Home
Posted By: M1Rifle Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Ok folks...need a little advice. I need a decent first aid kit for hunting, backpacking, and just being outdoors in remote country. A lot of options out there...but it seems many have a bunch of stuff you don't need like CPR masks etc. Any solid choices that are not crazy expensive? It will be going in a bigger bag...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
I did, and you can assemble your own.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Walmart sells quite a few outdoor-themed FAK's online:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=outdoor%20first%20aid%20kit
I bought blood clotting powder from Walgreens, have duct tape, gauze, band aids, antibiotic, should have staples,.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
The quikclot gauze pads are a must .
Posted By: M1Rifle Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Quikclot gauze pads...yes 100% Im trying to think of the things that kill people. Ill be adding an epee pen and some benadryl for sure...it seems most of the commercial ones are full of junk to prop the item count up
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
You will want to add a tourniquet also. There are a couple of good ones out there. The Sof T is what I carry with me. Check out Tac Med Solutions, they sell the Sof T and other stuff like quick clot. Probably find a lot of stuff cheaper elsewhere, but a chance to decide what you wanna pack. Tourniquet, quick clot and pressure bandage would be a good start along with medical tape.
A bandana carried at all time should work as a compress, or a tourniquet.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon

A tourniquet is cheap and works.

Use your bandana as a bandage....not a dressing.
Posted By: RAS Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
It’s one thing to have the gear and it’s another thing to know how to use it. Many great videos out there. Be sure to check them out.

The amount and type of gear you will need will depend on how long do you think it will take to reach a medical facility. Answer that question and go from there.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Definitely make your own. Sportsmans guide has a nice orange MTM dry box case you can make one out of.
Posted By: KC Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Definitely make your own. Sportsmans guide has a nice orange MTM dry box case you can make one out of.

The OTC First Aid Kits are generally just a handful of bandaids. If you want an effective First Kit, then do what gsganzer recommends. Make your own.

One day I sat down and tried to remember the first aid events that I have actually encountered while backpacking for 6 decades. This is a list of items needed to deal with those events.

MSXL spread sheets generally don't copy too well. But I'll give it a try.

PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT CONTENTS
QUANTITY UNIT DESCRIPTION APPLICATION
6 ea Bandaids 5/8" x 3" fabric Minor Cuts
6 ea Bandaids 1" x 3" fabric Minor Cuts
6 ea Bandaid 1 3/4" x 4" fabric Abrasions and Cuts
1 pad Moleskin 3" x 4" Blisters
4 ea Moleskin Donuts Blisters
1 sm tube Neosporin Ointment Triple Actibacterial Ointment
1 roll Gauze, sterile Wound Treatment
2 ea Gauze Pad Wound Treatment
2 paks Quick Clot Stop Bleeding
1 ea Battle Dressing Major Wound
2 ea 2nd Skin, moist burn pads Burn Treatment
1 sm tube Aquaphor Ointment Burn Treatment
1 roll Ace Bandage Sprains
1 roll Vet Wrap Sprains
1 ea Needle Splinters & Ticks
1 ea Tweezers Splinters & Ticks
1 tube Chap Stick Chapped Lips
2 pills Antacid Tablets, chewable Indigestion

You can get all this stuff at Walgreens except the battle dressing and maybe the Quick Clot. That you will have to get from Amazon.

I don't use a hard box. Too heavy. I use a small red stuff sack.

Ask a paramedic?
Posted By: denton Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Depends on how far you expect to be from civilization, and how big an owie you want to treat.

My range kit is tiny. It fits in a $.99 red hinged bath soap case: A couple of adhesive bandages, gauze pad, magnifier, tweezers, antibiotic ointment, cheap rubber tournequet, nitrile gloves, two naproxen sodium, and one papaya tablet. In case of a venomous sting or bite, the papaya tablet is crushed, wet, and placed on the wound.

Making your own kit is like reloading your own ammo: Less expensive, and customized to your needs.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Im putting one together for a friend.

Of course it needs to be set up for your specific needs,
Building your own will be better than a complete kit, by either cheaper, better quality stuff or less bulky.

