Home
Posted By: stxhunter Pray for me - 10/13/21
It's hard dealing with my dad.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Done
Posted By: hanco Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You got it. My mom died when I was 16, saw my real father once. I didn’t have to deal with aging parents. I saw my wife do it, was hard on her.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
It's been tough today.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
No words Roger. Prayers sent.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Of course Roger, and for your father as well.
Had my brother stay here with him this morning because it was one of the few days that everyone had to be gone for a while. think my brother got a little dose of what we go through every day, dad was asking if John had died, told him no he was here with you this morning.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayer sent for a better day tomorrow.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayed for him, you and your whole family.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Done.

🦫
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Done
Posted By: RNF Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers sent hope things get better soon.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You got it Roger. Reckon he had hell with you too.

After he's gone you'll think back and wonder why you didnt do more.

Its life.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Your doing the right thing man.
It is hard dealing with the elderly and infirm.
And games they play if that is happening.

Many of us have BTDT on here.
So alot of us know what you are probably going thru.

Don't lose your composure with him.
He probably wont remember.
But you will.
And ya cant change what might be said.
Sometimes the best approach with the elderly is appeasement to let them " win".
It's hard going that route but it advoids ugly build up of resentment and words that cant be taken back.

Just try to do your best and bite your tongue if matters are happening like that.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Praying for you all, Hang in there.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
It's been tough today.

Sorry to hear this.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Went to go visit my grandmother in the old folks home.

She told me I had the wrong grandma, keep going.

Shew man that was rough
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Some good advice shared on here.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Sorry, Roger. Prayer up for you. And your dad.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Sorry for your loss! Only time will help, take each day as it comes.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Taking care of your loved ones is a tough deal. Good luck and hang in there.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You are keeping the World turning in the right direction, Roger. God bless you and your family.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
I'm sorry for what you're dealing with Roger. That's got to be really tough. My dad is 81 and still sharp, but he's awaiting results on a biopsy on his prostate. Based on his numbers, I'm scared chitless.

I hope you can hang in there for him. Lots of people just ship their aged ones off for someone else to care for. He may be losing his faculties, but he probably has moments where he's aware and it's a blessing for him.to be with family.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers my friend. Wife and I have been thru similar three times. As was said, we just let them win and respond in the affirm if at all possible. Enjoy those moments of lucidity and know that UTI’s accelerate extreme confusion. God Bless all of you.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers sent Rog, you are a good man.
Originally Posted by renegade50

But you will.
It's hard going that route but it advoids ugly build up of resentment and words that cant be taken back.

Just try to do your best and bite your tongue if matters are happening like that.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.
Thank you.
Posted By: Deans Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers sent for you and your Dad.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Hope you gain strength to deal with his problems.

It will and can be trying.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers for you and your dad.

Plus one to what Renegade50 said.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Send prayers for you and your family, from us in N.C. We’ve been through this with my Grandma, so I know it’s tough. Real tough. I’m sorry that you all are going through this.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Done

I had my mom pass unexpectedly in 2008 so was saved watching her deteriorate, my dad made 96 almost 97 and passed last year, he was alright to the end, so again was blessed, but my in laws, one with cancer and one with dementia, that was really tough.

so hang in there, in the end you will be glad you did your best.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You and your family got 'em Roger.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Sorry to hear about the hard times. Praying for you and your family, STX.
Posted By: skfullen Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Been there. Your family is in my prayers.
thanks, my dad and I are a lot alike. I'm Franck with him and don't bull chit him, but today he didn't understand. he fell the night before last, bruised his ribs, and got a bump on his head, thinking I might put him in the hospital to get checked, chit took his 1911 away because I'm afraid he might shoot someone on accident.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Done.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Damn Rog, it's tough but I know you can handle it.

Prayers sent.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers for you Roger, sheit sucks when you can't change things like you'd like to.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
I know what you're dealing with - and facing.
It's a rough ride, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
So hard to see a very vital, and intelligent man regress almost to toddler level, but not as rational.
I loved my Dad, so put up with everything he did, and miss him greatly.
You have my prayers and moral support, Roger. Along with prayers for your father, family, and caregivers.
Don't forget to take some time for yourself - to sit and breathe deeply, if nothing else.
got him to bed earlier, drinking a couple of beers then trying to sleep for a while, sleep is something I'm coming to miss.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Done. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Hang in there brother
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
Posted By: Owl Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers offered. For both you and your father.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Went through the same with my Dad, too Roger.
It’s a damn tough job. Prayers sent !

But you will.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.

