Home
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Is this Marxism from the top down?

After running the dog each morning, I usually stop by the local grocery store--a regional chain of +/-40 stores--for things I'll make for supper that day. A couple weeks ago, they had signs on the self checkout "only accepting credit/debit cards". When asked, their explanation was "Running short on change". This morning, I walk over to the regular checkout. Same thing, "we're only accepting personal checks or credit cards". So, I hand over my basket and go a mile out of my way to Wal-Mart.

Are grocery stores, or any stores, in your area doing this same thing?
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I've heard that the Wally World here recently went self checkout only.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I have not seen that yet, but it will be showing up more and more. Credit cards and checks can be handled by computer. Cash has to be counted and taken to the bank by a person. And it has to be an honest person or there can be some "shrinkage".

Jerry
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Bible prophecy is quickly being fulfilled once again.

The powers that shouldn't be want a block chain system with their personal control connected to the verification mark that bill gates is invested in at the sell of Microsoft.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
For a short time a few stores here weren't taking cash at automated checkouts. They're all back to normal now as far as I know. Home depot has some card only machines but they also have cash machines if you want one.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Thrityfive years back, motels had some many desk clerks they would tale only cards, checks bounce, cash walks away.
Posted By: vapodog Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
cash is LEGAL TENDER......It was my impression that they MUST accept it.
Posted By: hanco Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Haven’t seen it yet down here.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
The wally world super center near us usually has only 2 checkout staffed, but you can use cash at self checkout
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by vapodog
cash is LEGAL TENDER......It was my impression that they MUST accept it.

No Federal requirement.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

They need to come up with a way to make clerks count back change when a credit card is used.
Posted By: slumlord Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I worked for a real estate company in the rental dept they didn’t accept cash for rent

The manager told me day one it was so groids wouldn’t rob the place.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I remember 30 years ago my father tried to pay a hotel bill in cash and they gave him a hard time about it then. He got his first and only credit card not long after that.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Cuba too

https://www.rt.com/business/526403-cuba-tourists-no-dollar-cash/
Posted By: JimFromTN Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
I worked for a real estate company in the rental dept they didn’t accept cash for rent

Most of the time its because they don't trust their employees
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I remember 30 years ago my father tried to pay a hotel bill in cash and they gave him a hard time about it then. He got his first and only credit card not long after that.

The motel chains that won't take cash payment, I think because they want to be able to change whatever they decide to charge.....for instance there may be a claim for damages or stolen towels. I really wish they'd just do quick exit inspections instead. Not everyone uses CCs.
Posted By: funshooter Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Our stores in my area were running low on small bills and change.
They would put signs in their windows saying Exact Change only and Please give us all the Change you have.
They never stopped accepting cash.
Originally Posted by JimFromTN

Most of the time its because they don't trust their employees

And yes, that too
Posted By: EdM Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Why use cash?
Posted By: high_country_ Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
People have more restraint when handing out cash as they physically watch their pile shrink.....cards mean nothing to them.

That’s in case Ian St.Ian comes to your hotel room to party and sets the curtains on fire or tosses the philco out into the parking lot
Posted By: Valsdad Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I try to avoid the self check places. Makes sense that they would want to go cashless. No need to empty the machine, no risk of good counterfits getting through, and for all I know they've invested in the card reader companies and make something off each purchase at 4% or whatever the rate is now.
Posted By: Redneck Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter

After running the dog each morning, I usually stop by the local grocery store--a regional chain of +/-40 stores--for things I'll make for supper that day. A couple weeks ago, they had signs on the self checkout "only accepting credit/debit cards". When asked, their explanation was "Running short on change". This morning, I walk over to the regular checkout. Same thing, "we're only accepting personal checks or credit cards". So, I hand over my basket and go a mile out of my way to Wal-Mart.

Not yet..

You can pay in cash, BUT you will be required to have a valid CC number(s) left with them in case there's any theft and/or damage to the room etc.. Been that way for many, many years now..

Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Local grocery store removed two of their four checkout lanes and installed four self-checkout lanes to better utilize that space.. They always have one staffer handy to help those who have troubles with those and also to wipe them down after each use.. Even as tech-lacking as I am, I got used to those fairly quickly and use them 90% of the time..

Originally Posted by EdM
Why use cash?
Why not?
Love the self checkout

Don’t have to worry about my ice cream melting while some fuggin nubian buffalo is off-loading her monthly EBT stipend onto the conveyor

I can be in/out and bounce nicca!!

And NOW...our Dollar General has a one-holer self checkout. Sweeeet!!!
Don’t have to stand be smelly piss soaked Cat Lady or the goddamm marlboro man
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
A few bad checks ought to cure that...
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Growing up my sister worked as a cashier at a local grocery store. At the end of every shift the manager would have to review the $ that "should" be in the register with the $ that "was" in the register for every cashier before they could change to the next cashier. My sister said it was always a circus...right in the middle of counting someone would need the manager's help, or a phone call, etc....then they would have to start over with the counting. Any miscount and they'd have to start again to make sure the miscount was a true miscount.

Credit cards are easy for a business.
Love the self checkout

Don’t have to worry about my ice cream melting while some fuggin nubian buffalo is off-loading her monthly EBT stipend onto the conveyor

You're not a big help around here some days you know.

Supporting a commie agenda and all that.

CASH................it's the American way..................especially when paid to an honest to goodness Worker, not a machine!

Get with the program fella. If you're worried about you Blue Bunny......................reach to the back of the freezer case and get one that's frozen hard. Less chance of one having been licked that way too.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Growing up my sister worked as a cashier at a local grocery store. At the end of every shift the manager would have to review the $ that "should" be in the register with the $ that "was" in the register for every cashier before they could change to the next cashier. My sister said it was always a circus...right in the middle of counting someone would need the manager's help, or a phone call, etc....then they would have to start over with the counting. Any miscount and they'd have to start again to make sure the miscount was a true miscount.

All that is true.

If they were passing the savings on to us consumers, rather than adding it to their bottom line, it might be tolerable. Odds are they're not, as a better bottom line is good for business too.

And, while cars are easy for a business, I personally prefer not having my every purchase traceable. By anyone.
Posted By: arkypete Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Having owned my own retail business for several decades I like cash and credit/debit cards for the simple reason I don't have to waste time and gas driving to the bank to deposit them. There is the idea, that if there is no cash in the business and people know it there will no armed robberies..
Posted By: hookeye Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
And George Floyd would still be alive if he didnt try using

" cash "......
Posted By: smallfry Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

We went to our local Walmart the other day. It was busier than all get out and no one was manning the checkout but one person. Wife asked him what the deal was. He was the manager and said he had only 8 people in the entire store including himself. He said no one wants to work. He said Walmart had been testing self checkout only but it hasn’t been going well and they prob won’t go down that road. He also mentioned that they were going to advertise a high starting wage June 19, the day unemployment benefits run out.
Posted By: coobie Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Bible prophecy is quickly being fulfilled once again.

The powers that shouldn't be want a block chain system with their personal control connected to the verification mark that bill gates is invested in at the sell of Microsoft.
OMG !! Knock off the ARMAGEDDON bible chit already..Ya the world is coming to an end no chit Sherlock been happening it for quite some time.I pay cash when I buy stuff if they don't take cash pi$$ on them.Only use a CC when I absolutely have to..

crazy
Posted By: deflave Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I use cash almost exclusively. The places that say they can’t make change are always lying. They’ll take cash.

There are exceptions (storage lots, tow companies, etc.)
Posted By: Redneck Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All that is true.

If they were passing the savings on to us consumers, rather than adding it to their bottom line, it might be tolerable.
They really have no choice - percentages charged for CC use can be anywhere from 3-7%..