Stuff for burns - Burnshield dressings and gel
Forceps
tweezers
Steristrips + Dermabond or Mastisol liquid for cuts
Compression bandage (Israeli Bandage)
CAT tourniquet - though elastic tubing or anything tight can serve in a pinch
Trauma shears
Gauze
saline bullets

According to needs -
Paracord
Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, allergy stuff, diarrhea stuff
Bandaids
Sunblock
vaseline for blisters/lips/dry skin
Originally Posted by denton
Depends on how far you expect to be from civilization, and how big an owie you want to treat

Making your own kit is like reloading your own ammo: Less expensive, and customized to your needs.

Beat me to it.
We all want to imagine ourselves prepared for everything. But a lot of the stuff paramedics carry on their bags requires training.
Being cogniscent of needs/likelihood/remoteness will show it requires different approaches
Depends on how far you expect to be from civilization, and how big an owie you want to treat.

My range kit is tiny. It fits in a $.99 red hinged bath soap case: A couple of adhesive bandages, gauze pad, magnifier, tweezers, antibiotic ointment, cheap rubber tournequet, nitrile gloves, two naproxen sodium, and one papaya tablet. In case of a venomous sting or bite, the papaya tablet is crushed, wet, and placed on the wound.

When denton speaks, I listen. Good friend I just got off call to Canada, you save me hundreds of dollars a year.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
KC gives a pretty good list. I would add locking hemostats. Squirting arteries can be slippery little bastards. But once clamped, they can be controlled.

I am sure that most here are First Aid trained, and know about tourniquets and the dangers thereof.

For the one or two who might not.

1a: Use of a tourniquet will "sacrifice the limb to save the life". Most times, a pressure bandage coupled with pressure upon the "pulse point" will minimize bleeding without cost of the limb. Clot powder or clotting bandages will be of assistance.

1b: Assume all tissue below the tourniquet will have to be cut off.

2: Once applied, NEVER, Never loosen a tourniquet before arrival at the ER. Let ER Dr do it.

3: tag the tourniquet with date and time of application.

Tourniquets are an absolute last course attempt used after all else fails in an attempt to save a life. Do not make the decision to use one lightly.

This is absolutely right. The first list I gave is what's in my backpack first aid kit. If you intend to hunt from a base camp then you will want more. If you are going on an Alaska fly-in hunt then your list should look something like this.

EXPEDITION GROUP FIRST AID KIT CONTENTS
QUANTITY UNIT DESCRIPTION APPLICATION
2 packs Azythromycin (Z-pack) - RX Bronchitis - Respiratory Infection
2 box Zyrtec - D Antihistimine & Decongestant
30 pills Keflex (cephalexin) - RX wide spectrum Antibiotic (internal)
90 pills Prednisone (hydrcortisone pills) - RX Internal Ingflamation, Muscle Aches
90 pills Ibuprofin Pain Relief - reduce Inflamation
90 pills Aspirin General Analgesic
90 pills Acetomenophin PM Sleep Aid
1 2 oz tube Cortizone-10 Ointment Burn & Rash treatment
1 box Imodium A-D Diarhea
1 box Ex Lax Constipation
3 packs Quick Clot or Celox Powder Stop Bleeding
2 lg tube Neosporin ointment Triple Antibacterial Ointment
16 packs Alcohol Swabs Sterile Cleanup
1 botl Soap, biodegradable General Cleanup
1 botl Foot Powder Treat Athletes Foot
1 botl Visine Irrigate Eyes
1 botl Claritan-D, Antihistimine Pills Treat Allergies
2 lg tube Aquaphor Rash & Burn Treatment

2 rolls Ace Bandage 3" Sprains & wound treatment
2 rolls Ace Bandage 2" Sprains & wound treatment
1 pack NAR Hyfin Twin Pack - Chest Seal Seal Sucking Chest Wound
2 each Battle Dressing, sterile Wound treatment
2 roll Gauze, sterile Wrap Wound
24 each Sterile Gauze Pads, 3" x 3" Pack Wound
2 roll Medical Tape 1" Wound treatment
36 each Fabric Bandaids 3/4" x 2 1/2" Minor Cuts
20 each Fabric Bandaids 1 1/2" x 3" Minor Cuts & Abrasions
1 pack Mole Skin Blisters
1 pack Moleskin donuts Blisters
2 roll VetWrap - medical cling wrap Wound treatment
1 box Nexcare Tegaderm bandages Burn treatment
4 packs WaterGel 4" x 12" Burn treatment
4 ea 2nd Skin, moist burn pads Burn Treatment
4 each Tongue Depressors - wooden Finger Splint
1 botl Liquid Bandage Treat Minor Cuts & Dry Skin Cracks

