Home
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...gun-misfires-on-set-of-alec-baldwin-film

I thought movie guns were not real? Baldwin is a leftist pig.... sure hope he gets charged. One dead other still in surgery.

An accident on the set of Alec Baldwin’s movie, "Rust," at the Bonanza Creek Ranch on the outskirts of Sante Fe, New Mexico, sent two members of the film crew to the hospital. One of them, a woman, has died, Fox News has confirmed.

A press release from the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department said deputies were dispatched to the set around 1:50 p.m. local time, and the call indicated that an individual had been shot.

Investigators said that the prop firearm was being used during filming when it was discharged by Baldwin, hitting his director of photography, Halyna Hutchins and director Joel Souza. Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged, the sheriff said.

According to the media release, one shooting victim – a 42-year-old female – was transported via helicopter to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she later died, the sheriff’s office confirmed.
Isn't that how Bruce Lee's son died?
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Isn't that how Bruce Lee's son died?

Yes

The Crow
So Baldwin killed someone?
Smoked a cinematographer and winged the director.
Sad situation. I wish much misery for this leftist pos.
God got him for his Trump parodies

Maybe he can get dragged thru some exhaustive inquiry and get some negligence or involuntary manslaughter out of it.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I thought movie guns were not real? Baldwin is a leftist pig.... sure hope he gets charged.

Real guns are often used in movies and blanks have enough power to kill people at close range.

And, yes, Baldwin is very far left.
Common knowledge that prop guns can be lethal at close range. What reason would he have, to shoot at two directors?
We need one more person to inform us that the dude was a liberal.

Some members live in tin sheds, eat canned tuna and have no TV
Originally Posted by slumlord
God got him for his Trump parodies

Maybe he can get dragged thru some exhaustive inquiry and get some negligence or involuntary manslaughter out of it.

ha ha

zero coverage on this in the msm
I heard that he was a bit of a lefty.
Originally Posted by kolofardos
I heard that he was a bit of a lefty.

He leads the parade...
I’d bet he was acting normal, like the dumbass he is and thought he’d be funny, shooting them both at very close range.

Thought they’d all have a laugh. F’n idiot.
If the blanks didn’t kill her the NM hospital damn sure would.
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I’d bet he was acting normal, like the dumbass he is and thought he’d be funny, shooting them both at very close range.

There are going to be two central questions. One. How did a projectile (bullet) get into Baldwin's gun, and two, What in the world was Baldwin doing, aiming the gun at the director and cinematographer, and pulling the trigger TWICE???!!

If it can be shown that Baldwin loaded a couple of real cartridges in the gun and then aimed at the two victims and fired twice, then he can very definitely be charged with at least, First Degree Manslaughter. Plus, the families of the two victims are going to take Baldwin, the film company, and the studio to the cleaners. Big bucks are going to change hands in this incident, guarandamntee you of that.

FWIW.

L.W.
Originally Posted by slumlord
We need one more person to inform us that the dude was a liberal.

Some members live in tin sheds, eat canned tuna and have no TV

He clearly proclaimed his liberal leanings in "Team America", where he played himself.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It’ll be interesting to see what exactly happened here, and how it gets spun for public consumption.
Hopefully we’ll get more information.
Brandon Lee, IIRC, was killed by a squib load that left a projectile in the barrel that was driven out by a blank on the set.
There was another young actor back in the 80s I believe, who offed himself playing Russian Roulette with a blank loaded revolver.
Most Hollywood types know next to nothing when it comes to guns.
If Baldwin was playing around, I hope they fry the bastard. I can’t imagine what else might have happened.
7mm
Karma is a biatch, He hate guns in real life but love it on movie...Well he has to pick a side now.
You know the story. It was the guns fault. Sue Colt.
Too soon ?

fork that anti-gun Libtard .......

karma is a bitch

......[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
If the blanks didn’t kill her the NM hospital damn sure would.

Covid
I thought he was against folks having guns.
I hope Saturday Night Live has a bunch of skits about it and I hope they run it into the dirt like they did with Trump skits.

I wonder who will play Baldwin or will he play himself?

WS
See, I told ya. Guns are bad, All guns are bad! Even the movie props can't be trusted....
Are lawyers lined up yet. I doubt they will charge him being he is a liberal. But I hope the family/s take him civilly.
One leftist pig shoots another leftist pig, who cares?

A good start to the day really.
Too soon to post this?

https://twitter.com/alecbaldwln____/status/911425278123048960?s=10

I am sorry for the victim, but if he gets locked up that would make me happy.
Alec Baldwin’s father was a Marine Corp veteran who was discharged from the service after being wounded in an accidental firearms discharge on Parris Island. He went to become a long term educator at Massapequa High School during which is was a highly respected and successful rifle coach back in the day that many Long Island, NY high schools had rifle teams.

Alec may have become anti-gun over the years but he certainly should be cognizant of basic firearm handling safety.
No more guns in movies!!!

Originally Posted by Leanwolf

There are going to be two central questions. One. How did a projectile (bullet) get into Baldwin's gun, and two, What in the world was Baldwin doing, aiming the gun at the director and cinematographer, and pulling the trigger TWICE???!!

