Home
Looking for recommendations for a Cordless drill ..

Probably wont be used 3 or 4 hours a year.

Looking to buy relatively cheap
For the occasional home use, Ryobi is just fine.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Usually with "relatively cheap" that's what you get.
I have had great luck with Dewalt cordless stuff.
I also have a Porter Cable kit that is a little lighter duty and is pretty strong,both 20v kits

^^^lol^^^ that's good (and spot on)
i think i drilled miss milwaukees mom in korea in 85.

but ya, ryobi or one of its various names (craftsman, etc) are fine for what you are looking for. i 'm invested in dewalt stuff. i got a nice starter kit for free so i'm committed at this point. so far the only thing i'm not too keen on is the sander. eats small batteries in about 10 minutes and you can't put a big battery on it because of the dust chute. but it works good. the impacts work great, as do the circular and saber saws.
Originally Posted by deflave

Yep, lol
DeWalt. Your welcome.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For the occasional home use, Ryobi is just fine.
I got the Ryobi cordless kit which has the drill, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, a multi tool cutter, spot light and 2 batteries with tote bag. Was somewhere around $220.00 at Home Depot. I have other higher end power tools but find that the Ryobi tools are pretty good for the casual homeowner.
I look at it like buying a safe, or anything else really. Buy more than you need. You say 3-4 hours a year but sometimes it ends up a lot more.
I switched all my Dewalts out for Makita. Better performance and much longer battery life.

bought an 18V Bosch in '14 when I built my steel framed garage

That thing is still kickin azz & taking names

Biggest thing...they sell 'bare tools' w/o batteries

so be careful...get the battery with it !
Dewalt here, drill and some other tools. I just use around the house for incidental stuff.
Milwaukee. Have some at least 8 years old or more. Used daily.
20 volt DeWalt
I'm not advocating Black & Decker, but my 15 year old drill batteries still charge & work.

My 18v DeWalt batteries have been chit. But, I'm so deep into the tools for these I don't want to change.

Buy more batteries? Upgrade to 20V adapters, or just scrap out 300 bucks worth of tools go to another brand???
Originally Posted by hanco
20 volt DeWalt

Got one of those and one Milwaukee Fuel.

Both are great

This is an accurate depiction.
Milwaukee Fuel.

The. End.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Milwaukee Fuel.

The. End.

This^^^^^^^
Starts and stops with Milwaukee.
Milwaukee Fuel all the way.

don't matter

joe has 'em all built in china
I've spent $1,500+ on Milwaukee cordless tools in the month at Home Depot and consider it money well spent. The DeWalt cordless tools have become community - barn tools.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

don't matter

Wrong
20v Dewalt.
Used daily too.
Never get the bargain model of anything no matter the brand. There’s a reason it’s a bargain. There’s a compromise somewhere.

Milwaukee have done ok but burned up more drills than I care to mention. The last one took a dump about a month ago so it was replaced with another Dewalt.

Either will serve you well.
harbor freight.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
harbor freight.

Bingo. Their middle line is fine.
What the hell you gonna do with it??
Bosch brushless.
Seconds on Harbor Freight.
Porter Cable or Dewalt. Honestly any of them in NiCad are good.
Really? I kinda prefer LitIon.
I went DeWalt years ago...If I was starting over, Milwaukee would be my choice.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I went DeWalt years ago...If I was starting over, Milwaukee would be my choice.

🦫

The new 20 volt DeWalt is better.

Its the same voltage as the 18, but the batteries are better.
Ryobi is fine for “occasional” use. I’ve got a drill/vacuum/tire inflator, that stay in the camper.

If you wanna spend a few more bucks, you can get a Dewalt for a deal around Black Friday.
I like Rigid !
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Anything that I might use a Regular Corded drill for without having to drag out extension cord or Move a Generator to get close enough to plug into.
harbor freight.

Originally Posted by EdM
harbor freight.

LMAO
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I like Rigid !

