Home
Posted By: ltppowell You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Just getting ahead of the curve. It's spring. Boys think of love. Men think of boats. What kind of boat do you really need? There are lots of knowledgeable people here to help you make that decision.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I’m thinking I’ll put the little 12’ tinny up for sale next month. It’s a fine little pond boat but a bit small for the boys and I. At 7 and 4yo, it’s only gonna get worse. Lol. Gives me a bit of the willies taking them in the sound with it. Couple big boat wakes at the wrong time and she’d be sunk.

I love my old 233 Formula, but it’s old, the Alpha needs some work and the trailer needs replaced. It’s a fine big water boat but Id like to get the boys on skis before long. Far from ideal for that. Smart move would be to sell both and get something 22”Ish made in the last decade or so with good power.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I need this one. Saw it at the docks in Auke Bay AK. Fishermen friends of mine told me they thought they saw Kid Rock and some babes come off it. As in 3 babes on his arms.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-22238/utopia.htm
If I win the lottery, always thought this was a cool boat.

https://www.calcuttaboats.com/calcutta-263
That might work too...................if I can't afford the $100mil Utopia.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
30-35ft center console.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

That boat is a full time job for several people. Likely several, several people.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
30-35ft center console.

I want to see pics when you get it!

I fish with a buddy on his 31’ Ocean Master. It’s a beast and rides NICE!
Posted By: Stophel Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
They say the two greatest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Classic accessories Colorado pontoon.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That boat is a full time job for several people. Likely several, several people.

Special Features

The yacht, manned by 16 to 18 crew, has an impressive audio-visual entertainment system, a state-of-the-art integrated bridge and a helicopter pad with refuelling facilities.

The rich can afford these things, because like some of their extra homes, they are turned into a business. Utopia leases out at $435K a week in winter. Approximately $535K a week in summer according to that website.

I think prices are lower than when I looked a few years back, likely because business is suffering from The Corona.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

20 pockets and 2, yes 2! drink holders!
Posted By: MPat70 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Got my canoe for family camping trips, a 1980 bass boat 17' w/35hp 1980 Evinrude for lakes and rivers, a 1957 alumacraft model F 13'11" that was my grandpa's, and a little 12' johnboat w/9.5hp 1980 Johnson for the Bayou.

They all still work like new and ready to play any ole time...
Posted By: RAS Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Bought this new last fall for walleye on the Bay. It has since received a kicker.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I bought this new a few years back for inland lakes or unimproved launches.

Both boats serve their purposes great. The older I get, the more I like to be out on the water with my family and friends.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Duckworth Advantage Sport, Yamaha SHO 115hp, Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker, Minn Kota 80# i-pilot. Its a freezer filler.

Posted By: tzone Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Have a new one on the way here shortly. I can’t wait.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I love my Arima.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Big Lund fan here, nice boats.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I feel a great loss. My BBF just lost everything in a fire, Covid related, and I would like to help home out. First off, he'll really feel better with a new boat, like the top one please. I suppose living at the lake I will need one someday, but, for now I just want him to be able to fish....

Originally Posted by RAS
Bought this new last fall for walleye on the Bay. It has since received a kicker.

I bought this new a few years back for inland lakes or unimproved launches.

Both boats serve their purposes great. The older I get, the more I like to be out on the water with my family and friends.

Posted By: Sheister Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
My 19' 3" Alumaweld Super Vee suits me just fine in all the water I fish in, thank you.... and is a salmon killing machine in the spring...

Bob
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
1995 Cajun Travis Edition, fishn'ski with 175 hp Johnson.
Posted By: las Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
A boat ain't an option. 5 is probably the minimum to really get by......

I have an 18 foot flat bottom, twin hull something or other - Crestliner? (inoperative, but I have hopes - belonged to my deceased oldest brother), An Achilles inflatable, an 18 foot double end Grumman canoe (had a 19' square stern, and an 18' lightweight - both stolen).

I could use an offshore-capable to go to Kodiak or out a bit farther in Cook Inlet for Salmon/halibut, or PWS for deer and halibut, maybe a pack canoe for back country lakes...

The problem with having a lot of toys is the upkeep if you ain't rich enough to hire it out. I've done little since September except to run maintenance and repair on two ATVs, 3 snow machines, trailers, snow blower, and 40hp Yamaha jet outboard. I have yet to get to the Ram(cracked fog light, dog-chewed seat belts), or the 30 hp Everscrewed tiller handle repairs for the Achilles, much less that old Crestliner and its motor, and a couple other old 2-stroke outboards from days past..

Been busy part of the time with the wifely "remodel" crap, mostly moving plumbing around to accommodate all her new stuff, which of course didn't match up with any of the old stuff sizes, heights, or bathroom positions....

Sitting in a boat with a lure-less fishing rod and a 6 pack of beer is sounding damned good right now, and I quit drinking...... smile
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by Stophel
They say the two greatest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.

I've done that 4 times. Ain't going for 5.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

20 pockets and 2, yes 2! drink holders!

