Home
With the stock market getting pummeled today over the newest Rona bologna...

... and the inevitable "Cyber Attack rending the The US Treasury Powerless"... how much cash (or other "currency") do you keep on hand?

...and for anyone looking to rob me personally... my address is 1060 W Addison St., Chicago, IL 60613
Ammunition makes pretty good currency.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

So does intelligence...

Sorry to hear about your bankruptcy...
Get a grip on your grief.

Drop it Ballz... YOU DO NOT GET TO CLAIM VICTIM-HOOD OVER STUFF IN MY WORLD.
Usually about a 1000.00, any less, I feel broke.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

You drop it. I made a simple comment about ammo being good currency, you gotta go and act like a dick. Grow up.
I keep an envelope of cash in my gun safe. Its my rainy day money, I try not to let it go below $1K, usually its a little more.

I'm not sure what the amount is but if a situation arises where you need more than a couple of thousand of cash on hand, then money is worthless at that point anyways. Grab the gun.
Depends what you mean by cash on hand. In wallet, home or checking account ?
A lot more than I would ever post on the ‘net
Originally Posted by Calvin

But you post that.

You drop it. I made a simple comment about ammo being good currency, you gotta go and act like a dick. Grow up.

Ballz... game on.

I told you keep you bleeding vagina out of my posts... you can't help it... you get it... move over Flave.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Kinda the nature of the post...

You sound prepared... good on you.
enough
Wrigley huh? You wearing sunglasses at night?
I have a change jar full of pennies and nickels.
Not a lot.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not a lot.

Fair answer... I figure you are alot like 90% of Americans...

But what if/when that inevitable cyber attack hits and locks out 100% of you banking/pension.
Chicago toll change.
Is it gonna be worth a shít?

We don't keep hardly any cash.

I tend to convert cash into "inventory" and store it that way.
Not a lot.

Fair answer... I figure you are alot like 90% of Americans...

But what if/when that inevitable cyber attack hits and locks out 100% of you banking/pension.

What would you need to buy?

Who would you buy it from? Especially if they are as shut down as you are.
Originally Posted by Stammster
Wrigley huh? You wearing sunglasses at night?

He's on a mission from God.
It seems there was a bank strike in England.

People kept writing checks, trading checks, and many predicted a train wreck when it was over.

Not so.
CashisKing;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that the Thanksgiving weekend is behaving for you all and you're well.

If I may, I'll add another scenario for you which happened to us here in rural BC.

It was 2003 and a fairly major forest fire started just a wee bit down the road. The cause eventually turned out to be an eagle landing on a power pole or at least that's my understanding. The bird didn't make it, the power went off for a fairly large chunk of the neighborhood and the fire started, that much I know.

The local gas station, as well as a food mart had a generator, but there was no inner webs so all transactions needed to be completed with cash.

It was a hot Okanagan day right around 100° and windy, so in short order we were given a half hour to load the horses and evacuate our property - which we did, then dropped over to pick up my Mother in Law who was on 15 minute alert.

Now we had our family and her to take care of and no transactions of any kind were possible without cash anywhere in town.

Anyways, we're fairly stocked with all sorts of things that the uncertain vagaries of life might throw our way here in rural BC, so along with tools to fight a fire and clear a road if we needed to do that to evacuate, we had enough cash to buy all we'd need for a week and enough to lend out to any of our neighbors who didn't have the cash on hand.

Just like the 10lb fire extinguisher, the 8000lb winch, recovery gear, water, food and a noise maker of some description, it never hurts to be prepared.

All the best to you all this Thanksgiving sir, may none of us ever need the emergency gear we've got ready.

Dwayne

Ballz... game on.

I told you keep you bleeding vagina out of my posts... you can't help it... you get it... move over Flave.

Good gawd.

Grief? I thought that was funny as hell.
18 dimes...

There's enough around for private purchase guns and illegal narcotics.
Some people have made the decision to plan for a short event, as well as a medium and/or long lasting one. It all revolves around how long it lasts methinks.

Some people like cash, silver coins, gold, oil, and lead...
With the stock market getting pummeled today over the newest Rona bologna...

... and the inevitable "Cyber Attack rending the The US Treasury Powerless"... how much cash (or other "currency") do you keep on hand?

