Home
Posted By: wabigoon A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
A handgun is not always a legal choice.

A steel pipe in a plyer pocket?

Ideas?
Three cell or four cell maglite flashlight. Any LED flashlight emitting more than 100 lumens.
Commie law makers and DA's are pretty cleaver. In most place where a firearm is not legal neither is many other effective means of defense.
Posted By: Deans Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Lazer
Posted By: hookeye Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Aluminum rod.
Dispatched critters w one yrs ago
Worked well, laid by door of truck.
Not concealable though.

I did have a litte benchmade 530 in my pocket for a decade. Was handy enough
One of those walking stick swords.....
Old man, use a cane. A nice one with a fancy brass head. Ain't much good against a gun more'n 5 feet away, but against anything else, the cane wins. As Heinlein said, "There are no dangerous weapons. Only dangerous men."
RB
A framing hammer?
A hand held strobe light.
Originally Posted by Deans
Lazer

That’s actually a good idea, I think the antifa used those during the riots. Most had no defense for potential eye damage.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Ideas?

Hands… take some classes.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Expandable baton gets my vote
https://www.euro-security.info/en/expandable-batons-esp/hardened-expandable-baton.html
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Unfortunately, those are illegal to carry most place where it's illegal to carry a gun.
Screwdrivers are fairly popular for alternative weapons.
Do you play baseball? I think the godfather did.
Pepper spray, we'd need to buy in Canada to carry in Canada.
Posted By: blanket Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Ball Pein hammer
Flamethrower? Fugk yes!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

Not well!
They make some really sharp, light weight hatchets these days.
Originally Posted by blanket
Ball Pein hammer

First started in construction there was two Pagan outlaw bikers on the crew. Carried a ball peen hammer in a holder mounted to the frame of their Harley’s. Called it a “traffic cop”. Said if a car got too close a window or mirror got smashed.

They scared the hell out of me.
Posted By: goalie Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

Hickory tire knocker. Truck stop for $8
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Screwdrivers are fairly popular for alternative weapons.

Small flat tip with rubberized handle.
And, to not, have it used against yourself.
Roll of quarters or 2 in a long sock. Might add a bit of tape to each roll.
I carry a blade all the time, sometimes I'll put my tomahawk in the truck, and I can throw that.
Ball Pein hammer

This a cheap made in china one you don't mind tossing out the window from your vehicle as you are leaving town. Ain't nobody you use it on worth the price of a Vaughn.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I carry a blade all the time, sometimes I'll put my tomahawk in the truck, and I can throw that.

I was wondering when a knife would be mentioned..
Posted By: WMR Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

Ideas?

No offense my friend, but are you sure you’re up for the ninja thing? Maybe get a dog. Or maybe just plead for mercy.
“Randy lay there like a slug; it was his only defense.”
Originally Posted by goalie

The De-brainer. Need one of those
Posted By: Jahrs Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Tomahawk, long neck beer bottle, crowbar, pool stick , mace
The old, US Army, hand, to hand combat. Nose shoved into the brain, combat boot on the instep, breaking many bones, and more.
Posted By: Lslite Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Hit first with whatever is at hand.
What are the laws in your location ?
I’m too old and tired. Shoot a [bleep] in the face with a hellcat.
I used to carry a short 3/4" diameter piece of rebar wrapped in athletic tape when I was in High School, in case I had to wail on someone. Never had to put it to use, but I came close once - the messikan I was preparing to fight came at me with one of those de-brainers like the one posted above so I backed off.
The old, US Army, hand, to hand combat. Nose shoved into the brain, combat boot on the instep, breaking many bones, and more.

