Home
Posted By: las On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Entertaining! One doofus just behind the 1st class bulkhead spent a good 3 minutes trying to cram his wife’s overstuffed “carryon” into the overhead. Multiple tries, all four sides. Didn’t work any side any try. Go figure.....

One old lady - mental, not chronology- probably in 50s- stopped at every row and checked the row number then her ticket then the row number again. Every row. I’m in 19 and she’s somewhere behind me.

And she’s the flight attendant.

Ok, I’m making that last up. smile

Out.
Posted By: test1328 Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Ain't that the truth! I also enjoy the entertainment. Every flight I've ever been on is this way. People amaze me at what idiots they are. Maybe I'm the idiot for constantly being amazed!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
If you have a blow up doll for a pilot you're in trouble.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Ever seen a grown man naked?
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Airline deregulation has turned flying from a pleasant experience into Greyhound in the Skies. I had to dress up in my Sunday school clothes when I was a kid and there wasn't any of the drama (aside from the occasional hijackings) that's on damn near every flight these days from the mentally insane to the stupid drunks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Haven't flown for work in over a year, but there are times I'd do 4-6 flights a week for 6+ months at a time.

I think there is just a general lack of self awareness in the average person. Look, we just landed and taxied to the gate. The time to pick up your belongings and ready yourself to grab your oversized stuffed in carry on bag is not when everybody in front of you has already deplaned. The time to put all your stuff away and have your bag in hand is on the taxi in. It really is not hard to anticipate what is going to happen in the next few minutes.
Posted By: benchman Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
I'm still stuck on a lady in her 50's described as "old"...
Posted By: RiverRider Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
I've always thought the craziest mass display of dumbfuquery was when the plane stops moving, seat belts are undone, and everyone crowds into the aisle like a bunch of cattle. Then they wait a couple of minutes for the doors to be opened. I just remain in my seat and wait til the thundering herd of morons deplanes, smiling to myself.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Had a job back in the early 2000's, and I was on a plane 3 weeks out of the month and multiple times each week. It was steadily getting worse back then, and I can only imagine what it's like now. I can honestly say that I cant think of a single reason I would want to get on a plane the way things are now. If I cant drive there, I have no desire to go there.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
You haven't seen adventure until you have flown on short flights between European cities. While American flyers can sure exhibit stupidity, you get total rudeness and incompetence with Russians, Italians, and Germans.

Most Boomers tend to think that seat backs are assist handles for being fat and lazy- YOU ARE JERKING ON MY SEAT, DUMBFUK!

The Germans think it is a race to enter the jetway and will form a human wedge at the gate- your elbows had better be sharp! One guy was in such a hurry, he tried to jump the gap between me and my roller bag so he could reach the other lane. He ended up on the floor wondering what had happened.

Italians smell to high heaven, probably from wearing their puffy coats in summer weather. They do NOT know to how discipline a screaming toddler. And if you ever get delayed onto another flight in Italy, you'd better speak Italian or you are Fudged. "Dee plane-a its-a full-a".

Russians love to be loaded with vodka before embarking, this way they can continue to drink throughout the flight and piss you off with their pig English and horrible breath. Then, if you try to politely get some privacy, they get aggressive. Fugking [bleep]. The worst was a woman who insisted on being in the lav during landing. The door swung open on impact (landing) and there she sat on the toilet for everyone to see. Primitive.

Once, on a flight from Seattle to Frankfurt, a German fella decided he was going to "save" the seat next to him because he had work to do. The seat he had saved for himself was assigned to my wife. He got straightened out quickly on seat assignments. Who thinks this way?

The worst, regardless of nationality is the kid who insists on kicking your seat from behind. Eventually, a loud request to the F/A asking to be re-seated will be needed before the stupid permissive parents catch a clue.

The best behaved folks I noted were the Israelis (and that on a Lufthansa flight).

I do get a kick out of the fools who think if they stand first at the gate, they get to leave first.
Posted By: ironbender Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
For some of those people, it’s the first time out of their double wide in a year and a half.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Not enough money in the world.
Posted By: poboy Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
I flew once in '71. It was fun. The stewardess brought 2beers at a time and I was a minor.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
For some of those people, it’s the first time out of their double wide in a year and a half.