And bucket of the Colonels finest !!
Posted By: boatboy Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I am waiting for my new boat
Sold my Center console I love center consoles

but trying something different I have fished on one of these and they are pretty awesome and it will serve other functions better than my center console

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The manufacture is doing some custom features for me
My new 250Merc digital is at the dealer I am also putting 15 EFI kicker
I have a 12in Simrad unit with auto pilot going on it
they are taking a 24 and streching it to 26 it is a triple tube they handle big, rough water very well
This I have seen first hand

My Lund is ready for Walleyes in the Saginaw River should be any minute

Hank
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
All set

Posted By: bruinruin Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
For now, it's a Sea Nymph 171CC (center console) with a 90HP Mariner. I replaced the floor and the open cell flotation foam in the hull last summer, and I'll be mounting a 24 volt Minn Kota with I-Pilot on the bow soon in preparation for chasing spring walleye in the shallows.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Fortunately only owned one boat before I purchased my current one. This old center console 19' Bayliner is starting its 38th year! Been all over the West, Sea of Cortez and a bit in Upstate NY. Best aftermarket device on it are Bennett Trim tabs.

DVDGeorge....are you harbored at Point Breeze?

Will be getting on my favorite lake in a few weeks.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]]

Posted By: ltppowell Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

I've done that 4 times. Ain't going for 5.

Trust me. I am looking forward to the day when someone else is captain, but I still hope to be in one.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Up here its a 21 Seaway Seafarer with a 115 Mercury 4 stroke. Always liked down-east style boats and if money was no object a 40 something Young Brothers with single inboard diesel would be tied up instead.

If the warden has her way and sunny Florida is next, a 21 to 23 ft center console would have to be purchased.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
B.O.A.T.
Break out another thousand
Posted By: hanco Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I have this old thing, won’t be long till it’s time to take it out

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
First day afloat last week, doing motor break-in...

Originally Posted by BluMtn
B.O.A.T.

That quote is SO '80's.
Need a fightin' chair up frnt on the bow deck, RR. cool smile

Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Posted By: horse1 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by BluMtn
B.O.A.T.

That quote is SO '80's.

BOTMT (Break Out Two ((or Three)) more Thousand).

In regards to the OP. Same boat I've run since '15. Yar-Craft 186 TFX, 3.3L V-6 Yamaha F200 4-stroke, 9.9HP Yamaha 4-stroke kicker.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

That's just right for any kind of fishing a man needs to do, outside big water. The only thing I would suggest is an i-pilot trolling motor. They are well worth the money.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I've got a 24' Hamilton powered jet, a 12' porta-bote and some inflatables. Everyone should have a porta-bote.
Posted By: TheKid Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I blew out the Suzuki and pop riveted a new front seat in the Gregor last weekend. Took it down to the lake and got new stickers then ran it out for a shakedown. All’s well and ready to start killing crappie and saugeye but I find myself wishing for better electronics. Probably don’t need it since we always do fine the way it is but some of the new side scan stuff is pretty awesome.
Posted By: Raeford Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Once our move to Tenn is done we intend to get a bare bones pontoon as we will be at or very near either Douglas or Cherokee Lake.

Have had my fill of ski type boats.

Wife can be the DD and I will enjoy.
This is like my fishing boat. None of them are perfect, but this is as close as I've come to what I do.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
We have a nice fishing boat parked within a half mile of a 40,000 acre lake, and I can't get there. cry
Posted By: rost495 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Just getting ahead of the curve. It's spring. Boys think of love. Men think of boats. What kind of boat do you really need? There are lots of knowledgeable people here to help you make that decision.

a boat? Hmm We have 7 boats at last count. Think covered plus the boats I work out of in Alaska, we have 7 there too. Oops. Forgot one other boat in AK.. we have 8 boats. How stupid can one get.

and I don't even like fishing that much. Prefer shooting and hunting by far.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
2004 Triton LTS- put a lot of fish in this boat, got a new custom from GatorTrax ordered.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Yeah....we've got a dozen or so boats at my other job, but they're not fun like my fishing boat.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
30-35ft center console.

If I ever traded up, that's what it would be - the ultimate fishing platform.

Crew all wears Grundens or goes home. grin No whiners allowed.

For now I have to stick with my 25' Grady White.

And 18' aluminum river boat.

And 12' portabote.

Been doing marathon maintenance this winter, and itching to go.
Posted By: AML Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Many of Pennsylvania's reservoirs have 20 hp limits on them. I have my eye on a 16 foot Lund rebel with 20 hp Honda outboard.
Posted By: JeffA Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
30-35ft center console.

With twins..

That's my numbers for being comfortable offshore. 32+

Not so much hot on the center consoles no more.
Gemme a cabin, head, etc.
Once I get out there I figure I might wanna stay for a night or two. Done racing in and out 50 to 60 miles in one day.

