Home
Posted By: Hypocrite Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
I was in a car accident Saturday night, broke 8 ribs, and bruised one kidney.

Too say it’s painful is a yuge understatement, for people with broken rib experience how long am I looking before I can do some light activity like duck hunting in a bling or shirt bird hunts in light cover.

I’m 33 years old probably 30 pounds over weight and at this point I can’t sit up without help.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
6 weeks minimum for mild fractures.
6 months
Are they planning to plate any of the ribs?

4-6 weeks if you are a tough sob or die-hard waterfowler.

Longer if not.

😬
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
will hurt for several weeks

I ended up sleeping with one arm under my chest to keep pressure off a cracked rib, not sure that’s do-able with 8 cracked…

A 6 weeks to couple months is normal… but with multiples maybe longer
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Took me 6+ weeks for TWO broken ribs and a bruised lung. I would imagine it depends on the severity of the fractures, but 8 ribs would take longer I am guessing. What's the doc say?
Posted By: WMR Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
6 months

Probably this. EIGHT broken ribs? Man, that sounds like some trauma! Glad you walked away. It makes me hurt just to read about it.
Posted By: kciH Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
6-8 weeks.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Tore a rib loose from my sternum playing softball it took longer than when I broke a couple,
Posted By: WMR Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Duck hunters, sheesh. Some guys will go to any length to get their partner to deal with the decoys!
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
About 7 years ago I fell out of a tree and broke 14 ribs. Nearly died.

I had to sleep in a borrowed recliner for 5 weeks and then it was at least another month before I could sleep comfortably in bed.

Busted ribs are no fun.

You're a young guy, recovery time oughta be shorter.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Best therapy is sniffing pepper. A few sneezes will fix you right up.
Originally Posted by WMR
6 months

Probably this. EIGHT broken ribs? Man, that sounds like some trauma! Glad you walked away. It makes me hurt just to read about it.

Yup.
30# overweight and can’t even sit up without help?
6 months.

1 or 2 ribs? Sure, 6 weeks.
This fella needs to start looking at spring to be pain free.

2 months for me - both times. 3 each.
Not a doctor…..

8 ribs means both sides?
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Not a doctor…..

8 ribs means both sides?

4 fractures in each side
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21

Airbag deployment broke the ribs?
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
Not a doctor…..

8 ribs means both sides?

4 fractures in each side

Hurtin’ unit, by golly.

Take your meds on a schedule.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
My best friend got bucked off of his mule last fall. Broke 8 ribs on his left side and popped his lung. It took him several weeks before he could do most anything. The worst part, he said, was when 6 days after he was released from the hospital, he had to go back in because he couldn’t schit. The pain meds had just about completely stopped him up. He said that it took nearly 4 liters of solution to unplug him. He also said that when everything broke free, people in the parking lot heard him holler. He felt so bad for the nurse that helped him, he got her a $200 gift card.
Originally Posted by Gristle
My best friend got bucked off of his mule last fall. Broke 8 ribs on his left side and popped his lung. It took him several weeks before he could do most anything. The worst part, he said, was when 6 days after he was released from the hospital, he had to go back in because he couldn’t schit. The pain meds had just about completely stopped him up. He said that it took nearly 4 liters of solution to unplug him. He also said that when everything broke free, people in the parking lot heard him holler. He felt so bad for the nurse that helped him, he got her a $200 gift card.

Colace or Walmart equivalent (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-S...fe81dfad5f732acf0935b0e&gclsrc=3p.ds)
is your huckleberry.

Glad you made it out of that steel trap alive
I know someone who broke them on one side who had the same pain a month later than he did the same day. He could not cough, breath deeply, or sleep on that side. There was something he learned that helped.
I finally defrosted and cleaned my freezer and it's Way past my bed time. Remind me PM if I don't get back here tomorrow and I'll explain exactly what he did. It will take a little while, but he fully recovered quick afterwards.

Later,

HC
In the mean time, get a .410. Best of luck.
Posted By: las Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
A duck ain't worth pushing it. I'd say 8 weeks minimum.

Ya gotta breath, but no deep breaths if you can avoid them, at least at first. You will find out quick coughing, sneezing, laughing, bending wrong, force farting, bowel straining, etc is to be avoided if possible.

Make friends with your recliner.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Youre screwed

Gonna be hurting for a good few weeks.