Wabi, like many others, you've asked a dufus Q solely to increase your count. If you were 25 and had those abilities, the Q would never have occurred to you., I speak from experience. Four decades ago, I was the baddest SOB in the Valley. That was then. Now I must be clever, as should most of us. Gray hair equals easy target, eh? So get 'them" to underestimate you. Carry a hardwood cane with a quarter-kilo or slightly more head and now you look even easier. The idea isn't to be a Judas, but rather to be underestimated if you are targeted. Canada, you say? They ain't got guns, so you'll win if you swing the thing a couple of times in the morning as your limber-up exercise. RCMP will frown on a Dundee size knife, an unexplained length of pipe, and so forth. But a gray haired guy's cane? You win on the street and in the court.
RB
hot grits
thought everyone carried a blade.
SUV in liberal areas
I need my beaty sleep, goodnight kind folks.
Horse and lasso + tree

It you have a bat, you better have a ball and glove.
Cold Steel

[Linked Image from pics.knifecenter.com]

Old school cool
Posted By: gemby58 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Lazer

That’s actually a good idea, I think the antifa used those during the riots. Most had no defense for potential eye damage.

get a military grade laser, not potential but eye damage
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I used to carry a short 3/4" diameter piece of rebar wrapped in athletic tape when I was in High School, in case I had to wail on someone. Never had to put it to use, but I came close once - the messikan I was preparing to fight came at me with one of those de-brainers like the one posted above so I backed off.

In high school I carried a rail road spike in my coat pocket and a wagon wheel spoke in my book bag.

Some of you might actually know from whom I got the idea for the wagon wheel spoke.
Posted By: joken2 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

[Linked Image from easternperformance.com]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Mag light !!!?
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

It you have a bat, you better have a ball and glove.

Fair call. How about a skateboard?
A CB antenna and ice pic
12" metric adjustable wrench in a pocket to tighten a knucklehead up if needed.
lol just carry a blade ...
Dem brass knucks is pretty ! A Buck 112 is my usual carry.Have a Ruger MK .22 under the truck seat and a length of axe handle in the door pocket.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
12" metric adjustable wrench in a pocket to tighten a knucklehead up if needed.

What if you need to loosen a standard-sized nut?? Will a “metric adjustable wrench” work, or do you have to buy a “SAE adjustable wrench”???
Posted By: KC Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

I keep a youth size baseball bat tucked into the corner next to the front door. When I open the door, nobody can see or reach the bat, except me.
An SUV seems to work pretty well.
Check out your laws on cap and ball revolvers.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
A CB antenna and ice pic

Van damme did pretty good with a car antennae in Lionheart.
Posted By: drover Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

Ideas?

Kimber Self Defense Pepper Blaster - non-lethal but it will slow an assailant down long enough to get away.

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/primary/344/344219.jpg?imwidth=320
Don’t know anyone that wants their ass whipped with a dog toy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I damn near threw a tennis ball through my dogs rib cage with that thing. I laughed, dog was pissed !

My bad, little buddy !

😬🦫
I reckon a good 5 to 7 inch knife would be satisfying.

I've carried a slip joint single blade folder every day since I was about 8. Only the last decade or so have I started carrying larger blades.

Ideas?

It all depends on three main factors:

1. What your personal needs are and if you want a less lethal option.
2. What kind of training is available for that weapon in your area.
3. How much training do you wish to put forth to become proficient with the weapon.

My view is that the training usually trump's the choice of weapon. Make a list and PM me as a reminder. I'll help you narrow that selection and possibly offer options that you may not think of. There are far more options than most of us would consider that are available. I think you are on the right track with your question. It will be helpful to know what the state code says concerning weapons laws too.

I look forward to hearing from you after the next couple days as I will be spending more time tending to personal matters.

Happy Camper
Originally Posted by joken2

That was one of my first weapons.
Seventh grade.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Seventh grade.

Given to you by the jesus?
Gap wedge.
lol just carry a blade ...

I never have just one.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Gap wedge.

Driver....Wider arc, more torque

😝🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Gap wedge.

😝🦫

De fugg is all that?
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don’t know anyone that wants their ass whipped with a dog toy.

I’m sure JiminTen-C would take you up on your offer…….😂

Seventh grade.