Yep. Good advice!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Best wishes to you and your dad. I know what you're having to deal with as my wife suffered from Alzheimer's dementia. It's a rough trip you're having to take. Hang in and be as patient as you can.

L.W.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
I lost my dad to Parkinson’s last year. Dementia got him there at the end.

People might say of your dad that he’s not who he was, but that’s BS. He’s just at a different point on his journey.

Choose to remember him at his best, especially now.

And the guy who said not to argue is spot on.

Prayers sent.

P
took all his pistols and put them away, he had one of the 1911s under his pillow, like nope might end up shooting me or the old lady.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I lost my dad to Parkinson’s last year. Dementia got him there at the end.

People might say of your dad that he’s not who he was, but that’s BS. He’s just at a different point on his journey.

Choose to remember him at his best, especially now.

And the guy who said not to argue is spot on.

Prayers sent.

P

Amen.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Dimentia/Alzheimer’s is a far worse disease than even it’s horrible reputation. You can’t conceive how miserable it can be unless it is experienced first hand. I sure hope that a cure is found some day. Just thinking out loud......I wonder if hyperbarics can help with this crap. Hyperbarics helps the brain heal. I just wonder if hyperbarics were introduced at the right time, could it result in better cognitive function?

Again.... Prayers from us in N.C.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers in the works...
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21

But you will.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.

Damn good advice right there.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You and your family are in my prayers. I can relate to the difficulties that you face literally every minute of every day. We took care of my father in law with late stage Alzheimer’s and I know that it’s an extremely difficult task but it’s one that’s borne out of true love and respect Your family is lucky to have you. Despite how challenging it is you’ll be able to look back knowing that you did everything in your power to make him comfortable and safe and that through this you’ve showed those around you what family is all about. You’ll always be able to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of the man looking back at you.

God bless you Roger and may God bless and comfort your dad. Alzheimer’s and dementia take their biggest toll on the loved ones and until one has lived what you’re living now they have no idea the challenges that you face multiple times each day.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

But you will.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.

Yep. Good advice!

+1
Posted By: DMc Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers Rog
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers for y'all Roger.It's really tough dealing with a parent who's ill.Hang in there.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Take care.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers sent... I've watched several friends go through this with their parents and it made me feel so fortunate that I didn't have to deal with it with my folks. Both were very lucid and reasonably active right up to the end. Same with my in-laws...

My buddy's mother bit a couple of her caregivers at a rest home, then tried to hit another one with an old style corded phone. He was beside himself how to deal with it but he persisted until the end with only a few breaks from his brothers....

Find some way to get some time off from the responsibility or it will destroy you. Some states have departments for the aging where you might be able to get a caregiver to come in a couple times a week so you can get some time off and unwind from the pressure.... it would be worthwhile to make a few phone calls to see what is available in your state.... As a last resort there are a lot of medications available these days to help to keep him calm and cooperative, but they also have other side effects.....
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Good luck to your dad too.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
BTDT. Twice. Dad was progressively worse with his dementia. I didn't want to take away his Sig 229. Told mom he doesn't have the strength to pull back the slide. Wrong. Still, he'd get pissed if it "disappeared". So I took out the firing pin. He had the piece of mind his sidearm was where it always was for 40 years. Had to put door alarms on all the egress doors as he'd wonder off in the middle of the night. Found him eating Jello powder one night and trying to eat detergent another time. It was rough.

Mom was bedridden but had hallucinations. She'd call at all hours of the night telling me there were monkeys on her bed and should she call the cops. No, I'll be over in a bit - another 20 minute drive at 3:30am.

I'm glad I helped them the best I could, but looking back, it was a rough time and nothing I could do would change their outcome.

Rog, do the best you can and that's good enough. Some things are beyond our control. Godspeed, sir.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
took all his pistols and put them away, he had one of the 1911s under his pillow, like nope might end up shooting me or the old lady.

I feel sorry for you and your dad. Bad time you have.

Wouldn't it be better to leave him a deactivated gun? Old people are very often quite leery when they have the feeling that someone has taken something away from them. This can be money, the jewels or even a gun. I don't know if your dad would be aware of if you leave him a 1911 without the firing pin. Keeping it under his pillow shows that he would feel more save with than without his gun.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Praying for you Roger. Praying for wisdom and strength. It’s not an easy road you’re on, hang in there.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
This Feb I lost my dad to Parkinsons and it ended up with 4 months of dementia at the end. Constant keeping an eye on him as he could be up for days and crawled around like and infant and fought us changing diapers and taking care of him. He turned into an awful creature but really it wasn't him. At the time I was wondering how much of this could my mom and I take and thought I was at a wall. As exhausted as we were there was eventually an end to it and it actually came peacefully.

