Home
Posted By: prplbkrr Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
and informed me that I can no longer hunt his property. I bought my 5 acre lot from him and let him farm 3 acres, free of charge, for 12 years. Now his boy has taken over the farming operation and his buddies are going to hunt the area I was in, may be 15 acres of woods on an 80 acre plot. Nice place that the deer ran from cover to cover.

2 friggin' weeks before deer season and I am S-O-L. It was a good run while it lasted. 9uck!!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
Looks like your generosity has paid off. shocked

L.W.
Grew up on a 400+ acre farm, probably not too far from you (western Vernon Co.) My Dad and uncle farmed together for years. A messy sale/split to my cousin and her husband about 6 years ago but hunting rights for kids and grandkids were supposed to be written into the sale. No dice. I'll likely never set foot on the place again. It sucks, but their names are on the deed and they pay the taxes. I've made due but I kinda miss my old stand.

Hunt public or buy/lease your own. It kinda stinks but it's the reality of things. Good luck.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
Sorry to hear about your hunting plans going South

Some dude years ago had nice saying..................

"Go West Young Man"

Lots of public land out here.

Drawing certain tags may be an issue though.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
Do they still Farm on your property? Time for a bill in the future.
You had a good run with that arrangement, sorry it fell apart so close to opening day.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
Yea I’d definitely charge for the land or better yet,,,,, seed it for YOUR FOOD plot and hunt the edge of it
A friendly call back with a kind reminder might not hurt....better yet a pie delivered to his door and a "get aquatinted. " It's hard to do, but a kind turn to let him know you'd like to establish the same good neighborly repore that you and his dad had might actually change his mind. Otherwise, I can't think of a way that you will be able to hunt. Hope it works out for you.
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Bingo !
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
A friendly call back with a kind reminder might not hurt....better yet a pie delivered to his door and a "get aquatinted. " It's hard to do, but a kind turn to let him know you'd like to establish the same good neighborly repore that you and his dad had might actually change his mind. Otherwise, I can't think of a way that you will be able to hunt. Hope it works out for you.

Did you miss this very important part?

and his buddies are going to hunt the area I was in, may be 15 acres of woods on an 80 acre plot

I seriously doubt a pie is going to make it any easier to fit another hunter on 15 acres.
Posted By: ribka Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21

Maybe give the farmer free self defense knife fighting lessons or free bible verse training . Bet would change his mind. Many would gladly pay big money for this
12 years is a good run!

I'd make it clear they cannot farm your place anymore for free though. wink
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21

Maybe in your part of the world but here in Midwest all they do is laugh. Big money to rent ground and maybe the kids buddy’s dont own anything so they pushing him or maybe they lost ground to hunt the old farmer wont buck his kid for a pie
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cnnf/recreation/hunting/recarea/?recid=27921&actid=54
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
Originally Posted by Mike_S

The farmer sold the adjacent property last year and it isn't worth it to him to get to my measly 3 acres. He no longer farms my property. His choice, not mine.
There is alfalfa on that field now. Guess I'll sit in the house with the aught-6 and hope for the best. Though sitting in the house is not hunting, but a doe and her fawns are pretty regular. (I am sure that will change when the gunfire starts.) Shooting from the house is the only safe option. Anywhere else and I will be shooting towards the road, the neighbors, and my house.
Posted By: las Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
What is on your 5 acres? How does it lie in relation to other cover? Is it all field? Is there a travel route(s) through it? Can you post it so it becomes a haven while they hammer the hell out of their property?

They may make good "drivers" for your benefit.

5 acres is not much, but may have possibilities despite that. Information is a bit scanty.

You might be able to negotiate something for that 3 acres they were farming (unless written into your deed), or simply deny them farming rights henceforth.

You might also negotiate what is shootable and not as far as management goes.

Sounds like it might be a shoot-em-all situation tho, on their part.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
12 years is a good run!

I'd make it clear they cannot farm your place anymore for free though. wink

As clear as a bell.

Fence and some No Trespassing/No Hunting signs in case some of them new fellas see a deer on his side of the line.
Posted By: RAS Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
I own my own and hunt it, but still hunt public as well.

Seriously, get off the trail over 250 yards and 95% of the traffic is gone.

The deer know that too. smile
Posted By: rem141r Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
i had the same thing happen to me. twice actually. i finally gave up kissing peoples asses to hunt their property and dedicated a couple years to public lands scouting. shot my best bucks since. but i work a lot harder for them and that gets tougher every year. i really miss being able to walk out the back door and hunt but oh well, its their property to do with as they please so its not worth fighting about. but i'd damn sure make sure that the free farming stops.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21

Yeah. A cow pie and note not to set foot on his land again would likely get the message across.

Plant 4.5 acres in blackberry or thick cover for bedding and .5 acres in winter feed.
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
and informed me that I can no longer hunt his property. I bought my 5 acre lot from him and let him farm 3 acres, free of charge, for 12 years. Now his boy has taken over the farming operation and his buddies are going to hunt the area I was in, may be 15 acres of woods on an 80 acre plot. Nice place that the deer ran from cover to cover.

