Home
Have any ideas why they were picked to be at the scene?
The Bible doesn’t give details but I’d imagine the people that were their were people that were good hearted and wise even if not one of the wisemen.
Waiting for handouts from the wise guys?
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Waiting for handouts from the wise guys?
Would have had to hang around for quite awhile.
Might have had something to do with the notion of "The Good Shepard".
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope the weather is behaving down your way and you and your fine family are well.

If I recall correctly, at that time the shepherds and fisherman were considered the lowest class in a somewhat caste like society.

Proper accepted protocol for the announcement of the birth of a king or royalty would be to other royalty first, then descending levels of society got the news as it trickled down.

The biblical tradition of the shepherds being first to know then put the entire society upside down and lent credibility to the claim that this was truly for "all people" and not just the rich and privileged.

Something like that I'd imagine anyways sir.

All the best to you all this Christmas Season.

Dwayne
You talkin Alan Shepard or Laura Shepard Churchley?
Dwayne nailed it.

Like the last shall be first?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Dwayne nailed it.

Like the last shall be first?

That is how I have heard it too, good explanation BC30……low down sheep herders!
Wabi,
I don’t have any insight to add and I think that Dwayne’s explanation is as accurate as any. The Annunciation to the shepherds is one of my favorite Biblical images. The poor shepherds huddled on a cold spring night, suddenly being summoned by an other worldly being saying, “Come, you shepherds!”. Then a host of Angels, in ranks, stretching to Heaven, singing of the glory of God!

A bit too Renaissance-ish or Currier and Ives? Yeah… But it helped me thru many nights when I was calving. I’ll never have a road to Damascus experience but I can identify with a bunch of stockmen shiverin* in the dark….and hoping
Originally Posted by BC30cal
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope the weather is behaving down your way and you and your fine family are well.

If I recall correctly, at that time the shepherds and fisherman were considered the lowest class in a somewhat caste like society.

Proper accepted protocol for the announcement of the birth of a king or royalty would be to other royalty first, then descending levels of society got the news as it trickled down.

The biblical tradition of the shepherds being first to know then put the entire society upside down and lent credibility to the claim that this was truly for "all people" and not just the rich and privileged.

Dwayne

Perfectly stated, Dwayne. Tonight’s advent reading with the kids was Luke 2:9 which describes the moment the angels appeared and the shepherds’ reaction.

We turned every light out in the house except a candle and explained how the shepherds would have had a fire going and been listen to the night sounds and the sheep, when suddenly...!!!

At that moment I turned on the dining room lights and after a few minutes in the dark, the sudden light was a little harsh and I think it helped our kids (8, 6, 4, & 2) understand why the shepherds were afraid and just how important the phrase “the glory of the Lord...” is in describing the sensory overload the herders experienced.

I’m envious of many of the characters from the Bible and the things some of them were privileged to see. What a night that must have been for them.

Merry Christmas, gents.

[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
Pretty sure they just wanted to get out of the house cause they were sick of all the relatives visiting for the holidays.
Originally Posted by Luke 2:10, New King James Amateur Annotated Version
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people... even those #*$! shepherds...

Precisely. Shepherd jokes likely haven't changed much, if at all, in 2,000+ years. In fact, when Solomon wrote in Ec 1:9, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.", it's been bantered-about by biblical neophytes that he was specifically referring to shepherd jokes. [True story].

If the very best news that could ever be imagined, was given first to the most marginalized in all of society, then geez - maybe each and every one of us truly was amazingly loved, individually fussed-over, and celebrated every moment of the day by the One who created us.

Indeed, it's the view many of us have come to.

Dwayne

And to you, sir.

FC
"The world upside down"?
It symbolized the importance of humility.

Here's a hint:
wabigoon;

Dwayne

Yes, their story is a metaphor. The Gospels were written in a very sophisticated version of High Greek. The men who wrote them were not low class speakers of Aramaic.
"The world upside down"?

