Home
I gotta have one! My MKIII needs company.
made in America or in Turkey?
Just checked, made in the USA.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

According to the presser, it's made in the USA.

Now, whether that's from overseas parts "assembled" here (probably so, that that price point) or not, it's hard to tell. They DID say that the hammer and sear were engineered in the US to better serve the US market tastes (better trigger pulls, less hammer bite). A new HP at $700 MSRP is big news, regardless.
I got on "the list" at Kentucky Gun Company, so I could handle one when they come in. I won't buy one without putting my mitts on it first. I love a good Hi Power.

NO MAG SAFETY!!!! About time someone got rid of that abomination.
Remember the Springfield 1911 frame was once made in Brazil but gun was marked Made In USA..
Wonder how many times this pistol needs to be reintroduced before the industry realizes that very few people actually find them very useful?
I might end up with one, despite already having a late model offered by Browning.
Odd that he says it uses Mec-Gar Hi-Power mags, which (they say) hold 15 rounds, but I just took delivery of two Mec-Gar Hi Power mags, and they are clearly marked for 13 rounds.
It'll be fun to look at.
TRH, mec gar makes 10 13 and 15 rnd bhp mags.
I'll wait to get the final verdict from Hickok45. grin
Originally Posted by Raferman

Damn. Would have been nice to know that.

I just checked, and Mec-Gar is out of stock on the 15 rounders. Springfield must have bought them all up.
If you didn't have to carry them all the time, they would be a great choice. They aren't still around because they suck.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I just checked, and Mec-Gar is out of stock on the 15 rounders. Springfield must have bought them all up.

Greg Cotes has 15 rounders in stock.
Back in the late 60s could've bought one from a co-worker who had just gotten out of the Army, for a hundred bucks, As new, since he'd only fired it a few times after getting home from Germany. Been tempted several times since to get one, never got around to it? Have shot Hi Powers that others owned and liked them. Just wasn't a big 9mm fan back then.

Once had a SA 1911A1, loaded version. Mine said Brazil on the bottom of the frame, ahead of the trigger guard IIRC? Been several years since I sold it. Like the Ruger SR1911 "Commander" that replaced it, much better.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Remember the Springfield 1911 frame was once made in Brazil but gun was marked Made In USA..
mine is marked FI Brazil as well as Geneseo, IL
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Greg Cotes has 15 rounders in stock.

Thanks. Ordered two. Says they're Regent mags, but I suspect they will work with a Browning Hi Power, too, since that's a clone.
Originally Posted by GeoW

Plenty of boutique, and not so boutique, 1911 owners would be surprised to find out where the forging was born.
Appears it will be priced right.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/handguns/semi-auto/sa-35-handgun-prod144656.aspx?
I think they should make a model with room to mount a red dot and a rail for a light. Awesome pistoles but they will die without these, IMO
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wonder how many times this pistol needs to be reintroduced before the industry realizes that very few people actually find them very useful?

The Brownings were always high dollar and back in the day 9mms were snubbed. Everyone that has handled my Hi Power and FEG Hi Power copy commented how good they feel compared to other high capacity pistols. Glocks and Berettas are too thick in the grip area for me. IMO the only thing the plastic gripped pistols have going for them is weight. A good holster and belt take care of that.
I'll wait to get the final verdict from Hickok45. grin

Shirley! you can't be serious?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don't know, I had just about decided to go with a $9K 10mm Luger, but I'm thinking I just might grab fifteen of these instead.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ore-fun-than-all-the-others#Post16549047
I like it! Probably will have to get one.

Wish it had checkered front strap and back strap.

I had a 4" SA in .45 was rather slick in my hands with no checkering. Frame looked very similar.

Mike
For $699, I’ll take one right friggin now!
How long before one is actually available?
Originally Posted by gregintenn
For $699, I’ll take one right friggin now!
How long before one is actually available?

I put myself on the Brownells waiting list for one.
I'll do one for sure.
I like it at that price. My beat up old Browning is my desk-drawer pistol at work. I could see having one “done right” for a fun gun.
I think I will get one or two....just because...I have two sons....so heirlooms.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
I think I will get one or two....just because...I have two sons....so heirlooms.

