Home
Well, what do you know.

Link to story

BY TOM OZIMEK June 21, 2021

A recent pre-print review based on peer-reviewed studies has found that using antiparasitic drug ivermectin could lead to “large reductions” in COVID-19 deaths and its use could have a “significant impact” on the pandemic globally.

For the study (pdf), published on June 17 in the American Journal of Therapeutics, a group of scientists reviewed the clinical trial use of ivermectin, which has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, in 24 randomized controlled trials involving just over 3,400 participants. The researchers sought to assess the efficacy of ivermectin in reducing infection or mortality in people with COVID-19 or at high risk of getting it.

Using multiple methods of sequential analysis, the researchers concluded with a moderate level of confidence that the drug reduced the risk of death in COVID-19 patients by an average of 62 percent, at a 95 percent confidence interval of 0.19-0.79, in a sample of 2438 patients.

Among hospitalized COVID-19 patients, the risk of death was found to be 2.3 percent among those treated with the drug, compared to 7.8 percent for those who were not, according to the review.

“Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease,” the authors wrote.

Since the start of the pandemic, both observational and randomized studies have evaluated ivermectin as a treatment for, and as prevention against, COVID-19 infection.

“A review by the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance summarized findings from 27 studies on the effects of ivermectin for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 infection, concluding that ivermectin ‘demonstrates a strong signal of therapeutic efficacy’ against COVID-19” the researchers wrote, referring to one recent review, which was based on data from both peer-reviewed studies and preprint manuscripts.

They cited another recent review that concluded that ivermectin reduced deaths by as much as 75 percent, while noting that neither the National Institutes of Health in the United States nor the World Health Organization (WHO) have recommended the use of ivermectin outside clinical trials for use in the fight against COVID-19.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in a note on “Why You Should Not Use Ivermectin to Treat or Prevent COVID-19,” warns that it has received “multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses.”

“Using any treatment for COVID-19 that’s not approved or authorized by the FDA, unless part of a clinical trial, can cause serious harm,” the FDA said in the note, adding that it has not reviewed data to support the use of ivermectin in COVID-19 patients.

The WHO said in March that “the current evidence on the use of ivermectin to treat COVID-19 patients is inconclusive” and that, until more data becomes available, the agency recommends that “the drug only be used within clinical trials.”

The authors of the ivermectin efficacy study argued, however, that the drug has an “established safety profile through decades of use” and “could play a critical role in suppressing or even ending the SARS-CoV2 pandemic.”

“The apparent safety and low cost suggest that ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally,” they argued in the study abstract.

The authors noted in their publication that all the studies on which they based their conclusions have been peer-reviewed.
oh yeah? But what does Anthony Fauci say about it? smile

Interesting.. The wife and I live in rural Indiana, pretty conservative area.. We both caught the China flu around Christmas and our local Dr. gave us a prescription for Ivomec immediately.. We both recovered, me with only a sniffle. My wife was a pretty sick girl ending up with Pneumonia and about a 30 day recovery period.. We believe the Ivomec might have kept her above ground.. FWIW..
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Fauci, "Ivermectin? Never heard of it."
Why would anyone recommend against something that will cause no harm and in fact there is a large amount of evidence saying it is very beneficial, even life saving?
Originally Posted by Hastings
Why would anyone recommend against something that will cause no harm and in fact there is a large amount of evidence saying it is very beneficial, even life saving?

I'm sure that is rhetorical..

Clyde
One problem is that such studies tend to focus on people who have already been hospitalized due to COVID19. Well, Ivermectin is most effective when used early after onset of COVID19. It's also somewhat effective after substantial breathing difficulty sets in, but it's far more effective at preventing the lung damage to start with by early dosing with it, soon after diagnosis. Used early, doctors who are working with it are of the opinion that it operates as a near perfect cure. Wait till the damage is already done to the lungs, however, and it's helpfulness, though still present, is significantly reduced. Unfortunately, the above study seems focused on its helpfulness after lung damage has already occurred, and has already caused significant breathing issues.
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter

Lol.

Maybe being behind bars would hasten his recall.

Doctors are afraid of their superiors who've told them that it's irresponsible to prescribe Ivermectin. They are told to tell patients that there's no evidence for its effectiveness.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Doctors are afraid of their superiors who've told them that it's irresponsible to prescribe Ivermectin. They are told to tell patients that there's no evidence for its effectiveness.
This whole ''pandemic'' and mostly the response to it has a stink to it. I wish if it had to happen it would have been after Trump was re-elected. He did some things for political reasons trying to get re-elected. Things he otherwise might not have done. I can't imagine he would have consented to the shutdown and the huge borrowing binge had he not gotten somewhat panicked over the election. The Democrats now have a saddle cinched tight on us and a bit in our mouth and they can get away with anything.
I find it interesting that the research above only found a 62% decrease across 2,000 patients. Meanwhile in India, they are seeing 80%-90% reduction across several HUNDRED MILLION patients.

But hey, I get it. The trial above was done in a "controlled" environment. The Indians were only using real world conditions...
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I find it interesting that the research above only found a 62% decrease across 2,000 patients. Meanwhile in India, they are seeing 80%-90% reduction across several HUNDRED MILLION patients.

But hey, I get it. The trial above was done in a "controlled" environment. The Indians were only using real world conditions...

For an explanation as to the difference, read my post above.
The thing is that it will work but only if folks take it before they are on deaths door.

Early is the key but those folks in high offices of the health dept.don't want the good citizens to have an effective and economical means to help themselves.

They want those .gov big bucks they get for putting folks in the hospital.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Orion2000

same results in Mexico, Brasil,

Most countries in Africa where ivermectin has been handout for treating parasites in the past had much lower deaths too.
What happened to the doctor that testified to Congress on saving lives with Ivermectin?
He get canceled?
I thought no one here was going to take any medical treatment not approved by the FDA for the treatment of Covid?
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I thought no one here was going to take any medical treatment not approved by the FDA for the treatment of Covid?
I believe you misapprehended. It is more like many of us are not taking a new concoction rushed onto the public. A concoction unlike that of any other human vaccine, of unknown long term effects, that messes with the genetic code, that most doctors can't explain the way it works so that a reasonably well read person can understand, that is being pushed by known population control advocates.
As opposed to medications such as Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine both of which have a long history of safety and use in humans.
It is bad enough to kill off senior citizens, but the ''vaccines'' are being pushed on young productive adults and even kids.
Since you posed a question, I'll ask you what is the harm in trying 2 known drugs with a good safety record if they might help?
Originally Posted by erikj
What happened to the doctor that testified to Congress on saving lives with Ivermectin?
He get canceled?

YouTube banned that video. Banned a video of testimony to the Senate.
It's back up.