More like inside out, Wabi.
My (very poor) understanding is that the coming of the Messiah had been foretold. Most didn’t believe or felt threatened.
The Shepards came because they understood the coming of Christ.
Just my understanding.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Here's a hint:
[video:youtube]https://youtube/paidcontent[/video]

So what Christian denomination is old Steve Anderson affiliated with, happy? The church of me, myself, and I?

And how much does he pay you to spread his word?
Here's another hint.

What did the religious leaders do when they got wind of this from the wise men?

One more....What did the political leader, Herod do and what was the fruit of his learning about the Christ child?

Do you have any guesses yet?
If you don't know the answer, then go back and watch the last video from beginning to end. It's not long. See what fruit was born by the announcement to the children. 🙂

Here's another hint.

One more....What did the political leader, Herod do and what was the fruit of his learning about the Christ child?

If you don't know the answer, then go back and watch the last video from beginning to end. It's not long. See what fruit was born by the announcement to the children.

Quit messin with Wabbi's thread. He's at least sincere you're a POS gutter trash poser.
Here's what we have.

Luke 2

" And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

15 And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.

18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.

19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them."

It's also noteworthy that God chose shepherds to evangelize, "make known abroad," the good news/ glad tidings/ gospel about the Lamb of God.

Like many today, it is the ordinary people that are sharing the gospel wherever they go. The religious leaders in general are unbelievers who can't lead anyone to Christ or they are concerned about the Herod's of this world.
These shepherds became bold evangelists.
God isn't looking for special talents and prestige, just a love for His Son and those with ears to hear about him.
Shepherds deemed so lowly and shifty their testimony wasn’t admissible in court.
Originally Posted by Salty303

Here's another hint.

If you don't know the answer, then go back and watch the last video from beginning to end. It's not long. See what fruit was born by the announcement to the children.

Quit messin with Wabbi's thread. He's at least sincere you're a POS gutter trash poser.

Whoa, Holy Crapster will put you top of this years christmas retrobate list.

Here's another hint.

No salty. Unlike you, I'm not a troll who gets his hit of pleasure by attacking the gospel.
Wabigoon started a great thread topic as usual.
I happened to have a biblical answer.
You've been following me for a while now and you have a purpose that Wabigoon and my Lord knows. I commit you to him. I think it's obvious by your unprovoked attack.

Now where's the religious leaders to come by and tell me how mean and unchristian I've been to poor old salty?
Stay cool men, we are on the same team.
Wabi is cool but HC can get fugged.

Here's another hint.

No salty. Unlike you, I'm not a troll who gets his hit of pleasure by attacking the gospel.
Wabigoon started a great thread topic as usual.
I happened to have a biblical answer.
You've been following me for a while now and you have a purpose that Wabigoon and my Lord knows. I commit you to him. I think it's obvious by your unprovoked attack.

Now where's the religious leaders to come by and tell me how mean and unchristian I've been to poor old salty?

Mean to me? hahahaha you' silly twat you're so far behind you think you're in first place.
Originally Posted by Raferman
Wabi is cool but HC can get fugged.

Uh oh, another one for the Holy Crapster christmas retrobate list
Wabigoon,

It's exciting to read the chapter over the years and get a little more every time. Your question is one I had before and think it's clearer to me than before.
More clues are Jesus' choices for "fishers of men", the two senior citizens later in the story of baby Jesus. Then His great commission in every gospel and Acts chapter 1.
When putting all of that together plus the angel at the judgement of the world, it shows what is important to the Lord.

BTW, I think the highest of those shepherds.
They spread the good news abroad as it was made known to them.
wabigoon;

Dwayne

This is how our preacher interpreted the event. Wouldn’t it have been cool to have been one of those shepherds!!!!! smile
Time for a song?
Richard in 2021 there are no Wiseman we are lost
Never give up Russ!
It’s interesting that the shepherds were the first, low class common or everyman and Christ is the a Good Shepherd. The shepherd sheep analogy doesn’t seem to be well understood in the modern era. Maybe it never was and that’s why Christ was missed by those who thought that they were looking for Him.
Originally Posted by IZH27
It’s interesting that the shepherds were the first, low class common or everyman and Christ is the a Good Shepherd. The shepherd sheep analogy doesn’t seem to be well understood in the modern era. Maybe it never was and that’s why Christ was missed by those who thought that they were looking for Him.

