Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The stopthebleed org kits are pretty nice

We had a medic come and show us different techniques and situations, etc. When to use tournequets, or pack wounds etc. In case you are doing doing your own medical care until help arrives.

https://www.stopthebleed.org/shop-kit-tourniquet

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by shaman
Please don't construe anything I write here as advice, just to add to the discussion. I'm only giving you the advice I got over the years that I was adventuring. A good bit of it was as a caver and a good bit of it was for situations underground where keeping your kit to a minimum was essential if not existential. I also backpacked and canoed for 30 years before age caught up with me.

1) Forget suturing. If it's that deep, your big worry is sepsis.
2) Tourniquet? Expect to lose the limb if it is that bad and you're that far out. Use pressure wherever possible
3) "Fortunately the vast majority of first aid needs, not involving serious thoracic or abdominal trauma, can usually be addressed with kit on hand. A shredded shirt as bandage, magazines or branches as splints, foil or plastic wrap (sandwich baggie) to seal a sucking chest wound." -- This. +1
4) Buddies get out. Loners end up as mulch.
5) Staying warm and dry is always Job 1. Hypothermia is always a possibility. Carry a large plastic leaf bag and some plumbers candles and learn how to use them. I've seen this save lives above ground as well as below.
6) Shock kills. Apply your emergency blanket before you need it.
7) If there is any injury or malady that gets you asking: "Should I keep going?" It is already becoming too late. Get out.

That is excellent advice.

Sutures: I do not even attempt sutures on livestock. I call a vet. But steri-strips are a staple at the house and in the field.

Emergency treatment of shock is something that many fail to adequately prepare for. Blankets, plastic sheeting, and fire starters are of paramount need when serious injury presents.

A horse accident separated a couple of my short ribs in the wilderness. It was Fourth of July in beautiful warm conditions. But I got knocked into an icy cold stream and soaked.

Fortunately we were horse packing, instead of back packing, and we were carrying about 400 lb of supplies. Lots of room there to include emergency items.

Bottom line, the cold and pain made me shocky as hell. I had lots of dry clothes and a good sleeping bag available to crawl into while the teenage boys made camp and cooked dinner.

The only thing I might add to this discussion is that there is a time for self rescue, and there is a time for sending your companion out to call in an air ambulance. It is important to recognize the difference.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A SAT phone, spot and Air Rescue policy is required when taking on dangerous activitys in 3rd world countries.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

That is excellent advice.

I appreciate your appreciation, sir.

I admit I have gone slack. My last backpack trip was over a decade ago. The last time I went done the hole was still in the Regan administration. My farm is 10 miles from a CVS pharmacy and 63 miles to the nearest hospital. I just found out aircare is free in this county. They will fly my ass all the way to Cincinnati if I ask them. The one helo has a trauma surgeon on board. All I need to do is keep a cell signal.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a Stop The Bleed class and you will walk out with a basic kit and the knowledge to use it. Build a kit from there.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
For those not so fortunate as to have free air ambulance available: I have mentioned before, Our local air ambulance service offers "membership" at $45 per year.

Basically it is a charitable donation with the side benefit that any air rescue and some ground transport is free of charges above insurance for members.

Many locations have similar plans available. It is a bargain, even if you never use it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wound Seal is a must have for me, KC has it on his list as "Quick Clot Stop Bleeding"

Pretty commonly found at the major drug stores or online

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
KC gives a pretty good list. I would add locking hemostats. Squirting arteries can be slippery little bastards. But once clamped, they can be controlled.

I am sure that most here are First Aid trained, and know about tourniquets and the dangers thereof.

For the one or two who might not.

1a: Use of a tourniquet will "sacrifice the limb to save the life". Most times, a pressure bandage coupled with pressure upon the "pulse point" will minimize bleeding without cost of the limb. Clot powder or clotting bandages will be of assistance.

1b: Assume all tissue below the tourniquet will have to be cut off.

2: Once applied, NEVER, Never loosen a tourniquet before arrival at the ER. Let ER Dr do it.

3: tag the tourniquet with date and time of application.

Tourniquets are an absolute last course attempt used after all else fails in an attempt to save a life. Do not make the decision to use one lightly.

The U.S. military studies show up to 2 hours without amputation risk. Of course the military is always in contact so quick evac and treatment is always available. So loss the of a limb to a tourniquet is not absolute.
If you have one TQ, you're going to need 2. Get the proper training for tourniquet use. I see quite a few vids on Youtube where a person is shot and they go straight to a tourniquet. People seem to forget their basic first aid and don't even assess the injury.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MM879
A SAT phone, spot and Air Rescue policy is required when taking on dangerous activitys in 3rd world countries.

This first and foremost if you are really going deep. It's no different than learning CPR. The first step is to call 911. I had a friend fall off about a 30' drop, did a bounce or two on his way down, while doing astro photography. He had a Garmin In Reach and he's sure it saved his life. He remembers hitting the emergency button and then came too 45 minutes later when a sheriffs dep found him.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a kit that I've added additional stuff to but I like these bleederPak kits to keep as well. They keep a few important items for controlling serious bleeding together, take up very little room and they're also 20% off right now. Imo, a pretty good deal at under $35. I'd be interested to hear the opinion of some that are very experienced regarding this kit as an addition or even keeping in your vehicle

https://www.chinookmed.com/01398/chinook-bleederpak.html

Last edited by TxHunter80; 04/16/21.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,031
Posts18,500,564
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.