It was given to me by my Dad who was a champion boxer in the military. It was from his Harley and made in shop class....HIS shop and HIS class. I had various belt buckles that I collected. My favorite was a puter tarantula casting.

However the Lord gave me all kinds of weapons.
" Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:"
Psalm 144 !
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gap wedge.

😝🦫

De fugg is all that?

🦫
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by High_Noon

In high school I carried a rail road spike in my coat pocket and a wagon wheel spoke in my book bag.

Some of you might actually know from whom I got the idea for the wagon wheel spoke.

Would it have been Elmer Keith by any chance that provided the idea for the wagon spoke? Did you have the local blacksmith drill a hole in the end of it to run a string through?? LOL

Seventh grade.

It was given to me by my Dad who was a champion boxer in the military. It was from his Harley and made in shop class....HIS shop and HIS class. I had various belt buckles that I collected. My favorite was a puter tarantula casting.

" Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:"
Psalm 144 !

Pics of the belt, toggled.

LOL

Seventh grade.

Psalm 144 !

So god wouldn't give you one, felt bad and got you a socket set and some coffee instead?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gap wedge.

😝🦫

De fugg is all that?

🦫

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Skateboard. The left says they are legal.
You're welcome.
George
Posted By: shaman Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Claw hammer.

After my first home invasion, I went out and bought a bag of them from the dime store. I had one in every room of the house.

It was a hot night, and I'd been working on my house all day and I was lying naked on the bed when 2 guys came in. I grabbed my claw hammer out of my tool belt and backed them down the stairs. They weren't out to get me; they wanted to visit the hooker that used to live on the 3rd floor.

There are a few good Youtubes out there explaining their use. I grew up in a construction family. Dad showed me around the claw hammer and the spade shovel. He had to keep saying, "But don't do it this way, you'll kill the guy."
dont use a skate board
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Redneck Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
I crafted a 'knee-capper' from a Win Classic take-off barrel. Installed a rather large hex nut on the muzzle end... Used either way, it WILL leave a mark..
A piece of 5/16' 7x17 cable worn in your belt loop (with or without a padlock (or pointy things) added to the working end) can be useful for a multitude of purposes.

1) Lock up a bike (or skateboard).

2) Lock up a car wheel in a sketchy neighboorhood.

3) Motivate a pit bull to seek snackage elsewhere.

Length will vary based on your girth.
Posted By: Deans Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Lazer

get a military grade laser, not potential but eye damage

Exactly, you can't do anything if you can't see.
Posted By: 673 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Your response to an assailant would depend on the weapon they have.
A knife is the most practical for a defense to empty hand attack against you, but.......I was attacked with an axe..........so I grabbed what was handy and that was a shovel......I won........they went to the hospital and I went home.

Having a fundamental understanding of the "angles of evasion" and the clever use of your hands are where its at.
Knife.
Hands.
Cue ball in a sock!
Posted By: elkmtb Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
The Waco bikers had padlocks on a length of rope. Swinging it around like Wonder Woman.
Originally Posted by slumlord
hot grits

Hell yeah! Dat biotch hit him square in da face with a pot of hot grits!!!

Stuck on him like hot grits!!!

Death by hot grits!!!
When I lived in KA I used a broken axe handle and left the head in my truck. That way if I had to use it I could claim I was needing a new handle and it wouldn't be considered a weapon.

I also, like a black jack!
Posted By: 673 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by sactoller
When I lived in KA I used a broken axe handle and left the head in my truck. That way if I had to use it I could claim I was needing a new handle and it wouldn't be considered a weapon.

I also, like a black jack!

I keep a short stick, otherwise known up here as a "paki whacker" in all of my vehicles, one at the front door and back door of my house, also one at the door of my shop, for the annoying visitor's that aren't welcome.