I believe you misapprehended. It is more like many of us are not taking a new concoction rushed onto the public. A concoction unlike that of any other human vaccine, of unknown long term effects, that messes with the genetic code, that most doctors can't explain the way it works so that a reasonably well read person can understand, that is being pushed by known population control advocates.
As opposed to medications such as Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine both of which have a long history of safety and use in humans.
It is bad enough to kill off senior citizens, but the ''vaccines'' are being pushed on young productive adults and even kids.
Since you posed a question, I'll ask you what is the harm in trying 2 known drugs with a good safety record if they might help?

Yeah, but I'm still not taking cattle wormer as a substitute for a yet to be proven vaccine for something that is generally considered no worse than the common cold. That's just silly, reading comprehension aside.

Yeah, but I'm still not taking cattle wormer as a substitute for a yet to be proven vaccine for something that is generally considered no worse than the common cold. That's just silly, reading comprehension aside.

Your purpose in calling it a cattle wormer is to suggest it's not for human beings. The active ingredient is Ivermectin, which is used widely in both humans and animals.
Yeah, but I'm still not taking cattle wormer as a substitute for a yet to be proven vaccine for something that is generally considered no worse than the common cold.
I understand, but Ivermectin as is true with a good many veterinary medications is proven effective and safe in humans and Hydroxy has been around for a long time.
The problem with Ivermectin is that doctors are scared to cross the Fauci types and therefore won't prescribe it. The cattle wormer version is the same stuff in liquid or paste that you would get in a pill at a pharmacy.

Your purpose in calling it a cattle wormer is to suggest it's not for human beings. The active ingredient is Ivermectin, which is used widely in both humans and animals.

Isn't it the cattle wormer from the Rural Farm Supply that people are self medicating with? What would be the political correct name to call it? I call it cattle wormer because that's what it is labeled with on the outside of the box last time I bought it. Unless of course you get the horse paste wormer which is labeled Horse Wormer.
Wats the long term effect of cattle or horse wormer in humans?
I've known for years that a big majority of the population was wormy. Covid has proved it! 😁

Isn't it the cattle wormer from the Rural Farm Supply that people are self medicating with? What would be the political correct name to call it? I call it cattle wormer because that's what it is labeled with on the outside of the box last time I bought it. Unless of course you get the horse paste wormer which is labeled Horse Wormer.

Your purpose is obvious from the pattern of your style of argument. Pretend otherwise, however, to your heart's content.

Your purpose is obvious from the pattern of your style of argument. Pretend otherwise, however, to your heart's content.

I suppose you are right, I was just stating simple facts. Sorry about that.
A sincere argument on your part would refer to the active ingredient, not the animal it might be packaged for in any particular case.
It's back up.

Dr. Kory is with a group of Dr.’s from around the world. Their website is: FLCCC.net. Their main mission is to put an end to the COVID-19 issue. Among the recommendations of vitamin supplements, they also positively say Ivermectin is by far the MOST effective, safe, cheap and widely used drug around the world!

Please visit the website! You will have your eyes opened to the worldwide corruption towards Ivermectin and the bias for the experimental inoculation!

You will thank me later!

Elk Country
A sincere argument on your part would refer to the active ingredient, not the animal it might be packaged for in any particular case.

What the FDA states about it. I haven't taken the Covid "shot" either, but find it odd people here won't take it because it has no "FDA" approval, yet rally behind Ivermectin and don't seem to mind the FDA doesn't support it either, rather warns against it.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consu...use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19
ChuckKY,

Ivermectin is an approved drug by the FDA. They refuse to recommend it’s use to treat the COV. Their excuse is that it would be used “off label”! Many drugs are used off label. There is a law prohibiting a vaccine if there is a known treatment hence the FDA’s refusal to recommend ivermectin!

Simple as that!
Originally Posted by elkcountry
ChuckKY,

Ivermectin is an approved drug by the FDA. They refuse to recommend it’s use to treat the COV. Their excuse is that it would be used “off label”! Many drugs are used off label. There is a law prohibiting a vaccine if there is a known treatment hence the FDA’s refusal to recommend ivermectin!

Simple as that!

It is approved by the FDA for use in humans as a treatment for parasites, same as animals. I have no problem with people here choosing to go this route, but I'm going to fall back on my personal doctor I have been seeing for years for my health care and follow his advise verses the learned scholars here on the Campfire. Yes, it is just that simple.

"Ivermectin tablets are approved by the FDA to treat people with intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, two conditions caused by parasitic worms. In addition, some topical (on the skin) forms of ivermectin are approved to treat external parasites like head lice and for skin conditions such as rosacea.

Some forms of ivermectin are used in animals to prevent heartworm disease and certain internal and external parasites. It’s important to note that these products are different from the ones for people, and safe when used as prescribed for animals, only." FDA
Further research has found that Ivermectin is not only an anti parasitic, but it also has anti viral AND anti inflammatory uses as well.

I will rely on my Dr. that believes Dr.’s should use their brain and ALL available treatments for the benefit of their patients! He also recommends AGAINST the COV Shot which is NOT approved by the FDA! The so called vaccine is ONLY aloud to be administered under an “emergency order” by the government! Based on your logic of FDA approval, the people should not be taking the vaccine until it has had further scrutiny and research on it’s safety and reliability then approval by the FDA!
Further research has found that Ivermectin is not only an anti parasitic, but it also has anti viral AND anti inflammatory uses as well.

I will rely on my Dr. that believes Dr.’s should use their brain and ALL available treatments for the benefit of their patients! He also recommends AGAINST the COV Shot which is NOT approved by the FDA! The so called vaccine is ONLY aloud to be administered under an “emergency order” by the government! Based on your logic of FDA approval, the people should not be taking the vaccine until it has had further scrutiny and research on it’s safety and reliability then approval by the FDA!

Where did I state anyone should be taking the "vaccine"? Actually the opposite, I stated that neither the vaccine or Ivermectin was approved by the FDA and the FDA didn't approve either at this time. Did your doctor advise you to self medicate with Ivermectin, I'm assuming he did by your statements. If someone's doctor recommends they should take the Covid shots for their personal health concerns, I would hope they do so. At one time WD40 was thought to have anti inflammatory uses as well. I remember reading it here on the Campfire.

What the FDA states about it. I haven't taken the Covid "shot" either, but find it odd people here won't take it because it has no "FDA" approval, yet rally behind Ivermectin and don't seem to mind the FDA doesn't support it either, rather warns against it.

You are not quite right in your bolded statement above. Folks have argued that its not having been approved safe and effective by the FDA classifies it as experimental, therefore to make it a requirement for various activities or modes of employment is violative of the Nuremberg Code.
ChuckKY,

Simple as that!

Bingo.

You are not quite right in your bolded statement above. Folks have argued that its not having been approved safe and effective by the FDA classifies it as experimental, therefore to make it a requirement for various activities or modes of employment is violative of the Nuremberg Code.

