Home
Posted By: JimHnSTL Gas Grills - 07/15/21
It seems I buy a new one every 3 years no matter how well I take care of it. My brother bought a Weber gas’s grill a few years ago, burners and heat grates and cooking grates all heavy SS. The unit itself top and bottom is 1/4” or so thick cast Aluminum. Those go for around 1500.00 and was more than I wanted to spend. Last week at Sam’s they had a “Sams “ brand and it was their Pro series. It’s a new grill for this year and it mimics my brothers Weber to a Tee if not better. 5 burner and less than half the cost of the Webber. Anyway one showed up this week at the house for my birthday, will get put together on Sunday and I’ll let you all know how it goes.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21

Have a GS4 Weber 3 burner.......'bout 2 YO now.......NG connection

$700 sumthing........great grill.......use it nearly everyday cookin' sumthing
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
I burn charcoal. I like the flavor.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

Love charcoal and have an Egg and a Webber kettle but sometimes a gas grill is nice for the week days.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Have a GS4 Weber 3 burner.......'bout 2 YO now.......NG connection

$700 sumthing........great grill.......use it nearly everyday cookin' sumthing
Got the same grill about 5 years ago. Only thing that I replaced was the flavor bars that cover the ss burners. My last weber lasted around 15 years and I replaced it with the gs4. Hope I get the same years out of this one.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Tried the more expensive grills and the cheaper one. Don’t see much differents. Bought a cuzinart last year, works great. I think it was around 300.00,stainless,5 burner plus side burner. Stainless tube burners.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
I bought a Modern Home Products grill about 12 years ago. It was I believe about $1000 then. I buy a new set of burners every 4/5 years and it’s still works great.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
I can trash a charbroil in one year, a few others as well. I get temps as high as they are capable of before I sear a steak. In other words, I run them WFO.

Had best luck with Webber. Rebuilt a 2 burner twice. Finally after 10 years the frame was breaking down. Bough another Webber this year, got cast grates, stainless burners & flavor bars from the start. A huge plus.

A 3 burner this time. Didn't think just the wife & I need that, but love the extra room & temp control. Happy with it.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
I have an 8 year old Weber that I use often, I use at 600+ degrees and that I don't do a good job of cleaning. I love the thing. I have replaced some parts, but overall I am very satisfied with it. I have seen those Sams grills, and they do appear to be sturdy. I can't remember if it has an opening in the back of the lid. Webers don't, and it allows them to trap heat. Most gas grills have a very large opening that allows too much heat to escape.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21

Chicken wings & fries on mine tonight-------- grin
Posted By: joken2 Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21

I found that regardless the brand, for simple basic grilling on gas grills, cooking whatever on a baking pan with a grate insert to catch drippings instead of directly on grill grate surface itself greatly extends the lifespan of the grill internals and has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the taste of the food, and as a added plus, it's much, much easier to clean just the baking pan than the grill internals.

[Linked Image from assets.wsimgs.com]

Posted By: RicG Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Pizz on the cheap, China made crap grills. I bought a TEC infrared grill about 5 years ago. I use it a couple of times per week. No issues what-so-ever. During a hurricane in Florida about three years ago, a tree limb fell on it. The glass was broken and one grate was bent. The company replaced both at zero cost.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Propane grills are not made to withstand the proper steak cooking temperatures. you need about 1200-1500 degrees. flimsy Propane grills are complete garbage and a waste of money.

Get a Natural Gas BBQ Galore. get the Turbo. the 4 burner 32 or 38 inch one, that's the last one you will ever need. It's about $3k.

either that or stay with charcoal. you can get charcoal to 1000 degrees in a ceramic grill.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have seen those Sams grills, and they do appear to be sturdy. I can't remember if it has an opening in the back of the lid. Webers don't, and it allows them to trap heat. Most gas grills have a very large opening that allows too much heat to escape.

Again just to clarify, the grill I am referring to is new for this year. I would bet it is the same mfr as the Webber ones. Five burners and a side burner.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
I use to burn one out every year. 3 years ago bought a Weber Genesis. Nothing is burned through in it. Have a leg of lamb in it on the rotisserie right now.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
I believe I will go with the pellet grill. My son bought one a couple years ago and it works great, no flare ups, and food taste great. You can get all kinds of flavors of pellets. Orchelin has quite a selection of pellets bulk, you put what you want in 5 gal. bucket. I am tired of using charcoal and LP gas..
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
It seems I buy a new one every 3 years no matter how well I take care of it.

