Home
Pulled the trigger on this one last week, at Shell Valley in Nebraska. It will be delivered next week. Always wanted a Cobra replica car, but always too many other things in the way, it seems. Anyway- after a year or more of dealing with this Covid mess, the loss of family members and friends, death of two next-door neighbors, my wife going thru 2 surgeries for breast cancer, and all the liberal craziness, it was time. This car was being sold on consignment for a gentleman who has been diagnosed with ALS, and is divesting himself of all his vehicles.

I will have a lot of hoops to jump thru here in Colorado to get it titled and registered, but it will be worth it- this thing is an absolute kick to drive!

I'm sure lots of you out there have your own Bucket List cars, or trucks- let's see 'em.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That’s nice! 302 or 427?
I'd like a 60's Ford truck, patina, short box, modern suspension with a twin turbo Coyote under the hood.

A slab side Shovel head bobber - zero engineering style.

I could also like a late 70's F250 with a Cummins in it. 4x4

A bull nose Bronco with a 7.3 in it would be fun too.

GF wants a 67 Mustang in red.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
That’s nice! 302 or 427?

427 small-block stroker, crankshaft dyno HP 485, 505 lb. torque, Tremec TKO 5-speed.
[Linked Image from static2.hotcarsimages.com]

One day when I was 18 two of these passed me on Telegraph rd doing at least 140, one on each side, the noise was deafening and they shook my car like it was a rag doll.

Ever since then the Superbird has been a dream.
Originally Posted by Teal

GF wants a 67 Mustang in red.

I guess the 66 is my dream car.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Built this one pretty much from scratch after purchasing the raw carbon fiber body from a guy in Texas...

[img]https://imageshack.com/i/pnRFRkm0j[/img]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Probably will be selling it this year and looking for a 67 Nova SS that I can restomod

I don't have the slightest idea why I can't post pics on this site....

Bob
Yep

Originally Posted by slumlord

Yep, that needs to be in a bucket...
I'd like to build a kit car - just to say I did it. I always wanted to build a replica of a Ferrari 250 GT California (Ferris Bueller Car).

but at my age there really is no car or truck I want in particular. I like sports cars but they are uncomfortable and there are no twisty roads or wide open spaces where I would really drive it like a sports car - so I might as well drive an Accord. Same logic with a truck I guess. I'll never tow more than a mower trailer or a jon boat.

I just see cars as 100% utilitarian now.
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS LS6 454 red with black stripes

[Linked Image from heacockclassic.com]
Where is Northern Dave when you need him?
Always wanted one of these.

Originally Posted by 12344mag

One day when I was 18 two of these passed me on Telegraph rd doing at least 140, one on each side, the noise was deafening and they shook my car like it was a rag doll.

A kid in my class, about 5 after we graduated had 2 of those super birds, but they had the 440 in them not the Hemi!
The wife and I ordered a brand new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 just for cruising.Wish I could figure out how to post pics.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

A HS buddy had the 69 Version. Blue with the black stripes.

I had the 1972 version. Green with the black stripes

My uncle had a 1969 Super Bee when I was a kid.
It would bury the 160 mph speedometer.
What's with all the old guys in convertibles these days anyways?

I see those old clunks everywhere this summer reliving the 70s. <eye roll> smile
One of these three. I don't really care which one:

Originally Posted by SuperCub

I see those old clunks everywhere this summer reliving the 70s. <eye roll> smile

The only convertible I ever owned was one of the old Chevy Blazer’s that you could remove the whole top from.

You couldn’t give me another fuggin convertible.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The only convertible I ever owned was one of the old Chevy Blazer’s that you could remove the whole top from.

You couldn’t give me another fuggin convertible.

Yup .... Back in the day I owned a CJ-7. That's as far as I'd ever go with a convertible.
Us old guys are just enjoying retirement and memories. I still enjoy speed and looks in cars and women. Cut us some slack. Tits and slicks dude. Edk
[Linked Image from ]
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Pulled the trigger on this one last week, at Shell Valley in Nebraska. It will be delivered next week. Always wanted a Cobra replica car, but always too many other things in the way, it seems. Anyway- after a year or more of dealing with this Covid mess, the loss of family members and friends, death of two next-door neighbors, my wife going thru 2 surgeries for breast cancer, and all the liberal craziness, it was time. This car was being sold on consignment for a gentleman who has been diagnosed with ALS, and is divesting himself of all his vehicles.

I will have a lot of hoops to jump thru here in Colorado to get it titled and registered, but it will be worth it- this thing is an absolute kick to drive!

I'm sure lots of you out there have your own Bucket List cars, or trucks- let's see 'em.

This is my uncles dream car.
Originally Posted by RickBin
[Linked Image from ]

Hell yeah.
If'n you're going to dream - dream big .

