Home
I live in rural Wisconsin and I have my own area, on my own land, to shoot when ever I want or need to....

I have a few folk that live in the near distance... that also have area on their own land to shoot... and I have a small quantity of Public land near by with little to no regulations for recreational shooting...

Before the ammo shortage set in.... One guy up on a hill just a mile to the west would be out by 930am Saturday and shoot guns all day 'till 3-4 pm... non stop. And then do it all the same on Sunday... gun fire all day, all weekend, EVERY weekend.

Other land owners around me that are from urban areas come out on random weekends and do the same from time to time... Then you add in the random recreational shooter on the public land near me and all you hear all weekend and some week days in the summer is non-stop gunfire...

The 4th of July weekend reminded me of how nice it is to have the ammo shortage... and not have to hear gunfire in the country all day, every day.

Now, when I occasionally hear gunfire off in the distance.... I think.... "that guy must be wealthy..."
Originally Posted by mikieb
One guy up on a hill just a mile to the west would be out by 930am Saturday and shoot guns all day 'till 3-4 pm... non stop. And then do it all the same on Sunday... gun fire all day, all weekend, EVERY weekend.

He posts here under the handle aalf.
Good guy and really good shot. laugh
There are probably a couple libs frequenting this site who might share your enthusiasm.
I live in rural Wisconsin and I have my own area, on my own land, to shoot when ever I want or need to....

I have a few folk that live in the near distance... that also have area on their own land to shoot... and I have a small quantity of Public land near by with little to no regulations for recreational shooting...

Before the ammo shortage set in.... One guy up on a hill just a mile to the west would be out by 930am Saturday and shoot guns all day 'till 3-4 pm... non stop. And then do it all the same on Sunday... gun fire all day, all weekend, EVERY weekend.

Other land owners around me that are from urban areas come out on random weekends and do the same from time to time... Then you add in the random recreational shooter on the public land near me and all you hear all weekend and some week days in the summer is non-stop gunfire...

The 4th of July weekend reminded me of how nice it is to have the ammo shortage... and not have to hear gunfire in the country all day, every day.

Now, when I occasionally hear gunfire off in the distance.... I think.... "that guy must be wealthy..."

Move to town problem solved.
My neighbors mention my shooting occasionally.... I tell them we live in rural Montana, it is what we do......
Maybe they should move to a more appropriate place
My neighbors called the sheriff multiple times. He finally told them there was absolutely nothing illegal about target shooting in the country. I have a better and higher dirt berm than the local shooting range. I tried to talk to them about times when it wouldn't trouble them so much but they wanted zero shooting. They are cousins that moved back after living 30 years in suburban Houston.
I am down to one California neighbor, and naturally they are the ones that are concerned..... they even asked me if they needed a permit for the pistol they own for bear protection.... hahahahhahahahah
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am down to one California neighbor, and naturally they are the ones that are concerned..... they even asked me if they needed a permit for the pistol they own for bear protection.... hahahahhahahahah

I once crossed paths with some granola azzed Karen hikers while elk hunting near Bozeman. Still being many miles back in NF. They asked me why I was hunting where people come to hike and told me they didn't think that was safe. I asked why they were hiking where people come to elk hunt and confirmed, it wasn't safe.

The head Karen's head looked like it was about to explode. Maybe I should have suggested she move to Wisconsin.
Move to town and you get to hear your neighbors argue, their dog barking all day, or a car parked running on the street at midnight with the stereo blaring.
Gunfire is the sound of freedom...... smile

Even in Chicago.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Even in Chicago.

Yes... not patriots fault if they abuse that right.... good grief Toot

Hasn't really affected me but if it makes it easier for me to get public land hunting permits then I may join your club.
Take no offense.

I should have said ‘especially in Chicago ‘.

Some would say folks there are doing a very good job.

It ain’t abuse when gangbangers annihilate each other down to the lowest common denominator,

But some folks do long to find offense .
Take no offense.

It ain’t abuse when gangbangers annihilate each other down to the lowest common denominator,

Liberals are cool with it...... as for me... IDGAF if they kill each other. that will be about the only thing I have in common with lib's

Fewer yahoos at the local public range is a defanite plus. Pretty much had the range to myself this morning - no factory ammo was shot.
Take no offense.

Liberals are cool with it...... as for me... IDGAF if they kill each other. that will be about the only thing I have in common with lib's

We’re talking good abuse here, no doubt.

Like you, I and just about everyone that I know could care less in that gun control measures there and elsewheres speak clearly for themselves.

I have a few folk that live in the near distance...that also have area on their own land to shoot... and I have a small quantity of Public land near by with little to no regulations for recreational shooting...