Three here... No rush though.
I'll have to get one. One of my south African friends was a recce in the border war with Angola. He used to talk about his high power that had a rifle stock he could attach to to it. Many of my Rhodesia friends spoke often about their hi powers too. The cz 75 was also pretty popular there.

Bb
I like the hi power because it fits me and i shoot it well.My 1976 Hi power is starting to show its age,i was thinking about sending it to Robar or Cylinder & Slide for an upgrade and a re finish.
Might pick up one of these just to have.
I'm glad it is back. Improved trigger makes it nice. Hope they make a polished version in deep blue some day. I'd add it to my BHP collection.

The video does show some plastic bias. Typical now days. They just don't get it.

...yet

My distributor listing (RSR Group) shows the SA-35 as a Girsan...so a Turkish gun manufacturer is punching them out for Springfield? Made under license?

https://www.girsan.com/
Figures. But still a cool gun with some improvements on the original.
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

My distributor listing (RSR Group) shows the SA-35 as a Girsan...so a Turkish gun manufacturer is punching them out for Springfield? Made under license?

That company specializes in copying classic designs whose patents have expired.

This is also an offering of theirs. A Beretta 92.

[Linked Image from girsan.com]
Figures. But still a cool gun with some improvements on the original.

Yep, I was not trying to out you, understand. I am looking for the actual situation. Not really up for ordering 50 or 100 pistols which won't be that attractive to most shooters.

As far as I can tell, the MADE IN TURKEY label is a turn off and leads to lower selling prices.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

I had a 4" SA in .45 was rather slick in my hands with no checkering. Frame looked very similar.

Mike

High Powers are usually stippled instead of checkered. I'm not sure why but the steel maybe a little thin to checker.

Wow! That’s gorgeous. 😳
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Mike

High Powers are usually stippled instead of checkered. I'm not sure why but the steel maybe a little thin to checker.

That'd do!! Thanks!

Like my Agency treated Glock laugh .....Sort of

Mike
https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/

a lot better finish on this one
Originally Posted by hardin284
I think they should make a model with room to mount a red dot and a rail for a light. Awesome pistoles but they will die without these, IMO

No, this is not one of those, this is a resurrection of a "purists gun", and I think to add those features would detract from sales. There's enough "Wundernines" out there with all of that, these are for a different clientele. This won't be a seller to a guy that would otherwise be looking for a Sig 320 or a G19MOS.
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
No, this is not one of those, this is a resurrection of a "purists gun", and I think to add those features would detract from sales. There's enough "Wundernines" out there with all of that, these are for a different clientele. This won't be a seller to a guy that would otherwise be looking for a Sig 320 or a G19MOS.

Springfield's website pictures are definitely appealing to a retro point of view.

[Linked Image from d7g7q7y3.stackpathcdn.com]

If ya want a range toy 9mm there it is.

Pretty, comfy and nice trigger.

I had one yrs ago, yanked the mag disco and changed sights, added C&S safety.

Nice rig. Shot great.

Aint nothin wrong w a P35, even if taken off the range wink
In the olden days Hi-Powers were sometimes referred to as "Fighting Pistols".
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

Girsan may also be making one but this one is said to be made in Springfield, IL.

https://fieldethos.com/springfield-sa-35-the-hi-power-returns/
Originally Posted by hookeye
If ya want a range toy 9mm there it is.

Pretty, comfy and nice trigger.

I had one yrs ago, yanked the mag disco and changed sights, added C&S safety.

Nice rig. Shot great.

Aint nothin wrong w a P35, even if taken off the range wink

Sounds like mine. Yanked the mag disconnect last week. Doing so took a few pounds off the trigger pull, and eliminated all the sponginess in the take up.

[Linked Image]

Holy fudge.

Nobody has fingered one yet, and the snobbery is already a thing.

This thing will appeal to boomers and even older guys.
Squinty eyed dudes.
Right after they squint over the sights, some will want a dot.