SSC Tuatara - 334 MPH top speed ride - worlds fastest street legal car - 1350 wheel HP on low setting [gasoline] - 1750 wheel HP on E-85 .

$1.7 million minimum .

68 Camaro and a 70-72 Chevy short bed truck
Turned 60 and wanted a fun summer car, Bought this 2003 Z4 new and drove it for 17 years.
Last summer just go tired of all the shifting, car had 75K on it and decided I wanted something newer and with an automatic tranny.
Decided I wanted a 2014 or newer Vette, and started looking around, found out Vettes were called "Belly Button Cars" as everyone has one.
I wanted something different, a head turned, plus fun to drive, so I found this one. 2010 Jaguar XK Portfolio.
Just different enough, great looker, and w/ 385 hp, fun to drive.
At 77, wish I didn't have to wait so long for something like this.
I've pretty much filled my bucket list for vehicles.
47 Willys
71 F100 short bed 4x4
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Friend and classmate got the 1970 SS396 version of this for HS graduation present from his parents, same color, same stripes. He missed a downshift getting off the interstate and blew the motor, said all he could salvage was one of the valve covers. Had it wound up pretty tight.
This was my bucket list in 1977. A 72 Chevy 4x4 and a hot chick....married the hot chick, totaled my Chevy

Double posted
Yall can have and enjoy your small pee-pee ED compensation euro sports coupe mid life crisis fàg wagons 😃

This right here son.....👍👍👍👍

[Linked Image from ]

This!
[Linked Image from ]

Always liked the Mustang fastback's , 289 would schit&git'it
[Linked Image from ]

Sure you would post that. I was all set to but one in 70, and the dude who owned it wrecked it on the day I was to pick it up.
That’s nice! 302 or 427?

427 small-block stroker, crankshaft dyno HP 485, 505 lb. torque, Tremec TKO 5-speed.

Nice car and that's a great motor. I have one in my Mach 1. My car scoots, your's should be a rocket.

Mine runs an Edelbrock Pro-Flow 4 that was a big improvement all the way around over the original carb/manifold combo.

One of these.

[Linked Image from schmitt.com]
Though not a rocket I enjoy driving the green one about as much as the white or grey ones. Turns out lots of folks grew up with a family Dart apparently.

Pre 68 XKE Jag roadster

Austin Healy 3000 w/roll up windows.

Gen 1 & 2 Vettes. High marks for a well done resto mod, something that could be used hard instead of looked at.

1937-38 Chevy coupe.

How bout a gasser of some sort. The style, & done right, would matter to me more than the year or model.

Lexus LC, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, a wide reach. But I like "neat stuff" across the board.
Right now my current "dream/bucket list car" is a 2021 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack with a 392 cu. in. 485 hp V-8 and an 8 speed auto or steering wheel paddle shift tranny with lots of other bells and whistles on the 4 wheels. 3 configurable independent/you choose the combos mix and match driving modes with auto adjustable suspension for each. Great sound system by Alpine.

I have no idea at this moment what my next "dream car" might be, but I'm betting that I'll think of something in a year or so.

I'm well into my "newer technology" mode in life. I outgrew the "older" mode in cars about 15 years back.

Bighorn, apologies for dreaming about my wants, but you ask.

Congrats, big time, on your acquisition. The Cobra is effing beautiful. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

Please don't let the rev limiter rest!!
We still have the 67 Mustang i bought new in may of 67.

It'd be nice to have Northern Dave restore it.
Great pics all.

But no street rods ?? confused
Yall can have and enjoy your small pee-pee ED compensation euro sports coupe mid life crisis fàg wagons 😃

Dammit Slum, this would suit me to a T on my place & the fact all my trails & shooting range are closed off from falling Ash Bore kilt trees.

But we was just fantasizing for a bit.

Anything 68-72. Don’t really care what the top and bottom trim colors are either.

Except orange. Not orange.

Always drooled over them!
Full on white trash special laugh

Originally Posted by gunzo
Pre 68 XKE Jag roadster

Austin Healy 3000 w/roll up windows.

Gen 1 & 2 Vettes. High marks for a well done resto mod, something that could be used hard instead of looked at.

1937-38 Chevy coupe.

How bout a gasser of some sort. The style, & done right, would matter to me more than the year or model.

Lexus LC, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, a wide reach. But I like "neat stuff" across the board.

I have a 1937 Pontiac 5 window coupe that I want to build into a gasser someday when I finish my other neglected projects.
Originally Posted by EdM
Though not a rocket I enjoy driving the green one about as much as the white or grey ones. Turns out lots of folks grew up with a family Dart apparently.

My first car was a 73 Dart. That lime green color.
Originally Posted by philgood80

Anything 68-72. Don’t really care what the top and bottom trim colors are either.