Did you read the link posted? I claim to know nothing of the "Nuremberg Code". Nor do I acknowledge anyone else here posting does so either.

"FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans." FDA
Actually our Dr. prescribed my family Ivermectin. He also gave us 3 refills so we have a stash on hand! I really am not arguing with you, I’m just saying as time goes by and more research is taking place, Ivermectin is proving to be VERY effective for the prevention and treatment for many viral infections including the common cold as well as the flu! It just appears there is a concerted effort to suppress the use of an effective treatment to push an experimental inoculation despite overwhelming evidence world wide of it’s ability to stop this so called pandemic!

Elk Country

"FDA has not approved ivermectin for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans." FDA

It's been explained to you the financial motive for not approving Ivermectin for that purpose. If it were approved, it would become illegal to administer an experimental "vaccine" to the general public under an Emergency Authorization, thus denying big pharma (and everyone in big pharma's pockets) their billions in profits. Grow up.
[/quote

It's been explained to you the financial motive for not approving Ivermectin for that purpose. If it were approved, it would become illegal to administer an experimental "vaccine" to the general public under an Emergency Authorization, thus denying big pharma (and everyone in big pharma's pockets) their billions in profits. Grow up.

^^^^^+1,000,000^^^^^^

ALWAYS follow the money!

Aren't the big "Pharma" organizations the same group producing both "cures". It's not AutoZone making and selling Ivermectin. Wise Up.

Aren't the big "Pharma" organizations the same group producing both "cures". It's not AutoZone making and selling Ivermectin. Wise Up.

Ivermectin is low profit, since its patent ran out long ago. Not so with the mRNA "vaccines." They are high profit, since protected by patent.

Wow the unions have lower standards than I had previously thought.

Does science scare you chunky?

Do you understand how an anti viral works chunky? Do you understand replication?

Do you understand what a chemical formula is chunky?

Originally Posted by ribka

does science scare you chunky?

Actually it doesn't, neither does facts. Big strong straight gender men cause you to pee a little in your panties, ribyouhard ?
here ya go chunky. there are no pictures to color with crayons though. sorry

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00210-020-01902-5

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug that has shown also an effective pharmacological activity towards various infective agents, including viruses. This paper proposes an alternative mechanism of action for this drug that makes it capable of having an antiviral action, also against the novel coronavirus, in addition to the processes already reported in literature.

Ivermectin [mixture of 22, 23-dihydroavermectin B1a (80%) and 22, 23-dihydroavermectin B1b (20%)] (Fig. 1) is a macrocyclic lactone with a broad-spectrum antiparasitic pharmacological activity (Gonzalez Canga et al. 2008). It is the safest and most effective semi-synthetic derivative of the entire class of avermectins, discovered in 1975 by Professor Satoshi Ōmura as fermentation products of the actinomycete bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis (Crump 2017) (later reclassified in S. avermectinius (Takahashi et al. 2002)). Its main pharmacodynamics is to bind some channel proteins for chlorine controlled by glutamate, typical of specific classes of invertebrates, causing a greater permeability to this electrolyte: all this causes a hyperpolarization of the cell membrane, blocking inhibitory neurotransmission in neurons and myocytes, resulting in paralysis and death (Geary 2005). Commercialized since 1981, its low cost, its high efficacy and safety, and the marked tropism for helminths (therefore with an almost zero impact on the biochemistry of human beings) have led to its inclusion in the twenty-first World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines (World Health Organization 2019).

Fig. 1
figure1
Structural formulas of ivermectin compounds
Full size image
Ivermectin is a versatile drug with unique characteristics, which make it interesting also for basic and applied research (in particular for drug repurposing): it seems to reveal an antibacterial (Lim et al. 2013; Ashraf et al. 2018), antiviral, and anticancer activity (Juarez et al. 2018; Intuyod et al. 2019), besides being potentially useful for the treatment of some chronic pathologies (Ashraf and Prichard 2016; Ventre et al. 2017), result of an action on a wide range of cellular targets.

Regarding its role as an antiviral agent, its efficacy has been demonstrated on several viruses, both in vitro and in vivo. Among the many mechanisms by which it performs its function, the most consolidated one sees ivermectin as an inhibitor of nuclear transport mediated by the importin α/β1 heterodimer, responsible for the translocation of various viral species proteins (HIV-1, SV40), indispensable for their replication (Wagstaff et al. 2011; Wagstaff et al. 2012). This inhibition appears to affect a considerable number of RNA viruses (Jans et al. 2019; Caly et al. 2012), such as Dengue Virus 1-4 (DENV) (Tay et al. 2013), West Nile Virus (WNV) (Yang et al. 2020), Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Virus (VEEV) (Lundberg et al. 2013), and Influenza (Gotz et al. 2016). In addition, ivermectin has been shown to be effective against the Pseudorabies virus (PRV, with a DNA-based genome), both in vitro and in vivo (Lv et al. 2018), using the same mechanism. Caly et al. (Caly et al. 2020) have recently shown that the drug also inhibits the replication of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in vitro, however not clarifying how it occurs. Since the causative agent of COVID-19 is an RNA virus, it can be reasonably expected an interference with the same proteins and the same molecular processes described above.

However, ivermectin could prove to be a powerful antiviral, therefore also useful for a possible treatment of the new coronavirus associated syndrome, even from a new perspective. This could happen assuming its role as an ionophore agent, only hinted in the recent past but never fully described (Juarez et al. 2018). Ionophores are molecules that typically have a hydrophilic pocket which constitutes a specific binding site for one or more ions (usually cations), while its external surface is hydrophobic, allowing the complex thus formed to cross the cell membranes, affecting the hydro-electrolyte balance (Freedman 2012). These chemical species have historically been used to study the mitochondrial respiratory chain and ATP synthesis in eukaryotes (in this case also known as decoupling agents, such as 2, 4-dinitrophenol), and their antibiotic activity has long been appreciated (Bakker 1979). It is also hypothesized their role as antiviral drugs (Krenn et al. 2009; Sandler et al. 2020) and anticancer chemotherapeutic agents (Kaushik et al. 2018). Thinking of the structure of two of the most important ionophores, monensin A and valinomycin, respectively a polyether and a depsipeptide antibiotic, it is clear that they internally present many oxygen atoms (with related free electron doublets), indispensable for binding cations and transporting them through phospholipidic bilayers.

At a first glance, the two structures that make up the ivermectin formula do not have these chemical properties, nor those mentioned above, essential for a compound to be defined as ionophore. However, it can be hypothesized that two ivermectin molecules, reacting with each other in a “head-tail” mode, can create a complex suitable to be considered such (Fig. 2). This interaction could occur spontaneously or be mediated by the binding of the same molecules to some plasma transport proteins, in particular albumin (Klotz et al. 1990), which would have the role of positioning them in the correct way to obtain the proposed configuration.

