Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
and informed me that I can no longer hunt his property. I bought my 5 acre lot from him and let him farm 3 acres, free of charge, for 12 years. Now his boy has taken over the farming operation and his buddies are going to hunt the area I was in, may be 15 acres of woods on an 80 acre plot. Nice place that the deer ran from cover to cover.

2 friggin' weeks before deer season and I am S-O-L. It was a good run while it lasted. 9uck!!

Last edited by prplbkrr; 11/05/21.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like your generosity has paid off. shocked

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Grew up on a 400+ acre farm, probably not too far from you (western Vernon Co.) My Dad and uncle farmed together for years. A messy sale/split to my cousin and her husband about 6 years ago but hunting rights for kids and grandkids were supposed to be written into the sale. No dice. I'll likely never set foot on the place again. It sucks, but their names are on the deed and they pay the taxes. I've made due but I kinda miss my old stand.

Hunt public or buy/lease your own. It kinda stinks but it's the reality of things. Good luck.

Support your local brewer.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to hear about your hunting plans going South

Some dude years ago had nice saying..................

"Go West Young Man"

Lots of public land out here.

Drawing certain tags may be an issue though.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Do they still Farm on your property? Time for a bill in the future.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You had a good run with that arrangement, sorry it fell apart so close to opening day.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Yea I’d definitely charge for the land or better yet,,,,, seed it for YOUR FOOD plot and hunt the edge of it

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friendly call back with a kind reminder might not hurt....better yet a pie delivered to his door and a "get aquatinted. " It's hard to do, but a kind turn to let him know you'd like to establish the same good neighborly repore that you and his dad had might actually change his mind. Otherwise, I can't think of a way that you will be able to hunt. Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 11/05/21.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Bingo !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
A friendly call back with a kind reminder might not hurt....better yet a pie delivered to his door and a "get aquatinted. " It's hard to do, but a kind turn to let him know you'd like to establish the same good neighborly repore that you and his dad had might actually change his mind. Otherwise, I can't think of a way that you will be able to hunt. Hope it works out for you.

Did you miss this very important part?

and his buddies are going to hunt the area I was in, may be 15 acres of woods on an 80 acre plot

I seriously doubt a pie is going to make it any easier to fit another hunter on 15 acres.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Maybe give the farmer free self defense knife fighting lessons or free bible verse training . Bet would change his mind. Many would gladly pay big money for this

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
12 years is a good run!

I'd make it clear they cannot farm your place anymore for free though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

Maybe in your part of the world but here in Midwest all they do is laugh. Big money to rent ground and maybe the kids buddy’s dont own anything so they pushing him or maybe they lost ground to hunt the old farmer wont buck his kid for a pie

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mike_S

The farmer sold the adjacent property last year and it isn't worth it to him to get to my measly 3 acres. He no longer farms my property. His choice, not mine.
There is alfalfa on that field now. Guess I'll sit in the house with the aught-6 and hope for the best. Though sitting in the house is not hunting, but a doe and her fawns are pretty regular. (I am sure that will change when the gunfire starts.) Shooting from the house is the only safe option. Anywhere else and I will be shooting towards the road, the neighbors, and my house.

Last edited by prplbkrr; 11/05/21.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What is on your 5 acres? How does it lie in relation to other cover? Is it all field? Is there a travel route(s) through it? Can you post it so it becomes a haven while they hammer the hell out of their property?

They may make good "drivers" for your benefit.

5 acres is not much, but may have possibilities despite that. Information is a bit scanty.

You might be able to negotiate something for that 3 acres they were farming (unless written into your deed), or simply deny them farming rights henceforth.

You might also negotiate what is shootable and not as far as management goes.

Sounds like it might be a shoot-em-all situation tho, on their part.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
12 years is a good run!

I'd make it clear they cannot farm your place anymore for free though. wink

As clear as a bell.

Fence and some No Trespassing/No Hunting signs in case some of them new fellas see a deer on his side of the line.

In it is contentment

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own my own and hunt it, but still hunt public as well.

Seriously, get off the trail over 250 yards and 95% of the traffic is gone.

The deer know that too. smile

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i had the same thing happen to me. twice actually. i finally gave up kissing peoples asses to hunt their property and dedicated a couple years to public lands scouting. shot my best bucks since. but i work a lot harder for them and that gets tougher every year. i really miss being able to walk out the back door and hunt but oh well, its their property to do with as they please so its not worth fighting about. but i'd damn sure make sure that the free farming stops.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Yeah. A cow pie and note not to set foot on his land again would likely get the message across.

Plant 4.5 acres in blackberry or thick cover for bedding and .5 acres in winter feed.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/05/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.