Home
Posted By: leadfeather To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Ok fellas, a neighbor of mine invited me to go with him elk hunting a few years back where he at the last minute wanted me to pull horses. The next year I drew a 1st rifle and he drew a muzzle loader bull tag but wanted to go with me after he returned from his hunt in Sept. So I reluctantly agreed then a few days before we are to leave he wants me to drag those dang horses a 1000 miles up there. He bought only 2 of 10 tanks of gas . I did kill a elk and he said his services should take care his share of the gas.
Now as you can imagine I've kind of had my fill of this fella . Now recently he wanted (over anxiously)help me with some work on my deer lease only to find out that he expected tresspass prevledges in return so I told him not to worry about it .
Now this fella goes to CO. every year to elk hunt either muzzle loader or rifle. While riding home from the last trip I asked what he did when he didn't draw he said he would buy a archery and go during muzzleloading season....ya know what I mean. He said he has never been checked out of camp.
Well this year he didn't draw and his plan is to hunt with an archery tag while using a muzzle loader.
Should I put a bug in the right folks ear?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Why bother. Just disassociate yourself for good. He'll get found out soon enough most likely.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Burn him.
Guys like that screw it all up for the rest of us.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Dumb bastard, if you’re gonna break the law at least use a center fire.

JK, Lol. Sounds like a real prick but idk if I’d turn him in. He will get his eventually.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
So he's going to CO with the express purpose of poaching? Fugg em.
Posted By: leadfeather Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
The way thi fella talked down to me when I declined his offer it was tough to walk away. He is a thief and a slight on law abiding sportsman .
Posted By: SBTCO Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Pretty simple, tell him you don't roll with poachers.
2 kinds of white guys I hate. Poachers and cranksters.
Often they are one and the same.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I'd have disassociated long ago. Are you hard up for friends?
No my wife and his are friends and he lives a mile down the road.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
he gets busted , you are going to be painted with the same brush. fish and feathers will remember you. dump him like a date with herpes
Posted By: DMc Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
NO! Don't be an asshat.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I hate poachers. You decide for yourself.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Take him. Haul his horses up the hill.

Then shoot his horse and tell him you thought is was an elk.

Problem solved.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Shoot him while he rides the horse.

Dress the corpse up in a yeti costume.

Tell the cops you thought a yeti was molesting the horse.

Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by DMc
NO! Don't be an asshat.

You deserve an ass kicking. The guy has 49 post since 2012 -vs- your count. It is weighing heavily on him.

I sure wouldn’t hunt with him again and put your assets and ass at risk of being confiscated, jailed, or fined.
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Been time to cut him loose he is going to get you caught up in his bull if not, whether you want to be or not.
Originally Posted by leadfeather
The way thi fella talked down to me when I declined his offer it was tough to walk away. He is a thief and a slight on law abiding sportsman .

If he was talking down to you, perhaps you should have straightened him out there.

As someone else said, a mention that you don't hang with poachers would have been appropriate at that point.

Does his wife, your wife's friend, understand the import of her husband's actions?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
It’s a stated plan, he hasn’t done it yet.

Disassociate from him, keep out of it.

The guy lives a mile down the road, drop a dime on him and he suspects who did it was you, you’ll have a long-term enemy, right down the road, and the guy’s an idiot.

JMHO
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
He’s probably on here reading this. Maybe it will make the next conversation easier.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Drop a dime.

If you don’t, it’s the same as approval.

P
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Ok fellas, a neighbor of mine invited me to go with him elk hunting a few years back where he at the last minute wanted me to pull horses. The next year I drew a 1st rifle and he drew a muzzle loader bull tag but wanted to go with me after he returned from his hunt in Sept. So I reluctantly agreed then a few days before we are to leave he wants me to drag those dang horses a 1000 miles up there. He bought only 2 of 10 tanks of gas . I did kill a elk and he said his services should take care his share of the gas.
Now as you can imagine I've kind of had my fill of this fella . Now recently he wanted (over anxiously)help me with some work on my deer lease only to find out that he expected tresspass prevledges in return so I told him not to worry about it .
Now this fella goes to CO. every year to elk hunt either muzzle loader or rifle. While riding home from the last trip I asked what he did when he didn't draw he said he would buy a archery and go during muzzleloading season....ya know what I mean. He said he has never been checked out of camp.
Well this year he didn't draw and his plan is to hunt with an archery tag while using a muzzle loader.
Do what you think is best. Personally, I wouldn't, but I'm not a rat.
Posted By: hookeye Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Talk is talk.
Disassociate and be done
Posted By: BC30cal Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Shoot him while he rides the horse.

