Home
Posted By: auk1124 Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
I'm not a picky eater, but some things I will go out of my way for. This is one of them. For my money this is what beef jerky is supposed to taste like. Thin, tough sheets of solid beef, just the right salt, smoke and soy sauce. You gotta work at it to eat this. Looks like shoe leather. But tastes great.

"BuT MuH JeRkY ShOuLd Be TeNdEr!" Yeah, go eat a fuggin Twinkie. This shoe leather schidt is the bomb. I don't eat it very often, but when I want jerky this is what I get.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Whittington's out of Johnson City not far from my home.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Hilger meats in Hilger Montana makes my favorite.

Salt pepper garlic and smoke.

I could switch the garlic for soy too however.

I fugging hate "modern" jerky.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Man I love that stuff!

You near Horseshoe Bay?
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
I buy the jerky made for the Mexican stores here in Tucson. Don't know if it's donkey, dog or cow but it's super tough and tasty. Always take at least 2lbs to deer camp. Pards have warned me to not show up if I don't have any.
George
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Probably the stuff I make myself at times.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Deer
Posted By: copperking81 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hilger meats in Hilger Montana makes my favorite.

Salt pepper garlic and smoke.

I could switch the garlic for soy too however.

I fugging hate "modern" jerky.

I know the place and definitely the real stuff.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by auk1124
I'm not a picky eater, but some things I will go out of my way for. This is one of them. For my money this is what beef jerky is supposed to taste like. Thin, tough sheets of solid beef, just the right salt, smoke and soy sauce. You gotta work at it to eat this. Looks like shoe leather. But tastes great.

"BuT MuH JeRkY ShOuLd Be TeNdEr!" Yeah, go eat a fuggin Twinkie. This shoe leather schidt is the bomb. I don't eat it very often, but when I want jerky this is what I get.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Can't believe I saw this the first post. Sliced, cured, & packaged in Bourbon Co. Ky.

Not cheap, but proper jerky IMO.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
My local butcher or my own.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Prolly best I’ve had....

Bourgeoise’s Meat Market, thibodoux la. Just north of Houma.

Bucees is pretty damn good too.

The ghost pepper jerky was HOT.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop CA. Eastern Sierra's. They produce every flavor of beef. Elk, Deer, and Bison Jerky. I'll be up in those parts in a few weeks for a fishing and drinking expedition...
Posted By: OlRufus Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Your taste in jerky runs with mine but to facilitate my old choppers in eating it I take a clean pair of tin snips and cut it up into nice bite sized pieces.
Posted By: morecowbell Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Old Trapper original or Hot and Spicy to keep the wife out of it.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
I made about 10 lbs of smoked game jerky last fall. It disappeared at camp quick. Good use for all the spring snow geese we shoot.
I make all of my own, mostly deer and sometimes turkey. I cannot stomach not knowing who handled it or what the meat may be. Made 15 lbs out of deer loin back in June for our family vacation. Nieces and nephews are like piranha when I unpacked the bags once we got to the cabin.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Originally Posted by EdM

Man I love that stuff!

You near Horseshoe Bay?

Johnson City is between me and Horseshoe Bay. I'm between Bergheim and Kendalia.
Posted By: add Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by morecowbell
Old Trapper original or Hot and Spicy to keep the wife out of it.

Actually, that stuff is pretty good for widely available.
Posted By: pullit Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
I get the Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy a lot just because it is not bad and is easy to come by
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
The Best Stop, Scott, LA
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt
The Best Stop, Scott, LA

I have to fight the steering wheel on my Tundra when east bound on I-10 to keep it from taking that exit. I lose.

Good stuff for sure and you can empty your wallet in there.

And the Cracklings.
And the Boudin,
Posted By: poboy Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Whittington's Jerky, as per Hanco, has had a brick and mortar store since forever.
Must be doing something right.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Jack Links Teriyaki
Posted By: Torqued Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Managua beef jerky is what I used to get when I was spending a lot of time at KTP.
Best damn jerky I have had that wasn't home made.
Made with real meat,not that chopped and reformed crap
Posted By: Raeford Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Deer

That
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
My favorite is made out of thin sliced deer.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Excellent jerky !!
Used to get alot of it.
Cant find local anymore.

But it is $$$

MINGUA
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
No Man's Land, mild
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Pollacks jerky in Falls City.

I get jerky that's made by a local place, Knee Deep Cattle Co.

There jalipeno (SP?) is dried out, almost "bone dry" so you gotta really chew to eat it!

Darn good stuff!

There's another place near Cave junction, Or. Taylors that also makes GREAT jerky.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Deer

That

Oh stop with the venison snobbery.

Those of you claiming such have never had well-done elk jerky, moose jerky, bison jerky or the absolute best (in terms of texture) .... big axis jerky.