...and for anyone looking to rob me personally... my address is 1060 W Addison St., Chicago, IL 60613

Now, there is a bold question to ask on a public forum. whistle
I always have some emergency cash in the gun safe. A few months ago I got to thinking if the house was to catch on fire no way the cash would survive even in the safe. Ordered up a fire proof bag from Amazon and it now resides in that inside the safe.
I keep a years worth of bare expenses on hand. It’s hidden on property not in the safe or in the house that could burn down. Well hidden and not disturbed. It’s there if I need it and my son knows where if I were dead or otherwise incapacitated. I keep another ten grand in a safe for use.
I always pull money from my accounts if they total over five grand. Either invest it or put it in the safe. If they seize my accounts they’re not going to break me.
Oops, I forgot. In ten years or less all transactions will be electronic, so make sure you spend that money before it is no good to you. As you say "use it or loose it".
Originally Posted by BC30cal
CashisKing;

Now we had our family and her to take care of and no transactions of any kind were possible without cash anywhere in town.

Anyways, we're fairly stocked with all sorts of things that the uncertain vagaries of life might throw our way here in rural BC, so along with tools to fight a fire and clear a road if we needed to do that to evacuate, we had enough cash to buy all we'd need for a week and enough to lend out to any of our neighbors who didn't have the cash on hand.

Just like the 10lb fire extinguisher, the 8000lb winch, recovery gear, water, food and a noise maker of some description, it never hurts to be prepared.

All the best to you all this Thanksgiving sir, may none of us ever need the emergency gear we've got ready.

Dwayne

I see what you did there!

and my answer is, as in all things money related......................Not Enough!
if the banking system crashes and people cant get access to cash or do electronic transactions, every grocery store in America is gonna look like an Antifa protest in about 3 days
$20-$40 dollars
A while back, a whole sale car dealer was traveling from a Southern state to a car auction in Buffalo, NY. Cop stopped him for speeding and searched his car, seized $30,000 he had in cash. He struggled to get his money back for a year, and they kept it.

What law allows the cops to do this, and would this also apply to your home? Not that I have $30,000 in my home...I wish!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have a change jar full of pennies and nickels.

I keep a glass ash tray on my chest of drawers. It's got some quarters in it for the shopping carts when I go to Aldi for almond milk and cashews.

When I'm in high cotton, it's probably holdin a double saw.
In the TV series, Bret Maverick kept a $1000 bill pinned to the inside of his coat for emergencies.

When my wife wanted raw fish Japanese food from a restaurant that took cash only.... I had to carry cash....$50 bill would pay for two and a tip.

The restaurant owner was driving a Ferrari, and I assumed he was cheating on his taxes.

But now they take no cash, only credit, because they got robbed.
I think I still have the same $5 dollar bill in my wallet that the Command Sergeant Major would ask to see in case one of your soldiers needed a haircut. blush
I don't keep nearly enough on hand. Most liquid is in either our local town savings account or our main bank (bigger bank, not local).

Have a friend who had a fair amount stolen from his house. Another friend that had to run to a room in the back of his house during a house fire to grab his stash (house didn't burn down and it would have been fine). Those things are kinda scary....probably just go with mason jars.
CashisKing;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that the Thanksgiving weekend is behaving for you all and you're well.

If I may, I'll add another scenario for you which happened to us here in rural BC.

It was 2003 and a fairly major forest fire started just a wee bit down the road. The cause eventually turned out to be an eagle landing on a power pole or at least that's my understanding. The bird didn't make it, the power went off for a fairly large chunk of the neighborhood and the fire started, that much I know.

The local gas station, as well as a food mart had a generator, but there was no inner webs so all transactions needed to be completed with cash.

It was a hot Okanagan day right around 100° and windy, so in short order we were given a half hour to load the horses and evacuate our property - which we did, then dropped over to pick up my Mother in Law who was on 15 minute alert.

Dwayne

Dwayne... you manner and presentation is always a a joy to read... Thank You...

I went thru quite a few hurricanes down south and a bunch of forests fires out west... so I clearly understand your summary. My point (in general) is "then" we were not 99.9% reliant on a www... and now we are.

I try very hard to never judge the decisions of a man... in the same way I do not want mine judged or controlled.

This was mostly a theoretical question...

If Mr. Conrad needed tires or a clutch for a tractor... and the NAPA would not take sheep on trade... i.e. What are the "Plan B" of folks?

