Home
Posted By: johnw The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Looking at the "Hunter's Campfire" forum I gotta think that at least a few of the regular posters here are somehow gripped with fear, and locked onto one or more news feeds waiting for the "other shoe to drop"...

Wonder if they ever take a walk along the river, or pick up their binoculars and watch some local birds. Do they have a lawn chair where they can sit and watch the night sky? Ever grab a zebco and pull some bluegills from a pond?

I don't like a lot of things that are going on in the world of today. I pray. I vote. I donate some money to various political causes and court actions.

But I don't obsess over what is wrong til it's the only thing that anyone knows me for
Or so I hope...
Posted By: smokepole Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Zebco?? Now you've gone and done it!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
As the years pass there are things forgotten no doubt. What is fear?
Posted By: johnw Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Laughin...

Ya know... I once bagged on Rockinbbar for being a "debbie downer" of sorts. I was wrong. Dude is a ray of sunshine compared to some of the posters obsessed with whats wrong
But I think the difference with him is that he does stuff. Always got a new airgun or some kind of outdoor activity going on. Hog killing or stampedes. whatever...

dr johnw prescribes walking out the door daily for an hour or so of doing something...
Preferably before you post on the 'fire...
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Sound advice !!

That, or get another dog !
Posted By: hookeye Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Maybe its not fear but anticipation.
Some folks want to see a change ( better or worse ).
For sure some folks dwell on the negative.
Some have had enough and are ready to do whatever needs done.
And of course, some are just old women wanting attention/ gossip.

Posted By: Slavek Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by smokepole

American-made Zebco 33 is a classic. Our version were Mitchell spinning reels made in France.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

My old 33 died many moons ago after hossing in a chitload of carp.

Bottomg fishing, had to go in after it a couple times

Lasted years
[Linked Image from pics.onsizzle.com]
Posted By: worriedman Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
I ain't afeared, I am staying sharp on some things that may be of use down the road and trying to locate more primers, canning lids, other useful things.

To much to do to be afraid, got to get ready, hand wringing does nothing to get you through...
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Bluegills Roger???
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by johnw
Looking at the "Hunter's Campfire" forum I gotta think that at least a few of the regular posters here are somehow gripped with fear, and locked onto one or more news feeds waiting for the "other shoe to drop"...

Wonder if they ever take a walk along the river, or pick up their binoculars and watch some local birds. Do they have a lawn chair where they can sit and watch the night sky? Ever grab a zebco and pull some bluegills from a pond?

I don't like a lot of things that are going on in the world of today. I pray. I vote. I donate some money to various political causes and court actions.

But I don't obsess over what is wrong til it's the only thing that anyone knows me for
Or so I hope...

AMEN! Love walks, especially to parks with my 22 month old granddaughter, usually tote along some 8x32 binos, and I love going to local ponds and catching blue gills and small stocker trout. My wife is ADDICTED to Fox news and she starts most conversations with "did you see/hear what the left....", I just get sick and tired of it all. Not much I can do about anything except as you say pray, vote, donate as able.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Bluegills Roger???

You know I haven't fished in fresh water in over twenty years, except when I fished lake Ontario with Dan and Leighton.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Or so I hope...

202 or 33?
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Or so I hope...

202 or 33?

Bet millions have been caught on a 202 and garden hackle.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Bluegills Roger???

You know I haven't fished in fresh water in over twenty years, except when I fished lake Ontario with Dan and Leighton.

Coulda figured it

Awesome pic....
Posted By: Otter Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Or so I hope...