Like 1911s, would buy a HP in a heartbeat. If it was cheap enough.
Same with a CZ. (Too many guns to need anyyhing, or pay too much)

But let's be real.
These are guns built for a specific purpose.
Time and tech has marched on. If they weren't obsolete,
They would be commonly issued. They are actually about
2 gun generations behind.

Junk?

Hell no. I can appreciate well machined tools as much as the next guy.
They are beautiful when well done.

But to insinuate they are somehow better than the newer generation,
that's foolish.

Love my 1911. Just to sit and mess with it is satisfying.
Very nice to shoot. But when I want a tool?
I can pick up a lighter, higher capacity, more durable,
weather resistant tool.
Originally Posted by poboy
In the olden days Hi-Powers were sometimes referred to as "Fighting Pistols".

So were Walker Colts, and AT THE TIME, they were. There's nothing wrong with a BHP to take in harms way, there are better tools available 85 years later though.
They're made in the US, not Turkey.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

But let's be real.
They would be commonly issued.

Um, it is commonly still issued.

But let's be real.
They would be commonly issued.

By what first world, well equipped units.
That have funding and are equipped with modern gear.

Repeat, they are not junk.
Not even close. I wouldn't hesitate to have one in a glovebox,
or a 1911.

HMC. mentioned Walker Colt's.
Sure wouldn't choose that for the glove box. (Big dam glove box)
But if it had been loaded recently and ANTIFA was beating on the glass.
It would be darn nice to have.
But not as nice as a Glock, M&P, or 320.
I believe Canada still issues them.

Hawkeye;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been decent to you and you're well.

As far as I'm aware the Canadian Armed Forces is still issuing Inglis made HP to everyone but some of the door kickers. I want to say JTF2 use something else, perhaps a Sig of some sort?

Talking to guys who used them in Afghanistan, the only gripe was lousy magazines, but otherwise I didn't hear any reports of them not working.

Up to a couple years ago Australia still issued them, but I'm not sure what they're issuing now.

There's talk of replacing the Inglis with a polymer frame pistol, but as fast as the Armed Forces gets anything procurement wise accomplished, everyone else will have phazers before they get it all done.

All the best to you sir as the days get shorter.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'd say Turkey. Springfield Armory claims that parts are "engineered" in the USA.. doesn't mean manufactured here.
I already have a craptastic plastic pistol, but these intrigue me, as it's damned near a carbon copy of the old Mk II I had back in the 1990s. It was one helluva shooter, I flat-wore that thing out. Yeah, I wanna recreate those "good old days" and there's not a danged thing wrong with that (and I shoot them a lot better than the craptastic plastic, too).
I also dote on 1911s and revolvers, how about that?
Not yanking anyone's chain; I'm genuinely curious. What is it about THIS gun that renders it "obsolete" ?

Yup and totally functional. It is however a couple hundred bucks more expensive than the typical tupperware POS, and doesn't have the 9lb trigger that police departments require to keep their knuckledraggers from shooting themselves and each other, so it will never be a big seller in that market.
Originally Posted by longarm
Not yanking anyone's chain; I'm genuinely curious. What is it about THIS gun that renders it "obsolete" ?

Feature-wise, a good BHP is superior to nearly every commonly issued 9mm. Big sights, plenty of capacity, good trigger, good ergonomics.
You can stop being a kchunt anytime lamebob.
And BTW gen five glocks are going for about the same.
I think I'll be needing one
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Hawkeye;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been decent to you and you're well.

As far as I'm aware the Canadian Armed Forces is still issuing Inglis made HP to everyone but some of the door kickers. I want to say JTF2 use something else, perhaps a Sig of some sort?

Talking to guys who used them in Afghanistan, the only gripe was lousy magazines, but otherwise I didn't hear any reports of them not working.

Up to a couple years ago Australia still issued them, but I'm not sure what they're issuing now.

There's talk of replacing the Inglis with a polymer frame pistol, but as fast as the Armed Forces gets anything procurement wise accomplished, everyone else will have phazers before they get it all done.

All the best to you sir as the days get shorter.

Dwayne

Same to you, Dwayne.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
They're made in the US, not Turkey.

