focus was more toward emphasis on off-road but with long-highway capability then I would pick the Honda XR650L.

It might be a mistake to hold onto any vestige of "offroad" if it will really be a street bike. The only appealing feature on the street could be the light weight, but it's exclusive to the weak ones. The offroad-styled street bikes with power are all heavyweight. If you're going to pay the weight penalty, doing it without the offroad styling pretense has advantages.

The Goldwing and the BMW K1600 are the best for touring on US interstates unless you want to do it on a Harley. For less ambitious destinations, the best choice can depend a lot on what kind of roads you have around you because without traveling longer distances, you're stuck with the types of roads near where you live.

If you live where the hills or mountains are enough that the roads curve through them, then I would prefer the Sport Touring bikes which seem to be all discontinued in favor of the adventure touring bike trend. Still, two bikes from the past that I can highly recommend: the Honda VFR800 and the BMW R1100/1200 S. They still make new VFR800 but I do not think they import them to the US since around 2017. Either of those bikes is absolutely fantastic for twisty roads while still being comfortable and forgiving compared to a supersports bike.

If you're a flatlander and you're not going far, get a Triumph Rocket 3 or a big-displacement (>105") Harley. My preference besides the Rocket 3 would be one of the now discontinued dyna's with an S&S V111 motor but some people are more softtail/fatboy types. Also consider a British classic bike like a vintage Norton. They're awesome as long as you don't need to go far or in a lot of comfort. For modern standards, I'd look at the current model Honda CB500F and the current model Triumph Trident 650 or the Suzuki SV650.

I don't know everything though. I got to the point where I was focused exclusively on superbikes and road racing and flat track for training and stopped riding on the street. I missed out on a lot.

Congratulations on not reading the thread whilst keeping your dick in your mouth.
Posted By: gwrench Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
I had an older Triumph Tiger 900 for a couple of years. It was great fun on the street but way too heavy for anything rougher than a gravel road. It was more top heavy than my buddy's Vstrom 1000.

650 Vstrom seems like a good option but I've never ridden one.
V-Strom.
Followed by an XR650L/DR650
Or a motard
Posted By: K1500 Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/26/21
My first (and only) bike was a Suzuki DL1,000 V-Strom. It was a great bike and totally trouble free, with plenty of power. As a distance road bike it was phenomenal, and I loved it on the twisty roads. I ran it on a few dirt roads and a cow pasture and it did ok. It was big and tall and heavy, but if you put your nuts up by the fuel tank and let the back end do what you want it was ok. I think the DL650 would be better for more dirt, but I loved the power of the 1,000. If I bought another bike I would lean toward a more dirt focused model, just because I think they look fun for running around town. I was commuting 75 miles one way on the Strom, so it made a lot of sense.

I went through the same process about 10 years ago and ended up with a Suzuki DR650. I like the feel and simplicity of a thumper. Several times a year I would try out a used bike, including most of those you mentioned, but kept saying that my DR was the most fun of them all.
The V-Strom 650 was too heavy and smooth (just didn't feel like it had any spirit - perfectly smooth engine, but boring). The Versys was too buzzy. The Triumph Tiger felt like driving a tractor - too heavy and cumbersome for any scootin' around fun.
I sold my DR a couple of years ago when I found myself being more and more careless and doing stupid things that I knew would have eventually put me in the hospital or the morgue.
Do yourself a favor and try a DR650. You can pick up a 2-5 yrs old one for half the price of used ones of most of those others you listed. Try it for a while and test-ride some of those others while owning it and see if you find anything else you like.
The motor they put in the Vstrom 1000 is a great engine. I road raced that engine. But the Vstrom is a turd. The factory superbike was a failure too in spite of the engine that was very good for its time and class. It was aborted because of a focus on 500 Grand Prix (Kenny Roberts Junior's championship) and then the GSXR1000 in AMA. The only bike where this engine really shines is in a Supertracker: https://www.cycleworld.com/supertrackers-dirt-track-looks-to-future/

