Home
Posted By: milespatton ice chest test - 06/25/21
I bought this cooler yesterday, today I am testing it. Ozark trails It is in the back of my truck, under a fold back cover, which is black, and a white truck. In full sun. I placed a gallon milk jug full of ice that has been frozen for two days, in a chest type deep freeze, in the truck at 1:15 pm. Last night the low was 78f, and forecast to be 77f tonight. Todays high is forcast at 93f and is currently 91f with a heat index or 103f. Only time that I will open it is after three days to check progress. Open, look, shut. then daily until it melts. miles
Posted By: slumlord Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Yawn

Always prime the cooler first before setting out.

I sacrifice a bag of ice the night before. Dump all and then pack it with hopefully already frozen or pre chilled goods.

I know you have me on ignore cause youre a squat to piss whiney douchebag. Take it for whatever.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
sacrifice a bag ? that's cheat'n

Miles ,

Won't even be cool water in two days - it's HOT
Posted By: dale06 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Priming a cooler makes a big difference. I always do that if I need many days of cold.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Good advice about cooling the ice chest.

Being an attention ho and calling someone else a douchebag is not so good. GFY!
Posted By: OldHat Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Agreed, Priming is the key.

Cold is the lack of heat. You want to draw out the heat in the insulating material of the cooler before using the cooler.
Posted By: ribka Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21

thanks handy man.

Originally Posted by slumlord
Yawn

I sacrifice a bag of ice the night before. Dump all and then pack it with hopefully already frozen or pre chilled goods.

I know you have me on ignore cause youre a squat to piss whiney douchebag. Take it for whatever.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
What is the definition of melted? 5% ice remaining?

How big is the cooler? 35 qt (nice cooler for $100)

My guess is 24 hrs for a single 8 lb jug of frozen water. I will be pleasantly surprised if it makes it to 48 hrs.

Four frozen 8 lb jugs would be a far different story.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Why? thousands of same tests on utube comparing hundreds of coolers over the years.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
It may take a while for the block to melt but I doubt the temp in your cooler ever dropped below 70F.
Posted By: krp Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
1 gallon will melt fast, to be efficient it needs to have more Ice and less air.

I also have water jugs and 2 liter pop bottles frozen to put in hours before to cool it down, take them out and back into the chest freezer for next time before loading.

When they say 7 days or whatever I think that is packed to the gills with ice, little air.

Kent
Posted By: milespatton Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Says on the label that it will keep ice for 5 days. This is just a simple test to see how things go. If it seems like it is worth while, I will fill it with ice and bottle water, and test that. I plan on using it in late July for an extended period. Just trying to learn it quick. I have a Pelican that held ice real well when new, but after a few years not as well. Still better than the old plastic colemans, but not as good as when new. miles
Posted By: ringworm Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Field & Stream did a test few years ago where they placed blocks of ice in each cooler and measured the amount of water that ran out over a 24-hour. The Cabela's cooler beat the yeti hands down. I highly recommend them for the money unless you're concerned with having the word yeti on your ice chest.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...anked-and-reviewed-2/?src=SOC&dom=fb

Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Given how well a near paper thin styrofoam cup will protect you hand from hot coffee and that styrofoam is cheap. It seems to me any cooler should easily insulate well. We’re not talking about hi tech and patents or trade secrets here. It’s some styrofoam with a plastic shell to keep it from breaking apart.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
If you have the freezer room, I've put the whole cooler in, and loaded it in the morning.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Sounds good for a walk in freezer
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
I have a Yeti 35 I took on a fishing trip this week. I didn't pre chill it. Tuesday morning I threw in a bag of ice. And.filled it with water, beer and sprites that were hot. Left it in the boat. Added drinks and we kept a box of worms in it so it was opened often. Fished Tuesday and Wednesday filled it with more drinks that weren't cold wednesday. Thursday at noon when I arrived home the ice bag was 1/3 full of ice. And the few drinks were ice cold. I have had it several years and they work. They are heavy and awkward to move around. They cost too much for a piece of plastic. People will steal them if you leave them unguarded. But they work.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Originally Posted by milespatton
Says on the label that it will keep ice for 5 days. This is just a simple test to see how things go. If it seems like it is worth while, I will fill it with ice and bottle water, and test that. I plan on using it in late July for an extended period. Just trying to learn it quick. I have a Pelican that held ice real well when new, but after a few years not as well. Still better than the old plastic colemans, but not as good as when new. miles

Miles with the pelican I have the seal went bad so I contacted them and they sent me one at no charge, easy to replace also.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Why? thousands of same tests on utube comparing hundreds of coolers over the years.