2 friggin' weeks before deer season and I am S-O-L. It was a good run while it lasted. 9uck!!

Is the dad still the owner? He may not know about your screwing.

Perhaps a call about WTF?
Whatever guys. 🤷‍♂️

Just trying to come up with a solution. I don't have all the facts or all of the answers, IF there is one.
Sometimes it's just time to go to a state forest. I did that for years.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
You have 5 acres. Bait them in. Feed heavy. You might be surprised how many deer you can pull over to your place.
Posted By: skeen Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
That sucks, brotha.'
Private land owners make the rules for their land, but it would have been nice of him to let you know a few months ago so that you could plan accordingly.
I'm a farmer. We have have several independent parcels of land that we allow to be hunted. We use a written agreement found on the VA. DWR website and start with a one year agreement with the option to extend if everyone's happy. So far only had to cancel one.
For the right to hunt they agree to keep watch on the place and call me if they see a problem.
They are allowed to have one other person with them and I like hunters that hunt year round, fall and spring seasons with some varmint and groundhog shooting thrown in, keeps more eyes on the place.
A few have helped us cleanup trash, repair fences and roads and put up no trespassing signs.
Having all the game cameras out there has been good for us too, actually helped the sheriff locate a couple of atv thieves once.
Our game warden is kept informed of who is allowed to hunt on which property.
My son is in the process of taking over the farm so at some point in the near future it will be his signature on that paper instead of mine.
A friendly call back with a kind reminder might not hurt....better yet a pie delivered to his door and a "get aquatinted. " .

What kind of pie? Like one of them creampie's you like to give the alter boys? 😁 And, what does aqua tinted mean anyway?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21
A lot of people here (not me) would say that if you only have 5 acres, no matter where you set up you would be hunting too close to the property line.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/05/21

You have just learnt a valuable lesson, when you are no longer useful no one gives a shit about you. Remember it and move on.
Things change, we’ve all probably gone through it, I know i have.

I had to tell a man and his grown son to get their stands and vacate my property a couple months ago. They have been a problem for 10 years. Terrible hunters, piss poor ethics, I finally had enough. The father actually argued that he actually had a ‘right’ to hunt since he had been hunting there since my uncle gave them permisssion when he was the owner.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by Alaskajim

I had to tell a man and his grown son to get their stands and vacate my property a couple months ago. They have been a problem for 10 years. Terrible hunters, piss poor ethics, I finally had enough. The father actually argued that he actually had a ‘right’ to hunt since he had been hunting there since my uncle gave them permisssion when he was the owner.

I have found that if you let someone hunt on your place they will assume they own the hunting rights. The worst mistake I ever made was giving a semi retarded mama's boy neighbor the right to hunt on our place. He violated every rule I put on him. He shot over onto the neighbor's place, threatened a neighboring land owner with murder, drove his ATV on the place when I was hunting, made 15 or more ATV trips a day looking for deer, was just a general nuisance. When I gave him the boot he wanted to kill me. It escalated to where the sheriff came out and killed him.

Except for my kids and brother in law the only one I would consider giving permission to hunt or shoot would be someone I already hate since that's how it's going to end up. There are other cases where I have had to terminate a hunting lease due to family wanting the land and it creates an ugly situation every time.

If someone lets you hunt you for free you had best kiss their ass and help them in the off season a little.
Public land..

Hunt escape routes.
Terrian funnels.
Doe bedding area fringes.

Its November anything can happen.
But you won't know if you dont go.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Yesterday we were up checking on a little bunch of cows on our creek pastures.

Pop over a hill and see five orange fuucktards crossing the fence. Fancy dogs and Orvis doctor crowd.

I about came uncorked but remained civil.

[bleep] anyway.
Farmers are fuggers in my experience. Much better to find a rancher, they are a much better folks.

Posted By: JSTUART Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Farmers are fuggers in my experience. Much better to find a rancher, they are a much better folks.

You do understand that you are asking to hunt in someone's back yard, their home...right?
Originally Posted by JSTUART

You do understand that you are asking to hunt in someone's back yard, their home...right?

I'm not from a 3rd world hellhole like Australia, so yes.

From your answer you do seem like a lackwit.

So...how is your president going today, shit himself yet?

From your answer you do seem like a lackwit.

Unfortunately, you are probably the brightest, FAT, SOB in Australia. God speed

You cannot even get that right...say hello to depends.

You cannot even get that right...say hello to depends.

Another communist big mouth. Lots of them around. I'm sure your mommy is proud.

Another communist big mouth. Lots of them around. I'm sure your mommy is proud.

Coming from a clown that thinks he deserves to use other peoples property as he sees fit it is somewhat ironic.