I popped something about a month ago under my bottom rib, still hurts lay on my right side in the bed.
How many of the posters here remember how tough you were at 30? Yeah, it’s going to hurt, but if he’s a duck hunter, he’s used to pain. 😉
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I know someone who broke them on one side who had the same pain a month later than he did the same day. He could not cough, breath deeply, or sleep on that side. There was something he learned that helped.
I finally defrosted and cleaned my freezer and it's Way past my bed time. Remind me PM if I don't get back here tomorrow and I'll explain exactly what he did. It will take a little while, but he fully recovered quick afterwards.

Later,

HC

Of course you do.

Be sure to post up your charlatan shít here for all to see what snake oil you’re selling.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
When I fell, I broke 6 ribs and I blowed out a lung. But I had so many other injuries that I hurt all over. I was in the hospital 70 days and couldn't take a real deep breath when I got out.
I pee myself thinking about 8. I only broke two, twice, a SAR training accident and got thrown off Ben, the mule. I re-injure them every couple years doing the dumbest things! If you are active , they will let you know how much recovery time you need!
Posted By: Strider1 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Tore a rib loose from my sternum playing softball it took longer than when I broke a couple,

Tore one loose from coughing, due to bronchitis.
Chiropractor laughed and said "it's gonna be gettin ya for a long time"

Can't even sasy how long it hurt.
Quite a few months with certain movements.

So long that I got used to it.
Then, one day I realized it hadn't hurt in awhile.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
I’m 33 years old probably 30 pounds over weight and at this point I can’t sit up without help.

Bummer ........ Wait till you sneeze.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Sneeze
Fart
Burp
Cough
Laugh
Move
Hiccup

It all hurts like nothing I’ve ever experienced. Not as tough as I thought I was for sure. LOL
Posted By: hanco Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
A couple of months. Don’t push it. Couple ibuprofen morning and evening will help get the soreness out.
Originally Posted by hanco
A couple of months. Don’t push it. Couple ibuprofen morning and evening will help get the soreness out.

I had the idea that I could do this without narcotics because I’ve never taken one and wanted to keep it that way.

Not a chance if that happening.
Broke several ribs when the strap broke on my saddle as I was coming up out of a ditch and the majority of my weight was shifted to one stirrup. It was several months before I could sleep on year side again. Hurt to cough for a long time also.
Posted By: trplem Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Four broken ribs here, all on the left side. It hurt to do much of anything for a week or so. They were healed up after about 6 weeks. Pain management was very aggressive, essentially Vicodin as needed. That had more to do with the broken shoulder and shattered femur than the ribs though.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Later,

HC

Of course you do.

Be sure to post up your charlatan shít here for all to see what snake oil you’re selling.

I didn't know wild pigs were common in Alaska.
Learn something new every day. I'm told not to cast my pearls before swine. That goes for Alaskan swine.

You know I've never sold a thing here, but it's easy for pathological liers like yourself to make railing accusations and hope some fool believes it.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by hanco

I had the idea that I could do this without narcotics because I’ve never taken one and wanted to keep it that way.

Not a chance if that happening.

You can. My ribs hurt me the worst when I tried laying in bed to sleep. Recliner took care of that. I started being able to do things, like cough and laugh and not hurt at about 3 weeks. You'll know when you do too much. No pain medication of any kind for me either.
I didn't know wild pigs were common in Alaska.
Learn something new every day. I'm told not to cast my pearls before swine. That goes for Alaskan swine.

You know I've never sold a thing here, but it's easy for pathological liers like yourself to make railing accusations and hope some fool believes it.

Similarly, "snake oil salesman" is a common expression used to describe someone who sells, promotes, or is a general proponent of some valueless or fraudulent cure, remedy, or solution.

Glad to see you still toggle.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21

Sneeze
Fart
Burp
Cough
Laugh
Move
Hiccup

It all hurts like nothing I’ve ever experienced. Not as tough as I thought I was for sure. LOL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Couple years back i think i cracked a rib or two.

Googled it on webMD. Met the criteria.

Didn’t go to the doctor. Fug paying for someone to say they can’t do anything.

Tender for several weeks. Hurt to laugh and cough.

Took BC’s.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
If they are broken figure on six months before feeling like wresting again. Mom hit me with her broom about two years ago and broke two of my short ribs. Damn near killed me.
I say phuque trying to tough it out ! I had to guide two return hunters with busted ribs. Took me 20 minutes to saddle my horse! This chick I knew brought me some medication ( opium and I ain't afeared to proclaim it amongst all you purists) Riding all day kicked my ass and we never saw an elk. Looking back on that deal we should have given the hunters at least a partial refund cuz I sucked on that hunt!
Posted By: LBP Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
It took me a couple weeks to do some light stuff. It took about 2 months to want too 😂. That said it’s been 12 years and every now and then I move just right and can still feel a twinge just to remind me.
Hypocrite: I hope you heal quickly - don't sneeze!
Don't use pepper.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: las Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
How many of the posters here remember how tough you were at 30? Yeah, it’s going to hurt, but if he’s a duck hunter, he’s used to pain. 😉

There is a difference between pain and "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" (McManus).

