Home

Wow those were great, a car for a good guy.
Yup throughout the 60s and 70s, pops had one or 2, needed it with 7 kids. In the early 60s we had a 11 window vw van when living in germany
Dad had a Volare wagon. It was a hunting, fishing, camping son of a gun. With the 318 it was good on gas and peppy also.
I never have, but my mom did, Comet station wagon
Ashamed to say. My first car was a Chevy Celebrity station wagon. Hated it from the get-go but dad thought he got a good deal on it so that was what I was stuck with.
First car, 1981 Volvo 240 wagon. Turd brown. Bought it with 160,000 sold it with 320,000. Camped all the time, places it shouldn’t have been. Sold it and bought a D50, little Mitsubishi piece of scheit but went hood in the mountains.

Am I one of the “good guys” now? If so I’m [bleep]’ out of here…
Ford LTD Country Squire station wagons for our family in the early through the middle and late 70’s. They had 460’s in em’, and they would haul ass.

I asked dad why all of the wagons?

He replied, "It's because I can fit a sheet of plywood in it."
If it couldnt fit there, it went on the roof or trailer.

90% of the time a car was all he needed.

I took after him .
I currently own a 85 Crown Vic station wagon.

I am not one of the good guys!
The second vehicle I owned was a 1960 Rambler wagon I got for $200. Got it home a found it had a c-clamp holding the diff cover in place.
Rebuilt the rear end and it turned out to be a pretty good party car. Next best thing to a cargo van.
Back when cars still came with those aerodynamic fins for flying down the highway. LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by antlers
Ford LTD Country Squire station wagons for our family in the early through the middle and late 70’s. They had 460’s in em’, and they would haul ass.

Friend had one in high school. White with the fake wood accents. It was a boat. Dead stickers all over it. Cops pulled him over twice a week!
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Friend had one in high school. White with the fake wood accents. It was a boat.
Yep. Ours had that same fake wood on the sides. Yep. Land yachts.
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Ashamed to say. My first car was a Chevy Celebrity station wagon. Hated it from the get-go but dad thought he got a good deal on it so that was what I was stuck with.

Same scenario but a 1983 Chevy Cavalier station wagon. I drove it all over for a few years and didn’t hate it for transporting an ice shanty and other fishing gear in the back. My second car was Chevy Celebrity with some kind of “sport package” that never ran right and died shortly after I got it.
Could you get one in 4x4?

Predecessor to the Subaru Outback. 😂🤣🇺🇸
Am I a good guy.

Have had three.

Subarus
Subarui?

92-96, loved them. Bought them starting in 07, paid from $1500 to $2600.
Ran them over 13 years, maybe $600 in work per car over it life with me.
Hauled 10' stock of various types, totally inside. Hauled around 600# of coal in buckets per trip.
Slept in one several times.
Would have one now but they hold their value too well, and their really bad head gasket years are where I'd be buying
The first car my brother and I had was a 1963 Plymouth Soil and Water Conservation surplus station wagon with a 1964 front end. Slant six and three on the column...wasn't but 4 years old when we got it and only been wrecked once. $275. That thing was a tank! It would go anywhere our friend's trucks would go. I'm not going to say that I wish I had it now, because it was a piece of 60's crap... even if it ran most of the time. Had to tune it up often, it was bad on tires and had alignment issues, the shift linkage sucked and only my brother and i could drive it without it getting hung up. A 2 C-cell flashlight was brighter than the headlights and it didn't have power anything...steering, or breaks. Loved to hate that thing.
Originally Posted by Texczech
Dad had a Volare wagon. It was a hunting, fishing, camping son of a gun. With the 318 it was good on gas and peppy also.

I traded a guy a complete 318 small block for a running puke orange-cream plymouth volaré

We intentionally destroyed by running it through briar thickets at 40-50 mph, donuts and whooptie humps. Good thing it dodnt have air bags. Haha
First car, 1981 Volvo 240 wagon. Turd brown. Bought it with 160,000 sold it with 320,000. Camped all the time, places it shouldn’t have been. Sold it and bought a D50, little Mitsubishi piece of scheit but went hood in the mountains.

Am I one of the “good guys” now? If so I’m [bleep]’ out of here…

I drove one of those all over Norway and Finland for 2 months, It was a 1984 and was tricked out w/ Thule ski racks and studded tires. 2 guys a ton of gear and skis. It was a true all weather touring car and absolutely bombproof.

mike r
Like the black one there behind me and my old man? The family vehicle for many years running. When the first motor went out after 150K miles (?) the old man priced a crate motor from the factory and said fine, I don't have to rebuild the thing.

