Home
Posted By: johnw First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
For my new boat was Tuesday. Bought a 2016 Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk.
On the Rock River near Sterling Illinois. Sheltered ramp and plenty of deep water to keep the newb out of trouble. (Winds gusting to 25mph)

I need someone else to start another boat thread so I can now chip in as an expert.
I mean, I did it once, right?

I do have a couple of short cell phone vids that I have no idea how to post.

Pretty pleased with myself for just an hour or so boat ride
Posted By: johnw Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
I figured out already that you need to be ready to go to the ramp when you leave your driveway.

Stop for fuel or anything from Farm and Fleet and you'll be swarmed with guys wanting to talk boats or trucks.
I want a 2150 or a 2250 sport fish with at least a 350 horse on the back
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
You did better than me when I did my maiden voyage in my new to me, 1990 Fishhawk back in 2001. 40 mph NW winds. Ramp faced west.

I just had to get the boat out, much to the dismay of my wife.

I remembered everything I needed for a day on the rough water.

Except the plug...

blush
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by Rooster7
You did better than me when I did my maiden voyage in my new to me, 1990 Fishhawk back in 2001. 40 mph NW winds. Ramp faced west.

Except the plug...

blush

Ha Ha! I’ll bet you drove it around at 30 plus mph inn a short loop.
Posted By: boatboy Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
It is great when the maiden voyage goes well

Not all of the do, glad yours did

Boats are just fun

Hank
Still waiting for my first trip of the year. been putting a new electric trolling motor on the bow. Had to upgrade the wiring to accommodate going to a 24 V system.

This picture is from our first time out in my boat - I’m not the guy in the picture.

Spoonbill are a blast - get on those fish boys..

We had our second trip this week and nailed a couple more 40lbers

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
I was also a boat virgin until a month ago. Launched my 2021 Tracker Classic XL by myself. It didn't go as well as I'd imagined, but I did get it backed down on the first try and afloat. Remembered the plug, but as I left the marina, it occurred to me that I had left the storage unit wide open - had just driven out with the boat and forgot to close the door. Cut my initial trip short with the thought of returning to a cleaned out unit and a subsequent furious wife.

Luckily, the staff there saw the open door and no me. They closed and locked it. Nothing stolen.

Two more trips under my belt now, and I'm getting better at approaching the dock and trailer to load. Found both to be tricky in the wind with a light aluminum boat.
Wow is all I can say. We don't have them here.

Except the plug...

blush

Wait till you do that and the motor doesn’t start!!!🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Except the plug...

blush

Ha Ha! I’ll bet you drove it around at 30 plus mph inn a short loop.

I wish. Like Keith posted above, the motor wouldn't start right away so I just sat there bouncing against the rocks on shore and inventing new swear words. The wife just got out and went and sat in the pickup until the bilge pump did it's job and the motor started. lol
Posted By: ironbender Re: First Time In The Water - 04/08/21
Always have an extra plug or two wired inside the boat somewhere.
check out Broncosguru on youtube he has some funny fail videos RE: boating
Posted By: johnw Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
What kind of wind velocity do most experienced boaters consider acceptable on inland lakes and rivers?

We had winds in the upper teens gusting to 25mph or so and felt safe, but experienced a rougher ride going into the wind. I'm anxious to get out again but the wind looks to be as bad or worse in the near future.
I've been told that my boat will take way worse conditions than I will attempt. Judging from the way it handled the other day I'll sorta buy into that.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by boatboy
It is great when the maiden voyage goes well

Not all of the do, glad yours did

Boats are just fun

Hank

Last summer I saw a guy who trashed his out drive the first time he had taken his new (used) boat out. He went speeding full blast up river right into a well known spot full of rocks just below the surface. He was all bummed out, not 5 minutes on the water and he trashed the boat.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by ironbender

When I was a kid on my dad's boat he had the plug fall out why we were out using it. He ran the boat around to drain the water, pulled up to the dock and had me jump out and run up to the boat shop to buy a plug while he kept driving the boat around to keep the water drained. Fun Times!
Posted By: hanco Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
I wait until late May to take ours out, we ski, pull tubes, etc
Posted By: gregintenn Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Early spring is always a fun time around the boat ramps. New boaters can put on quite a show loading and unloading boats.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by johnw
What kind of wind velocity do most experienced boaters consider acceptable on inland lakes and rivers?

Too many variables - hull, wind direction vs particular body of water, etc.