Because he is another whiney, old douchebag that cannot navigate Youtube and hasn’t sprung for new cooler since the piece of crap $6 styrofoam job he bought in 1974.

He thinks miss lynn is a hot piece of ass
Keep the cooler itself as cool as possible, in the shade.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
I loaded a "pre chilled"45 yeti with a bag of ice and refrigerated goods Wed AM. 9ish.

This Am at 7, it was all water. Put another 10# bag of ice in it.

Hot as balls here. Currently about 100. Supposed to climb to near 120 by Tuesday.
Posted By: Judman Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21

Because he is another whiney, old douchebag that cannot navigate Youtube and hasn’t sprung for new cooler since the piece of crap $6 styrofoam job he bought in 1974.

Haha god damn I just peed!! 😂😂
Posted By: strikeu Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Yawn

"squat to piss whiney douchebag" I'm stealing that one
If you can, bury it, cover with sod.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

JFC
Posted By: BobBrown Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21

JFC

Fugkin Iowa
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Rock salt.

Your welcome.

(Double edged sword. It’ll freeze beer iff’n you ain’t careful. )
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21

JFC

I’m literally LOL here. I’m not sure if that was meant to be funny or for real.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
It is obvious most of you don't know Miles.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
That's akin to my own "Sittopee" -- but less stylistic.

Miles, the fact is that there are indeed a gazillion TwoYubes videos about "cooler tests." All of them pretty contrived but objective. The bottom line is that any cooler will work best if it is: prechilled; packed to the brim with "below zero" block ice, and stowed in the shade in moderate temps.

If you just throw a little bit of ice into a warm cooler and then sit it in sunlight, NO cooler will match its claims.

I have the usual assortment of coolers. Soft sides to keep a few drinks and food cool on trips, a plastic and foam one for tougher conditions, and a "high tech" one for multiple day trips away from any resources. (Mine is a 35-qt from Utah-made Lifetime Products) It's fabulous.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
Originally Posted by 45_100

Yeah you're right, but when you're an 'attention ho' you gotta find something or somebody to talk about and show others how smart you are.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Yeah you're right, but when you're an 'attention ho' you gotta find something or somebody to talk about and show others how smart you are.

Well I’m all tore up.

Are you going to contribute any worthwhile data to your friend’s cooler conversation or just piss and moan?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
It happens that I do know Miles - from the Padre Island trip hosted by Roger some years ago. Helluva nice guy, salt of the earth.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: ice chest test - 06/25/21
I used to put a wet white towel over the top of the cooler as a little extra insurance.
Posted By: Terryk Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
I have a medium sized RTIC coller, and I am not too impressed. For the weight and bulk, it does not have much capacity. I think a larger one would be better. Bought it sight unseen from the internet, so that was a bad call on my part. 8itch was made in china too, so that was a bigger mistake. I think Lifetime are USA.
Posted By: OldHat Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by StGeorger
I used to put a wet white towel over the top of the cooler as a little extra insurance.

That's a good idea.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
I'm a bit of a cooler junkie myself,

but have yet to see one jusitify the cost, limited interior capacity or weight penalty..

300 hundred bucks buys a ton of ice. (literally)

Regarding the OP and his one gallon frozen bottle, will be water by tomorrow.

I sit to pee. It keeps my shoes dry. Seems like the logical thing to do, to be honest.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Given how well a near paper thin styrofoam cup will protect you hand from hot coffee and that styrofoam is cheap. It seems to me any cooler should easily insulate well. We’re not talking about hi tech and patents or trade secrets here. It’s some styrofoam with a plastic shell to keep it from breaking apart.

They ship frozen salmon and halibut from Alaska anywhere in the lower 48 and it stays frozen fine with a Styrofoam container. I suppose if it gets lost you are in trouble. LOL
Posted By: blindshooter Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Is it bad that I find most of my coolers beside the road?