When I was in the car biz, and the prices began to get really high, some customers wanted to pay for the whole car with a CC... Dealers finally had to limit CC down payments to a maximum of (where I worked) $1500.. Problem is, the sales people at times did not ask the customer how he was gonna pay for the car.. I had one guy in with his kid - bought a Buick Park Avenue and (I'm sure to impress his son) handed me an AMEX card to pay the roughly 25 grand for the total.. I had to tell him that the most I could accept was $1500.. He wasn't happy, needless to say. Probably tied to a few million flyer miles.. I brought the sales manager in to also explain to the guy that there simply was not anywhere near enough profit in the sale to take the CC hit.. The guy said that the BMW dealer where he bought the last car had no trouble with that. We gently informed him that it should be a clue as to what he REALLY paid for that car.. laugh laugh

He walked out - and the sales manager had a leeeetle talk with the sales people that day..
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

I think there might be an engineered change shortage with the idea being to discourage the use of cash.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
We have grocery stores called winco that only take cash or debit cards. They won't take credit cards.

There's a restaurant in Idaho Falls that will only take cash. No credit cards at all. It's a sit down place that's fairly expensive too. My brother said it's because the owners are far left democrats that are too cheap to pay 3% card processor fees. I said to him if they're far left its so they can only report part of their income and cheat on their taxes.

Bb
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All that is true.

If they were passing the savings on to us consumers, rather than adding it to their bottom line, it might be tolerable.
They really have no choice - percentages charged for CC use can be anywhere from 3-7%..

When I was in the car biz, and the prices began to get really high, some customers wanted to pay for the whole car with a CC... Dealers finally had to limit CC down payments to a maximum of (where I worked) $1500.. Problem is, the sales people at times did not ask the customer how he was gonna pay for the car.. I had one guy in with his kid - bought a Buick Park Avenue and (I'm sure to impress his son) handed me an AMEX card to pay the roughly 25 grand for the total.. I had to tell him that the most I could accept was $1500.. He wasn't happy, needless to say. Probably tied to a few million flyer miles.. I brought the sales manager in to also explain to the guy that there simply was not anywhere near enough profit in the sale to take the CC hit.. The guy said that the BMW dealer where he bought the last car had no trouble with that. We gently informed him that it should be a clue as to what he REALLY paid for that car.. laugh laugh

He walked out - and the sales manager had a leeeetle talk with the sales people that day..

Yep.

Another way to look at it............................

Your dealership wasn't charging enough!
Posted By: RHutch Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Love the self checkout

Make sure you get your employee discount while you are doing their job…. wink
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
California doesn't worry about money or cards as long as it is below I think $950.00 you can just walk out of the store with it.
Originally Posted by RHutch
Love the self checkout

Make sure you get your employee discount while you are doing their job…. wink

The best customer service any retailer can offer me is get the fugg away from me, I already know what i’m looking for and usually know more about the product than they do.

The only exception would be if I needed a cabinet or glass case unlocked
Posted By: Raeford Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
"The best customer service any retailer can offer me is get the fugg away from me, I already know what i’m looking for and usually know more about the product than they do.

The only exception would be if I needed a cabinet or glass case unlocked"

This^^^^
The quicker I get in/out the better
My time is valuable.....to me, to the average mouf breather at the checkout, not so much.
Posted By: Hastings Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
The only exception would be if I needed a cabinet or glass case unlocked
A little off subject but I read that Walmart had to put the Afro-centric cosmetics and Afro groin flushing products out of lock up but they still have vehicle lights under lock and key, what's up?
Posted By: Dutch Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by EdM
Why use cash?

Good question, really.

1). Nobody has ever hacked my wallet. I don’t worry (much) about Target or whomever has lost all their customer’s credit card numbers. Mine won’t be in there in the vast majority of cases.

2). Nobody tracks cash. Right now, it doesn’t matter how much money you spend on booze, bullets, powder, guns....... but some day that might become a sensitive topic in a back ground check, or what not.

3). Credit cards need a phone / internet connection to work. If the system is down, cash still works.