Me in the gray jacket, old man squatting down fixing the Tang for breakfast probably. No need for 4wd back then, just drive the old jalopy out the desert wash.

I owned a couple of Subaru wagons, and they'd go places that old Parkwood couldn't go.

Wish the RAV4 we had now had a real station wagon back end. Would make it much more useful.
i had a 1970 Chevy Kingswood ,with a 400 motor in it,leather seats, under the dash chevy 8 track player. One hell of a car. Wish I still had it
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The second vehicle I owned was a 1960 Rambler wagon I got for $200. Got it home a found it had a c-clamp holding the diff cover in place.
Rebuilt the rear end and it turned out to be a pretty good party car. Next best thing to a cargo van.
Back when cars still came with those aerodynamic fins for flying down the highway. LOL

That looks just like my grandpa's old work wagon. Does that have the pushbutton automatic transmission?
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I’d take an AMC Eagle…
1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate Wagon. Green with fake wood siding.
My 1st car was in college, a '59 Ford Fairlane wagon. It was 300 miles from home to school and I made the trip quite often. I always had 4 or 5 passengers to cover the gas and there was plenty of room for luggage. When I was a senior, a cute freshman girl heard a car was heading her way and asked to go along. It turned out that she lived only a few miles from us. I married her 3 years later.

Had a 76. Lot of fun had with and in that car. Used to drift the curves on those gravel roads with it, and country gals always appreciated a guy who could drive. 😁
Yep. Had a ‘96 taurus wagon with the dohc v6. It was a pretty stout runner. Had two actually. The first went to 261k miles and the second had 180k on it. They were both going strong when I sold them. You could haul a washing machine in the back of those things. And they weren’t a emasculating minivan.
78' Chevy Malibu V6 in powder blue with a manual three speed...

.....yes, it sucked.
Had a 70 Chevelle wagon, with a 250 straight six. Bought it from my dad for $600. Plenny of power to tow my tin boat, as well as sleep in the back. Awesome vehicle....till some dumbass slammed into me and totalled it.
Slumlord.

Are you keeping track, a running list of sorts, of who are the good guys here?
Still have one...
LOL. This thread reminded me of Eric Foreman’s Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser From “That 70’s Show”

The episode where ole Red Foreman ate the Marijuana Brownies and sold it at the Garage Sale was hilarious!

“You colluded literally cruise the vista in it”

63 Rambler with 3 seats. Got it Junior Year. Best party vehicle ever. My original stump jumper.
George
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Like the black one there behind me and my old man? The family vehicle for many years running. When the first motor went out after 150K miles (?) the old man priced a crate motor from the factory and said fine, I don't have to rebuild the thing.

Me in the gray jacket, old man squatting down fixing the Tang for breakfast probably. No need for 4wd back then, just drive the old jalopy out the desert wash.

I owned a couple of Subaru wagons, and they'd go places that old Parkwood couldn't go.

Wish the RAV4 we had now had a real station wagon back end. Would make it much more useful.

That's a pretty clean machine for having been driven out into the desert.
Great pic!
I am ashamed to say I owned a Pinto Station Wagon in the mid 1970's. I was young and had two kids with all of their stuff that their mother had purchased for them that had to go wherever we went, and it was the cheapest to purchase and operate thing I could find with some room in it.

It broke a timing belt before the 1st year was up and it was replaced under warranty. I replaced it a couple of years later when I had a little more money with a full size sedan.
My first car was a 1958 Mercury station wagon, which was 10 years old when I purchased it during my sophomore year in high school in 1968 for $15 from a guy who "won" it in a local charity drawing. It had a 430 V-8 and push-button automatic transmission, padded dash, power windows, etc. etc. Everything worked except the "park" button for the transmission, and since the emergency brake was also toast I kept a brick painted "parking brake" next to me on the front seat. Would toss it under the left front tire when parking on any sort of slope that wasn't next to a curb.

It got around 4 mpg in town, maybe 6 on the highway. Gas was around 27 cents a gallon, so I asked anybody who rode with me (and a lot did) for a quarter for gas. Sometimes I even came out ahead, since it was had huge seats.

The big advantage was a just-as-huge, carpeted cargo area behind the seats, which worked fine for spending time with girlfriends.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

That looks just like my grandpa's old work wagon. Does that have the pushbutton automatic transmission?

Nope, three on the tree.

Great pic!

Looks like theys headed to pick up a body!

friend had about a 64 chevy wagon. with a 350blueprinted enginte, dual quads, etc 4speed, around a 4.11 rear.
it was fun at a stop lite next to some of the "hot" cars.
hauled a lot of beer too.

Great pic!

