Home
There is a thread here in the past about this that I could not find. Anyway I remember posting about when I was young my Mother lifting me so that I could see my Grandmother's Sister, laying in a casket. I was at the cemetery today marking where to put a monument, and just happened to walk by where this woman was buried. She was buried in 1951, and I was born in 1947. I still remember it vividly, and exactly where it was. I was not scared or anything like that, but in sure made a lasting impression. miles
“Was” buried?

Has she been exhumed?
Originally Posted by slumlord
“Was” buried?

Has she been exhumed?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bury

Dictionary says "was buried" is proper usage.
Nancy Pelosi
Originally Posted by OldHat
“Was” buried?

Has she been exhumed?

Same for [ interred ] ?

is/was ?
Keith Richards!
On a serious note, it was a car accident victim.
Originally Posted by OldHat
“Was” buried?

Has she been exhumed?

Same for [ interred ] ?

is/was ?

Either way

preshate you for lookin that up Miss Beadle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I know a guy that tried to commit suicide with a shotgun and lived. As you can imagine his head was horribly disfigured. Most of his jaw and side of face gone.
At about age three, I found my fraternal grandfather dead from a heart attack in the farm's outhouse. In my mind's eye to this day.

He was the first. More than a few since.
There are quite a few was buried in the Bible. It's odd seeing people getting so anal about grammar.
I'm not sure.
For me it was a guy on a motorcycle that went head on into a van. I was 15 or 16.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Keith Richards!
On a serious note, it was a car accident victim.

Car accident - me 4-5 years old , man ejected from car that rolled over laying in the center turn lane . My Mom cried as she took a garment to cover him , grown man 30-40 years old . We were the first to pull up to the wreck .
I was young. 17yo. People pulled a young man approx my age up onto Bob Hall pier that had drowned. Very vivid memory.

More recent. About 3 months ago I was driving on the west side of Fort Worth about 10pm. There was a Lincoln Navigator directly in front of me. Suddenly 5 shots rang out. I looked to my right and a young black man carrying a sack of groceries in a food mart parking lot went down. I followed the Navigator about 3/4 of a mile trying to get the license number. I couldn't catch up and realized I was following some very dangerous people. Went back to the food mart and the police arrived within minutes. The young man was deceased. Ended up giving and writing a report for the detectives. Pretty horrific.
I've been lucky, I've yet to see a dead body that was not in a casket.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Car accident - me 4-5 years old , man ejected from car that rolled over laying in the center turn lane . My Mom cried as she took a garment to cover him , grown man 30-40 years old . We were the first to pull up to the wreck .

Your Mother was a Good Person. Strong as well.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I know a guy that tried to commit suicide with a shotgun and lived. As you can imagine his head was horribly disfigured. Most of his jaw and side of face gone.

I also know a guy who did the same. We just figured...he couldn't do anything right.
Driver of a single vehicle rollover just outside of West Yellowstone in 1972.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

You have lived a charmed life then.
Lots of bodies in caskets.

It wasn't until I joined the fire department and ambulance crew that I saw dead people that hadn't been in a funeral home first.

Well....we watched grandpa die in a hospital bed many years ago.
I'd be fine with me, if I never do.

I duff my old seedcorn cap to all first responders, firefighters, nurses, doctors, and all that have to do the jobs.
Actual death seen on site was a kid crossing 181 in Sinton, TX on a bike and he failed to see a van coming down the road and plowed right into the kid! Drove up and blood was all over the road. That's something I'll never forget. Early 90s if I remember correctly.
Grandmother at 14 (first handle job). Saw lots on the Fire Department, pretty much everyone we did cpr on. People died in some strange places, besides in bed the toilet or bathroom is right up there. Never had to do cpr on a co-worker and for that I’m grateful. Took a bunch to the hospital but never lost any while working.

Buried a bunch after the fact. I think I had a charmed career not many parts or pieces. I am sure some of you combat veterans saw much worse, you have my respect and admiration.
Guy in our neighbor hood had his wife run off with another guy.He went into the garage ,took a hose put it in the exhaust pipe of his car and ran it into a window.A kid who lived nearby came to my house and said he thought his neighbors garage was on fire.We went to take a look and opened the garage door.Geez what a stink from the exhaust.Dude had a terrible look on his face.Creeped me out for years.I was about 6 years old.
A man, perhaps 50 years of age, laying in the middle of a rarely traveled blacktop road. He'd been hit by a car or truck and just left there. This was about 0430 on our way to hunt quail.. I was maybe 12. My dad drove to the nearest phone and called the law. No idea as to what happened next.
Saw my grandfather (fathers dad) sitting in a chair outside his barber shop. DRT. Mom hurried us kids away PDQ.
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Nancy Pelosi

Well, she not a "was".