A little Flex Seal for the road rash and they are good to go.
Posted By: ribka Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
ha

Originally Posted by Judman

Haha god damn I just peed!! 😂😂
Posted By: hookeye Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Sit to pee because if in a hurry and you try to pee faster, you could fart......and after age 50, well farts cant really be trusted.

Yeah yeah, could DVR the Simpsons and not have to hurry during commercials.....
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Well I’m all tore up.

Are you going to contribute any worthwhile data to your friend’s cooler conversation or just piss and moan?

Awww, what's the matter, truth hurts? Got that 'little man syndrome'?

If you would read, I agreed with you about priming/cooling the ice chest before using it. But I guess you just looked over that, so you could trash talk about someone and show people how smart you are.

Hope you have a good day.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Just buy an ARB plug in and be done with ice altogether.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Well I’m all tore up.

You're getting a little out of control, Randy happens to be a hell of a nice guy.

I don't know what's up with you lately but I know I don't appreciate it.
Posted By: milespatton Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Again, I am not trying to keep anything cool a long time, right now. What I am doing is a test, and I am doing it now because it is long hot days, and hot nights. I have my pelican sitting right beside it with ice and bottled water. I add ice and water every day, and I drink a lot of water out of it. The opening and closing and adding hotter drinks makes it not keep for days, but with the test one thing that I am looking at is by keeping it closed. If after three days all the ices is gone, I will try two days. miles
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a medium sized RTIC coller, and I am not too impressed. For the weight and bulk, it does not have much capacity. I think a larger one would be better. Bought it sight unseen from the internet, so that was a bad call on my part. 8itch was made in china too, so that was a bigger mistake. I think Lifetime are USA.

Lifetime are USA made.

From what I’ve seen. There’s a couple different “levels”.

The blue’ish one that Walmart sells. Kinda hollow. Not the same as a yeti.

The stone / slate grey one that Sams club sells. It’s more on the lines of yeti. More costs more. Say $165 for the 60 qt.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
What are we testing again?

My coolers need to haul chiiled quarters across the country in the back of the truck. Doesn't take much insulation to do that.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What are we testing again?

My coolers need to haul chiiled quarters across the country in the back of the truck. Doesn't take much insulation to do that.

Keepin Keystone light 30 pks cooooOooold.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Since I no longer recreate my cooler use is basically water and lunch box.

And I just may have perfected the ultimate day work setup...
Posted By: krp Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
I paid 125.00 for a 65qt rtic 5 or 6 years ago when they had a super clearance. Never figured I'd buy a roto cooler before that with the prices. It's been great.

For any cooler to be efficient they need to be as full as possible of ice and items, obviously keeping shaded and a cover helps.

I mostly use it for drinking ice so it starts full and lasts a week.

Kent
Posted By: deflave Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Are you saying she isn’t?
Again, I am not trying to keep anything cool a long time, right now. What I am doing is a test, and I am doing it now because it is long hot days, and hot nights. I have my pelican sitting right beside it with ice and bottled water. I add ice and water every day, and I drink a lot of water out of it. The opening and closing and adding hotter drinks makes it not keep for days, but with the test one thing that I am looking at is by keeping it closed. If after three days all the ices is gone, I will try two days. miles

And if you had an ounce of sense you’d know what’s been posted on here 500 times.

Perhaps Facebook proved less valuable than you realized. LOL
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
All I know is I ain't payin' no $300 for no f u c king cooler. Every redneck around here in the oil patch gots one bungee strapped in the back of their flatbad just beggin' for a tweaker to lift. Hell, even the Walmart knock-offs are too freaking high.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Ice is cheap.

You all live closer to store bought ice than I do.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Yeah, but you're an eskimo and we all know you've got a locker or something full of ice year around.
I never buy ice, pain in the ass.

Ice packs much easier.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
All I know is I ain't payin' no $300 for no f u c king cooler. Every redneck around here in the oil patch gots one bungee strapped in the back of their flatbad just beggin' for a tweaker to lift. Hell, even the Walmart knock-offs are too freaking high.

Yep. Every Pipeline Welder and Oilfield Worker from Abilene to Midland has one bungee strapped on the back of their truck here in TX. If the Meth Heads had any brains, they could make a fortune stealing them.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Ice packs much easier.