By the time some low rider bought it out of the driveway, not sure it still ran even, it was starting to show some rust.

Right there in that pic, was probably 10-11 years old. First two back east, the rest in SoCal, so no salt on the roads and we were far enough inland to avoid the salt air too.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Great pic!

Looks like theys headed to pick up a body!

Ssshhhh!

Besides, I think the statute of limitations has run out. "Abuse of a corpse" is all they could have gotten us for anyway.
Hey NVhntr...My Ramblehouse wagon had the pushbutton transmission selectors...and the "mashed potato drive" in the AMC Eagles ...sukked...same friend always wanted to drive for the hunting trips to the Imperial Valley from San Diego...and we were towed home 3 times i can remember...no telling how many times he didn't tell us about...
Slumlord.

Nope

Just dorks

😂

No but I bet Black Shart has owned one LOL
I had two Jeep XJ, two ZJ and one WJ.
4wd station wagons IMHO
Our family had a Vista Cruiser, pre-emission control V8 which ran on leaded premium. Got rid of it when gas went to shit.
Originally Posted by hookeye
4wd station wagons IMHO

I always wanted a Jeep Wagoneer but it never worked out.
My folks had a couple station wagons while I was growing up. I distinctly remember the 57 Chev wagon we had. I was born in 53 and I think we bought that car in 58 and most of the family (of 10 of us) rode in it all the way back to North Dakota from Oregon for a family reunion twice while I was still pretty small.. I remember also these were the days when most people's trailer towing vehicle was the family sedan- including us... the end of the 57 was when my dad hit a deer with it on his way back from a deer hunting trip...

When I was in the army I bought a 72 Vega Kammback wagon... blew up the engine in it- which was a regular occurrence with those and stuffed a built 327 in it and terrorized myself and everyone else who rode in it... After I got married I had an 83 Malibu wagon with the fake woodgrain sides. Loved that car and it drove great the whole time I had it. Had a 350 with a Turbo 350 tranny in it and it handled better than most of the 60's hot rods I owned... hated to see it go, but it was about worn out by time I had it three or four years so it went down the road for something else I needed- a 72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4....

Right now station wagons are hot in the collector world and prices are going through the roof...

Bob
Nazi pinto wagon. LOL

4wd station wagons IMHO

Me too, but all rusted away around here.
Really liked the looks of the 2 dr Cherokee Chief.
Bud had a minty 78 black n grey.
It too rotted away. Didnt take long either.
4wd station wagons IMHO

Best friend in High Schools Mom had one. 1976 Model.
We put that thing through Hell. It was a tough SOB. Never got stuck in it either.
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

Our first new married car. I needed to bring twins home from the hospital. It worked for what it was needed for. We went from that to a Suburban.
I grew up in station wagons. My dad was a Dodge guy. I think the last one was a 67 Coronet wagon.
MY buddy's dad had the ultimate "station wagon".

mid 60's International Travelall!

They did a bunch of camping in that thing.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Slumlord.

Nope

Just dorks

😂

I always knew there were a lot of nerds here. Nobody that isn't one would buy/drive a station wagon for their first vehicle.
Originally Posted by mathman
Our family had a Vista Cruiser, pre-emission control V8 which ran on leaded premium. Got rid of it when gas went to shit.

Oh yeah!! My friends mom had one. His dad worked for GM at the time and got it with a big block. 427, 429? It was the third fastest car in town at the time. Talk about a sleeper.
I had a girlfriend in high school who's Dad had a station wagon.
Originally Posted by kingston

Slummy might say you're a dork by association then?

Carpet in the back? Or the rubber liner?
I'ld love to have that Parkwood wagon Valsdad posted up.

I looked for a 63 Ford Falcon Wagon for years. But everyone I found in this part of the country was beyond my skills to bring back to life and they still werent scared to ask a lot of money. So i settled for a 62 for door sedan. Going to make it reliable, drop it 3 inches and drive the piss out of it.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by mathman

Oh yeah!! My friends mom had one. His dad worked for GM at the time and got it with a big block. 427, 429? It was the third fastest car in town at the time. Talk about a sleeper.

