Home
Posted By: Middlebranch LED truck headlights - 12/04/21
Wondering if anyone has any experience switching from halogens to led headlights. Pros, cons, etc. Is it a good idea to mess with after market lighting? Thinking about switching over in a 21 trailboss. Thanks.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: LED truck headlights - 12/04/21
I like them on our F150, not hard on that, my wife's Escape looks a lot harder to install.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: LED truck headlights - 12/04/21
I did it to my 06 3500 Ram pickup.

Much brighter than OEM, but not a huge fan of the white light color. Will deal with it because I can sure see better.
I swapped them to lasfit in my 2021 Trail Boss. You can get the high/low set (4 bulbs total) on Amazon for about $60. They are way brighter than the factory bulbs and the Lasfit are brighter than my wife's Sealight set. Heres a link to the ones I'm using

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089FGSQ43?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Posted By: mark shubert Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
HATE the F'in things - NO one doing these "upgrades" seems to re-aim the headlamps - thus blinding all oncoming traffic!
Being blue-eyed (therefore very light sensitive) that SUCKS !! In caps!
Seems like you'd get lots of people flashing your with their brights thinking your were doing same to them.

I'm thinking of doing my backup lights, though.
Posted By: badger Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Being old and increasingly intolerant, I tend to show by displeasure of being blinded by responding in kind. Having 2 sets of ARB Intensity Auxiliary lights does tend to make my point for me.

https://arbusa.com/driving-lights/arb-intensity-lights/led-intensity-round/
Posted By: kingston Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Power camper mirrors can be quickly adjusted to return a tailgater's super nova rays.

And Happy Birthday Badger!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
You will thank me later.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com/9005-HB3-Ultra-2.0_2?quantity=1

I replaced my weak halogen bulbs on a 2021 Super Duty with the GTR Ultra2 from Headlight Revolution

Watch their videos on their YouTube Channel of how they evaluate and compare different LED replacements. The GTR ULTRA2 are highly rated and I’m happy
Posted By: GeoW Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Blinds oncoming traffic! Prepare for headon by blinded driver.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
My ancient Excursion was a 15 minute job per side to update. Considering how pathetic the OEM lights are it was a serious upgrade. A filter was required to fix the buzz in the radio. That was a slightly bigger PITA, but not huge.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Blinds oncoming traffic! Prepare for headon by blinded driver.

Headlight Revolution has videos addressing this and it is always due to incorrectly adjusted beams.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
LED headlights ought to be banned. Sure, you can see better, but the poor sap looking into the light is blinded. I hate them.
Posted By: slumlord Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
I put a 24” LED bar on my F250 just for new car folks with those bright blue euro lights

Get some bitches!

That and mustang people that think they need LED fog lights on all the time too
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Some vehicles are more difficult to convert over then others. I remember looking at those for a 2017 Tundra and it was going to cost about 700 bucks.
I replaced 6 bulbs on the F-250. All 4 headlights and both fog lights. Each GTR Ultra2 is rated at 3900 lumens.

The kicker was using Forscan to enable “bambi mode”

Fog lights enabled with high beams.

Even though I opted for the 6 upfitter switches to add accessories and off-road lights, I don’t think they’re needed now.

😁
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Due to a 20 mile back country commute down WhiteTail row intersected by Hog Trail Avenue, I tried all manner of aftermarket brighter lights. Spared no expense. In the end, the best upgrade was new OEM replacements on a regular basis coupled with clearer lenses.

Tried expensive Xenon kits twice. Even spent the money on Morimoto’s………which did not attain their billing. Ultimately, clearer replacement lenses & OEM halogen bulbs proved more reliable in the end even after the pig wasted the whole front clip on my Tahoe at 45 mph.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert
HATE the F'in things - NO one doing these "upgrades" seems to re-aim the headlamps - thus blinding all oncoming traffic!