Nope, not living in fear for myself. . . concerned, disturbed and disgruntled by the way some things are headed, yes. I figure I have, maybe, another decade or so on Earth, so don't get to wound up with something I can't (as an individual) do much about short of praying. Our kids and grand kids will bear the brunt of today's goings on. I do fear for them. frown
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
John makes some good life observations in the OP. The kind of fear he mentions though, is the kind of fear that is mainly constructed in the mind of the beholder, triggered by the news, family drama, job loss, maybe health issues. Once a man has experienced real fear on a primal level, then he can easily dismiss the fear construct generated by trigger events. A man that has experienced combat, or burning sticks the size of fingers raining from the sky to the noise of ten locomotives on a fireline, flakes of rust popping off the working of the hull of a too old boat in 25 foot seas and 50 knot winds, visible layers of ice building on the wings as the plane sinks lower...that's real fear, hence the saying of some old GI: "don't sweat the small schidt".
Wouldn't nick my last feeler if someone who knew how renamed this thread "The Zebco Thread"...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Grump, sells here, I've started good news threads that go straight down.
Originally Posted by Slavek

American-made Zebco 33 is a classic. Our version were Mitchell spinning reels made in France.

1968 called. They want their reels back.
Posted By: antlers Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
“Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Posted By: smokepole The Zebco thread - 07/23/21
Wouldn't nick my last feeler if someone who knew how renamed this thread "The Zebco Thread"...

What? That's outrageous, may as well use a cane pole and a cork!!
Posted By: johnw Re:The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
I acquired a number of Zebco 202s back in the day, that caught a lot of fish...
Posted By: johnw Re:The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
And I have a pair of 33s for the grandkids that do pretty well. They're not the zebco 33 of my younger days...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Not a Zebco, but I'll plug this in.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Done!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Made this a little while ago for my little granddaughter. She was tickled!

I am happy!!!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Made this a little while ago for my little granddaughter. She was tickled!

I am happy!!!

Looks like you're outta your gourd happy!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Ncii9an.jpg?1[/img]
Posted By: Nollij Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
1954, the original 33 sold for $19.50. The timeline below is cool. The "33" was part of growing up and learning how to fish.

Zebco timeline
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Don't own a zebco, but can, occasionally catch a fish or 2 !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Crappie and sunfish caught 2 days ago with Zebco.

Catfish on a Revo.

Crappie and sunfish caught 2 days ago with Zebco.

Catfish on a Revo.

Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Nothing has changed for me and nothing will. Other than me being stuck in a chair for the past few days because of a seriously hurtful pulled muscle on my rib cage, which is driving me nuts as I have trees to cut and lawn to mow.

I'd happily confront liberals when I meet them but they are rare as honest politicians where I live. Too hot to fish, but generally I fish a lot in spring and fall, along with hunt. I watch birds daily, along with dogs chasing squirrels. Saw a bobcat the other day and a bald eagle slayed a rabbit in the back yard.

I haven't watched broadcast tv or news in the past 5 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The government is going to do what the government is going to do, just like the city dwelling idiots. I'm going to do what I'm going to do, regardless of what anyone says. I decided long ago, to enjoy life regardless of other peoples opinions or laws.

If trouble comes looking I'll accommodate it and go out on my feet.

Live, love and be happy
My Babe loves me. Shes a real deer.

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I remember that spot!
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Or so I hope...

Clever way of titling your thread. Yes getting some time to just watch nature and relax. It can teach us many important things about life too. God is made manifest through His creation!
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
What on earth could there be to fear?? Seems like there is so much to do, and see, and think - that kind of stuff is wearing me out most days.

Zebco. Just got back from a BIG family celebration week on some lakes up in MN - boated and fished quite a bit. Took one Zeb along for that adventure, and have a bunch of them. Are they worth anything on the market?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Used to watch the news every morning for 45minutes.
For at least 6 mos now I get up, make my breakfast and go out on the porch and eat. Quiet, peaceful…. No fear here.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Trivia: What does the abbreviation ZEBCO stand for?
Posted By: Ray_Herbert Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Used to watch the news every morning for 45minutes.
For at least 6 mos now I get up, make my breakfast and go out on the porch and eat. Quiet, peaceful…. No fear here.