4). Banks have a habit of shutting off cards for suspicious activities, as defined by their algorithm. They don’t care if you are trying to buy gas in Battle Mountain, NV at 3 AM and a -20 windchill. Can’t shut off my wallet, no matter how they try.

5). Credit cards are easy. Just like GM financial used to be more profitable than GM, there’s big money to be made in the card business. Even if you “pay it off every month”. The numbers show that the average restaurant ticket is about 30% larger for credit card users than for people paying cash. Which is the REAL reason stores are willing to take the 3% “merchant services” hit: People spend substantially more if they use a credit card.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by EdM
Why use cash?

So, you don't mind that every monetary transaction you make is tracked on computers?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Love the self checkout

I do too, for small purchases. The problem is when someone tries to go through one with a truckload of stuff.
Posted By: RickyD Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

Even in Des Moines, Iowa, coins are getting hard to come by and some drive-throughs are making us aware that making change may not be possible and for the purchaser to have change to make the transaction.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Around here a place is far more likely to not take credit/debit than not take cash. All the grocery stores take whatever.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM
Why use cash?

Good question, really.

1). Nobody has ever hacked my wallet. I don’t worry (much) about Target or whomever has lost all their customer’s credit card numbers. Mine won’t be in there in the vast majority of cases.

2). Nobody tracks cash. Right now, it doesn’t matter how much money you spend on booze, bullets, powder, guns....... but some day that might become a sensitive topic in a back ground check, or what not.

3). Credit cards need a phone / internet connection to work. If the system is down, cash still works.

4). Banks have a habit of shutting off cards for suspicious activities, as defined by their algorithm. They don’t care if you are trying to buy gas in Battle Mountain, NV at 3 AM and a -20 windchill. Can’t shut off my wallet, no matter how they try.

5). Credit cards are easy. Just like GM financial used to be more profitable than GM, there’s big money to be made in the card business. Even if you “pay it off every month”. The numbers show that the average restaurant ticket is about 30% larger for credit card users than for people paying cash. Which is the REAL reason stores are willing to take the 3% “merchant services” hit: People spend substantially more if they use a credit card.

Good answer.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
UPS here doesn't take cash.
Posted By: callnum Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a confused boomer in the left driving lane, a self checkout, a four way stop or a round a about.
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Self checkouts do not take the day off, call in sick, etc. Not taking cash eliminates employees which eliminates problems and adds profit to the bottom line.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

For those that don't trust/want it on line, do you get direct deposit? That's online. This has been coming and most likely will happen, not for another 20+ years, but it will SLOWLY get harder to use cash.

CC/Debit cards give advantages as well. You can, for example, get that gas tank fill up at 3AM when the gas station is closed. You don't have to go to the bank to get your money.

It's coming, the ability to be cash-less is pretty much here. Heck even small places can get a dongle that can run credit/debit cards.

Cash is expensive to maintain, track, make, collect and dispose of and bills have a relatively short life span.
I bought a cowboy tank heater.

I asked, check or cash. laugh
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
We have grocery stores called winco that only take cash or debit cards. They won't take credit cards.

There's a restaurant in Idaho Falls that will only take cash. No credit cards at all. It's a sit down place that's fairly expensive too. My brother said it's because the owners are far left democrats that are too cheap to pay 3% card processor fees. I said to him if they're far left its so they can only report part of their income and cheat on their taxes.

Bb

Yessir.
The Founding Fathers didn't use credit cards.
No John, they used this.[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.timetoa...83388/CC-05-10-75-_20.rev.jpg?1478321946[/img]
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by callnum
Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a confused boomer in the left driving lane, a self checkout, a four way stop or a round a about.

Or getting a millennial/Z at the register who can't count change.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
I can't imagine having to buy fuel with cash. I care to go into most convenience stores and I hate to leave my vehicle unattended outside of one.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I can't imagine having to buy fuel with cash. I don't care to go into most convenience stores and I hate to leave my vehicle unattended outside of one.