Me too. I have several Ridgid cordless tools, some were bought in 2003 and I still use them regularly. They were my daily use tools as a tradesman until my current employer provided Milwaukee tools. Honestly, I like my Ridgid tools as well or better.

FWIW, Milwaukee, Ridgid and Ryobi are all owned by the same company.
I meant lit Ion just had a senior moment I guess.
Originally Posted by bcraig

What you’re getting here is simply everyone’s favorite 🤩

If you have any other battery tools, get the same brand to maintain battery consistency.
Have a dewalt drill and impact driver. Both are great.

If it will only be used 3-4 times per year, brand is less important. The issue will be having enough volts when you go to use it!
Old ridgid was decent. I have a table saw that was made in the USA by Emerson. It’s 25-30yo though. Still running two of their worm drives I bought maybe 10 years ago. Used to be skil 77’s, then Bosch HD77, now we’re running all DeWalt worm drives. Probably have 12-15 of them.
DeWalt makes certain tools that rule the roost, but Milwaukee has cordless wrapped up at present.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I switched all my Dewalts out for Makita. Better performance and much longer battery life.

I replaced my old old Milwaukee and Bosch w Makita. Great decision.
Milwaukee m18 all of the way!
All of my stuff is milwaukee. The older stuff is 18V NiCad
The newer stuff is 20VFuel 18VFuel

My employer supplies Dewalt cordless tools, and they're mostly fine. The dewalt drills I use are less ergonomic, as most guys I know inadvertently reverse the drills due to switch/handle configuration.
X1002+

Have one fuel and the cheaper with brushes.

The fuel will wear you out before you need to change the battery, while the brush model will need batteries before you finish your coffee.
Originally Posted by gkt5450

I replaced my old old Milwaukee and Bosch w Makita. Great decision.

I've got a mix of lithium Dewalt, Milwaukee and makita.

I prefer the makita.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Anything that I might use a Regular Corded drill for without having to drag out extension cord or Move a Generator to get close enough to plug into.

Okay.

I bought several cordless drills over the years.

Turns out what I really wanted was an impact driver.

Just asking so you don't mess up like I did.
Makita; if I can't find one of those to suit I'll be happy with Milwaukee.
I've always found the Dewalts to be too heavy and with poor ergonomics.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

don't matter

Wrong

Well somebody has em made in China. Just checked a Ryobi and Rigid, Chink built.

No Dewalt handy but I am sure they are too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by plainsman456
X1002+

Have one fuel and the cheaper with brushes.

The fuel will wear you out before you need to change the battery, while the brush model will need batteries before you finish your coffee.

Wouldn't surprise me but I got the older brushed drill and impact driver with the little batteries for Christmas a couple of years ago and have enjoyed them. $200 bucks now, you might catch them for $150 on sale sometime at home depot. I use the impact driver way more than the drill. Its meant to drive screws but I also use socket adapters on nuts and bolts. Little driver can take off a lug nut if its properly torqued, but that is abuse of the tool......I just wanted to see if it could. No doubt the fuel is better but this is a nice little set for a homeowner to piddle around with occasionally.....actually probably over kill.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Still working construction sites see alot of Milwaukee and Dewalt some others not near as noticeable. Been using Dewalt for ages if I were starting again I would probably go Milwaukee fuel as well.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Milwaukee is what we use at work.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

don't matter

Wrong

Well somebody has em made in China. Just checked a Ryobi and Rigid, Chink built.

My Dewalt tools say made in the USA from domestic and imported materials.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

don't matter

Wrong

Actually, quite a few of the Dewalts are “Made in the USA of global materials”. Not perfect, but a step above “Made in China”.
First one I bought was a Dewalt batteries lasted about two years. I bought a new battery and the drill itself crapped out 5 months later .Next Craftsman lasted twice as long and the batteries crapped out.I have two Harbor Freight ones now. One is going on 6 years.The newest one has the Lithium batteries and the charge last much longer.
Dewalt you pay 20% more just for the name

[u][/u]

Almost any brand will work for this.

have had a Rigid for 5-6 years and it has never let me down.
I do not use cordless tools daily or to make a living.
I have a Bosch I buy from Menards. I do not need professional quality and the price is fair. Especially when they are on sale. Menards has had 11% off rebates for the last year. I have some rebate checks that I use to get more "stuff". The Bosch has worked fine for what I do.

kwg
harbor freight.