A short stick that won't easily break is an awesome weapon in the hands of the unskilled, but if one wants to be skilled slightly.....go down and take some Eskrima lessons from the Phillipino's....perfectly legal.
All the fights I was ever in were over pretty quickly. Which is good, because if you've ever competed you know how fast a person in less than excellent condition wears out. Of you're old and slow you had better have it in your hand before the fight starts. You either get to hit first or second. First has much higher odds of success.

I tell people who don't like guns or fighting to get wasp spray.
Posted By: Stophel Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Lead sap. But they're often more tightly regulated than guns are!.... if that is even a concern.
https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=9406
Posted By: colodog Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
A walking stick like the ones Cold Steel makes with a head knocker knob on the end.
Kimber Pepper Blaster is pretty good. Points like a gun, 2 shots, range is 13 ft and shoots at over 100mph.

Kimber Pepper Blaster Review
If you can't carry a firearm, carry a knife.

That said, what the very vast majority of people need is training. Most people are grossly incompetent and are delusional if they think that they will suddenly have the skills to handle a younger stronger, skilled attacker/attackers.

I cannot tell you how many times over the course of carrying a gun for a living for decades I have had dudes square up/ bow up and say something to the effect of:

I am not going jail
I am not going back to prison
I am going to whup your ass
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

only to find themselves being made into an asphalt angel and wondering what just happened.

It was not because I was bigger, or stronger.

It is simply because, much like shooting, lifting weights, running, or anything else, you have to actually develop skill sets and maintain them.

Martial skills require training and practice.

Men, primarily due to egos puff up. They cannot stand the reality check of someone either telling or showing them that they are grossly under prepared or incompetent and that their fantasies of sending the bad men scurrying like in the movies is simply not reality. Going and taking some Brazilian jiu-jitsu will humble you pretty quickly, especially when you are 200 pounds and a 140 pound dude whos 6"s shorter than you destroys you in 30 seconds.

My old partner was a serious BJJ practitioner and a little dude. He was quite advanced in the sport, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the upper hand on him. Neither could anyone else in my organization. He checked a lot of egos.

So before you go and buy a magic talisman and think that it will ward off evil, remember that there are over 3,000 BJJ gyms in the US alone and a BUNCH of mixed martial arts gyms that practice other forms. So relying on "Hope" as a strategy that your attackers will be weak and/or incompetent is foolish at best. Most attackers make a point of not attacking stronger opponents. They attack prey that they believe they can overpower/dominate.

Bottom line is you may want to consider doing something besides buying a stick and relying on hope.
They come with a warning no to fire within 2ft of your target. Anyone know why?
I bought my daughter a monkey fist key chain. Basically a 1" steel ball wrapped into a paracord lanyard. Would hate to get my melon dinged with that!

Have had one on my person daily for the last fifty years.
I like blades.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That said, what the very vast majority of people need is training. Most people are grossly incompetent and are delusional if they think that they will suddenly have the skills to handle a younger stronger, skilled attacker/attackers.

I cannot tell you how many times over the course of carrying a gun for a living for decades I have had dudes square up/ bow up and say something to the effect of:

I am not going jail
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

only to find themselves being made into an asphalt angel and wondering what just happened.

It is simply because, much like shooting, lifting weights, running, or anything else, you have to actually develop skill sets and maintain them.

Men, primarily due to egos puff up. They cannot stand the reality check of someone either telling or showing them that they are grossly under prepared or incompetent and that their fantasies of sending the bad men scurrying like in the movies is simply not reality. Going and taking some Brazilian jiu-jitsu will humble you pretty quickly, especially when you are 200 pounds and a 140 pound dude whos 6"s shorter than you destroys you in 30 seconds.

My old partner was a serious BJJ practitioner and a little dude. He was quite advanced in the sport, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the upper hand on him. Neither could anyone else in my organization. He checked a lot of egos.