I addressed the OP because they indicated an interest in "adventure" bikes but it was also written, "I expect to be nearly all road riding" and long durations were also mentioned. I expressed my own opinions while encouraging the consideration of other types of bikes based on the given rationale. If my post seemed self-absorbed it might be because I felt I can relate to the OP. If it seemed to address circumstances other than the details provided by the OP later in the thread, it's because there are other people interested in this thread too. In any event, I won't get crude. Enjoy your bike.

get something with pedals first to work off the blubber.
I also had a Triumph Tiger 900. Sweet triple sound and a pretty good road bike. It did OK on forest service roads and such but it was porky and top heavy. I know the newer Tigers are a different animal but I have no first hand experience with them. My Wee-Strom did well even loaded up for camping road trips:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Check out the Ducati desert sled, if you’re gonna growl, growl like lion!
All the recommendations have definitely narrowed my list down a good bit
Posted By: broomd Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/27/21
I'd avoid the Ducati, Triumph, BMW etc. They are decent bikes but are expensive and don't have the dead nuts stove-bolt reliability of the Yamaha Tenere and Suzi V-strom. I wouldn't want to be beholden to a Duck dealer for anything!
Bigger displacement is better for some of us; a passenger, gear, mountain climbs and headwinds make that an easy choice.

I personally like the Honda VFR1200X--aka the Crosstourer in Europe--with its DCT trans and will hopefully find one this Summer. I've clutched/shifted bikes all of my life but want to try the automatic DCT (they make a clutch/shift model as well.) The big Hondas been outta production for a few years, but still plenty of new non-current bikes out there.Honda's Africa Twin 1000 is another insanely good bike, it has a choice of DCT or manual transmissions as well.
Those Hondas would last you a lifetime.

The Tenere is a great bike, and probably a better choice than the Suzi, IMHO. Its bulletproof shaft drive solidifies that choice over the chain-driven Suzi if you do much gravel work. Other than that they are likely a toss-up.
The funky looks of the Strom are pretty cool.
All the recommendations have definitely narrowed my list down a good bit

Did ever rebuild your dirt bike motors?
A lot of the race and recreational guys do.
Thumpers are pretty easy..
Have a look at the thumpertalk forum.
Also ADV rider forum.
Posted By: deflave Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

get something with pedals first to work off the blubber.

^^^check out the f a g ^^^

LOL
I thought this thread just died an ugly death but guess not yet. I thought of two other considerations for you. I know you didn't ask about them, but they would be important to me.

Do you ride with anyone else? Do you have any social purpose for riding? You didn't mention it and mostly described a loner thing. I think you can see that if you ride with anyone else or want to, there is value in compatibility in terms of the roads you go on and the pace you share. There's really a whole lot to the social aspect in so many ways. Among other things, bikes are an "identity" thing for a lot of people.

More practically, the clothes you'll wear are a major factor in your enjoyment. On a dirt bike, you probably wear a helmet with goggles, a jersey maybe with a chest protector, trail pants, mx-style boots and gloves. None of this is any good at 50+mph over pavement. Regular street clothes are also worthless. Even if you wear a motorcycle jacket, cotton jeans don't provide any protection. When you ride on the street, the only way to protect yourself is with a two-piece motorcycling suit or a one-piece suit in either leather or Cordura. You'll also want a back protector, road boots and a helmet with a face-shield. Unlike dirt bikes where you sit over them and often stand up on the pegs, on almost every style of street bike you sit in them and hump the gas tank. The only kind of streetbike where you don't hump the gas tank is the foot-forward, ape-hangar cruiser style. Because you will be bent in the middle with your crotch to belly up against the tank, regular street clothes with belts and jackets with a long front are awfully uncomfortable. If you have a bigger belly, it's even worse. I'm not judging your body type, but you won't want to add bunched up clothing into that bend. One-piece suits are by far the most comfortable because they don't have the overlapping double layers where you're bent. I always wore leather, but I never get hot and rode in a climate where rain was rare. A suit from Aerostich or Klim might be better for some climates. To me, the bike and the suit are a package deal. I might like the way a bike looks standing away from it, but once I've figured out all the apparel that works best with it, I might find myself down a path in a direction I didn't want to go.

Posted By: deflave Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I thought this thread just died an ugly death but guess not yet. I thought of two other considerations for you. I know you didn't ask about them, but they would be important to me.