[Linked Image from images.boats.com]
Posted By: benchman Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Guess I gotta charge the battery in the poor old thing, and see if it will run another year. 1961 Starcraft 16' Viking, 1965 Johnson 75hp....
Posted By: colorado bob Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
What's that old joke-----If it's flies, floats or -ucks-------It's cheaper to rent it.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by colorado bob
What's that old joke-----If it's flies, floats or -ucks-------It's cheaper to rent it.

I can honestly say high end call girls are wayyyy cheaper than wives!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
this one, the Utopia IV parks across Biscayne Bay in Miami, right across from my condo.

https://www.moranyachts.com/luxury-yachts/utopia-iv/?yacht-type=luxury-yachts-charter
Posted By: JGray Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Bought this 16 years ago right after a divorce (mid-life crisis and all that...). I've had a lot of fun and caught a lot of fish with it but it doesn't seem to get used near as much anymore. My wife hates it and wants a more family oriented boat but I'm still in denial that it's time to sell. We've spent a little time with friends on their pontoon boat recently and I must admit they are pretty damn comfortable, though I'm more partial to some of the center console boats others have posted here.

Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Bust out another thousand...

Back in the day I lived out on Lake Minnetonka and always had friends that did the boat owning. Good strategy.

I've got a canoe, that's as far as it will go.
Posted By: pal Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Have had boats up to 48', but small boats are the most fun. Mine is a 25' Mako walk-around cuddy with 250 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. Has 2 bunks/convertible dinette, galley, head with shower, and a huge cockpit. Holds 150 gallons of fuel, enough to fish or dive any of the islands off soCal. On tandem aluminum trailer.

Posted By: gitem_12 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
i need a 23-25 foot Ducwater with either a 250-300 Suzuki, or twin 200s
Nice.
Posted By: JGray Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I've fished several times off this 43' Bertram out of Kona over the past ten years or so:

But the locals do it a little differently grin :

Posted By: gregintenn Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Here's my little dingy. Works great for me.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Standing pat with the old one.

Everybody needs a boat at least once in their life. A swimming pool too.
Originally Posted by hanco

I think I'll make it without a swimming pool.
Posted By: trplem Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21

The greatest day in a former boat owners life is when they finally realize the wisdom of the following advice. " If it floats, flies, or phoques-rent it.". I learned it from P.J. O'Rourke's writings many years ago.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
For the rivers 470 Solar Inflatable jet boat 50 hp Tohatsu jet

For salt and lakes 20 ft Kofler Bay Bee twin hondas Kayak rack removable and rod holder tired of losing rods and nets!

Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by trplem

The greatest day in a former boat owners life is when they finally realize the wisdom of the following advice. " If it floats, flies, or phoques-rent it.". I learned it from P.J. O'Rourke's writings many years ago.

some people aren't meant to have boats. we love ours and usually use it a lot. this past year was crazy with the new job and the move but we still managed to make it out a few dozen times and won a tournament to boot. this year we'll be going out almost daily. all depends on where your priorities are. maintenance, shelter and a little TLC will do wonders for your boat and it isn't that hard. most people just don't know or don't care enough to do it.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

some people aren't meant to have boats. we love ours and usually use it a lot. this past year was crazy with the new job and the move but we still managed to make it out a few dozen times and won a tournament to boot. this year we'll be going out almost daily. all depends on where your priorities are. maintenance, shelter and a little TLC will do wonders for your boat and it isn't that hard. most people just don't know or don't care enough to do it.

If you don't start with a junker, keep it stored indoors, and perform basic maintenance, you shouldn't have any more problems than with an automobile.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I can't imagine life without my boat. If I was to sell it, I'd buy the same model and motor...so I won't be selling it at all. I've had it all over the Upper Midwest and moose hunting in Ontario twice. Limits of fish and limits of fun. If I close my eyes and look out the window at the river, I can hear my daughters and their friends screaming from the tubes its pulled.

Mine is a Ranger Reata 1850 with a Yamaha 150.

I listen to people bitching about their boats from time to time and wonder how bad their experiences must be. Mine's been fantastic.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
or you could be crazy like me and prefer starting with a junker. I love giving old boats a new lease on life, and often times can make a little walking around money. smile
But your point is spot on for the majority. get something nice and keep it nice. It's no different than a pickup, a rifle, pair of boots or favorite knife. if it's nice, keep it nice. it's easier to maintain than to resurrect.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21

Those things certainly create a great deal of “friends”!
Posted By: BeanMan Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Valiant 42
We’ve had boat/boats since we’ve been married 42 years. We have a 22 Sea Boss and a 17 Sea Pro, both CC’s. I crappie fish and run some lines w the 17 and play, cruise, and fish w the 22. It has deep freeboard and the grands are real safe in it. Wife wouldn’t ever dream of driving a minivan...pontoons/tritoons are just not my thing. Besides, all the neighbors have them!
But I do all of my routine maintenance and to date it has been no issue.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I can't count the boats I've owned after being in the marine industry for over 30 years, but this is the only one that makes me happy.

Posted By: KRAKMT Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Anyone have experience with a mini pontoon?
Property we bought is next to a high mountain lake and a small pontoon would seem to fit the bill.

