-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Everybody needs a boat at least once in their life. A swimming pool too.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco

I think I'll make it without a swimming pool.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Stophel
They say the two greatest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.

The greatest day in a former boat owners life is when they finally realize the wisdom of the following advice. " If it floats, flies, or phoques-rent it.". I learned it from P.J. O'Rourke's writings many years ago.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For the rivers 470 Solar Inflatable jet boat 50 hp Tohatsu jet

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For salt and lakes 20 ft Kofler Bay Bee twin hondas Kayak rack removable and rod holder tired of losing rods and nets!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trplem
They say the two greatest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.

The greatest day in a former boat owners life is when they finally realize the wisdom of the following advice. " If it floats, flies, or phoques-rent it.". I learned it from P.J. O'Rourke's writings many years ago.

some people aren't meant to have boats. we love ours and usually use it a lot. this past year was crazy with the new job and the move but we still managed to make it out a few dozen times and won a tournament to boot. this year we'll be going out almost daily. all depends on where your priorities are. maintenance, shelter and a little TLC will do wonders for your boat and it isn't that hard. most people just don't know or don't care enough to do it.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

some people aren't meant to have boats. we love ours and usually use it a lot. this past year was crazy with the new job and the move but we still managed to make it out a few dozen times and won a tournament to boot. this year we'll be going out almost daily. all depends on where your priorities are. maintenance, shelter and a little TLC will do wonders for your boat and it isn't that hard. most people just don't know or don't care enough to do it.

If you don't start with a junker, keep it stored indoors, and perform basic maintenance, you shouldn't have any more problems than with an automobile.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't imagine life without my boat. If I was to sell it, I'd buy the same model and motor...so I won't be selling it at all. I've had it all over the Upper Midwest and moose hunting in Ontario twice. Limits of fish and limits of fun. If I close my eyes and look out the window at the river, I can hear my daughters and their friends screaming from the tubes its pulled.

Mine is a Ranger Reata 1850 with a Yamaha 150.

I listen to people bitching about their boats from time to time and wonder how bad their experiences must be. Mine's been fantastic.

Last edited by BKinSD; 03/15/21.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
or you could be crazy like me and prefer starting with a junker. I love giving old boats a new lease on life, and often times can make a little walking around money. smile
But your point is spot on for the majority. get something nice and keep it nice. It's no different than a pickup, a rifle, pair of boots or favorite knife. if it's nice, keep it nice. it's easier to maintain than to resurrect.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by hanco

Those things certainly create a great deal of “friends”!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Valiant 42

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
We’ve had boat/boats since we’ve been married 42 years. We have a 22 Sea Boss and a 17 Sea Pro, both CC’s. I crappie fish and run some lines w the 17 and play, cruise, and fish w the 22. It has deep freeboard and the grands are real safe in it. Wife wouldn’t ever dream of driving a minivan...pontoons/tritoons are just not my thing. Besides, all the neighbors have them!
But I do all of my routine maintenance and to date it has been no issue.

Last edited by gkt5450; 03/15/21.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can't count the boats I've owned after being in the marine industry for over 30 years, but this is the only one that makes me happy.

Last edited by mirage243; 03/15/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Anyone have experience with a mini pontoon?
Property we bought is next to a high mountain lake and a small pontoon would seem to fit the bill.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mirage243
I can't count the boats I've owned after being in the marine industry for over 30 years, but this is the only one that makes me happy.

Just the ticket for trolling. grin

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Duck hunting canoe is all I have ever had.

A sleeker Wenoah (sp?) would be nice.

When I relax I like to be far from engines and engine noise, personally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray
I've fished several times off this 43' Bertram out of Kona over the past ten years or so:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But the locals do it a little differently grin :

Nice Spear!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just let folks pay me to drive theirs around. Saves on overhead. 😉

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Mirage,
I too was in the biz for about ten years or so. Boss from Cali had a Lavey Craft w 427/blower. I don’t know how fast it was but I’ve never seen it’s equal. That’s a gorgeous boat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

That is a good one! Now, I owned a hang glider for years, no maintenance, no motor to overhaul, that wasn't bad. But the ultralight. Lots of problems, engine maintenance etc. I had it two years and had some great times but when it was destroyed in a tornado, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Worn in 1988 Crestliner Mirage 160 Sportfish. 90HP 3 cylinder Merc poppin' every 120°. Minimal buy in. I don't feel bad when it bumps into the dock. Works great. Alumacraft Ducker for backup.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.