Fig. 2
figure2
Possible interaction mechanism between two ivermectin molecules
Full size image
As it can be seen, in this way, an internal cavity is formed: the oxygen atoms (indicated in red), now present in greater number, work as Lewis bases and could therefore coordinate a series of cations (Lewis acids). On the other hand, the –OH groups are highlighted in blue and they could have a decisive role in the stabilization of the new structure, with the establishment of chemical bonds between these functional groups: one or more –O– bridges (however, it is difficult the formation of ether bonds, since acid catalysis at high temperature is not possible under normal conditions, both in vitro and in vivo) or more probably hydrogen bonds could be formed, even among more molecular complexes of this type. However, the formation of other weak and strong interactions of various kinds cannot be excluded. Otherwise, specific cations could bind the two molecules in the proposed way, creating themselves the final structure and stabilizing it: there are examples already known in literature (Abbott et al. 1979). The external part of the complex, then, would already have in itself all the hydrophobic characteristics necessary to carry ions through the viral membrane. As a consequence, it would be determined an ionic imbalance between the external and internal environment, with the recall of water and consequent osmotic lysis. This would allow to neutralize the virus at an early stage of the infection, before; therefore, it can adhere to the host cells and enter it to exploit their biochemical machinery for the production of other viral particles. However, this hypothesis would concern only viruses without a proteic capsid, a structure that shows a certain resistance to osmotic pressure, even if to a lesser extent than a bacterial, fungal, or plant cell wall (Cordova et al. 2003). The new coronavirus is one of these, presenting only a phospholipid envelope in defense of the genetic material, where its few proteins are inserted and which it acquires in the act of exiting the infected cells (Sigrist et al. 2020). This unconventional electrolyte uptake mode could also affect the potential of the viral membrane, threatening its integrity and functionality. The same goes for the viral proteins present here. Furthermore, the concentration variation of some cations, thus determined, could inhibit some key enzymes in the viral replication, such as RNA-dependent RNA polymerases (RdRp) (te Velthuis et al. 2010), already used as pharmacological targets.

Another indication in favor of a possible ionophore role for ivermectin comes from the analysis of molecular similarity that can be carried out through the Drugbank database (www.drugbank.ca). By setting a minimum similarity threshold for ivermectin equal to 0.7, about 14 results are obtained. Among the various selected molecules, the majority of which have antiparasitic and antibiotic activity (already not only on the market but also in the study and experimentation phase), a compound that has high structural similarity is nystatin (score of 0.72), an antimycotic drug with an ionophoric activity at the plasma membrane level, where it forms channels (Yamasaki et al. 2011; Stillwell 2016; Rang 2015).

Immediately afterwards, with a slightly lower similarity, it can be find amphotericin B and natamycin, all pharmacological molecules of assured ionophoric activity (score of 0.71 and 0.706, respectively) (Stillwell 2016; Rang 2015; Ramos 1989; Ikehara et al. 1986).

In conclusion, pending computational simulations and chemical-physical laboratory analysis, this hypothesis could be applied to other known pharmacological molecules, in order to identify compounds with probable ionophore nature to be used in research and clinical practice.

References
Abbott BJ, [bleep] DS, Dorman DE, Occolowitz JL, Debono M, Farhner L (1979 Dec) Microbial transformation of A23187, a divalent cation ionophore antibiotic. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 16(6):808–812
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Ashraf S, Prichard R (2016 Aug 15) Ivermectin exhibits potent anti-mitotic activity. Vet Parasitol. 226:1–4
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Ashraf S, Chaudhry U, Raza A, Ghosh D, Zhao X (2018) In vitro activity of ivermectin against Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 7:27
Article

Google Scholar

Bakker EP (1979) Ionophore Antibiotics. In: Hahn F.E. (eds) Mechanism of action of antibacterial agents. Antibiotics 5:1 Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
Google Scholar

Caly L, Wagstaff KM, Jans DA (2012) Nuclear trafficking of proteins from RNA viruses: potential target for anti-virals? Antiviral research 95:202–206
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Caly L, Druce JD, Catton MG, Jans DA, Wagstaff KM (2020 Apr) The FDA-approved Drug Ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. Antiviral Res. 3:104787
Article

Google Scholar

Cordova A, Deserno M, Gelbart WM, Ben-Shaul A (2003 Jul) Osmotic shock and the strength of viral capsids. Biophys J. 85(1):70–74
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Crump A (2017 May) Ivermectin: enigmatic multifaceted ‘wonder’ drug continues to surprise and exceed expectations. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 70(5):495–505
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Freedman JC (2012) Chapter 4 - Ionophores in planar lipid bilayers. In: Sperelakis N (ed) Cell Physiology Source Book, 4th edn. Academic Press, pp 61–66 ISBN 9780123877383
Geary TG (2005) Ivermectin 20 years on: maturation of a wonder drug. Trends Parasitol. 21(11):530–532
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Gonzalez Canga A et al (2008) The pharmacokinetics and interactions of ivermectin in humans--a mini-review. AAPS J 10(1):42–46
Article

Google Scholar

Gotz V et al (2016) Influenza A viruses escape from MxA restriction at the expense of efficient nuclear vRNP import. Sci Rep 6:23138
Article

Google Scholar

Ikehara T, Yamaguchi H, Hosokawa K, Yonezu T, Miyamoto H (1986) Effects of nystatin on intracellular contents and membrane transport of alkali cations, and cell volume in HeLa cells. J Membr Biol. 90(3):231–240
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Intuyod K, Hahnvajanawong C, Pinlaor P, Pinlaor S (2019) Anti-parasitic drug ivermectin exhibits potent anticancer activity against gemcitabine-resistant cholangiocarcinoma in vitro. Anticancer Res. 39(9):4837–4843
Article

Google Scholar

Jans DA, Martin AJ, Wagstaff KM (2019) Inhibitors of nuclear transport. Curr Opin Cell Biol 58:50–60
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Juarez M, Schcolnik-Cabrera A, Dueñas-Gonzalez A (2018 Feb 1) The multitargeted drug ivermectin: from an antiparasitic agent to a repositioned cancer drug. Am J Cancer Res. 8(2):317–331
CAS