I had a 72 short bed K10 blue/white with identical trim to the one above and always regretted selling it. I currently have this 72 and it will be my last 'toy'. Not sure I'll keep the cowl hood - I prefer the stock look. Oh - I recently sold my 71 Blazer (orange grin).

[Linked Image from imgur.com]
The cars in this thread are obviously more than just transportation. I wonder what all they are. I've been a "car guy" myself and had a few project cars but my means were modest and there's not much worth noting here other than to say the passion towards machines is not foreign to me and that I've indulged it in various stages of my life. Presently, while I can admire and appreciate a lot of machines, I'm unable to muster the least bit of covetousness for a car, truck or motorcycle. What does the kind of car in this thread do for a person who owns it?

Does it establish or reinforce something about your identity?
Does it display something about your social status?
Does it display your wealth?
Is it a thrill and amusement to drive?
Is a it a project that keeps your mind occupied solving problems and engineering solutions?

No one displayed a race car. I will do that:

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

This is a Formula 3 car which can be raced for a season with a budget under a million dollars, maybe even just a quarter million depending on various factors. Obviously, doing something with a car is going to cost a lot more than just owning it. You could probably buy just the car in the picture for less than any one of many of the cars in this thread, but what use is it? Doing something with a car is more meaningful than just possessing it. I learned that the expensive way when I transitioned from owning track bikes to racing one. Trying to do something would have been much more affordable if I had begun with a motorcycle that cost me a small fraction of my total budget instead of a large portion of it like 15 or 20 percent. Instead of racing a motorcycle, I could have used the same money to buy a Porsche, but I remember talking to a guy at the track who was racing Porsches. He was spending my annual budget if one of this drivers just hit the curbing.

With racing, and I'm talking about racing to win championships not just turn laps on a glorified track day, I had clear goals and could persue them with strategies. Just acquiring something like Jay Leno buys stuff, I'm not sure it does anything I care for. I do sometimes enjoy a tinkering project, but if I wanted a thrill, I think it would have to be something other than a car -- keeping it strictly vehicular, maybe an airplane or a sail boat. When I was younger, I might have wanted to display wealth to gratify my ego or impress a woman (until I realized I had no use for that kind of woman). Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in sharing wealth than showing it off. I prefer things where I can put someone else in the driver's seat. As for social status, cars are useless. Maybe you're thinking that even being aware of your social status is vain and absurd, but you can't tell me that other people don't buy stuff like the vehicles in this thread as "status symbols." The thing is, if your status can be conveyed by a mere purchase, no matter the price, it isn't very high. I mean, even Bieber can buy lambos. So what does it say about your identity if you buy a D8 or a Pete 379 instead? That you're a redneck?
69 Mach 1. Although I’d like to have my 70 Nova SS back.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My uncle had a 1969 Super Bee when I was a kid.
It would bury the 160 mph speedometer.

I can still remember it like it was yesterday and this happened in 1982! When those two cars passed me it was pure violence and Horsepower, straight out of Detroit!
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
The cars in this thread are obviously more than just transportation. I wonder what all they are. I've been a "car guy" myself and had a few project cars but my means were modest and there's not much worth noting here other than to say the passion towards machines is not foreign to me and that I've indulged it in various stages of my life. Presently, while I can admire and appreciate a lot of machines, I'm unable to muster the least bit of covetousness for a car, truck or motorcycle. What does the kind of car in this thread do for a person who owns it?

Does it establish or reinforce something about your identity?
Does it display something about your social status?
Does it display your wealth?
Is it a thrill and amusement to drive?
Is a it a project that keeps your mind occupied solving problems and engineering solutions?

No one displayed a race car. I will do that:

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

This is a Formula 3 car which can be raced for a season with a budget under a million dollars, maybe even just a quarter million depending on various factors. Obviously, doing something with a car is going to cost a lot more than just owning it. You could probably buy just the car in the picture for less than any one of many of the cars in this thread, but what use is it? Doing something with a car is more meaningful than just possessing it. I learned that the expensive way when I transitioned from owning track bikes to racing one. Trying to do something would have been much more affordable if I had begun with a motorcycle that cost me a small fraction of my total budget instead of a large portion of it like 15 or 20 percent. Instead of racing a motorcycle, I could have used the same money to buy a Porsche, but I remember talking to a guy at the track who was racing Porsches. He was spending my annual budget if one of this drivers just hit the curbing.