I have found Cash to be an excellent lubricant for many problems... but if Mr. Wabbi offered only a Bible as trade I would have to decline him, because I already have and read our family Bible.

...we're fairly stocked with all sorts of things that the uncertain vagaries of life might throw our way here in rural BC, so along with tools to fight a fire and clear a road if we needed to do that to evacuate, we had enough cash to buy all we'd need for a week and enough to lend out to any of our neighbors who didn't have the cash on hand.

Dwayne

What if a week turned into a year?

Kinda like "2 weeks... just to flatten the curve." is now turning into 10 years...
There’s some damn sure high cotton wealthy dudes on here lol.

I used to keep a couple grand in 20s so I could pop smoke and get by for a bit. It slowly eroded. Now I keep enough in hand for a can of snuff and a couple tall boys.
Furnace took a chit, guy came over and fixed it.
Was late in day when done.

Pulled the cash from an envelope in gun safe.
Always keep some around for stuff like that.

Gave the kids their Xmas cash ahead of Black Friday, from the envelope.
My Xmas "shopping" is done.

And all I have left is an empty envelope.
Takes a while to fill it, doesn't take long to empty it.

Originally Posted by keith
A while back, a whole sale car dealer was traveling from a Southern state to a car auction in Buffalo, NY. Cop stopped him for speeding and searched his car, seized $30,000 he had in cash. He struggled to get his money back for a year, and they kept it.

What law allows the cops to do this, and would this also apply to your home? Not that I have $30,000 in my home...I wish!

Civil Asset Forfeiture.
If you have what a cop determines to be too much cash, he can confiscate it
under the assumption that having it indicates a crime. Either that it is dirty
money, or miney you were going to use to commit a crime.

And unless you can prove it's legit, you can not get it back.

It's a huge LE scam. Get pulled over for speeding, cop smells someone
going by burning a fatty, or someone burning leaves?

Probable Cause Baby!
He asks what's in your car, can he look.
He sees your gun show stash.
Only $1200.
But he is a millennial, never carried over $50 in his life.

You money is "properly" confiscated.
You, are free to go.
You can get a lawyer to help you recover it.
But not for under $1200.

Got to YouTube. Look at Lehto's Law, under Civil Assest Forfeiture.
Hours of videos.
He is a former defense attorney, seems like an OK guy.
Lots of videos of what's wrong with our legal system.
Also, his current practice is Lemon Law cases, he is a car guy.

OP,
Enough that if we ever need to survive on it,
things will be better, or apocalyptic, before we are broke.

But that's only a couple weeks.

Blows my mind how little cash idiots have.
Guy at work has been unable to buy gas or chew several
times when the credit card system goes down.

I've told him to fold 2 20s and a 10 and keep them for a rainy day.
He refuses. I don't get it. He frequently travels 200 miles from home.
Damnedif I'd be doing that without the cash to buy fuel to get home.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by keith

Civil Asset Forfeiture.
If you have what a cop determines to be too much cash, he can confiscate it
under the assumption that having it indicates a crime. Either that it is dirty
money, or miney you were going to use to commit a crime.

And unless you can prove it's legit, you can not get it back.

It's a huge LE scam. Get pulled over for speeding, cop smells someone
going by burning a fatty, or someone burning leaves?

Probable Cause Baby!
He asks what's in your car, can he look.
He sees your gun show stash.
Only $1200.
But he is a millennial, never carried over $50 in his life.

You money is "properly" confiscated.
You, are free to go.
You can get a lawyer to help you recover it.
But not for under $1200.

Got to YouTube. Look at Lehto's Law, under Civil Assest Forfeiture.
Hours of videos.
He is a former defense attorney, seems like an OK guy.
Lots of videos of what's wrong with our legal system.
Also, his current practice is Lemon Law cases, he is a car guy.

Thanks Reagan
I have to stock cash in both homes, but I usually gave a few thousand in each place. You just never know…..
I prefer cash so I always keep a little in my wallet and a little stashed.

Bb
I keep $700 and a .30-06.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
In the TV series, Bret Maverick kept a $1000 bill pinned to the inside of his coat for emergencies.

When my wife wanted raw fish Japanese food from a restaurant that took cash only.... I had to carry cash....$50 bill would pay for two and a tip.