1 each Tourniquet Control Bleeding
1 each Suction Pump (Sawyer Extractor) Tick removal, Snake Venom removal
1 each Thermometer (digital) new batteries Measure Body Temperature
1 each Thermometer, mercury In case digital fails
1 each SAM Splint Splint broken bone
1 each C - Splint Splint broken bone
1 pair Scissors - offset safety type
2 each Hemostat Medical Clamp, small
2 each Hemostat Medical Clamp, medium
8 each Safety Pin
2 each Needle Tick & Sliver removal
2 each Tweezers Tick & Sliver removal
4 pair Gloves, sterile (8 gloves) General Cleanliness
1 set First Aid Quick Reference Cards Quick Reference - what to do
1 each Container Large enough to hold contents

Someone above has already mentioned that all this stuff is no good if you don't know how to use it.

Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by MidBore338
Ok folks...need a little advice. I need a decent first aid kit for hunting, backpacking, and just being outdoors in remote country. A lot of options out there...but it seems many have a bunch of stuff you don't need like CPR masks etc. Any solid choices that are not crazy expensive? It will be going in a bigger bag...

I know what you mean.
Sometime this spring i plan to build a new kit.

The thing that I might need may be different from your needs. I will think about the activities that will be common. Then I will make a list.
Lastly, I'll buy exactly what I want and only the best quality. That will put me further ahead for practical potential needs as well as save a lot of money. The quality will be there too. The only drawback is the time to put it all together. I see it as the difference between fast food and a good home cooked meal after going to the farmer's market.

The case for it is whatever you have already. If you want a blaze orange, there's always sales on a cheap vest or the fabric store.

Best regards,

HC
The old Boy Scout gag, "Put a tourniquet around his neck". laugh
The old Boy Scout gag, "Put a tourniquet around his neck". laugh

Will definitely stop all the bleeding. LOL
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
KC gives a pretty good list. I would add locking hemostats. Squirting arteries can be slippery little bastards. But once clamped, they can be controlled.

I am sure that most here are First Aid trained, and know about tourniquets and the dangers thereof.

1a: Use of a tourniquet will "sacrifice the limb to save the life". Most times, a pressure bandage coupled with pressure upon the "pulse point" will minimize bleeding without cost of the limb. Clot powder or clotting bandages will be of assistance.

2: Once applied, NEVER, Never loosen a tourniquet before arrival at the ER. Let ER Dr do it.

Tourniquets are an absolute last course attempt used after all else fails in an attempt to save a life. Do not make the decision to use one lightly.

Idaho Shooter:

I was taught the same things as you and that, at least for me, was a long time ago.

I recently had the opportunity to listen to a presentation by a trauma surgeon who learned his trade in Iraq. I got to ask some questions and he told us that strategies have changed. We participated in a hands-on seminar on how to administer a tourniquet and how to pack a wound to prevent internal bleeding. This is what he said.
#1 You have to know how to pack a wound to stop internal bleeding.
#2 Put a tourniquet on and it can stay put for up to four hours without losing the limb.
#3 He was a combat zone surgeon and the goal of the medics and chopper pilots is to get the patient to the M.A.S.H. unit ASAP. If you can do that, then even the most seriously wounded can be saved.

Now take into consideration that he was in a combat zone and one could reasonably expect emergency transportation to arrive in a timely manner. So one has to analyze the current situation to determine if what he said applies.
Thanks KC. I am sure your advice is more current than mine. And is ultimately appropriate when immediate transport is available.

I was first aid certified in 1974, when American Red Cross still trained in tracheotomies and other real trauma needs.

Then I stayed certified for about thirty five years. The last ten years of which was instructions on use of cell phone. LOL. Since then, we have only CPR certified.

Back in '74, we were told to loosen the tourniquet every four hours. Later classes said never loosen the tourniquet as chances were that you would not subsequently be able to stop the bleeding, and the limb was lost anyway.

While I have been happy to have the training and will to use it. The truth is, fortunately, almost all of my first aid ministrations involving blood loss has been with four legged critters.

