Home
Posted By: miguel Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
My wife and I have rented a cabin in Sevierville Tennessee for a week early January. We’re looking to do some hiking and check out the National Park. Not really into tourist crap. I would be interested in any good gun shops, or muzzleloader makers.
We got cheated out of our honeymoon two years ago just when COVID started. We were supposed to fly to Aruba. Two years later a cabin in the Smoky Mountains looks much better. I doubt I would tolerate any of the hoops that would be required to fly, much less international anymore.
Posted By: dsink Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Smokey Mountain Knife Works is worth stopping in and looking around. Buds Gun Shop has a store across the road from SMKW but I haven't been in it yet. We are heading up that way ourselves next month for the first time in probably 20 years.
dont waste your time at bud's. small shop with not much in it. those 2 are about the only thing there.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Good man, great decision!
Keep our American dollars in America!

Hope this thread yields some good results for you.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Wear a body condom if you go to smoky mtn knife works

It’s like an MTV Spring Break gathering but for old, fat, piss smelling dullards shuffeling and stumbling around in there shoulder to shoulder

The basement has all the good kitchen cutlery and nifty kitchen/canning gadgets of all sorts

Hit up the Lodge cast iron cookware outlet across the parking lot
Posted By: KFWA Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Bunch of hikes, Chimney Tops is a short very scenic trail. First half is pretty nice, second half gets pretty steep.

Another hike we like is hiking Mt. LeConte, I think its about 11 miles round trip, I'm not really sure. Elevation is about 5500' and there is a lodge near the top of the mountain that hikers reserve. I've never stayed but they have some rocking chairs we usually sit in and relax before the trip back down.

This time of year the Cades Cove loop probably isn't so crowded its gridlock, which is a looped drive and has a couple of nice hikes, one includes a popular waterfall. I've only been able to do it twice because of how popular it is and the crowds.

Take the Gatlinburg bypass if you want to go into the park but avoid the traffic.

No shortage of places to eat - a couple of places I like are Crocketts for breakfast and Taste of Italy, both are in Gatlinburg

There are a 3 or 4 great drives in the area - Cherohala Skyway - we go into the park , get on that and go all the way to Tellico Plains stopping at Tellico Grains bakery for some of the best local pizza and baked goods in the area. Then we go to Sweetwater Valley Dairy and load up on local cheeses. If that sounds like something you'd want to do, then check to make sure they are open. Last time I checked they were open 6 days a week.

Another drive is Dragon's Tail (Deal's Gap), Deals Gap is very popular with motorcyclist because of all the curves. It was an OK drive in a car but there are some scenic stops along the way,

People that want to enter the park and bypass Sevierville swing around I-40 to the Foothills Parkway that drops you off at Cosby and its a 15 mile or so drive to Gatlinburg - but you still hit the heart of Gatlinburg traffic - however the drive is very scenic with stopping off points Cosby is also a park entrance but we were up there just before Thanksgiving and they had closed the main road just at the entrance. Not sure why.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions

Last time we were there a bear wandered into our parking lot. We rented a condo right across from Ober Gatlinburg.

Posted By: miguel Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
I don’t mind driving an hour or so. We have no schedule to follow, just want to explore the area. It’s someplace I’ve always wanted to visit. I realize Sevierville and Gatlinburg are very tourist oriented, but there’s got to be some gems out there on the back roads.
Chimney tops is like 20,000 stair steps up. Be careful in January up there. The shale and phyllite is super slick. It’s almost always wet, damp and slimy add in ice glaze and you need to just watch out. Couple of people die sliding off that mfer every year
Take a drive over the mountains to Townshend, TN. They call it the quiet side of the Smokies. The drive is very scenic and there’s a place over there called the Apple Valley Cafe you might enjoy.
I drove thru the White and Green Mountains in New Hampshire/Vermont a few years back. It felt alot like driving thru the smokies. We took the less traveled route from Maine down to Schenectady.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Chimney tops is like 20,000 stair steps up. Be careful in January up there. The shale and phyllite is super slick. It’s almost always wet, damp and slimy add in ice glaze and you need to just watch out. Couple of people die sliding off that mfer every year

yea .alot of people stop and turn around once they see the incline, but the hike is still great to that point.
Leconte by way of alum cave bluffs trail is 11ish miles. It will eat up all fugging day and you honeymooners will be sored and too wrecked to make sexy time.