Exactamundo

For 3-4 hours use annually the poster said.

We have several Bauer cordless tools[drill/driver etc] and all have done fine and the batteries have been GTG for 2-3 years now.
Added the pole saw last month and was surprised how much cutting I could do on one charge.
It never fails. A guy needs a small pickup to haul garden supplies and half the replies say that nothing less than a Peterbilt with a sleeper will do.
25% off Dewalt today at Murdoch's.

https://www.murdochs.com/brand/dewalt/
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Yeah online. I went in yesterday and storing for a grease gun. Fugked myself out of the dewalt sale they had in store a couple days prior I did t know about.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yeah online. I went in yesterday and storing for a grease gun. Fugked myself out of the dewalt sale they had in store a couple days prior I did t know about.

Pears sent.
I have an 18volt dewalt drill I have abused the hell out of for 11-12 years. Only on second set of batteries. Guess im on board with the new 20v line. One tool at a time. [bleep] those things ain’t cheap
Originally Posted by EdM
harbor freight.

Been using the HF Hercules stuff for a couple of years - drill/drivers, recip saw, circ saw, and LED light. Everything except the LED light is brushless. LED light is only 280 lumens, whereas others (Dewalt, at least, is 2x or maybe even 4x brighter).
If you expect the twin pack for $99 to be awesome....
Bosch

From lowes

18v

Gets used about every other day for a 5 minute and sometimes all day project. Same batteries and no problems for the last 5-6 years I’ve had it. Drop it off ladders, throw it off the roof down into the yard, etc. still good.

Lowes used to run a deal about Chrimmus Time, the drill, 2 batts and charger for 99 dollars. Usually it was like 179$

So anyway they did that sale again the next Chrimmus and I bought the set again just to have those the two batteries.

Look at what each brand offers in the same voltage/battery type and see if there's other things you can use. My next door neighbor has all Dewalt 20V tools and we use his hedge trimmer. We bought a Ego cordless leaf blower, string trimmer, and self propelled mower. All use the same batteries and while the mower's battery is larger (thicker) the smaller batteries will work if it dies before were done. I bit the bullet and bought a Dewalt combo drill and impact driver this year. I have used them more than I had anticipated. I use the drill to anneal my brass.
Just to add, I also have had a Dewalt set of 18v since 1998 and they still kinda sorta work. I let Batteries Plus rebuild the batteries once.

Batteries Plus, probably don’t have those “wist ofthee missyssissyssippi” as shubert says.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Just to add, I also have had a Dewalt set of 18v since 1998 and they still kinda sorta work. I let Batteries Plus rebuild the batteries once.

Batteries Plus, probably don’t have those “wist ofthee missyssissyssippi” as shubert says.

Had one here last I knew.
25% off Dewalt today at Murdoch's.

https://www.murdochs.com/brand/dewalt/

The one item I have any current urge for is still nearly $20 cheaper elsewhere. LOL
I'd look at the battery 'ecosystem' as part of your decision. Nice to have several batteries that will drive any/all of your tools. And you will get more tools than the drill (impact wrench!)

Milwaukee has the battery stuff down, IMHO, and their tools are top notch.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by slumlord

Had one here last I knew.

We got 'em.
It never fails. A guy needs a small pickup to haul garden supplies and half the replies say that nothing less than a Peterbilt with a sleeper will do.

^^^THIS^^^

Hilarious.
Last Summer I was up that the old family vacation house and needed to run a couple of screws in to fix something. The only thing I could find was an old corded drill and a screw driver. I told myself that I was going to buy a cordless drill and leave it there for the next time. I went up a few weeks ago and forgot to buy one. Sho-nuff, got up there and the freakin gutter was falling off the front of the house. So I go to the local lumber yard and they only sell Bosch. I told the guy that the thing might get used 10 minutes a year for the house and I didn't want to spend a million bucks. I told him that I sold building materials and we got in a long conversation about the prices of schit. He sold me a little 12V Bosch and knocked $40 off the price. Nice guy. The bad boy came with two batteries and a handy dandy carrying case. Perfect for what I need.