Originally Posted by mirage243
I can't count the boats I've owned after being in the marine industry for over 30 years, but this is the only one that makes me happy.

Just the ticket for trolling. grin
Posted By: efw Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Duck hunting canoe is all I have ever had.

A sleeker Wenoah (sp?) would be nice.

When I relax I like to be far from engines and engine noise, personally.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by JGray
I've fished several times off this 43' Bertram out of Kona over the past ten years or so:

But the locals do it a little differently grin :

Nice Spear!
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I just let folks pay me to drive theirs around. Saves on overhead. 😉
Mirage,
I too was in the biz for about ten years or so. Boss from Cali had a Lavey Craft w 427/blower. I don’t know how fast it was but I’ve never seen it’s equal. That’s a gorgeous boat.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21

That is a good one! Now, I owned a hang glider for years, no maintenance, no motor to overhaul, that wasn't bad. But the ultralight. Lots of problems, engine maintenance etc. I had it two years and had some great times but when it was destroyed in a tornado, I breathed a sigh of relief.
Posted By: Nollij Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Worn in 1988 Crestliner Mirage 160 Sportfish. 90HP 3 cylinder Merc poppin' every 120°. Minimal buy in. I don't feel bad when it bumps into the dock. Works great. Alumacraft Ducker for backup.
Posted By: 1minute Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Drift boat for white water camping and steelhead fishing. Forty six years old. Only goes down stream.

Mine has done well for 20 years, taken good care of it. Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
A decent do-it-all boat.

Posted By: woodson Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I lust for a 18’ deep V aluminum with no casting platform with a Suzuki 115 and galvanized trailer. There isn’t much in the market that fills that spot. Lund Alaskan, Polarkraft outlander, and the Starcraft/smokercraft Freedoms.

Had a “local” dealer quote me $25k for what I want(Yamaha power) with no extras.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by woodson
I lust for a 18’ deep V aluminum with no casting platform with a Suzuki 115 and galvanized trailer. There isn’t much in the market that fills that spot. Lund Alaskan, Polarkraft outlander, and the Starcraft/smokercraft Freedoms.

Had a “local” dealer quote me $25k for what I want(Yamaha power) with no extras.

That boat as a tiller, plus kicker, electronics, etc., would be my ideal.
Posted By: JeffA Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Anyone have experience with a mini pontoon?
Property we bought is next to a high mountain lake and a small pontoon would seem to fit the bill.

Neighbor bought one, he's in his upper 80s so that means I have to go, he rides.
His salesman got him for the electric trolling motor set-up.
It worked, if the wind didn't blow.

We put a 7.5 hp kicker on it the first week.

It zipped around just fine after that for a few weeks then the new wore off and it got parked.

He has a 24ft tri-toon with 90 on it that gets the most use.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
26' Sea Chaser with a Suzuki 300 when running draft is 12" when idle 16" it will do 60mph, it's my refuge every one loves the name.

Dean

Attached picture IMG_0108 (3).jpg
Attached picture 20190305_082101 (1).JPG
Posted By: Stophel Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
I'm poor. wink The only boat I've got has a paddle.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21

happiest day for a boat owner

the day he buys it

then the day he sells it..........
Posted By: woodson Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by bruinruin

That boat as a tiller, plus kicker, electronics, etc., would be my ideal.

Dude they make a tiller version.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Mirage,
I too was in the biz for about ten years or so. Boss from Cali had a Lavey Craft w 427/blower. I don’t know how fast it was but I’ve never seen it’s equal. That’s a gorgeous boat.

That's a 540 CI blown, hat and port injected alcohol motor, way over 2K horsepower. I run Pro and Quick Eliminator in the Lucas Oil Dragboat Series, been in the high 170's in this boat several times.
Paul,
That’s a helluva boat. Those dual consoles are great. I was looking for a salt water DC when I bought mine, but they went out of vogue for a bit and the pre owned we’re few and ridiculously priced. I like it and those Parker’s that are similar. Real nice.
I must admit...reading this thread makes me want to buy a boat. No schit.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Paul,
That’s a helluva boat. Those dual consoles are great. I was looking for a salt water DC when I bought mine, but they went out of vogue for a bit and the pre owned we’re few and ridiculously priced. I like it and those Parker’s that are similar. Real nice.

The only problem with it is that with all my passtimes, I don't use it enough.
Posted By: rost495 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Yeah....we've got a dozen or so boats at my other job, but they're not fun like my fishing boat.

LOL my work boats are fishing boats. LOL

Not sure why swimming pool. BTDT IE in them. I don't swim so I can't see needing a swimming pool
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Damn a boat, I have 6 of them.
Posted By: tzone Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I can't imagine life without my boat. If I was to sell it, I'd buy the same model and motor...so I won't be selling it at all. I've had it all over the Upper Midwest and moose hunting in Ontario twice. Limits of fish and limits of fun. If I close my eyes and look out the window at the river, I can hear my daughters and their friends screaming from the tubes its pulled.

Mine is a Ranger Reata 1850 with a Yamaha 150.