If it can be shown that Baldwin loaded a couple of real cartridges in the gun and then aimed at the two victims and fired twice, then he can very definitely be charged with at least, First Degree Manslaughter. Plus, the families of the two victims are going to take Baldwin, the film company, and the studio to the cleaners. Big bucks are going to change hands in this incident, guarandamntee you of that.

FWIW.

L.W.

You’ve been on sets and have the knowledge, pointing the gun at a crew member and firing (twice) sounds negligent at least. I saw a report that no charges have been made…yet. Regardless, tens of millions will be involved in the suit.
Maybe these pussies need to stop being afraid of big bad guns and take a class on safe handling of a firearm... so they'll know better than to point them at people and pull the f'n trigger
There will be no criminal charges against Baldwin.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

He must have shot to the left and missed the actor’s to hit the director’s
Ah he is so traumatized, he’s been through enough really. We won’t be filing any charges, it was Just an accident.
At this point, What difference would it make?

I can here it all now. Makes Me want to puke. Fricken Liberals!😡🤬
I keep saying that if libs want to ban guns, they should start by banning them from movies and video games. Where do they think that young hoodlums get their inspiration to shoot people?

If there was criminal negligence in this, it has to be shared by both Baldwin and the prop master. There should NEVER be live ammo anywhere on the set.
When I was a kid, the mother of a friend of mine got shot in the leg while on a pirate-themed boat ride at 6 Flags in Texas. One of the actors accidentally fired a prop gun in close proximity to my friend's mom, and the blast from the blank and the wadding put a hole in her leg. Fortunately, she recovered.
a few points

1. as a life long gun guy, if i had a real gun, capable of shooting real bullets, and someone handed me that gun that was supposed to have blanks, i could not bring myself to shoot that gun towards anyone, not matter what. instinct, training, muscle memory, whatever. i couldn't do it. if this lefty POS had knowledge or respect of firearms, this would not have happened.

2 . given the technology of camera angles, CGI, etc there is no reason to be pointing a gun at someone and shooting, actors, set people, nobody. LW, you are probably qualified to say if this is true or not.

3. this is a prime example of why people need gun safety training, whether or not they will ever use a gun. this should be taught in elementary school. fact of the matter is guns are not going away no matter what the lefties think.

this appears to be negligence on many levels and i hope these kocksuckers get cleaned out and alec-fuc-ken-baldwin goes away forever.
Put your mask on Alec, before you kill someone else…

Yea really .................
Put your mask on Alec, before you kill someone else…

LOL
This is ironic.

"A film crew member has died and another was injured after actor Alec Baldwin discharged a prop firearm on the set of the movie "Rust" in New Mexico on Thursday..."Rust" is a Western film set in the 1880s that stars Baldwin, Travis Fimmel and Jensen Ackles.
The story is about a 13 year-old boy "who goes on the run with his long estranged grandfather after he's sentenced to hang for the accidental killing of a local rancher"...
I read that it was a single shot that passed through the gal and into the director. If so it wasn't a blank.

FWIW.

L.W.

Agree LW. But since it happened in a Libertard Schitthole like Santa Fe, NM, Baldwin will probably skate on the Manslaughter Charges. It ought be Criminally Negligent Homicide, if he deliberately aimed the gun at the camera guy and the Director and pulled the trigger acting like a smartass.
Originally Posted by Steve
I read that it was a single shot that passed through the gal and into the director. If so it wasn't a blank.

That would make more sense, and sounds more like a live round instead of a supposed “blank” round.
Not the first person killed on a Movie or TV set with a prop gun. Jon-Erik Hexum killed himself with a prop gun back in 1984.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Not the first person killed on a Movie or TV set with a prop gun. Jon-Erik Hexum killed himself with a prop gun back in 1984.

I remember that, I think he stuck it to his temple. He was as smart as Alec.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Bruce Lee’s son was killed by a “prop gun” too.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I thought movie guns were not real? Baldwin is a leftist pig.... sure hope he gets charged. One dead other still in surgery.

An accident on the set of Alec Baldwin’s movie, "Rust," at the Bonanza Creek Ranch on the outskirts of Sante Fe, New Mexico, sent two members of the film crew to the hospital. One of them, a woman, has died, Fox News has confirmed.

A press release from the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department said deputies were dispatched to the set around 1:50 p.m. local time, and the call indicated that an individual had been shot.

Investigators said that the prop firearm was being used during filming when it was discharged by Baldwin, hitting his director of photography, Halyna Hutchins and director Joel Souza. Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged, the sheriff said.

According to the media release, one shooting victim – a 42-year-old female – was transported via helicopter to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she later died, the sheriff’s office confirmed.

No Jimmy Olsen Award for you ! 😜

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16551325/1
Apparently, there is a prop union strike going on and local scabs are being used on this movie. That does bring in the possibility of active sabotage. I’m not saying it is, but bringing a live round into a situation where one shouldn’t be within a mile of all this was more than just a frick up.
Baldwin will walk if there was no malicious intent. If it was the crew’s job to provide him with a non-lethal prop and he did not introduce live ammo into the set there’s no crime. Can’t imagine even a civil suit being successful against him. He was going thru the normal course of action.

The production team ? Now that’s another story. Somebody spit in their chili big time there.
Negligent homicide at least.

This wasn't a Glock semi-auto, this was almost certainly a single-action revolver.