I’m sure there is a direct correlation between Covid stimulus $ and the huge uptick in unruly retards flying.

Woooo Child.......We goin’ ta Didney Land!!!!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Speaking of obnoxious drunks on flights, a number of years ago when we lived in Los Angeles, my wife and I had gone to New York, business and pleasure. Our return flight was set to leave N.Y. about 7:00 PM. The flight was delayed. We sat in the lounge and had a soft drink. The flight was again delayed. We waited. More delay. In the bar there was an actor named "William Bogart." He was pounding down drinks. I did not know him but knew who he was. Worked all the time in Hollywood. More delay. it's getting tiresome.

Finally our flight was called so we boarded the plane. We were seated in Business Class. Down the aisle staggers Bogart. He's ranting and raving about the long delay. A Stewardess is trying to quiet him down. No luck. Screaming and cussing, making a fool of himself. He's in a seat at the rear of the Business Class section.

Then, the Captain announces they are delayed again, some mechanical reason or whatever. We sit there and sit there. Bogart becomes more and more obstreperous. Making drunken threats. Stewardesses can't calm him down.

We must have sat there for 30 0r 40 minutes. Suddenly the outside door opens and three men enter, They are wearing street clothes. Very serious looking. As they pass by our seats walking to the rear, two of the men are holding revolvers down beside their legs. Hmmmm. Air Marshals?? NYPD?? That was concerning to say the least.

There was some loud screaming and cussing emanating from the rear and then in a minute, here came the three officers leading the sloshed Bogart, who had his hands behind his back, wearing shiny steel bracelets. After they removed him from the plane, the Captain rolled out onto the runway and away we went. My wife and I were very happy to see the immense bright show of the lights of Los Angeles when we later flew into LAX.

We were glad to get home. I haven't the faintest idea what happened to Bogart but would bet he paid a hefty fine for his idiocy. Here is Bogart's IMDB site. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0091722/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Stay out of the bar/lounge, folks. It can get dicey. grin

L.W.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
People wouldn't bring so much carry on luggage if the airlines would have competent baggage service. Who wants to stand around for 45 minutes in some dirty airport after an hour flight?
Posted By: Dess Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Seems different people and cultures have no sense of personal space. I love social distancing.

I will shake your hand, but don't expect a hug.
Posted By: horse1 Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
People wouldn't bring so much carry on luggage if the airlines would have competent baggage service. Who wants to stand around for 45 minutes in some dirty airport after an hour flight?

Watch the handlers load planes. Anything that even remotely appears to be hobby/fun type equipment gets bashed on purpose. Skis and golf-clubs being the easiest to ID from a distance through a window.
Posted By: lightman Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by horse1

Watch the handlers load planes. Anything that even remotely appears to be hobby/fun type equipment gets bashed on purpose. Skis and golf-clubs being the easiest to ID from a distance through a window.

Rifle cases rate pretty high too!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
From about 1969 until 1993, I flew about 3 months out of every year, every Sunday or Monday and every Friday between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas , Denver and Las Vegas, or Albuquerque and Las with the rest of the year an occasional flights to DC,San Francisco,Seattle, London or Paris. I retired in 2003, and except for two to Pittsburgh and one to Ft. Lauderdale and returns I have not been on a plane since.If I can't drive,I don't go
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21

2002 when you could still pack and check stuff in card board boxes, my partner and I went on a mission trip to El Salvador. We took sufficient components to set up 10 desk top computers in a lab at the seminary. Every thing wired up and confirmed before being packed in OEM boxes with extra padding added.

Long story short, once we got sorted out in El Salvador, we had enough workable parts for three complete systems. 70% attrition rate due to luggage handlers.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by saddlesore
From about 1969 until 1993, I flew about 3 months out of every year, every Sunday or Monday and every Friday between Colorado Springs and Las Vegas , Denver and Las Vegas, or Albuquerque and Las with the rest of the year an occasional flights to DC,San Francisco,Seattle, London or Paris. I retired in 2003, and except for two to Pittsburgh and one to Ft. Lauderdale and returns I have not been on a plane since.If I can't drive,I don't go

My goodness!! I’m sure we were on the same flights several times! I also lived in Colorado Springs, retired in 2005.