There is nothing I enjoy more than my morning coffee on the porch.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Zero Hour Bomb Company
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Bomb Company is what I remember, I don't recall the first few letters.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Neighbors?
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon

80# braid? How big are bluegill in Iowa?
Wabigoon Lake, NW Ontario.

Don't worry I did not snag the jackfish, it went back in the lake. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Or so I hope...

202 or 33?

Coming up, you started with a 202. You gained some pond cred with a 404 and you'd hit the big time with a 33.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
My first 202 came from the Western Auto store my cousin ran in Pleasanton Tx.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Mine came from Gibson’s Discount Center.

In 1968. I was eight years old.

Fished with a Cane Pole for Crappie with my GrandDad before that.
Posted By: chris_c Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Still got a 33 thats working, grandkids use it
Originally Posted by chris_c
Still got a 33 thats working, grandkids use it

I’ve still got t smaller version that looks like a “Mini” 33

Can’t remember the model #. Taught all my nephews and nieces to fish with it.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Or so I hope...

A guy does what he has to.

First, I don't watch the news. All news is BS and propaganda in my opinion. I know for a fact that if anything important happens, I'll hear it. No doubt.

I keep to myself and take care of things at home. Vote and be active in local elections. They may be the only layer of defense you have from the insanity.

Support and donate directly to candidates you feel will do a good job.

Enjoy your life and freedoms you still have, whether it's hunting, fishing, shooting, or whatever.

Support those who support you. Don't support those who don't whenever possible. Vote with your wallet.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
My father thought the Zebco 33 was the greatest device known to man. My brother and I, with our open face Mitchells knew we had the world's best fishing reels. When Dad would go on about how great the Zebco 33 was we'd just look at each other and roll our eyes (when he wasn't looking) but we kept our mouths shut.
Posted By: GeoW Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Mine came from Gibson’s Discount Center.

In 1968. I was eight years old.

Fished with a Cane Pole for Crappie with my GrandDad before that.

I think my 202 came from Gibson's too. I eventually got another, so I had two old fiberglass rods with a 202 on them.

Then my grandad bought me a brand new Johnson Century reel and a decent rod with real cork handles... I was uptown! grin
Posted By: GeoW Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Slavek

Was crazy about the Swedish made Zebcos!
Posted By: mathman Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Nollij
1954, the original 33 sold for $19.50. The timeline below is cool. The "33" was part of growing up and learning how to fish.

Zebco timeline

That's almost $200 today.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Zero Hour Bomb Company. WWII maker of things that go boom. After the war was concluded the company found themself with a buttload of stored metal previously destined for bombs. They asked themselves "well, whadda we gonna do with all this metal?" After scratching their heads they thought "Well.....lets make fishing reels!"
Posted By: Greatlaker Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Zebco cardinal spinning reels, favorites, still using
Posted By: rem141r Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
i agree. there are folks on here that post nothing but doom and gloom and easily discounted or twisted stories. i don't understand why they do that other than they have alienated themselves from everyone in real life due to their miserable f-ucken attitudes. in all seriousness, i can see why some folks leave this forum.
Posted By: saddlering Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Yup started with a cane pole, than a 202, 404, 33 but really loved the Johnson century! Last year I found a nice glass rod with cork handle, and bought a old Johnson, off eBay, my wife has taken it over, says it's hers now!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Or so I hope...

I believe you are referring to the 3-4 resident Chicken Little news link hit and run posters.

Slap up a link about the latest pending doom.

tHe iDicTmEnTS aRE aBOUt to HaPPen !!

siDnEY PoWEll
JadE hELm
UnLEasH tHE krAKen
LiN w00D

JFC, and never post any hunting pictures, never talk about hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, camping, knives, ....nothing

They won’t hit this thread.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

Or so I hope...

I believe you are referring to the 3-4 resident Chicken Little news link hit and run posters.