He had to do three separate things to kill that poor woman. Manually cock it, point it, and pull the trigger.

Not accidental.
Originally Posted by shootem
Baldwin will walk if there was no malicious intent. If it was the crew’s job to provide him with a non-lethal prop and he did not introduce live ammo into the set there’s no crime. Can’t imagine even a civil suit being successful against him. He was going thru the normal course of action.

The production team ? Now that’s another story. Somebody spit in their chili big time there.
That may be true if he was pointing it at a cast member during filming. There is absolutely no reason to point a gun at a crew member, let alone pull the trigger.
. Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer on Alec Baldwin Film Contained ‘Live Single Round,’ Union Claims
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That may be true if he was pointing it at a cast member during filming. There is absolutely no reason to point a gun at a crew member, let alone pull the trigger.

Yep. If so, that would be “malicious intent”.
He was negligent. Now prosecute.

He may not have been pointing it at a crew member. A real bullet goes a lot farther than a blank. These people could have been ten yards away minding their own business.
. Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer on Alec Baldwin Film Contained ‘Live Single Round,’ Union Claims

That would be my best guess. Blank wouldn’t be powerful enough to go through two people.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

He may not have been pointing it at a crew member. A real bullet goes a lot farther than a blank. These people could have been ten yards away minding their own business.

Yep. Standing off-scene somewhere and then here comes a bullet. I don't like Alec's politics, but I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Somebody either really got sloppy or somebody did something really evil.
so was it a real gun? Or a prop gun? Can a prop gun fire actual live ammo? Having a hard time believing that someone accidently loaded an actual gun with live ammo. instead of blanks.
There really isn’t any way to “accidentally” introduce live ammo to a movie set.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. If so, that would be “malicious intent”.

Hide & watch. It wasn’t Baldwin’s responsibility to “vet” the prop gun. And I agree about the possibility of stupid actions. I couldn’t bring myself to point any gun at another person without personally verifying it’s condition. Right now we don’t know under what conditions the prop was used or if it was discharged during active production. If there is a civil suit involving Baldwin I predict it will be Baldwin suing the production company.
I’m guessing the camera director and film director were standing behind a camera to line it up and see what it looked like when Alec fired towards the camera. Someone slipped a live round into the pistol. Best guess.
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
I’m guessing the camera director and film director were standing behind a camera to line it up and see what it looked like when Alec fired towards the camera. Someone slipped a live round into the pistol. Best guess.

Another thing to consider too is that if the movie was striving for realism, they would have been looking at a cylinder full of lead nosed bullets too. A guy in Baldwin’s position could have even done a quick spin of the cylinder and missed the one with a live primer in it.
that POS can burn in h e l l, he started alot of crap with a gun club I belong to about how they kept there animals, that and PETA
Baldwin's father was a Marine and coach of the rifle team at Massapequa High on Long Island NY. He should have known enough to check what was in the gun before he ever cocked it. “In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,” the actor allegedly kept saying.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Baldwin's father was a Marine and coach of the rifle team at Massapequa High on Long Island NY. He should have known enough to check what was in the gun before he ever cocked it. “In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,” the actor allegedly kept saying.

Ya ever get to pheasant hunt with his dad?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Can't know if it's hot if you don't check.
Once again, how exactly do you tell if it’s hot if it is loaded with dummy cartridges?
Ouch...

Attached picture Screensho.jpg
Once again, how exactly do you tell if it’s hot if it is loaded with dummy cartridges?

Having an IQ above room temperature helps.
So, no, there would be no way for Baldwin to tell.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Having an IQ above room temperature helps.

Perhaps, but it depends on how realistic they are.

Do you load dummy rounds with live primers? I sure as he77 don't...
No, but I can easily see how with a single action revolver where you have to spin the entire cylinder past the oading gate to look how one could miss that one live primer. And I can see fake live primers being used too. I remember in movies like Saving Private Ryan I always noticed that the rounds in the machine gun belts didn’t have primers.
Would any sane person point a REAL gun with ANY type of ammunition in it and pull the trigger?
I would think that with knowledge being what it is today that nobody would ever allow a gun (prop or not) to be aimed toward people.

If you tubers can figure out ways around it, I’m sure Hollywood can to.
Originally Posted by deflave
I would think that with knowledge being what it is today that nobody would ever allow a gun (prop or not) to be aimed toward people.

Exactly! There is no reason to point it directly at a person. Any competent director/camera crew can take the angles that make it "look" legit, but maintain safety.
I wouldn't even point a gun I KNEW was empty at anyone or pull the trigger. Know two young people who were killed by empty guns in the last yr.
Originally Posted by Longbob

Exactly! There is no reason to point it directly at a person. Any competent director/camera crew can take the angles that make it "look" legit, but maintain safety.

They weren't even filming, it was a practice run. The film crew had left 6 hours earlier.
No, but I can easily see how with a single action revolver where you have to spin the entire cylinder past the oading gate to look how one could miss that one live primer. And I can see fake live primers being used too. I remember in movies like Saving Private Ryan I always noticed that the rounds in the machine gun belts didn’t have primers.

I'm not for calling people idiots on the internet, but you are one
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

They weren't even filming, it was a practice run. The film crew had left 6 hours earlier.