Dress the corpse up in a yeti costume.

Tell the cops you thought a yeti was molesting the horse.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Priceless Sam! laugh laugh laugh

Dwayne
Posted By: hookeye Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
His stating an illegal plan was a gift.
You have an out.
And its justified.

Your wife should accept that as well
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
If he is apparently that much of a dirtbag hunter, wouldn't it be in his nature to try and shift some blame onto you if he got busted while you two were sharing a camp?? Consider that.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
At some point you could be considered an accomplice. Many states confiscate anything and everything associated with a hunting infraction, truck, trailer, tack, guns …..everything.
Posted By: Hastings Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by navlav8r
At some point you could be considered an accomplice. Many states confiscate anything and everything associated with a hunting infraction, truck, trailer, tack, guns …..everything.
That is often the way we handled it. Charge everyone in the truck or camp with possession of illegally taken game. Let it get sorted out in court or before court by lawyers and prosecutors. If you leave out a possible guilty party they are liable to use the empty chair defense. As in the possible culprit that didn't get charged.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
The guy's bad ju ju, you should have parted ways with him long ago. Turn him in and you're probably at risk for revenge, so gotta ask yourself if it's worth it. He'll get caught eventually.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That is often the way we handled it. Charge everyone in the truck or camp with possession of illegally taken game. Let it get sorted out in court or before court by lawyers and prosecutors. If you leave out a possible guilty party they are liable to use the empty chair defense. As in the possible culprit that didn't get charged.

Pay attention to this Man.

ETA:
With this guy you may find yourself in a situation where you’re unable to buy a hunting license in any reciprocal state and there are many reciprocal states.
Posted By: slumlord Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I’ll be durn

So that’s how they do it “wist ofthe missysissississippi”
Posted By: las Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Run away- do not walk.
Burn him anonymously

Fook the wives.

I maybe should refraise that?

And definitely do not tell or indicate to either wife you burned him

Take the hypocrisy oath! smile
It could be handled by telling him that in light of your wives being friends you would like to remain socially cordial but be up front and tell him you have considered calling Colorado F&G on him. Just tell him you are not a poacher and that while you can be neighbors on good terms you are not going to jail with him and not putting yourself at risk and suspicion by hunting with him. And tell your wife what you told him so she doesn't get blindsided.
Posted By: OMCHamlin Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21

Then why do you need an online forum's consensus to do what you know is the right thing? I mean are you wanting one of us to do it for you, or... ?
Posted By: Lonny Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Go undercover for the CO Frog and Grouse department, set up a sting operation, wear a wire, use hidden surveillance cameras, GPS tracking, cell phone tracking, car chases, color your hair, stake-outs, bribes, booze, drugs, and hot women. Just like they do on Netflix drug shows/To catch a Predator/and the Maine game warden show. It should be fun and exciting. Live a little. Great stories down the road!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
It could be handled by telling him that in light of your wives being friends you would like to remain socially cordial but be up front and tell him you have considered calling Colorado F&G on him. Just tell him you are not a poacher and that while you can be neighbors on good terms you are not going to jail with him and not putting yourself at risk and suspicion by hunting with him. And tell your wife what you told him so she doesn't get blindsided.

+1
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Do what you think is best. Personally, I wouldn't, but I'm not a rat.

Turning in a known poacher is not being a rat IMO.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Show up at his house like this and if he doesn’t shoot you, he won’t ever ask to go with you again.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21

Winner of combining the worst ideas into one paragraph. Lonny runs a close second.

Absolutely not!
Drop that dime.

If someone was stealing from you, would you call the authorities?

Well, he is. This land and its abundant wildlife is still ours at this moment.

It is our duty as sportsmen to make sure the game gets the respect it deserves.

He's a cheater and a thief.
He is a fooktard

You are cognizant

Deal with it.

Or not.

Your call
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
An awful lot of these guys get caught because of their mouth.

I wouldn't burn him.

Not now.
Personally, probably never.

But if you wait, and your wives stay friends,
he will offer another chance.
When the situation has cooled down.
And you would be a less obvious suspect.
Both by him,
And by others as a suspect in colussion with him.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Take up golf.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
So, most on the fire dont believe in using the poacher hotline?