So before you go and buy a magic talisman and think that it will ward off evil, remember that there are over 3,000 BJJ gyms in the US alone and a BUNCH of mixed martial arts gyms that practice other forms. So relying on "Hope" as a strategy that your attackers will be weak and/or incompetent is foolish at best. Most attackers make a point of not attacking stronger opponents. They attack prey that they believe they can overpower/dominate.

Bottom line is you may want to consider doing something besides buying a stick and relying on hope.

LOL thank you for that!
Posted By: memtb Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

Without reading all of the posts.....has anyone suggested a large catapult? 🤔 Asking for a friend! 😉 memtb
As a beekeeper I always have a couple of hive tools close by.
[Linked Image from dadant.com][Linked Image from dadant.com]
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned a chain and padlock. It's what a lot of bikers carry.
Posted By: Steve Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
As a beekeeper I always have a couple of hive tools close by.
[Linked Image from dadant.com][Linked Image from dadant.com]

I have several but I don't think any would be my first or second choice given other options.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned a chain and padlock. It's what a lot of bikers carry.

Also now known as the “Rosenbaum”

🦫
Can’t quite picture Wabi packin’ a skateboard.
Bommy knocker.
Rape whistle.

shillelagh
Originally Posted by Raferman
Rape whistle.

Pink or candy stripe?

Mine is candy stripe pink, but it did cost extra.
I got a broke axe handle in the truck.... close to hand.
Where I live guns are legal to carry concealed or visible, without or with a permit.. I'm old and can't fight or run any longer, but I am a good shot, so guess what I drag around.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Love my black jack…
Posted By: colodog Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21

There you go being reasonable and basing your comment on reality.
Thank you!

This is The 'fire so, please don't make it a habit. crazy
Utility of any NFW is very situation specific.
For example, consider being attacked while strapped into the driver's seat of a vehicle versus being jumped in a parking lot.

I am not going jail
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

Knife should be a given like Roger said.

Like Mackay stated, join a MMA gym. Train in BJJ every chance you get. Go to at least 1 boxing or Muay Thai class a week.

Nothing wrong with having good non-firearm weapons but if you're close enough to hit someone with something you're close enough for them to take you down and then you're toast if you aren't skilled (standing or on the ground).

Originally Posted by RicksonGracie

I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/26/21
Your intellect
Perhaps the best is a strong bear spray?

Remember guys, I'm 77 years old.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21
I want the pipe with which Conrad beat a steer to death. I would take it to the slappy hamsters school of fighting, he's a "weapons man" you know.

Pardon the obscure Ronin quote.

mike r
I’ll kill you with my tea cup

🦫
Perhaps the best is a strong bear spray?

Remember guys, I'm 77 years old.

No one has ever forgotten that. I thought you were older actually
Posted By: dassa Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21

Ideas?

If you live in an area that doesn't allow firearms for self defense, your best weapon is a moving van.
Originally Posted by dassa

Ideas?

If you live in an area that doesn't allow firearms for self defense, your best weapon is a moving van.

Cabin in Canada.
Posted By: Huntz Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Ball Pein hammer

First started in construction there was two Pagan outlaw bikers on the crew. Carried a ball peen hammer in a holder mounted to the frame of their Harley’s. Called it a “traffic cop”. Said if a car got too close a window or mirror got smashed.

A handfull of 1" ball bearings tossed over your shoulder works wonders on cars tailgating bikes.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Ball Pein hammer

A handfull of 1" ball bearings tossed over your shoulder works wonders on cars tailgating bikes.

A pissed off driver in a car works wonders on a bike.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Ball Pein hammer

Always used old spark plugs from the tuneup
man's trashcan out in the shop
Baseball bat.

I thought everyone carried a blade. Buck has a slick 110 Slim knife with a clip that goes everywhere with me. Practice opening it discreetly. Surprise is an effective tool as well. Awareness buys you time, time buys you options.

Something I keep in the door pocket of my truck is a sap. We made our own when I was in high school, but they are certainly functional. The main thing is to win.
Cane fu.....