The restaurant owner was driving a Ferrari, and I assumed he was cheating on his taxes.

But now they take no cash, only credit, because they got robbed.

There's a restaurant in Idaho Falls that still only takes cash. My friend told me the owners are democrats and too cheap to pay credit card fees. I had to explain to him how they were surely running double books and cheating on there taxes. He said do people really do that. I said they are democrats aren't they.

I don't like to go there with people anymore because I always have to buy because others never bring cash even when reminded. One friend thought he had a good thing going until I name him use their $3 fee at and buy after about 3 times of me buying.

Bb
Outside of business travel, most of the people I deal with prefer cash.

It's a goofy crowd. I hope none of them pay taxes.
Originally Posted by ironbender
I keep $700 and a .30-06.

Ain't no trouble you can't fix
How bout bit coin you guys keep some of them in the house
Originally Posted by Valsdad
CashisKing;

Dwayne

I see what you did there!

and my answer is, as in all things money related......................Not Enough!

Geno;
Good afternoon and Happy Thanksgiving weekend to you all my cyber friend.

I trust that despite the recent turbulence in your commuting that you're healing up okay and all else is as well as can be - all things considered and all that.

The line you've highlighted was actually lifted from a Corb Lund song off of one of his early albums.

While this isn't exactly a Thanksgiving sort of a song from him, this rather fits the thread and topic under discussion perhaps?

Anyways sir, I've found that like most things in life I prepare for, I've likely spent too much time preparing for the wrong thing, but I surely am practiced at it..... wink

Sincerely though I hope you and all my 'Fire friends south of the medicine line have a wonderful Thanksgiving long weekend.

Dwayne
I not telling, Toby and Mark will come take it!

What a fugking idiot.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I not telling, Toby and Mark will come take it!

You can’t count past five anyway.

LOL
It's not something I'm going to talk about on the internet.

[bleep] I already did. Somebody's going to try and roll me for my Kodiak and WhiteClaw fund.
I keep a fistful of dollars in one hand and a gun in the other...

Sometimes when I'm in a bank, I don't know whether I'm coming or going.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

[bleep] I already did. Somebody's going to try and roll me for my Kodiak and WhiteClaw fund.

Kodiak fund ?!?

I’m wheels up....

😳🦫
I keep it buried just off the side of the trail to the outhouse.
Easy to keep an eye on it every day.
A little cash and "I don't need a receipt" to an independent business person usually nets at least the taxes waived.

White Claw... or tall boys? Keep your story straight.

I ain't gonna roll anyone for a Claw...

Claw comes in tall boys too. wink

Damn...

That is terrifying...

Damn...

That is terrifying...

I'm trying not to derail your thread, but damn you make it hard. wink

It don't matter anyway... stupid thread... that I should never have started.

Nah man, good intents and all that.

BTW, it's still hard.
Cash;
Good afternoon again sir, thanks for the reply and the kind words you've directed my way, I do appreciate it.

You are very much correct in that our world has changed considerably since that 2003 fire and perhaps not always towards betterment.

We, at least up here, are very much dependent upon the ether space for all sorts of things that we were not then or even half way back then.

For instance, our youngest daughter is a high school teacher and the other day the internet went down all over the city she was teaching in - because of the flooding down in the Lower Mainland and Greater Vancouver area.

She was dismayed to learn that her class of Grade 8 students had no clue how to use a text book!!! shocked

Our eldest was telling us about it as they were chatting on the phone about it last night. I'm not sure who is or was more dismayed about it, the teacher, her sister or her parents, you know? eek

You are also very much correct in that one should have a plan for more than a week and for a fact we've got some contingency plans mapped out that might do for awhile, but I'm fairly certain not anything approaching a year.

As I mentioned to Geno, I tend to be quite skilled at worrying, but much less so about worrying about the correct things somehow.

Thanks again for making me think, for the kind words and all the best to you all this Thanksgiving.

Dwayne
I made my living as a professional gambler at one time. I'm used to carrying cash. I'm also used to the downsides of it, and the precautions that have to be taken. I keep a fair bit in the gun safe but it's not the most valuable thing in there.

In the zero rate environment we've had there's not been much incentive to bank your cash. That may or may not change.

Cash is useful in some situations where you couldn't get it, but only to a point. If things get very bad, the value of cash goes almost to zero.