(Or)

So, most on the fire dont believe in using the poacher hotline if they know the guy?

Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Just tell him NO your not interested in going with him. You can't afford the chances he takes to be a criminal if your honest. As they say you are judged by the company you keep and tarred by the same brush. Mb
Originally Posted by las

Absolutely not!

This.

Tell him you want to go but your hemorrhoids are acting up.

Then make the call.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Just tell him NO your not interested in going with him. You can't afford the chances he takes to be a criminal if your honest. As they say you are judged by the company you keep and tarred by the same brush. Mb
I have been avoiding him since the lease scam. I believe I'll let carmax run its course. I appreciate the advise!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
He’d a broke me after the first time hauling horses 1k miles and not helping with gas.....

Sheesh!!

Hold onto the empty gas can

#f350kingranchduallysdontrunondreams
Well fellas, this place does not disappoint,
Posted By: Greatlaker Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Carmax is a bi*ch
I’m not big on snitching I wouldn’t turn someone in unless it was causing problems on or near my land. I wouldn’t snitch because they didn’t pay there share of the fuel on a hunting trip and they were a general dickhead. Stop associating with him and move on.
Posted By: dale06 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by RUM7
Burn him.
Guys like that screw it all up for the rest of us.

Absolutely, burn him.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Wow. What a bunch a ankle biting , stab ya in the back Boomers
Originally Posted by Greatlaker
Carmax is a bi*ch

With fair prices
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I’m curious how this would work.

A guy in Mississippi states his intention to take an elk in Colorado with a muzzleloader during archery season, hasn’t done it yet, just stated an intention.

So you call Colorado Fish and Game with a name, probable location and a license plate number?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

A guy in Mississippi states his intention to take an elk in Colorado with a muzzleloader during archery season, hasn’t done it yet, just stated an intention.

So you call Colorado Fish and Game with a name, probable location and a license plate number?

#Loser
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
OP, can’t you figure out when you’re being used? The guy invites you to hunt with him and you end up driving and bringing his horses? The guy says he’ll tag along and then you end up dragging horses. The guy “volunteers” for something and then wants consideration in return? Then he talks down to you? He also tells you he will hunt legally or illegally. Geez. He isn’t a friend. He is a parasite and a liability. Your (or society’s) concerns don’t matter to him. Run, Forrest, Run! If he gets mad, so what. Surely your wife would understand that.

As for diming the guy out, I am not sure what that would accomplish. If you tell game and fish that Joe Blow has an archery tag and said that he intends to hunt with a muzzle loader during the upcoming archery season, and to go find him in the middle of nowhere Colorado and catch him in the act, that is going to be quite a long shot. If you tell them that Joe Blow says that he hunted with a muzzle loader during archery season in the past, that won’t come close to proving a case beyond a reasonable doubt. If it makes you feel better, fine, but don’t expect that it will do much.

Abby
Posted By: WAM Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I can see the headlines and CPW blanket email:

Colorado WiLdlife & Parks spokesperson stated that Two Mississippi men charged with multiple poaching counts including: hunting without a license, hunting out of season for the license held, illegal possession of big game, and attempting to defraud the public. The pair are waiting trial in the Routt County District County court…..

Don’t be that guy
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21

This. But you do what's in your own heart. I've had to disassociate with many guys like this ( some not as bad, some even worse!) through the years. I have no tolerance for them.
Posted By: GeoW Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Sounds like you know right from wrong.. Just do what in your heart is the right thing.

He'll get his regardless.

g
Posted By: rem141r Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
if you associate with him after knowing this, you are a damn fool in my opinion. let the women do their thing and let your wife know exactly what is up. his wife may be up to some sort of schit too. i made up my mind many decades ago to not associate with scumbags. and i know/knew a lot of scumbags of all types. i lost quite a few "friends" over this decision.

and no, i would not narc on him. just get rid of the situation entirely and consider yourself lucky
I had to ditch all my Baptist friends

They kept drinking all my beer
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Cut the rope and walk away before he causes you some SERIOUS trouble with the law. If he is as self centered and bad as you say he is, he will trip over his own dikk soon enough.
Posted By: rem141r Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by slumlord

probably makes them church potlucks a bit uncomfortable. i hate sharing fold-up tables with people i don't like.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I would wish him good luck with his hunts and go do my own thing. I had a similar situation years ago with a guest of another member of our Florida lease, The guy latch on to me after he found out I was out at the lease every weekend and started calling me on Thursdays asking if I was going out there and basically inviting himself along. After a few weeks of making bs excuses why I couldn't take him I ran into him at the grocery where he proceeded to give me sht about not taking him along. I just told him I had other guests I needed to take and if he wanted to hunt every weekend he should probably get his own membership in a lease or find a place to hunt with permission. That was the last I seen or heard from him.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
His stating an illegal plan was a gift.
You have an out.
And its justified.