And by the time you get back to your car and try to go get something to eat... all the pussified lardasses that have been riding go carts and will be lined up get grub and causing 1 hour waits for a table. The same pos fuggs that probably already have two meals and a dozen hot glazed krispy kremes in their guts

Take your hikes slow, Go to Cades Cove, drive around, do some short 1 miles bee bops around the mills, the creeks, the farmsteds.
It’s been decades, but in addition to everything already posted IIRC the museum/cultural center on the Cherokee Reservation is worth a look.

The Cherohala Skyway is worth a look I suppose,as is the Tail of the Dragon. I imagine motorcycle traffic on both (which could be a PITA) would be much reduced this time of year. In truth though I get bored quick driving in a car just for the scenery.

A place I’d REALLY like to drive for the scenery would be the Adirondack Mountains again 🙂 The Skyway/Dragon drive ain’t gonna top that.
Clingmans Dome road might be closed in January. Or I’d recommend a ridge hike from the Dome along the AT, the Anakeesta spine out to Double Springs Gap. but its probably gated off

From Newfound Gap parking lot out to Charlie’s bunion outcrop is nice too. a moderate hop, be careful out there too, sheer drops. Dont waste your time if its cloudy.

I did charlies outcrop at night once to watch a meteor shower. I was high as hell, lol
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
It’s been decades, but in addition to everything already posted IIRC the museum/cultural center on the Cherokee Reservation is worth a look.

The Cherohala Skyway is worth a look I suppose,as is the Tail of the Dragon. I imagine motorcycle traffic on both (which could be a PITA) would be much reduced this time of year. In truth though I get bored quick driving in a car just for the scenery.

A place I’d REALLY like to drive for the scenery would be the Adirondack Mountains again 🙂 The Skyway/Dragon drive ain’t gonna top that.

Good drives yes

Stop and see the elk at Oconaluftee fields
Otherwise Cherokee is a DUMP
Leconte by way of alum cave bluffs trail is 11ish miles. It will eat up all fugging day and you honeymooners will be sored and too wrecked to make sexy time.

And by the time you get back to your car and try to go get something to eat... all the pussified lardasses that have been riding go carts and will be lined up get grub and causing 1 hour waits for a table. The same pos fuggs that probably already have two meals and a dozen hot glazed krispy kremes in their guts

Take your hikes slow, Go to Cades Cove, drive around, do some short 1 miles bee bops around the mills, the creeks, the farmsteds.

I remember we ended up at Bubba Gumps after that hike. That wouldn't have been my first, second or fifth choice. If they are honeymooners though, when else would you want to do a hike like that?
We aren’t young honeymooners unfortunately, but we aren’t over the hill either! We’re both in good shape and all of the hikes mentioned sound great. If we over exert, there’s a nice hot tub on the porch of the cabin overlooking the mountains. I can’t believe how affordable rentals are. We would pay triple for a comparable place in the Adirondacks.
Cades Cove for sure as well as the Cherohala Skyway. Also head over to US19 and drive down the Nantahala Gorge to the Rivers End restaurant at NOC. Beautiful country. Also if you're into motorcycles head over to Maggie Valley and check out Wheels Through Time museum.
The drive through Cades Cove is very worthwhile. Gatlinburg is much more walking friendly than Sevierville or Pigeon Forge. The drive from Gatlinburg to Cherokee is very scenic.
We started "Highpointing" with the boys years ago...

Always a cool adventure... or "outdoor vacation with a reason to go to random places"... you will find lots of obscure little towns, shops and restaurants along the way.

https://highpointers.org/us-highpoint-guide/

Many Highpoints (Delaware, Florida et al)... are nothing but a picture and then grab an ice cream cone... but many are fantastic... really amazing... and some will kill you if you aren't dialed in... Wyoming, AK etc.

TN, NC, VA, WV is a great place to start the hobby...

Keep a photo album... I have one somewhere...

Good luck and enjoy the time away.

I done dat. Booked one of the little cabins and stayed for the night.
Originally Posted by KFWA

I remember we ended up at Bubba Gumps after that hike. That wouldn't have been my first, second or fifth choice. If they are honeymooners though, when else would you want to do a hike like that?

Wife and I have done Leconte about 5 times, stayed at the lodge a couple times. She has hiked it by herself a couple more times.

It’s only a 4 hour drive for us an we used to go 1/2 dozen times a year. For several years. Since high school.

But we are hikers. We have done countless trails, her more so. All the good ones at least.

Hard for me to do in the last 5 years, prednisone, roofing AND all that hiking has smoked my knees.

Gatlinburg is overrun with Moonshine and Wine tasting places now. I don't really mind but I think it does take away from the family friendly environment. They used to have a store dedicated to Mayberry with a mix of John Deere stuff. Seems like its changed a bit. Also, last time I was there I noticed how "diverse" it has become. I blame Bubba Wallace .... Police were telling people to turn down their car stereos on the strip, which for me , was a first to see. Glad they were though since I'm in the get off my lawn stage of my life.