With racing, and I'm talking about racing to win championships not just turn laps on a glorified track day, I had clear goals and could persue them with strategies. Just acquiring something like Jay Leno buys stuff, I'm not sure it does anything I care for. I do sometimes enjoy a tinkering project, but if I wanted a thrill, I think it would have to be something other than a car -- keeping it strictly vehicular, maybe an airplane or a sail boat. When I was younger, I might have wanted to display wealth to gratify my ego or impress a woman (until I realized I had no use for that kind of woman). Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in sharing wealth than showing it off. I prefer things where I can put someone else in the driver's seat. As for social status, cars are useless. Maybe you're thinking that even being aware of your social status is vain and absurd, but you can't tell me that other people don't buy stuff like the vehicles in this thread as "status symbols." The thing is, if your status can be conveyed by a mere purchase, no matter the price, it isn't very high. I mean, even Bieber can buy lambos. So what does it say about your identity if you buy a D8 or a Pete 379 instead? That you're a redneck?

Why are you so critical about how or why others choose to spend or might want to spend their own money on cars?

I like fast street/highway cars for driving because for me they are fun to drive, but I've never fantasized about being a Formula 3 racer. To each their own.
A nicely restored FJ40 or FJ43 would be all I'd want.

[Linked Image from car-from-uk.com]

[Linked Image from assets.fj.co]

Or the best of all worlds (old school looks and modern tech), an Icon LC FJ44.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by philgood80

I had a 72 short bed K10 blue/white with identical trim to the one above and always regretted selling it. I currently have this 72 and it will be my last 'toy'. Not sure I'll keep the cowl hood - I prefer the stock look. Oh - I recently sold my 71 Blazer (orange grin).

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Very nice! I had an 8th grade science teacher that had an old 3-door Suburban in orange. Loved the Burban but hated the color.

I could also like a Nomad!! Like Tim Allen had on Home Improvement.

in 1981 my best friend bought one of these sum bitches , it was that blue with the white interior, 440 6pack with the pistol grip 4 speed transmition. one day we decided to go to bentonville ar. he had worked all night and wanted me to drive. we were just south of kansas city mo on 71 hwy and i had that thing laid out going south at about 140mph and met a mo hyw patrol and he was headed north. I let off the gas and brought her down to about 70 mph and sure enough here comes that patrolman ! lights on and balls out! I pulled over woke up my buddy, told him what was happening. that cop came to the drivers window and wanted to see in the trunk. he never ask for a license or anything . when we opened the trunk he told us that he had a car just like this one and was looking for a certain mark ( scratch ) in there. he said that while he was in the service his mother made his dad sell the car and he was just wanting to see if this one was his old car. he never said a word to us about how fast we were going. just told us to take care of that car ! i was sure I was going to catch hell ! those were the days !

when I was 18 I had a 72 ss big block it was the yellow with the black stripes and cowel inducted hood. selling that car is a regret I will carry to the grave ! at 23yrs old I bought a 81 Z28 with a 350 4 speed . and my dad refused to let me leave the chevelle in the barn on the farm. I had no place to keep it inside , so after 2 yrs of trying to juggle 2 cars and my first house, I decided to sell the chevelle and keep the z28. boy was that a dipchit decision !!! still know where it is , but they wont even talk about selling it !
1965 Mini Cooper S
A lot of great cars shown here and a few I'm surprised aren't shown (yet)...

I've been a car guy since before I was old enough to own one and owned a number of great cars over the years that were very fast, or very sporty, or both at one time or another. However, I found out that good looks don't always mean a great car...
I've always thought the early C1 and C2 Corvettes were some of the best looking cars ever made and I still have that opinion. However, after driving a few and being in more than few that were driven hard I would never own one in original configuration. For an old guy on a Sunday drive they are probably great and that is where an awful lot of them seem to be ending up due to their increased value these days. But the fact is they aren't a car you can drive hard and enjoy- they just handle like crap and feel about the same in the seating and driver ergonomics. Purists would hate me as I would love to get a 67 Vette and Restomod the hell out of it with a custom chassis, great handling components at all four corners along with huge brakes, a modern LS engine , and an interior that would do justice to a true sports car... then you would have a Corvette as it was supposed to be built IMO....

I built a Cobra because I always wanted one and couldn't afford an original and wasn't impressed with many of the kit cars available. The project was the biggest reason I built it and I enjoyed every minute of it even though it took way too long to complete with work, family, other obligations that got in the way. Learned a lot along the way and one of them is- if you're going to own a high performance car like some of these in this thread do yourself a favor and learn how to drive it before going crazy with it. We've all seen the results of drivers at the intersection of more car than they can handle and lack of driving skills or unexpected behavior. Cobras are the epitomy of this with typically 400-500 hp at the rear wheels, a 90" wheelbase, and a 2,000-2,400 lb car with a small cockpit and limited space to maneuver... as in any car that is on the edge of control like some of us like to think we are good enough to drive- they can get away from you with just a moment's inattention... been there , done that.... as I bet many of you have.