Even less of a reason to be pointing it at anyone. There isn't a single reason why the gun should have been pointed at anyone it could have injured or killed. Practice run or not.

After hours on the set....hmmmmm. Sounds more and more like Alec was playing grabazz with guns, and most likely, alcohol. what a fu$king idiot.

Even less of a reason to be pointing it at anyone. There isn't a single reason why the gun should have been pointed at anyone it could have injured or killed. Practice run or not.

I don't disagree, just stating the facts as released.
Now hold it ! A police officer trying to restrain a black guy, who dies. Floyd, and Baldwin who intentionally points a gun at people and pulls the trigger . What’s wrong here?
How many shots he took? Gotta realize it is real bullet after shot the first person
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Now hold it ! A police officer trying to restrain a black guy, who dies. Floyd, and Baldwin who intentionally points a gun at people and pulls the trigger . What’s wrong here?

They were both black.
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Take your 69 posts and shove them up your ass, idiot. Out of about 14 million movies made with guns over the last hundred years, Alec Baldwin shoots someone and you dumb [bleep] think you’re smarter than everyone who has done it.

No worries. Makes me wonder how he got a hold of the gun if the film crew had left. IE the armorer. I wonder if he got it directly from the armorer with a live round or he grabbed it himself. It will be interesting if that little nuance is revealed.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I wouldn't even point a gun I KNEW was empty at anyone or pull the trigger. Know two young people who were killed by empty guns in the last yr.

Yup. Only stupid or ignorant people do that.
Originally Posted by KevinLA
How many shots he took? Gotta realize it is real bullet after shot the first person

I keep hearing it was one round. A 45 Colt (assuming here) could easily punch through the lady, and hit the dude behind her.
Every single bit of gun handling in the movies is “unsafe” that’s why they have prop people and stringent rules.

No worries. Makes me wonder how he got a hold of the gun if the film crew had left. IE the armorer. I wonder if he got it directly from the armorer with a live round or he grabbed it himself. It will be interesting if that little nuance is revealed.

There obviously are a lot of questions that need answered, and who was responsible for what...but 2 people getting shot during a practice run, drops the possibility of the gun being pointed at the camera for a shot(and the 2 key employees being shot in the process).
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I keep hearing it was one round. A 45 Colt (assuming here) could easily punch through the lady, and hit the dude behind her.

That’s exactly happened. She was on the camera lining it up and the director was leaning over her back.

There obviously are a lot of questions that need answered, and who was responsible for what...but 2 people getting shot during a practice run, drops the possibility of the gun being pointed at the camera for a shot(and the 2 key employees being shot in the process).

No it doesn’t. The camera work is “practice” too. In fact, it’s more than likely that the only reason they did it was to see how it would work with the camera before doing the actual take.

That’s exactly happened. She was on the camera lining it up and the director was leaning over her back.

That's not what happened, they weren't filming.

Yeah, it was.

Yeah, it was.

Ok, the film crew left 6 hours earlier.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set
The Daily Beast has it that the whole production was a clusterF, says two negligent discharges the day before, people quitting the set over abysmal conditions, a low budget production.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-...-halyna-hutchins-tragic-death?ref=scroll

Yeah, it was.

Ok, the film crew left 6 hours earlier.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

So, the people in charge were seeing how the shot would work before they actually shot it. Here is a little secret too. They often film rehearsals, particularly if it involves something that requires physical movement.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The Daily Beast has it that the whole production was a clusterF, says two negligent discharges the day before, people quitting the set over abysmal conditions, a low budget production.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-...-halyna-hutchins-tragic-death?ref=scroll

Joebob says no, he must have been there.
Given Hollywood’s adversity to firearms albeit they continue to make shoot ‘em up, kill movies. The irony is that supposedly their was an armorer on set to prep firearms to be used. My thought, which I am confident is fairly universal on this sight, would be “trust, but verify”.
Alex Baldwin is a leftist numbskull. He is a terrible person, father, husband et al. He should be charged with negligence. There is no excuse for this nonsense. But, doubt there will be repercussions. This will be but another tool the left employs to nullify the 2nd amendment. My rant. MTG
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
It’ll be interesting to see what exactly happened here, and how it gets spun for public consumption.
Hopefully we’ll get more information.
Brandon Lee, IIRC, was killed by a squib load that left a projectile in the barrel that was driven out by a blank on the set.
There was another young actor back in the 80s I believe, who offed himself playing Russian Roulette with a blank loaded revolver.
Most Hollywood types know next to nothing when it comes to guns.
If Baldwin was playing around, I hope they fry the bastard. I can’t imagine what else might have happened.
7mm

I though hollywood guns were supposed to be non functional for live rounds...but why would someone have been firing rounds through a set gun anyhow? And to not check after a sqib? That seems outlandish even before you consier them issuing the same prop for a scene like the one in the crow...

When I was 22 years old my buddy was over and my dad had left his 44 mag sitting on the table while he went and did something. I heard my buddy say "Hey Paul" I turned and the 44 was pointing directly in my face and he said "Go ahead punk make my day".

I was pissed! I told him to put the gun down and if he ever pointed a gun at me again he'd better plan on killing me because if he didn't I was going to kill him.