I do admit to buying a healthy supply of blackberry moonshine while I was there.

I love going though. We've kicked around the idea of buying a cabin there and renting it out when we aren't there because we go usually twice a year. Never followed thru , I was scared of the headache of renting. Been going there regularly for 20 years now.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Always a cool adventure... or "outdoor vacation with a reason to go to random places"... you will find lots of obscure little towns, shops and restaurants along the way.

Many Highpoints (Delaware, Florida et al)... are nothing but a picture and then grab an ice cream cone... but many are fantastic... really amazing... and some will kill you if you aren't dialed in... Wyoming, AK etc.

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t know what we were doing had a specific name. For the drive there I’m putting together a route that will be scenic and off the interstate as much as possible. We are taking two days each way so give or take 8 hours a day in the truck.
Originally Posted by JeffA

It was a complete mofo getting reservations.

Like the opening phones of the new york stock exchange. One little old lady doing all the bookings.

I had to get family and friends all calling at once at 9am to cock block some other callers

I swear to god it was like trying to call a radio station when are giving away a 1000$ or fuggin Kid Rock tickets
Mrs slumlord was not happy with the food. Said we got better chow in school lunchroom.

Just drink your Reisling and stfu
Posted By: Raeford Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21

It’s like an MTV Spring Break gathering but for old, fat, piss smelling dullards shuffeling and stumbling around in there shoulder to shoulder

The basement has all the good kitchen cutlery and nifty kitchen/canning gadgets of all sorts

No chit!!!!!

They have expanded the gun section[moved it to the lower level].
Pretty good selection from what I could tell a couple weeks back[it was a struggle getting close to counters].
I noticed 3 different wimmens all buying LCP type guns with the help of their husbands. Sign of the times.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
In which bar in Gatlinburg did "Sue" fight his dad?

Wife and I have done Leconte about 5 times, stayed at the lodge a couple times. She has hiked it by herself a couple more times.

It’s only a 4 hour drive for us an we used to go 1/2 dozen times a year. For several years. Since high school.

But we are hikers. We have done countless trails, her more so. All the good ones at least.

Hard for me to do in the last 5 years, prednisone, roofing AND all that hiking has smoked my knees.

over the years I've got to the point where if I rent a cabin I try to stay off of 321 east of Gatlinburg so I can get to the food city to stock up.The "artist" community area. That seems to provide the most flexibility to me. I can come in from Cosby, or coming in I can take Kings Branch/Glades and if I want to go into the park I can go 321, and then get on River Road, which is still slow but much faster than the main strip.

Last time we went, Waze routed us a new way in - we went thru downtown Knoxville and I guess took 321, it wasn't called 321, I don't remember the name, most of the way along with some small 2 lane roads to pop out where you turn to go to Wears Valley. I had never done that before and I'm not sure it was much of a time saver but it was nice to come out below Sevierville.

Like the opening phones of the new york stock exchange. One little old lady doing all the bookings.

I had to get family and friends all calling at once at 9am to cock block some other callers

I swear to god it was like trying to call a radio station when are giving away a 1000$ or fuggin Kid Rock tickets

I stayed in the hikers bear cage a few times when I couldn't get a cabin.
Place is polluted with black bears, gotta kick them outta the way to go out and take a leak.

over the years I've got to the point where if I rent a cabin I try to stay off of 321 east of Gatlinburg so I can get to the food city to stock up.The "artist" community area. That seems to provide the most flexibility to me. I can come in from Cosby, or coming in I can take Kings Branch/Glades and if I want to go into the park I can go 321, and then get on River Road, which is still slow but much faster than the main strip.

Last time we went, Waze routed us a new way in - we went thru downtown Knoxville and I guess took 321, it wasn't called 321, I don't remember the name, most of the way along with some small 2 lane roads to pop out where you turn to go to Wears Valley. I had never done that before and I'm not sure it was much of a time saver but it was nice to come out below Sevierville.

321 side yes

We do exactly the same
Originally Posted by miguel

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t know what we were doing had a specific name. For the drive there I’m putting together a route that will be scenic and off the interstate as much as possible. We are taking two days each way so give or take 8 hours a day in the truck.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email or phone call if you need any pointers...

Goofy family stuff is always a blast...

Did the midwest trip about 7-8 years ago... 6 or 7 Highpoints over 2 weeks...

Homemade moccasins for the boys, Stormy Kramer, even Rocky Mountain oysters for unsuspecting children...