And don't let the wet blankets keep you from enjoying your dream. I don't feel I have to justify to anyone why I own a hot rod as long as I enjoy it. Once I stop enjoying it the "thing" will go down the road and I'll find something new to enjoy... if I wasn't getting so darned old I would look into building an airplane from a kit or some other crazy thing like that... smile

Bob
Toyota Landcruiser Pickup.....crew cab......would do me just fine as I have no need for sporty cars here.
58 chev impala blue and white rag top,, or 56 lincon 2 door.

norm
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Why are you so critical about how or why others choose to spend or might want to spend their own money on cars?

I like fast street/highway cars for driving because for me they are fun to drive, but I've never fantasized about being a Formula 3 racer. To each their own.

Not critically condescending, but maybe critically thinking. I had "fast street/highway" vehicles and I thought critically about that. I mean, I used critical thinking. Again, the point of that criticality isn't to condescend what you think is fun, but to ask myself, "what's the point?" "Is there something to this other than a simple amusement?" If you've ever had a really fast vehicle, you've probably been confronted with the dearth of skill to use it anywhere near its potential. It's a kind of absurdity. I never fantasized about just possessing a race car, but I long ago decided I would rather have the skill to drive what I have than a more impressive vehicle without the skill to use it to any meaningfully different effect.

There's nothing remarkable about Formula 3. I suppose I could have posted a Formula 1 car but my point wasn't about some ultimate race car. I could have just as easily posted a kart, a Formula 500, or even a Sprint Car. To me, the racing ethos is more meaningful than mere baubles that middle-aged, middle-class men lust after in a pursuit to make their dull life more "fun." The problem with it, that is the racing ethos, is that it tends to be all-consuming.

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Michael Delany (Steve McQueen), Le Mans

If you ever spent more than a little money on cars, you'll be thinking pretty critically about it too. Thinking about why you do that and whether it makes any kind of sense is not something that's easy to get out of such a one's mind.

Originally Posted by jar

in 1981 my best friend bought one of these sum bitches , it was that blue with the white interior, 440 6pack with the pistol grip 4 speed transmition. one day we decided to go to bentonville ar. he had worked all night and wanted me to drive. we were just south of kansas city mo on 71 hwy and i had that thing laid out going south at about 140mph and met a mo hyw patrol and he was headed north. I let off the gas and brought her down to about 70 mph and sure enough here comes that patrolman ! lights on and balls out! I pulled over woke up my buddy, told him what was happening. that cop came to the drivers window and wanted to see in the trunk. he never ask for a license or anything . when we opened the trunk he told us that he had a car just like this one and was looking for a certain mark ( scratch ) in there. he said that while he was in the service his mother made his dad sell the car and he was just wanting to see if this one was his old car. he never said a word to us about how fast we were going. just told us to take care of that car ! i was sure I was going to catch hell ! those were the days !

Former coworker and friend (now deceased) was a Mopar collector, but primarily Superbirds and Daytonas and usually kept several in different colors and configurations on hand for years. At one time he owned easily over a dozen in various colors and configurations, including some with hemi engines. His dad had owned a Mopar dealership back in the day so he grew up loving muscle cars and especially the Plymouth / Dodge "wing" cars He used to get ribbed pretty hard about being such a "wing-car" nut . He told me though they can laugh now but those "fuggly wing-cars" were his retirement fund. He showed me a letter he got from the owner of major Mopar dealership located in Michigan once wanting to buy everything Mopar / Mopar related he had and to "name his price".

Well i cant post pics so i'll list em.

Viper triple black convertible
600 series MB V-12 triple black convertible
'70 hemi Cuda black
'69 Roadrunner plum crazy purple
'52 Dodge B3PW power wagon green and black
'07 CVO Harley SE springer softail

All fun, but mostly sit around sucking on battery tenders ; ]
Originally Posted by gunner500

'70 hemi Cuda black

Very Nice collection.

Tastin' them sour grapes there, SC? laugh
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
[Linked Image from ]

Hell yeah.
'63 Split-window... (drool)..

But - this is more to what I'd love to have: https://www.boyceequipment.com/m35a3-bobbed-deuce
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by EdM

my BIL's driveway. People must have some kind of connection with those cars

Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
[quote=EdM]Though not a rocket I enjoy driving the green one about as much as the white or grey ones. Turns out lots of folks grew up with a family Dart apparently.

my BIL'd driveway. People must have some kind of connection with those cars

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quotemy fist new car what a 69 Dart Swinger with a 340 in Medium Green just like the Green pictured only his is a 70 or newer.
That’s nice! 302 or 427?

Uff-duh. You'll shoot yer eye out!
Originally Posted by Rooster7
One of these three. I don't really care which one:

Well the top one will start when you want it too.
Originally Posted by AZmark
I've pretty much filled my bucket list for vehicles.
47 Willys
71 F100 short bed 4x4
Jeep Wrangler TJ

That truck is bad ass.
Originally Posted by hanco

makes my nipples hard............