Guess it depends...try another vote and see if you can improve your lot, you know...take their land for the good of the party.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by Beaglemaster
I'm a farmer. We have have several independent parcels of land that we allow to be hunted. We use a written agreement found on the VA. DWR website and start with a one year agreement with the option to extend if everyone's happy. So far only had to cancel one.
For the right to hunt they agree to keep watch on the place and call me if they see a problem.
They are allowed to have one other person with them and I like hunters that hunt year round, fall and spring seasons with some varmint and groundhog shooting thrown in, keeps more eyes on the place.
A few have helped us cleanup trash, repair fences and roads and put up no trespassing signs.
Having all the game cameras out there has been good for us too, actually helped the sheriff locate a couple of atv thieves once.
My son is in the process of taking over the farm so at some point in the near future it will be his signature on that paper instead of mine.

I wish I as hunting your property. Dad taught me to appreciate the land owner. I miss the 70's, where you could knock on a farmers door and he would tell you where to hunt. Most of 'em anyway. Very few said no.
Posted By: barnabus Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
target practice at prime deer movement is what id do.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Some little punks with squattted ass end trucks will be hunting it now. With those Bone Kollecta stickers of the 200 point buck in silver

Maybe even a I GAVE HER THE D stickers too.

Be zippin around there in a 14 passenger side X side, with the plastic flappy makeshift doors and such
Posted By: hookeye Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
I helped my old landowner repair farm equip and properties.

All yr long. Was a coworker and good dude.

Sold the main farm after 20 yrs. His kids got old enough to take over repair duties.

I hunt public and a little private spot w a relative.

It aint the same, that old farm was bigger and way more critters.

Things change, am just glad I had the opportunity to enjoy it as long as I did.

Kinda helped when they timbered it the last yr, as it really changed the look of the place ( easier to let go I reckon )
I got quite a few spots to groundhog hunt back in the day, just knock on the door.

Farmers appreciated it, and some would allow rabbit or dove hunting too.
Thinga definitely are NOT like it was 20 yrs ago.
Hell, 40 yrs ago.

Cool farmers all died off and their liberal kids or grandkids took over

I still see some good old timers now and then but yotes have wiper out the chucks and its a long drive for just a few these days.

Used to burn a lot of gas and time blasting em way back.

But the shootin was good
Am sitting outside has station right now, too early....burning time before hitting the deer woods.
Posted By: sackett Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21

So you hate farmers.....or are you just jealous that some farmers owns and work the land that you don't own?

That being said, I guess you must grow ALL your own food and have your own cows for milk/cheese/butter cause ranchers don't do that
Some dudes be haulin country hams and whatnot out to meemaw and peepaw with 80 acres.

Lickin dat ass

That “i’ll shut your gates and help you fix fences” jive don’t work.

Pfffft

Country ham baby!!!

Ohhh yeah, no one wants any of the deer meat. LOL so that “i’ll share half the deer with the landowner” haha, they’d probably tell you to toss their half in a ditch. 😀
Posted By: Teal Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Man, they're going to put multiple people on 15 ac?

Chances are those deer will be looking for your land anyway.

We hunt 2-3 people on 200 acres and feel that's a bit over saturated at times.
My Wife and I bought a farm from a retired couple awhile back and they continued to give people permission to trespass as though it was still their property. I tore down some tree stands and the hunters were pissed at me for doing it, since they had permission from the former land owner. It took a visit from the sheriff for them to clearly understand that their permission was from someone who didn't have the authority to give permission. It even took a couple of visits with the former land owners to convince them that selling the farm that had been in their family since the1890's had ended their legal connection to that land. Once the deed had been transferred it was no longer their land and they no longer had the authority to make decision about how it would be used or who could use it.

When my Wife and BIL sold a ranch that the family had owned since the 1960's, they had the attorney write into the sales documents that we and our "issue" would have perpetual rights to trespass for the purposes of hunting and trapping, provided that we gave the owner or the owner's designated agent notice of our intention to trespass at least 24 hours prior to our arrival. The guy who bought the ranch leased the grazing rights to a neighbor and hired a guy to be the on-site caretaker for the buildings, equipement, fences, and water systems. With no cattle to look after, it would be a pretty good job to have if you didn't mind the isolation and the 50 mile drive to the nearest town of any size.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Sorry for your misfortune prplbkrr. I am seeing that around here too. This is a very rural area but many of the family farms are being so to people that have always lived in the city, we are getting allot of them from St. Louis buying land here. Up go the keep out signs and the purple paint. I still have quite a few places I can ask permission and hunt so I'm fortunate. If that changes I'll hunt the public land when I want. Right now my deer hunting spot is owned by a lifelong friend and he told me I can hunt there until one of us dies. I'm very fortunate to have such a place and him as a friend.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by barnabus
Why? That would be chickenshit. He was able to hunt the place for free for 12 years. Someone else owns it. Things change. Hunting rights have value. If you are allowed onto a place it is wise to offer to pay.
Yeah... folks can be weird anymore.

I got a neighbor that gets all pissy if we shoot does on MY LAND...

Core of his argument is that does make big bucks... and he and his kids only hunt bucks... and the does live on his land too.