Any place, especially at YOUR cabin, there are weapons all over the place, if you know how to use them. At 77, I’d just use the gun and deal with what came from it. Wouldn’t likely mind dying too bad at that age, so responding folks might wanna tread lightly. Jail, on the other hand, would not be on my list of options at 77.

If you got a cabin someplace that wont let you defend yourself effectively, the solution is not the best non gun weapon for a 77 year old, it’s the best real estate agent to sell that place and GTFO. Just my two cents.
Whenever I go into a sketchy neighborhood, I wear a good pair of tennis shoes.

And I take my wife.

She always wears heels.
And, I do trust in our Lord. He's been very good to me.
Posted By: bcp Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21

"What should i carry in a dangerous place?"

"Don't go there."

Bruce
Chainsaw?….nobody messes with a guy swinging a running saw.
1- screw driver
2- chain in a sock
Sword cane. stealth and surprise is always a good thing.

https://www.coldsteel.com/walking-sticks-canes/sword/

Originally Posted by reivertom
Sword cane. stealth and surprise is always a good thing.

https://www.coldsteel.com/walking-sticks-canes/sword/

Always wanted one of those.
You want some of this?
And, I do trust in our Lord. He's been very good to me.

Hang on - so do you still need that non-firearm weapon then?
Posted By: RJY66 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by slumlord
hot grits

Hell yeah! Dat biotch hit him square in da face with a pot of hot grits!!!

Stuck on him like hot grits!!!

Death by hot grits!!!

I've heard tell that back in the day in these parts, when dazzling urbanites were mostly denied their second amendment rights by white supremacists, in addition to knifing, clubbing, and beating each other with their bare hands, they would employ the use of lye as a weapon. It would "leave a mark".....forever.....white spots from scar tissue where the chemical burn healed. I suspect blindness might have been on the table in some cases.

Wouldn't begin to know where to tell Wabi to acquire lye these days.
You could always strip. Nobody wants to fight a nekid man.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21

Baseball bat
My dad used to tell me. When in a tight spot. Be the firstest with the mostest.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21

Ideas?

Move
The tubular aluminum cane I need to use because of a motorcycle wreck several years ago has a pound of bullet casting lead poured into the tip. Then there's the lockback knife I keep clipped into my left pocket. Either one or both of them might be deployed before I go for my carry piece in the IWB holster on my right hip, depending on circumstances.
Originally Posted by cra1948

Ideas?

Move

He can't. He has a cabin in Ontario.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21

Carry a hangun anyway- legal or not. In the gravest extreme.............
Thermonuclear device...........
Posted By: stantdm Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Hickory tire knocker. Truck stop for $8

This, with a wrist lanyard so they can't take it away too easily and use it on you.
So in a real-world fight...... A skateboard has proven ineffective but it was available. Moot now. Grab whatever weapon is available when you need it. What hasn't been mentioned is situational awareness. That is #1. Never put your back to the door or any other blind spot. Get away at any cost unless it involves saving someone. Get the upper-hand and use it. Fight to kill if there is no other option. A stick won't win a gunfight. The correct attitude will. As has been said, a little training will go a long ways. BJJ, wrestling, boxing, whatever you have in your area. Most of these punks are just that and look for an easy target. Don't be an easy target.
Carry yourself like someone who shouldn't be messed with. That works 90 percent of the time whether you're 15 or 75.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21
Big protective dog.
Posted By: victoro Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21

I can't remember when I didn't carry a pocket knife. I carried a switch blade knife when I was going to elementary school in San Antonio (everybody else had one).
i'm 70. when i can't carry a pistol or knife, as in flying, i carry a hickory cane. i actually need it sometimes. i know one defensive move. you don't want to be on the other end of it. but if i miss? well, that's something else ... smile
Posted By: victoro Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 11/27/21
Originally Posted by fish30ought6
i'm 70. when i can't carry a pistol or knife, as in flying, i carry a hickory cane. i actually need it sometimes. i know one defensive move. you don't want to be on the other end of it. but if i miss? well, that's something else ... smile