Slap up a link about the latest pending doom.

tHe iDicTmEnTS aRE aBOUt to HaPPen !!

siDnEY PoWEll
JadE hELm
UnLEasH tHE krAKen
LiN w00D

JFC, and never post any hunting pictures, never talk about hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, camping, knives, ....nothing

They won’t hit this thread.

You left out the sodomites, JFC….. the homo’s have feelings too.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Or so I hope...

Easy for you to say. Your boat hasn't broken down yet.😉😀
Posted By: ihookem Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Speaking of old fishing reels , I was at m moms house and she said " throw those old things away. " No mom, it's dads old Mitchell 300. It hardly works but I am not throwing it way. Likely made in the United States too.
Posted By: antlers Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
My grandparents lived at a place called Hide-A-Way Lake outside of Lindale, Texas. They built a house right on the middle lake in about 1973-74. We used Zebco 202’s exclusively, and we got em’ at a big Gibson’s that was on the way to Tyler, Texas. That was a great store.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by mathman

Zebco timeline

I thought remembered mowing enough lawns in 4th grade to buy mine for $8 about '50. I guess it was before the 33.

The Savage break over 30-30 was $37 iirc.

I remember that spot!

When do you want to go again?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Catfish gear

If I could just keep the knuckleheads from trying to retrieve every cast, and eating my catfish pellets. 🤦‍♂️😃

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Or so I hope...

A guy does what he has to.

First, I don't watch the news. All news is BS and propaganda in my opinion. I know for a fact that if anything important happens, I'll hear it. No doubt.

I keep to myself and take care of things at home. Vote and be active in local elections. They may be the only layer of defense you have from the insanity.

Support and donate directly to candidates you feel will do a good job.

Enjoy your life and freedoms you still have, whether it's hunting, fishing, shooting, or whatever.

Support those who support you. Don't support those who don't whenever possible. Vote with your wallet.

That is another thing i dont trust about the vax. MSM wants us to get it. When were they last right about anything but the weather, Barry.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21
Use a zebco omega for channel cat.

Zebco timeline

I thought remembered mowing enough lawns in 4th grade to buy mine for $8 about '50. I guess it was before the 33.

I don’t remember paying that much for a Zebco 33 in about 1971, Doc. Seems like they were only about $15 dollars or less in 1971, IIRC. I mowed lawns to pay for mine too. That price of $19.59 in 1954 sounds WAY off base to me.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Living In Fear? - 07/23/21

Zebco timeline

I don’t remember paying that much for a Zebco 33 in about 1971, Doc. Seems like they were only about $15 dollars or less in 1971, IIRC. I mowed lawns to pay for mine too. That price of $19.59 in 1954 sounds WAY off base to me.

I thought it seemed a bit steep myself. Maybe that was the MSRP or something along those lines back then.
Posted By: krp Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Had to go look in the garage, I knew I had some old zebcos, this is just two... I caught a bunch of fish on the 202s growing up and then the 33 when I was older. Still have some of the old poles and reels around.

Kent
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
I was in the walmart bout 30 years ago, was a Mennonite in there slapping a Zebro reel in Lay-A-Way.

It was $7. I remember it precisely. Why would anyone put $7 purchase on the lay back plan.
Guess he didnt want to spoil himself all at once.
Posted By: mathman Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
A Zebco for Zeb.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Not to take away from the topic

But my Century brand, Country Mile reels used to my better reels for panfish.
Posted By: kingston Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Guess he didnt want to spoil himself all at once.

Sounds like BobBrown on Pornhub.
Posted By: Nollij Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
A Zebco for Zeb.

At the very least a Zebco for Jeb.
Posted By: ribka Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Don't own a zebco, but can, occasionally catch a fish or 2 !

phugger.
Posted By: ribka Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
life's a bish

I had a green Johnson brand spincast reel when I was a kid that was pretty good too. Can’t remember the model name.
Posted By: rem141r Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
i got a bunch of stuff from a widow and one of the boxes had a 33 in it. it looks to be in useable shape. it still turns although its a little stiff. no line on it that i can see but i haven't even taken it apart yet. this thread reminds me i need to do that and get a little rod for it. i used one like it exclusively when i was a kid until dad bought me a mitchell 300.