Do you ride with anyone else? Do you have any social purpose for riding? You didn't mention it and mostly described a loner thing. I think you can see that if you ride with anyone else or want to, there is value in compatibility in terms of the roads you go on and the pace you share. There's really a whole lot to the social aspect in so many ways. Among other things, bikes are an "identity" thing for a lot of people.

More practically, the clothes you'll wear are a major factor in your enjoyment. On a dirt bike, you probably wear a helmet with goggles, a jersey maybe with a chest protector, trail pants, mx-style boots and gloves. None of this is any good at 50+mph over pavement. Regular street clothes are also worthless. Even if you wear a motorcycle jacket, cotton jeans don't provide any protection. When you ride on the street, the only way to protect yourself is with a two-piece motorcycling suit or a one-piece suit in either leather or Cordura. You'll also want a back protector, road boots and a helmet with a face-shield. Unlike dirt bikes where you sit over them and often stand up on the pegs, on almost every style of street bike you sit in them and hump the gas tank. The only kind of streetbike where you don't hump the gas tank is the foot-forward, ape-hangar cruiser style. Because you will be bent in the middle with your crotch to belly up against the tank, regular street clothes with belts and jackets with a long front are awfully uncomfortable. If you have a bigger belly, it's even worse. I'm not judging your body type, but you won't want to add bunched up clothing into that bend. One-piece suits are by far the most comfortable because they don't have the overlapping double layers where you're bent. I always wore leather, but I never get hot and rode in a climate where rain was rare. A suit from Aerostich or Klim might be better for some climates. To me, the bike and the suit are a package deal. I might like the way a bike looks standing away from it, but once I've figured out all the apparel that works best with it, I might find myself down a path in a direction I didn't want to go.

JFC
Not sure if this would sway anyone’s recommendations but I’ll be buying a used bike. Most I’m looking at are under 10000 miles or so
Not sure if this would sway anyone’s recommendations but I’ll be buying a used bike. Most I’m looking at are under 10000 miles or so

Not really, just use good judgment on the condition and seller. Consider proximity to a dealer as there are special tools for the computers/systems (probably won't need them but you never know). Check maintenance records, especially on Ducs (changing cam belts on the 2V motors is easy but the others take a bit more 'effort'.) Pay close attention to the frame. Trust your gut.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21
The big "Dual Purpose" bikes are more road bikes than off road.

The multisrada , as all Ducatis are high maintenance, but a lot of fun. have had a few.

I had a 'Guzzi Stelvio, nice road bike ...too heavy for serious off road. what I disliked most about it was the fact it did NOT sound like a motorcycle....until 10,000 R's or so.

Trail bikes and road bikes don't mix for me.

Still have ' Guzzis. Best road bike I had was a 1400 California.

But , I like my Triumph Thruxton, and tour on it. It doesn't go off road too well.

Attached picture IMG_0435.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2823.jpg

Guzzis and Boxer engines make valve adjustment an easy 20minute mid riide lunch break type operation. But those are full sized liter+ bikes.

The boxer engines are easily 100k plus motors and have often reached 400k plus.

I don't know as much about the smaller motors, but they are typically v or inline configurations, so have less accessible heads.

To sock puppets advice I will add look at the brake lines. Some of the old rubber ones tend to degrade... replacing with reinforced steel braided line is not difficult. A few companies sell upgrade kits.
I’ve bought every bike I ever had used. If you research it right you save a bunch! Your timing for that is perfect. Buy motorcycles, convertibles & boats in the winter. Buy snow blowers, snow plows & snow mobiles in the summer.
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Your timing for that is perfect. Buy motorcycles, convertibles & boats in the winter. Buy snow blowers, snow plows & snow mobiles in the summer.

Amen buddy. Almost bought a snowmobile a few weeks ago after all that snow but made myself wait til at least May/June to get one
Posted By: Paddler Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by RDW
For 80/20 street vs dirt I would take the KLX/DRZ400-SM over my KLR650 any day.