I always carry a pocket knife and put it in my luggage if flying. I forgot to put it my luggage one time and didn't realize it until the tray with all my pocket stuff went through the scanner and I was putting everything back in my pockets. The TSA "experts" didn't notice my pocket knife so I just put it back in my pocket and got on the plane.
A big can of wasp and hornet spray. You are limited to a very small can of pepper gel in NC. The cheap wasp spray I buy at the hardware store reaches out 25 feet. If I can identify the threat that far away I won't get any blowback. If I'm jumped I guess we will both be blinded..
Posted By: shootem Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

Baseball bat

It’s a good idea to keep one, along with a ball & glove 😉, in the truck just in case somebody wants to play a game. At my age I’d have to bat first……..then start over.

🦫

That’s funny I just finished a coyote off that still had a little kick left in him today with one
Originally Posted by Nestucca

🦫

That’s funny I just finished a coyote off that still had a little kick left in him today with one

You went JFK on it’s head with a chain and lock ?

Holy Shît !

LMAO
🦫
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
This Coffin handle full tang De Leon Bowie sports a 10 inch ATS 34 blade...
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
This Coffin handle full tang De Leon Bowie sports a 10 inch ATS 34 blade...

Nice!
I’ve got one of his Bowie Knives also. He made some nice knifes.
If I remember correctly, he was from somewhere around the Lubbock, TX area. Used to see him at Gun Shows 25 he’s ago in N TX.
Originally Posted by Lockhart
A big can of wasp and hornet spray. You are limited to a very small can of pepper gel in NC. The cheap wasp spray I buy at the hardware store reaches out 25 feet. If I can identify the threat that far away I won't get any blowback. If I'm jumped I guess we will both be blinded..

I don't recommend inhaling it or getting it on the skin, but the solution has been proven to not work at all for defense against people.
Posted By: bcp Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Spray soap. Slip away while his eyes are stinging.

smile

Bruce
A good non firearm weapon?

Your mind.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
A good non firearm weapon?

Your mind.

To be frank, his mind isn't that impressive.

Gotcha wabi.
Once upon a time a pen was mighter than the sword, is what some now dead dude reckoned anyway
Posted By: JSTUART Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Once upon a time a pen was mighter than the sword, is what some now dead dude reckoned anyway

Depends entirely upon who is wielding which.
Ok, sheesh.

Stun gun flash light.

Push the button and let them see and hear lightning crackle.

Guaranteed to straighten knappy hair.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Geno67 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Has anyone mentioned a change purse?

Posted By: wldthg Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Make yourself an ash walking cane with a ball peen hammer head as the handle
Trebuchet
Posted By: WMR Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
I think the OP's idea of pepper spray is best, though perhaps not an option in Canada, as I think they regulate that too. An edged weapon or a blunt instrument would likely just be taken away from an older person and used by the attacker to kill him. A dog requires a lot of care, but would likely be the best option for many.
Thinking about a plastic pipe I can carry in the plyer pocket, drill a hole for a lanyard.
Once in Canada.[img]https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sabre-frontiersman-bear-spray-bike-holster-1759474p.html#srp[/img]
Posted By: WMR Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/04/21
Thinking about a plastic pipe I can carry in the plyer pocket, drill a hole for a lanyard.

Choose a small one so your assailant will have a hard time beating you to death with it. If legal, get the spray but be sure it's ok with the local authorities. Maybe just an air horn. Might scare the bejeebers out of them without getting you arrested. And stay out of bars after the dinner hour. That alone can eliminate a lot of risk.
I'm thinking plastic, it will pass the medal detectors.
Good thread
When you get to be my age, running is not so fast!
Akita
Uncle pimpy's axe palace.

Googlefu it.