PubMed

PubMed Central

Google Scholar

Kaushik V, Yakisich JS, Kumar A, Azad N, Iyer AKV (2018) Ionophores: Potential use as anticancer drugs and chemosensitizers. Cancers (Basel) 10(10):pii: E360. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers10100360
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Klotz U, Ogbuokiri JE, Okonkwo PO (1990) Ivermectin binds avidly to plasma proteins. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 39(6):607–608
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Krenn BM, Gaudernak E, Holzer B, Lanke K, Van Kuppeveld FJ, Seipelt J (2009 Jan) Antiviral activity of the zinc ionophores pyrithione and hinokitiol against picornavirus infections. J Virol. 83(1):58–64
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Lim LE, Vilchèze C, Ng C, Jacobs WR Jr, Ramón-García S, Thompson CJ (2013 Feb) Anthelmintic avermectins kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis, including multidrug-resistant clinical strains. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 57(2):1040–1046
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Lundberg L, Pinkham C, Baer A, Amaya M, Narayanan A, Wagstaff KM, Jans DA, Kehn-Hall K (2013) Nuclear import and export inhibitors alter capsid protein distribution in mammalian cells and reduce Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Virus replication. Antiviral Res 100(3):662–672
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Lv C, Liu W, Wang B, Dang R, Qiu L, Ren J, Yan C, Yang Z, Wang X (2018) Ivermectin inhibits DNA polymerase UL42 of pseudorabies virus entrance into the nucleus and proliferation of the virus in vitro and vivo. Antiviral Res 159:55–62
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Ramos H (1989 Jul 10) Attias de Murciano A, Cohen BE, Bolard J. The polyene antibiotic amphotericin B acts as a Ca2+ ionophore in sterol-containing liposomes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 982(2):303–306
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

P.H. Rang, (2015). Rang and Dale’s pharmacology. Dale, M. Maureen, Flower, R. J. (Rod J.), 1945-, Henderson, G. (Graeme) (Eighth ed.). [United Kingdom].
Google Scholar

Sandler ZJ, Vu MN, Menachery VD, Mounce BC (2020) Novel ionophores active against La Crosse virus identified through rapid antiviral screening. bioRxiv doi. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.01.21.914929
Sigrist CJ, Bridge A, Le Mercier P (2020 Mar 1) A potential role for integrins in host cell entry by SARS-CoV-2. Antiviral Res. 177:104759
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Stillwell W (2016) Chapter 19 - Membrane Transport. In: Stillwell W (ed) An introduction to biological membranes, 2nd edn. Elsevier, pp 423–451 ISBN 9780444637727
Takahashi Y, Matsumoto A, Seino A, Ueno J, Iwai Y, Omura S (2002 Nov) Streptomyces avermectinius sp. nov., an avermectin-producing strain. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 52(Pt 6):2163–2168
CAS

PubMed

Google Scholar

Tay MY et al (2013) Nuclear localization of dengue virus (DENV) 1-4 non-structural protein 5; protection against all 4 DENV serotypes by the inhibitor ivermectin. Antiviral Res 99(3):301–306
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

te Velthuis AJ, van den Worm SH, Sims AC, Baric RS, Snijder EJ, van Hemert MJ (2010 Nov 4) Zn(2+) inhibits coronavirus and arterivirus RNA polymerase activity in vitro and zinc ionophores block the replication of these viruses in cell culture. PLoS Pathog. 6(11):e1001176
Article

Google Scholar

Ventre E, Rozières A, Lenief V, Albert F, Rossio P, Laoubi L, Dombrowicz D, Staels B, Ulmann L, Julia V, Vial E, Jomard A, Hacini-Rachinel F, Nicolas JF, Vocanson M (2017 Aug) Topical ivermectin improves allergic skin inflammation. Allergy. 72(8):1212–1221
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Wagstaff KM, Rawlinson SM, Hearps AC, Jans DA (2011) An AlphaScreen(R)-based assay for high-throughput screening for specific inhibitors of nuclear import. Journal of biomolecular screening 16(2):192–200
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Wagstaff KM, Sivakumaran H, Heaton SM, Harrich D, Jans DA (2012) Ivermectin is a specific inhibitor of importin alpha/beta mediated nuclear import able to inhibit replication of HIV-1 and dengue virus. The Biochemical journal 443(3):851–856
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

World Health Organization (2019) World Health Organization model list of essential medicines: 21st list 2019. World Health Organization, Geneva
Google Scholar

Yamasaki M, Tamura N, Nakamura K, Sasaki N, Murakami M, Rajapakshage W, Kumara B, Tamura Y, Lim SY, Ohta H, Takiguchi M (2011 Dec) Effects and mechanisms of action of polyene macrolide antibiotic nystatin on Babesia gibsoni in vitro. J Parasitol. 97(6):1190–1192
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Yang SNY et al (2020) The broad spectrum antiviral ivermectin targets the host nuclear transport importin α/β1 heterodimer. Antiviral Res 177:104760
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Download references

Author information
Affiliations
Department of Prevention, Local Health Authority of Lecce (ASL Lecce), Lecce, Italy
Emanuele Rizzo

Italian Society of Environmental Medicine (SIMA), Milan, Italy
Emanuele Rizzo

Contributions
All research phases (idea, drafting of the paper, and proofreading) were conducted by the only author, ER.

Corresponding author
Correspondence to Emanuele Rizzo.

Additional information
Publisher’s note
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Rights and permissions
Reprints and Permissions

About this article
Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark
Cite this article
Rizzo, E. Ivermectin, antiviral properties and COVID-19: a possible new mechanism of action. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 393, 1153–1156 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00210-020-01902-5

Download citation

Received
29 April 2020

Accepted
10 May 2020

Published
27 May 2020

Issue Date
July 2020

DOI
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00210-020-01902-5

Share this article
Anyone you share the following link with will be able to read this content:

Get shareable link
Provided by the Springer Nature SharedIt content-sharing initiative

Keywords
Ivermectin
Antiviral
Ionophore
COVID-19
SARS-CoV-2
Download PDF

Actually it doesn't, neither does facts. Big strong straight gender men cause you to pee a little in your panties, ribyouhard ?

I forgot unions don't even require an 8h grade science or math education lmao
here ya go chunky. there are no pictures to color with crayons though. sorry

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00210-020-01902-5

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug that has shown also an effective pharmacological activity towards various infective agents, including viruses. This paper proposes an alternative mechanism of action for this drug that makes it capable of having an antiviral action, also against the novel coronavirus, in addition to the processes already reported in literature.

Ivermectin [mixture of 22, 23-dihydroavermectin B1a (80%) and 22, 23-dihydroavermectin B1b (20%)] (Fig. 1) is a macrocyclic lactone with a broad-spectrum antiparasitic pharmacological activity (Gonzalez Canga et al. 2008). It is the safest and most effective semi-synthetic derivative of the entire class of avermectins, discovered in 1975 by Professor Satoshi Ōmura as fermentation products of the actinomycete bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis (Crump 2017) (later reclassified in S. avermectinius (Takahashi et al. 2002)). Its main pharmacodynamics is to bind some channel proteins for chlorine controlled by glutamate, typical of specific classes of invertebrates, causing a greater permeability to this electrolyte: all this causes a hyperpolarization of the cell membrane, blocking inhibitory neurotransmission in neurons and myocytes, resulting in paralysis and death (Geary 2005). Commercialized since 1981, its low cost, its high efficacy and safety, and the marked tropism for helminths (therefore with an almost zero impact on the biochemistry of human beings) have led to its inclusion in the twenty-first World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines (World Health Organization 2019).