Other land owners around me that are from urban areas come out on random weekends and do the same from time to time...Then you add in the random recreational shooter on the public land near me and all you hear all weekend and some week days in the summer is non-stop gunfire...

The 4th of July weekend reminded me of how nice it is to have the ammo shortage...and not have to hear gunfire in the country all day, every day.

Sounds an awful lot like "Rules for thee but not for me", no?

Hope no one fires up a chainsaw or a tractor on the weekend without a permission slip from Mikie. Rural living can be a real bitch...

Even in Chicago.

I would bet a bunch of Chicago homicides are justified, the shooter just walks off and disappears. Doesn't want to face a gun charge.
Originally Posted by DingoDuk

I love rural Wisconsin and try to vacation there every year. If I were ready to retire I would offer to trade places with you. You could live here and listen to sirens.
I live a mile from a 500 member Sportsmen club.

7 days week rifle fire from 9am until sunset, clay birds every night until sunset.

I love sitting outside and listening to the sound of freedom.

WS
Perhaps these fans of silence could be encouraged to support the Hearing Protection Act
Ahhhh the sound of Freedom...........Yeah it sucks.
Originally Posted by Hastings

Even in Chicago.

I would bet a bunch of Chicago homicides are justified, the shooter just walks off and disappears. Doesn't want to face a gun charge.

The shooter walks off and disappears into the crowd....they all look alike, Where are they getting all the ammo from is the real question.
I’ve never had anyone say anything to me about my guns or hunting on the public patch near here, which has gotten pretty popular for casual walkers during the Plague, except to ask how I did, or to wish me luck. One time though, a busload of middle-schoolers stared at me in my camo and carrying a SxS 12 as though I were Usama bin Laden. I was all primed to lecture them on who paid for the property they were starting their Duckie float from, but the teacher just smiled and kept quiet.

There’s an adjoining private property with a small berm built, and they blast away pretty good some days. Last season I heard some shots on the WMA, then later a hiker came by and mentioned he had expended some of his precious 9mms on his coffee cup. Later, I found the pieces. Fugger.
I live at the edge of town. There is a gun range half a mile from me. The ammo shortage has really cut back on the constant shooting. I miss the sound.
I know a few folks who have moved out of peaceful and quite subdivisions to rural properties. They didnt find peace and solitude they found Atvs running around lots of gun shots and noise. Most moved onto 40 acres or better properties with good neighbors at the time they bought. Neighbors change and less desirable neighbors moved in. I guess if you can afford or find several hundred acres you can buffer but a smaller property is risky around here from what I can see.
Originally Posted by DingoDuk

You'll still hear gunfire all day, but you will know some wasn't just popped at paper
I have a new neighbor that has gun shy dogs. She beeeeeches when I shoot. The solution was I text her before I shoot. She's harmless enough. Then on the 4th of July wife and I were watching the other neighbors shoot fireworks. Crazy biotch pulls put of her driveway to go the half mile and complain about the fireworks.

Some people have a lot of nerve...

Now the same pita neighbor is parking on the edge of my land without asking...

I'm thinking it's time to shoot a couple 30rd mags without texting and tell them they park on land without asking. Why should I extend the courtesy of a warning before gunfire??
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Even in Chicago.

The shooter walks off and disappears into the crowd....they all look alike, Where are they getting all the ammo from is the real question.
You can buy all the ammo you want on gunbroker.com. Costs a lot.
I'm taking my wife ,she shoots, 5 others that have never shot before to my gun club today. They are all her family. Ages 11 to 74, just 22 rifles and pistols, one brick will be shot.
Originally Posted by saddlering
I'm taking my wife ,she shoots, 5 others that have never shot before to my gun club today. They are all her family. Ages 11 to 74, just 22 rifles and pistols, one brick will be shot.

That is sad that someone can get to be that age without ever firing a gun.

I bet all will have smiles! smile
Not I.
Originally Posted by CBB
I have a new neighbor that has gun shy dogs. She beeeeeches when I shoot. The solution was I text her before I shoot. She's harmless enough. Then on the 4th of July wife and I were watching the other neighbors shoot fireworks. Crazy biotch pulls put of her driveway to go the half mile and complain about the fireworks.

I'm thinking it's time to shoot a couple 30rd mags without texting and tell them they park on land without asking. Why should I extend the courtesy of a warning before gunfire??

Courtesy is never a mistake. Good on you for trying. Maybe ask her if she wants to shoot your 22 sometime. She's obviously got much bigger problems than you. At least her dogs aren't pooping in your yard.
Only a Leftist would love an ammo shortage
I live on edge of town.
West of me I hear some shooting ( country ).
One guy has class 3......he aint been shooting as much.
In fact aint heard any from him for a while

Minor range stuff a little diff direction. They used to shoot eves or weekends. Some shooting but maybe once a month now.