IZH27;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather's behaving for you and that all who matter in your world are well.

When we were on the farm we had a couple lambs one year. One ate some leaves, bloated and died, then shortly after, the other one ran headlong into the stall and died.

Back in the early '90's we had a pretty decent herd of California Bighorns and I took up chasing them in hopes of catching up with a legal 3/4 curl ram.

Though most folks hunted them in the open hillsides, I quickly learned how to hunt them in the big old growth Doug Fir timber.

One time I recall distinctly now was that I saw a lamb from the spring and was able to keep it's mother behind a big Fir as I crept towards it. I was about 20' or a wee bit less from the lamb, who was frozen in fear and looking at it's mother for a cue, but she didn't see me.

As I cleared the Doug Fir, the old lady saw me and locked up too, looking slightly over her shoulder to what I took to be the lead ewe of the little herd I was in the middle of.

Finally the lead ewe bolted, then the mother and finally the lamb.

Mighty poor survival skills really I thought then and still do.

At the time it occurred to me that the Bible does us humans no favors when it refers to us as sheep, you know?

Thanks for reading my ramblings and all the very best to you all this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

PS;
I got a ram the next year - in the big timber at about 80yds.

[Linked Image]
No two ways about it, Christ was born to save us.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Here's a hint:
[video:youtube]https://youtube/paidcontent[/video]

So what Christian denomination is old Steve Anderson affiliated with, happy? The church of me, myself, and I?

And how much does he pay you to spread his word?

Church of the Dollar, Bitcoin, and Dinar.

Here's another hint.

They are both trolling for followers, Wabbi's just a little more more classy about it, and far less deranged.
Trolling is in the eye of the beholder.

And, no, I don't live under a bridge. laugh
The sheapards were poor farmers tending their flocks

Are you not using your question to proselytize for your Lord and Savior?

Again, presuming fact not in evidence, specifically that he was even born.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Are you not suing your question to proselytize for your Lord and Savior?

??, I don't understand.
I need my beauty sleep good folks, off to dreamland.

May the Good Lord take a likin' to you.
At the time it occurred to me that the Bible does us humans no favors when it refers to us as sheep, you know?

Thanks for reading my ramblings and all the very best to you all this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

PS;

[Linked Image]

You are correct my friend. The purpose of religion is make the common people serve the needs of the rulers, i.e. sheep following shepherds who give unto Caesar that which is Caesar, and accumulate riches in Heaven while given away their wealth in this world in the form of tithes and taxes to human whom feel they are entitled to the labors of others.

And Nice Sheep.

A hind quarter from him would make a nice Christmas roast.
I need my beauty sleep good folks, off to dreamland.

May the Good Lord take a likin' to you.

Good Night Wabi. God Bless.
Originally Posted by IZH27

IZH27;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weather's behaving for you and that all who matter in your world are well.

When we were on the farm we had a couple lambs one year. One ate some leaves, bloated and died, then shortly after, the other one ran headlong into the stall and died.

Back in the early '90's we had a pretty decent herd of California Bighorns and I took up chasing them in hopes of catching up with a legal 3/4 curl ram.

Though most folks hunted them in the open hillsides, I quickly learned how to hunt them in the big old growth Doug Fir timber.

One time I recall distinctly now was that I saw a lamb from the spring and was able to keep it's mother behind a big Fir as I crept towards it. I was about 20' or a wee bit less from the lamb, who was frozen in fear and looking at it's mother for a cue, but she didn't see me.

As I cleared the Doug Fir, the old lady saw me and locked up too, looking slightly over her shoulder to what I took to be the lead ewe of the little herd I was in the middle of.

Finally the lead ewe bolted, then the mother and finally the lamb.

Mighty poor survival skills really I thought then and still do.