She "still".
Right out of high school,I worked for a greenhouse tat delivered ferns to decorate around caskets in funeral homes. About a month after staring, they set me off on deliveries by myself.
We always went in the backdoor,so once inside, I called out and was told " come in here that is where I am at.I walked into the room and they had just finished an autopsy with the coroner there on guy that was drowned and in the water for about a week.Every thing was layed out on tables. It was a small town so autopsies were usually done at this one funeral home.

Puked my guts out,but I sure got over my fear of seeing dead people
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
There are quite a few was buried in the Bible. It's odd seeing people getting so anal about grammar.
Gotta get that post count up....
On the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Guy was so braindead from 9 months on station that he walked face first into the tail rotor of a helicopter. Split his head vertically down the middle and he dropped DRT.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
At about age three, I found my fraternal grandfather dead from a heart attack in the farm's outhouse. In my mind's eye to this day.

He was the first. More than a few since.

Paternal is father's side and maternal is mother's side.
One of my Great Grandfather's. I knew six of my Great Grandparents.
I don’t recall the first funeral dead person, but like Wabi I’ve been fortunate.

The only dead guy under other circumstances was a guy in Africa who’d died some hours after getting beaten up and then ripened in the sun for a couple of days. The guy was in early bloat and his dead eyes were open.

The doctor at the Dutch Mission Hospital I worked at asked me to be a witness at the autopsy, he figured the guy had died from a ruptured spleen and incised accordingly. Yep.

That was the extent of the autopsy, cause of death, not like here where they apparently look at everything.

The dead guy was definitely past his shelf life and the doctor (who didn’t smoke), puffed on a lit cigarette hands free the whole time under his nose.
It is odd to see so many people using poor grammar.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Same here.
I did see two men killed in front of me in one afternoon: at the 1975 Reno National Air Races - a T-6 caught a wing on a pylon and crashed. My Dad knew the pilot, he was a pilot for Texas International where my Dad also worked as a crew chief. During the cleanup for that disaster a wing-walker went up during the impromptu intermission and when he tried to pick up a ribbon while inverted the plane caught a downdraft and went into the runway, but the pilot pulled up and went around to land while the wing-walker was dangling in the breeze from his harness. Both accidents and deaths within 45 minutes of each other.
Summer swimming - school friend dived, hit something underwater and drowned. Struggled to get him to the bank, then jump on the bike and get help. Difficult - happy fun quickly turned to struggling with a limp lifeless buddy. A few others along the way from various causes. Admiration for those who have dealt with this in battle and as LE/first responders.
I was about 10 years old

. Family was heading to church on Sunday morning, when a neighbor lady came running to the road waving my Dad down. Dad pulled over quickly and ran to the car sitting in their driveway, a pair of legs sticking out from under the car twitching and kicking up gravel. Guy had the car up on cider blocks or some wood and it had toppled over.

My brother and I were watching from the car about 20 yards away as Dad got the car jacked up high enough to pull the guy out. Mom tried to distract us, or told us not to watch, but at 10 years old that just made me want to watch more. It must of just happened as the guy stopped moving shortly afterwards. We stayed until after the ambulance came and then we went on to church.

Weird sitting in church after seeing that, but I guess it was appropriate. Dad who always had a hard time staying away during the sermon. But not that morning.
First one was "the stiff" at college, used for anatomy classes. Looked to be a rather old fella before they fixed him for cuttin' on. Skin and muscles were missing from more than a few parts by the time I got a look at him.

Came upon a rollover accident near where I was residing/working in WA. Trauma team from work about 4 miles up the road was just arriving. Remote location, +/- 30 miles from help, minimum half hour for ambulance/EMT to arrive, longer for a helicopter. I used my Leatherman to cut the driver out of the barbwire fence while someone talked/calmed down the gal that was in good shape. Meanwhile, the lead guy on the trauma team worked CPR on the young gal in bad shape. I'd already cut the dude out of the fence and donated a blanket to keep him from going into shock too badly and walked over just as the young lady laying there turned gray and died. Just like that. Dead like Roy. Was pretty sad. Alcohol was involved.
Originally Posted by CCCC
It is odd to see so many people using poor grammar.