A hunting buddy nearly excised his second finger at the first joint using a knife in a stupid manner while dressing an elk. We dressed it with strips torn from his daughter's flannel shirt and stopped the blood flow.

We were six hours from camp and still had to get the elk on the horses. Plus we had another bull to retrieve the next day. A before daylight to well after dark venture.

I had a proper first aid kit in the camper and dressed the wound properly that night. Unfortunately, the only antibiotic available was Neosporin, but it turned out to be enough.

Of course, if the injury had been life threatening, the elk would have been left to the ravens and coyotes. But we were still seven or eight hours from phone service.

As it turned out, the blade missed the tendons, and the darned guy never even went in for stitches when we got home. But he has a hell of a lump on the side of that finger ten years later, that he should not have.

Fortunately the vast majority of first aid needs, not involving serious thoracic or abdominal trauma, can usually be addressed with kit on hand. A shredded shirt as bandage, magazines or branches as splints, foil or plastic wrap (sandwich baggie) to seal a sucking chest wound.

One should not throw hands in air and give up in an emergency simply because he does not have a "professional grade trauma kit" on hand.
Posted By: MikeJinVT Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Tag for some very good info.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Most of the smaller commercial kits will say something like '120 pieces'. If you count the pieces, 90 will be bandaids, alcohol wipes, and Tylenol.

One thing that can be very handy is large alcohol wipes. Not the little 1x2" ones but big ones, 3x4 or larger. Real alcohol, not some other sterilant. Use them for poison ivy/oak/sumac. The alcohol will take the oil right off if you use it before your skin comes off. Liquid alcohol works, too, but the wipes are easier to carry. I've seen this in action and it works.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
First aid kits are always a work in progress!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Make your own.

What is likely to happen to you--- cuts, snakebite, injury from a fall, thorns ?

Include tape ( duct and medical), bandages, scissors, tweezer, blood stop, ointment, etc.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
I've struggled with equipping a first aid kit every year. The kit needs to be broad enough to cover emergencies in all your activities. I off-road motorcycle so pain management is a priority. At the same time camping, drunk camping is involved so bug bites, bees poison ivy burns, and hangover care is needed. I don't think you can go wrong with a big kit.
Like, WC Fields, a small flash in case of a snake bite, also a small snake. laugh

I mentioned forceps, not sure I mentioned Kelly-type locking ones. They will help to suture (which I did not include in my recs as people need to be trained to it). FAKs are for stabilization outside hospitals, or prevention going to one.
Most small cuts that need sutures, can be sutured up to 10-12h later if clean (different ones maybe be shorter/longer).
I am experienced placing sutures, but when my 4yo sliced his nose open away from civilization, I controlled bleeding and took him to the ER where a pediatrics plastic surgeon fixed his nose. Had it been a leg, arm or other place, I would have sutured him and saved the drive and ER wait times and anxiety.

The major thing is what do you want it for - and act accordingly (which includes training in how to use the stuff in there)
One things is slicing your finger with the camp knife and applying glue/steritrips/sutures a very different thing is a penetrating wound with large vessel injury that requires vascular repair/compression and med-evac

As expensive as they are CAT tourniquets are really good for releasing/time stamping, and depending on location, these bolded recommendations are good, unless you are trained in tourniquet use and have access to IV fluids and such, for volume reposition.
What about a stapler?
For an idea these are websites that can give you ideas and access to products which you may want.

My Medic supplies
North American Rescue

The kits look cool, but you can put something tailored for your needs for either much cheaper, or same price and better quality, as we have said previously.
Originally Posted by Sponxx
For an idea these are websites that can give you ideas and access to products which you may want.

My Medic supplies
North American Rescue

The kits look cool, but you can put something tailored for your needs for either much cheaper, or same price and better quality, as we have said previously.

Good advice on the sources. I bought 12 large kits for my gun club. Each range has kit with millitary level rescue supplies.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
What about a stapler?