The Olds big block was a 455.
Some people call me Maur-rice. .
Originally Posted by kingston

^^^^^^^^^
Kid Fugker

I ain’t playin’ Man

I’d take an AMC Eagle…

I would take one with the 304 v8 option! Then bolt a 401 in it since they had the same size block and would bolt right up.
We grew up with them in the 60's and 70's. With 6 of us boys, they came in handy. One had fold up seats in the space you'd normally find a spare tire for the youngest. Can't remember the make, but it was a "woody". The last one was a Ford with steering so loose it would steer itself if the road was banked in the turns.
Had a 1956 Chevy 2-dr Handyman Wagon for a while. Does that count?
Had a 55 Chevy and a 55 Ford station wagon, both 2-doors, blacked-out the windows and put a mattress in the back, they were like having a bedroom on wheels to a HS age kid.
when i had 3 kids under 5 i seriously considered a used 93 or so olds roadmaster wagon. real woodgrain decals, the whole nine yards. my ass was hanging out in those days. new house payment, stay at home wife and way more kids than car. the wagon was a friggen tank but it was a luxury liner. drove nice, all loaded up, really a nice car. and it was like 8 or 10 grand. really cheap. it was a toss-up between paying cash for that tank or going yet further in hock for a new f150 extended cab. i think my wife talked me into the truck. damn good decision.
79 Malibu wagon with 81k miles sitting in the garage now
I was raised with wagons and had one up until SUVs took over. My favorite one Dad had was a mid 50's Pontiac 2 tone blue. Man, I'd like to have that now....what a land yacht.
Originally Posted by MARCEL
79 Malibu wagon with 81k miles sitting in the garage now

i actually like those. be nice to drop a stroked big block and some good brakes and suspension in one.
1978 Olds Custom Cruiser. Fold second and third row seats down, you could fit a full 4’x8’ sheet of plywood in the back. Or an entire little league girls softball team. Back before seat belts were mandatory.
53 ford. Dad had a 61 Chevy. 73 hornet. 84 buick century. ? Ford escort ( not memorable) 2 scouts. Explorer. Jeep cherokee. Sorento. Trax . Those last are probably SUVs really.
1965 Catalina wagon, then two wide-grill Wagoneers, 68 and 71 I think. Lots of family camping and hunting trips in those. Then a Jimmy and Sierra ended the wagons.
Two.

Cream colored 77 plymouth Volare. Rusted out quarter panels. All the girls wanted to party in that wagon.

2nd was a 88 Toyota camry wagon. I gave it to my uncle with 220,000 miles and I think he drove it on up to 380,000.
Had a 70 Chevelle wagon, with a 250 straight six. Bought it from my dad for $600. Plenny of power to tow my tin boat, as well as sleep in the back. Awesome vehicle....till some dumbass slammed into me and totalled it.
I dunno if it counts, but we had a ’97 Saturn SW2 wagon. I really liked the design of that car, I only wish Honda or Toyota had made it.

Saturns were to automobiles what Hi-Points are to firearms. Saturns made Dodge Neons seem reliable. Saturns might have even made Trabants seem reasonable.

The first motor quit at 150,000 miles which was odd since maintenance had been impeccable, Mobil 1 even. Stranger still IIRC the motors were from Mitsubishi, maybe the rest of the car exuded a crap force field or something.

Had a salvage motor put in, at which point the motor and transmission were about the only things still working, pretty much everything was broke including the A/C and manual windows. Used as a dog hauler and extra vehicle after that, back seat folded down permanently. Once I hauled 900lbs of landscaping bricks in it.
I learned to drive in a 52 Chevy station wagon. Mom,Dad and four kids squeezed into for a camping trips. My first station wagon I bought was a 61 Ford wagon. I think it was called a Country Squire
Had an LTD wagon in the early 80’s when my son was born. Thing was a POS. Had it less than 2 years.

Wow those were great, a car for a good guy.

Fuick and no.
Had a 2000 Dodge Durango - essentially a station wagon with 4WD and a light truck chassis.
Had one like this we called "Old Betsy".

Moonroof about killed us.

Originally Posted by Higginez

I sure like the looks of those.

The Chevy version isn't bad either.
And another just like this.

Neither would traverse the Grapevine without overheating at 55 mph.

1954 Ford Ranch Wagon...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I sure like the looks of those.

The Chevy version isn't bad either.

Geno, of all the cars we drove into the ground, Old Betsy was likely the coolest.

The Renault R-8 might have been more memorable though as I remember Mom running a few Hells Angels off the road after they had pointed a revolver at her and dragged a chain over the roof.

Bakersfield 1978.

Ah, the memories.....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I currently own a 85 Crown Vic station wagon.

I am not one of the good guys!

Sig line material.
Folks had a ‘57 bel air station wagon. Friend had a Vega wagon for a while.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

friend had about a 64 chevy wagon. with a 350blueprinted enginte, dual quads, etc 4speed, around a 4.11 rear.
it was fun at a stop lite next to some of the "hot" cars.
hauled a lot of beer too.