More expensive than any other car shown, except that Euro rig...and you can make money with it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

You should give him a call.

I have mine already.
Originally Posted by tzone

You should give him a call.

Probably has a straight six and 3 speed..... hardly worth the effort
2022 Cadillac CT5 V Blackwing
Originally Posted by badger

I have mine already.

I do like the 6 series
watching Hoovies Garage yesterday. The new Broncos had a problem with the roof so Ford is holding back on many, many pre-ordered Broncos instead of delivering them and doing a dealer fix afterwards.

He said that if you ordered one and you have a VIN number, you'll get it this year. No Vin assigned from Ford and you'll wait until sometime in 2022
Always wanted a CJ6, since I was a young lad and watched Hatari! I have had CJ2a (2), CJ5 (2), CJ7 ...now I have my 6!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] When I brought it home.

Current
Body is getting started next couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Not critically condescending, but maybe critically thinking. I had "fast street/highway" vehicles and I thought critically about that. I mean, I used critical thinking. Again, the point of that criticality isn't to condescend what you think is fun, but to ask myself, "what's the point?" "Is there something to this other than a simple amusement?" If you've ever had a really fast vehicle, you've probably been confronted with the dearth of skill to use it anywhere near its potential. It's a kind of absurdity. I never fantasized about just possessing a race car, but I long ago decided I would rather have the skill to drive what I have than a more impressive vehicle without the skill to use it to any meaningfully different effect.

There's nothing remarkable about Formula 3. I suppose I could have posted a Formula 1 car but my point wasn't about some ultimate race car. I could have just as easily posted a kart, a Formula 500, or even a Sprint Car. To me, the racing ethos is more meaningful than mere baubles that middle-aged, middle-class men lust after in a pursuit to make their dull life more "fun." The problem with it, that is the racing ethos, is that it tends to be all-consuming.

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." - Michael Delany (Steve McQueen), Le Mans

If you ever spent more than a little money on cars, you'll be thinking pretty critically about it too. Thinking about why you do that and whether it makes any kind of sense is not something that's easy to get out of such a one's mind.

LOL..!! You try to paint life in broad strokes with an itty-bitty brush.

Who beside you with your "insight" has determined that I don't learn how to drive the cars I've owned? I bet you're a real charmer in a social setting.

btw - Every time I buy a new car with some gusto attached, I attend a professionally owned behind the wheel 3-day closed course professional driving training class where I learn the strengths and weaknesses of the vehicle I bought by driving it while having the expertise of a professional driver in the passenger seat. It's a fun-filled long weekend that I look forward to. And it goes far beyond just reading the owners manual while watching a baseball game on TV.

It definitely doesn't give me the freedom to do dumb things on a public road in any manner, such as racing, but I do learn and know about the vehicle that I'm driving. And my wife feels fully comfortable with what I do while she's in the passenger seat. In addition, it only adds to my life behind the steering wheel. The rest of my life is far fuller with family and friends where I have no need to "lust after (anything) in a pursuit to make their (my) dull life more "fun".

Sheesh.......... laugh
Missed out on a great, rust free, low miles CJ Scrambler back in 95. Was 3k. Salesman got it before me.
I know, I know.....the performance sucks, the ride sucks and they're just not that comfortable, but I've always wanted one with the factory luggage trailer.

[Linked Image from thumbs4.imagebam.com]

[Linked Image from thumbs4.imagebam.com]
Originally Posted by logger
1965 Mini Cooper S

Anybody here do autocross ? A friend has a newer model with a monster motor that just flat out scared the chit out of me the few times I've ridden in it.
Like to find a mid to late 80,s toyota 4wd with a R22.
In good condition and low miles.

Not to many 1st or 2nd owner old cats kicking the bucket with em.
And even then relatives get em.

I can always dream...
Originally Posted by renegade50

I can always dream...

Had an 88 as such. Manual. Great little truck. Got totaled out. I was stopped at a light, guy slammed into me at 60mph. I never saw him coming.

I can always dream...

Drop a 5.3 and a Tremec 5 speed in your Colorado, bro.
70 factory SS Big Block Chevelle

Or a 1970 440 Road Runner with 6 pack
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I can always dream...

Drop a 5.3 and a Tremec 5 speed in your Colorado, bro.

The little 3.5 5 cyl is doing all right.
1st chevy I ever have had.
Happy with it.
Goes places other 4wd,s cant.

But would rather have my 04 6cyl 4wd Ranger if I had a choice in the matter.

Oh well...

Schit happens....
No 7....and they just keep getting better....started with a 64....no desire to go back...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Me too
Bucket list tricks are easy for me...I've owned at least one all my life.