I had a green Johnson brand spincast reel when I was a kid that was pretty good too. Can’t remember the model name.

Yep. I had a couple. The best of the best was the Garcia Abumatic 170. It could handle 17 lb test.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
Dad had an Abumatic 170. I had a 150. Matter of fact, I think it’s still out on the shop.
Posted By: MTDan Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21
I also like the Zebco Cardinals. My go-to is the Penn Z-series, but I'd have no problem switching to a Cardinal. Found this guy for $2 at a yard sale the other day

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/23/21

Johnson Century.

My parents' fishing pre-dated Zebco's with old, wore-out Shakespeare open face reels with braided line. My Dad's best friend was a big bass fisherman and convinced Dad I need a Garcia 5000, the best there was at the time, and Dad got me one which I still have. It still casts great. Dad was a snob against Zebco's but I managed to get a Johnson Century which Dad was okay with 'cause Virgil Ward used one. I later gave it to my cousin and he still has it. I got my wife a Shimano for her first reel. It was likewise, the best at the time. I later got her a 33 to back it up. It has disappeared along with my Snap On crescent wrench. I hope they'll turn up, but the hope is dimming.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21

Now i remember. Johnson Century. Drag dial on top. Loved that green color.

I still prefer my Abu 275 on my own custom made, by me, rod by Browning Silaflex with ceramic type guides for gills, redears and crappie. I could cast lures about 20 ft farther with it as a big kid.

Man, i had discovered the mother load.

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Johnson Century.

My parents' fishing pre-dated Zebco's with old, wore-out Shakespeare open face reels with braided line. My Dad's best friend was a big bass fisherman and convinced Dad I need a Garcia 5000, the best there was at the time, and Dad got me one which I still have. It still casts great. Dad was a snob against Zebco's but I managed to get a Johnson Century which Dad was okay with 'cause Virgil Ward used one. I later gave it to my cousin and he still has it. I got my wife a Shimano for her first reel. It was likewise, the best at the time. I later got her a 33 to back it up. It has disappeared along with my Snap On crescent wrench. I hope they'll turn up, but the hope is dimming.

Yep. That was it. The Johnson Century. Thanks EE. I think Mom got it for me at the Green Stamp store as part of a fishing kit.
I bought my first Garcia 5000 in 1974 or 75. It was the green 5000 D model. For Direct Drive. You had to let go of the handle for the drag to kick in. Great for hauling big ole bass out of log jams or trees when fishing plastic worms or jigs. Mostly what we called “dabbling” at that time. Seems like it was about $33 or $35 at Gibson’s. It was their cheapest model.

Now i remember. Johnson Century. Drag dial on top. Loved that green color.

Yep. That was the one Doc. Green was always my favorite color.
Mine too.
Posted By: Morewood Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
I kick myself in the ass for getting rid of my first fishing rod and reel. My long-deceased Grandpa gave it to me on my 7th birthday.

A green 6 1/2 - 7 foot Abu Garcia with the now classic Mitchell spinning reel. Over the years I used it so much I wore line grooves in the metal guides. Loved that fishing pole. Never occurred to me that it could be rebuilt.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
So, how is this thread going, Zebco reels, or not being pessimist?

I think in the early 70's, we could buy a cheap Zebco for five dollars?
Dad and i took my uncle "Bohunk" aka Eugene to 'The Jungle' in north Lake Livingston before it fully filled.
He whipped out a big Lucky 13 with his 33. Slurp. The behemoth bass took it hook line and lure to parts unknown.
Bohunk says, Ok, be that way. He opens up his box and soon a brand knew 33 and Lucky 13 is hanging on his rod. Swish, he whips it out. Slurp. The behemoth bass took it hook line and lure to parts unknown.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell

LOL

Saw an old black woman catch a 10lb Bass on a Zebco 202 once. She was using live worms, of course.
Posted By: Morewood Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Ha! Glad I watched to the end, ltpowell.