Well, not so odd around this place C's. wink
The first was at an open casket funeral when I was about 9 years old. Since then I've lost count. Car crashes, shootings, drownings, suicides, homicides.
Last one was my Dad about 3 years ago.
If it never happens again, I'll be just fine with that.
Don't remember the first dead body which would have been in a casket. But do remember watching my Granddad taking his last breaths while I stood at the foot of his bed when I was 16.
The first dead person I saw was one of my Great Grandfathers in a casket. I was 4 but I remember it. First person I saw die was at the lake, I was about 16 and he just fell over and some other people were giving him CPR. Last person was July 4, 2021. We got an emergency call about an elderly gentlemen and we did what we could.
Sad thread.

It not only drags up memories of the first dead person I saw, but every single one afterward.

Too many.
I was 6. Our neighbors, an older elderly couple in a 1950’s era car got hit by a train at the train track crossing a block from our house.

At aged 7, my Great Grandfather. He had a stroke or heart attack on his tractor while plowing the field. We found his tractor circling with him slumped over.
My mother. I watched her die. Seems like those I've seen pass, man or beast, you can sense when they've gone.

The one that I remember most and years before my mother:
Resevoir outside Duchene, UT. Lights underwater on a blocked off road to the reservoir. Turns out that some chick about to get married drove her pickup into the reservoir. Never saw the body. They found it the next day.

The next day I learned how horrible sage-fed beef roast was.
Probably my Aunt Maud, I was 6.

Most impressionable was my friend, he went out with his brother and they got involved in a drag race. I went on the run with my dad not knowing it was John, I watched him die. I was 15.
Other than old dead relatives at the funeral home when I was a kid, it was a dead guy in a hospital room when I worked on the hospital maintenance crew in high school. I was like "look that [bleep] dead."
Originally Posted by milespatton

First dead person that you ever saw.

My first wife.

It happened after the birth of our second child back in the 80s.

I remember rolling over in the middle of the night wanting to tap it .... it had been months. And, well, she was dead.

I divorced her a few years later.
Went on a call with my ex-FIL who was a part time King County sheriff in a very small town, people called in that there was a van sitting in the woods where they were picking morels. We got there and the van door was open, he went in to check it out and there was a dead guy inside, firefighter that committed suicide with a 25 auto and did a rather poor job of it as he ended up bleeding to death before he was found. It was pretty gruesome as the birds and small animals had pretty much made him unrecognizable, I had to go inside the van to help my FIL take pics and transport his boy to the aid car. Been a few more over the years but that was the first dead person I had ever seen not in a casket.
First was my grandfather when i saw his open casket at about 11, another i remember was a women babysitting next door neighbor kids, she had fallen down the stairs, i came by as they were taking her out of the house.
my mom, my brother.
Up close and personal....my son. He was a passenger in an auto accident. Then, three weeks later my best friend. 2003 was a very difficult year.
Probably someone at a funeral, but the first one I remember was a woman who stroked out while riding a bike. I was 6 or 7. She wasn't wearing a helmet and hit hard. My dad had been a firefighter paramedic and tried to save her. He didn't succeed.
Too many to recall. When my first grade teacher told us to draw a picture of what our dad did for a living, I drew a picture of a casket with a body in it. Everyone got a kick out of it and I didn't understand why they thought it was so entertaining.
I was 18 or 19 and had joined the local volunteer emergency squad. Elderly lady stepped into the street from between the snow banks and got hit by a car. Literally knocked some of her brains out.
Motorcycle wreck up the street from our house. Remember mom jumped out, me right behind her. Poor kid was laying in the intersection bleeding out of his ears, nose, mouth. He lived 4 houses up from us, probably 18 at the time.
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Up close and personal....my son. He was a passenger in an auto accident. Then, three weeks later my best friend. 2003 was a very difficult year.

Damn… just, damn….
About 10, in a funeral home.

Side note:

Spending a lot of time in the military makes you see things you wish you had not. Natural death from old age or sickness doesn’t bother me. Other forms of it, bothers me a lot.
Dead priest that rode a motorcycle. We had to view the body and do the Rosary in catechism class. I was 8 maybe.
This is not a story that I share with my family...

I found my dad at his house... Sitting naked on the floor at the foot of his bed after 3 days. Thank goodness it was cold out.

It was the last day of deer season, Sunday night. Dad was cooking soup on the stove and had the TV on and wood stove going strong.... I sat with him a few minuets catching up and chatting about nothing. He actually got a small buck that year, early in the season... so he was feeling pretty good. I would always stop in every few days and check in on Dad.