When I was growing up, most paid cash for gas, but here's how it went. You drove up to the pump. The man in a uniform came to your window and asked what you'd like. He fills up your tank with what you asked for, checks your oil and cleans your windshields while it's pumping, then tells you the amount. You hand him cash, and he takes a wad of bills out of his pocket and gives you change from it, and clicks out the coins needed from a device on his belt, then wishes you a good day. Typically, you'd give him a tip at this point, then drive off.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I can't imagine having to buy fuel with cash. I don't care to go into most convenience stores and I hate to leave my vehicle unattended outside of one.

When I was growing up, most paid cash for gas, but here's how it went. You drove up to the pump. The man in a uniform came to your window and asked what you'd like. He fills up your tank with what you asked for, checks your oil and cleans your windshields while it's pumping, then tells you the amount. You hand him cash, and he takes a wad of bills out of his pocket and gives you change from it, and clicks out the coins needed from a device on his belt, then wishes you a good day. Typically, you'd give him a tip at this point, then drive off.

You forgot the part about where, after clicking out the correct amount in coins, he (genuflection inserted at this point) counted back your change.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

Big blue hair kryptonite........
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21

Most likely scenario. Doubt seriously if Callnumbnutts can count or drive.
Posted By: callnum Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Chiln is the bald fugg in the rusted out Ford that just sits at a 4 way trying to figure out who’s turn it is. LOL

Triggered boomer! LOL
Posted By: 1minute Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
The_Real_Hawkeye:

You hand him cash, and he takes a wad of bills out of his pocket and gives you change from it, and clicks out the coins needed from a device on his belt, then wishes you a good day. Typically, you'd give him a tip at this point, then drive off.

Yes, that was the way it was. Worked a station as kid. At the end of a busy shift, I'd go in and drop maybe 7 or $800 bucks in the till and head home.

The local station I frequent still works that way doing windshields and all. Lots of letters on the wall from travelers commenting on the mom and pop atmosphere. Other stations, however, in our travels want $100 out my wallet before pumping and will then dispense the change.

At to groceries, I've used sell checkout twice and ended up delayed and pissed off both times.

I really like cash and use the pickup line of "I'm not really this tall. I'm just sitting on my wallet."
Posted By: cra1948 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/16/21
For ten or fifteen years now, the only thing I carry cash in my wallet for is for giving the kids money or betting on cockfights. The kids now have debit cards and I was reminded today that it's been exactly a year since I put any cash in my wallet or took any out.
If we all just carried around pouches of gold dust and the merchants had scales on the counter, all of our country's economic woes would be solved.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21

If you pay in cash, walmarts around here are rounding the change up in the customers favor and just giving you bills.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Chiln is the bald fugg in the rusted out Ford that just sits at a 4 way trying to figure out who’s turn it is. LOL

Triggered boomer! LOL

I’d have no trouble whatsoever running over a Commie POS DemoRat like your little sorry ass.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Most churches still will accept cash, or personal check.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Never been in a place that turned down cash.
Posted By: El_CuCuy Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21

“Marxism from the top down,” wut?

Did revolutionaries confiscate the grocery store’s coinage? I hate it when that happens…
Posted By: flintlocke Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
I quote: Legal tender for all debts public and private. I am cranky enough to test an order like that, cards only...BS. Get the total from the scan, count out exact change...and walk with the merchandise. Schidt will hit the fan...let's see where it lands. Bring it on Assistant Manager, let's see how it plays out. Already banned from Facebook, not too worried about a grocery store.
Posted By: Dutch Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

For those that don't trust/want it on line, do you get direct deposit? That's online. This has been coming and most likely will happen, not for another 20+ years, but it will SLOWLY get harder to use cash.

CC/Debit cards give advantages as well. You can, for example, get that gas tank fill up at 3AM when the gas station is closed. You don't have to go to the bank to get your money.

It's coming, the ability to be cash-less is pretty much here. Heck even small places can get a dongle that can run credit/debit cards.