In the early '70's I had a '64 Impala wagon with the 300 hp 327 cu in V-8, 4-speed and 4:11 Posi rear.
When I was in 3rd grade, we had a neighbor with an AMC Hornet just like this. His Mom drove that thing and she musta been 6 ft 2 inches tall and like to drink. We had a red headed retarded kid in our class (no offense Flave) that we were all pretty nice to last name of Splitstone. One Friday morning as my twin brother, a neighbor kid and myself walked to school, the Splitstone paterfamilias confronted us claiming we were picking on his retarded son and threatened an ass whooping. He smelled of booze and had tobacco juice drool down both sides of his cheeks. My brother and I never said anything to our parents as we weren't narcs, but our friends apparently had told their folks.

Come Monday morning that Splitstone fella was back threatening us kids and I will never forget the feeling of absolute glee, seeing my buddies mom and her amazonian self pulling up in that AMC Hornet telling that old hobo (no offense meant here Certifiable) what exactly she was gonna do to him if he didn't head right back where he came from.

They replaced it with a Bronco 2, which has to be the perfect replacement vehicle.

1962 Ford Country Sedan.

It was not fast but there was a lot of room.
Another Country Squire kid checking in.

Holy moley listen to that sleeper lope.
And another just like this.

Neither would traverse the Grapevine without overheating at 55 mph.

Originally Posted by plainsman456
1962 Ford Country Sedan.

It was not fast but there was a lot of room.

Ours was a 1961 Country Sedan. 292 with a 3 on the tree. Mom and dad bought it used in 1964. It died with 129,000 on the odometer and rust up the kazoo in 1971.

kwg
Yep a 1966 chev biscayne wagon, took the six out eventually and put a V8 in it, then changed it from Armstrong steering to power steering.
Also had a 1970 LTD wagon with a 390 in it, used to turn air cleaner lid upside down and you could really hear the 4 barrel open up.
Mom had a white Peugeot 504 diesel. Can't remember when, but it was probably in the mid-late 70's. I remember it being a good vehicle.
!975 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser wagon. Lots of options, rode nice, loved gasoline . Was a good car, hated that it had fender skirts.

My folks had one of them when I was a kid. Caramel Copper color. Had a push button auto trans that I thought was pretty cool. I was too young to ever drive it.
I had to take my driver's test in my parents' '71 Ford wagon. That was rough. The dreaded parallel parking was like trying to park an aircraft carrier!

Driving it on dates motivated me to get a job and buy my first car.
Guy in high school circa 1979 had a Chevy Nomad IIRC
Dropped a engine, trans, rear axle in it.
That thing would move!!!!
Front tires lift off the road 7 or 8 inches if he got on it from the start.
Fugger burn the rear tires going up hill for 100 150 ft or until he let off it or gained traction thru speed.
4wd station wagons IMHO

you know the original wagoneers and cherokees were classified by DOT as station wagons...
long after essuvees had been invented I had a police officer ask me why my registration said it was a station wagon...
I guess he didn't realize that the essuvee was johnny come lately to the four door 4x4 game...

what were Broncos and k5s registered as?
I do t recall them having the same first two tag digits the way ford and chevy (each their own unique two digits) pick-ups did...
In 1966 my dad gave me his '57 Chevy wagon so I could rebuild the blown motor and have something to drive. I did a literal shadetree job of it, honing the cylinders with the block still in the car. I forgot to mark the rod caps and got them mixed up, and the motor was stuck. A mechanic friend towed the car to his shop and straightened out the mess. We drove that wagon all over the Colorado Rockies summer and winter for years afterward. Later I had a '62 nova wagon given to me, and this time I put in a short block and drove that car for years as well. Wife and I had a '76 Ford wagon with the wood-look sides and rear roof portholes, also given to us with a blown rear end. Cost 100 dollars to bring a replacement from the salvage yard and get it bolted up. A whole progression of Cherokee Chiefs, Wagoneers, Grand Wagoneers, and a Suburban have followed, up to the present Expedition. I also feel a 4x8 sheet of whatever should fit inside so it don't get ruined on the way home.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
4wd station wagons IMHO

you know the original wagoneers and cherokees were classified by DOT as station wagons...
long after essuvees had been invented I had a police officer ask me why my registration said it was a station wagon...
I guess he didn't realize that the essuvee was johnny come lately to the four door 4x4 game...

what were Broncos and k5s registered as?
I do t recall them having the same first two tag digits the way ford and chevy (each their own unique two digits) pick-ups did...

In Connecticut you could register a Blazer or Bronco as a car. I did with mine anyway.
Station wagons are frowned on and considered not cool yet today they're everywhere, except they aren't called that any more. People will gladly drive a crossover or SUV but wouldn't be seen in a 'station wagon'.