I didn't know it but my dad had seen and heard the whole thing, a couple of days later he asked me If I'd really kill him, I said probably not but I'd definitely beat him with a baseball bat.

Dad thought that was pretty funny.

When I was 22 years old my buddy was over and my dad had left his 44 mag sitting on the table while he went and did something. I heard my buddy say "Hey Paul" I turned and the 44 was pointing directly in my face and he said "Go ahead punk make my day".

I was pissed! I told him to put the gun down and if he ever pointed a gun at me again he'd better plan on killing me because if he didn't I was going to kill him.

I didn't know it but my dad had seen and heard the whole thing, a couple of days later he asked me If I'd really kill him, I said probably not but I'd definitely beat him with a baseball bat.

I almost got shot in the forehead with my Sheridan pellet gun, sat it down and my buddy's little brother picked it up and pointed at me and shot i ducked and the pellet went through my cap.
Hollywood has gone to hell.

I almost got shot in the forehead with my Sheridan pellet gun, sat it down and my buddy's little brother picked it up and pointed at me and shot i ducked and the pellet went through my cap.

i still got pencil lead in my hand from a kid stabbing me with a pencil in grade school.
The Daily Beast writer is extremely ignorant of firearms and terms related to them. She writes several times, "misfire," yet hasn't a clue that "misfire" means the cartridge DID NOT FIRE.. Well whatever kind of round was in Baldwin's gun, it was not a "misfire." The cartridge fired and a woman died and a man was wounded.

I imagine Baldwin wishes desperately that the cartridge had actually "misfired."

FWIW.

L.W.
3 previous "misfires". It's no wonder the hired crew packed up and left citing unsafe working conditions.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

i still got pencil lead in my hand from a kid stabbing me with a pencil in grade school.

It would have killed me dumbass. went through a wall and into another, would shoot almost through a 2x4., my brother spent 4 hrs in surgery when he was shot in the leg/thigh with a 177 cal pellet gun, went to the bone.

More information coming out. Sounds like the entire production was a cluster fug just waiting to happen. And then it happened. From The Los Angeles Times.

L.W.

Some updates in this L.A. Times story.

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of “Rust” with a prop gun, a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set that day said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges on Saturday.

Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks, two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” said the crew member. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by The Times.

“The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company, " Rust Movie Productions said in a statement. “Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down. We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time.”

The tragedy occurred Thursday afternoon during filming of a gunfight that began in a church that is part of the old Western town at the ranch. Baldwin’s character was supposed to back out of the church, according to production notes obtained by The Times. It was the 12th day of a 21-day shoot.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was huddled around a monitor lining up her next camera shot when she was accidentally killed by Baldwin.

The actor was preparing to film a scene in which he pulls a gun out of a holster, according to a source close to the production. Crew members had already shouted “cold gun” on the New Mexico set. The filmmaking team was lining up its camera angles and had yet to retreat to the video village, an on-set area where the crew gathers to watch filming from a distance via a monitor.

Instead, the B-camera operator was on a dolly with a monitor, checking out the potential shots. Hutchins was also looking at the monitor from over the operator’s shoulder, as was the movie’s director, Joel Souza, who was crouching just behind her.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza. Hutchins immediately fell to the ground as crew members applied pressure to her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

Earlier in the day, the camera crew showed up for work as expected at 6:30 a.m. and began gathering up their gear and personal belongings to leave, one knowledgeable crew member told The Times.

Labor trouble had been brewing for days on the dusty set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.

Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the low-budget film said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe. That rankled crew members who worried that they might have an accident after spending 12 to 13 hours on the set.

Hutchins had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set and was tearful when the camera crew left.

“She said, ‘I feel like I’m losing my best friends,’” recalled one of the workers.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn’t leave voluntarily.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza Creek Ranch movie set, where filming was underway for the western “Rust,” after calls to 911 at 1:50 p.m. Thursday. Baldwin was starring in the movie in addition to serving as one of the producers.

No charges have been filed, but the Sheriff’s Office said that “witnesses continue to be interviewed by detectives.”

Baldwin said Friday he’s “fully cooperating with the police investigation” into the incident.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours,” Baldwin wrote Friday in a series of tweets.

Production has been halted on the low-budget movie.

In an email to its members, Local 44 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, a union that represents prop masters, said the shot that killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza on Thursday was “a live single round.”

“As many of us have already heard, there was an accidental weapons discharge on a production titled Rust being filmed in New Mexico,” said the North Hollywood-based local. “A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza. Both were rushed to the hospital,” the email said.

A source close to union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun being loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

Bonanza Creek Ranch has been a popular filming location for more than 60 years. The first movie to film there was “The Man From Laramie,” starring Jimmy Stewart. It also was the set for the classic “Blazing Saddles,” “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” and the popular TV show “Longmire.”

One of the financiers for “Rust” is Santa Monica-based lender BondIt Media Capital, founded in 2013 by Matthew Helderman and Luke Taylor. According to its website, BondIt finances movies through instruments including gap loans, bridge loans and tax credit financing.

The company has primarily financed low-budget movies including the Bruce Willis actioner “Hard Kill,” the Charlotte Kirk horror flick “The Reckoning” and the upcoming Robert De Niro film “Wash Me in the River,” directed by Randall Emmett.