I don't argue with him anymore... I shoot whatever I like... we have way too many does anyway. just sucks that people act stupid.

Sorry for your misfortune.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My Wife and I bought a farm from a retired couple awhile back and they continued to give people permission to trespass as though it was still their property. I tore down some tree stands and the hunters were pissed at me for doing it, since they had permission from the former land owner. It took a visit from the sheriff for them to clearly understand that their permission was from someone who didn't have the authority to give permission. It even took a couple of visits with the former land owners to convince them that selling the farm that had been in their family since the1890's had ended their legal connection to that land. Once the deed had been transferred it was no longer their land and they no longer had the authority to make decision about how it would be used or who could use it.

When my Wife and BIL sold a ranch that the family had owned since the 1960's, they had the attorney write into the sales documents that we and our "issue" would have perpetual rights to trespass for the purposes of hunting and trapping, provided that we gave the owner or the owner's designated agent notice of our intention to trespass at least 24 hours prior to our arrival. The guy who bought the ranch leased the grazing rights to a neighbor and hired a guy to be the on-site caretaker for the buildings, equipement, fences, and water systems. With no cattle to look after, it would be a pretty good job to have if you didn't mind the isolation and the 50 mile drive to the nearest town of any size.

I had a small 50 acre farm in Ohio about 10 years ago... sold the farm house, but kept the acreage. Went by one time to check on the land and saw a guy in a tree stand. No idea who he was. I approached him and he got really nasty with me. Told him to get out of the stand and leave my property. He got even more belligerent. Pulled my Glock 21 and the conversation ended... and he left. Some people are just WTF anymore. I mean damn...
Well at least you didn't pay a couple grand to lease it, then it was sold and now they're clear-cutting throughout the rut.

Or all the land around your five acres was suddenly developed and zero deer on it anymore.

These things happen regularly.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21

Fair is fair, ...what's good for the goose is good for the gander, ...and all that kinda stuff...

Post clearly visible no trespassing signs all along your property line.

Eventually they will shoot a deer that is either already on your property or winds up running over onto your property and dies.

"Sorry, those 'No Trespassing' signs mean EXACTLY that".

Do that in Texas and a Game Warden will pay you a visit and you won't like the outcome. Hunter harassment is against the law and they do enforce it.

Originally Posted by joken2

Eventually they will shoot a deer that is either already on your property or winds up running over onto your property and dies.

I have an agreement with my neighbors. Should a deer wind up on my property just call me and we will get it back to you. Life is too short to be a Jackass. smile

Jim
Posted By: TheKid Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by texasbatman

Do that in Texas and a Game Warden will pay you a visit and you won't like the outcome. Hunter harassment is against the law and they do enforce it.

I have an agreement with my neighbors. Should a deer wind up on my property just call me and we will get it back to you. Life is too short to be a Jackass. smile

Jim

So in TX it’s illegal for a guy to shoot beer cans on his own property because someone may be hunting the place next door? I don’t know for sure but I kinda doubt it and if true TX is a bigger mess than I thought.
I’ll tell ya what makes a nice noise...dragging 30ft of logging chain out of front end loader bucket lol

At about 7:05 am

That or go hammer the mortar out a wheel barrow. 🤪

Got someone that’s been working on a farm beside us this morning. It’s legit work so just the way it is.

Originally Posted by CashisKing
Yeah... folks can be weird anymore.

I got a neighbor that gets all pissy if we shoot does on MY LAND...

Core of his argument is that does make big bucks... and he and his kids only hunt bucks... and the does live on his land too.

I don't argue with him anymore... I shoot whatever I like... we have way too many does anyway. just sucks that people act stupid.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Can do you one better than that.

Have a neighbor to a 240ish acre property that 3 of us have exclusive rights to. Guy owns a long, skinny 15 acre sliver with ours on three sides. Basically a chunk of side hill with bottom access via an easement. Parks at the bottom and drives a fuggin' four wheeler up, lol.

Rolls up on us last bow season and I shi.t you not starts telling us he has two target bucks he's seen in the field (ours) and he knows we have a stand in a point that juts into the field cause hes seen us walk in. Would appreciate it if we laid off that stand since he's targeting these bucks. Also, lets us know exactly where the property line is (thanks) and he will not be granting access to track deer if needed.

Welcomed him to the neighborhood. Informed him that not only would we be hunting the point we would also be hunting the ridge above his property frequently. And the edge of a bedding area on the opposite side of him. Likely a bale blind we'd go ahead and pull out of a utility shed on the farm and place right off the field edge under him. Might even get a crew together for some opening weekend drives during rifle season. Best of luck with those target bucks you've been watching on OUR property, lol.

He looked, in a word, dejected after the encounter. Must have played out differently in his head...

Always nice to hear stories of good ole country boy will survive ethics.
Originally Posted by TheKid

Jim

So in TX it’s illegal for a guy to shoot beer cans on his own property because someone may be hunting the place next door? I don’t know for sure but I kinda doubt it and if true TX is a bigger mess than I thought.