I like DeWalt

For 3-4 times a year I’d get this. More reliable than Ryobi and it’s cordless.

For 3-4 times a year I’d get this. More reliable than Ryobi and it’s cordless.

A push drill is more compact.

Home Depot has some great sales on some combo kits of Ryobi right now. I have several Ryobi drills, impacts, etc, and they have never let me down. They are great for home owners and weekend warriors. One thing I like is their "One +" batteries never change, other than hour ratings, and they have a lot of tools that use them. Don't listen to the Ryobi haters, I have abused mine more than once with no problems. Unless you use them to make a living every day, it makes no sense to spend too much for a drill, etc. The guys that tell you Ryobi is junk and Milwaukee is the real deal, may not know they are both part of TTi.
I have a DeWalt 18V. Its OK, it came with an extra battery and a carrying case. I'm not sure its worth significant more than a Rigid or Kobalt brand for just normal use around the house.

Skil for under $100.
DeWalt 20 volt is what I have..zero issues. Just don't buy cheap! Buy once cry once.
Originally Posted by Raeford
harbor freight.

Exactamundo

For 3-4 hours use annually the poster said.

We have several Bauer cordless tools[drill/driver etc] and all have done fine and the batteries have been GTG for 2-3 years now.
Added the pole saw last month and was surprised how much cutting I could do on one charge.

I have a Bauer chipping hammer I've been using for 5 yrs to take up tile, still works fine just keep it greased.
I'm staying out of this one. laugh
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm staying out of this one. laugh

Play along!
I would go with the Milwaukee M12 for occasional use. The price isn't going to be that much more than the lower end stuff and it has tons of different tool options that use the M12 batteries.
Have only owned two cordless drill products since the mid 90s.....

Started out with 12v Milwaukee which was fine....gifted it to a family member when their tools were lost in a fire...

Been doing the 18v makita thing ever since....

Both work for me.

Yep. Every chainsaw/truck/scope thread on the 24hcf, EVER.........
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've spent $1,500+ on Milwaukee cordless tools in the month at Home Depot and consider it money well spent. The DeWalt cordless tools have become community - barn tools.

Old thread I know.

I took your word for it True, picked up a M18 Fuel rattle-gun and it is an excellent piece of kit. My brother has an old V18 drill and circular saw he said I can have, so I ordered an adapter so that I can use the M18 batteries on the old V18 tools.

Next on the list is a Stihl motorised auger and a Stihl pole-saw, I should have most bases covered right about there.
DeWalt is what you want in my opinion.
Dad wanted a rechargeable drill for the same. He's got an ancient Makita rechargeable that's decades old and he kept trying to get it to work again, not sure why, it's like 8 volts.

So I went to Lowes and got him a Craftsman kit - drill, battery and charger. I think it was on sale for 80 bucks or so. It's about a year old now and works great for his needs.

He was happy.

'course that new Craftsman didn't stop him from buying an ancient DeWalt at a garage sale for $3.00. He likes to go to garage sales late on Sunday and put a bunch of crap in a box and then offer 'em like $5.00. Apparently he's got it figured.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Old thread I know.

I took your word for it True, picked up a M18 Fuel rattle-gun and it is an excellent piece of kit. My brother has an old V18 drill and circular saw he said I can have, so I ordered an adapter so that I can use the M18 batteries on the old V18 tools.

Next on the list is a Stihl motorised auger and a Stihl pole-saw, I should have most bases covered right about there.

Get the Milwaukee pole saw you won't be disappointed
I have a 10 or 11 year old Bosch that keeps on trucking. The batteries are both about shot, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the same unit again.