It's the bucket list things they tow that I'm short of.

that says it all.......

you've never been divorced..........

I'm easy........mid 90's Land Cruisers are up my alley

but currently stuck with a newer '03 LX....... cry

[Linked Image from static.cargurus.com]

tikkanut, that trailer is cool as schit...!
Originally Posted by antlers

Boulder Mountain this weekend....

may need the Propex heat at 10K'

Awesome. Hope the weather’s great for y’all. What’s Hwy 12 like between Torrey and where it runs into 89...?
A totally gratuitous photo of my 2021 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack that I should have thought through critically before just buying it for no good reason. According to my alter ego Western_Juniper. laugh

The yellow strip on the front spoiler is a removable spoiler protector from the dealer. It now be gone.

I'd love to have this to take to car shows and cruise nights.

+1

I used to think I would like a Chevrolet Apache Pickup from the late 50's. The older I get I think I would prefer a Power Wagon. From the look of it, it seems there are quite a few of us here that would like one.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

and the DEET!
[Linked Image from tfltruckprod.wpengine.com]

My dream car. '73 Super Duty

The Trans Am is pretty cool. I talked my dad into buying a second hand White 74 TA 400 shaker with blue bird, about the same car, with Honeycomb wheels. Drove like it was on rails compared to my 64 Lemans, 326HO , lol

A friend's son still owns it, last I spoke to him.

Allen
1963 Avanti Rod:

Avanti Eats Hellcats

1968 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3:

1994 Mercedes E500:

1958 Studebaker Transtar w/ NAPCO 4WD:

1978 Ford F250, 521 Stroker:

...because, as my daughter once said when she was young:

I wouldn't turn down a Singer 964 either, but as you can plainly see, I don't care too much for modern vehicles.
Originally Posted by Theeck

Me too

I love these conversions but at 225k im not a player. Lol
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

I love these conversions but at 225k im not a player. Lol

I only had one real fast car. Ordered a '70 Hemi Cuda with 2.73 rear end. Was fun to drive. Any 440 would beat me for about one block. After that, not so much. The gear selection was because I would travel a lot back and forth to school.
It really was a POS car. Rattled off the lot when I picked it up. Long doors and that Hemi idle made it rattle.

Now, I'm satisfied with my two Land Cruisers. Can't just have one.

Also tinkering with a 2013 single cab 2WD with an 8' bed F150HD with a Coyote. Hauls sheets goods well. The boys at Home Depot love it.
Gee as always I am a cheap date....

1. a 1952 Chevy 3.4 ton 5 window pickup like my Grandfather had

2. Either a 1968 VW Squareback or a 1968 Volvo 145 Wagon, like the one's I drove ( everywhere) when I was in college...

3. If I really get to think outside of the box... a Grey 1970 Chevelle SS 396, 4 speed manual, buck seats. AND a Blue or Grey 69 Z/28 Camero, 4 Speed.

4. Back on topic.... 68 Green VW Bug.

I can always dream...

Gee could round you up one of those out here without much trouble. before they got snapped up and taken down to Guatemala or Friggin Mexico.

you see convoys of them driving south on I 5, all the time.... by a bunch of brown people that No habla....

it must be a Virginia thing....

In High School ( Springfield VA), there was this punk spoiled kid, whose dad was some big time DC Attorney.

His dad bought him a brand new 70 Blue SS 396, buckets, 4 speed in Sept 69. 6 months later he wants a Corvette with the 454 Instead..

His dad said NO, so he went out and totaled the Chevelle on purpose.... so dad bought him the Corvette to replace it...

a month of so later, after Gym it was just he and I in the locker room... I said something along the lines of he was a jackass for totaling that Chevelle..
he told me to GF Myself.... that was it.... I just started beating his ass to a pulp.... not over the GFY, over the punk totaling the car I'd have loved to own.

one of the coaches, a Retired Marine Drill Sgt, broke it up.... since I was the one kicking ass, I was drug into his office, and he asked me what started that.
Coach liked me, because he and my dad had been young Marines in Korea in 1950....I told coach, that I walked out of the shower and the punk had asked me if he could blow me... no one liked the ahole punk anyway.... Coach told me good job on kicking his ass.

I didn't get a 70 Chevelle, but I got revenge for the wonderful one the rich punk had totaled.... was also applauded by the other coaches, and most of the guys in 6th period Gym over it....at the time It made me feel better anyway....( still does)
A 427 Cobra has always called to me but a couple odd ones that I like are
'67 AMX
'65 Ford Ranchero 289
Pantera
Triumph TR3
Originally Posted by Gibby
I only had one real fast car. Ordered a '70 Hemi Cuda with 2.73 rear end. Was fun to drive. Any 440 would beat me for about one block. After that, not so much. The gear selection was because I would travel a lot back and forth to school.