Dwayne

PS;

[Linked Image]

Yes sir.
The analogy is not flattering in any way. In fact, I believe that the truth of it is what is supposed to be offensive about the whole of the message. That’s one of the primary ways that I’ve found to weed out bad teaching. It seems to possibly be more important in this day and age than at any time there being so many different voices making claims. If man is elevated to a higher ability than that ewe and lamb it isn’t the Gospel.

Thank you for good wishes.
May you and your family be at peace this Christmas!
Think about what the Bible says about the birth. The shepherds found Jesus lying in a manger. It's always assumed from that that he was born in a stable. Not necessarily. The Bible doesn't mention a stable. A manger is merely a box of some kind used to feed animals. Jesus wasn't born in one. Mary couldn't have possibly got into one for the birth. It was just used for his bed.

Remember that every man in Israel who didn't live in his home town was on the road for Caesar's census. Robbers were common and it was dangerous to travel alone so they formed caravans and I'd say there's a 95% chance that Mary and Joseph were in one. They weren't alone. The pictures and stories we have of them alone on the road are nonsense.
Every village had a central courtyard for travelers to camp. They would sell the travelers feed for their animals and had mangers in the courtyards to feed them in. Even the ones who could afford an inn had to have a place to care for their stock. If the inn was full, most likely any adjoining stable was full, too. Jesus quite likely was born while camped outside with the help of a local midwife.

Quite likely all the shepherds had to do was walk to the center of town to find him.

??, I don't understand.

Using...not suing...Spell check doesn't catch it when your misspelling results in a valid word.

Indeed my friend.

Just came to mind by the Holy Spirit.
Here's a couple more foreshadowing types.

There's of course the coats of skins that were slain to cover Adam and Eve's sins. Genesis 3:21 (All KJV BIBLE)
Able was the first shepherd 4:4
The LORD had respect unto Able and to his offering.
Genesis 22:16 will remind you of a co.mon N.T. verse that also has a verse 16. Hint.....which is?

Then in I Samuel 16:19; 17:15
A young shepherd who typified Jesus. Who was that?

Shepherds had a special role of raising lambs for the sacrifices carried out by the priesthood. That was the highest and best use of anyone who was honored to have perfect lambs offered.

I Laughed to see you use the same thing the young servant of Saul did when the Salty Saul resembled the king .
LOL! 😄👍

I hope it worked on that unsavory salty spirit.
I Samuel 16:14-23

Just a thought here…. Many see an important difference between the action of proselytizing and the act and purpose of apologetics.
To proselytize it to try to sway a person to a religious faith or belief system. To argue agains the Christian is to present an argument for some other religion or possibly secularism. It would appear that engaging in a discussion against aspects of the Christian faith or the Christian faith in general would in part be an attempt to proselytize. Constantly engaging in attempts to counter the Christian faith would make a stronger argument.
Why the shepherds, IDK. BUT

It seems shepherds were not held in high esteem.....

The job was looked down on. Either hired out of given to very young men with little to no standing..... yet.

David, the youngest, was a shepherd. The Egyptians despised the job, and 'hired;' it out.................
As Happy Camper said shepherds had a special role as caretakers of the flocks of sheep used for Temple sacrifices. Luke mentions three times in his account of Jesus about swaddling clothes being used for baby Jesus.Shepherds in that day also used swaddling clothes to wrap the first born male lambs and place them in a manger to check for blemishes,Those that were perfect were chosen for Temple sacrifices.Thus the symbolism of Jesus being wrapped in swaddling clothes and placed in a manger signifies his being the perfect sacrifice for all men. And for that I am so Thankful. Merry Christmas to All

??, I don't understand.

Using...not suing...Spell check doesn't catch it when your misspelling results in a valid word.

lmao
Here's an article about the sacrificial lambs. However, she goes on to say more than we know. I highlighted her invention that's not in the Bible.

By Linda Littlefield
Guest columnist

On the night of our Savior’s (Baby Jesus) birth, there were shepherds watchingtheir flock. And Angels appeared to them announcing that a child was born. They revealed, “this shall be a sign to you. You will see a baby lying in a manger wrapped in “swaddling clothes”.