Goofy is GOOD!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Place is polluted with black bears, gotta kick them outta the way to go out and take a leak.

I tried to sleep in double springs gap shelter. With chainlink

People pissin so much in the corner it wreaked. I packed up my stuff and hiked to a capsite halfway down prong trail towards elkmont. In the morning i seen a sign at my campsite ssid it was closed due to heavy bear activity. Lol
No wonder i was the only one there. Lol
Posted By: shootem Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Go to Cades Cove, drive around,

By all means do this. Wildlife is a guarantee. If you’re lucky you’ll get to see some touristos trying to commit suicide by bear, or perhaps even trying to sacrifice their children to the Great Bear God. Great Bear God smile big when tourist bring camera and sacrifice.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email or phone call if you need any pointers...

Goofy family stuff is always a blast...

Did the midwest trip about 7-8 years ago... 6 or 7 Highpoints over 2 weeks...

Homemade moccasins for the boys, Stormy Kramer, even Rocky Mountain oysters for unsuspecting children...

Goofy is GOOD!

Dayum they got babe and paul out by Geno’s place in the Modoc
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
I'd like to see the Smokies!

I tried to sleep in double springs gap shelter. With chainlink

People pissin so much in the corner it wreaked. I packed up my stuff and hiked to a capsite halfway down prong trail towards elkmont. In the morning i seen a sign at my campsite ssid it was closed due to heavy bear activity. Lol
No wonder i was the only one there. Lol

Ever stay at the Wonderland Hotel in Elkmount?
Sat on the porch a few times.
Originally Posted by shootem

By all means do this. Wildlife is a guarantee. If you’re lucky you’ll get to see some touristos trying to commit suicide by bear, or perhaps even trying to sacrifice their children to the Great Bear God. Great Bear God smile big when tourist bring camera and sacrifice.

We've given up on CC.
Might give it a try in mid January......on a Tuesday.
If we want to see wildlife we head over to Cataloochie or even Cherokee for elk.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Originally Posted by dsink
Smokey Mountain Knife Works is worth stopping in and looking around. Buds Gun Shop has a store across the road from SMKW but I haven't been in it yet. We are heading up that way ourselves next month for the first time in probably 20 years.

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is now a pretty fair gun shop, and their prices for new guns are decent. When ammo was widely available, they had plenty of it at good, sometimes low, prices. They are a major Sig Sauer retailer.

They've really eclipsed Bud's across the street as a gun store, IMO, but Bud's has an indoor gun range and rentals.

By all means do this. Wildlife is a guarantee.

I would say that wildlife at the Cades Cove Circular Parking Lot is common, but not guaranteed.

If there's a bear and cubs near the road, you'll only see them if you're at the front of the line of vehicles that has come to a complete halt. If you're back aways, around a curve, you're going to be sitting for a while, wondering, and, depending on your personality, maybe seething inwardly with rage.
Last time I went on Cades Cove, people were stopping to look at deer. I was done with it after that. Once you're in you're committed though.
Posted By: 673 Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21

If I could travel to the USA I would really like to see Tennessee.
Why are they called the Smoky Mountains?
the mist/fog that settles in.

[Linked Image from planetware.com]
the mist/fog that settles in.

[Linked Image from planetware.com]

Interesting... didn't know that.

I was thinking it was the roofers and mary jane.
at one time maybe it was all the moonshine stills?
Posted By: 673 Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
I didn't know that, thanks.
Posted By: deflave Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Stay in the room and plow.
Last time I went on Cades Cove, people were stopping to look at deer. I was done with it after that. Once you're in you're committed though.

There's a way or two to get out without completing the loop.
Trivia, Smokey Mountain National Park is the most visited national park in the USA,
Originally Posted by 673

If I could travel to the USA I would really like to see Tennessee.
Why are they called the Smoky Mountains?

The haze some of the pines, hemlocks emit.

That combined with an effect of radiational cross sectioning of light called Mie Scattering gives it a smoky look.

That's funny, I was just in there Tuesday, I didn't see any of that. Place was neat, clean, well stocked and not overly crowded. Kinda makes me wonder how fulla shidt scumlord is on any thing else he spews BS opinions on...

...Oh, and in anticipation of scum's snotty reply, GFY, scum... Who the fuq are you to me anyhow?
Originally Posted by Raeford

There’s a 1/2 cut

But yes, sometimes morons instead of pulling over will stop right in the road to take a picture of ground hog
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

That's funny, I was just in there Tuesday, I didn't see any of that. Place was neat, clean, well stocked and not overly crowded. Kinda makes me wonder how fulla shidt scumlord is on any thing else he spews BS opinions on...