I listen to people bitching about their boats from time to time and wonder how bad their experiences must be. Mine's been fantastic.

That’s a great boat. It’s a good fit between family recreation and fishing machine. We were very close to buying one last summer.
Fish are biting.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Now THATS a boat!!
My favorites.
Posted By: chris_c Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

If something does not happen to it I have bought my last boat. Always garaged unless fishing 2008 Lund 1725 Pro-guide 75 Yamaha tiller. Minnesota and Canada fishing
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Fish are biting.

That looks like a commercial mackerel boat. Green Stick too?
Posted By: TheKid Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
That’s a nice slimer Chris C. What did he measure?
My 1994 Skeeter Walleye boat. Selling it as you read this.

Skeeter 17-foot, 135D, Suzuki 115hp 2-stroke, Hummingbird graphs, Minnkota power drive 12v bow mount.

New boat. Arrival date May 1. Vexus ADX 190. 175 Merc Pro XS, Humminbird electronics, Minnkota Ultrex 36v bow mount.

Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I must admit...reading this thread makes me want to buy a boat. No schit.

I can get you into one tomorrow!
Posted By: TheKid Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Having owned some of each I’ve reached the conclusion that glass boats aren’t for me. Ditto for carpet. Too much mud and catfish slime and I get lazy about keeping it cleaned out, plus the shallow stickup and rock infested areas we like to fish.

Someday I would like to upgrade to about a 17’ deep vee with a 50-75 horse 4stroke tiller and good electronics. Bed liner interior and no paint or stickers on the outside to rough up.

For now we’re just happy to have rod holders for this season. wink [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Fish are biting.

Yes it is and it's docked not far from you at the Venice Marina.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by rost495

Not sure why swimming pool. BTDT IE in them. I don't swim so I can't see needing a swimming pool

tongue in cheek, pools are holes you throw money into also.
Posted By: chris_c Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by TheKid
That’s a nice slimer Chris C. What did he measure?

48" Figured about 30 lbs. sent him back swimming
Originally Posted by TheKid
Having owned some of each I’ve reached the conclusion that glass boats aren’t for me. Ditto for carpet. Too much mud and catfish slime and I get lazy about keeping it cleaned out, plus the shallow stickup and rock infested areas we like to fish.

Someday I would like to upgrade to about a 17’ deep vee with a 50-75 horse 4stroke tiller and good electronics. Bed liner interior and no paint or stickers on the outside to rough up.

For now we’re just happy to have rod holders for this season. wink [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Your a lucky man to have such a fine captain.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Good size for what we use it for:

Fish are biting.

Did you ever run out of Leeville?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Fortunately only owned one boat before I purchased my current one. This old center console 19' Bayliner is starting its 38th year! Been all over the West, Sea of Cortez and a bit in Upstate NY. Best aftermarket device on it are Bennett Trim tabs.

DVDGeorge....are you harbored at Point Breeze?

Will be getting on my favorite lake in a few weeks.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]]

Braddocks Bay
Posted By: trplem Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn

If you don't start with a junker, keep it stored indoors, and perform basic maintenance, you shouldn't have any more problems than with an automobile.

When I was a kid, Dad would get the ski boat out of free company warehouse storage in April. We'd put it in at the High Cliff marina, run it over to our boat lift at the end of our dock, and use at our leisure all summer long. When October rolled around the process was reversed. Any service that was needed was done by Ed's boat shop.

If running a boat is more work than that, I'll pay to use someone elses.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not." From The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame.

When I was a kid, Dad would get the ski boat out of free company warehouse storage in April. We'd put it in at the High Cliff marina, run it over to our boat lift at the end of our dock, and use at our leisure all summer long. When October rolled around the process was reversed. Any service that was needed was done by Ed's boat shop.

Yep there are folks that prefer the lazy route for sure. even with vehicles I hear.
Fish are biting.

Did you ever run out of Leeville?

Griffin's in Leeville or Blanchard's in Grand isle has been our home port in Louisiana since the early 90's.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
The day I brought it home in 2019. I replaced the floor and flotation last summer. Hoping to get some paint on it this year. It's older, but pretty unmolested. Not full of various old equipment mounting holes, etc, and the hull is solid. Definitely not fancy, but Ilike it so far.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by chris_c

If something does not happen to it I have bought my last boat. Always garaged unless fishing 2008 Lund 1725 Pro-guide 75 Yamaha tiller. Minnesota and Canada fishing

Damn that's a big Northern. Wow
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Few more months until she gets wet
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

Dang, what a beautiful vessel. Crazy nice.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
20 ft sprint boat, narrow beam 48”, 130 hp Etec jet unit, tunnel hull it’s a flat bottom boat so when you catch someone else’s wake can be a bit of a bucking bronco. Sometimes to get to our 1st remote cabin ive had to travel in 4” of water so it serves those needs well. Also you can go as slow as 18-21 mph & still be on step depending upon load. That’s a real advantage to traveling unfamiliar rivers. Still have had to pound out dents in the bottom.