Wasp spray works better than pepper spray. Just sayinn...
Posted By: Geno67 Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/05/21
I often make things just to see if I can do a better job or a lower cost semblance of things I could buy. This was made from a 7/8" bamboo mop handle, 20 ounce solid brass handle, a store bought tip and good two part boat epoxy. The tip is slightly too large and I should replace it for it to be perfect but it doesn't bother me nearly as much now as when I first made it. It is insanely strong, very slightly springy and perfectly balanced. I haven't whacked anything with it as it's purpose is a cane but it was built for it if needed.

I'm thinking plastic, it will pass the medal detectors.

So will a ceramic knife...

Harbor Freight sells them for $8
Here's one made from a pine mop handle and a hollow brass porpoise. I filled the porpoise with no. 4 shot and epoxy to get the weight right. It's very comfortable, stable and sturdy but not as much as the ball head one. Also not springy at all. A hook in a cane adds a whole new dimension if it ever has to be used for defense and the owner is willing to train. I bought the porpoise head advertised as solid. Their definition of solid brass and mine were not the same.

Posted By: cs2blue Re: A good non firearm weapon? - 12/05/21
When asked I have suggested for the non firearms folks for home based defense the following suggestions. Place a golf club behind every lockable interior door that controls access to a room. That way each room could become your alamo and a striking weapon is in place if needed. Baseball bats are just as useful none of the are illegal. Last, those items can be purchased at yard sales for cheap and add security without much output of time or money.
Next up on the hit parade but not for defense unless last ditch. This is a piece of red stag antler I got already carved from ebay. I have a piece of 1" bocote with serious character for the shaft but I haven't gotten around to making it yet.

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I am not going jail
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

Knife should be a given like Roger said.

Like Mackay stated, join a MMA gym. Train in BJJ every chance you get. Go to at least 1 boxing or Muay Thai class a week.

Nothing wrong with having good non-firearm weapons but if you're close enough to hit someone with something you're close enough for them to take you down and then you're toast if you aren't skilled (standing or on the ground).

Originally Posted by RicksonGracie

I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim.

How dafuk is an old fart like myself with reconstructed shoulders and knees going to do any sort of Muay Thai or BJJ?
Interesting read. Just be nice......

All the weapons in the world are useless without two things. First, you have to know what is coming before it gets you. Second, you have to have the mindset and will to use whatever you have to win, no matter what. If you don’t have these, avoidance and impeccable conversation skills are your best bet. Best way to win a fight? Don’t be there for it. Anything else is Plan B.
I carry one of those heavy duty ASP batons.
https://www.coldsteel.com/honey-comb/

Originally Posted by bcp

"What should i carry in a dangerous place?"

"Don't go there."

Bruce

You want to defend yourself.
The above is the most effective thing going.
When possible follow it.

Started long haul trucking at 21.
Ran 48 states and Canada. Guns, big knives, pepper spray, brass knuckles,
Even tire billies were illegal somewhere.

Carried a 3" plain blade lockback, a knockoff Mag-lite, and used a
ball pien as a tire knocker. The light and hammer were kept by the seat, with a can of foaming wasp spray.

The biggest thing is to avoid trouble.
I couldn't choose my locations, but when possible I did.

Park where you have lighting, if possible.
As close to the buildings as possible.
Only walk where you can maintain a good field of vision.
Keep your eyes moving, check all movement.
Be careful of corners.
Bathrooms were always a concern for me.
Usually deserted at night, blind corners, secluded, tight quarters,
Usually only one exit, and you are pretty vulnerable poppingva squat.
Didn't use the sketchy ones to take a leak. Was much better to
just "cool the tires".
Lot's of good advice, Thanks all!
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
All the weapons in the world are useless without two things. First, you have to know what is coming before it gets you. Second, you have to have the mindset and will to use whatever you have to win, no matter what. If you don’t have these, avoidance and impeccable conversation skills are your best bet. Best way to win a fight? Don’t be there for it. Anything else is Plan B.

I Agree!
© 24hourcampfire