During natural occurring regional disasters credit / debit and money in checking / bank accounts regardless how much / line of credit is, is typically inaccessible therefore pretty much worthless but cash in hand rules. During a widespread power outage that lasted multiple weeks for many due to a severe ice storm several years back I watched people wanting to buy gasoline / diesel, LP, kerosene, groceries, medicine, etc., etc., get turned down time after time because businesses AND banks / credit unions couldn't process electronic transactions.

As an added suggestion -- also wise to keep some cash in small denominations or else accept the probability of not getting some or any change back.
Good advice in the small denoms

That’s how I roll at yard sales

When I go for some surgery at the hospital, I stuff a bunch of ones in my shoe. Me and my iv pole sneakin out and head to the vending machines. Get me some of them dolly madison rainbow snowballs coconut dusted donuts

Fugg that gray broccoli and unsalted scrambled egg white crap
I try and keep $5K in the safe.

Not for end of times but to snag good deals quickly.

Never bought a dirt bike with ammo like those hillbillies in Oregon.

Lol

BTW, it's still hard.

So hard that a cat couldn't scratch it?
There still are checks.
There still are checks.

Good luck writing a check outside of Pissville USA
Know a guy that had renters that paid cash and some customers that liked to pay cash for a small discount etc. he kept a decent amount around normally.
He kept some around to buy booze my I mean his wife didn’t know about either. If I didn’t, she’d think I he was an alcoholic.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

BTW, it's still hard.

So hard that a cat couldn't scratch it?

Not cool. Christ sakes Jim. Ouch!
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Know a guy that had renters that paid cash and some customers that liked to pay cash for a small discount etc. he kept a decent amount around normally.
He kept some around to buy booze my I mean his wife didn’t know about either. If I didn’t, she’d think I he was an alcoholic.

I know of a guy that does that with things he hammers out.
Originally Posted by slumlord
There still are checks.

Bet there’s a convenience store somewhere in Canada with a bounced check from Wabi posted on the board of Shame.
There still are checks.

In Iowa.

LOL
All of my stimulus money plus tax over payments.

I know a guy that’s scared of his wife too.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

Ha! I know a bunch.

LOL

I’m not scared, I just don’t want to worry her!
Originally Posted by slumlord
There still are checks.

Bet there’s a convenience store somewhere in Canada with a bounced check from Wabi posted on the board of Shame.

Got a polaroid of him with a red line through it 😃

He’s in the shîtbird rolodex on the side counter next to the scratch-offs

Hahaha

LOL

You have to be triple vaccinated, wear a face shield and three masks to buy booze here... So I have Mom do it...

Oh wait... that is wrong... I am not in Oregon.

Carry on...
Five Hunnerd Dollars and a Pump Shotgun

It's all a tale of living, of what a man can be.
Ill pass it on from my life, so maybe you can see.
There's very few things that can't get done
With five hunnerd dollars and a pump shotgun.

It's been passed on to me, from father to the kid.
Sometimes you have to stand tall, sometimes you best be hid.
But a man can always stand tall, he never has to run

There's times when life is fearful, there's times that aren't so good.
When a man does what he has to, when he does just what he should.
But he can keep his house warm, his place there in the sun

One night the prisoners broke out, a few had rushed the gate.
And Daddy heard that they were coming, heading down the interstate.
But they didn't stop at our house, they continued on the run
Cause Dad was on the front porch with a pump shotgun.

Sometimes my Dad worked overtime, sometimes from out of state
My Momma didn't worry when the old man got in late
She knew where Daddy kept them, could grab them on the run
She had five hunnerd dollars and a pump shotgun.

It didn't matter what the trouble, didn't matter what the cause,
If a kid got sick or the roof blew off, it didn't give her pause.
If a wolf got in the chickens, just trying to have some fun
Mom would greet him warmly with a pump shotgun.

And when I started my house, with a baby on the way
Dad came by one evening, said what he had to say
"Remember all your lessons, and do what must be done.
Here's five hunnerd dollars and a pump shotgun."

Copyright 2003 by Dennis Dezendorf

Dezendorf blogs at http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com/
Originally Posted by poboy
I keep it buried just off the side of the trail to the outhouse.
Easy to keep an eye on it every day.