Dammit!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21

Johnson Century.

Yep. That was it. The Johnson Century. Thanks EE. I think Mom got it for me at the Green Stamp store as part of a fishing kit.
I bought my first Garcia 5000 in 1974 or 75. It was the green 5000 D model. For Direct Drive. You had to let go of the handle for the drag to kick in. Great for hauling big ole bass out of log jams or trees when fishing plastic worms or jigs. Mostly what we called “dabbling” at that time. Seems like it was about $33 or $35 at Gibson’s. It was their cheapest model.
I've still got my Mom and Dad's later rods and reels. Dad got himself a 5000C after seeing how good my 5000 worked. His buddy told him the C was an improvement on mine. I've got it. Not long later, Dad got Mom a 5000D to replace her Shakespeare. I've got it. Of course, I've still got their matching Shakespeare reels from the 40's or 50's. I've also got my Grandpa's Pflueger of the same vintage.

I just bought my daughter a Zebco combo from Walmart. It's a good lookin' rig to replace the Pflueger spincast that went missing at the same time the wife's 33 did.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by GeoW
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??
Oh, yeah forgot about fishing in the ditches of Miami, lol.
Posted By: teamprairiedog Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Zero Hour Bomb Company. WWII maker of things that go boom. After the war was concluded the company found themself with a buttload of stored metal previously destined for bombs. They asked themselves "well, whadda we gonna do with all this metal?" After scratching their heads they thought "Well.....lets make fishing reels!"

I've always heard that they made some kind of explosive for the oil industry that was basically the shape of the first reels but there are people here on the 'Fire that would know a lot more about that.

I wish I was able to post photos as I've got a few of the Zero Hour reels... one that is still in the box... at one time they were often seen in this area at auctions and garage sales.
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??

You drove your boat while I trolled for Stripers in Lake Buchanan 4 or 5 years ago at Jag’s place. 🤠
Great “old time” fishing thread. Brought back some good childhood memories.

Sure would like to spend one more day catching crappies with my favorite GrandDad. He passed when I was 10. But gave me the love of fishing that lasted a lifetime. 🤠
Posted By: gunzo Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
I've got 2 pre Snoopy rod & reels. Bought before they started calling them Snoopy poles. One mine, & the other my brothers. Found them in mom & dads basement before I sold the house. Kept them just because.

Wouldn't ya know it, still useful. Perfect for catching small bait fish for limb lines.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??

You drove your boat while I trolled for Stripers in Lake Buchanan 4 or 5 years ago at Jag’s place. 🤠

That too, chit must be getting Alzheimer's.
Bluegills Roger???

Peacock bass??

That too, chit must be getting Alzheimer's.

LOL.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Started with Johnson Century’s. Moved on to spinning gear by the time I was 10. Started using baitcasters when I was 16, Abu Garcia.
Haven’t casted a closed face reel since I was a young kid.

Don’t see the romance to be honest. They’re like a bike with training wheels.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
I don't know how they do it now, but back when I was a kid, BASS had state tournaments with local anglers and the one that won their big national tournament, got to go to the BASSMASTER'S CLASSIC and compete with the big boys. I forget who it was, won that one with a Zebco and then went on and competed in the Classic with it.

I think the "romance" is that you can do so much with so little. I was just thinking about the same thing and thinking about cheap scopes that are perfectly serviceable. I killed my first buck with a model 788 Remington that I bought at TG&Y and which came equipped with a 4x Tasco.
I don't know how they do it now, but back when I was a kid, BASS had state tournaments with local anglers and the one that won their big national tournament, got to go to the BASSMASTER'S CLASSIC and compete with the big boys. I forget who it was, won that one with a Zebco and then went on and competed in the Classic with it.