I went through this cycle a number of times, until I bought a Weber about eight years ago. I have a 3-burner model, with the searing station and side burner. It was $850, if I remember correctly, purchased from a local hardware store. Mine has the painted exterior and stainless grill.

It works great and I haven't had one lick of trouble with it. I wish I would have bought one years earlier and save a lot of headache in dealing with the crappy (but not cheap) grills.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I believe I will go with the pellet grill. My son bought one a couple years ago and it works great, no flare ups, and food taste great. You can get all kinds of flavors of pellets. Orchelin has quite a selection of pellets bulk, you put what you want in 5 gal. bucket. I am tired of using charcoal and LP gas..

I had a pellet grill for a while, but it was disappointing. When it worked, it was fine, but it was temperamental to keep running correctly.

My Patio GFCI outlet seems to enjoy ruining logic boards. Wiped out the board in my electric smoker, as well. I have since started using an extension cord form inside the house, and I haven't had a problem since.

The grill area on the pellet stove is too small to be a serious fish smoker, for me anyway. I can make more fish per batch in a dedicated smoker.

When I left pellets in the hopper, they swelled with humidity and caused issues with the auger mechanism. PIA!

Pellet grills make a great tasting product, no doubt, but I just couldn't get past the other drawbacks to keep fussing with it.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Bought a Weber Silver B back in the late 90's for around $450 if I remember right. Still using it. Parts are still available. I've replaced the burners 2 or 3 times, The Flavor bars probably 4 or 5 times and the grate a few times. The body is made of aluminum and still in good solid shape. Still works like new. That's what is nice about Weber, they still make parts for the older grills to keep them running like new at a reasonable price. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new one. It also sits outside year round with a cover when not being used.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
If you like a portable gas grill, I'll put in a plug for a Weber, 'Q".[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Grillmonella with a couple of listeria dogs
Posted By: 805 Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
What’s a Gas Grill for??🤣🤣
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Gas Grills - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by 805

Real men use charcoal
Posted By: 805 Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by 805

Real men use charcoal

Real men use hard woods and coals.

Attached picture D0093806-D16D-40B7-8287-F0B801EC3DAB.jpeg
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Then there would be, Davy Crockett roasting a bird he shot with Old Betsy, over an open fire he built by rubbing two sticks together.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Who the heck wants to cook outdoors anyway?

Oh wait, I do!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Piece of yellowtail in the back and a coupla pieces of chicken thighs. Forgot to get a pic of the London broil and 2 sirloin steaks when they were cooking. I cooked enough protein for the two of us for a few days the other morning.

Gotta watch those dang Mexicans though. Shorted me a pound of charcoal by putting these two rocks in the bag of mesquite coals. Glove for scale.

I guess one doesn't have to worry about South of the Border scoundrels with a gas grill.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
I haul grills in better shape to Moster Joe’s

LOL
Posted By: hanco Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Real men use bbq pits!!

Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Never seen a gas grill that was worth a damn.
Originally Posted by hanco
Real men use bbq pits!!

Nice "pits" there Hanco!

But a pit is usually in the ground. shocked

wink
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Beat the piss out of my Weber here in NH. Year round literally. Not even a cover over it. Gets piled up with snow. Downright abusive and disrespectful. This one is still getting it done as well as a propane grill can (marginal, I agree. But very convenient) 7 years later. Flavor bars or burner covers or whatever they’re called replaced twice so far. Nothing else. I don’t have time for charcoal when I’m home.

Have had more than a few truly hair-raising grease fires go up in it. Holy schittt talk about a blast furnace. Said my prayers a couple times. Yeah, I’m sure she hit a right proper 1500 degree seating temp. lol. Hold the creosote char and fire department please.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Buy a charcoal grille ya lazy fugk
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Get a job, you POS. Back at ya.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

Get a job, you POS. Back at ya.