Have heard shooting east of me, in town.
Chicago type BS.

Some water west, by ag. Goose season they light em up sunrise and sunset. Brings a smile to my facr when I hear a volley.

All I hear all weekend, every weekend, is lawn mowers.
FUDD
The ammo shortage is just awesome.

Right up until you need to buy some ammo.
I don't mind the noise of constant shooting.

Oddly enough - yesterday I picked up 2 boxes of 45 Colt (cowboy loads) locally. They had another 15 boxes on the shelf along with a pile of 224 Valkyrie, 10 boxes of 65. Creedmoor, 10-15 boxes of 10mm bear loads and maybe 100 boxes of 9mm.
I have a neighbor with a 1,000 yard range.
He often has his kids and friends over for shoot fests.
When they were having big shoot days the wife would let me know so I could tell my horseback riders to hang on tight...😁
Ammo shortage sucks ass.
I’ve never experienced one. But in general they suck and create all kinds of [bleep]
Lots of noise on my property, no neighbors close, although we watch for weird traffic & keep an eye out for poachers. The last 2 weekends we shot some Tannerite pounders while meat was grillin, I get a Kick outta them going off on the shoreline.
This weekend gonna shoot some 2 pounders. Price has come down on it because people can't get ammo apparently. LOL
All 3 of my adult children like to shoot.

I’m hoping they never experience an ammo shortage.
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by CBB

Courtesy is never a mistake. Good on you for trying. Maybe ask her if she wants to shoot your 22 sometime. She's obviously got much bigger problems than you. At least her dogs aren't pooping in your yard.

Maybe she is lonely
Ammo shortage has not affected the free public range 2 miles away. It has affected my neighbor's daily 5:00 bang fest.

Sound of freedom is music to my ears.
Ammo shortage doesn't bother me personally nearly as bad as the reloading component shortage.

Starting to wonder if we will ever see plentiful reloading components again...
Mikieb: Not me!
I am looking forward to the end of the "ammo shortage" so those folks who haven't learned from past "ammo shortages' can stock up and get back out to shooting more.
The sound of gunfire actually soothes my soul.
I live about a mile from a shotgun range and if the wind is right and my windows are open I can hear them plinking away on their designated Thursday evening shoots.
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Auk1124: You make a great point (unlike the village idiot known here as slumload" - who in 40,000+ posts in just a few years has YET to make a coherent or relevant point!).
Its been about 21 (twenty one) months of this latest "shortage" and I see NO signs of either components or munitions getting back to normal!
Puzzling this - and worrisome for many who have not learned from past shortages/experiences.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Winner winner
lot less shooting around here these days, including at my place.
Love may be a stretch, though I do find advantages when I go to the range. Lot less shooters utilizing the public range. I have been away from shooting for a few years, largely due to a shooting accident, where I experienced a back fire for lack of a better term. Kind of left me gun shy frown

Well for Decades now I have really wanted a fast twist 6 PPC in a mini action bolt rifle. well now Hornady essentially legitimized this concept with the 6mm ARC. Ammo and firearms have been hard to come by. Then ammo hit the shelves for the 6mm ARC at a fairly reasonable price in todays market. Few locally were buying the 6mm ARC ammo due to lack of firearms.

I have been waiting on a Pacnor drop in barrel for a CZ 527 for 5 plus months now. Broke down and bought a Savage Axis II in 6mm ARC to play with and fire forming brass from 220 Russian. Our new shooting range is right on the edge of town and its popularity was very good for the first couple of years pre-covid. Then the ammo shortage hit shortly after the presidential election. Shooting range use dropped off as ammo price and availability pretty much sucked the life out of the use of the shooting range.

Well I was, am sitting well on reloading supplies & managed to pick up an fair assortment of 6mm bullets and 220 Russian brass. Well I find when go to the range to fire-form brass
I have nearly no one joining me most days. Have to say I find the range way more pleasant without having the guy next to me who is shooting his 16" barreled AR with the flash suppressor nearly blowing out of my shooting position.

Yea there is a side of me that does not look forward to things getting back to normal.
It's easier to buy weed than it is a box of .22's. Y'all are f'd up.
The 2 closest neighbors and me shoot more than anyone on our road so personally I think the ammo shortage sucks!!! And we shoot rimfire matches every week so the price increase sucks!!!

Hmmph, live out in the country and bitch about other people shooting? That HAS to be at least as gay-ass a thing as I have read on the 'fire....
My neighbors mention my shooting occasionally.... I tell them we live in rural Montana, it is what we do......
Maybe they should move to a more appropriate place

I have 1 neighbor who ‘squawked’...
Constable who shoots lives between us.