Hell son, I keep mine in the outhouse in a watertight container. Who would ever think to look there? 😎
1 to 2 thousand normally
I try and keep $5K in the safe.

Not for end of times but to snag good deals quickly.

Never bought a dirt bike with ammo like those hillbillies in Oregon.

Lol

Wasn't a dirt bike. Was actually a wheelbarrow.

Lol.
Have a friend who keeps several thousand on hand--money he made on cash deals, so it doesn't get reported on his income tax.
Not me.[Linked Image from miro.medium.com]
I try to keep enough cash on hand so my family can pay the bills and live for a year if something goes haywire.
If you’re keeping cash for a SHTF scenario you’re an idiot. If it’s because you’re hiding money from the IRS, or from your wife, or for convenience it makes perfectly good sense.

Haha.

He saw that Mislynn posted today.

#victim

There still are checks.

Any business (which is most all nowadays) that processes credit / debit payment for sales transactions electronically can not process hard copy checks, either, as they can not verify if check is good, enough balance to cover sale, or transfer amount of sale / payment without electricity and internet connectivity.
I Was Lean'in on my brothers clapped out 98 sable wagon [work beater] at harbor freight a few yrs back... I had been sand blasting and was dirty with shidy clothes and shoes, When a bro rides up on a bike n says " man u gots fi dolla i kin barra" I put on the best sad homeless guy face i could muster and sez "man i aint got nothin either"... He looks at my clothes and the shidbox car and sincerely apologizes for asking!... Next guy comes out wearin fancy leather shoes, dockers and a polo shirt, bro asks him "fo fi dolla" and he nervously says "no, all i have is hundreds!".. I couldn't help but LMFAO As i got outa there before i witnessed a crime!... AS FAR AS HOW MUCH CASH I KEEP ON HAND "MAN I AINT GOT NOTHIN!"... LOL!
Originally Posted by Salty303

Keep Bitcoin ?... You Heard The Story About The Emperors Clothes Right ???
Originally Posted by joken2

There still are checks.

Any business (which is most all nowadays) that processes credit / debit payment for sales transactions electronically can not process hard copy checks, either, as they can not verify if check is good, enough balance to cover sale, or transfer amount of sale / payment without electricity and internet connectivity.

Maybe in crack whore valley Kentucky or fentenal Tennessee, but in Iowa most banks will honor a check from a holder for any amount drawn after calling who wrote it
cash ??k ... twice that in gold dust/flakes so it's easy to deal in smaller units, when paper & electronic cash becomes worthless , gold will rule
1000-1500 on me at all times.
deleted
I keep cash in my wallet at all times +/- $100 and more in the safe.

There still are checks.

Wrong.

I got a bunch of them Byte Coins off of a guy on Craigslist... we met in the old Kmart parking lot, paid cash and he gave me a 5% discount... I asked why they were made of aluminum and he said to keep the government from tracking them... super smart idea.

It was a lot of cash, but I was carrying a knife so I didn't get robbed.

Fella can never be too careful investing in stuff he don't know nothing about.

Sanjay was a really smart guy... he said I will be rich before I know it.

He had spinners on his wheels... you can never go wrong with a guy that drives a flash car like that.
Enuff

None of yer Frizzin' business.
I drive a fair amount for my business. So I keep around $300 - $500 stashed in the truck. Figured I should have enough cash to pay for fuel to get me home in case things go sideways, I lose my money clip or credit cards shut down.

Trying hard to teach the kids to not leave the house without at least $20 in their pocket. I am guessing until they really get hung out somewhere because they have no $, they won't learn.
That - and medicines (when SHTF)...

I keep very little cash in my wallet! I thought I had $5 in there last week, after seeing this I decided to see how much I actually carried. I checked, and found 4 ones and a little change! 🤬 memtb
None. Lost it all when I took my gun safe on a raft trip.
enough to cover 6 months

I don't keep any cash or anything of value. Nothing to steal here. Move along.

I got a bunch of them Byte Coins off of a guy on Craigslist... we met in the old Kmart parking lot, paid cash and he gave me a 5% discount... I asked why they were made of aluminum and he said to keep the government from tracking them... super smart idea.

It was a lot of cash, but I was carrying a knife so I didn't get robbed.

Fella can never be too careful investing in stuff he don't know nothing about.

Sanjay was a really smart guy... he said I will be rich before I know it.