Consider The Mighty DR, Suzuki's DR650. It's bulletproof with a ton of aftermarket support. I put Pro Taper bars, a bash plate, billet levers, Acerbis bark busters, Intiminators, OEM rack, etc, on mine. The Australians do some crazy stuff with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdLm9sXzdo

You should be able to pick up a nice one for $3000-$3500.
Originally Posted by Paddler

Consider The Mighty DR, Suzuki's DR650. It's bulletproof with a ton of aftermarket support. I put Pro Taper bars, a bash plate, billet levers, Acerbis bark busters, Intiminators, OEM rack, etc, on mine. The Australians do some crazy stuff with them:

Great suggestion. Only thing I don’t like about them is the boxy old school look to them, but I can get over that
Posted By: Paddler Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by Paddler

Great suggestion. Only thing I don’t like about them is the boxy old school look to them, but I can get over that

Boxy?

https://suzukicycles.com/dualsport/2019/dr650s
You can have a good time on anything on two wheels. I have had everything from true dual sports to scooters to sport tourers to adventure bikes to full dressers. If my riding was going to involve multi-day trips and long mileage days, out of those on your list, I'd go with the Tenere. Cruise control is such a nice feature when it comes to comfort. I have done quite a few 400+ mile days on a DR 650 and think it is the best of the big traditional dual sports. I say that having owned XR650Ls and having ridden KLRs. The VStrom and the Versys make good middle ground. The VStrom soaks up bumpy roads better than the Versys. Both have a huge fun factor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: RDW Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21

Looking back at your post, if you are getting back on the road and it sounds like that is your primary interest, how about a true road bike?

A naked or standard like the SV650 or FZ-07 as examples in lieu of a dual-sport or adventure bike?

I got back on the road after a 29 year layoff, previously on a 650 Maxim (a true squid in college and lucky to have survived) buying a Ninja 400. Light, quick, FI, ABS and cheap at 5,400 brand new. I was not sure if I would even be comfortable on the road and the N400 is basically a naked or standard with plastic. I ended up being comfortable and traded the Ninja 400 for a Ninja 1000, the 1000 for a ZX14R, and bought a KLR650. The KLR being less than fun on the road, recently snagged a KTM Duke 690 naked for short rides and around town commuting.

You may find room for a second bike, one bike is not the best at everything.

There are thousands of good deals on bikes right now but the market will thin as the temperature warms.

Or, you could just get what actually gets the blood flowing. This was the last Duc that I owned...sure loved that bike.

Hey Paul, a buddy of mine had a Versys when I had the Wee-Strom, and he liked it very much. I never rode it but he had a lot of fun on it.

Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Or, you could just get what actually gets the blood flowing. This was the last Duc that I owned...sure loved that bike.

Sweet. V twin sport bikes have the best sound in motorcycling and Ducati is the best of the best. The SV was no slouch.

Hey Paul, a buddy of mine had a Versys when I had the Wee-Strom, and he liked it very much. I never rode it but he had a lot of fun on it.

They have a very different feel, but both a lot of fun and very practical.

Posted By: greydog Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21
I currently have and ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650, a KLR 650, a KLX 250, and an old GL 1100 Gold Wing (81). The V-Strom is a very good highway bike but I dislike the throttle response and it is not a super gravel road bike but isn't bad. The KLR is a very good gravel toad bike, an adequate pavement bike but a bit of a pig. It has the original antilock brakes; no one could squeeze that lever hard enough to lock the front brake! The KLX is a wonderful trail/gravel road bike and great for 100 mile trips. It's also fun around town. If Honda brought out the 1982 Goldwing today, the naked model, I would buy it. If brought out today, it would be screwed up and electrified to death so probably not.
I like the adventure bike concept but all of the factories have made the bike too complex to be very appealing. I like the V-Strom but honestly, it lacks soul. GD
Posted By: MM879 Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21
The definition of Dual Sport obviously changes by location. I have been a Dual Sporter for over 25 years. Never seen one of these bikes on the trail. They are all Florida bikes that guys talk about, but never ride.
Posted By: RDW Re: DualSport/SuperMoto riders - 02/28/21
Jumped on the KTM to take my daughter a cast iron skillet, a 20 mile roundtrip that was close to 75 after visiting my parents and buzzing around town.

And a few miles from my house passed a red Monster laugh

I like the sound of V and I 4's but the Monster and SV have a sweet sound for sure!

© 24hourcampfire