Looking back now I know exactly what you are going thru but every minute you spend with your parents is precious. I now fondly look back how I help feed my dad for a few years, make his meals, change diapers, and shower and clean him up. Before that I took him many places and drives and many adventures with an SxS atv I bought for him. All of these things, even the dark times are time we look back and are thankful. Be strong. It may be a difficult time but right now your needed and it's wonderful your there for your dad. Relief and grief will come but you'll never regret being as close to your dad till the end. No regrets. Great job.
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Praying you and your family find the strength to see him through this.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers for you all Rodger.

What R-50 said in spades.

We're just getting started with wife's mom. She has been slowly losing the dementia battle for the last year or so.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Caring for a family member with dementia is one of the most difficult things any of us will face in our lives. The heartbreak of watching the person you knew evaporate and replaced with a stranger on top of the constant care responsibilities is impossible to describe to anyone who has not gone through that hell.

Prayers sent. Keep the faith. Peace cannot come soon enough.
Posted By: WMR Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

I feel sorry for you and your dad. Bad time you have.

Wouldn't it be better to leave him a deactivated gun? Old people are very often quite leery when they have the feeling that someone has taken something away from them. This can be money, the jewels or even a gun. I don't know if your dad would be aware of if you leave him a 1911 without the firing pin. Keeping it under his pillow shows that he would feel more save with than without his gun.

All well and good, until the FedEx guy gets pistol whipped ;-).
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
I know your burden. Prayers sent.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers Rog.
It definitely is not easy, but grab those clear moments when you can!
And stories...just roll with them
Dad told some tall tales at times but how is that different from any sportsman?
Sit back and enjoy them as if you were your wide eyed 7 year old self...
Posted By: Raeford Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Prayers for ya Roger!

Wife and I got a look at 'things to come' over the past month. Her mom has had 2 emergency heart surgeries with 1 more to go.
We had no idea that her stepfather is in very early stage of dementia, so wife had to be there all of the time at the hospital about 150 miles away. The man would get lost going to use the restroom down the hall in hospital.
So we have her mom at 78, my parents at 86,87 and her step at 83, going to get interesting.

Wish you the best in dealing with this!
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Hang in there Roger, you’ll be rewarded in the end with peace of mind and knowing you did all you could when others couldn’t/wouldn’t. The wife has struggled with her folks for the last two years by herself as her only sibling passed several years ago. We feel your frustration and pray for you.
Posted By: JPro Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You got it...
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Caring for a family member with dementia is one of the most difficult things any of us will face in our lives. The heartbreak of watching the person you knew evaporate and replaced with a stranger on top of the constant care responsibilities is impossible to describe to anyone who has not gone through that hell.

Prayers sent. Keep the faith. Peace cannot come soon enough.

Yep.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

But you will.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.

Yep. Good advice!

+1

Roger;
Morning sir, sorry to read of this.

In my experience - which is dealing with my much loved Mother in Law for more than 6 years and my mother for roughly 5 years as dementia patients, renegade is spot on.

If you're inclined I'd be happy to share with you anything and all that we learned on that journey.

It's a recent one too for us Roger, we lost Mom in the spring of 2019 and Mom in Law last spring during the beer flu lock down where I wasn't allowed in to see her at the end - only one family member.

Anyways sir, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers for sure and again if you want to talk I'm here or on Faceplant - just give me a shout.

Dwayne
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21

But you will.

I wish you the best.
You dad also.

I usually don't have the patience to follow your posts closely, but this one is gold. Applies to so many more situations than the one in the OP. Thanks.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You got it Roger, I'm dealing with my 84 year old mothers dementia now......its trying times....
Posted By: g5m Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Understood, and done.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You got em from MN.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
When all is done you will find this to be your proudest moment. Best wishes to both of you.

mike r
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Roger,

My wife and I send you our best and pray God clears a path through this terrible time for you.

W. Bill
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
You have some good advice here. You have our prayers as well. RZ.
Posted By: rong Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
Best of luck during a difficult time.
It may be taxing on you at times,but you got this.
Posted By: persiandog Re: Pray for me - 10/13/21
buying more guns is a relaxing experience
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers sent - hang in here.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers of peace to you and your family.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Thanks, everyone for the prayers and advice, didn't work today, tried to catch up on sleep. got on his dr ass about getting the home health care back here. they stop while he was in the hospital this last time, he, the dr, was supposed to write a script for it but hasn't.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
I’ll be happy to pray for you.
Posted By: Sharecropper Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Remember the good times spent with him when you can, it helped me a lot. Prayers sent
Posted By: ingwe Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
It's been tough today.