Also a 16 ft cataraft

I’d like to have two more boats but probably will settle for one.

Absolutely love being on the water sans ocean. We’ve friends w ocean boats for that.

Only regret for me on my boat is that I didn’t buy one 10 years earlier. And living on a hillside I run out of flat ground to store stuff. Too many toys ? Blasphemy. We love to play on the snow & in the summer on snow melt.
Posted By: johnw Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

And I kept some of that advice in mind.

Bought this one yesterday. Or I should say came to an agreement on it, and now need time to zoom up to the twin cities and pick it up...

Posted By: pal Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

Dang, what a beautiful vessel. Crazy nice.

Indeed it is.
Posted By: irfubar Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
My boat is made of recycled beer cans...... smile

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Troll much, do ya?
Yes Rocky that boat is set up for trolling & jigging. Notice the Bow mount electric, it has spot lock.... beats trying to anchor in deep water. wink

This one is for rowing.....

And this one is for casting..... boats are like rifles.... you need a different one for each application.. smile

Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by irfubar

Very nice!
Posted By: LowerRiver Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

Just getting ready to repower with Suzuki. How do you like the 9.9?
Lower river,
The 9.9 is electronic fuel injection, I have it wired with a troll master speed control . I am not as happy with as I thought I would be, seems to surge at trolling speed, maybe I simply need to work the bugs out of the troll master, I had the dealer check it out and he said it was fine... of course
Posted By: Morewood Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Boy, some of you guys have really nice boats. My little fishing boat is a 16' Alumaweld with a 40 hp Merc. Nothing fancy
I keep a 15' johnboat up at the family cabin on a small lake. Powered by a cheapo electric trolling motor which beats fishing out of an oar paddled canoe.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

Love these boats
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Good size for what we use it for:

Those are great boats.
Originally Posted by johnw

And I kept some of that advice in mind.

Bought this one yesterday. Or I should say came to an agreement on it, and now need time to zoom up to the twin cities and pick it up...

Hey there ya go! You finally got one! Where are you headed to pick it up?
Posted By: Texczech Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

Love these boats

I love that. Is the cabin big enough to sleep in?
Posted By: johnw Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
just north of Minneapolis
Posted By: TRnCO Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
I learned long ago that it is much cheaper to have a buddy with a boat or two, and pay gas when I go along. YMMV
Originally Posted by Texczech

Love these boats

I love that. Is the cabin big enough to sleep in?

Yes , and I have a diesel heater, last year I hunted out of it and got my antelope, not everyone can say they use their boat for antelope hunting...... wink
Posted By: stxhunter Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I learned long ago that it is much cheaper to have a buddy with a boat or two, and pay gas when I go along. YMMV

lol, what about if you're buying 300- 400 gallons.
Posted By: BobMt Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by rost495

Yep there are folks that prefer the lazy route for sure. even with vehicles I hear.

pretty condescending.......maybe some folks arent such brokedicks that they can afford to have work done.....at least thats what I hear....bob
Posted By: SamOlson Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by tzone

Now THATS a boat!!

That would be perfect for walleye on Fort Peck...

#dreaming
Posted By: SamOlson Re: You Need a Boat - 03/16/21

#jealous
Posted By: tzone Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Now THATS a boat!!

#dreaming

You’re not kidding it would be. It’s a great boat here too on Mille Lacs or Lake of the Woods.
Posted By: boatboy Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
It's really cool some very nice boats

And such a variety due to geographic region and personalities

I see some guys who really like their boats
I think the best part is big or small the owners love them all

It's cool to see
Hank
Posted By: stxhunter Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
We currently own a 2015 19 ft Alumacraft with 200 hp Yamaha. Does everything we need it to do.
12 foot Alumacraft Jon boat for our pond
Old Town Discovery canoe
18 foot flat bottom Alumacraft with a 12 volt trolling motor. We use it on a 160 acre private lake 2 miles from our house. We are one of the few who can fish this lake and it’s full of bass. No outboards permitted on lake.

While in Alaska we had a 24 foot Sea Sport for the ocean and used it hard for over 8 years. My all time favorite boat.
Also had a 25 foot inboard jet Thunderjet powered by a 496 big block. Wished I would of kept that one. It sucked gas but rode good and was comfie. Down here it would of made a great rig for bass and fishing for cats.

I been trying to talk the wife into adding a 24-26 foot Bay boat so we can run down to Venice LA and fish for reds, tarpon, and tuna. Maybe some day.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Shamrock Pilot House

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/img]
Posted By: exbiologist Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
We have an 18 foot Sea Ray bow rider and love it. Awesome family toy.
We will go bigger someday. Maybe soon.

Retirement dream boats are something like a Targa 46 in Alaska and and maybe a Riviera 505 SUV for the Florida house.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21

Now THATS a boat!!

#dreaming

You’re not kidding it would be. It’s a great boat here too on Mille Lacs or Lake of the Woods.

And Canyon Ferry... The time to enjoy such would be golden too.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21

Now THATS a boat!!