Dad always froze old plastic Butter tubs full of water for the ice in his old aluminum Stanley Water Jug he kept in his JD Tractor.
Posted By: Steve Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Didn't read the whole thread but a couple trips through Grand Canyon taught me a little. Freeze water in layers in the bottom of the cooler until it's about 2/3s full. Put a mylar bubble pack over the ice. Load your precooled perisahables on top. Then cover with another layer of mylar bubble pack.

Keep a wet towel over the top of the cooler and leave it in the boat. It will be 20-30 degrees cooler over the water.

Only get into the cooler right before a meal and have a list of what you need. Drain every day or two (save the water if you can for cooling beers).
Came off 17 day trips in Juy and August with ice.

I use the same technique in my cooler old Rubbermaid 105 qt on other rivers but with block ice (Don't have an walk-in freezer). Line the bottom with them and follow the same deal-ee-oo as above. 7-10 trips with lots of ice at the end.
Posted By: ribka Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

truff
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Ice packs much easier.

Dad always froze old plastic Butter tubs full of water for the ice in his old aluminum Stanley Water Jug he kept in his JD Tractor.

I got fancy and ordered a couple that fit perfectly in a soft cooler.

Supposedly they thaw slower than ice. No mess, no soggy chow!
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
My Dad did the same thing!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Get you a glass gallon jug and cover it with wet burlap.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Yes pre cool any cooler before use for best results.

Anyone mention that cold air sublimates (sinks) so putting the ice on top of everything allows the cold to sink around everything and ultimately keeps it colder.

With my Yeti and Grizzly rotomolded coolers I only mess with ice for drink coolers, otherwise dry ice and am quite happy.
Posted By: duck911 Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Well, it's all been covered, thread closed.

I will say though, the poster who mentioned rock salt is dead on and it is usually overlooked. I have a small arsenal of Otterbox coolers (similar to Yeti) because my son can get them for cost as an Otter employee.

Pre-cooled and loaded with cold items, ice with rock salt will keep drinks cold in those coolers for 2 weeks.

Hell, I am still drinking ICE COLD Colt 45's ice cold from last Sat's Juneteenth party.
Posted By: ironbender Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Yes pre cool any cooler before use for best results.

Anyone mention that cold air sublimates (sinks) so putting the ice on top of everything allows the cold to sink around everything and ultimately keeps it colder.

With my Yeti and Grizzly rotomolded coolers I only mess with ice for drink coolers, otherwise dry ice and am quite happy.

That’s not what sublimate means.

Sublimate is the process of of going from solid phase to gas phase without going through the liquid phase. Dry ice does that.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get you a glass gallon jug and cover it with wet burlap.

Growing up we always took a gallon jug of water wrapped in news paper to the cotton patch. Set it in the shade at the end of a row, and it kept cold all morning. Usually refilled at noon. miles
I have froze beer in an ice chest by adding salt a driving country gravel roads. I am planning on going to Quemado in late July and ice is hard to come by out at the camp ground. Close to 28 miles to the nearest ice, and it cycles through the ice machines so fast that it is not frozen hard. Usually in the camp ground for about a week, along with a few others. Last few years I have taken my camper with a gas refrigerator, but tent camping this year. miles
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by krp
I paid 125.00 for a 65qt rtic 5 or 6 years ago when they had a super clearance. Never figured I'd buy a roto cooler before that with the prices. It's been great.

For any cooler to be efficient they need to be as full as possible of ice and items, obviously keeping shaded and a cover helps.

I mostly use it for drinking ice so it starts full and lasts a week.

Kent

I did the same. I bought two 45s and a 65. Wish I would have bought two 65 and only one 45. When I first got them I was disappointed. I didnt know how to use them. I filled one up with warm drinks and a bag of ice and headed for camp. By the time I got there the ice was melted. I learned real quick to use cold drinks and prechill. I was impressed after I learned how to use them.
Originally Posted by duck911

I will say though, the poster who mentioned rock salt is dead on and it is usually overlooked. I have a small arsenal of Otterbox coolers (similar to Yeti) because my son can get them for cost as an Otter employee.

Pre-cooled and loaded with cold items, ice with rock salt will keep drinks cold in those coolers for 2 weeks.

Hell, I am still drinking ICE COLD Colt 45's ice cold from last Sat's Juneteenth party.

What are we doing with the Rock Salt?

