Home
Posted By: pahick Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Just got back from an ultrasound. I watched the screen and thought I saw 2, but I only saw the sonographer mark 1. Now the wait for the radiologist to read and send results to the doc.

Anyone else go through this?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Hope it's not too serious.
Posted By: pahick Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Thanks. Part of me is worried, other part says if its cancerous this is the cancer to get. Most people have no issues from what I read. But ya never know huh?
Posted By: ModelT Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Do you have silver amalgam dental fillings? I read an article in Mother Earth news about that.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
I had an autonomously functioning thyroid nodule (AFTN) after having a severe bout of typhoid. I was in a bad way. Once diagnosed I was given a dose of radioactive iodine and was emitting gamma radiation for two days. Five days out and I started to feel well and haven’t had a problem since.

Im not sure if this is the problem you are describing?

Hope you get it fixed soon.
Originally Posted by ModelT
Do you have silver amalgam dental fillings? I read an article in Mother Earth news about that.

Nah, missing a few back ones but the rest are all natural.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by pahick

Thanks. Part of me is worried, other part says if its cancerous this is the cancer to get. Most people have no issues from what I read. But ya never know huh?

I've already had kidney cancer and skin cancer. You can get through this I bet.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
1990 thyroid gland swelled up to the size of a horse. Lost 65 lbs over 4 months. Docs tried a variety of medications to get it under control nothing really worked. Determined non-cancerous. Radioactive iodine ablation. Took a few months for the goiter to go away. Then almost a year before thyroid levels fell low enough to require supplemental thyroxine. Took almost whole year after that to adjust dosage correctly. Yearly full panel and Synthroid daily for 30 years.

Still here.
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I had an autonomously functioning thyroid nodule (AFTN) after having a severe bout of typhoid. I was in a bad way. Once diagnosed I was given a dose of radioactive iodine and was emitting gamma radiation for two days. Five days out and I started to feel well and haven’t had a problem since.

I have Hashimotos Disease. Its an autoimmune disease where basically your body slowly kills off your thyroid. Kind of a mind fugg cause when it swells then shrinks it usually releases hormone through your system....roller coaster hypo/hyper....but its slowly dying. Due to some symptoms I asked the doc to increase my levothyroxine to 125mcg but he thought he felt a small lump and sent me for the ultrasound.

I've already had kidney cancer and skin cancer. You can get through this I bet.

Pretty sure I will. Glad I didnt have the kidney like you though, geez. Glad your ok now.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
1990 thyroid gland swelled up to the size of a horse. Lost 65 lbs over 4 months. Docs tried a variety of medications to get it under control nothing really worked. Determined non-cancerous. Radioactive iodine ablation. Took a few months for the goiter to go away. Then almost a year before thyroid levels fell low enough to require supplemental thyroxine. Took almost whole year after that to adjust dosage correctly. Yearly full panel and Synthroid daily for 30 years.

Still here.

Geez glad mine doesnt swell like that. I get days where it swells enough to make it harder to swallow, and I get a schit ton of symptoms from thyroid hormone dump(anxiety, lethargy, insomnia, etc etc). I been on levothyroxine since 2014. At 100mcg right now.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
On 112 mcg levothyroxine. Just diagnosed as hypothyroidism thus far. Runs on Mom’s side. Happened back in 2010. Didn’t know what was wrong with me. Mood swings, depression, lethargy.
As with all things, diet and exercise help.
Not had any cancer scares yet.
Originally Posted by Potsy
On 112 mcg levothyroxine. Just diagnosed as hypothyroidism thus far. Runs on Mom’s side. Happened back in 2010. Didn’t know what was wrong with me. Mood swings, depression, lethargy.
As with all things, diet and exercise help.
Not had any cancer scares yet.

Did you ever have TPO, TgAB or TSi antibodies tested for Hashimotos or Graves?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Hang tough buddy. That was the sickest 12 months of my life. I had just gotten married and the wife was pregnant with our first child. Needles to say I was scared chitless I was gonna die and not see my baby girl born.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Hang tough buddy. That was the sickest 12 months of my life. I had just gotten married and the wife was pregnant with our first child. Needles to say I was scared chitless I was gonna die and not see my baby girl born.

Appreciate it. I already had the freak out episode years ago when I first got diagnosed with Hashimotos and Lyme. Almost stabbed a fire hydrant laugh

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5048/i-think-yall-were-right#Post9235048
Posted By: Kaiser Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Yes.
Twenty five years ago now, my ultrasound show four nodules, one of them just under five mm. Five mm it's automatic removal. Rolled the dice and elected not to have my thyroid -twice as big as a normal one- out. Not suggesting you should do the same. I've had four biopsys all negative. I monitor it once a year and hope for the best. I've had all this time with a normal thyroid although large one, without medicines.