He had spinners on his wheels... you can never go wrong with a guy that drives a flash car like that.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
In all seriousness, for the guys that think cash will be worth a damn when things go south you need to change that cash for hard coin silver and gold. Plus things to barter with like medicine, can foods, livestock, seeds, ammo etc...... Those will be the true valuable assets in times of global collapse.

Me? I'm just a country boy and you know what Hank Jr. Says about country boys?
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

I think that story was a direct reference to the United States fiat currency and federal reserve system.
Not much unless we’re traveling.
Originally Posted by MPat70
In all seriousness, for the guys that think cash will be worth a damn when things go south you need to change that cash for hard coin silver and gold. Plus things to barter with like medicine, can foods, livestock, seeds, ammo etc...... Those will be the true valuable assets in times of global collapse.

Amen! ^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

memtb
Like a grand for an emergency,like a car repair ,plumbing or the boiler went out,oil delivery,stuff for when i m not home,and Ma Ma needs to take care of things.
In college the whole town flooded and I evacced back home w/the folks for a week. Buddy owned a business considered essential, he stayed put and stayed open. We were talking about it sometime after I came back to college-town and he told me many other essential business owners were having to drive 50-75Mi out of town to find an ATM with any funds available as all the ATM's in town w/power/access were out of $$.

I don't keep years worth of cash for bills etc, just enough to get away from a nat'l disaster zone. Few tanks of fuel, hotel for a few nights, food for a week or so.

If it's much worse than what my stash can handle, we're all in deep doo-doo and a steady supply of clean/fresh water is going to be the biggest hurdle.
I've got quite a bit in the safe and try to replenish it if I use some of it. I've always kept some cash in the safe just because.

Good friend of mine, excellent income, plenty money in the bank, owns a beautiful, spacious custom built new home on over 300 acres, always uses credit, debit and online electronic bank withdrawal to pay for everything. He rarely ever carries any cash on him at all -- not even pocket change.

During the widespread power outage caused by the big ice storm several years ago he was driving back home after attending a annual sales meeting in Nashville.

He said about half way home he got thirsty as heck and wanted something to drink. Even though it was still fairly early nothing was open due the power outage but he eventually did find one outside soda pop machine that still was working -- problem was, he didn't have any real money on him to even buy a soda.

He said he searched all through the inside of his truck and finally scrapped up just enough loose change to buy a bottle of soda pop.

Luckily he had enough fuel in his truck to make it back home.

Originally Posted by memtb

memtb

Long term SHF scenario maybe...

The problem with gold and / or silver though is finding businesses that are set up to accept either as payment.

Also with gold and silver prices per ounce as high as they are now, how would you break it down into smaller denominations in order to pay for anything that costs less than current gold / silver value?
$8. Enough for a driveway or to fix the T1-11 siding.
$8. Enough for a driveway or to fix the T1-11 siding.

You better be putting some more back. I just paid $32/sheet for some 5/8” T-111 for a storage shed repair on a property we bought.
SHTF precious metal wouldn’t be worth anything til some sort of primitive economic system was reestablished. First year it would be all about trading necessities. In an urban setting, you’d be dead before it mattered. Zulu warriors and scheit.
Probably not enough.

memtb

The problem with gold and / or silver though is finding businesses that are set up to accept either as payment.

Also with gold and silver prices per ounce as high as they are now, how would you break it down into smaller denominations in order to pay for anything that costs less than current gold / silver value?

I was primarily referring to the medicine, seeds, livestock, ammo, canned foods, ect! For a period of time, those commodities will be worth more than silver/gold

memtb

Enough so that for something to be an emergency it has to be big.
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

I think that story was a direct reference to the United States fiat currency and federal reserve system.

Agree!... But at least with fiat you have something to touch and feel before you use it to light the woodstove or wipe yer azz with!... [run it through the wash machine first to soften]

Whut? They end up eatin dogschit outta dirty socks?

(Just kidding)
A guy should have 2-12 straps of twenty’s
Originally Posted by smarquez
A little cash and "I don't need a receipt" to an independent business person usually nets at least the taxes waived.

Not in my shop. That is an excellent way to run afoul of the IRS, and I have enough problems without saving customers a few dollars in taxes.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I keep an envelope of cash in my gun safe. Its my rainy day money, I try not to let it go below $1K, usually its a little more.