No reason not to double up tho, if he's tough, or stupid, or both. smile
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/01/21
I slid off the roof and broke a rib.

I had to sleep sitting up.

I got pneumonia.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
Came off a horse one time, it was 3 weeks before I could get in or out of bed without screaming.😆
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
Broke several short ribs 2 months ago pain gone in 6 weeks. Just breathe through the pain so you don't get pneumonia!
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by las

There is a difference between pain and "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" (McManus).

No reason not to double up tho, if he's tough, or stupid, or both. smile

I’m not feeling real tough at the moment LOL

but I did make some good progress, when I made this post I couldn’t sit up without a ton of pain and help. I was able to get on my feet and walk around with a Walker today.

I won’t be hunting unless it’s an easy hunt and a lot of improvement over where I am now.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My sister did deliver me a new hoodie she made to the hospital today. Lmao
Posted By: Lorne Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Yeah........then wait to you feel yourself starting to sneeze then choke it off. New level of ‘discomfort ‘. Experience speaking here
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
All I can say, it was a long time ago and I don't want to go through it again.

Good luck and probably plan to hunt them white geese in the spring maybe?
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
You bested me by one....I did seven in a MC accident...6 broken and one shattered at 56 years old. Like you, getting out of bed the first couple of weeks was difficult. I found sitting on the couch with my feet up and a pillow across my chest was my best option for some sleep. Probably age related but it was at least several months before I could try and swing an axe or exert myself in any way....I did give it a go a bit early in my recovery and my left side lite up like it was on fire !!!....Just my experience.

Good luck in the healing process!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
Hurts just thinking about it. Hope you heal fast.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
If they are broken figure on six months before feeling like wresting again. Mom hit me with her broom about two years ago and broke two of my short ribs. Damn near killed me.

OK.

There has to be a good story behind this one. Spill it!
Well, how ya feelin?
Posted By: blanket Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/17/21
Screw sneasing, don't get constipation
I used to figure 8 weeks when I did contact TKD. They tend to hurt the whole time too.
Posted By: blanket Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/17/21
Over 60, dang racing hillclimers
I' ll say it if no one else will. You need to lose weight but you also right now need to eat the right things to help you heal. Forget the duck hunting this season your allready stressing those broke ribs by being over weight. Stay at home rest and whatever exercise the MD tells you. Stay away from people the last thing you need with 8 broke ribs is some funny asshile trying to make you laugh or some broke dick sob giving you covid. You want to go into recovery mode rfn you need to get through this and heal fast as you can without any prolonging it by unneeded physical activity. Your lucky you ain't dead don't bring that on..

Mb
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/17/21
Guess it depends on we’re they’re popped at , mine was directly on my side , only three , couldn’t imagine eight .
Anyway , had to sleep flat on my back , getting up and down was a muther. Wife has back problems and I knew it would be just a matter of time till she hurt herself trying to help me up and down .
Had some rope about 3/4” in diameter , something I could get a good grip on .
Tied one end to a bed post at the foot of the bed and used it to pull myself up and down .
It was a bitch , but after a few weeks it got were zi could do it without the rope .
As said , don’t be foolish , take your meds and rest . Also don’t forget you are medicated and move with that in mind .
Start taking a stool softener now , everyday .
Went down that road of costipation , once bowels get locked up it’s a muther to undo .
Had Covid at the time and coughing up phlegm wasn’t fun , then the added pain of bowels , take stool softener , I know Zi already said that , but it is important.
Kenneth

Edited to say , I feel your pain , missed the first week and half of bow season , luckily I was on the uphill side of moving around . Meds are your friend , don’t sweat the addiction crap , you won’t get addicted by a 6-8 week stretch , espeacially if your like me , I didn’t like the buzz , but liked the pain even less .
Your 33 yrs old so you have that going for you OP. I’ve broken ribs twice but never eight of them. Once in a car accident and once in a bar fight… along long time ago. Broken ribs suck. It hurts to cough and I slept in a chair for a few weeks but I recovered fairly fast both times. Probably three weeks or so and I was mostly back to what I could do before. Eight of them busted sounds like a whole different situation and no idea what the recovery time will be but it’s probably sooner than what you think when you’re hurting to stand up. Once you can stand up without much pain it seemed to get better in a hurry from there.
Six weeks or until the doctor says. If you rush it, you'll be sorry. Best wishes.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/17/21
Broken sternum took 4 months to feel ok a few years ago.
Most bones 6 weeks to 2 months - the Dr's say'