[Linked Image from toyota.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I’d feel much more shamed if my first car was a mini-van.
Actually I have a mini-van. It's an '04 Pontiac Montana. I bought it from my mother in '07 when she gave up her car keys. It's been a great little car. I use it now as a runabout to save miles on our pickup and newer car, which happens to be a Toyota Highlander 'station wagon'.
minivans are fine. i've had a honda for about 10 years and can't bear to get rid of it. it runs great, gets good gas mileage and can haul a ton of stuff. it has a lot of get-up-and-go too. i've hauled deer, plywood, furniture, drunken friends, you name it. only thing i've had to do to it is cv joint and usual brakes and tires, etc. kids all learned to drive on it and hate it naturally but guess what they borrow when their vehicles are in the shop? i'll run that fugger until it dies.
1958 Chevy 283 with three speed and OD. 1962 Ford Falcon. 1964 Jeep Wagoneer, 1966 Jeep Wagoneer, 76 Subaru, Ford Explorer. Favorite? The 66 Wagoneer. GD
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
I’d feel much more shamed if my first car was a mini-van.

The minivan is today’s station wagon
I'd take a station wagon over a SUV anytime. There are still lots on the road but most tend to be higher end cars incl BWW, VW, Volvo, Benz. Subaru used to make them but have switched over to a more SUV design. I wish Toyota would make a Corolla wagon for those who don't need a status car. I'd buy one.
I never had a station wagon. One of my father’s brothers always had Dodge or Plymouth wagons. (He had ten kids.) I remember my father borrowed his brother’s car once…my brother and I thought it was really cool, riding in the rear-facing back seat.

I drove back from Florida with my uncle once, from my grandmother’s, right before I left for boot camp. The rear of the station wagon was loaded with crates of citrus. I took over driving when we crossed into Georgia at about 10:00 PM. It was all 2 lanes then, pre interstate days. There was little or no traffic and the road was straight. My uncle fell asleep and I wound that wagon up to about 100 mph. With all that citrus in the back, the front end just sort of floated… oversteer? You bet. When my uncle woke up he was amazed at how many miles we’d covered.
Got thru College with VW Squarebacks... all bought for $50 with a blow motor.... junk yard motor with 10 to 20K on them for $100. 10 minutes to install it..
drove those things to high miles. sold them for $250 and do it all over again.... after college, bought a 68 Volvo Wagon, had that when I was in the Army, out in Washington.... then bought a used 75 Volvo Wagon in 78....then an 83 Volvo Wagon for the wife and the kids, and bought me an 84 Volvo Wagon new.., wore the body out in MN salt roads after 11 years.... bought a used 84 Volvo here in Oregon, and then an 85 Diesel Wagon... that was my last Volvo..

Last new car I ever bought, my 88 Toyota 4 Runner.... still have that 585,000 miles on it...

Replaced my 93 Camry with a 2006 Pilot in 2014... That will roll over 300,000 on it this week...like 200 miles to go..

I've had some sort of Station Wagon since 1972... Hey they are functional....

Does that make me a good guy? I doubt it.... Does it make me a Cheap Ass? Most definitely...
When I was about 14 (1966) My older Brother had a '49 ford "woody" wagon.

Man, I bet that car would be worth a big pile of money now days!

Virgil B.
Does Cadillac still make the CTS-V in a station wagon?

Who wouldn't want a Corvette motor in a station wagon?

I wouldn't mind a station wagon at all but my wife throws a fit about it. I have owned 2 mini-vans (one was AWD so not completely lame). Parents never had one growing up. We were a pickup truck family

I always liked those Volvo's Cross Country's. They make a slick modern version but this is the style that I wanted
[Linked Image from autotraderau-res.cloudinary.com]

2015 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon -556HP, $58K used in 2017

[Linked Image from sportscarmarket.com]
My parents bought a 63 ford falcon station wagon. I remember family camping trips in it when I was pretty young.
Dad had a Ford Country Squire--65 I think. He replaced it with a 72 Chevelle Concours. It was a great date car. Mom asked me once why I put a pillow and a blanket in the back and I didn't have an answer. Dad told her it was in case I broke down and she commended me for being prepared.
Joe Dirt’s parents were in a Rambler wagon when they ditched him at the Grand Canyon.
Folks had a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere s/w. No ac, no radio, no power steering; but Dad did condescend to get an automatic transmission. I hated that thing. I didn't date in high school because I was embarrassed to have to drive it (I spent my summer tobacco field money on a 20 gauge Ithaca/SKB shotgun instead of putting it towards my own car; I had my priorities straight, even as a young whippersnapper.) My Dad and I would put the canoe in the back of the Belvedere and go fishing or duck hunting. Sweltered going fishing, froze going hunting. But at least after school I could load up the setter and the SKB and head out of town to do battle with the quail. Mom was good about getting her shopping done in the mornings so I could take the wagon in the afternoons.