Later in the week.... I was going to stop by and check in on him on Wednesday but got busy... so, I stoped in to visit with him on Thursday night... as soon as I opened the door I knew something was bad, it was November... he heated his house with wood and it was always warm at dad's house... when I opened the door, the TV was on and it was cold in the house. I looked over to the stove and the batch of soup he was cooking Sunday night was still on the stove. I moved thru the house and found him sitting on the floor at the foot of his bead. He had pulled a blanket off the bead and wrapped himself up and seemed to be accepting of his situation.

After looking over the situation... I couldn't find his phone. And, I didn't have mine. So I had to go 4 miles back to my house to call the coroner. I was told by the operator that the coroner was in my area and was at a site where a man was killed in an accident and it would be a while before she could get over to my Dad's house. So I went back to Dad's place and waited with Dad. 4 hours later... 1030pm at night, a Sheriff squad pulled in followed by a plain van.

In them 4 hours I was waiting... I saw blood smeared on the floor on a pattern. I was able to put together what happened.

Some time on Sunday night, he turned off the soup. left the TV on... went to bed. Then, at some point he got up because something was wrong with his hart. He had one leg amputated at the knee some time ago and an open sore on the foot that he had left. In a panic he was looking for his phone and pulled out his sock drawer and pulled all the socks out looking for his phone... then crawled leaving blood streaks from his open sore on his foot, across the floor of his house out into the garage to the drivers door of his truck, either trying to get in his truck and drive to help, or he was looking to see if his phone was in the console of his truck. Not being able to get in his truck from his hands and knees, he crawled back into the house leaving streaks of blood from his foot on the floor back to the foot of his bead... too weak to get back up into bead... he pulled to blankets off the bead and wrapped him self up and died.

It sounds like a sad story of a man dyeing alone... but really, knowing my dad... he would be just fine with it. I don't expect it to be much different for me when I go,,, me and my dad have the same personality.

Cleaning out his house... I found his phone in his sock drawer... he just didn't dig far enough to find it.
I saw plenty when I was a paramedic. Worked a plane crash when a Beechcraft Bonanza crashed into the ground at 210 mph with 4 people on board. I'm still trying to forget that one.

Frogsnacks.

Sorry.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I saw plenty when I was a paramedic. Worked a plane crash when a Beechcraft Bonanza crashed into the ground at 210 mph with 4 people on board. I'm still trying to forget that one.

I have found that it was the live ones that are the tough ones to deal with.
motor cycle accident about a minute after it happened. Guy and a girl neither had helmets, they looked like rag dolls in the street. My uncle was driving and my grandma was in the passenger seat. She started weeping at the site of everything as we drove passed. My uncle was in the Phillipines in WWII and wasnt startled at all. He replied, Dang, look at the bodies. I was around 16 years old.
Saw dead Iraqis covered with tarps in Desert Storm, only their feet sticking out. I was driving a hum v and glanced over as our convoy rode past
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Jim, I guess I've been lucky so far. Whenever we get to a call, the family/friends leaves us alone. Sometimes it's a little hard to get info from them, but never a confrontation.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Jim, I guess I've been lucky so far. Whenever we get to a call, the family/friends leaves us alone. Sometimes it's a little hard to get info from them, but never a confrontation.

The one that sticks with me was listening to a little kid...probably less than two years old...bawl for its mother in the waiting room.

I was zipping up the body bag at the time.

You are right though....usually folks are pretty good about it.
My Grandmother, my mother, father, and little sister. Also my favorite uncle, saw them all before the coroner went to work.

I miss them.
Not counting open casket funerals, 5 dead in a head on collision a couple hundred yards down the road from the tobacco barn I working on with my grandfather. I was about 7 or 8.

Black guy had a heart attack on a tractor and rolled off under the rear wheel. He was popped open pretty bad. I was around 13 or 14 then.

Watched my first wife die in a hospital room then just a few years later my mother in another hospital room.

Calling the first wife's parents with that news was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

A childhood friend lost his 31 year old son last Sat. I'm not going to his funeral, I think I'm done with funerals. Not even going to be one for me, already fixed that.
Found a corvette flipped in a ditch. 2 people had drown. Next was burnt bodies from napalm.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

The one that sticks with me was listening to a little kid...probably less than two years old...bawl for its mother in the waiting room.

I was zipping up the body bag at the time.

You are right though....usually folks are pretty good about it.

Don't know how you guys do that on a regular basis.

I appreciate all of you, especially volunteers.
Blindshooter

I can not imagine what you went through God bless you.
Suicide by 45 pistol. I wish I could forget it.
Originally Posted by Fastback65
Blindshooter

I can not imagine what you went through God bless you.