My travels started in 1972, similar hectic schedules and destinations. Did you ever run into a Dr. Morgenthayer (phonetic spelling) on your trips? Not me but the most prolific traveler ever ... puts us to shame. He was research director for Martin Marietta. Knew half the people on each flight
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
No prayer meetings @ 30,000ft. ?

Guess not.

HC would have surely weighed in by now.
Posted By: rong Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by lightman

One of the boys went to visit his brother in Miami a few months ago and wanted to fish while there,so I gave him my fly rod tube so he could bring 1 of his rods.
From Roch,NY to Miami the end cap was broken.1 load/unload.They had to bounce it on the end to break it.
Originally Posted by Dumdum

My goodness!! I’m sure we were on the same flights several times! I also lived in Colorado Springs, retired in 2005.

My travels started in 1972, similar hectic schedules and destinations. Did you ever run into a Dr. Morgenthayer (phonetic spelling) on your trips? Not me but the most prolific traveler ever ... puts us to shame. He was research director for Martin Marietta. Knew half the people on each flight

If Martin Marietta had experiments on Underground Nuclear test . I probably ran into him.Usual flights were Sunday afternoon and Friday morning return.While in Albuquerque we flew charted with Ross Aviation. Early on it was a F27 Fairchild. Sometimes all the way to Desert Rock airstrip at Mercury Nevada.Then Southwest Air lines was charted for a few years.
I worked for Kaman Sciences, bought out by ITT in 1999.
A lot of Times when flights were not available from COS to LV,we flew little turbo props to Denver and left from there. Those summer monsoons sure bounced us around.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Wife is flying to Vegas today.

Her recent travels have convinced her sho isn't nearly as interested in a vacation as she once was. The hordes of people and the incompetence of the airlines combined with everything else has made it miserable. I drive just about everywhere I go with few exceptions any more.

I have always disliked being on someone else's schedule. Now with the lack of self-awareness amongst people and crappy behavior, I can do without.
Posted By: ironbender Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Thought to get down to America these days without getting on an Al tube.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
I'm always amazed how the herd needs to stand up the instant the wheels stop turning. And how they have to have the BIGGEST carryon, which they are too weak to handle safely. Oh, and turn on the PHONE! JFC.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21

If Martin Marietta had experiments on Underground Nuclear test . I probably ran into him.Usual flights were Sunday afternoon and Friday morning return.While in Albuquerque we flew charted with Ross Aviation. Early on it was a F27 Fairchild. Sometimes all the way to Desert Rock airstrip at Mercury Nevada.Then Southwest Air lines was charted for a few years.
I worked for Kaman Sciences, bought out by ITT in 1999.
A lot of Times when flights were not available from COS to LV,we flew little turbo props to Denver and left from there. Those summer monsoons sure bounced us around.

Ah! I knew a couple people there! Al Bridges, Don Stribling (later at Science Applications), Don Bryce, Randy Wolff, a couple others that went to Mitre Corp. Kaman also made a good neutron generator didn’t they? Oh yeah, just remembered a couple more ... Dean Jewell and Herb Hollister who was involved with the Nevada testing you referred too.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
51 and never flew.

Read this, hear the goings on on the news, hear of friends experiences,
And really never want to fly.
Don't like people, hate crowds, hate being crowded, don't like being cramped.
A tour bus gets my knee to hurting in an hour or two. Same with stadium seating.

Guys at work love to fly. Good for them.
My wife does too, hope to never let her convince me to try it.
Posted By: test1328 Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm always amazed how the herd needs to stand up the instant the wheels stop turning. And how they have to have the BIGGEST carryon, which they are too weak to handle safely. Oh, and turn on the PHONE! JFC.

If I'm sitting by the aisle, I'll stand up when we stop just so the numbnuts that stand in the aisle don't keep beating me with all the crap they've got in their hands. Otherwise, I stay put.