BS - the 6 week comment is just to keep up your morale. 2 months seems to be the norm for me (very experienced smile )

Neighbor lady (late 60's) was in a horse wreck ~ 2 months ago - horse fell with her. She broke her collarbone in 2 places, 11 ribs, and her pelvis.
She attended graduation at NMMI a week ago, and was getting along pretty well - mostly healed.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/17/21
Was in a nasty wreck on January 2, 2020. Doc said I'd fractures my sternum in four places, bruised both lungs and my heart. I'm thinking that bruise on my ticker is what eventually brought on my heart attack at the end of last February. Doc gave me a 6 day supply of Percocet and there's still 4.5 days left in the bottle. Lived on Tylenol the rest of the two months, give or take a day or two before I was close to feeling human. Trying to sleep wasn't fun. Lying on my back made breathing difficult but after about a week I was able to sleep better on my right side.
Funny thing about the whole mess is I'd made it to 81 years and change before ever breaking a bone.
Paul B.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I' ll say it if no one else will. You need to lose weight but you also right now need to eat the right things to help you heal. Forget the duck hunting this season your allready stressing those broke ribs by being over weight. Stay at home rest and whatever exercise the MD tells you. Stay away from people the last thing you need with 8 broke ribs is some funny asshile trying to make you laugh or some broke dick sob giving you covid. You want to go into recovery mode rfn you need to get through this and heal fast as you can without any prolonging it by unneeded physical activity. Your lucky you ain't dead don't bring that on..

Mb

This post is almost 2 months old at this point.
30 pounds might have been a little exaggerated. I’m pretty active and I’m 95% recovered at this point. Only really notice anything if I roll over wrong in bed, or I try and pick up something with an extended arm.

I’ve since shot pheasants, split wood, spent time on a punching bag, and I’ve ran a backpack leaf blower at work for a few hours at a time. I can’t complain and I know everyone is different but sitting on a couch and waiting this out would
have drove me mad. Pushing through the pain helped me
A lot.

Guys saying 6 weeks were pretty much spot on. That’s when I was able to do most activity pain free within reason.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Mb

Don’t be so dramatic. I’m a [bleep] hair under 6 feet tall and a little over 200 pounds. Not a lard ass and I’m pretty active always have been. I’m 95% recovered at this point. Only really notice anything if I roll over wrong in bed, or I try and pick up something with an extended arm.

I was drinking at a bar within about 10 days of the accident and I was up walking and making homemade pizza within a week of the accident. I stopped taking all pain meds within that 10 day mark too.

I’ve since shot pheasants, split wood, spent time on a punching bag, and I’ve ran a backpack leaf blower at work for a few hours at a time.

It makes sense you’d worry about covid.

Guys saying 6 weeks were pretty much spot on. That’s when I was able to do most activity pain free within reason.

Nothing like a mental midget that goes drinking in a bar and forgets it was himself that said he was overweight, then criticizes the person that gave counsel on your condition. You will be lucky to ever reach 45 years old.

I was in a car accident Saturday night, broke 8 ribs, and bruised one kidney.

Posted By: MPat70 Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/19/21
Was in a car crash 8 years ago. Crushed left side ribs, collapsed left lung, ruptured spleen & broken collar bone.
Lasted in hospital 11 days. 14 days post crash I was digging post holes, and putting trusses on my shop. 1 armed of course. It hurt like hell but the fastest way to recover is too work through the pain. The ribs hurt for about 4 weeks.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/19/21
Originally Posted by MPat70
Was in a car crash 8 years ago. Crushed left side ribs, collapsed left lung, ruptured spleen & broken collar bone.
Lasted in hospital 11 days. 14 days post crash I was digging post holes, and putting trusses on my shop. 1 armed of course. It hurt like hell but the fastest way to recover is too work through the pain. The ribs hurt for about 4 weeks.

This post is almost 2 months old but you’re absolutely correct.

The more pain I pushed through the better I felt the next day.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Broken rib recovery time - 12/19/21
When I was 24 I cracked two ribs at a rodeo. I was stupid and thought I was tough so I cowboyed up and rode again the next next night. That one second cost me the rest of the season. LET YOURSELF HEAL!!
© 24hourcampfire