24 years ago. Her mom is still alive, I go by and talk to her regularly.

Life goes on until it don't. Just the way it is.

Live today like it might the last!
I saw cadavers in coffins when I was young.

When I was 18, me and some friends went to the coast.
We were walking near the beach when a diver was coning in, yelling to get our attention.
He was pulling someone with the classic lifeguard hold, keeping his head above water.
Thinking I was going to help save someone’s life, I waded out to chest deep water and graded the victim pulling him the rest of the way up on to beach.
The second I grabbed him, I knew it was too late, he was gone.
I've only seen 2 outside of funerals. One was a dead guy lying on the pavement after he rolled his van. The other was my 1st wife sitting in a chair early in the morning after losing her battle with the C. I picked her up and put her in her bed before waking up the family.
Great thread guys.

Keep em' coming!

jeebuz
First funeral age 4, age 14 saw a neighbor took most of his head off with a shotgun. Lots of them after that
Never saw anything gruesome. Ive seen two in caskets, and was at the bedside when a buddy died, also at bedside when my mom died. Not fond memories.
Found the first one sophomore year of high school. Buddy and I found a suicide on the mountain above his house. Went back and called the Sheriff’s office. Didn’t bother me then and strangely doesn’t even now. I’ve always wondered why that was. Little weird in the head I guess. Past 17 years as a rural county LEO with the last three as Detective, I’ve gathered up a few. Car wrecks, suicides, homicides, drownings, natural causes you name it.

Dang.... Very sorry to read this. My most sincere condolences.
First was a guy who tried to auger a motorcycle through both back doors of a Ford station wagon in 1965. Bike ran a red light at high speed and t-boned the Ford. Decapitated him. Many more in service and on the job. None pleasant.
I earned a bachelor’s degree in Biological Anthropology in college. By far, the most interesting course I took was Forensics. For the final, I had to visit the State Crime Lab and sit in on and observe two separate autopsies, start to finish. That was the first time I was up close and personal with a corpse.
I think the first I saw - I would have been a kid at the time.- was a motorcyclist whose face collected the corner of the tray on a flat bed truck. I saw it happen, and he didn't even seem to hit it hard. He had a black helmet with a dark-tinted visor, and there was a bit of a white mark on the visor where he hit. Otherwise you'd never have known what happened, but he was floppy dead before he hit the ground, poor bloke.

I've seen a few since. One in particular sticks out, and that was a bloke who had just shot a bunch of people at a shopping mall and then, running out of ideas, blew his own brains out, quite literally, with an SKS. He was left out uncovered while the scene was secured and investigation commenced, and I spent a while there nearby, overlooking his corpse and talking to a bloke who'd witnessed the final moments.The main thing that sticks out is that seeing this bloke's corpse didn't bother me a bit. I did feel for the poor innocents he'd killed though.
At times life hands you some difficult issues. It can break you, it can turn your marriage into disaster. We have gotten through this tragedy but continues to be painful. Our son gave us a beautiful grandson. Our daughter in law has been a true jewel of a person. We miss him daily. MTG
Bout 20 years ago, coming home with the old lady and kids in the truck at sunset. Guy was driving a go cart down the highway with no lights, buddy of mine’s pregnant daughter hit him head on in a little Toyota or Nissan car. The highway had just been paved, guy was decapitated, lll never forget how all that blood looked on that new pavement…
have seen a lot of things being a military Medic, worse I ever had to take care of was a trooper who got ran over by an M60 Tank out at Yakima Firing Range....looked like a big version of a squirrel getting ran over by a Mack Truck....at least I didn't have to clean the body fragments out of the tank treads.

First dead body I can recall at the moment, I was 12 and the family was on vacation on the Continent, 1964, my dad was stationed in England.

We were in Italy on the AutoStrada, so sort of Alpha Sports Car convertible passed our Squareback doing well over a 100 miles an hour.

young couple about 20 something, 4 or 5 car lengths in front of us in the left lane, guys not paying attention, clips part of the median which wasn't taken care of or mowed. Car immediately flips upside down.. the blonde's in the right front seat, has her head taken off... her head went bouncing and into the ditch or weeds on the right side of the freeway.... car skids upside down, leaving a bloody trail.

Dad stopped, and got out and called me, being the oldest, to come with him...other cars stopped but we were the first and the only ones who had witnessed it.... my dad sent me to look for the woman's head in the weeds....I was 12, guess that is where I learned to go into a mechanical mode and have no emotions whatsoever...

Have an aversion to convertibles ever since....
© 24hourcampfire