Your carry on comment is spot on. It's always the tiniest, oldest women that seem to have the heaviest bags. There is no way for them to lift it, so they look around and look helpless (which they are) until someone volunteers to help them. Even worse, is if they are traveling with their elderly husband and he insists on trying to lift the thing into the overhead. I'm always amazed that more of them don't end up crushed underneath the behemoth bags they carry.
Posted By: deflave Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
I wouldn't voluntarily fly anywhere today.

The whole industry has been a goat fugk for years and COVIDIOTS managed to make it worse.

Ah! I knew a couple people there! Al Bridges, Don Stribling (later at Science Applications), Don Bryce, Randy Wolff, a couple others that went to Mitre Corp. Kaman also made a good neutron generator didn’t they? Oh yeah, just remembered a couple more ... Dean Jewell and Herb Hollister who was involved with the Nevada testing you referred too.

I worked directly for Herb Hollister when I hired on. Later days, Don Bryce.Things went to pot when ITT took over
Posted By: slumlord Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/20/21
Just think

One notch above Andre’3000 and Big-Boi the baggage handlers

the ground crew and maintenance personnel, 😃
Posted By: las Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by benchman
I'm still stuck on a lady in her 50's described as "old"...

I'm 72 - and I said- mentally. She was gone.... smile
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/21/21
Haven't been on a plane in 20 years and have no intention of ever doing it again.

Alaska Aiirines has a 20 minute guarantee. Mostly they make it.

I own stock....:)

Hey now- I worked ramp for 4 years.... 2010-2014, Kotzebue AK. I took good care of rifle cases.

The rest were throw toys in the hold.... a matter of expediency.

Plan accordingly. smile

TSA took my hand-balm this trip out of my check-on.. Devils club and hemp oil. 'Spossed to help for a couple fingers with arthritis/tendinitus- only had it for 2 days, so who knows? $40 for a tin about a half-size of a snuff container. Bastids!
Posted By: Whiptail Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/21/21

On a flight out of India the woman next to me didn't know to use the seatbelt. Then she used the restroom and couldn't figure out how to open the door to get out. I was thinking she must of spent her whole life living in a shack.
Posted By: ironbender Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/21/21
Originally Posted by las

Hey now- I worked ramp for 4 years.... 2010-2014, Kotzebue AK. I took good care of rifle cases.

The rest were throw toys in the hold.... a matter of expediency.

Plan accordingly. smile

TSA took my hand-balm this trip out of my check-on.. Devils club and hemp oil. 'Spossed to help for a couple fingers with arthritis/tendinitus- only had it for 2 days, so who knows? $40 for a tin about a half-size of a snuff container. Bastids!

We’re them bastards arthritic? They ‘splain why?
Posted By: ironbender Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by las

Alaska Aiirines has a 20 minute guarantee. Mostly they make it.

I own stock....:)

I start the timer on my phone and go collect our coupons.
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Haven't been on a plane in 20 years and have no intention of ever doing it again.

^^^This^^^

It’s been 11 years for me. Never again. If I can’t drive there, I’m not going.
Posted By: 1minute Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/22/21
Landed once and near 2/3rds of the passengers were up and charging the front door when the seatbelt sign went off. We simply stayed seated and they announced we would deplane via the rear exit. Cookie and I were the first off.

Short of a book, I do not do carry on, and I travel with a bag I can lug around in one hand.

If carry on was outlawed, they could deplane and load for another flight in half the time.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/22/21
I think most people have the pigeon mind. They copy all the other birds on the wire. One lands, they all land, one flies they all fly. But carryons could go a lot better if those unloading last stood up last. Sit the eff down until two rows in front are in the aisle and moving, for eff sake.
Boarding has to be arranged because the stampede into the plane would be ten times worse with all the illiterates who can't suss a seat number and letter.
I only fly as a last resort, and I'm learning it is just about cheaper to send your baggage by UPS Ground. Travel REALLY light.
Posted By: ironbender Re: On the plane - Denver - 07/22/21
Planes should load from window to aisle.
© 24hourcampfire