Our Game Wardens are pretty smart. So are the people who live here. Make it a point to raise hell during the morning and evening hunt times near hunters and it will be obvious what is going on. First we talk and if that doesn't work we call the Wardens. Cell phone video helps as well. We are not fugged up here. Also, most of the places here are bigger than a few acres and a little noise won't bother anyone. We will chit chat here before calling the Wardens. What neck of the country do you call home?

Jim
Posted By: TheKid Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
I’m north of you across the Red River. If someone is wants to shoot a round of trap every evening during deer season there ain’t a dang thing the guy across the fence can do about it as long as it’s not endangering him or his livestock. Unless I guess the guy target shooting was to admit that he was only shooting to mess up the neighbors’ hunt, but why would anyone say that.
Posted By: Boise Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
I helped a rancher put up his hay, helped with spring round up and branding, helped again with fall round up, helped fix a broken water line. I now have a place to hunt.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21

Jim

Being a "Jackass" can apply both ways... Sometimes a "Jackass" action results in consequential "Jackass" actions by others.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
Some dudes be haulin country hams and whatnot out to meemaw and peepaw with 80 acres.

Lickin dat ass

That “i’ll shut your gates and help you fix fences” jive don’t work.

Pfffft

Country ham baby!!!

Ohhh yeah, no one wants any of the deer meat. LOL so that “i’ll share half the deer with the landowner” haha, they’d probably tell you to toss their half in a ditch. 😀

Don't foget................................bring 'em a pie wit dat ham.
Originally Posted by sackett

So you hate farmers.....or are you just jealous that some farmers owns and work the land that you don't own?

That being said, I guess you must grow ALL your own food and have your own cows for milk/cheese/butter cause ranchers don't do that

Thank you for proving my point.
Posted By: sackett Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21

That you are a jackass, sure any time.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21

Yer in WI... Plenty of public lands to hunt on... BTDT...
Posted By: ldholton Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/06/21
Originally Posted by Boise
I helped a rancher put up his hay, helped with spring round up and branding, helped again with fall round up, helped fix a broken water line. I now have a place to hunt.

This right here ^^^^^^^^ that is the best way to get hunting rights granted to you on anything I own

Typical YANKEE. Connecticut deserves you.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Wife and I have a saying ... “once you say yes, you can never say no”. If you say no upfront, people don’t get too upset, if you say yes then a couple years later say no you’ve made an enemy for life.

Years ago a part-time resident/neighbor asked me to give him a private landowner elk tag authorization to hunt on somebody else’s land. I had an extra so gave it to him. Didn’t hear anything from him until the next year, he asked for another, and I gave him another. Still didn’t hear from him until ayear later he asked for a third authorization ... I said sure, but you’ll have to give half the meat if you get an elk. He gave a nasty look and said no, I haven’t heard from him since.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
I have a love/hate relationship with hunting season.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
That is quite a punch in the gut with the 9 day gun season 2 weeks away. Hope you can find an alternative, maybe something even better may come out of this.

Some in this thread talked about ways to gain permission to hunt on private land. My Dad and I gave permission to hunt on our farms for several years and accepted good gestures of appreciation, but did not require it. A couple of incidents changed all that. A hunter helped around the farm during harvest and he was good help. Unfortunately he was involved in a accident when hooking up a grain cart and smashed a hand and broke his right hip. He sued for medical bills and loss of work and good thing we had liability insurance.

On another occasion, we gave a guy permission to retrieve a deer on our land and while leaving drove his SxS on a logging road and somehow rolled it into a ditch landing on top of him. His hunting buddies came looking for him later that night and stopped at Dad's house and he called me to help locate the guy. We found him pinned under the SxS and we called 911 for assistance. We got the SxS off him and he was complaining about his neck, but did not appear to suffer any other injuries. Long story, short he sued us for medical care, but we took it to court and before going to trial the suit was dropped after our lawyers determined his blood alcohol level was over the top, SxS was reported stolen, no deer hunting license, was in the third year of a 5 year suspended hunting and fishing fine. You could say we dodged a bullet. That ended giving permission to outsiders, however neighbors that allow us to hunt on their land can hunt on ours.
Originally Posted by Hastings

I have found that if you let someone hunt on your place they will assume they own the hunting rights. The worst mistake I ever made was giving a semi retarded mama's boy neighbor the right to hunt on our place. He violated every rule I put on him. He shot over onto the neighbor's place, threatened a neighboring land owner with murder, drove his ATV on the place when I was hunting, made 15 or more ATV trips a day looking for deer, was just a general nuisance. When I gave him the boot he wanted to kill me. It escalated to where the sheriff came out and killed him.

Except for my kids and brother in law the only one I would consider giving permission to hunt or shoot would be someone I already hate since that's how it's going to end up. There are other cases where I have had to terminate a hunting lease due to family wanting the land and it creates an ugly situation every time.

If someone lets you hunt you for free you had best kiss their ass and help them in the off season a little.