A lot of people have one in their kits. You can buy one for about $15 to 20. I've never used one. Are there any tricks to using one that we should know about?
Posted By: OGB Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
I was not and will never claim to be a medic. I was an 18C not an 18D. We did, however cross train a lot and I assisted our medics a fair amount in real world trauma situations. Based on modern combat trauma training, think hemorrhage control. I too was taught that tourniquets were a last resort...…. in 1989. The previously taught notion that "the minute you apply a tourniquet, you loose the limb" is patently false. Any down side to it's use is far out weighed by saving a life and the chances of limb loss is almost zero. If it is left on for days then yes, it will be detrimental, other then that, don't worry about it. Other important items to me are coban (it comes in a role, stretches and adheres to itself) and curlex (essentially a role of sterile gauze). These items, plus some form of quick clot will cover most hemorrhage control situations. All other items previously mentioned are great too. Remember, there is a difference between life saving measures and "booboo control" and you have to carry it. I would go the build it yourself route. Local pharmacies have a good selection of useful items that are economical.

Whatever you pack, make sure it includes a cool head and knowledge.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
FIRST, do no harm. If you seek out decent training you will be able to answer your own questions. You can purchase stuff but not competence. In 24 years of working as a combat medic, paramedic and PA I used a tourniquet once outside of a warzone and never clamped an artery outside of surgery or an ER. Wound closure beyond steri strips can cause more harm than good if done w/out understanding the pitfalls. Sutures and staples work well when done after proper assessment and cleaning.

There is a tremendous amount of good info available and You Tube will give you a good start in visualizing what you need to know and practice.

Pro tip, a decent headlamp is essential.

mike r
Posted By: shaman Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Please don't construe anything I write here as advice, just to add to the discussion. I'm only giving you the advice I got over the years that I was adventuring. A good bit of it was as a caver and a good bit of it was for situations underground where keeping your kit to a minimum was essential if not existential. I also backpacked and canoed for 30 years before age caught up with me.

1) Forget suturing. If it's that deep, your big worry is sepsis.
2) Tourniquet? Expect to lose the limb if it is that bad and you're that far out. Use pressure wherever possible
3) "Fortunately the vast majority of first aid needs, not involving serious thoracic or abdominal trauma, can usually be addressed with kit on hand. A shredded shirt as bandage, magazines or branches as splints, foil or plastic wrap (sandwich baggie) to seal a sucking chest wound." -- This. +1
4) Buddies get out. Loners end up as mulch.
5) Staying warm and dry is always Job 1. Hypothermia is always a possibility. Carry a large plastic leaf bag and some plumbers candles and learn how to use them. I've seen this save lives above ground as well as below.
6) Shock kills. Apply your emergency blanket before you need it.
7) If there is any injury or malady that gets you asking: "Should I keep going?" It is already becoming too late. Get out.

Fortunately, I only actually had to follow this advice a couple of times. I got concussed once underground. I had a couple bouts of hypothermia. I had to turn around once on a backpacking trip and wobble out on one leg. I had sepsis in my hand once. Overall, I stayed safe, so don't count on me as being experienced in first aid kit assembly.

I will say that the absolute best thing I've had to go to over the years is the tube of triple-antibiotic salve with anesthetic. That's helped many times. The other thing that's helped is having a Swiss Army Knife with a small blade that I could use as a scalpel-- that and the tweezers have been really helpful in things like nasty splinters. I also can't count the number of Ibuprofen I've sucked down on the trail.

Always leave word with someone where you'll be and when you're due out. Always set a time when you've either called in or they need to call someone. Always give the number ahead of time. It may be the local sheriff or somebody else. However, make sure they know what they are doing. As a caver, we never got 911 involved. We had an 800 number to call for underground emergencies and that number brought in a team standing by with a plane that was prepared for it. Whatever the situation, know who to call and tell your ground crew.
Posted By: Reba Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Remember it is a First Aid Kit. You don't need a bunch of band aids and iodine for boo boos

Put together your own and chances are you will know how to use what is in it.

Remember non-stick bandages and vet wrap. I would include ibuprofen tylenol and antihistamine.

Flush open wounds with clear clean water.

Learn how to use a tourniquet properly!!!!!

Take a first aid class with NOLS I believe the classes are called Wilderness Medicine.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21

But only on the left side, dat’s the Crip’s side.
Posted By: killerv Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
The stopthebleed org kits are pretty nice

We had a medic come and show us different techniques and situations, etc. When to use tournequets, or pack wounds etc. In case you are doing doing your own medical care until help arrives.

https://www.stopthebleed.org/shop-kit-tourniquet
Originally Posted by shaman
Please don't construe anything I write here as advice, just to add to the discussion. I'm only giving you the advice I got over the years that I was adventuring. A good bit of it was as a caver and a good bit of it was for situations underground where keeping your kit to a minimum was essential if not existential. I also backpacked and canoed for 30 years before age caught up with me.