Same.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I drive a fair amount for my business. So I keep around $300 - $500 stashed in the truck. Figured I should have enough cash to pay for fuel to get me home in case things go sideways, I lose my money clip or credit cards shut down.

Trying hard to teach the kids to not leave the house without at least $20 in their pocket. I am guessing until they really get hung out somewhere because they have no $, they won't learn.

I hid $60 in both my kids cars about 3 years ago. I had forgot I did it until I read your post . At the time I guess I figured it would save me a trip of they ever needed cash. Its under the carpet on the passenger side in a ziplock bag.
I don’t keep much cash at home but I do have half a dozen whores. That’s just as good.

I hid $60 in both my kids cars about 3 years ago. I had forgot I did it until I read your post . At the time I guess I figured it would save me a trip of they ever needed cash. Its under the carpet on the passenger side in a ziplock bag.

As a dad I consider this a worthy act. Did you tell your kids about what you had done?

Or were you waiting for them to call you all hysterical and for you to advise them of how close their salvation was to where they were sitting? LOL!

Not personal or anything as I have followed your postings over the years, just asking!
$500.00
As Muddy Waters said: I got seven hundred dollars, don't you mess with me.
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

As a dad I consider this a worthy act. Did you tell your kids about what you had done?

Or were you waiting for them to call you all hysterical and for you to advise them of how close their salvation was to where they were sitting? LOL!

Not personal or anything as I have followed your postings over the years, just asking!

LOL, if I told them it wouldn't be there very long

memtb

Lol that made me laugh out loud. I guarantee you that if you're looking to buy something essential and all you have is silver coin the last thing you'll be sure to do is get exact change for the current spot price. You strike a deal in the moment and move on. Odds are you wouldn't be able to check spot prices anyway.

Cha ching. It's the new precious metal dontcha know.

I'm rich!!!

It might have been posted on here a few years ago but somewhere I read a story about surviving/bartering during the Bosnia conflict. It really stuck with me, this guy was talking about keeping liquor around for bartering - that was the "accepted anywhere" barter item - he never mentioned gold or silver, it was all about trading goods/services. His perspective was a little more militant and he was pretty close to living a mad max existence. He wasn't talking about a temporary halt at the bank or the local grocery not getting shipments for 2 weeks, but it was still food for thought. You have a fifth of Jim Beam to trade (in honor of Hank mentioned above) and you'll get whatever you need.

It might have been posted on here a few years ago but somewhere I read a story about surviving/bartering during the Bosnia conflict. It really stuck with me, this guy was talking about keeping liquor around for bartering - that was the "accepted anywhere" barter item - he never mentioned gold or silver, it was all about trading goods/services. His perspective was a little more militant and he was pretty close to living a mad max existence. He wasn't talking about a temporary halt at the bank or the local grocery not getting shipments for 2 weeks, but it was still food for thought. You have a fifth of Jim Beam to trade (in honor of Hank mentioned above) and you'll get whatever you need.

I tried stockpiling booze....... but it just caused me to post mean schit on the campfire.... and now the booze is gone.... frown
this was people burning furniture to stay warm desperation

he was also talking about how important it was to have soap and antiseptic when there is no running water, so it was pretty close to the end of society level stuff

that said, in a barter situation, the moonshiners will be the new bitcoin kings

he was also talking about how important it was to have soap and antiseptic when there is no running water, so it was pretty close to the end of society level stuff

Learn to distill spirits... they will drink the schity sugar alcohol with pleasure

What a great synopsis.

LOL
Originally Posted by irfubar

I tried stockpiling booze....... but it just caused me to post mean schit on the campfire.... and now the booze is gone.... frown

Salt is cheap and has a good shelf life.

Salt is cheap and has a good shelf life.

I could rub that in peoples wounds.... that would please me... smile

LMAO, same here, the more I buy, the more I drink. It turns into a challenge.

if so.......

sorry you live in shhitcago
I keep all my cash under a pillow...

The one my Rottweiler sleeps on.
I keep one year of cash, I draw from the cash when the market dips and replenish when the market is up. Most often the cash sits awaiting a crash. And that's 12 months of normal spending so we may extend it if the dip persists. I see this as a way to mitigate market risk and allows for a higher level of risk/return some of my other investments.
© 24hourcampfire