Bought a Harbor Freight, Bauer impact driver last year to build a small deck. It wasn’t happy by the end of it. Still runs, but is noticeably louder and feels like it wants to come apart.
It was cheap and did the job though.
You buy a cheap one and get fugged twice.1 st time when you buy it and help China fug us all and 2nd time when the pos craps out on you when you need it the worst. Take some of the money you saved when I gave you that original Remington sling for nothing and buy a 20v Dewalt brushless on sale. Mb

Harbor Freight
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Old thread I know.

Agreed.

I bought the Milwaukee kit that comes with the weedeater, edger, hedge trimmer, and pole saw attachment and holy schit does it impress.

I also bought their brushless impact driver and 3/8" drill and they kick ass.
So the guy wants something for 3 - 4 hours a year and "relatively cheap" and look at all the suggestions he gets. This is better than the guy whose question about a small, cheap, occasional-use, homeowner chainsaw starts an epic Campfire Husqvarna vs Stihl dick-measuring contest.

Just go to Harbor Freight.
I made the same observation pages ago. If a guy were to ask about a light pickup for commuting and garden hauling, he'll get recommendations for Kenworth versus Peterbilt and which sleeper cab is the best. Never fails.

I have DeWalt and Milwaukee, sometimes I use them at the same time.
Originally Posted by cra1948
So the guy wants something for 3 - 4 hours a year and "relatively cheap" and look at all the suggestions he gets. This is better than the guy whose question about a small, cheap, occasional-use, homeowner chainsaw starts an epic Campfire Husqvarna vs Stihl dick-measuring contest.
Just go to Harbor Freight.

Yep, just go to Harbor Freight

If you're man card has expired and you only need to screw a couple times a year you might as well just support the Chinese and buy from Walmart and HF.

Here's a dandy for you from Walmart, the king of Chinese s_hit.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]
I find most of the tools very comparable but I finally got tired of buying expensive batteries, and I think letting them sit a lot is tougher on them than using them a lot, so I switched to Rigid. Free Lifetime replacement batteries. Be careful and register everything and keep receipts but you can not beat free.
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Old thread I know.

The stihl extends to 3.9 metres...I cut trees at work and find the stihl useful.
Ridgid has free batteries for life (IF YOU REGISTER).

As for a drill for "3 or 4 times a year"... I really have no idea.

I will mail you an old Makita 9.6v stick type drill free (without batteries) if you pay the shipping... batteries are $20+/- on FleaBay. Great drills... if a drill/driver is all you need.

Drop me a PM if interested.

Yep, Dewalt are just pretty yellow Black & Deckers...considered junk on most job sites.

Makita for the win
Pawn shop is your friend. Buy the best for much lower price
Pawn shops? I don’t know what pawnshop y’all frequent, but any one I go into wants new price for everything.
Pawn shops aren’t cheap anymore.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Yep, Dewalt are just pretty yellow Black & Deckers...considered junk on most job sites.

Makita for the win

Bullshiet

Get a Ryobi drill and driver Combo on sale with batteries. I have used mine for a decade with zero problems. Don't listen to the haters, Ryobi drills work fine, especially for us weekend warriors.
Here we go again. Job sites and professional users. The request was about doing three or four jobs a year. Nothing like what a pro does.

(Unless he's a union pro, that is.)
Here we go again. Job sites and professional users. The request was about doing three or four jobs a year. Nothing like what a pro does.

Most questions like this are answered in the first two pages.

After that the conversation will progress to all different types and brands and experience.

Same as a real Campfire.
Another one good for occasional use is Home Depot's Rigid brand. I don't know who makes them.

As DeFlavor said, usually these questions are answered in the first few pages.

As Rocky says, for the occasional user Ryobi does fine. Ryobi batteries will have a have a shorter lifespan than the "Big Three".

DeWalt makes the biggest bang for the buck, their 20v tools are a good idea for guys who are want/need a cordless table saw,, miter saw, or a worm gear circular saw.

Milwaukee makes the best tool itself--ergomics, the plastic housing, bearings and races.