This ^^^
Who ever installs them likes to point them right at the height of the eyes of any approaching cars. I wish I were still in Law enforcement. I'd be a real bastard to some folks about their head lights. Not only are they brighter but they never get aimed right. I'd be real difficult to get along with.
kwg
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by kwg020

This ^^^
Who ever installs them likes to point them right at the height of the eyes of any approaching cars. I wish I were still in Law enforcement. I'd be a real bastard to some folks about their head lights. Not only are they brighter but they never get aimed right. I'd be real difficult to get along with.
kwg

Can I do a ride along? Do the Buford Pusser thing?
Posted By: SeanD Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
LEDs can be really good if it’s a whole assembly. Led bulbs in halogen housings are garbage. They do not focus so they are brighter only at short range, and they scatter light making them dangerous for oncoming drivers. Long range projection is crap which is the primary function of headlights.
https://youtu.be/uO8Nuj6tPy4
Originally Posted by SeanD
LEDs can be really good if it’s a whole assembly. Led bulbs in halogen housings are garbage. They do not focus so they are brighter only at short range, and they scatter light making them dangerous for oncoming drivers. Long range projection is crap which is the primary function of headlights.

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

No, they are garbage. Here is a guy that actually knows lighting and tests them.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...headlights.589465/page-139#post-23494345
Posted By: JSTUART Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by slumlord
I put a 24” LED bar on my F250 just for new car folks with those bright blue euro lights

Get some bitches!

That and mustang people that think they need LED fog lights on all the time too

That right there is my pet peeve.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

No, they are garbage. Here is a guy that actually knows lighting and tests them.

I put Stedi LEDs in my Hilux, my daughter's Yaris, and her Camry...Camry was an improvement, the Yaris more so, and the Hilux is better that the OEM LEDs in my wife's Rav4.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Yep. Replaced all headlights in every vehicle. A million times brighter and not any more expensive than really good regular bulbs. The color is a little too white for me and they have to be adjusted correctly to not blind oncoming traffic but they are a godsend.

When I was researching them, Nineo gen II were rated as the third brightest with proper adjustability out of several dozen tested by individual labs. At the time, they were 25 clams a bulb but they're around 16-17 now on amazon at the nineo store. I've had no failures and the first set is three years old.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
I did my backup lights on my F150 and they are much better. Sealights. The halogen headlights suck.

YouTube had some reviews of different bulbs. Some are very expensive. I worry the cheap Amazon ones won’t last but some people seem to think they are the same exact bulbs as the $$ ones.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Add in my hatred of off-road lights used on-highway - and azzholes who alter the height of their vehicles without re-aiming lights.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

There is nothing “focused” about my halogen bulbs

^^^^^^^This. Would have had to change the entire housing on a Tundra and I got that information from three different sources. Whether they are more or less effective I don't know but they would not work as well as a dedicated housing.
Posted By: pahick Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by Middlebranch
Wondering if anyone has any experience switching from halogens to led headlights. Pros, cons, etc. Is it a good idea to mess with after market lighting? Thinking about switching over in a 21 trailboss. Thanks.

Best thing I ever did on my Silverado. Like night and day. Got Sealight and Fahrens off Amazon.

My dad just borrowed my truck for a week while his was down. The first thing he said was sob I cant believe how much better I can see in your truck. Hes now putting them in his.

I never get flashed, and so far theyve outlasted the expensive Osrams I was running by 4 months and seem to be going strong. Best investment under $100 ive ever made.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
I replaced the OEM headlights on my old 4Runner with a Hella Halogen set. They are 50% brighter than the OEM ones. I have a set of Hella spots on the bumper. Each has a 100 Watt bulb. I use those when some buck eejit hits me with his LED lights. The worst are the damn 18 wheelers with the off road LED light bars on their bumper.

BTW.....good luck with that truck. So many having lifter failures again. At the very least look at range technologies to turn off AFM/DOD. I was gonna buy one before the prices went up but I had it happen in my truck once....once was enough.
Originally Posted by pahick

BTW.....good luck with that truck. So many having lifter failures again. At the very least look at range technologies to turn off AFM/DOD. I was gonna buy one before the prices went up but I had it happen in my truck once....once was enough.

They have gone to DFM as a replacement and I noticed that on many window stickers because of the chip shortage that "feature" will not be operational.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by pahick

They have gone to DFM as a replacement and I noticed that on many window stickers because of the chip shortage that "feature" will not be operational.