How, where and the physics please.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Ice packs much easier.

Dad still freezes milk jugs or used up distilled water jugs for cooler use. Also places an old towel on top of everything once the cooler is loaded.

May not get beers as cold as being surrounded by ice but does a pretty damn good job.

The cooler he uses most is probably 10-15 years old. Too tight to buy any of the new fangled stuff.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
A lot of times when I take my quart thermos for a long morning hunt I’ll prime it first with hot water from the tap before filling it with coffee.

Seems like priming an ice chest would have similar results.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Ice packs much easier.

I got fancy and ordered a couple that fit perfectly in a soft cooler.

Supposedly they thaw slower than ice. No mess, no soggy chow!

Which packs are you using SamO?
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Gah Lee.

Booomers and the internet. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤪
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
I didn't read all four pages, so pardon me if this was mentioned. I bought a $12 indoor/outdoor temp gauge and zip-tied the outdoor element to the inside of my dogs' crate to monitor the temp. Someone mentioned air temp in the cooler. Buy one of these inexpensive gauges, tie a piece of string to the element and close lid on the string to hold element above the ice. You can monitor the inside temp without having to open the cooler.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

These guys, just got 'em, no test yet.

They are thin and fit well in my fairly narrow cooler. If I had a larger cooler I'd get thicker packs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08QZ6S45C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Posted By: Chisos Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a medium sized RTIC cooler, and I am not too impressed. For the weight and bulk, it does not have much capacity. I think a larger one would be better. Bought it sight unseen from the internet, so that was a bad call on my part. 8itch was made in china too, so that was a bigger mistake. I think Lifetime are USA.

Bought one too, about 4 or so years ago, after Yeti pulled their support for Friends of the NRA and posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs (concealed carry not allowed) on their store in Austin. I'm really disappointed in RTIC as this thing is useless. Two days on the inside of the house and all the ice is melted. Igloo beats this thing by a mile.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
So much depends on how you want to use a cooler.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Somewhere I read that a lot of cooler lids are not insulated (hollow). The fix was to buy a can of spray foam insulation, drill a number of holes in bottom side of lid and fill-up. Check y-tube.

They are thin and fit well in my fairly narrow cooler. If I had a larger cooler I'd get thicker packs.

Sammo, Do they bulge has they freeze like every other ice pack I own?

I've got a few that resemble watermelons.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Lifetimes are made right here in Utah, about seven miles from my house. They have several "outlet" stores. I bought my 35-qt as a factory second for $75. I can't find a flaw in it, so they must be really persnickety about quality control. It just fits between the seats of my boat, and I got it for a five-day fishing trip on Lake Powell. Trip didn't happen so I can't vouch for how long it holds ice in tough conditions.

With any cooler that might sit in the sun, though, covering it with a Mylar "Space" blanket makes a huge difference in ice retention. I tie a cord around the whole thing to keep wind from blowing the blanket off.
Very slight bulge, you would have to look to even notice.

I may have over filled them, in the usual hurry and didn't follow directions...

pffftttttt......Be serious, Men don't read directions.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
I over analyzed and ended up buying a Canyon cooler few years back. . Heavy but no worse than others. I like that the inside walls go straight sown- not tapered. I like the latches better too. American made, lifetime warranty. Cost was less than Yeti or Artic at the time but I just look and Holy S ...I paid half what they are going for now.

I have a smaller much cheaper igloo for drinks that isn't very good but am amazed at the improvement laying a sheet of tin foll on top (inside) accomplishes.

Oh, it’s not slight.

And I can see it.

From here.

Duck can even make a cooler sound gay.

LOL

“Small arsenal.”
Posted By: BobBrown Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Gah Lee.

Booomers and the internet. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤪

Kenneth dumb as a rock

You ain’t never heard of sprinkling salt in a pot of water to get it ta boil quicker?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Lifetimes are made right here in Utah, about seven miles from my house. They have several "outlet" stores. I bought my 35-qt as a factory second for $75. I can't find a flaw in it, so they must be really persnickety about quality control. It just fits between the seats of my boat, and I got it for a five-day fishing trip on Lake Powell. Trip didn't happen so I can't vouch for how long it holds ice in tough conditions.