Makita makes the best batteries and most efficient motors , which are the heart of any cordless tool. With proper care Makita batteries will last longer than others.

Don't let the batteries freeze, they'll last a LOT longer. Fully charged batteries won't freeze as quickly, and fully charged batteries will have a longer lifespan under any conditions--don't discharge them and then toss the batteries in the corner and forget about them. Batteries are expensive and I have a feeling their about to become more expensive.

Milwaukee and Makita are now owned by the same capital management outfit, although they are each stand alone companies there is a bit of crossover with some tools.

Most questions like this are answered in the first two pages.

After that the conversation will progress to all different types and brands and experience.

Same as a real Campfire.

I agree with both of you however when someone makes an idiotic statement they deserve to be called on it.
But what does Lama Deuce recommend?!?!
Best to match your minimal use: Ryobi

Made by same company as Milwaukee but old style batteries & ergos.
Truth is none are worth a chit for ‘a few jobs a year’
Batteries are made to be used daily and recharged daily. Any of the lowes , home depot brands will work fine. The last 40,000.00 in aluminum awning I installed have been done with a 99.00 lowes hibachi drill and impact set with low amp batteries. Both worked fine. Best I’ve ever had is panasonic 15.6 colt , have 2 and both have lasted over 25 yrs and still using the original lithium batteries. Panasonic was the first to use lithium.
Milwaukee then DeWalt.
see a lot of Metzikans using Ryobi cordless tools
Haven’t bought one in years. Use to really like the Makita made stuff.

Have a “heavy duty” Sears Model I got for Christmas several years ago. Works well. Don’t know who made it for Sears.
Seven pages... has he bought his occasional use drill yet or still gathering intel?

Question was asked, I gave my honest opinion. Most will answer what they own, because they look stupid if they admit it's junk...just like trucks.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Makita for the win

Bullshiet

Wrong:

Stanley Black & Decker
One, a whole bunch of the top power tool brands — including DeWalt, Black & Decker, Craftsman, Porter-Cable and more — are all owned by the same company, Stanley Black & Decker.
my dedicated limited use cordless tool of choice, use it only one hour a year .... per moose ... the rest of the year is heavy unlimited use on commercial demo/remodel construction jobs

reliability is 100% in rainstorms, blood n guts ....

took a Milwaukee out one year, damn thing quit in the light rain, battery gets wet and they fkn quit

did a metal siding job in Valdez, Alaska & none of the Milwaukee tools would work in the rain, DeWalt cordless tools worked without issue under waterfall roof eaves, soaking wet for three months, my Milwaukee set took weeks to dry out before tools would work again, one battery & impact gun still won't work, brand new out of the box, one day on the job in the rain.... POS ... that's why you only see turd herders and spark in the dark use them,, INSIDE the building

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by EdM
harbor freight.

Bauer. Thats what I use and I use them daily
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
"ABC and DEF are both owned by company XYZ, so neither is better."

Is that like all Ford trucks are equal for towing a 14' dump trailer full of gravel?

Might not one tool have ball bearings while another has bushings?

smile

Bruce
Originally Posted by Swamplord
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pic made me laugh. On a side note, bought my dad a Milwaukee chainsaw & when I got home with it I discovered it's made in China. It's a bummer to see American made sell out.
Originally Posted by kudu3
I find most of the tools very comparable but I finally got tired of buying expensive batteries, and I think letting them sit a lot is tougher on them than using them a lot, so I switched to Rigid. Free Lifetime replacement batteries. Be careful and register everything and keep receipts but you can not beat free.

Until you try to actually get the free batteries. Home Depot ended their free batteries program and now if your batteries go tits up you have to deal with Rigid. I got a couple free batteries...ONCE. They discontinued the older tools and the new lithium batteries don't fit.
Porter cable
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Milwaukee Fuel.

The. End.