Stops being any fun/comfortable to be out there before it gets to dangerous to be out there from a navigation standpoint.
Posted By: K1500 Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Too much wind depends on the boat, lake, operator, wind direction, etc.
Posted By: johnw Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Wanting to get my hands on the weather guy... What is it with the weather apps and forecasts changing every 2 hours?

I bought a boat! Is a little consideration too much to ask for???
Posted By: Morewood Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
I've been keeping my boat ramp receipts. So far I have about 10 river trips this year. I intend to get my money's worth out of a yearly pass.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: fester Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by Morewood
I've been keeping my boat ramp receipts. So far I have about 10 river trips this year. I intend to get my money's worth out of a yearly pass.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Chasing striper?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: First Time In The Water - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I was also a boat virgin until a month ago. Launched my 2021 Tracker Classic XL by myself. It didn't go as well as I'd imagined, but I did get it backed down on the first try and afloat. Remembered the plug, but as I left the marina, it occurred to me that I had left the storage unit wide open - had just driven out with the boat and forgot to close the door. Cut my initial trip short with the thought of returning to a cleaned out unit and a subsequent furious wife.

Luckily, the staff there saw the open door and no me. They closed and locked it. Nothing stolen.

Two more trips under my belt now, and I'm getting better at approaching the dock and trailer to load. Found both to be tricky in the wind with a light aluminum boat.

when I launch by myself, I put a rope on the bow, tied to the trailer back up slowly hit the brakes and let it slide off then go tie it off on the cleats and pull the truck out.
Posted By: rem141r Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21

Except the plug...

blush

my old man did that on the ottawa river years ago. we barely got the boat back on the trailer just enough to strap it and pull out. not a good way to start your day. old man could sling the curse words.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
Y

Except the plug...

blush

My maiden voyage consisted of me backing down the ramp..... Backed the boat out then forward next to the dock and tied it off.... Got out and parked the truck.... While parking the truck I got to talking the guy next to me for about 5 - 10 minutes or so. ...... Once done chatting I walked back to the dock in utter disbelief that someone stole my boat, it was gone..... Old man fishing off the dock was shaking his head and looking sorrowful at me as I was being creative with my language..... When I asked him if he saw who took my boat he said nope...... I asked how could he not notice when he was standing right there the whole time?..... He shakes his head and told me that he didn't see anyone take my boat because nobody did take my boat..... Wtf?? He laughs and told me to look closer....... Yep! My boat was there alright..... 3ft below water..... Apparently the guy I just bought it from the day before didn't tell me the plug was missing and I was so excited at my first boat that the plug was the last thing on my mind, all I wanted to do was get it wet..... Well she got wet and 30yrs later I still have that boat and I still check the plug first thing😂😂😂
Posted By: chris_c Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Early spring is always a fun time around the boat ramps. New boaters can put on quite a show loading and unloading boats.

Opening fishing weekend, grab a cooler of beer and a lawn chair. Sit down at a busy access and enjoy the show.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
For my new boat was Tuesday. Bought a 2016 Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk.
On the Rock River near Sterling Illinois. Sheltered ramp and plenty of deep water to keep the newb out of trouble. (Winds gusting to 25mph)

I need someone else to start another boat thread so I can now chip in as an expert.
I mean, I did it once, right?

I do have a couple of short cell phone vids that I have no idea how to post.

Pretty pleased with myself for just an hour or so boat ride

I have never been passed the rock River when the wind wasn't blowing 25 mph.
kwg
Posted By: TheKid Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
Me and the boy grabbed my old man and hit a little lake about 30 miles from here this afternoon. When we got there it was like a mirror. Put the boat in and the plugs out and started our first pass down the dam. Caught 4 fish in no time when we noticed a weather copter hovering and looking at a storm cloud to our north. The water went from glass to rolling whitecaps in less than 3 minutes, temp dropped about 15 degrees too. We rolled them up and wallowed our way crosswind back to the ramp. It was pretty rough and we were all pretty wet when we made it back. Had a hell of a rodeo getting loaded up but we finally managed.

Not fun, I’d guess 30-35mph winds and 2 1/2 foot waves, more than I like in my 15’ boat with a 20hp tiller and my 5 year old onboard. Glad we had Pop with us or I’d have had a tough time getting it loaded.
Posted By: Morewood Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
Originally Posted by fester

Chasing striper?