Gary
Posted By: hanco Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
I had half of mine removed ten years ago, no cancerous growth. The other half still doing it’s thing. Good luck
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
I was in downtown NYC on 9/11 and worked on the clean-up for 8 years. I was back in the city on 9/13. I've been having issues with my throat ever since 9/11. I called the 9/11 Doc at Robert wood Johnson Medical and she ordered an ultrasound looking for nodules, my thyroid is slightly swollen, I'm getting worried.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Just got back from an ultrasound. I watched the screen and thought I saw 2, but I only saw the sonographer mark 1. Now the wait for the radiologist to read and send results to the doc.

Anyone else go through this?

A little information is dangerous. It can be hurtful. Wait for the full diagnosis.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Oh yeah, but the ultra-sound may not determine if the nodule is cancerous. You would need a cat-scan with contrast and if the tumor is too small it may still be inconclusive. A biopsy is the only sure method which is what I ended up needing. Diagnosis was papillary carcinoma, the most common type of thyroid cancer. My DIL is a cancer nurse and she told me that if she had to get a cancer that would be it. The American Cancer Society shows its survival rate approaches 100%, so try not to stress too much about it.

The surgery wasn’t bad and neither was the radioactive iodine treatment, except you can’t eat anything with iodine for two weeks and turns out that almost everything that tastes good contains iodine.
Did they do a biopsy? That was fun, big long needle stuck in your throat. Try ran a scope down my nose to check my vocal cords. Mine was almost as big as a ping pong ball.
I didnt get a biopsy. Just got results on my phone....

Study Result
Impression
Heterogeneous thyroid gland with solid subcentimeter left thyroid nodule.

Ultrasound follow-up in 12-24 months recommended.

FINDINGS:
RIGHT LOBE: 4.2 x 2.0 x 1.8 cm
Heterogeneous echotexture without dominant or discrete nodule. Normal color flow.

LEFT LOBE: 3.2 x 1.5 x 1.3 cm
Heterogeneous echotexture.
Nodule 1: Solid isoechoic 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.5 cm lower lobe.
Normal color flow.

ISTHMUS: 0.4 cm in thickness.
No solid or cystic nodule.

LATERAL NECK:
No suspicious lymphadenopathy.

Soooo, guessin its nothin to worry bout.
I didnt get a biopsy. Just got results on my phone....

Study Result
Impression
Heterogeneous thyroid gland with solid subcentimeter left thyroid nodule.

Ultrasound follow-up in 12-24 months recommended.

FINDINGS:
RIGHT LOBE: 4.2 x 2.0 x 1.8 cm
Heterogeneous echotexture without dominant or discrete nodule. Normal color flow.

LEFT LOBE: 3.2 x 1.5 x 1.3 cm
Heterogeneous echotexture.
Nodule 1: Solid isoechoic 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.5 cm lower lobe.
Normal color flow.

ISTHMUS: 0.4 cm in thickness.
No solid or cystic nodule.

LATERAL NECK:
No suspicious lymphadenopathy.

Soooo, guessin its nothin to worry bout.

Good! I’m glad for you. One less thing to worry about.
Originally Posted by hanco

Good! I’m glad for you. One less thing to worry about.

You got that right! Appreciate it!
Posted By: Terryk Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
There are 4 basic types of thyroid cancer. Two most common are really very very treatable.
Glad you are better. Stay up on the tests. Good luck.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Thyroid Nodules - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Lowyers do amazing things nowadays dont they.

I had back sx yesterday on 2 vertebra that i broke years ago trying to pull a big muley up in the bed of my truck hunting alone. They never healed as they were in an area that flexes a lot when screwing around. shocked

Neurologist said the inflammation in the vertebra was causing it to degenerate and he was afraid it coud break bad.

Put under mild monitor anesthesia for the sx, I later remarked to the Doc the pounding on my spine with hammer and chisel to open a hole to fill the vertebra with glue was really jarring my kidneys but there was no real pain so i guess they knocked me out to shut me up.

4 hours later my wife picked me up, drove around the corner and i climed the stairs in the parking garage to the second floor, got in my truck and beat my wife home.

Enjoyed the fire, dinner, wine and Hannity last night. Pain free.

Thank you Father in Heaven.

Lowyers are so wonderful these days.
© 24hourcampfire