Get a woman

LMAO
You can grill for me, byyytch
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
I have a big stainless sams club 6 burner with the searing element on one side and a stove top type burner on the other. I've had it 3 years now and it's holding up well, everything still works well. I took my 3500 psi power washer too it tge other day and cleaned in all out. I put it back together and it fired right up.

Bb
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have a big stainless sams club 6 burner with the searing element on one side and a stove top type burner on the other. I've had it 3 years now and it's holding up well, everything still works well. I took my 3500 psi power washer too it tge other day and cleaned in all out. I put it back together and it fired right up.

Bb

And this one is even better. Or at least I hope so. It is really well engineered/designed
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
People keep their grills too clean.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
I like homemade charcoal grills.

Oilfield casing works great.

.250”+ wall lasts a long time.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I use to burn one out every year. 3 years ago bought a Weber Genesis. Nothing is burned through in it. Have a leg of lamb in it on the rotisserie right now.

I have a Weber that is now 6 years old.

If you have cast grates & standard steel flavor bars, those will last right about 3 years of steady use, but Weber will replace them under warranty 'til the 3 year mark.

At around 5 years, you will need to replace burners & the burner connector; those have a 5 year warranty.........................if you registered the grill when you bought it.

Within the coverage of the warranty, Weber is great about replacing parts, no questions asked.

MM
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I like homemade charcoal grills.

Oilfield casing works great.

.250”+ wall lasts a long time.

I helped a bud fabricate and weld a 20ft stainless steeple structure for his church.

He built this grill out of left over 1/8” stainless sheet and steel frame.

Been in service for 15+ yrs

#builtnotbought
Side note.

Rip. Crossfire.

He’d go on a tangent about stainless expanded metal for grill grates.

I’ve cooked a metric chit ton o’ meat on em.

Still going.

#countrystrong
Speaking of peaches

Had a limb break. I am probably going to lose a few

“Hugs”
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Reference my pics.

I don't think you're talkin' bout me. cool
Uncle Geno,

You are from Cali............
Posted By: 805 Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Side note.

Rip. Crossfire.

He’d go on a tangent about stainless expanded metal for grill grates.

I’ve cooked a metric chit ton o’ meat on em.

Still going.

#countrystrong

Stainless expanded metal works awesome for grill grates. Easy to clean also.
Uncle Geno,

You are from Cali............

I've seen folks clean theirs.......................because GERMS you know.

I don't think they get the part about the heat being put out by a pile of coals.
I’ll put you down for the “low and slow” cookin crowd
That little AMERICAN MADE portable grill has two slots for grill height. I can plop that thing down right on top of a good bed of coals almost and get a good and proper sear, then lift it and close the cover and adjust the vents to do the "low and slow" thingie.

I've done small turkey's in it. Coupla hunks of fruit wood/ hardwood for flavor.

Then again, good hot coals and some nice thin carne asada or fish fillets and there's no need for low and slow. Cook them babies up and lets get to eatin'.

When I grow up I'm going to get me a manly one....................or maybe build one like kaywoodie's
#usa
Wake up you slugs

Let’s grill sompthin for breffist
It's a lot quicker to grill a meal on gas, than charcoal.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
I cooked with gas grills for about 25 years and went back to charcoal.

I bought a Portable Kitchen (PK Grill) about 5 years ago and would never go back to gas. It's not very big but cooks as good as anything I used (outside of a BGE) and gets really hot in about 30 minutes or less. Cast aluminum top and bottom, aluminum legs and stand, not much to go wrong with it. Grates are cheap to replace and I can even reuse my charcoal at least once.This is the same grill that was sold back in the 50's and 60's.

Seal the coals in a can.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Got have that seasoning in there, I only run an onion over the grill in my pit once it heats up.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Thanks, Canada !

Ehhhhhhhh
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
It seems I buy a new one every 3 years no matter how well I take care of it. My brother bought a Weber gas’s grill a few years ago, burners and heat grates and cooking grates all heavy SS. The unit itself top and bottom is 1/4” or so thick cast Aluminum. Those go for around 1500.00 and was more than I wanted to spend. Last week at Sam’s they had a “Sams “ brand and it was their Pro series. It’s a new grill for this year and it mimics my brothers Weber to a Tee if not better. 5 burner and less than half the cost of the Webber. Anyway one showed up this week at the house for my birthday, will get put together on Sunday and I’ll let you all know how it goes.