Your wife should accept that as well

This right here.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
OP, can’t you figure out when you’re being used? The guy invites you to hunt with him and you end up driving and bringing his horses? The guy says he’ll tag along and then you end up dragging horses. The guy “volunteers” for something and then wants consideration in return? Then he talks down to you? He also tells you he will hunt legally or illegally. Geez. He isn’t a friend. He is a parasite and a liability. Your (or society’s) concerns don’t matter to him. Run, Forrest, Run! If he gets mad, so what. Surely your wife would understand that.

As for diming the guy out, I am not sure what that would accomplish. If you tell game and fish that Joe Blow has an archery tag and said that he intends to hunt with a muzzle loader during the upcoming archery season, and to go find him in the middle of nowhere Colorado and catch him in the act, that is going to be quite a long shot. If you tell them that Joe Blow says that he hunted with a muzzle loader during archery season in the past, that won’t come close to proving a case beyond a reasonable doubt. If it makes you feel better, fine, but don’t expect that it will do much.

Abby

This. You're basically accusing him of a thought crime. He's thinking about doing something that he hasn't done yet. Yay, 'Merica, you just went full commie.

Otherwise, I'd disassociate myself from an obvious jerk who simply uses people under the guise of being friends.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21

I think this is the best suggestion.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
We may or may not have burned one of our guys. He had a bad habit of shooting elk on his archery tag and going back and filling another bull tag on his wife’s tag. A tip to the fish cop made for a surprise visit from the red shirts at the trailhead. They played along with his dumb dumb routine and let him go there. I heard the 6am raid on his house the next day was spectacular. 😀😀

Fug poachers.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I'd distance myself from him, but I'd never call the game warden on a neighbor. Them fuqkers wouldn't make many cases if they didn't get all their snitch phone calls. Pisses me off to see a guy get in more trouble for a game violation than if he committed a violent crime or is a drug dealer.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Just a guess here but it's possible the situation might resolve itself without you making a phone call to Co. F&G. If the man is carrying a rifle, muzzle loader or cartridge rifle out in the forests during ARCHERY ONLY season, some archery hunters are bound to see him. They very well might call the game wardens themselves and report a "poacher."

Problem solved.

As others said, however, get rid of this guy. He's bad medicine.

L.W.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

I think this is the best suggestion.

It is...

If by "best" you mean "worst"

Good Lord...
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Abby

Maybe the op knows where he likes to poach elkes? Just a randumb thought.

Lot of rifle toting bear hunters used to accidently bust a bull years ago in Co when i was hunting elk legally with a bow (in archery season).
Posted By: okie Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
just go do your own thing you do not need him....
Posted By: Raeford Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by okie
just go do your own thing you do not need him....

This^^^^^^
Posted By: irfubar Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Just a guess here but it's possible the situation might resolve itself without you making a phone call to Co. F&G. If the man is carrying a rifle, muzzle loader or cartridge rifle out in the forests during ARCHERY ONLY season, some archery hunters are bound to see him. They very well might call the game wardens themselves and report a "poacher."

Problem solved.

As others said, however, get rid of this guy. He's bad medicine.

L.W.

I think the poacher was proposing hunting during the muzzleloader season with an archery tag in his pocket, Could be wrong, either way get away from the clown and if you hear he followed through on his plan and harvest an elk, turn him in
Originally Posted by slumlord

Was they dancin' too?
Originally Posted by mirage243
I'd distance myself from him, but I'd never call the game warden on a neighbor. Them fuqkers wouldn't make many cases if they didn't get all their snitch phone calls. Pisses me off to see a guy get in more trouble for a game violation than if he committed a violent crime or is a drug dealer.

Would you call if he wasn't a neighbor?