Cash is expensive to maintain, track, make, collect and dispose of and bills have a relatively short life span.

all true (well, direct deposit runs typically through ACH, which is not "online" in the sense you use it). There is a time and a place for cards at 3 am at a gas station.... but there are just as many disadvantages.

There is a reason China and Europe are moving very fast into the direction of a cashless society. It's much easier to monitor (i.e. tax) the flow of money (the prime motivator in Europe) and it is much easier to monitor people (the prime motivator in China).

All that should give one pause. However, the real concern to the consumer in the move away from cash is that it changes the spending behavior of the individual. Spending becomes more impulsive, quicker, and the purchases become larger. That is not in the individual's best interest, but it IS good for the merchants and the creditors. If you doubt that, just go :swipe free" for a month or two. Even if you still buy your gas on a debit card, you will find that you make your purchases with more deliberation and consideration if you have to count out the 20's or 100's.
Posted By: Stophel Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Are they still giving that "short of change" BS?
Posted By: Hastings Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I quote: Legal tender for all debts public and private. I am cranky enough to test an order like that, cards only...BS. Get the total from the scan, count out exact change...and walk with the merchandise. Schidt will hit the fan...let's see where it lands. Bring it on Assistant Manager, let's see how it plays out. Already banned from Facebook, not too worried about a grocery store.
I don't think that means they have to accept paper money, but they do have to accept payment in U.S. money and that may be in the form they prescribe. As in check, debit card, credit card, whatever. Probably cannot force you to pay in gold or turnip greens or some other form of value.
Posted By: Stophel Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
I do use a credit card a lot, but I have to order so much stuff online that I simply cannot find any other way. If it is in-person, though, it is cash. On very rare occasion, I have used a card when I found that I didn't bring enough cash with me.
Posted By: deflave Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Most churches still will accept cash, or personal check.

What a shock.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I quote: Legal tender for all debts public and private. I am cranky enough to test an order like that, cards only...BS.

A store doesn't have to accept cash, they have every right to limit purchases to credit cards or buffalo chips if they want. The old "legal tender etc." stuff has been tried and shot down every time. A debt doesn't exist until a merchant agrees to the sale and if they state "credit cards only" then no sale takes place, hence no debt.

It don't work, sorry.

Nice try, thanks for playing. Better luck next time.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
I like dealing in cash when buying things we can't write off. Being self-employed has few benefits until it comes to paying taxes.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Take a look at 'the square'. It's a little square chip that plugs into the USB charging jack on your phone. With it you can swipe CC or Debit cards for sales anywhere that you have cell service. The chip is free but they charge about 1% of the purchase. The money will immediately be in your account with them and you can move it to your bank account within minutes. My wife has one for selling flowers at a farmers market. It's worked very well.
Posted By: erikj Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Coin shortage, lol.
They pound out coins by hand?
Covid is a multifaceted statist dream come true. CBDC is coming soon.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
We often hear about cops confiscating large amounts of cash without warrants or probable cause. What's the bottom limit on how much they can seize?

Edited: I now read that civil forfeiture can be as small as a thousand. That makes it scary to carry much cash at all. Cards are the only other option.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We often hear about cops confiscating large amounts of cash without warrants or probable cause. What's the bottom limit on how much they can seize?

Edited: I now read that civil forfeiture can be as small as a thousand. That makes it scary to carry much cash at all. Cards are the only other option.

They have increasingly propagated the message that cash equates to criminality, i.e., criminality is presumed when someone is in possession of more than a couple of hundred dollars in cash. This foreseeably has a chilling effect on the use of cash.
Posted By: JimFromTN Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
What I find interesting is that people say its ok for the Walton family to make hundreds of millions of dollars every year, pay their employees so poorly that they have to apply for food stamps which they show them how to get, but say they should do away with self check out because it takes jobs away from hard working Americans. Something just seems ironic about it.
Posted By: deflave Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
What I find interesting is that people say its ok for the Walton family to make hundreds of millions of dollars every year, pay their employees so poorly that they have to apply for food stamps which they show them how to get, but say they should do away with self check out because it takes jobs away from hard working Americans. Something just seems ironic about it.