Yikes, the cops shot him?
Posted By: barnabus Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by TheKid

Jim

lots of idiots on here cant read and follow a conversation that a three old could.. ill shoot cans on my property if i plz and there aint a thing any warden will do about it.
gosh some of you are stupid.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Yikes, the cops shot him?

Absolutely, I've posted this story before. I got a restraining order on him due to his shooting across our property to scare us after I booted him off our place. Short story, he violated the judge's orders, the sheriff came out to take him to jail. He and his mother came out with guns and confronted the sheriff. The sheriff killed them both. The idiot boy barely missed the sheriff with a load of buckshot.
People wanna fish, cut firewood, ride their horse, trap minnows, shoot gophers, hunt deer and pheasants and geese, trap/shoot coyotes, pick June berries, ride snow mobile, look for sheds, etc..

It never ends.
Hastings, Holy schit! Thats crazy!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by SamOlson
People wanna fish, cut firewood, ride their horse, trap minnows, shoot gophers, hunt deer and pheasants and geese, trap/shoot coyotes, pick June berries, ride snow mobile, look for sheds, etc..

It never ends.

I don't have a horse, but I'd prolly ask about all those other things.

tis just the way I is.

Least I'd not be sneaking on to do 'em.
Posted By: skeen Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by roundoak
That is quite a punch in the gut with the 9 day gun season 2 weeks away. Hope you can find an alternative, maybe something even better may come out of this.

Some in this thread talked about ways to gain permission to hunt on private land. My Dad and I gave permission to hunt on our farms for several years and accepted good gestures of appreciation, but did not require it. A couple of incidents changed all that. A hunter helped around the farm during harvest and he was good help. Unfortunately he was involved in a accident when hooking up a grain cart and smashed a hand and broke his right hip. He sued for medical bills and loss of work and good thing we had liability insurance.

On another occasion, we gave a guy permission to retrieve a deer on our land and while leaving drove his SxS on a logging road and somehow rolled it into a ditch landing on top of him. His hunting buddies came looking for him later that night and stopped at Dad's house and he called me to help locate the guy. We found him pinned under the SxS and we called 911 for assistance. We got the SxS off him and he was complaining about his neck, but did not appear to suffer any other injuries. Long story, short he sued us for medical care, but we took it to court and before going to trial the suit was dropped after our lawyers determined his blood alcohol level was over the top, SxS was reported stolen, no deer hunting license, was in the third year of a 5 year suspended hunting and fishing fine. You could say we dodged a bullet. That ended giving permission to outsiders, however neighbors that allow us to hunt on their land can hunt on ours.

Truly a shame. When I was a kid we had permission to hunt more farms than we could hunt in any given season. And more was always available with a knock and a courteous ask of permission.

But with stories like these who can fault or find any blame for famers and landowners not giving permission to hunt with this litigious society we live in?

I'm a public land hunter and I haven't hunted private land in at least 20 years, or more, across 5 different states.

There's a lot of great public hunting opportunities out there.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21

It never ends.

On everyone else's property because they feel they deserve it...then shout "commie" at anyone who points out that it is privately owned and they don't actually have rights to other people's property.

Shews just who the bolshies really are.
You'd be golden Geno.

Just don't break the number one rule and bring a bunch of other people with you!

And I know you wouldn't but others do.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
It happened in April of 2018. If you do a search on Winn Parish,Louisiana sheriff shoots/kills mother and son the story should come up. I was about 400 yards away on my place when it happened.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
The old, "friend, of a friend."
Posted By: ihookem Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Geez Roundoak, they sure stabbed you in the back. I lost permission 2 times about 40 yrs ago with my friend. Frankly, We had it coming. It was me a little bit but the worst was when my friend shot a buck and didnt tag it. That owner found out and that was it for us. Since then, I have hunted public land ever since. I will not ever ask for permission . I would LOVE to live and hunt public land where the OP lives. Go hunt public and be happy. It is far superior to my public land of SE Wis. and NW WIs. I sat 11 times this year on the high pressured public land and saw deer 4 times. I avr. seeing a deer sighting one in three times. Gun hunting is nuts in SE WIs. The NW WIs. is hard to see a deer all weekend. . . THe OP is very lucky to live where he does. I wouldnt even waste my time on 15 ac. anyway.

Fraudulent liability litigation is why we have all of our properties set up as seperate/unique incorporated entities.
It happened in April of 2018. If you do a search on Winn Parish,Louisiana sheriff shoots/kills mother and son the story should come up. I was about 400 yards away on my place when it happened.

I remember the incident when you first posted it.

Some people just need killin'...

You ought to send that department a nice Christmas platter every year. Made your neighborhood much more peaceful and increased property values. smile
Posted By: sackett Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21

Typical YANKEE. Connecticut deserves you.

Truth hurts don't it?

Try working on a farm for a while and learn something......
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Looks like your generosity has paid off. shocked

L.W.