Roger, I know you.If you say its tough....its tough.

Thoughts are with you hermano.....
Originally Posted by ingwe
It's been tough today.

Roger, I know you.If you say its tough....its tough.

Thoughts are with you hermano.....

thanks
Posted By: GeoW Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Sorry Roger. Prayers for patience and comfort.

George
Posted By: pahick Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers sent
Posted By: Brazos Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
As others have said, your Dad may or may not know what's going on, but you do and will remember.

Good on ya.

Prayer sent.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Praying.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers Roger.
Stay the course, you are doing a good thing.

This thread is why this site is special.
If anyone has been thinking of bailing due to the
drama. Or the negativity, read all these posts.

Some guys are hard as nails on the outside, bluster and
carry on most of the time. This thread reflects their real decency.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Sent.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Late seeing this, but prayers offered up for you and your Dad. miles
Posted By: slyver Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers sent
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
BTDT

It’s very hard at times. Just try to remember that you’re the “parent” now, and keep your cool. It’s okay to just walk away when it gets too bad; he won’t remember that either. We used to bring my father some special food and that became the focus for him while we were there instead of whatever else he was “up to”, like escape plans.
Posted By: poboy Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Just went through this the last month +. MIL was 97, on hospice at home out in
the boonies. All her kids were there. All she asked was not to be put in a nursing home.
Her wishes were honored. I used to catch chit when my mom thought I was my dad.
I feel for you Roger.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
It's hard dealing with my dad.

I was given some good advice when my dad was in his final decline. A good friend told me that parents will take all you have to give and then expect more. His advice was to give all you can and realize that’s all you can give. You also have a life to live. They will suck the life out of you if you allow it. Give all you can and be satisfied with yourself that you’ve done all you can. I will pray for you and your father for peace and understanding.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers on the way from Oregon Roger...

its hard I know...
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Good luck Roger... sometimes it's a blessing my parents are already gone I guess.
Ambulance just left with him, been up since 2 am with him, he's in so much pain that he would pass out when I tried to get him up so he could pee.
Posted By: pahick Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Ambulance just left with him, been up since 2 am with him, he's in so much pain that he would pass out when I tried to get him up so he could pee.

🙏🙏🙏
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21

Damn. Sorry. Don't miss those midnight ambulance trips...
Posted By: RayF Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
Prayers sent.
Posted By: Crusader Re: Pray for me - 10/14/21
You've got it, I'm praying. I can relate as five years ago this week was my dad's last on Earth. He passed that October 18th, at 87 y/o. My sisters and I did 24/7 in-house care for him for his last 6 weeks or so. It was really challenging and draining but looking back/reminiscing this week I'm glad I did it. Now I just reflect on what a great dad he was to me and for all that I'm thankful. Will see him again one day in eternity, so I have that going for me!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pray for me - 10/15/21
They did a GI scope today found two bleeds in his stomach they fixed, he called me twice in the last hour, not there mentally giving the nurses hell, my brother is on his way over there.
been dozing off driving, need a break.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Pray for me - 10/15/21
I feel for your situation. We have gone through it twice. .It takes it's toll on you, but stay strong for him and for you and it will be rewarding. I am pretty sure this disease will get me too. I hope I make it easy on the ones who have to deal with me.
Prayers on the way and I am glad you asked.
Posted By: pahick Re: Pray for me - 10/15/21
Prayers still flowin!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pray for me - 10/15/21
More Prayers sent !

Hang in there Roger !
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Pray for me - 10/15/21
Very difficult dealing with aged parents that are at life's end. I'll add not everyone can cope with it. When my Mother was at death's doorstep I just couldn't go in there. She wasn't aware of anyone or anything and her body was in the final stages of shut down. I did all the heavy lifting in Mom's last several years and thankfully my sister stepped up and was happy to be with her in the final stage when breathing stopped. Prayers and best wishes sent to the OP.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Very difficult dealing with aged parents that are at life's end. I'll add not everyone can cope with it. When my Mother was at death's doorstep I just couldn't go in there. She wasn't aware of anyone or anything and her body was in the final stages of shut down. I did all the heavy lifting in Mom's last several years and thankfully my sister stepped up and was happy to be with her in the final stage when breathing stopped. Prayers and best wishes sent to the OP.

Dealt with my mom and my old lady's mother, so not my first rodeo, but will be my last with my parents and that's what gets me.
© 24hourcampfire