BondIt was particularly active during the COVID-19 pandemic, stepping in to fill financing gaps as independent producers struggled to find backing for films during the public health crisis.

It would have killed me dumbass. went through a wall and into another, would shoot almost through a 2x4., my brother spent 4 hrs in surgery when he was shot in the leg/thigh with a 177 cal pellet gun, went to the bone.

whoa buddy, im on your side.
As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn’t leave voluntarily.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

So maybe the Union was mad enough to put a live round in before they left?
Would've been better if it was in Alec's mouth
I guess he figured they needed 2 shots?
The assistant director who handed him the revolver got his start on what movie? Wait for it. Wait for it. That’s right, The Crow.

Okay, edit. I read it again. He worked on The Crow: Salvation which was the sequel to The Crow.

whoa buddy, im on your side.
Sorry misunderstood intent of your comment
The Daily Beast writer is extremely ignorant of firearms and terms related to them. She writes several times, "misfire," yet hasn't a clue that "misfire" means

The LA Times writer apparently didn’t want to be outdone by the Beast.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza.
Hollywood getting more Looney Toons every day...

now Baldwin has killed someone..... he'll skate and they will pass the blame for it all to someone else.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The Daily Beast writer is extremely ignorant of firearms and terms related to them. She writes several times, "misfire," yet hasn't a clue that "misfire" means

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza.

Written by halfwits without comprehension of the subject.
Well you know Alec Baldwin didn't shoot the two people intentionally....

Less face it, he could only have hit them by accident.....

if he would have been aiming intentionally, this is a guy who couldn't hit Texas while standing on the Oklahoma/Texas state line...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Wow, the reporter knows his stuff. [/sarcasm]

It looks like it was more than a practice run and that there were crew there. The crew that had left 6 hours earlier were some of the union that was protesting the unsafe conditions (they were right). But there were replacement crew there and even the director of photography who was killed.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Hollywood getting more Looney Toons every day...

now Baldwin has killed someone..... he'll skate and they will pass the blame for it all to someone else.

Blame it on the NRA and gun culture.
I still don't get how anyone can pick up a gun and not verify personally whether it is loaded or not. Even then there isn't a reason to point it directly at anything you don't intend to shoot. Baldwin is an idiot of the first order and no matter a person's stance on guns it is their responsibility to maintain all forms of gun safety once it is in their hands.
I don't mean to be picking on you, JoeBob, but they've been making movies with guns for a long time now. Don't you think they have had time to evolve some pretty strict safety procedures? You could do things like put blaze orange pieces of plastic in flashholes for dummies or orange plastic cases for instances where you wanted to show bullets through the front of a cylinder, etc. It would be easy for a prop man to line up a cylinder so that the next cocking brings up the correct round.

This stuff isn't difficult and is well understood. Any actor/actress that doesn't understand this could be trained on it in a half hour or less.
There's no excuse why the actor can't be the last link in a chain of quality/safety control.
Hide & watch. It wasn’t Baldwin’s responsibility to “vet” the prop gun.
And if it wasn't his responsibility to do a final check on the gun, they should all lose their asses in court, including Baldwin.
It appears the armorer was a 24 year old "gunsmith" that said she didn't feel she was ready for the job. Apparently she wasn't.
I don't mean to be picking on you, JoeBob, but they've been making movies with guns for a long time now. Don't you think they have had time to evolve some pretty strict safety procedures? You could do things like put blaze orange pieces of plastic in flashholes for dummies or orange plastic cases for instances where you wanted to show bullets through the front of a cylinder, etc. It would be easy for a prop man to line up a cylinder so that the next cocking brings up the correct round.

This stuff isn't difficult and is well understood. Any actor/actress that doesn't understand this could be trained on it in a half hour or less.
There's no excuse why the actor can't be the last link in a chain of quality/safety control.

Well, let’s look at that for an instant. With a single action revolver, for the actor to be the last line of defense, he is going to have to spin the chamber past the loading gate on every cartridge. If he does that, how is the prop man going to line up the correct cylinder as you say? For an actor who is most likely a non gun guy, he is going to get the pistol, inexpertly check it, then probably have to hand it back to the prop guy again to get it right before shooting the scene.

In a normal situation, the first tell on a revolver is seeing the rims at the end of the cylinder. But that wouldn’t work with dummy rounds. So now your back to having the actor spin the cylinder. Maybe he looks at five chambers and not six. Maybe he is tired and missed the one.

The point is that gun handling in movies is inherently unsafe. You’re going to be doing things that an actual gun owner would never do. And the one thing that probably just isn’t accounted for on a professional movie set is an ACTUAL live round. Everything I’ve see on has the movie people referring to a blank as a “live round”. This was apparently a real 44-40 cartridge. How does that even happen? Why was there a live round within a mile of this set? That’s going to be outside of the experience of every actor in Hollywood on a movie set. It isn’t even something most of them would even contemplate. A hot blank, yeah, maybe. But a live round mixed in with some dummies? Yeah, no.

And for everyone who is on here saying that they would never point a real firearm at someone even with blanks, I’m just going to assume and know you are lying if you’ve been in the Army within the last forty years or so.
Gee, the diversity hire didn't work out so well.

I'm shocked!!!!!