Deactivated in the system. The lifters are still there. No diff than the folks running some sort of controller like range technologies since day one and still experiencing lifter collapse.

"If a customer brings their vehicle to a GM dealership and reports a valve lifter problem, the dealership will first determine whether or not the customer has experienced a previous valve lifter issue with this particular vehicle. If they have not and the vehicle has less than 8,000 miles on the odometer, the dealer will replace the lifters on both cylinder banks. If the vehicle has more than 8,000 miles, only one bank of lifters will be replaced.

If the customer has experienced prior valve lifter failures, dealers can choose one of three options: replace one bank of lifters and offer the customer a 60-month, 100,000-mile Powertrain Component Coverage Letter, replace the entire engine, or reach out to the District Manager of Aftersales for further guidance. The solutions are similar for a customer that has experienced valve lifter issues in the past and had one bank of lifters replaced. In this case, the dealer can replace one bank of lifters and offer a 60-month, 100,000-mile Powertrain Component Coverage Letter or reach out to the District Manager of Aftersales."
Posted By: Virginian2 Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
LED headlights ought to be banned. Sure, you can see better, but the poor sap looking into the light is blinded. I hate them.

+1
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

^^^^^^^This. Would have had to change the entire housing on a Tundra and I got that information from three different sources. Whether they are more or less effective I don't know but they would not work as well as a dedicated housing.

And the factory LED’s assemblies are barely better than the halogen. Most folks won’t believe it because they “look” brighter but headlights are now tested on new cars. The effective distance illumination between factory halogens and factory LEDs are almost the same. Some vehicles like the Tacoma, have way better lighting with the factory LEDs, but not the tundra.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/toyota/tundra-crew-cab-pickup/2021

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
It cost about $60 for a set of lights and decoders for my Dodge 2500. The stock headlights were pure crap. You couldn't see anything. The LEDs are a great improvement. Not all of them need the decoders but these did. I also changed the backup lights from worthless to decent with a pair of LED bulbs.
If anyone is worried about blinding others, you can install LEDs on the high beams only. But I did highs lows and driving and ive never been flashed with highs or lows. Once when I had lows and driving lights on at the same time....driving lights are bright as fück!
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
I bought a new Tacoma with LEDs...they are sure brighter than the halogens on my previous truck. It does seem to me the conversions aren't nearly as good as the trucks with housings designed to use LED from the get go.
Posted By: worriedman Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
Original Tundra lights sucked, had retrofit Morimoto projectors installed. Good cut off on low beans, and the Tundra lets me adjust where it hits, so no blinding anyone. But, if I need more light I can hit high beams and see a long way down the road.

Old eyes need more light. But the aftermarket LED bulbs in the original reflectors are scattered and blinding to others, the projectors are really bight but aimed well and not a problem.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: LED truck headlights - 12/05/21
When meeting bright lights, don't look right them.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: LED truck headlights - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When meeting bright lights, don't look right them.

Blinds me even if I don't look right at them - I can't even look intentionally - burns too bad!
Being blue-eyed stinks, on occasion!
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: LED truck headlights - 12/06/21

It’s almost never an issue of aiming the LED’s

This is typically correct. The reflectors type/style used for halogen and led assemblies are different. Most cheaper LED aftermarket bulbs aren’t constructed properly to be used in a halogen assembly and thus they scatter light randomly. SOME of the higher end LEDs take this into consideration and can be used in a halogen assembly fairly well.

The absolute best answer is to swap to a housing that has reflectors set up for LED’s from the start.
Posted By: badger Re: LED truck headlights - 02/28/22

Bringing an older thread back here. Watched the video, and noticed that all the beam testing was done using a projector style lens. I would like to see the same test done using a conventional headlight lens/reflector assembly. I guarantee that you would not see a controlled beam pattern, rather a lot of light scatter and shadows. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these LED retrofit bulbs fins their way into this style of headlight.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: LED truck headlights - 02/28/22
I may have to start shooting them out when they come up behind me on the interstate. I think they should be takin off the market.
© 24hourcampfire