After marriage (yeah, I finally got around to dating a little) we had a little Datsun 210 and an LTD II, both wagons. The Datsun was small enough it actually felt a little sporty, but the LTD II was emasculating, almost as much so as the later Aerostar. It was not until we got a Suburban that I could look at myself in the mirror again.
Dad had a 61 Rambler American back when I was too young to drive, so about early 60s. It was a good car as I recall.

I had a 1978 Ford Fairmont Estate wagon with the peel and stick wood grain on it. It had a 302 V8 and would smoke the tires. Nice for 2 dogs and a kid.
My first car was a Volkswagen 'squareback' sedan...their version of a station wagon in 1970. It was OK but it wasn't hardly big enough to....well..you know what in...
I have owned one station wagon. 1956 Chevrolet 2 door Nomad with four on the floor and 283 'vette motor that I couldn't keep rear ends in due to my heavy 20's something foot.
My first car was a 1976 Toyota Corolla station wagon. It was a hand me down from my mother forced upon me. I thought it was the most unfair thing in the world ! My friends were getting jacked up trucks and cool muscle cars and I got a turd brown station wagon frown . Mom thought it was perfect because I would hardly get out of its own way and I couldn’t go mudding in it. She was a single mom and an emergency room nurse. She saw the boys who who flipped their jacked up trucks and the racing wrecks. Turns out it was the greatest car for high school ! The AC worked and it had great gas mileage. It was so small and light there weren’t too many places I couldn’t get to. It would easily fit down between pine rows and go places many big jacked up trucks couldn’t. The back seats folded down flat and I had modified a vinyl gym mat to fit. I could run to the beach and back from Tallahassee all week on $20. Once the sun went down in the summer I could park in a secluded spot and let it idle with the AC on and fornicate in comfort. I had sheets and pillows smile. Sadly I don’t have any pictures of it from back in the day.
Had a little Honda wagon - Civic for a while. 1993 model I believe. Beater for riding around cheap.

Of topic - I sold a CVPI 3 years ago with 200k on it. Needed steering rack and tires - I wasn't going to do it.

JUST found another CVPI with 28k on the clock, looks brand new and it's sorely tempting.

They're just killer cars and you feel like Kurt Knispel or Heinz Guderian rolling down the road. SUPER solid car (should be at 4200lbs).

The idea of it is making my eye twitch....
In the summer of '66 my dad bought a brand new 1966 Dodge Polara wagon, black with red interior. 383 ci/325 hp engine. A real nice cruiser.
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate Wagon. Green with fake wood siding.

Those rear ends on that model had the biggest rear drum brakes ever put on an American made car. Great for the hot rodders.
In 1979 I wrecked my 1970 Camaro RS. After a couple of months of hitch hiking, I bought a 1968 Ford Country Squire for $75 from a guy I worked with at the gas station. It was a chick magnet. laugh It was a schit brown color with no hub caps. It had a 351 Cleveland with a two barrel and usually ran on at least 5 or 6 of the 8 cylinders. I mounted my AM/FM 8 track in it and had great big stereo speakers in the back. I screwed up my starter one time when a guy bet me $5 I couldn't do this certain hill climb. I won the bet but it cost me a starter.
That $75 is worth $25K now

https://www.dealerrater.com/classifieds/1968-Ford-Country-Squire-ad-8G76Z211035/
Worth and price

Two different things

LOL
I learned to drive on Mom's '66 Plymouth Valiant wagon. I loved that 225 slant six engine. I drove it on a few dates, but got some nasty looks from dads when they saw the fold down rear seat.
Worth and price