And for everyone who is on here saying that they would never point a real firearm at someone even with blanks, I’m just going to assume and know you are lying if you’ve been in the Army within the last forty years or so.

The BFA on the end is red, easily visible, and it's that way for a reason.
A lot of actors in the 1950's 60's and even up to the 70's were WWII vets or were raised around guns. They knew how to handle them and make sure they were safe. Today, very few Hollywood actors really know guns. The exception being Tom Seleck, Keanu Reeves, and maybe Bruce Willis.

He should be tried for unintentional manslaughter.

Well, let’s look at that for an instant. With a single action revolver, for the actor to be the last line of defense, he is going to have to spin the chamber past the loading gate on every cartridge. If he does that, how is the prop man going to line up the correct cylinder as you say? For an actor who is most likely a non gun guy, he is going to get the pistol, inexpertly check it, then probably have to hand it back to the prop guy again to get it right before shooting the scene.

In a normal situation, the first tell on a revolver is seeing the rims at the end of the cylinder. But that wouldn’t work with dummy rounds. So now your back to having the actor spin the cylinder. Maybe he looks at five chambers and not six. Maybe he is tired and missed the one.

The point is that gun handling in movies is inherently unsafe. You’re going to be doing things that an actual gun owner would never do. And the one thing that probably just isn’t accounted for on a professional movie set is an ACTUAL live round. Everything I’ve see on has the movie people referring to a blank as a “live round”. This was apparently a real 44-40 cartridge. How does that even happen? Why was there a live round within a mile of this set? That’s going to be outside of the experience of every actor in Hollywood on a movie set. It isn’t even something most of them would even contemplate. A hot blank, yeah, maybe. But a live round mixed in with some dummies? Yeah, no.

One can check and double check the gun, but there is still no reason to ever point it at someone or something you don’t intend to shoot. It is the actor’s ultimate responsibility to adhere to this and find a way to reposition so this isn’t the case. Stop the scene and tell the director that adjustments need to be made so no one is at risk including the crew. The film viewers wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if done properly.
Originally Posted by goalie

Oh, so you’re saying that violating one of the central tenets of firearms safety is okay under certain highly regulated conditions?

Oh, so you’re saying that violating one of the central tenets of firearms safety is okay under certain highly regulated conditions?

I'm saying we trained with them in the Corps and didn't kill each other by accident. We understood what we were doing, why we were doing it, and used a visible device that didn't allow live ammo too be fired or the end of the barrel.

If you were dumb enough to snuggle a live round, load it, and shoot it with a BFA on your rifle, YOU were gonna be the one getting hurt........

I'm saying we trained with them in the Corps and didn't kill each other by accident. We understood what we were doing, why we were doing it, and used a visible device that didn't allow love ammo too be fired or the end of the barrel.

If you were dumb enough to snuggle a live round, load it, and shoot it with a BFA on your rifle, YOU were gonna be the one getting hurt........

So violating one of the central tenets of gun safety is okay as long as it’s regulated and no one gets hurt? Got it.

I'm saying we trained with them in the Corps and didn't kill each other by accident. We understood what we were doing, why we were doing it, and used a visible device that didn't allow love ammo too be fired or the end of the barrel.

So violating one of the central tenets of gun safety is okay as long as it’s regulated and no one gets hurt? Got it.

It's called training. I'll wait for your detailed explanation of how you propose to have a CAX without anyone pointing a weapon at anyone else.

Or maybe you just think the military should have more gender studies safety briefs and not train.

🙄

The actor could load the gun with the prop man's assistance in lining up the cylinders. That way there'd be 2 sets of eyes on each cartridge too.

Amen to all of that!!
I understand it would have taken extra time to set up, but couldn't the camera have been remotely operated? For rehearsal, just take a few stills? Alec could have backed up to an "X" in the dust that was pre-positioned.
It appears the armorer was a 24 year old "gunsmith" that said she didn't feel she was ready for the job. Apparently she wasn't.

There's lots of young people that know their stuff. Unfortunately, self-assurance usually only comes with age.
Easy to bag on Baldwin. He’s a douchebag.

But the puzzle may really be, on a movie set, when there are scenes wherein the muzzle is, by plan/script, pointed at the camera, or pointed at an individual, what then is considered unsafe? So, in movie making, it’s not as simple as we make it while hunting or sport shooting, as to simply muzzle-control and all will be fine even should there be an error made in handling.

What i wonder is, what was Baldwin DOING when this firearm fired? Was he in a scene where he was instructed to be pointing the revolver (?) directly where he was, and instructed to be pulling the trigger in the shot? Can’t blame him, then. The firearm’s prep by the armorer and whatever safety protocols they have, are at fault in that scenario.

On the other hand, if he was f’ing around with said revolver, outside the scene/filming, or, in the scene but not pointing the weapon where he was instructed to/expected to per training, then yeah, the death is on him due negligence, any armorer’s “mistake” being no excuse.

Thus far, all i’ve read is the scapegoating of the armorer. It’s only human to blame someone else in an event like this, at least initially kneejerk in the shick of what happened, and particularly if one is a Hollywood self-absorbed douchebag who hates guns, no doubt. But, be interesting to hear eventually WHAT the real context of the shooting was, per above.

It's called training. I'll wait for your detailed explanation of how you propose to have a CAX without anyone pointing a weapon at anyone else.