1) Forget suturing. If it's that deep, your big worry is sepsis.
2) Tourniquet? Expect to lose the limb if it is that bad and you're that far out. Use pressure wherever possible
3) "Fortunately the vast majority of first aid needs, not involving serious thoracic or abdominal trauma, can usually be addressed with kit on hand. A shredded shirt as bandage, magazines or branches as splints, foil or plastic wrap (sandwich baggie) to seal a sucking chest wound." -- This. +1
4) Buddies get out. Loners end up as mulch.
5) Staying warm and dry is always Job 1. Hypothermia is always a possibility. Carry a large plastic leaf bag and some plumbers candles and learn how to use them. I've seen this save lives above ground as well as below.
6) Shock kills. Apply your emergency blanket before you need it.
7) If there is any injury or malady that gets you asking: "Should I keep going?" It is already becoming too late. Get out.

That is excellent advice.

Sutures: I do not even attempt sutures on livestock. I call a vet. But steri-strips are a staple at the house and in the field.

Emergency treatment of shock is something that many fail to adequately prepare for. Blankets, plastic sheeting, and fire starters are of paramount need when serious injury presents.

A horse accident separated a couple of my short ribs in the wilderness. It was Fourth of July in beautiful warm conditions. But I got knocked into an icy cold stream and soaked.

Fortunately we were horse packing, instead of back packing, and we were carrying about 400 lb of supplies. Lots of room there to include emergency items.

Bottom line, the cold and pain made me shocky as hell. I had lots of dry clothes and a good sleeping bag available to crawl into while the teenage boys made camp and cooked dinner.

The only thing I might add to this discussion is that there is a time for self rescue, and there is a time for sending your companion out to call in an air ambulance. It is important to recognize the difference.
A SAT phone, spot and Air Rescue policy is required when taking on dangerous activitys in 3rd world countries.
Posted By: shaman Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21

That is excellent advice.

I appreciate your appreciation, sir.

I admit I have gone slack. My last backpack trip was over a decade ago. The last time I went done the hole was still in the Regan administration. My farm is 10 miles from a CVS pharmacy and 63 miles to the nearest hospital. I just found out aircare is free in this county. They will fly my ass all the way to Cincinnati if I ask them. The one helo has a trauma surgeon on board. All I need to do is keep a cell signal.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Take a Stop The Bleed class and you will walk out with a basic kit and the knowledge to use it. Build a kit from there.
For those not so fortunate as to have free air ambulance available: I have mentioned before, Our local air ambulance service offers "membership" at $45 per year.

Basically it is a charitable donation with the side benefit that any air rescue and some ground transport is free of charges above insurance for members.

Many locations have similar plans available. It is a bargain, even if you never use it.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Wound Seal is a must have for me, KC has it on his list as "Quick Clot Stop Bleeding"

Pretty commonly found at the major drug stores or online

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Posted By: smarquez Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21

The U.S. military studies show up to 2 hours without amputation risk. Of course the military is always in contact so quick evac and treatment is always available. So loss the of a limb to a tourniquet is not absolute.
If you have one TQ, you're going to need 2. Get the proper training for tourniquet use. I see quite a few vids on Youtube where a person is shot and they go straight to a tourniquet. People seem to forget their basic first aid and don't even assess the injury.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by MM879
A SAT phone, spot and Air Rescue policy is required when taking on dangerous activitys in 3rd world countries.

This first and foremost if you are really going deep. It's no different than learning CPR. The first step is to call 911. I had a friend fall off about a 30' drop, did a bounce or two on his way down, while doing astro photography. He had a Garmin In Reach and he's sure it saved his life. He remembers hitting the emergency button and then came too 45 minutes later when a sheriffs dep found him.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Decent first aid kit - 04/16/21
I have a kit that I've added additional stuff to but I like these bleederPak kits to keep as well. They keep a few important items for controlling serious bleeding together, take up very little room and they're also 20% off right now. Imo, a pretty good deal at under $35. I'd be interested to hear the opinion of some that are very experienced regarding this kit as an addition or even keeping in your vehicle

https://www.chinookmed.com/01398/chinook-bleederpak.html
© 24hourcampfire