Two different things

LOL

I checked out their site. They have some great cars

streetside classics
1995 Chevy caprice classic wagon red with the fake wood sides and 400plus fuel injection an tubro charged big block that loved the interstate, at about 75 you could feel her kinda squat down on the suspension and she was ready to roll.
My step dad bought a 1968/69 ford country squire station wagon from a dentist in Scarsdale N.Y. in 1975 .The thing was clean as a whistle,dealer maintained from day one with EVERY receipt in the glove box,every scratch dealer touched up,etc. He sold it to my stepdad for $600.00 because they wanted it to go to a nice young family since their kids were grown and gone.It was the nicest car we d ever had.Hell,lt was one of the only cars we d ever had since my alcoholic step dad had a penchant for wrecking cars drunk.But he was on the wagon then and we really enjoyed that car.Had all the factory options,big V -8,etc.But the 1970's were hard construction times and my stepfather had to go welding at a paper mill near Lewiston Maine,in 75/76 He came home one weekend in a borrowed jeep,he said the station wagon had "froze up".I didn t learn until years later,he had passed out behind the wheel northbound on I 95,sailed through the guard rail,landed on the southbound lane below,bounced over THAT guardrail and smashed into the woods.The muffler ripped out,driveshaft ripped loose,engine tore out of the mounts,tree through the windshield,,BUT, his plastic gallon of cheap Vodka survived & he had a bump on his head,thats all.How he didn t kill anyone including himself is known only to God.He ignored that D.W.I and 4 others in various states until he was arrested and dragged out of our house in handcuffs Easter Sunday morning.The computer caught up with him,and then the booze did.Still,it was a nice car while it lasted.Even a tank like that could not survive,"KENNY THE STEWBUM."

Haa, not mine. I was driving on my buddy's gravel driveway one day and got 2 flat tires. I ended up borrowing the tow truck from work and towed it to a junk yard. I think that guy felt sorry for me and he gave me $25.
My Dad bought a 59 Rambler Rebel station wagon. Red with that metal side painted to look like wood. It was a pretty good car I think cause he kept it awhile.

I bought a 58 Chevy wagon when I got married and then went on a VW bus binge for a few years. Should have kept the one with all the windows.
I still remember the day my dad traded our 1969 Chevy nova in on a dodge aspen station wagon, man was I pissed!!!! I think it was 1977.
Originally Posted by cageycat
I still remember the day my dad traded our 1969 Chevy nova in on a dodge aspen station wagon, man was I pissed!!!! I think it was 1977.

That's a crime against humanity right there......
Wagons can be cool, at least cooler than the crossover SUV built on the same platform. America just doesn't like them anymore. Women prefer the taller ride height of the crossover. Guess I'll give up on that 4dr Mustang GT "shooting brake".
did you ever have a station wagon?
Yeah....gave it to my wife when I bought the '71 El Camino with a 4 speed.
Restored the wagon 100% new from front to back! WAY too much money spent but was before I learned how to do restorations myself.
Still has a six, but changed to a 250c.i., dual exhaust, rebuilt Powerglide, power steering, power brakes with disc conversion in the front. New interior, show quality paint job, lots of custom features, stereo, Auto Meter gauges, custom steering wheel with .38 Special caseheads for the rivets holding on the custom crafted wood rings.
Runs like a champ, straight as Hell down the road, and is a class grocery getter. Built a teardrop trailer to pull behind just because it's cool!
I’ve never even ridden in a station wagon. i’ve lived a sheltered life.

One of my earliest memories is riding in the back seat of my parents’ VW Bug. I thought it was cool I could spit through the floorboard onto the road.
Originally Posted by ingwe
My first car was a Volkswagen 'squareback' sedan...their version of a station wagon in 1970. It was OK but it wasn't hardly big enough to....well..you know what in...

One makes do with what they have.

Front seat of a '54 Chevy worked.

I bought my first station wagon in 1966, a used 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon (2-door station wagon) I used that 1955 Ranch Wagon for an every day driver, took a couple of cross-country trips in it, used it as a hunting outfit - I took it into places on some elk hunts that I would be hesitant to take a 4WD into today. Since then I have always had a station wagon in some form or the other, Jeep Wagoneer, Suburban, Celebrity, Jeep Cherokee, and so many others that I would really have to work to remember them all.

I always find it strange that many folks make fun of station wagons but they drive a SUV which is nothing more than a modern rendition of a station wagon.

drover
Closest thing I ever had was a Chevy Blazer and a GMC Jimmy.
Pinto wagon with phony wood, I liked it. I cried when I pulled the head and saw the burnt valve, the tears did not stop until I picked the head up from the machine shop and saw it clean, with a three angle grind to boot.
In laws had a Grand Marquis wagon, the big boy. Best cruiser I've ever driven, I'd bleed for that car.
Faucett
Went to a funeral where there was one of those blondes in a vette. License plate SPOKN4
I drove a Oldsmobile Vista cruiser for a couple years it was a good car.also drove my father in-laws Chevy caprice, best handling car I have ever drove.
VarmintMobile ??

lol

two. 1964 ford galaxy 500, 1979 ford ltd. great cars.
Coronet Wagon with 400 ci ‘Smog’. Great times. Flew like a goose on the interstate cruising at 100: Just flap your wings out the windows. Turbulence ahead!
© 24hourcampfire