These shepherds were extraordinary shepherds. They were called “Levitical Shepherds”. They had been chosen and trained to attend the flock of sheep that were to be used as sacrificial lambs in the Temple. Sacrificial lambs had to be “spotless and without blemish.” They required special treatment and observing. According to the laws of the time, the sheep that were used for the offerings had to be a one-year-old male sheep that had been outside for 365 days (one year). When they were ready, they were taken to Jerusalem to be sacrificed on the Sabbath in the Temple.

When the mother ewe was preparing to give birth, she was taken to a special birth place, or to the only cave designated, to give birth to the sacrificial Iambs. This cave was kept sterile and clean for the arrival of newborn sacrificial Iambs. The newborn lamb was immediately wrapped in clean swaddling cloths to protect them and keep them from blemish and danger. Swaddling clothes described in the Bible consisted of a cloth tied together by bandage-like strips. When the declaration was made to these Levitical Shepherds that watched their sheep in a special field full of sacrificial lambs, they apparently knew exactly where to go to discover that Baby. There were apparently many places that held mangers, but they comprehended immediately where to go to find the babe… to their cave, where their sacrificial lambs were born and wrapped in “swaddling clothes.”

Throughout our years we have heard, seen or listened to the Biblical account of the birth of Jesus. Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem. They traveled to Bethlehem because Caesar Augustus had declared that each person should travel to their town of origin to register in a census. Bethlehem was Joseph’s family village. This was proclaimed to insure that all citizens were correctly paying their taxes.

We know that when they arrived, the small town’s population had expanded significantly because of all those who had come to register. They could find no place to stay and Mary went into labor. They found a person who gave permission for them to stay where animals were sometimes housed. We understand that this was actually a cave and not a little barn type dwelling. As the Baby Jesus was born, it is reported that He was wrapped in “swaddling clothes” and laid in a manger (or feeding trough for the animals).

And these extraordinary Shepherds came immediately to the place where their sacrificial lambs were born to worship our Sacrificial Lamb.

As we enjoy beautiful lights and sounds and gifts this special time of the year. Let us not forget the miraculous beginnings of a Babe] who was called Jesus or Immanuel (God with us). He became our Sacrificial Lamb and is now our Shepherd.
Originally Posted by gremcat
Shepherds deemed so lowly and shifty their testimony wasn’t admissible in court.

Shepherds were still a thing when this was painted.

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]
wabigoon;

Dwayne

That’s great perspective and very well said.

just prepared a sermon on this yesterday, will go preach it here in a couple of hours.

of course, this is my opinion and a "sermon starter",.

Jesus had a habit of honoring the humble and ignoring the rich or prideful. shepherding was one of the most humbled professions of that day.

Or, maybe it was a foreshadowing of Who Jesus would be.... after all, He called Himself the Good Shepherd.
and.... He lived an humble life. He fed His sheep. He cared for His sheep. He protected His sheep. He died for His sheep.

Or, some might sarcastically they were the only people the angel came across awake and available at that time of night. (I don't buy that though)

What Shepherds? Mine says Magi.
Originally Posted by K22

Luke 2:8

The Shepherds and the Angels
8And there were shepherds residing in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks by night. 9Just then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid! For behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: 11Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord! 12And this will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”
Originally Posted by K22

The Magi were the wisemen that followed the star to Jesus’ location. The shepherds were tending their sheep when an angel told them of the birth of our Savior. Different group of guys.
Originally Posted by K22

You must be reading the events in Matthew. In Luke, the shepherds came the first night. The magi came as much as 2 years later. They had to travel all the way from somewhere near what's now Baghdad.
Jesus was mentioned by Roman and Jewish historians who had nothing to do with the Bible, who weren’t Christian’s, and who had no agenda.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by K22

You must be reading the events in Matthew. In Luke, the shepherds came the first night. The magi came as much as 2 years later. They had to travel all the way from somewhere near what's now Baghdad.

True.

Kind of gives new meaning to errors.
Originally Posted by antlers
Jesus was mentioned by Roman and Jewish historians who had nothing to do with the Bible, who weren’t Christian’s, and who had no agenda.