As it always never does in those situations. I'd rather sit home wishing I had a place to hunt than to EVER have to deal with that again.
I have a love/hate relationship with hunting season.

It never ends.

Our property is 15 miles from me, 3 from Mom and Dad.
Kinda remote hollow. Across another property from the hard road.
No one lives there.

You can have a job and hunt when possible, or you could make it
your life to keep trespassers out. Can't have both.

I often go in there to hunt. Nice quiet solititude. Maybe shoot something.
Then I run across a trespasser. Often, after they leave, I leave.

As to noise.
I don't want to screw with neighbors, but I have been know to
drive my truck in there just after daybreak in Turkey season.
Fire up a Mac 10-10 and start cutting.
I know it wont drive the turkeys away.
But anyone set up to call isn't going to enjoy good conditions.

After about 1/2 hour, I put that antique ear splitter away and
break out a better saw.
You'd be golden Geno.

Just don't break the number one rule and bring a bunch of other people with you!

And I know you wouldn't but others do.

When we had our place one of my cousins on my mom's side asked if he could come down and hunt. I told him sure, he shows up with his friend and both their wives... I was pissed and to top it off they took everything in the fridge when they left, haven't talked to him in 13 yrs.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
There is wearing out a wellcome.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Some interesting viewpoints? Cousin's daughter and her husband live on what's left of the husband's family farm, in Steuben Co. NY. Think they have around 80 acres, raise some beef and do their own hay. Hunted deer on a neighbor's dairy farm for years, no problems.

Couple years ago, one of the neighbor's sons stopped and told them they were no longer welcome to hunt on their farm, because they now had friends hunting deer with them. That lasted about one season.

Dairy farmer had a few heifers get out and were on that 80 acres. Old boy came over to get them, talked to my cousin's SIL. Asked him why he hadn't seen them in the previous deer season? Was told that one of his sons had informed them about his friends hunting and to stay off.

Apparently daddy had no idea, but extended the offer to hunt anytime, anywhere they wanted to. Because it was his land and he decides who hunted there. Problem resolved for now.

I've known most of my hunting camp neighbors since I was a kid and can hunt on their adjoining land. Got into a minor dust up last year, with one neighbor. His dad died, now he runs things. Wanted to do my hay field, but I'd already given it to one of his relatives. He doesn't need my hay, always has round bales going to waste. Figured out he's just trying to screw his kin. He hasn't talked to me since and I no longer venture onto his land that abuts me. Pretty sure if I stopped to talk to his momma, that'd get settled?

smile
Posted By: ihookem Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
After reading every post here. I now remember why I only hunt public land. I hunt some of the highest pressured public land you could find. I never have had a single problem. I also hunt some of the lightest pressured hunting land in NW WIs. and never had a problem. I almost never see another hunter, even in the high pressure public land. I never ask to hunt anyones land for this very reason. No one offers mw neither. , I dont even begin to cause as soon as I mention, that hey have private land they get real short with me. Likely , they think I am going to ask for permission. I am not sure I should say this, but I read on many hunting boards " I lost my private hunting land"... I hear it all the time. There has to be a reason, and I think the reason is , the type of person that gets free hunting has mentality that it should be free, and that is where the problem starts. There are many here that offered free hunting , Roundoaks was a crazy one. Another had the Sheriff shoot the kid and mom. WOW!!. There is hardly a question that when someone gets the boot , it is their own fault. I have a friend with 120 ac. down the road. I never ask and he never offered in 12 yrs. This is exactly why I dont even ask.

It never ends.

That ain't no schit.
A common story. The days of free reign on open farmland for most is disappearing. We own 115 acres here in Central NYS and used to have access to over 1000 acres. Most of it has been divided and sold so now you hunt what you own or you hunt State land.
Originally Posted by ihookem
Another had the Sheriff shoot the kid and mom. WOW!!.

I don't think Hastings "had the sheriff shoot a son and kid."

That was self inflicted by inbred, criminally insane, hillbillies.

Last time I called the sheriff to go shoot someone for me, he told me to do it myself... laugh
Posted By: hosfly Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Ive been on both sides of the permission thing,,Ive never been asked to stop hunting or fishing on anybodies land, Heres the Golden rule on either side, Either granting or asking permission, Its a one off ask,, YOU and only YOU can go this one time, Fck it up and future request denied,, It is up to the hunter to behave,, The land owner is the owner the hunter is a guest only,
Posted By: Scotty Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
I always call the land owner before I apply for my deer tag. When we first started hunting there it was my Dad, my brother and maybe one other brother that went out. Since then my Dad and my older brother have passed on. Now it is just my wife and I that goes out. She does not get a license she is just tagging along enjoying the scenery.
It's been a good thread saw a lot of different view points. Last time I asked a rancher for permission he lightly scowled and said we no longer give hunting permission , I'm sorry. That' s about as polite as it gets. I smiled said that's ok why I asked I said if I owned this I probably wouldn't let you hunt either. Kind of a shocked look on his face and I told him too take care and left. Mb
My d.ickhead neighbor asked me if he could park their 4th car in my driveway, because they are out of room. I looked at him, turned around and walked into the house. Not even going to dignify that stupid question with a response. No way am I signing up for that headache.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Where I hunt in Montana it has become a proverbial land mine of access to hunt because of old ranches being sold. My relatives there own several sections of land and I am 1/8th owner of most of it, so it is not like I have no place to hunt private land. A lot of cases just involve receiving permission to cross land, but not hunt. A recent example was six years ago when a doctor from Billings bought a ranch next to us. When my cousin learned of the sell he contacted the new owner and asked to meet him the next time he was at the ranch. Months went by and no call back.