Problem solved.
Originally Posted by efw

Winner winner

I am from Wisconsin. The sound of shooting to me means that free men and women are doing what they want. Please don't group all Wisconsinites in with some grumpy SOB like the OP.
I know there’s some people who didn’t/couldn’t.. but stocking up when prices are low is the surest way to avoid any “shortages” and keep pulling triggers...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And yes... we still shoot a bit in CA

CA, Shooters are Trashy, do you $$hitt were you shoot to?? Rio7
Just try, try and find a box of plain 3006 Winchester 180gr (or any grain) Power Points....Or 270, or 308, or 243.....
Originally Posted by RIO7

CA, Shooters are Trashy, do you $$hitt were you shoot to?? Rio7

RIO...I don’t follow ?

Certifiable, Look at your pic, is that trashy? Rio7
Oh I gotcha...you’re being a twat.
Did you happen to notice the tarp layed down to catch every bit of brass and trash?

Better? As you may know RIO, us granola eaters are consummate stewards of the land..

Cert, No I didn't see tarp, you prune pickers think of every thing, good on YA! Rio7
Thanks much sir!!😎
I understand what the OP is saying, even if some missed it, I've experienced white trash, that live in the suburbs or small towns, come out to the country to do some shooting, thinking that they " own " public ground and make a bunch of noise and leave a mess.

The reality is, this country is getting too crowded, we need to push hard for Moderators, it would make a big difference in how the general voting public, which do NOT shoot, see the shooting community.

And as far as the shortage, I'm sorry, but the same dudes caught short now, will be caught short again, because they are too cheap/stupid to stock up when stuff is available. This doesn't apply to match shooters who go through more than the average Joe, but it applies to the rest of you.
Originally Posted by bowfisher
I understand what the OP is saying, even if some missed it, I've experienced white trash, that live in the suburbs or small towns, come out to the country to do some shooting, thinking that they " own " public ground and make a bunch of noise and leave a mess.

The reality is, this country is getting too crowded, we need to push hard for Moderators, it would make a big difference in how the general voting public, which do NOT shoot, see the shooting community.

And as far as the shortage, I'm sorry, but the same dudes caught short now, will be caught short again, because they are too cheap/stupid to stock up when stuff is available. This doesn't apply to match shooters who go through more than the average Joe, but it applies to the rest of you.

What do you mean by "Moderators?"
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Just try, try and find a box of plain 3006 Winchester 180gr (or any grain) Power Points....Or 270, or 308, or 243.....
How much .30-06 in 180 PP do you need?

Most of what I’ve observed is white trash that lives in the country bringing the TVs and pallets and bottles to shoot up and leave laying around.

Obviously different areas with different people will have varying impacts

You are the problem with this country.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
How much .30-06 in 180 PP do you need?

This is funny right here. I mean really how much do you need? A box? 2nd Box for good measure. Go pay yer $1.50 a rd.
Yeah you are an [bleep] if you shoot without consideration of your neighbors.
Not if he moves to Chicago
Moderator= " silencer " =can= baffled tube to lower sound signature. We should start breaking windows and starting fires in the middle of every city in this country until they are legal to buy off the shelf, push our agenda just like the communist do.

Dayum neighbors!!

I have not handloading here in Idaho for probably four or five years as there was no need given what I already had on hand. A couple of days ago I headed up to the attic to load some 32 H&R and was pleasantly surprised to see that I had 12,000 primers here. I also found 1000 of the old 250 gr .429 Nosler Partitions that I forgot I had (think Ruger carbine). I'll head out tomorrow to shoot my 32 Ruger. I do find that there is less shooting going on around here. Unfortunate but not surprised.
Our local afternoon gunfire has been replaced by fat kids on dirt bikes and also 10pm fireworks.

lol
Moderator= " silencer " =can= baffled tube to lower sound signature. We should start breaking windows and starting fires in the middle of every city in this country until they are legal to buy off the shelf, push our agenda just like the communist do.

Agree. I think maybe the Texas legislature is showing the way. I hope other states do the same suppressor legislation.

Whatafugginidiot.

Gunfire is the sound of FREEDOM.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Our local afternoon gunfire has been replaced by fat kids on dirt bikes and also 10pm fireworks.

lol

We live a mile up the road from the nursing home, and a half mile down the road from the railroad. So it is nonstop ambulance sirens and train whistles. A little gunfire would blend right in.

Forgot about the church down on the corner that plays canned church bell music out of their steeple with a stadium speaker four times a day.

No wonder I have tinnitus so bad.
SHRAPNEL!
What shortage
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I know there’s some people who didn’t/couldn’t.. but stocking up when prices are low is the surest way to avoid any “shortages” and keep pulling triggers...

And yes... we still shoot a bit in CA

What a mess.
Seriously OP?
© 24hourcampfire