Fig. 1
figure1
Structural formulas of ivermectin compounds
Full size image
Ivermectin is a versatile drug with unique characteristics, which make it interesting also for basic and applied research (in particular for drug repurposing): it seems to reveal an antibacterial (Lim et al. 2013; Ashraf et al. 2018), antiviral, and anticancer activity (Juarez et al. 2018; Intuyod et al. 2019), besides being potentially useful for the treatment of some chronic pathologies (Ashraf and Prichard 2016; Ventre et al. 2017), result of an action on a wide range of cellular targets.

Regarding its role as an antiviral agent, its efficacy has been demonstrated on several viruses, both in vitro and in vivo. Among the many mechanisms by which it performs its function, the most consolidated one sees ivermectin as an inhibitor of nuclear transport mediated by the importin α/β1 heterodimer, responsible for the translocation of various viral species proteins (HIV-1, SV40), indispensable for their replication (Wagstaff et al. 2011; Wagstaff et al. 2012). This inhibition appears to affect a considerable number of RNA viruses (Jans et al. 2019; Caly et al. 2012), such as Dengue Virus 1-4 (DENV) (Tay et al. 2013), West Nile Virus (WNV) (Yang et al. 2020), Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Virus (VEEV) (Lundberg et al. 2013), and Influenza (Gotz et al. 2016). In addition, ivermectin has been shown to be effective against the Pseudorabies virus (PRV, with a DNA-based genome), both in vitro and in vivo (Lv et al. 2018), using the same mechanism. Caly et al. (Caly et al. 2020) have recently shown that the drug also inhibits the replication of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in vitro, however not clarifying how it occurs. Since the causative agent of COVID-19 is an RNA virus, it can be reasonably expected an interference with the same proteins and the same molecular processes described above.

However, ivermectin could prove to be a powerful antiviral, therefore also useful for a possible treatment of the new coronavirus associated syndrome, even from a new perspective. This could happen assuming its role as an ionophore agent, only hinted in the recent past but never fully described (Juarez et al. 2018). Ionophores are molecules that typically have a hydrophilic pocket which constitutes a specific binding site for one or more ions (usually cations), while its external surface is hydrophobic, allowing the complex thus formed to cross the cell membranes, affecting the hydro-electrolyte balance (Freedman 2012). These chemical species have historically been used to study the mitochondrial respiratory chain and ATP synthesis in eukaryotes (in this case also known as decoupling agents, such as 2, 4-dinitrophenol), and their antibiotic activity has long been appreciated (Bakker 1979). It is also hypothesized their role as antiviral drugs (Krenn et al. 2009; Sandler et al. 2020) and anticancer chemotherapeutic agents (Kaushik et al. 2018). Thinking of the structure of two of the most important ionophores, monensin A and valinomycin, respectively a polyether and a depsipeptide antibiotic, it is clear that they internally present many oxygen atoms (with related free electron doublets), indispensable for binding cations and transporting them through phospholipidic bilayers.

At a first glance, the two structures that make up the ivermectin formula do not have these chemical properties, nor those mentioned above, essential for a compound to be defined as ionophore. However, it can be hypothesized that two ivermectin molecules, reacting with each other in a “head-tail” mode, can create a complex suitable to be considered such (Fig. 2). This interaction could occur spontaneously or be mediated by the binding of the same molecules to some plasma transport proteins, in particular albumin (Klotz et al. 1990), which would have the role of positioning them in the correct way to obtain the proposed configuration.

Fig. 2
figure2
Possible interaction mechanism between two ivermectin molecules
Full size image
As it can be seen, in this way, an internal cavity is formed: the oxygen atoms (indicated in red), now present in greater number, work as Lewis bases and could therefore coordinate a series of cations (Lewis acids). On the other hand, the –OH groups are highlighted in blue and they could have a decisive role in the stabilization of the new structure, with the establishment of chemical bonds between these functional groups: one or more –O– bridges (however, it is difficult the formation of ether bonds, since acid catalysis at high temperature is not possible under normal conditions, both in vitro and in vivo) or more probably hydrogen bonds could be formed, even among more molecular complexes of this type. However, the formation of other weak and strong interactions of various kinds cannot be excluded. Otherwise, specific cations could bind the two molecules in the proposed way, creating themselves the final structure and stabilizing it: there are examples already known in literature (Abbott et al. 1979). The external part of the complex, then, would already have in itself all the hydrophobic characteristics necessary to carry ions through the viral membrane. As a consequence, it would be determined an ionic imbalance between the external and internal environment, with the recall of water and consequent osmotic lysis. This would allow to neutralize the virus at an early stage of the infection, before; therefore, it can adhere to the host cells and enter it to exploit their biochemical machinery for the production of other viral particles. However, this hypothesis would concern only viruses without a proteic capsid, a structure that shows a certain resistance to osmotic pressure, even if to a lesser extent than a bacterial, fungal, or plant cell wall (Cordova et al. 2003). The new coronavirus is one of these, presenting only a phospholipid envelope in defense of the genetic material, where its few proteins are inserted and which it acquires in the act of exiting the infected cells (Sigrist et al. 2020). This unconventional electrolyte uptake mode could also affect the potential of the viral membrane, threatening its integrity and functionality. The same goes for the viral proteins present here. Furthermore, the concentration variation of some cations, thus determined, could inhibit some key enzymes in the viral replication, such as RNA-dependent RNA polymerases (RdRp) (te Velthuis et al. 2010), already used as pharmacological targets.

Another indication in favor of a possible ionophore role for ivermectin comes from the analysis of molecular similarity that can be carried out through the Drugbank database (www.drugbank.ca). By setting a minimum similarity threshold for ivermectin equal to 0.7, about 14 results are obtained. Among the various selected molecules, the majority of which have antiparasitic and antibiotic activity (already not only on the market but also in the study and experimentation phase), a compound that has high structural similarity is nystatin (score of 0.72), an antimycotic drug with an ionophoric activity at the plasma membrane level, where it forms channels (Yamasaki et al. 2011; Stillwell 2016; Rang 2015).

Immediately afterwards, with a slightly lower similarity, it can be find amphotericin B and natamycin, all pharmacological molecules of assured ionophoric activity (score of 0.71 and 0.706, respectively) (Stillwell 2016; Rang 2015; Ramos 1989; Ikehara et al. 1986).

In conclusion, pending computational simulations and chemical-physical laboratory analysis, this hypothesis could be applied to other known pharmacological molecules, in order to identify compounds with probable ionophore nature to be used in research and clinical practice.