Must have been an automatic car. A 4 speed would have mandated a Dana 60 and 3:54 or 4:10 gears

Sounds like a Hemi Cuda from Sacramento, about 20 years ago I saw his car for sale at a show, had almost 200k on it. Daily commute car at one time.
I’ve always been a sucker for Panteras.
I remember seeing quite a few for pretty short money back in the early 90’s. They’ve certainly gone up in price since.

Love old corvettes. Especially late C1 cars, 61 and 62.

The 300slr gull wing has been a favorite since I was a kid.

Ariel Atom. A grown up go kart.
I bought this about 10 years ago. '68 Chevelle SS. It was already "restored" by someone else. I had to sink as much money into it than the car cost me in the first place but I knew what I was getting into. I probably have more money in it than it's worth, but I'll never sell it so it doesn't matter. Now everything works and it has a lot of new parts on it. I drove it to work today.

I always thought I should have a Unimog...but they run right at 230,000 bucks now.

I love the old VW van. This is the 1971 model. I used to have one of these and had some pretty good adventures in it. I would love to get another one, but the prices have gone through the roof in the past 5 years. If you can find one all original in good shape it would cost $50 grand. You will see ads for a rusted out junk heaps with no engine, sitting out in a corn field in Kansas, going for $6 grand. Unreal.
i grew up with the classic muscle cars all rusting away in front of my eyes. fast, junky old rattle traps with a lot of style but most were really not good cars. my 71 camaro was nice to look at but had a lot of problems. if i had to pick a bucket list car now it would be a late model camaro ZL1. but alas, ZL1 tastes on a subaru budget.
OP

I can always dream...

I had an 86. It had the 22RE. It was still gutless, but decent for putting around the hills.
To go along with my other old car bucket list posts.

This was my first old truck I bought it for $500, it had a 4 speed with a 283 v8. One of the vehicles I wish I had kept.
Pictures were taken 1975/1976.

This ones my dog Heidi

This pic is with my pop.
I would love to have a Mercedes McClaren or a BMW Z8.. great cars, very fast, and handle like on rails.... but way out of my pay range...

There is a blue one in a barn here in my little home town of 150 people. Guy has had it for years and years. It’s nice too
Havnt seen him out driving it since the mid 90s
He has a hemi car also no one has seen
There are gems setting in small towns all over the country
For me
67 GTO
68 international pickup 4x4
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Originally Posted by Gibby

Must have been an automatic car. A 4 speed would have mandated a Dana 60 and 3:54 or 4:10 gears

Sounds like a Hemi Cuda from Sacramento, about 20 years ago I saw his car for sale at a show, had almost 200k on it. Daily commute car at one time.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by gunner500

'70 hemi Cuda black

Very Nice collection.

Thanks OEH. smile
It was an automatic. In fact, three weeks after I ordered it the salesman called me and said they won't put a .273 rear end in it. I told him it was on the order sheet so make it or cancel the order. They made it. It took longer.

I forget the model of transmission, but it was designed for the Hemi. Higher stall speed and tough. At stall it multiplied the torque as explained to me. The four speed available was bullet proof but slow to shift compared to the M22 rock crusher of GM's. Drove a 440 with one. I didn't like it. Many good engines were tore up with that transmission. People trying to speed shift and missing the gear.
Originally Posted by Sycamore

FC Jeeps are wicked cool!

67 GTO is high on my list

67-68 K10 Fleetside shorty or 72 K5 Blazer would be nice as well for a little run about on the weekends.
I have never seen one of those Jeep’s per up above. Kinda cool in an ugly way. Edk
I always liked the 1987 Buick Grand National GNX. These were modified by McLaren for Buick and were wicked fast.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

FC Jeeps are wicked cool!

67 GTO is high on my list

67-68 K10 Fleetside shorty or 72 K5 Blazer would be nice as well for a little run about on the weekends.

I have a Jeep FC150, it was green, white and full of rust in 1977 so I built this in highschool shop class. Has the factory heavy duty Dana 44 running gear, 4 speed and 5.38 gears.
This was the last one I restored. Sold sometime back, but kicking myself for it. An English photographer photographed it and was a Book he put together titled "Post War American Muscle Cars". Miss Direct Connection autographed one of the pages for me. grin She was a looker. whistle I was always a huge Mopar fan. Never owned a Dart Swinger, but several Dodge Charger RT's, my favorite being a 68 Charger RT I bought new. My all time favorite was between 2. A 70 Cuda AAR and a 71 Torino with the 429 SCJ motor.

Originally Posted by tikkanut

and the DEET!

no deet.........

ear muffs......sum bittchen elk screaming all night long !!

we were at 10105' elevation

35* this morning
© 24hourcampfire