If he was taking 10 deer a year out of the area you hunt? 20? More than 20?
Posted By: efw Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

This. But you do what's in your own heart. I've had to disassociate with many guys like this ( some not as bad, some even worse!) through the years. I have no tolerance for them.

Hastings suggests what I’d do. Man to man conversation and clear path forward with clear limitations to your tolerance. No more stupid requests from him and potential peace between the ladies.
Originally Posted by Lonny
Go undercover for the CO Frog and Grouse department, set up a sting operation, wear a wire, use hidden surveillance cameras, GPS tracking, cell phone tracking, car chases, color your hair, stake-outs, bribes, booze, drugs, and hot women. Just like they do on Netflix drug shows/To catch a Predator/and the Maine game warden show. It should be fun and exciting. Live a little. Great stories down the road!

Lonny, hope all is well there where I used to roam.

Now, why didn't I think of your method of dealing with the situation?

I especially like the "hot women" part. Coloring of hair and bribes might work out too. Leave out the booze and drugs for me though, others can have my share.
Posted By: MAC Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
If he is poaching, and by the OP's posts it seems he is, then the OP needs to distance himself from him. If he gets caught in the field and the OP is there then he is going to have to put up with a lot of garbage to clear his name. Guilt by association. And since the poacher has clearly told the OP is is doing "questionable" things then the OP cannot claim to be completely innocent if he does get caught in his presence.

Say goodbye and let him wander off to parts unknown.
I know of someone with 7 acres that kills every deer with a pulse that passes through his 7 acres. 20-30 deer a season. In the off season, he baits the ever living fugg out that little piece of scrub.

Perfectly legal

But if he was doing that next to our much larger property, I’d be more angry than a dude killing 1-2 deer illegally

Dude killing 20-30 deer doesnt even keep them, just dumps em off at hunters for the hungry. All he wants is the Facebook likes and the internet praise.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mirage243

Would you call if he wasn't a neighbor?

If he was taking 10 deer a year out of the area you hunt? 20? More than 20?

Funny story Geno... a few years back, my Calif transplant neighbor landscaped his place..... a week later he calls me up and says hey I have a deer problem.
He proposed he shoot the deer I come pick them up and can have the meat!
I laughed... and said #1 we have game laws and you can't just shoot them #2 no way in hell I would help him in anyway #3 I wasn't cool with him killing our neighborhood deer.
And #4 if he did it anyway I would call the game warden.
He whined and said what should I do? I said two things , buy a hunting license and kill one, during season and I would help him and take the meat smile or 2 build a fence
He moved... win/win
As bad as transplants to an open range county.

Had this ol' girl come wandering onto the place a coupla weeks back. Udder swiinging away. must have a calf somewhere. I called my neighbors, they came, figured out it wasn't one of theirs. I think we narrowed it down to the herd on the ranch at the end of the road that's being leased out. Owner's place is 5 or so miles up the road toward town. She eventually hightailed it back towards where she came from, probably where she left her kid.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had a whole herd last year coming in at night, kept getting through another fence.

Have had two mules and a horse in the yard too. We knew who they belonged too.

No telling how many deer come through and eat the petunias and such.

Just life on the range.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Poachers need to be in jail. And lose all their hunting rights. I don’t tolerate them. Ever.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Poachers need to be in jail. And lose all their hunting rights. I don’t tolerate them. Ever.

Chlin.... not quite that black and white for me. For example a very rural family killing a deer for food in a place with lots of deer doesn't bother me much.
A piece of [bleep] doing it to feed his ego... well that really bothers me
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Sounds like a user. As mentioned earlier in my state they will take everything in camp used to pursue game - Truck, trailer, atvs, rifles, camping gear , etc... if you are caught with an illegal take.

Elk hunting is ususlly a team sport. Buddies and their sons mostly. I always hunt with my sons and if any of my buddies expressed or pulled that crap neighbor or not it would have gotten unfriendly in a hurry. Ten or so years ago at one of the Utah DNR RAC meetings they stated statistically non guided hunters on public lands individually get one elk per individual hunter every five years on average. So this [bleep] is planning on taking more game by breaking the rules. He is an ass.