More a pleasure cruise that day but yeah, keeping tabs on stripers.
I typical will not fish in winds 20 mph or more with my bass boat, unless it is a tournament. My aluminum river boat, 15 mph and I’m saying screw it, no joy. I have bilge pumps, I haven’t pulled the plugs in my bass boat in the past 5 years.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
we regularly fish in 4-5ft sea's but it takes getting used to, they don't call them sea legs for nothing.
Posted By: Tansun Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
I upgraded my canoe from a little 10 footer to a whopping 17 footer over the winter, looking to conquer the big lakes this summer.
Posted By: johnw Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21
Me and the old lady used to take two kids, a labrador, toy box, cooler and grill in an 18 1/2 Sawyer Charger
Never felt like we needed more room or capacity.

The only canoe left in the garage is a 16 1/2 foot Swift
I feel overloaded just looking at it
Posted By: JeffA Re: First Time In The Water - 04/10/21

Not the first time..
Posted By: johnw Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we regularly fish in 4-5ft sea's but it takes getting used to, they don't call them sea legs for nothing.

And I'd like to fish like you fish. But probably not in water like that.

Too old and creaky...
Posted By: RickBin Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

This picture is from our first time out in my boat - I’m not the guy in the picture.

[Linked Image]

Guy in the pic looks sorta familiar ... 😑
Pretty cool video, JeffA

Love the floating bait shop...
Pretty cool video, JeffA

And I know nothing of that part of Florida. Looking at a map, and being a small boat owner, I can see wanting to change that. Guessing a guy could get seriously turned around in some of those waters? Guessing most of them must be marked?
Originally Posted by RickBin

[Linked Image]

The one with the schnozz? Or the beard?
Originally Posted by RickBin

[Linked Image]

Yep.. We all live in Kansas City, meaning there was man on the boat of the same caliber, both are really great guys.
This specific fish is a good 25lbs smaller than the one he caught on our last trip, but it was banded - he put the band pictures on facebook.

I have at least one more spooner trip before I convert over for catfish & walleye for the year.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21

And I'd like to fish like you fish. But probably not in water like that.

Too old and creaky...

yeah sometimes get pretty sore, hurt my back last yr when we hit a big wave unexpectedly, couldn't fish for a few weeks till it got better.
Posted By: JeffA Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21
Pretty cool video, JeffA

And I know nothing of that part of Florida. Looking at a map, and being a small boat owner, I can see wanting to change that. Guessing a guy could get seriously turned around in some of those waters? Guessing most of them must be marked?

It's very shallow water outside of the channels, gotta know your way around.

Bonnie has had that bait shop out there for about 25 years, she's 83 years old and out there every day.

In 2019 she sunk in a big storm, she treaded water for 2 1/2 hours before she was rescued.
The community banned together and got her boat back up and running.

Posted By: TrueGrit Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21

When you have sea legs they also work good as ski legs. We went snow skiing for the first time with a few other couples. They said that my legs would give out and be really sore from skiing. I had some issues learning how to snow ski but sore legs weren't one of them.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Originally Posted by ironbender

When I was a kid on my dad's boat he had the plug fall out why we were out using it. He ran the boat around to drain the water, pulled up to the dock and had me jump out and run up to the boat shop to buy a plug while he kept driving the boat around to keep the water drained. Fun Times!

Plug just fell out huh?

lol your Dad is a sly one!

hahaha
That's pretty cool about the bait lady.

Are all of the apparent channels and waterways downstream of Homosassa considered brackish? Salt?

Is any of the river above Homosassa brackish?
Posted By: JeffA Re: First Time In The Water - 04/11/21
Good question.

I've wanted to be able to test it in a few spots outta curiosity but never have.

I'd suppose close to the 1st, 2and and 3rd magnitude springs it's inevitable for there to be brackish waters to some degree but outside of the direct areas around them, not so much, it dilutes quickly.

The 'flats' areas and all up in around the barrier islands are very effected by the daily tides.
None of those areas seem to support freshwater fishes like the Everglades do.
The gators are even rare visitors.

A lot of springs people think are fresh water are actually salt water.
Just yesterday when the current storm front we're having was moving in we had a lot of associated wind, it coincided with a incoming high tide.

The tide pool behind my house looked like it had a fountain in the middle of it. There are natural crevices and possibly a small vent in the bottom of the pool. The tide was coming in quickly being pushed by the winds.
This forced the incoming saltwater to come ripping out of those crevices making it appear like a first magnitude spring.
I suppose it does qualify as being a spring of sorts, just not a freshwater one.

If you're looking at the map, I'm in the Ozello Keys in between Homosassa River and Crystal River.
© 24hourcampfire