Most people (including agnostic and atheists)who study non biblical evidence “did Jesus live when the Bible said he did” come to the conclusion, he did. They may or may not believe him to be God, but they agree, he did exist. And was likely crucified, as the Bible says.

The passage in Josephus's Antiquities of the Jew, Testimonium Flavianum, is clearly a forgery added by later Christian. The rest of the so called references get much later and further in time for the alleged events very quickly. They are not exactly high quality evidence to support claims of supernatural events.
Originally Posted by JeffP

Most people (including agnostic and atheists)who study non biblical evidence “did Jesus live when the Bible said he did” come to the conclusion, he did. They may or may not believe him to be God, but they agree, he did exist. And was likely crucified, as the Bible says.

Once upon a time it was accepted that Moses existed, but now all the experts except as fact that we was a purely mythical figure, like Thor or Zeus. Scholarship is moving the same direction on Jesus.
Hell will be filled with those experts.
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter

Again, you are just presuming it exists. Christians love to trot out the threat of hell when they have no good response.
The passage in Josephus's Antiquities of the Jew, Testimonium Flavianum, is clearly a forgery added by later Christian. The rest of the so called references get much later and further in time for the alleged events very quickly. They are not exactly high quality evidence to support claims of supernatural events.
In one passage of Josephus’ Jewish Antiquities, he recounts an unlawful execution, and he identifies the victim as James, the “brother of Jesus-who-is-called-Messiah.” And very few scholars doubt this account’s authenticity.

World reknowned Biblical scholar and agnostic/atheist Bart Ehrman disagrees with you. He clearly said that "whatever else you may think about Jesus, he certainly did exist."

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/was-jesus-real-historical-evidence

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149462376/did-jesus-exist-a-historian-makes-his-case

In one passage of Josephus’ Jewish Antiquities, he recounts an unlawful execution, and he identifies the victim as James, the “brother of Jesus-who-is-called-Messiah.” And very few scholars doubt this account’s authenticity.

World reknowned Biblical scholar and agnostic/atheist Bart Ehrman disagrees with you.

And other's disagree with him. I'm familiar with Barts work, I own several of his books and subscribe to his blog. His book attempting to "Prove" the historicity of Jesus is considered is weakest work.

Again, you are just presuming it exists. Christians love to trot out the threat of hell when they have no good response.

Kinda busy today so perhaps I will respond later, but what you post as “undisputed fact” is not.

Just because should do not see the evidence and just because you do not understand does not make Jesus and the Bible untrue.

There are “good responses” and there justified basis for belief…. I have showed them to you before….. but you choose not to regard that info…..that is your choice.
Originally Posted by JeffP

Once upon a time it was accepted that Moses existed, but now all the experts except as fact that we was a purely mythical figure, like Thor or Zeus. Scholarship is moving the same direction on Jesus.

Going by scriptures it sure looks like you are correct antelope_sniper.

Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.

2 I will open my mouth in a PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:

0 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in PARABLES?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the MYSTERIES of the KINGDOM ( see Luke 17:20-21)(Matt 6:33) of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in PARABLES: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an ALLEGORY: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

since you don't believe in it, then you should not be offended at those who do.

World reknowned Biblical scholar and agnostic/atheist Bart Ehrman disagrees with you. He clearly said that “whatever else you may think about Jesus, he certainly did exist."

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149462376/did-jesus-exist-a-historian-makes-his-case
And other's disagree with him. I'm familiar with Barts work, I own several of his books and subscribe to his blog. His book attempting to "Prove" the historicity of Jesus is considered his weakest work.
lol
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by gremcat

Who are the caucasians and red heads?

since you don't believe in it, then you should not be offended at those who do.

Why is the threat of hell being used?
There is no Moses. There is no Jesus. There is no heaven or hell. If I'm wrong, there's no loss as it will all just end when I die. It's all meaningless.
If you're wrong, you'll perish in a lake of fire.

Ps 53:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is no-one who does good.
There is no Moses. There is no Jesus. There is no heaven or hell. If I'm wrong, there's no loss as it will all just end when I die. It's all meaningless.