Yup this (18), and if anyone needs new batteries for whatever you have check out "triple batteries" I have bought some from them in dewalt and milwaukee at a fraction of the price you find in hardware stores. The onlt difference is they are not marked with the brand name. This is what I load mine with for tapping tree's and they hold up great and priced right.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...0AhWtd98KHWorAtMQ9aACegQIARBa&adurl=
I bought a 20V Black and Decker because I already have a trimmer, hedge trimmer, pole saw, and now a portable pump that uses the same batteries. Have about six batteries now and four chargers. Strictly homeowner-grade stuff, but the pole saw and trimmer get used pretty hard and I only had to finally replace the trimmer after about five years. First use of the drill was yesterday, running a bulb-planting auger. The batteries have held up really well too. All are still in use.

I like nice stuff too, but it’s silly to spend big money where it’s not needed.
If it is used that little buy a cheap corded drill and don't worry about it

I was anticipating that someone would, within the first few entries, suggest Smith & Wesson as the premier cordless drill.
Porter Cable are awesome drills for the money and won't break the bank.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Truth is none are worth a chit for ‘a few jobs a year’
Batteries are made to be used daily and recharged daily. Any of the lowes , home depot brands will work fine. The last 40,000.00 in aluminum awning I installed have been done with a 99.00 lowes hibachi drill and impact set with low amp batteries. Both worked fine. Best I’ve ever had is panasonic 15.6 colt , have 2 and both have lasted over 25 yrs and still using the original lithium batteries. Panasonic was the first to use lithium.

Nobody--including Panasonic--made lithium tool batteries 25 years ago.
Reminds me we need to turn the generator shaft to stave off the brushes sticking.
Does Dewalt sell directly to the Public ?

The reason I ask is this Link

https://www.dewaltol.com/?msclkid=42729eaae3931b39f604ff380fec0858

Are these genuine Dewalt Power tools or a scam ?
They seem a lot cheaper than buying through Home Depot,Lowes etc
Does Dewalt sell directly to the Public ?

The reason I ask is this Link

https://www.dewaltol.com/?msclkid=42729eaae3931b39f604ff380fec0858

Are these genuine Dewalt Power tools or a scam ?
They seem a lot cheaper than buying through Home Depot,Lowes etc

LOL if it's too good to be true, it's a scam.
Milwaukee all the way
I bought an 18 Volt Dewalt cordless that died on me.
I had too much money in the batteries and charger, so I bought another.

Then I got the Dewalt 20 Volt cordless.............much better.
I got the 20 Volt:
chainsaw
light
impact driver
leaf blower

Then I read on the internet that Milwaukee is better.

It took me all of the 1990s to wear out my Makita cordless drills with NiCad batteries.

I will die of old age before my 20V Dewalt drills wear out.
Milwaukee Fuel no question. I came from Makita and Dewalt. I now look for projects to buy more.
Home Depot Ridgid tools have served me well and while I don't make a living with my tools I have used them at times pretty hard. Look for black Friday deals coming up.

now back to the question asked ....

was just in Lowes and saw a "relatively cheap" cordless drill that should be about right for ya

if you're just looking to run screws and no drilling, here's a cheaper option

Got a whole set of craftsman cordless 19.2 volt tools I'll sell for $50 of course the batteries are all shot and they don't sell them anymore but hey wtf? Mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Got a whole set of craftsman cordless 19.2 volt tools I'll sell for $50 of course the batteries are all shot and they don't sell them anymore but hey wtf? Mb

I looked into rebuilding some batteries once... Not too hard I reckon... maybe after I finally get around to rearranging that sock drawer.

Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by EdM
harbor freight.

Bauer. Thats what I use and I use them daily

This^^^
They do fine for what they are
Don't let the batteries freeze, they'll last a LOT longer. Fully charged batteries won't freeze as quickly, and fully charged batteries will have a longer lifespan under any conditions--don't discharge them and then toss the batteries in the corner and forget about them. Batteries are expensive and I have a feeling their about to become more expensive.
Even more important - don't recharge them when it's below freezing. That will permanently damage Li-on batteries. Some better chargers won't charge when it's that cold but many will try and ruin the batteries. You can use them when it's below freezing but don't recharge them until you warm them up.
© 24hourcampfire