References
Abbott BJ, [bleep] DS, Dorman DE, Occolowitz JL, Debono M, Farhner L (1979 Dec) Microbial transformation of A23187, a divalent cation ionophore antibiotic. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 16(6):808–812
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Ashraf S, Prichard R (2016 Aug 15) Ivermectin exhibits potent anti-mitotic activity. Vet Parasitol. 226:1–4
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Ashraf S, Chaudhry U, Raza A, Ghosh D, Zhao X (2018) In vitro activity of ivermectin against Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 7:27
Article

Google Scholar

Bakker EP (1979) Ionophore Antibiotics. In: Hahn F.E. (eds) Mechanism of action of antibacterial agents. Antibiotics 5:1 Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
Google Scholar

Caly L, Wagstaff KM, Jans DA (2012) Nuclear trafficking of proteins from RNA viruses: potential target for anti-virals? Antiviral research 95:202–206
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Caly L, Druce JD, Catton MG, Jans DA, Wagstaff KM (2020 Apr) The FDA-approved Drug Ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. Antiviral Res. 3:104787
Article

Google Scholar

Cordova A, Deserno M, Gelbart WM, Ben-Shaul A (2003 Jul) Osmotic shock and the strength of viral capsids. Biophys J. 85(1):70–74
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Crump A (2017 May) Ivermectin: enigmatic multifaceted ‘wonder’ drug continues to surprise and exceed expectations. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 70(5):495–505
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Freedman JC (2012) Chapter 4 - Ionophores in planar lipid bilayers. In: Sperelakis N (ed) Cell Physiology Source Book, 4th edn. Academic Press, pp 61–66 ISBN 9780123877383
Geary TG (2005) Ivermectin 20 years on: maturation of a wonder drug. Trends Parasitol. 21(11):530–532
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Gonzalez Canga A et al (2008) The pharmacokinetics and interactions of ivermectin in humans--a mini-review. AAPS J 10(1):42–46
Article

Google Scholar

Gotz V et al (2016) Influenza A viruses escape from MxA restriction at the expense of efficient nuclear vRNP import. Sci Rep 6:23138
Article

Google Scholar

Ikehara T, Yamaguchi H, Hosokawa K, Yonezu T, Miyamoto H (1986) Effects of nystatin on intracellular contents and membrane transport of alkali cations, and cell volume in HeLa cells. J Membr Biol. 90(3):231–240
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Intuyod K, Hahnvajanawong C, Pinlaor P, Pinlaor S (2019) Anti-parasitic drug ivermectin exhibits potent anticancer activity against gemcitabine-resistant cholangiocarcinoma in vitro. Anticancer Res. 39(9):4837–4843
Article

Google Scholar

Jans DA, Martin AJ, Wagstaff KM (2019) Inhibitors of nuclear transport. Curr Opin Cell Biol 58:50–60
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Juarez M, Schcolnik-Cabrera A, Dueñas-Gonzalez A (2018 Feb 1) The multitargeted drug ivermectin: from an antiparasitic agent to a repositioned cancer drug. Am J Cancer Res. 8(2):317–331
CAS

PubMed

PubMed Central

Google Scholar

Kaushik V, Yakisich JS, Kumar A, Azad N, Iyer AKV (2018) Ionophores: Potential use as anticancer drugs and chemosensitizers. Cancers (Basel) 10(10):pii: E360. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers10100360
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Klotz U, Ogbuokiri JE, Okonkwo PO (1990) Ivermectin binds avidly to plasma proteins. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 39(6):607–608
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Krenn BM, Gaudernak E, Holzer B, Lanke K, Van Kuppeveld FJ, Seipelt J (2009 Jan) Antiviral activity of the zinc ionophores pyrithione and hinokitiol against picornavirus infections. J Virol. 83(1):58–64
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Lim LE, Vilchèze C, Ng C, Jacobs WR Jr, Ramón-García S, Thompson CJ (2013 Feb) Anthelmintic avermectins kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis, including multidrug-resistant clinical strains. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 57(2):1040–1046
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Lundberg L, Pinkham C, Baer A, Amaya M, Narayanan A, Wagstaff KM, Jans DA, Kehn-Hall K (2013) Nuclear import and export inhibitors alter capsid protein distribution in mammalian cells and reduce Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Virus replication. Antiviral Res 100(3):662–672
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Lv C, Liu W, Wang B, Dang R, Qiu L, Ren J, Yan C, Yang Z, Wang X (2018) Ivermectin inhibits DNA polymerase UL42 of pseudorabies virus entrance into the nucleus and proliferation of the virus in vitro and vivo. Antiviral Res 159:55–62
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Ramos H (1989 Jul 10) Attias de Murciano A, Cohen BE, Bolard J. The polyene antibiotic amphotericin B acts as a Ca2+ ionophore in sterol-containing liposomes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 982(2):303–306
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

P.H. Rang, (2015). Rang and Dale’s pharmacology. Dale, M. Maureen, Flower, R. J. (Rod J.), 1945-, Henderson, G. (Graeme) (Eighth ed.). [United Kingdom].
Google Scholar

Sandler ZJ, Vu MN, Menachery VD, Mounce BC (2020) Novel ionophores active against La Crosse virus identified through rapid antiviral screening. bioRxiv doi. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.01.21.914929
Sigrist CJ, Bridge A, Le Mercier P (2020 Mar 1) A potential role for integrins in host cell entry by SARS-CoV-2. Antiviral Res. 177:104759
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Stillwell W (2016) Chapter 19 - Membrane Transport. In: Stillwell W (ed) An introduction to biological membranes, 2nd edn. Elsevier, pp 423–451 ISBN 9780444637727
Takahashi Y, Matsumoto A, Seino A, Ueno J, Iwai Y, Omura S (2002 Nov) Streptomyces avermectinius sp. nov., an avermectin-producing strain. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 52(Pt 6):2163–2168
CAS

PubMed

Google Scholar

Tay MY et al (2013) Nuclear localization of dengue virus (DENV) 1-4 non-structural protein 5; protection against all 4 DENV serotypes by the inhibitor ivermectin. Antiviral Res 99(3):301–306
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

te Velthuis AJ, van den Worm SH, Sims AC, Baric RS, Snijder EJ, van Hemert MJ (2010 Nov 4) Zn(2+) inhibits coronavirus and arterivirus RNA polymerase activity in vitro and zinc ionophores block the replication of these viruses in cell culture. PLoS Pathog. 6(11):e1001176
Article

Google Scholar

Ventre E, Rozières A, Lenief V, Albert F, Rossio P, Laoubi L, Dombrowicz D, Staels B, Ulmann L, Julia V, Vial E, Jomard A, Hacini-Rachinel F, Nicolas JF, Vocanson M (2017 Aug) Topical ivermectin improves allergic skin inflammation. Allergy. 72(8):1212–1221
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Wagstaff KM, Rawlinson SM, Hearps AC, Jans DA (2011) An AlphaScreen(R)-based assay for high-throughput screening for specific inhibitors of nuclear import. Journal of biomolecular screening 16(2):192–200
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Wagstaff KM, Sivakumaran H, Heaton SM, Harrich D, Jans DA (2012) Ivermectin is a specific inhibitor of importin alpha/beta mediated nuclear import able to inhibit replication of HIV-1 and dengue virus. The Biochemical journal 443(3):851–856
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