Tell your wife you will never hunt with him again and tell her why. Tell him the same thing and move on.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I can tell you from experience that most good poaching cases in my state are made from information furnished by someone very familiar with the poacher. It goes like this. The neighbor calls Colorado F&G now and lines up who is the proper contact person for that area since he knows where poacher neighbor camps and hunts. Tells the GW where the camp is, what vehicle to look out for, what the modus operandi is and any evasive actions known. And then says ''I'll call you when he leaves Mississippi. After that it is a piece of cake if a good officer is on the case. I never was too proud to ask a private citizen how he would do it if he was trying to catch the one he was telling me about. I never worried about an informants motive, my concern was whether or not he was being truthful. I understood that if he liked the poacher he wouldn't be calling me.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Seems to me like your "buddy" needs to strike up a friendship with that fat poacher, Ron Kluless (Sharp things - DIY Guy).

wink
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I’d definitely cut ties with him on a sportsman level. Prob all levels. And would let him know why. You don’t deserve to go down with his ship. He can say or think what he pleases about that, no matter. I would not drop a dime on him either though. Prob the Italian in me saying ‘never be a rat’. But I wouldn’t necessarily blame you if you did. Just not for me.
I should add, there have been a couple notable times in my life where someone burnt me pretty bad, and where I definitely could have had my vengeance realized in earnest instantly by picking up the phone to a LEO of one form or another. I did not. Though I thought about it nearly daily for awhile. I have never so far regretted that decision not to.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Chlin.... not quite that black and white for me. For example a very rural family killing a deer for food in a place with lots of deer doesn't bother me much.
A piece of [bleep] doing it to feed his ego... well that really bothers me

I was referring to the real poachers. And Game hogs.
If they need food, I’d have no problem giving them a deer I legally tagged.

I’ve killed a lot of deer on management hunts on a Ranch I managed, and when doing management hunts in College for Wildlife and Fisheries Science. We donated them to either the Salvation Army or often the Local Food Bank.

Although nowadays, I think they’ve put a stop to that due to CWD scares.
Calling the law on somebody is not something I recommend . Kinda gay
Posted By: RS308MX Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
I'd drop a dime on his sorry, poaching ass!
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Is that the "I don't want to get involved" mentality?
Killing game to feed a family is something I can overlook. This guy is blatantly breaking the games laws for no other reason than he wants to.
Originally Posted by RS308MX

Is that the "I don't want to get involved" mentality?

I wouldn’t quite call it that either. It’s a personal decision only the OP can make. Or only any of us could make in similar circumstances. A very individual thing. And I agree it’s kind of a knives edge to walk.
Posted By: Judman Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Burn him can’t believe your even asking…
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Killing game to feed a family is something I can overlook. This guy is blatantly breaking the games laws for no other reason than he wants to.
Killing game or catching fish to feed the family does not consist of dragging a horse trailer over 1000 miles 1 way even if you do manage to poach an elk. Subsistence hunting and fishing is done close to home. I do remember telling one of my co-workers we could keep our pens in our pockets when it came to a poor cane pole fisherman and 1 or 2 slot limit bass.
Originally Posted by Judman
Burn him can’t believe your even asking…

You’re a f a g

Not surprised of your answer given you have a higher than though mentality from your job
Posted By: TCK Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
Fool me once shame on you
Fool me again shame on me
Posted By: ATC Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
A guy like this gets caught and he will throw everyone under the bus just to save his skin, guilty or not.

As they say, RUN, don't walk away as fast as you can.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: To burn him or not? - 07/27/21
If a mans doing something you’d consider calling LE to handle, it should be bad enough that you feel the need to beat his ass…and do it. beating women or children, molestation, any crime against a helpless victim, animal abuse…. Poaching is between the poacher and the GW. Unless it’s on my property or area I hunt and then it’s my duty to call him out.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: To burn him or not? - 07/28/21
Phug poachers, there should be a bounty on them.

mike r
Posted By: MAC Re: To burn him or not? - 07/28/21

You would know gay. Just sayin...
Posted By: Hastings Re: To burn him or not? - 07/28/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Phug poachers, there should be a bounty on them. mike r
There is a bounty. Some states pay rewards. Louisiana does.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: To burn him or not? - 07/28/21
To me this sounds like the OP doesn't necessarily care about the act of poaching as much as he wants a reason to get back at the guy for being a major douche bag. lol

The suggestion of telling the douche bag that you "considered calling CPW" on him is really dumb. If and when he gets caught, he's going to blame you and probably exact some sort of revenge, not to mention make it hell on your wife's relationship with his wife in the meantime.

I'd just ignore the dumbass.
© 24hourcampfire