How about a f a g that never goes outdoors joining the 24hourcampfire?

Is that ironic?
Posted By: slumlord Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21

My nephew makes $14 an hour and he’s been there about a year. That’s pretty good for a 21 year old kid, living at home.

If youre 40 years old, got 3 kids and work the same job at Walmart, that’s on you. Shouldn’t have smoked pot and wore a Krokus shirt to 10th grade everyday before dropping out.

People that work at walmart that are on foodstamps/EBT are on it because they want to be. They don’t want more than 20 hours a week, they don’t want to lose their $634 EBT or their TennCare medical.

They want to sleep late 3 days a week, loaf. Live the easy life like a summertime grasshopper.
Originally Posted by deflave

How about a f a g that never goes outdoors joining the 24hourcampfire?

Is that ironic?

You never told me that you didn't go outdoors
Posted By: renegade50 Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21

My nephew makes $14 an hour and he’s been there about a year. That’s pretty good for a 21 year old kid, living at home.

If youre 40 years old, got 3 kids and work the same job at Walmart, that’s on you. Shouldn’t have smoked pot and wore a Krokus shirt to 10th grade everyday before dropping out.

People that work at walmart that are on foodstamps/EBT are on it because they want to be. They don’t want more than 20 hours a week, they don’t want to lose their $634 EBT or their TennCare medical.

They want to sleep late 3 days a week, loaf. Live the easy life like a summertime grasshopper.

Exactly.....
The "working poor" know the thresholds and rake in the unca suga titty bennies from EBT to Tax credits and anything else they qual for by staying below that threshold..
So between their pizzant job they never wanna move up from and their unca suga bennies.
They are probably making 25 to 35 an hour when it is all combined.
On the taxpayers nickel......

This has become ingrained in the "working poor" to exploit all they can...
Just dont speak of it around certain people...
Like those who work full time and have moved up the food chain and actually pay taxes.....

And they got social workers telling em what is what and how too play the system...

The Nanny state for votes.
All a dominoe effect from LBJ,s great society programs..

Anyone who sees the schit otherwise is a fughing fool.......
Posted By: slumlord Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Oh yeah

And those 20 hour a week underpaid employees also knock down about $6000 in “Earned Income Credit” payments.

Wouldn’t want to screw that golden goose and get an education, make better money.
Except for the fact that Walmart doesn't offer full time to everyone. Its a limited number because once they become full time, they get benefits and it costs the company more. Its been a huge complaint on the part of workers. Walmart has just in the last month said they were going to increase the number of full time employees as a way to retain workers.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

They have increasingly propagated the message that cash equates to criminality, i.e., criminality is presumed when someone is in possession of more than a couple of hundred dollars in cash. This foreseeably has a chilling effect on the use of cash.

It all comes down to:
1. Is the LEO a criminal?
Anyone who thinks that anyone becomes perfectly virtuous by means of passing an a course and taking an oath is an idolator of the system they worship.
John the Baptist addressed that with Rome's own internal paramil members.
2. Opportunity.
3. Does the criminal think they can get away with it?
For many years the NOPD had a reputation for stealing peoples personal cars and trucks off the roads if they "liked them." Since the whole system was corrupt, they got very bold.
4.. Have you ever seen the victim of a mugging get robbed by the cops? They caught the mugger and kept the little bit of money for evidence. They refused to return it to the kid. The magistrate would not do anything about it. However, he personally made sure the charges were dropped against the armed felon.

All that to say that there may be some state code or policies, but a lot of US towns are no better than third world commie nations.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: No cash accepted. - 06/17/21
Too little money, you can be arrested as a vargrent, too much, you lose it as it as "Drug Money. crazy
© 24hourcampfire