#dreaming

It's been there many times, and many more to come. My home away from home.
Posted By: boatboy Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Originally Posted by exbiologist
We have an 18 foot Sea Ray bow rider and love it. Awesome family toy.
We will go bigger someday. Maybe soon.

Retirement dream boats are something like a Targa 46 in Alaska and and maybe a Riviera 505 SUV for the Florida house.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is a great use of fiberglass
This boat does it all
Hank
Posted By: pal Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Originally Posted by boatboy
[quote=exbiologist]We have an 18 foot Sea Ray bow rider...
...This boat does it all...

Hardly. smile NO boat does it all.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
True, but we do all we can do with this boat
Posted By: MadMooner Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Going to pull the boat out of the shed today. Give it a wash and put the batteries on a charger. Hopefully get one more year out of them....

Older 19 1/2 ft Crestliner, 150 Yam. Just Big enough for the Missouri River reservoirs which is all I need.

Posted By: johnw Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Originally Posted by boatboy
It's really cool some very nice boats

And such a variety due to geographic region and personalities

I see some guys who really like their boats
I think the best part is big or small the owners love them all

It's cool to see
Hank

Agreed...

I love a boat thread....

Also, I think we need to define boat loony status...

I feel like I may qualify, as I've started a few boat threads, and I just made a deal on a boat that now requires me to go buy a truck to bring it home with.
Any guy with 6 or more boats automatically qualifies, In my mind...
Posted By: Morewood Re: You Need a Boat - 03/17/21
Originally Posted by johnw
Any guy with 6 or more boats automatically qualifies, In my mind...

Well, if I add in all these kayaks we've bought for the grandkids I'd have 9 boats. Qualified!
Posted By: woodson Re: You Need a Boat - 04/26/21

The Polarkraft Outlander is along the lines of what I would like. Nice open bow.

The Smokercraft/Starcraft Freedom would also work.
Posted By: Osky Re: You Need a Boat - 04/26/21
Bust out another thousand...

Back in the day I lived out on Lake Minnetonka and always had friends that did the boat owning. Good strategy.

I've got a canoe, that's as far as it will go.

[quote=Ghostinthemachine] Bust out another thousand...

I lived on Excelsior bay. Kept my 29’ Tiara slipped right there next to the Mai Tai. To shallow out front of the place.

Osky
Posted By: Osky Re: You Need a Boat - 04/26/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We have a nice fishing boat parked within a half mile of a 40,000 acre lake, and I can't get there. cry

It does not look like your going to get there this year either.

Osky
Posted By: Azshooter Re: You Need a Boat - 04/26/21
I am certain if I lived near the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario I would have more than one boat.

Reminds me of Larry Potterfield's ads. When it comes to boats how many do you need? Can't use the same one everywhere. Wife comes out and says how many boats does one man need? He answers well at least one more.....
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: You Need a Boat - 04/26/21

The Polarkraft Outlander is along the lines of what I would like. Nice open bow.

The Smokercraft/Starcraft Freedom would also work.
Both nice boats. I prefer a walk-through windshield. The Polarkraft, so configured, would be nice.
Posted By: johnw Re: You Need a Boat - 04/26/21
any excuse to post these...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/CPkayeD.mp4[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mz9d0FV.mp4[/img]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
Every year I figure I need another boat. 😀

This year I've been eyeballing a 15.5 or 16' Livingston. Little cat hull boat. Apparently they stopped making them some years back though they are fairly ubiquitous in this area. At least the 8-10' models are.

Anybody run one?
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
Not everyone needs a boat.

This morning I was talking to my nephew in my driveway. The main creek that runs from the river to the meadows flows behind my house. Local cops go flying by and I figured it was a car accident. A few minutes later a cop from a neighboring town stops at my driveway. He tells me a woman is floating in the creek and asks if I can help. We go into the backyard and see her. I had to drop my solo skiff off of my dock and paddle out to her. The boat ramp was north of me 1/4 mile away and the incoming tide was pushing her towards me. I paddled to her and loaded her onto my boat to bring her to shore. She was shook up and soaked. She went completely under at some point. Lucky for her the tide had just turned and it wasn’t flowing to hard. 2 hrs earlier or later and she might not have survived. There’s normally a drowning every couple years in this area due to the volume of water that flows in and out here.

From what I can surmise based on the info the cops told me after the fact....The lady was backing a truck down the ramp and never stopped. Truck ended up in the water. Her husband was on the dock with a rope to the boat and probably isn’t getting any ass for awhile because he never attempted to save her. Somehow she got out of the truck. I haven’t heard exactly how the boat ended up floating up the inlet towards my house....upside down with her hanging on for dear life. Must’ve been quite the sight to see how it all unfolded at the ramp. A few weeks back I almost shot some guy in my driveway. My friend called me a bit after the incident. I related the details and he put my luck into an eloquent statement.