With any cooler that might sit in the sun, though, covering it with a Mylar "Space" blanket makes a huge difference in ice retention. I tie a cord around the whole thing to keep wind from blowing the blanket off.

When I went looking for a cooler a few years back I intended on buying the Lifetime as it was a quality product and made in USA. I wanted a basket for the top to keep things you don't want wet but they didn't have anything. I emailed them and they said they didn't have any plans for it anytime soon, I ended up with the Ozark Trail 52qt, nice cooler but not made in the USA.
We have a nice Igloo brand cooler, free, Producers seedcorn logo.
If you keep the lid on tight, the plain strofoam coolers free from the vet office work well.
You don't see these often.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Fubarski Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Little bit more $, but much more effective, if you have a deep freeze:

https://www.amazon.com/Lasting-Ice-...24719144&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-9

5 degrees steada 32. Go on the bottom.

So, if ya put cubes over the top, when the cubes melt the water forms a layer of ice at the bottom.

Makes things colder longer.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Two trips down the Grand Canyon with some friends on a private trip showed me the science of coolers and cooler management. These folks that do it for years got it down. Back then most of the coolers were yetis. We still had ice in a few of them on day 19 (iirc), but that was a record according to some. I heard otter box mentioned, and it is cool to know they are now selling coolers. I talked with Otterbox back in '98 when they were just getting started as I worked right down the road at DRI. I still have a little waterproof cigarette box that they gave me. I use it to keep my licenses and a few bucks in it when I am in the back country.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Did you just buy two empty 2L bottles with a little ground up salt in em, for $23.00?
Originally Posted by deflave

Oh, it’s not slight.

And I can see it.

From here.

#sodbuster.........lol

Originally Posted by Fubarski

Did you just buy two empty 2L bottles with a little ground up salt in em, for $23.00?

I might have, bought them based on dimensions.
Posted By: ironbender Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21

Long Lasting Large Cooler Ice Pack: Our TOURIT Cooler Ice Pack has high-performance powdered formula inside and you only need to add the water once. It retains coldness much longer than ordinary ice cubes.

I bet it’s special proprietary stuff!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: ice chest test - 06/26/21
Not into the whole how long I can keep ice thing.
It's not important to me.

But doing softball, travelling and picnics, I like to keep the
weight down, and the watery mess to a minimum.

For our use, that means getting everything cold, and freezing
bottled water in the chest freezer.

No extra weight, no slop, no extra expense.
And I drink the "ice" if it thaws. If it don't, it will fast, out of the cooler.
If in a motel, I use the in room freezer to freeze the max number of bottles possible, chilling any additions before they go into the cooler.

Works for us.

No use at all for the high dollar coolers.
Too much money, weight, too little capacity.

But as someone else said.

You need to know what you want from a cooler.
Posted By: milespatton Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Well, it seems that you gentlemen were correct. After three days, no ice left. Water was still pretty cold but I did not take its temperature. Might fill it with ice and bottled water and see how that goes. miles
Posted By: blairvt Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Yawn

Have you ever thought about just shutting the [bleep] up? [bleep] like you are ruining this place. 12 posts per day and none add anything productive. thought about getting a life? Getting outside and doing something? Got any kids/grandkids playing little league? Volunteer to mow or drag the fields. Anything to keep from being a miserable old [bleep].
Posted By: add Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by blairvt
Yawn

Have you ever thought about just shutting the [bleep] up? [bleep] like you are ruining this place. 12 posts per day and none add anything productive. thought about getting a life? Getting outside and doing something? Got any kids/grandkids playing little league? Volunteer to mow or drag the fields. Anything to keep from being a miserable old [bleep].

[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Yawn

That was kind of cundty, don't you think?
Posted By: OldHat Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Well, it seems that you gentlemen were correct. After three days, no ice left. Water was still pretty cold but I did not take its temperature. Might fill it with ice and bottled water and see how that goes. miles

You need to keep a log book.
Posted By: Raeford Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Air is the enemy here.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
My father had good cooler, fiberglass inside steel case.

Tight rubber gasket, and latch.
Posted By: slumlord Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Yawn

I’m outside every day, with my Yeti cooler. 😃

What exactly do you do that is so awesome and productive?