Ps 53:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is no-one who does good.

As God, Jesus and Paul said, it is an allegory. God, Jesus, the Temple, Heaven and Hell dwell within you.
That's not what the early Christians believed.
Originally Posted by K22

As God, Jesus and Paul said, it is an allegory. God, Jesus, the Temple, Heaven and Hell dwell within you.

Now read that in something other than the archaic language of the KJV.

ESV:
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman and one by a free woman.
23 But the son of the slave was born according to the flesh, while the son of the free woman was born through promise.
24 Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar.
25 Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.

NIV
24 These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar.

It's the interpretation that has 2 meanings, not the event itself.

Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22

And nice allusion to Pascal's Wager. It's easy to tell when Christians are defeated, they resort to Pascals Wager and threats of Hell.
If a God of Love exists, there is no Hell. A God of Love creating a Hell and consigning people to Hell is incompatible, a contradiction.
Richard, lets see what our life has destined
wabigoon;

Dwayne

Well said, Sir! Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Originally Posted by K22

Now read that in something other than the archaic language of the KJV.

ESV:
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman and one by a free woman.
23 But the son of the slave was born according to the flesh, while the son of the free woman was born through promise.
24 Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar.
25 Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.

NIV
24 These things may be taken figuratively, for the women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar.

It's the interpretation that has 2 meanings, not the event itself.

laugh

Ya gotta love that about literal Bible reading. If you don't like what it says, then you can re-interpret it so it agree's with what you want to believe. That is the very reason they wrote it in symbolic language. But what ever, carry on.
The explanation of "Why Shepards?" that was given to me when I was young was as follows:

1) Shepherds would put their flocks out into communal summer pastures and then take turns watching them. At this time of year, it was cooler and easier to watch them by night.
2) Shepherds, as a result of this, were big on watching the sky. If anything happened, they were usually the first of the common folk to notice it. Most of the rest of the populus went to bed when the sun went down and stayed inside until morning.
3) Whereas astronomers and astrologers were more systematic and rational in their observations of the heavens, the shepherds were far more into the folklore and tradition.
4) When a new "star" emerged, it had great portent to the shepherds. This was an omen, but nobody knew the meaning. It caused great consternation.
5) Somewhere in this, an angel appeared and gave them a simple, plausible optimistic explanation that vaguely fit their understanding of things.
Thank you, Dywayne, and all!!

Let's not overthink this.
Luke 9:5 And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them."

That's all.
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Who are the caucasians and red heads?
You entirely missed the point.
Back to the question about the shepherds.

The religious establishment raised sheep in the vicinity of Jerusalem for Temple sacrifices, sold them (the perfect lamb) to pilgrims making the somewhat long and torturous trip to the Temple to have their sins forgiven.

It's said that these were likely Temple sheep; the shepherds were working for the religious establishment. These shepherds were considered unclean by the priests, as they dealt with blood, dead animals, etc. They, therefore, could not go to the temple. It's been said that the only lower forms of life back then were lepers.

Seems the Lord announced the birth of His Son to these guys, a bold statement about redemption. He went to the least, not the big shots running the Temple business. And, it was big business, don't ya know. Does that sound familiar with today's religious establishment.

The meek shall inherit....

Go figure.

DF
Good points Dirtfarmer. Good post too. He did say that many who are first in this world will be last in the world to come; and the last, first.
Good points Dirtfarmer. Good post too. He did say that many who are first in this world will be last in the world to come; and the last, first.

Too many relate religion with faith.

They're not mutually inclusive, and in fact can actually be mutually exclusive.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Too many relate religion with faith. They're not mutually inclusive, and in fact can actually be mutually exclusive.
Agreed. A lotta people might be 'losing their religion'…and with good reason…but that doesn't mean that their faith is waning. At all.
What a perfect "Plan".

Along the same lines, notice how Jesus Christ as a baby is easier to accept than Jesus a their Saviour?
We will find out
Originally Posted by blanket
We will find out

For sure.

Hopefully on this side.

DF
© 24hourcampfire