Jerky making is an art and, as my Grandpappy used to say, a good jerky maker can turn a frozen dog into a tasty piece of dried meat. It's more about the seasoning than the meat. Once dried, dehydrated, most red meats have very little distinguishable taste variables. Muscle meat is muscle meat, the protein structure on a molecular level is nearly identical in all red meats ... the only difference being the difference in chain lengths of the actual protein molecule.

Jerked fish and fowl (not smoked mind you) are relatively new to the human scene but jerked red meats have been around for millenia beginning with the Incas (some claim .... although common sense causes me to question that quite honestly) ... the Incas apparently were jerking lima in the 11th century. Muslims were apparently smoking camel in the 16th century according to written record. Jerky is not the same as smoked ... smoked fish and fowl are the oldest forms of protien preservation and can be dated back 5000 years or more.

Seasoning is what makes the difference when it comes to actual jerky (as some have alluded-to in this thread) and the protein to moisture ratio, when combined with the seasonings, is what makes it both shelf stable and appealing to human taste buds. There is an art to it. The meat itself is more about the 1st cut (the actual section of the animal from which the meat was taken), the pre-aging process and the 2nd cut (the way the 1st cut is dissected into strips to be cured and dried ... cross grain, long grain, diagonally, etc.).

Sweeteners are a very new addition to the process ... molasses, brown sugar and natural stevia are corruptors of the process imho and should be considered criminal. Salt, peppers, smoke and various dried herbs are a purist's ingredients with very careful consideration given to the smoke, the wood used and to never ever allow the heat to reach above 155° F .... which, pre-thermometer days, required an experienced jerker.

Proper jerky making leads to something even better .... pemmican. The shame of modern mass produced so-called jerky is that it is a half-hearted attempt at a cross between jerky and pemmican that has been bastardized into something barely edible covered in nitrates and sugars and sold to an ignorant public as jerky ... when it would more apropos to label it slow-poison meat.

Venison is good because we hunt it, butcher it and preserve it ourselves ... and there is a lot of it eqch season. Well, most of us do. We take pride in our kill and our recipes and the nourishment it provides us ... there is satisfaction in the process. But for some of us who raise our own beef we take equal pride and find equal satisfaction in our beef jerky. We're surprised at just how good our turkey jerky has become. We love the opportunity to jerk moose and elk when tags allow.

No offense, but "deer" jerky is not a worthy descriptor of a "best jerky" asked-for by the OP friend. It's almost patronizing .... it'sdefinitely dismissive and nonchalant. It's like answering "oil" when asked for a favorite painter or "guitar" when asked for a favorite musician or "big" when asked for a favorite dog.

Vension that has been over salted or poorly cured or put-up with too much moisture and turned rancid is some of the worst jerky one might ever encounter.
^^Bruh. Relax. It’s just jerky.

12344mag got me addicted to the stuff from a local butcher. Buy a couple pounds every two weeks or so. If I don’t hide it, my boys will wipe it out in one sitting. Paul is a damned enabler.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot.

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo

Other days, me and ole Ren50 will just toss em in a ditch

😃

Posted By: AML Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Speedway carries the mingua Jerky. I buy it most times I stop there.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Jack Links Teriyaki

Lol

You are joking, right Sam?
I'll have to look when I get home. I picked up a pack of jerky at a Rez gas station on the way home from the cabin last Saturday that is pretty dang good. I'll have to see what brand it is.

I like the jerky I make out of deer on the dehydrator but it sure doesn't last long.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Never have had anything other than beef or venison to make it from, I'm sure it would be good.. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot. Same here

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Same here Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo yep

😃

Most don't know how time consuming making[good] jerky is.
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Never have had anything other than beef or venison to make it from, I'm sure it would be good.. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

As for doing jerky, I do a lot. Same here

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Same here Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

I make backstraps into jerky. boo boo yep

😃

Most don't know how time consuming making[good] jerky is.

This.

There is a reason why it is not cheap to purchase.
Not being a snob

Just use what I have. I have made elk jerky before, it was some of my best. Way better than deer, in that one instance.

I turn a whole a deer into jerky. Other schmucks be trying ration a deer and cut foo-foo medallions out of backstraps Lol

😃

God bless you.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Jack Links Teriyaki

Lol

you are joking to question that? lol
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Jack Links Teriyaki

Lol

you are joking to question that? lol

lol

To each their own I guess. Maybe it's that I don't like Jack Links texture or that I hate Teriyaki flavored jerky or both. haha
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/15/21
For store bought the stufff they sell at Buc-ee's is pretty good . You know it has a beaver on the label .
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
Not being a snob

😃

How do you keep your homemade stuff from getting tough as shoe leather? Any good recipes to share?
Posted By: mathman Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
Didn't you read the OP? It's supposed to be shoe leather tough. grin
Originally Posted by Borchardt
The Best Stop, Scott, LA

That place rocks!