Post pics, please.
Posted By: K1500 Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
At least half the reason for a rotomolded cooler is to use it as a step/seat/fishing platform. If it was only about ice retention a really thick styrofoam cooler would probably equal or exceed it for a fraction of the cost.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
We get foam coolers free from our vet, good, but fragile.
Posted By: Terryk Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Locally all coolers are sold out. I wanted to get a bigger lifetime to replace my small RTIC. Lucky I got a cheapo Igloo that will do fine with free unlimited hotel ice.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Problem with most coolers (particularly the Coleman) is that the lid isn't insulated.

A couple drill holes and some aerosol expanding foam will do wonders.
Posted By: blairvt Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Yawn

Post pics, please.

I don't sit around and call everyone names. go fishing. something
Posted By: slumlord Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Yawn

Post pics, please.

Cool

Come on down, I’ll take you arrowhead hunting for about 6 hours in the hot sun, knee-high corn.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Well, what's the consensus this year?

Buy an expensive one and use less ice?

Buy a knock off of the expensive one and maybe use a little more ice?

Buy a cheap one, pre-chill it, cover it with a good insulating sleeping bag or such, and maybe use a little more ice. But you can use the money you saved for beer?

Don't buy any, but invite your rich friend with the big Yeti cooler. Get him to pay for the beer too?

Maybe the answer for some is to not use a cooler. Just drink whiskey (or whisky for those that prefer that spelling). And we all know ice in the whiskey is a no-no.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Cooler threads are never not disappointing, kinda like chain saw and oil threads. Haha.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21

Adding salt to the ice is exactly the wrong thing to do for long term storage of beverages in a cooler, unless you are trying to freeze said beverages. And then you would still be better off to freeze the beverages in the deep freeze first.

There is a place for salted ice. That place is in the transport of frozen foods. I used salted ice to bring frozen packaged fish and crab home to Boise from the Oregon Coast in the back of pickup in July without them thawing.

Just a few facts to dispell myths.
Water requires one calorie to increase one gram one degree C.

One gram of ice requires 80 calories to change form to water without increasing temperature.

One gram of water requires 600 calories to change state into vapor.

So, if you want to keep the ice in your cooler from melting, cover the cooler in wet burlap bags, or wet towels.

The transfer of heat through an insulator is directly proportional to the Temperature differential across the insulator.

The colder the freezing point of the ice in the cooler, the higher the temperature differential through the wall of the cooler, and the faster that ice will melt.

Adding salt to ice depresses the freezing point, but does not change the energy consumption required to melt the ice. It still only takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram of salted ice.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21

Tell me more about this non-name calling. I find it fascinating.
Posted By: krp Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Well, what's the consensus this year?

Buy an expensive one and use less ice?

Buy a knock off of the expensive one and maybe use a little more ice?

Buy a cheap one, pre-chill it, cover it with a good insulating sleeping bag or such, and maybe use a little more ice. But you can use the money you saved for beer?

Don't buy any, but invite your rich friend with the big Yeti cooler. Get him to pay for the beer too?

Maybe the answer for some is to not use a cooler. Just drink whiskey (or whisky for those that prefer that spelling). And we all know ice in the whiskey is a no-no.

Well I bought an Rtic 65 when they had a special clearance some years ago... 125.00 free shipping, no tax. Before that I never would consider paying the price these coolers sell for. I justified it because it was only twice what I pay for the 59.00 igloo or coleman extreme coolers that keep ice for 5 to 7 days. Should have bought 2 but I wasn't sure how they would work.

Problem with the plastic coolers is their hinges always break, and the latch, handles, the plastic sides become brittle with the Az heat and split. If you can nurse a cooler for 5 years you are lucky. I still use them on hunts I may need to pack fresh meat in. I have to use bungies and duct tape to keep them together, some I've used until they had to be thrown.

So far that 125 has proven out with the Rtic.

Should have bought 2...

Kent
Posted By: Valsdad Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Thanks Kent!
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Yawn

Post pics, please.

Cool

Come on down, I’ll take you arrowhead hunting for about 6 hours in the hot sun, knee-high corn.