World Health Organization (2019) World Health Organization model list of essential medicines: 21st list 2019. World Health Organization, Geneva
Google Scholar

Yamasaki M, Tamura N, Nakamura K, Sasaki N, Murakami M, Rajapakshage W, Kumara B, Tamura Y, Lim SY, Ohta H, Takiguchi M (2011 Dec) Effects and mechanisms of action of polyene macrolide antibiotic nystatin on Babesia gibsoni in vitro. J Parasitol. 97(6):1190–1192
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Yang SNY et al (2020) The broad spectrum antiviral ivermectin targets the host nuclear transport importin α/β1 heterodimer. Antiviral Res 177:104760
CAS

Article

Google Scholar

Download references

Author information
Affiliations
Department of Prevention, Local Health Authority of Lecce (ASL Lecce), Lecce, Italy
Emanuele Rizzo

Italian Society of Environmental Medicine (SIMA), Milan, Italy
Emanuele Rizzo

Contributions
All research phases (idea, drafting of the paper, and proofreading) were conducted by the only author, ER.

Corresponding author
Correspondence to Emanuele Rizzo.

Additional information
Publisher’s note
Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Rights and permissions
Reprints and Permissions

About this article
Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark
Cite this article
Rizzo, E. Ivermectin, antiviral properties and COVID-19: a possible new mechanism of action. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 393, 1153–1156 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00210-020-01902-5

Download citation

Received
29 April 2020

Accepted
10 May 2020

Published
27 May 2020

Issue Date
July 2020

DOI
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00210-020-01902-5

Share this article
Anyone you share the following link with will be able to read this content:

Get shareable link
Provided by the Springer Nature SharedIt content-sharing initiative

Keywords
Ivermectin
Antiviral
Ionophore
COVID-19
SARS-CoV-2
Download PDF

Only a sexually deviated boy from Idaho would Copy and Paste that much and expect anyone to read it, well maybe that idiot from Minnesota also. I'm starting to notice a resemblance with that kid Maser and your posts, maybe a sock puppet ?

Only a sexually deviated boy from Idaho would Copy and Paste that much and expect anyone to read it, well maybe that idiot from Minnesota also. I'm starting to notice a resemblance with that kid Maser and your posts, maybe a sock puppet ?

Sometimes you have to know when to fold, Kentucky Chucky
And here I thought Covid was fake news...
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Sometimes you have to know when to fold, Kentucky Chucky

Only when you're playing with your own money, Crouch.
I've read that Ivermectin has been used successfully in treating and preventing cancer. Lord knows that the medical industry doesn't want a cure for cancer.

Maybe you should try it and report back to us, let us know if it cures the gay for you. What have you got to lose? Doubt you could make it though a four year apprenticeship with IBEW. If you did you would have a two year associate degree and a four year skilled labor trade apprenticeship, what do you have to show for your vast wealth of knowledge? Why are LBGT "men" always lmao?

Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've read that Ivermectin has been used successfully in treating and preventing cancer. Lord knows that the medical industry doesn't want a cure for cancer.
Lots of money in prolonging it. Probably cause a financial collapse in the medial industry if a fast cheap cure was found.
If you know anything about stats, .62 at the 95 percentile is big. It’s more than moderate confidence.
ChuckKY, You've proven that you just can't grasp the validity of ivermectin, Or the financial motivation behind denying its effectiveness. Your argument doesn't hold water. Only Kool-Aid.

So please move on. Your body, your choice.
lol chunky

try getting a degree in biochem. take 3 semesters of calc, physics, organic chem and labs, genetics, physical chem

Maybe you should try it and report back to us, let us know if it cures the gay for you. What have you got to lose? Doubt you could make it though a four year apprenticeship with IBEW. If you did you would have a two year associate degree and a four year skilled labor trade apprenticeship, what do you have to show for your vast wealth of knowledge? Why are LBGT "men" always lmao?

Union strong....... you go chunky...... lmao
Just bought some 1.87% Duravet paste.

I’m around 200#’s. What’s the Campfire approved dose?
Do I need a secret union handshake to get info?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Do I need a secret union handshake to get info?

Check The_Real_Hawkeye's post earlier in this thread.
Pro Tip: You can get Ivermectin at any feed store. After checking with my pharmacist friend, he says 1/2 of a tube taken over 5 days is the right dose for adults. A full tube will cost $8. We gave it to two sick family members and they started recovering the next day. My wife, who has lung problems due to being on a ventilator for Hantavirus when she was younger, was exposed to C19. We were concerned, so we gave it to her as well and she never got sick. YMMV,
Just ate “some”. Warshed it down with a Ruebens IPA.

Hoping to sprout a horse dong by morning. Pears please.
At this point, I know of several people who have been treated with Ivermectin, by physicians, and have recovered from severe cases of covid. I know one person who has self medicated with Ivermectin (he is a rancher and has it for animal use) and is the only member of his family who showed no symptoms though he tested positive for covid. He is 74 and obese.
I know of no one who has suffered any side effects from any of the vaccines. In do not personally know of anyone who has died of covid or even with covid. I know of some who have been hospitalized; one put on a ventilator. The vast majority of people I know, even peripherally, have not contracted covid or been in contact with anyone who has and I suspect this is the situation with most people. A spike in local cases has been concurrent with an increased number of people who have been vaccinated. This may just be coincidental but it may also be due to vaccinated individuals picking up the virus as a result of more interaction with others, then transmitting the virus to others in the community.
We have been lied to so much, it is difficult to believe anything from any source. I guess people just go with what makes them most comfortable. GD

Translation...doesn't own shares.
here is the truth

the already have many cures for cancer

the virus was no accident

fauci is a total liar

the plan was to stop trump and his new china -us trade deal

maybe a quarter of the people they say died from covid actually did

more died of the flu in the same time period

most of the world is pushing biden to disarm america

in the end america will have to over throw the government to stop them.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
here is the truth

the already have many cures for cancer

the virus was no accident

fauci is a total liar

the plan was to stop trump and his new china -us trade deal

maybe a quarter of the people they say died from covid actually did

more died of the flu in the same time period

most of the world is pushing biden to disarm america

in the end america will have to over throw the government to stop them.

You do realize that’s waaaaaaay too simple an answer. 😉😉😉
Originally Posted by greydog
A spike in local cases has been concurrent with an increased number of people who have been vaccinated.

This has been observed all over the world. When the trend for COVID cases is dropping, and then the vaccine becomes available, there is a large spike in COVID cases. It's observed over and over, in exactly that pattern.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Translation...doesn't own shares.

No insider interested in huge profits would bother with Ivermectin because it's now produced generically, since the patent expired a long time ago.

False = Faux = Fauci
© 24hourcampfire