Thanks Bob.

Your point is clarified- further investigation reveals that Girsan is making their own version of the Hi Power, but the Springfield version is made in Geneseo, IL.
Originally Posted by longarm

Know I used that term, so, my opinion.

Technology has moved on.
The "craptastic" pistols work very well.
Are durable, reliable, corrosion resistant, lighter,
cheaper to make/buy, simpler manual of arms.

Gotta laugh when cheaper is treated as bad.
Cheaper is always better if performance is not impaired.
Guns are expensive. Issuing agencies buy a bunch. It adds up.

Think of muscle cars.
The High Power is kinda like them.
Desirable for form and nostalgia.

Obsolete?

As in junk? Hell no!

As in not very many people that love them would choose them as daily
drivers over much distance. Nor for bad winter driving. Or for cross country
trips in August. Some might. Most just enjoy the style, the nostalgia,
The sound, the old school performance. Some, enjoy the wrenching they
require.

But comparing a 67 Camaro to a 2021 Camaro,
You gotta admit "We've come a long way Baby".
So when they do one in stainless w a red dot cut itll suffice?
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I already have a craptastic plastic pistol, but these intrigue me, as it's damned near a carbon copy of the old Mk II I had back in the 1990s. It was one helluva shooter, I flat-wore that thing out. Yeah, I wanna recreate those "good old days" and there's not a danged thing wrong with that (and I shoot them a lot better than the craptastic plastic, too).
I also dote on 1911s and revolvers, how about that?

I like it and can identify!
Ill proly buy the old school blued version, after i get a VP9.

I want one smile
And everyone is already sold out of Mec Gar 15 rd magazines
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is the image I was trying to post earlier. Finish appears to be a polished blue to me.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is the image I was trying to post earlier. Finish appears to be a polished blue to me.

Nope. Dull.
They'd have to charge at least 200 bones more for a high polish.
The thing about a good HP and for that matter the 1911 is that, if you have to get in a gunfight with a handgun, there is really nothing better. They are not the cheapest. They are not the lightest to carry. They are not the most rustproof (although you can FNC or shake-n-bake either reasonably cheaply). They do not have the simplest controls. But they are the best at the one thing they were designed to do. The ergonomics are great. The triggers are great. You can get hits more reliably and faster with them than with anything else that doesn't have a compensator. That's why they remain relevant.
The thing about a good HP and for that matter the 1911 is that, if you have to get in a gunfight with a handgun, there is really nothing better. They are not the cheapest. They are not the lightest to carry. They are not the most rustproof (although you can FNC or shake-n-bake either reasonably cheaply). They do not have the simplest controls. But they are the best at the one thing they were designed to do. The ergonomics are great. The triggers are great. You can get hits more reliably and faster with them than with anything else that doesn't have a compensator. That's why they remain relevant.

I have to agree with this.
As in not very many people that love them would choose them as daily
drivers over much distance. Nor for bad winter driving. Or for cross country
trips in August. Some might. Most just enjoy the style, the nostalgia,
The sound, the old school performance. Some, enjoy the wrenching they
require.

An epic load of horse [bleep]. I just can't figure if you're serious.

I have to agree with this.

Nonsense
Not nonsense. Fact. From a guy who can run his Glock with pretty much anybody, the G17 hits where I look because I have put many thousands of rounds of live ammo and more dry fire practice into making it do that. The 1911 and BHP hit where I look after MUCH less familiarization. They simply fit me, whereas the Glock works great, lasts ungodly well, and is accurate, but took a lot of practice to make it instinctive for me. There are many others who would tell you the same.

John Moses Browning knew how to make a gun fit the hand. Knew putting the bore axis low in the hand was important. Some modern makers could pay more attention to such things.
Some of you guys could start an argument about pie and ice cream....

I’m not a Hi Power “fan”. At $1000-$1200, they just don’t do it for me, personally. I’ve owned several CZ75’s, and back when you could pick one up for less than $400, they were a helluva deal. Most I see now are pushing $600 or more. I still like ‘em, but not a “deal”, for a gun finished in black paint.