Fugg him. I'll come down n have a great day with you n Rene. For realz, I hate heat but I have cooling towels Bring it!
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
I bought this cooler yesterday, today I am testing it. Ozark trails It is in the back of my truck, under a fold back cover, which is black, and a white truck. In full sun. I placed a gallon milk jug full of ice that has been frozen for two days, in a chest type deep freeze, in the truck at 1:15 pm. Last night the low was 78f, and forecast to be 77f tonight. Todays high is forcast at 93f and is currently 91f with a heat index or 103f. Only time that I will open it is after three days to check progress. Open, look, shut. then daily until it melts. miles

What is the goal here? What happens when you discover the ice has melted? Start over? Buy colder ice? Move the cooler to a different test site?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
I like coolers.

Couple weeks ago.

Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
I don't know why, but I always enjoy your videos. smile
Posted By: SamOlson Re: ice chest test - 06/29/21
Well thank you, that was one of my cooler videos...
Posted By: jaguartx Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Heres the story on Yeti and Retic.

Yeti was invented and formed by two brothers.

They eventually split apart due to differences of political philosiphy.

The one who kept the Yeti part supported the leftest lieberal agenda and his brother
started Retic in Houston and followed the conservative pathway.

At times, the Retic location in Houston has blemish sales for fully functional ice chests at vastly reduced prices.
Posted By: slumlord Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Uhh, yeah however there is no RTIC Butts online.

Get outta here wit dat knock off 😃

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Journeyman Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
I attended some meetings at a large engineering shop in Houston a while back. Heading to lunch with a friend he pointed out three Super Duty "King Ranch" edition pickups, all with Yeti stickers in the back window. Said the three guys were from New Jersey, Ohio and Colorado, and worked hard to out-Texan Texans. The really funny part was he said the stickers were knock-offs. They'd had to fire a gal in the graphics department who was making and selling them. Said the demand was so huge in the Houston area that apart from copyright issues she got none of her regular work done trying to fill orders...amazing.
Posted By: AUGrad Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Cooler threads are never not disappointing, kinda like chain saw and oil threads. Haha.

So cooler threads will prevail?
Posted By: yobuck Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
In 1970 i took my first fishing trip to Quebec.
And i continued doing that each year sometimes twice a year till i moved to Florida in the late 90s.
Of coarse ice can be an issue when remote camping for a week or more.
Back then there were no very good very pricey coolers available either.
After a few trips the number or those wanting to go grew considerably, meaning a bigger requirement of everything,
including of coarse ice.
Especially since a big percentage of them were serious beer drinkers who didnt like warm beer while out in a boat fishing all day, or sitting around a fire at night either.
So i built a large cooler from plywood with a removable but tight fitting lid.
It was lined on all sides with three one inch thick pcs of ridged foil faced foam insulation.
It was large enough to hold a single 200# block of ice we got from a local ice house.
It was kept in the back of my Chevy suburban at the place we launched our boats.
Every few days somebody would go by there and bring more ice back to the camp about 10 miles away.
The ice in that cooler never melted at all during the entire time there and gave us plenty of ice for the fish we took home.
But we also had a standard Igloo cooler at the camp and used for perishable food storage, and that was lined also with just one layer of the same foam insulation. Ice would last for several days in that cooler as well, even with it being opened more.
It took me a couple years to admit to myself that the problem wasent the way we stored the ice, but the way the ice was used, and the amount of ice that use consumed.
So i decided we didnt really need that big cooler so long as we had a couple smaller ones lined with the foam.
And we really didnt need the serious beer drinkers either, so they were given permission to go on their own.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by AUGrad

Deserves a quote.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by AUGrad

Deserves a quote.

BOOOO! HISS!!!!!!!! laugh
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

What is the goal here? What happens when you discover the ice has melted? Start over? Buy colder ice? Move the cooler to a different test site?

I’m guessing he’s timing it to see which cooler holds ice the longest?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
Hauling hay right now.

Just about sent the ol' 74 IH Loadstar into the ditch!

Lord have mercy!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: ice chest test - 07/07/21
So much depends on how you want to use a cooler.

Fact. If someone wanted to employ a really big one for, say, storing a thief for a couple weeks, and keeping cooler contents frozen, I bet covering the whole shebang with 20 yards of sod would do the trick. For 95% of my cooler needs, pre-chilling, block or gallon bottles frozen do what I need. If loose ice intended to drop temps and keep cold something big and warm-blooded for half a day in summer, a slurry always gets the nod. Ocean water+ice has done well for freshly killed tuna to 300 lbs in the round.
© 24hourcampfire