I think the "romance" is that you can do so much with so little. I was just thinking about the same thing and thinking about cheap scopes that are perfectly serviceable. I killed my first buck with a model 788 Remington that I bought at TG&Y and which came equipped with a 4x Tasco.

I bought my third handgun from TG&Y. Ruger Super Blackhawk. Of course, Mom had to fill out the paperwork. Think I was 16. We had three of them in the town I grew up in. Bought a lot of ammo & fishing lures from them too. And Case Hunting knifes. Got my first pocket knife I paid for there too. A Barlow. 🤠
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Got some really cool old zebby’s from my grandpa. Mostly hanging on cabin walls now as decoration. I could pull them off any day, re-string and get after it with them if I wanted. My brand of choice for function is Shimano and has been for many decades.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Started with Johnson Century’s. Moved on to spinning gear by the time I was 10. Started using baitcasters when I was 16, Abu Garcia.
Haven’t casted a closed face reel since I was a young kid.

Don’t see the romance to be honest. They’re like a bike with training wheels.

I’m old enough to remember Zebco reels meant you were either 5 years old and learning coordination for casting and reeling or you were a tardO adult that still put a left shoe on a right foot.

🦫
Posted By: MadMooner Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Zebco 202 and fishing bluegill, bass, catfish, and crappie.
Lake Weiss, Lanier, Altoona, and a schit ton of little ponds and creeks in between.

I might of been 10 or so before I upgraded to proper spinning gear.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
I have various baitcasters, eggbeaters, a couple of fly reels and a sidecast, but I also enjoy using the Zebcos.

I don't remember seeing them here when I was a kid. I started out with handlines. In fact my earliest memories are of green linen "cuttyhunk" wound onto a beer bottle, soon followed by getting a made-up monofilament handline wound onto a cylinder of cork - it came with sinker and hook all ready to go, and if you wanted a float you'd cut a piece of the cork off. I'm still not averse to a handline every now and again - there's something quite primal about it, but I went to eggbeaters as a teenager and then tried various other things.

They all have their place. I fish at local beaches and occasionally off the rocks, do a bit of trolling and bottom bashing in the salt too, and also fish for trout and some of our natives in the fresh.

On the Zebco reels though, I bought one for my wife years ago, as I thought it looked like an easy thing for her to learn to use. It is, and she loves them. I tried it and I like it too. Easy and simple things to use, and just about ideal for flicking little lures to trout or various pan fish. We now have about 4 between us. After having a go of one of mine a mate recently bought one too, for dropping little lures into trout streams.
Posted By: krp Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21

Rainy morning again, went out and found my box of old freshwater reels, most I forgot about. I did have a green Johnson but may have tossed it.

Kent
Posted By: CCCC Re: The Zebco Thread - 07/24/21
Years back when we drove through S. New Zealand for about three weeks, I needed a way to take some simple, useful and not precious fishing gear on the flight - so I could try their rivers and lakes. Three piece rod, Zebco and a large baggie of lure/hook/weight/ stuff did the job. Lots of opportunities on the South Island - fished somewhere different every day - caught a nice range of stuff and cooked in in the rented MoHome. The Zebco was a perfect choice for that run. Only problem was the rock snot in some streams.
Posted By: rifletom Re: Living In Fear? - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
As the years pass there are things forgotten no doubt. What is fear?

Fear is when your coffee machine dies. Thats fear.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Living In Fear? - 07/24/21
I had a zebbico when I was a kid. It didn't have the traditional trip lever on the back. It had a gray looking ball that spun and I could feather the cast. other than that; they got no guts.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Living In Fear? - 07/24/21
Really nice collection of reels, krp.

Mine sit all snarled up in boxes.
© 24hourcampfire