"Cuz" BIL works at the local coop and told him they got a call from the doctor that he was at the ranch and needed a delivery of diesel fuel. "Cuz" went along to meet the guy and ask permission to use a jeep trail thru his property to access a remote cow camp. Permission denied.

Well the Doc did not know that we own a lane that has easy access to some of his ag fields. "Cuz" put in a gate and a padlock. Later, custom harvest guys called "Cuz" and said they can't get into the fields and "Cuz" told them to call the Doc and tell him permission denied. Doc called "Cuz" and said he is leaving Billings now to meet and work things out. "Cuz" said I will give access now, but what about giving us access on the old jeep trail. Doc said no...end of conversation. "Cuz" knew the custom harvest people and did not want to jam them up and went out and unlocked the gate.

It is kind of nice riding a horse back to the old cow camp these days.
Posted By: las Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by ihookem
Geez Roundoak, they sure stabbed you in the back. I lost permission 2 times about 40 yrs ago with my friend. Frankly, We had it coming. It was me a little bit but the worst was when my friend shot a buck and didnt tag it. That owner found out and that was it for us. Since then, I have hunted public land ever since. I will not ever ask for permission . I would LOVE to live and hunt public land where the OP lives. Go hunt public and be happy. It is far superior to my public land of SE Wis. and NW WIs. I sat 11 times this year on the high pressured public land and saw deer 4 times. I avr. seeing a deer sighting one in three times. Gun hunting is nuts in SE WIs. The NW WIs. is hard to see a deer all weekend. . . THe OP is very lucky to live where he does. I wouldnt even waste my time on 15 ac. anyway.

Those cedar? swamps in northern WI always looked like a prime bet to me, with a little work, chest waders, pfd, canoe, etc.

Take a GPS....... and 2 compasses, an In-Reach, a couple lunches.... smile

Extra "coyote" ammo...
Posted By: las Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by Beaglemaster

I wish I as hunting your property. Dad taught me to appreciate the land owner. I miss the 70's, where you could knock on a farmers door and he would tell you where to hunt. Most of 'em anyway. Very few said no.

Yes. "Be sure to close the gates".
Posted By: Scotty Re: Farmer Just Called Me.... - 11/07/21
Quite a few years ago my brother asked a farmer if he could hunt on his land. He told my brother he could hunt if my brother gave him a fair days worth of work. My brother said sure, but he had no experience with farm equipment. The farmer told my brother that he was the first person that ever said yes. Told him to go ahead an hunt. Later in the season my brother stopped and talked to the farmer. He reminded the farmer on the conversation. He told that although he has no experience with farm equipment he does work with HVAC. He told the farmer he notice that he had dairy cows. He told the farmer that anytime his refrigeration system needed any work or just to be checked to give him a call. He said he would fix the refrigeration system labor free and only charge what he had to pay for parts. He told him that even if he doesn't hunt some fall to still call him, because he might not hunt there one year but want to be back the next. They had that arrangement for a few years until my brother moved out of town for a different job.
Where I hunt in Montana it has become a proverbial land mine of access to hunt because of old ranches being sold. My relatives there own several sections of land and I am 1/8th owner of most of it, so it is not like I have no place to hunt private land. A lot of cases just involve receiving permission to cross land, but not hunt. A recent example was six years ago when a doctor from Billings bought a ranch next to us. When my cousin learned of the sell he contacted the new owner and asked to meet him the next time he was at the ranch. Months went by and no call back.

"Cuz" BIL works at the local coop and told him they got a call from the doctor that he was at the ranch and needed a delivery of diesel fuel. "Cuz" went along to meet the guy and ask permission to use a jeep trail thru his property to access a remote cow camp. Permission denied.

Well the Doc did not know that we own a lane that has easy access to some of his ag fields. "Cuz" put in a gate and a padlock. Later, custom harvest guys called "Cuz" and said they can't get into the fields and "Cuz" told them to call the Doc and tell him permission denied. Doc called "Cuz" and said he is leaving Billings now to meet and work things out. "Cuz" said I will give access now, but what about giving us access on the old jeep trail. Doc said no...end of conversation. "Cuz" knew the custom harvest people and did not want to jam them up and went out and unlocked the gate.

It is kind of nice riding a horse back to the old cow camp these days.

I hope Cuz only gave Doc one free pass.
© 24hourcampfire