Assemble the stand part and most all of it , if you can , on a table with a little battery drill( I like the little impact drills best). Much easier than doing it on the ground~
Posted By: joken2 Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21

To my taste there's little if any difference in the final product when cooking on a gas or electric grill than cooking the same by baking/broiling in a ordinary range oven. The one exception is when wood chips are added for smoke flavor.

As always, though, YMMV...
Posted By: mathman Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
MMDV
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Thanks, Canada !

Ehhhhhhhh

Posted By: 45_100 Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
We have a gas grill made by Barbeques Galore. Wife paid a lot of money for it several years ago. Has a rotisary which works great for cooking a turkey. She puts a disposable aluminum pan under the turkey to catch the drippings and uses that for the gravy.
For grilling, it never has worked that great. The heat is not even across the cooking surface with hot spots and not so hot spots. It always struggled to get to 450 degrees. Not really hot enough to sear meat. Put an adjustable regulator on it and that made a lot of difference. Now it will reach whatever temperature you want by adjusting the regulator. The heat is still not even across the cooking surface and I am sure it will shorten the life of the burners but everything in life is a compromise.
Wabis new name is “Grill a meal”

LMAO
Posted By: las Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

This. Easier to clean. (Clean???), and doesn't attract bears. we do have a 4 burner Sears propane grill. - I don't like it... way bigger than we need, and as said- harder to keep clean enough to keep the bears off the deck..
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by troublesome82

Assemble the stand part and most all of it , if you can , on a table with a little battery drill( I like the little impact drills best). Much easier than doing it on the ground~

That’s was pretty much what I was thinking on doing. Great minds think alike I guess
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
Got an old Weber Genesis that's 12-13 yrs old and it's been used a lot. It has very solid construction, heavier than the current Weber grills and I've gotten good service from it. At the moment I need to replace the grates and burners as they are really worn out. I think I bought this new for $550 so amortizing that for the years I've had it it cost me less than $50 per year. I suppose it better than buying a cheap grill every 1-2 years and paying much more over time. I still use a charcoal smoker and grill for when I got more time and want a different taste. It's all good.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
My wife bought a Weber Spirit from Home Depot. Girls at work said they are Uber. Made in China fell apart in 3 years.
I do have a mini Weber table top. Model 1000 I think. Very well made, but grease just goes into a drip pan. No baffles to add smoke flavor. Run on pound tanks or large tank. Good for a quick portable cook fishing.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21

My Weber is at 350* right now.............

Costco beer battered Cod & fries............

Ain't got no Halibut............
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Gas Grills - 07/16/21
My 14 year old Weber grill was picked up by the town Bulk pickup yesterday. It's replacement is about 800 bucks(Genesis) , not one issue other then replacing flavor bars and grates. The one time I needed customer service they were amazing. I get my new Weber tomorrow cannot wait.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Gas Grills - 07/17/21
We bought a Char Griller duo about 12 years ago.
Love the concept.
A big full sized gas grill, with the same in charcoal beside it.
Wanna quicker? The gas is ready in 2 or 3 minutes.

Wanna go tantrum? Ser the chimney on the side burner and get.
That canonized wood hot!

Seriously, it's great to have the choice. Or, for a big picnic, the capacity.
Either side can handle 16 burgers, so we get the coals going, and can turn
out a pile of burgers and dogs in short order.

But it's sheet steel. The gas side was junk a couple years ago.
Body parts alone cost more than a new freestanding grill.
So I bought their freestanding grill.
And put it in the chassis.
Put new brackets, flavorizer bars, and burner tubes (they turned out to not be bad) in this spring. $80 to our door. In 2 or 3 year the whole thing is junk.

Not sure what's next, but I'm liking that Weber stocks parts for old stuff
Been looking. Might pick up a used older Weber. Sometimes they are given away.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Gas Grills - 07/19/21
So got it all together today and did a few rib eyes for dinner. I’ll post my my overall opinions and observations after another few day. Lots of pluses and a few minuses.
© 24hourcampfire