If it was raining pusssy, you’d get hit by a dick. He ain’t wrong
Posted By: MadMooner Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
Boat ramps are rife with scenes ranging from comedy to tragedy. Often only seconds apart.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
Just getting set to take mine in for a full tuneup later this week.. so I can sell it. Just don't use it any more, my fishing buddies all moved away. Time to let somebody else enjoy it.

I'll miss it.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
It's a good time to sell, Calhoun.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
Boat ramps are rife with scenes ranging from comedy to tragedy. Often only seconds apart.

For sure I have often watched the boat ramp follies with a beer in my hand.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21

If I was a divorce attorney I'd hang a sign at every launch in the region.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
I am certain if I lived near the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario I would have more than one boat.

Reminds me of Larry Potterfield's ads. When it comes to boats how many do you need? Can't use the same one everywhere. Wife comes out and says how many boats does one man need? He answers well at least one more.....

a good share of m late season waterfowing is on the finger lakes. I am damned close to pulling the trigger on a Duckwater boat. I currently have a 24 foot SEArk with a jet drive on it
Posted By: Azshooter Re: You Need a Boat - 04/27/21
Noticed a potential folly as I was about to launch last week. The old guy (that's funny because I figure I am his age, 70ish) had the cover off his engine and was about to put it in the water. I asked if he had starter fluid. Then I noticed a young man of 17 trying to help the other old guy who was lying in the bottom of the boat. I went over to that side and asked if I could help. Old guy was really out of shape. The younger guy and I righted him and got him sitting.

There was a second young man in the drivers seat of the tow vehicle. Owner of the boat asked me if I could launch it for him. Instead I coached the driver on his very first attempt at backing the trailer. Driver later told me it was his grandfather we righted and he and his brother wanted to take grandpa out for what he thought was grandpa's last fishing trip. The boat owner was his old fishing buddy. Turns out Grandpa was my age and to be honest had no business in a boat with his inability get around. Anyway I warned the kids that the winds were going to really kick up midday and to be aware. Too many things were wrong and I had to help. Hope grandpa caught a few.

Normally I watch the shows at the launch ramp with folks that are capable........
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: You Need a Boat - 04/28/21
Boat payments cover quite a few guided trips per year.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: You Need a Boat - 04/28/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

Fact.

Most of my regular customers are older, expert fishermen who no longer want to deal with the issues that come with boat ownership.
Posted By: pal Re: You Need a Boat - 04/28/21

Fact.

Most of my regular customers are older, expert fishermen who no longer want to deal with the issues that come with boat ownership.

When you are young and fit, launching a trailer boat by yourself is no problem.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: You Need a Boat - 04/28/21
When it comes to boats how many do you need? Can't use the same one everywhere. Wife comes out and says how many boats does one man need? He answers well at least one more.....

It's heresy on this site, I know, but a man really needs more boats than guns. 30-06, 12 gauge, .22LR, and 9mm....kayak, canoe, johnboat, center console, duckboat. 5-4, boats win. Boats cost more, though.

For the record, I have more guns than boats, so I'm not a complete heretic.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21

Fact.

That's true, Meat is also cheaper at the store than hunting for it. Just sayin. wink

I own my boat free and clear, we fish often enough that we'd go broke hiring a guide every time. all depends on perspective and how much one uses their stuff.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21

Fact.

That's true, Meat is also cheaper at the store than hunting for it. Just sayin. wink

I own my boat free and clear, we fish often enough that we'd go broke hiring a guide every time. all depends on perspective and how much one uses their stuff.

Absolutely. I tell people that they need a boat if they're gonna use it more than a couple of times a month. Otherwise, they need a good guide.
Posted By: AKduck Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
24” aluminum with a hard top is in my future. Just waiting on those oil stocks.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
I just redid my little 14 footer and I'm about to break out the 24 footer...ice out in one week !
Posted By: rem141r Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
10 foot old town is my speed these days
Posted By: Morewood Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by AKduck

You're going to need a bigger boat.
Posted By: AKduck Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by AKduck

You're going to need a bigger boat.

Haha good catch.
Posted By: Nykki Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
I've got a 24ft I/B jet with a hard cabin. I want to downsize to something around 20ft but like this one.Have had two moose and two people and gear in it and still run 40mph down the Yukon.
Posted By: Western_Juniper Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
Originally Posted by rem141r
10 foot old town is my speed these days

I'm with you. Got this one off Craigslist a few years ago and it's been a champ.

* Paid For *
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
Where is that, WJ?
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
I have an 18' Maycraft CC with 115 Yamaha 4S that I use to hunt and fish out of (green hull). As my boys are growing and getting bigger, I'd really like a 22-24' bay boat and a 16' jon boat. A man really needs 3 or 4 boats to do everything. Every boat is a compromise somewhere whether it be draft, size, layout, etc.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
Whatever men, wear that PFD!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: You Need a Boat - 04/29/21
I love threads like this. And of all the stuff I have, I might love my boat the most. If something happened to it, I'd turn right around and buy the same thing all over again.
1850 Ranger Reata with 150 Yamaha. Dang we've had some of the best times of our lives in that thing.
© 24hourcampfire