This new Hi Power, at a price point of $600-$650, looks like a “deal”. Forged frame/slide. Great fit/finish. Walnut grips.

It’s good to see a NEW, good quality, all steel, classic pistol on the market, at a good price. Would I buy one for EDC??? No.

Would I buy one to play with on the range?? Hell, yes.

I look forward to a $750 “Capitan” model, with a 500-yard ladder sight, because, “Why the hell not???”.
Dillonbuck,
Thanks for the reply. I see your points. I think that for me however this SA-35 checks an awful lot of boxes and I plan to get one.
It's larger and heavier than some, yes. But slimmer than many ( including the CZ75). I'm a fairly large guy and I'm not concerned about the extra weight. Recently bought a couple of stout Hank's belts, very happy about that. Currently carry a full sized 1911.
Difference in price between this gun and a subcompact polymer 9 is not significant enough to make a difference for me as I'm not buying a truckload of them just the one.
Anyway lots of options to enjoy, no fun owning only one!
Better than guns that use switches instead of triggers.

Modern plastic Tonka trucks suck too. My grandkids tell me that. They know toys.
They are cool. Well done, super cool.
And they will do everything they always have.
I'd darn sure enjoy playing with one, if it didn't bite.
And thankfully there isn't any law (yet) that we all have to
use the same tools.

As for price, that's retail.
Plastic guns have a tremendous margin.
In competitive bidding, if you can believe rumors,
they are sold for a fraction of the price we would pay.

Forged, machined guns cost a lot more to make.
I want one, and I will tell you, a stock BHP trigger is anything BUT "good", BUT, you can MAKE it good without too much work. If I find one of these at a good price, I'll grab it as a companion to my Browning GP Comp, which, with old Navidrex checkered grips with palm swells and a C&S safety, points and shoots like a magic wand. Some people that grew up around them really came to love the way one felt. I even liked the Pachmayr grips that came on the Practical models back in the 90's.
Nice pistol, wish it had an ambi safety and mag release.
Ok, for those of you with experience with Browning High Power pistols. How do they function with hollow point defensive type ammo. I have been told and have read that BHP will only work 100% reliable with hardball ammo or hollow points with very small openings. Is this true or not for all BHP or just the older models?
Whomever told you that is extremely ill informed period. That said older BHPs are not +P rated.
So are these new Springfield P35 rated for +P? Where can that info be found?
Originally Posted by rufous
So are these new Springfield P35 rated for +P? Where can that info be found?

Yes, +P rated. Very few are for sale yet although a couple are on gunbroker.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Ok, for those of you with experience with Browning High Power pistols. How do they function with hollow point defensive type ammo. I have been told and have read that BHP will only work 100% reliable with hardball ammo or hollow points with very small openings. Is this true or not for all BHP or just the older models?

I'm about the 3,345,567th greatest living expert on Hi Powers but IIRC the feed ramp angle or shape was changed sometime in the late 70's or 80's to provide better reliability with the hollow point ammo that was just becoming more widespread.

Those of you ranked 1,000,000th highest expert or above feel free to expound on this.
The 'hump' was removed from the feed ramp with the advent of the Mk II in 1982. However, prior to Mec-Gar the magazines held the round at a flatter angle for hardball. In my experience simply switching to Mec-Gar mags solved any problems and the humped barrel ran just fine.
I just looked up the manufacture date of my Browning Hi Power. It was made in 2009. So that was 9 years before they stopped offering it.
Originally Posted by JOG
The 'hump' was removed from the feed ramp with the advent of the Mk II in 1982. However, prior to Mec-Gar the magazines held the round at a flatter angle for hardball. In my experience simply switching to Mec-Gar mags solved any problems and the humped barrel ran just fine.

This ^^^

The old ones (humped ramp) were sometimes picky with OAL loading the old (first design) Gold dots.

As far as +P 9mm in older BHP models. Just don't shoot a $h!t load of it.

https://hipowersandhandguns.com/classic_hi_power%20sport%20model.htm

Some good info here.^^^
© 24hourcampfire