Or maybe you just think the military should have more gender studies safety briefs and not train.

🙄

It’s called making a movie as realistically as possible with gun play involved. I’ll give you an explanation on that as soon as you give me one on how an actor can do everything required without to some degree relying on someone else with regard to gun safety and doing a few things that would never be done in a normal gun handling situation.
She's probably HAWT.

There's lots of young people that know their stuff. Unfortunately, self-assurance usually only comes with age.
I read online that she is Thell Reed's daughter. He is quite well known as a quick-draw shooter.

🙄

It’s called making a movie as realistically as possible with gun play involved. I’ll give you an explanation on that as soon as you give me one on how an actor can do everything required without to some degree relying on someone else with regard to gun safety and doing a few things that would never be done in a normal gun handling situation.

????

Where did I say any of that?

I'm just shocked the 24y/o diversity hire didn't pan out......

🙄

????

Where did I say any of that?

I'm just shocked the 24y/o diversity hire didn't pan out......

She wasn’t a diversity hire. Her dad is the best firearms guy in Hollywood. She got the job because it was assumed she was taught well by him.
there is absolutely no reason for a live round to be anywhere near a movie set.

She wasn’t a diversity hire. Her dad is the best firearms guy in Hollywood. She got the job because it was assumed she was taught well by him.

You would think there has to be considerable training and certifications to work in the business.
For a live round to get there was some sort of incredible, almost inexplicable frickup, to some intentional and evil schit. As an accident, it’s so hard to explain that the intentional almost looks more likely.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Easy to bag on Baldwin. He’s a douchebag.

But the puzzle may really be, on a movie set, when there are scenes wherein the muzzle is, by plan/script, pointed at the camera, or pointed at an individual, what then is considered unsafe? So, in movie making, it’s not as simple as we make it while hunting or sport shooting, as to simply muzzle-control and all will be fine even should there be an error made in handling.

What i wonder is, what was Baldwin DOING when this firearm fired? Was he in a scene where he was instructed to be pointing the revolver (?) directly where he was, and instructed to be pulling the trigger in the shot? Can’t blame him, then. The firearm’s prep by the armorer and whatever safety protocols they have, are at fault in that scenario.

On the other hand, if he was f’ing around with said revolver, outside the scene/filming, or, in the scene but not pointing the weapon where he was instructed to/expected to per training, then yeah, the death is on him due negligence, any armorer’s “mistake” being no excuse.

Thus far, all i’ve read is the scapegoating of the armorer. It’s only human to blame someone else in an event like this, at least initially kneejerk in the shick of what happened, and particularly if one is a Hollywood self-absorbed douchebag who hates guns, no doubt. But, be interesting to hear eventually WHAT the real context of the shooting was, per above.

From what I’ve read Baldwin was rehearsing a scene while the crew was setting up the cameras that would be operating remotely while filming. He did a run through first where nothing happened, the second time the gun fired towards the camera with the people there.

For a live round to get there was some sort of incredible, almost inexplicable frickup, to some intentional and evil schit. As an accident, it’s so hard to explain that the intentional almost looks more likely.

Somebody here stated that there were reports of the "original" armorer shooting live rounds between scenes, over a hill off the filming set prior to the incident. I'm sure the truth will come out at some point, the pizzed off Union members won't protect the guilty party that's for sure.

But live ammo on a film set is mind boggling at best.
As much as I dislike the guy, I hope for Alex sake it was an accident. I wonder if any phone messages will appear like he left his daughter.
I detest Baldwin and the guy deserves all crap flung at him regardless if he is responsible or not.
News says live round in Hollywood lingo doesn't necessarily mean primer, powder and bullet. It means it'll go pow in some way. It'll be interesting to learn what the projectile actually was.
There shouldn't be live rounds on the set, period. If the projectiles needs to be seen in the cylinder, empty case, no live primer loads only..
NEVER POINT A GUN at something U don't want to kill!!!!!

That idiot is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.
Originally Posted by boatammo
NEVER POINT A GUN at something U don't want to kill!!!!!

That idiot is not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

my pistols that are on or in my dresser on a nightstand by the bed are always pointed towards the outside wall even if unloaded, creeps me out if they are pointed towards me just laying there.
Who posted the video of the guy trying to kill a high point?
Concrete in the barrel, quick steel in the barrel, drilled a couple of holes and put nails through the barrel...
Most every one sent a projectile (or some portion thereof) and the obstruction through a target at 7yds..
That little cross they put in cap guns and starter pistols is not something to bet your life on...

There is also the story about the guy that created the "Mares Leg" hollywood shortened lever action...
I can’t even point a finger at someone pretending it’s a gun, I expect most people familiar with guns are the same way.

Got me to wondering how much Baldwin had handled and shot guns on his own time.
As I said in one of the other Baldwin threads...I wonder if there is video of Baldwin playing Trump on SNL saying...

"I could shoot someone and not lose any votes".
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Take your 69 posts and shove them up your ass, idiot. Out of about 14 million movies made with guns over the last hundred years, Alec Baldwin shoots someone and you dumb [bleep] think you’re smarter than everyone who has done it.

I bet you are the type of guy to throw a loaded 270 at kin.
© 24hourcampfire