We hit it every year on our way from Michigan to Houston, TX. Drive straight thru, time it so we hit it about lunch time. Load up on cracklins, boudin balls and jerky.
Posted By: scrooster Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
For store bought the stufff they sell at Buc-ee's is pretty good . You know it has a beaver on the label .

I've actually had beaver jerky .... it was a little greasy for me. Stringy too. Which brings-up a good point. It's not cool to use greasy meat to make jerky.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
Another vote for deer. Going to prep a batch tomorrow to put in the smoker this weekend.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
I used to make a lot of deer jerky but haven't in years.

Jack Links is very good for store bought. Walmart Great Value is practically the same and 10% cheaper.

Jack Links Hickory is excellent with Johnnie Walker Black.
The Best Stop is awesome. Jerky, boudin, sausage, anything. Stop every year on my way to the World Skeet shoot in San Antonio.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
This stuff is pretty good!

https://thetexasbucketlist.com/2019/02/the-texas-bucket-list-jackson-brothers-meat-locker-in-post/
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Deer

That

Oh stop with the venison snobbery.

Those of you claiming such have never had well-done elk jerky, moose jerky, bison jerky or the absolute best (in terms of texture) .... big axis jerky.

Jerky making is an art and, as my Grandpappy used to say, a good jerky maker can turn a frozen dog into a tasty piece of dried meat. It's more about the seasoning than the meat. Once dried, dehydrated, most red meats have very little distinguishable taste variables. Muscle meat is muscle meat, the protein structure on a molecular level is nearly identical in all red meats ... the only difference being the difference in chain lengths of the actual protein molecule.

Jerked fish and fowl (not smoked mind you) are relatively new to the human scene but jerked red meats have been around for millenia beginning with the Incas (some claim .... although common sense causes me to question that quite honestly) ... the Incas apparently were jerking lima in the 11th century. Muslims were apparently smoking camel in the 16th century according to written record. Jerky is not the same as smoked ... smoked fish and fowl are the oldest forms of protien preservation and can be dated back 5000 years or more.

Seasoning is what makes the difference when it comes to actual jerky (as some have alluded-to in this thread) and the protein to moisture ratio, when combined with the seasonings, is what makes it both shelf stable and appealing to human taste buds. There is an art to it. The meat itself is more about the 1st cut (the actual section of the animal from which the meat was taken), the pre-aging process and the 2nd cut (the way the 1st cut is dissected into strips to be cured and dried ... cross grain, long grain, diagonally, etc.).

Sweeteners are a very new addition to the process ... molasses, brown sugar and natural stevia are corruptors of the process imho and should be considered criminal. Salt, peppers, smoke and various dried herbs are a purist's ingredients with very careful consideration given to the smoke, the wood used and to never ever allow the heat to reach above 155° F .... which, pre-thermometer days, required an experienced jerker.

Proper jerky making leads to something even better .... pemmican. The shame of modern mass produced so-called jerky is that it is a half-hearted attempt at a cross between jerky and pemmican that has been bastardized into something barely edible covered in nitrates and sugars and sold to an ignorant public as jerky ... when it would more apropos to label it slow-poison meat.

Venison is good because we hunt it, butcher it and preserve it ourselves ... and there is a lot of it eqch season. Well, most of us do. We take pride in our kill and our recipes and the nourishment it provides us ... there is satisfaction in the process. But for some of us who raise our own beef we take equal pride and find equal satisfaction in our beef jerky. We're surprised at just how good our turkey jerky has become. We love the opportunity to jerk moose and elk when tags allow.

No offense, but "deer" jerky is not a worthy descriptor of a "best jerky" asked-for by the OP friend. It's almost patronizing .... it'sdefinitely dismissive and nonchalant. It's like answering "oil" when asked for a favorite painter or "guitar" when asked for a favorite musician or "big" when asked for a favorite dog.

Vension that has been over salted or poorly cured or put-up with too much moisture and turned rancid is some of the worst jerky one might ever encounter.

I'm sorry, did you say something about snobbery?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
If I was bored I'd make my own jerky.

Old Trapper at the store for the win.

Spendy though, rarely buy it.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
The Best Stop is awesome. Jerky, boudin, sausage, anything. Stop every year on my way to the World Skeet shoot in San Antonio.

Not knocking best stop,

Years back i stopped in there to get some cracklins.

In my mind, cracklins are fried hard. Like grannie put in cornbread.

I picked up a fresh hot sack from best stop.

Took a bite......

Thrower em out the window.

Like i said. Nothing against them. Just not what i was expecting.
Posted By: krp Re: Favorite beef jerky. - 07/16/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sliced meat for making jerky tomorrow to take Baja fishing.

Kent
© 24hourcampfire