...Oh, and in anticipation of scum's snotty reply, GFY, scum... Who the fuq are you to me anyhow?

Go at a peak time you useless coxsucker, your fatass was probably glad the crowds were thin so you get a garbage bag full of kettle corn

If you spent less time foucking your dog, you’d get out more and go often to see the crush.

Your lard ass couldn’t hike the interactive trail behind Sugarlands visitor center anyway.

You’ll contributed nothing to a thread such as this.
You missed my question SL.

Did you ever stay/dine at the Wonderland Hotel in Elkmount?
I think it closed in the late 80s.

There’s a 1/2 cut

But yes, sometimes morons instead of pulling over will stop right in the road to take a picture of ground hog

Rich Mtn Rd too, drop you on the west side of Townsend
It closes at dark-thirty and in inclement weather.
You missed my question SL.

Did you ever stay/dine at the Wonderland Hotel in Elkmount?
I think it closed in the late 80s.

Never did get to. Hiked back in there seen all the old buildings.

I live nearby part time, Slums description is accurate for the majority of the hours SMKW is open.
It is much better however now that they moved the 'gun' section to where it is [used to be at the front entrance].
Hopefully you'll have mild weather for your hikes, but January weather can be pretty brutal in the Smokies.

There’s a 1/2 cut

Rich Mtn Rd too, drop you on the west side of Townsend
It closes at dark-thirty and in inclement weather.
that’s the second way out to get into Wear’s Valley, dont be doling out info like to the unappreciative unthanking, unacknowledging OP or lardass loser like oscar meyer hamlin

I live nearby part time, Slums description is accurate for the majority of the hours SMKW is open.
It is much better however now that they moved the 'gun' section to where it is [used to be at the front entrance].

Weekends can be pretty bad, but non holiday weekdays are low contact events.
Originally Posted by Showdog75
Cades Cove for sure as well as the Cherohala Skyway. Also head over to US19 and drive down the Nantahala Gorge to the Rivers End restaurant at NOC. Beautiful country. Also if you're into motorcycles head over to Maggie Valley and check out Wheels Through Time museum.

If you do the Cherohala, when you are in Tellico Plains, stop by the Tellico Grains Bakery. There walls are covered with awards they have won all across the country. I had the best danish I have ever had in my life there.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I love when you wax eloquent Wagi!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I love when you wax eloquent Wagi!

Is Wabi the real mister Miagi?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Trivia, Smokey Mountain National Park is the most visited national park in the USA,

Unless you count the Blue Ridge Parkway.

That's funny, I was just in there Tuesday, I didn't see any of that.

No mirrors huh?

... If you’re lucky you’ll get to see some touristos trying to commit suicide by bear, or perhaps even trying to sacrifice their children to the Great Bear God. Great Bear God smile big when tourist bring camera and sacrifice.

"ok kids, gather around the cute bear cubs for a quick selfie. Maybe offer the nice mommy bear part of your Snickers bar so it will stand up again for the pic" ;-)
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
Grew up in Seymour/sevierville

Now live in Maryville. Which is close to Townsend

Your getting some good advice on how to avoid the pigeon forge gatlinburg tourist trap. I would advise you avoid it as well

The distillery craze is retarded. Most make crap liquor and it’s a tourist trap. Go buy a decent bottle and follow the next step below

Deflave gave you the best advise. Stay in room and plow. But since you probably don’t have the stamina and ability to go all day like a hard charger. We will continue.

Slumlord is pretty right about knife works( mostly)
Big percentage of time it’s a lard fest. I have hit it up when it was rather quiet and nice too though. But not nearly as often as lard fest. Lots of goofy stupid ninja and redneck knives with some good kitchen cutlery/high end in the mix. They seem to have decent firearm selection. Used to have a great ammo selection

Buds sucks

Not a lot of good gun stores there anymore unfortunately

Cataloochie is pretty cool. It’s better than cades cove in my opinion Cherokee is another tourist trap. Avoid unless you just have to gamble

Cades cove has some nice historical buildings and hikes. But typically lots of traffic

Leconte is a great hike. But you should probably be in decent shape and this time of year the weather can be quick to turn bad up there. So be prepared

Townsend has crap for restaurants and they are mostly all closed this time of year.

If you for some reason end up in the ER in Maryville make sure to say hello. I will probably be there working
Id take crampons for leconte right now. Rocky face and cable section will be iffy.
Would love to see OMC Hamcunt navigate that.
Cataloochee is nice and quiet as Kevin says

Be sure to check to website for closures over there. They’ll gate it off if a 6” sapling falls across the road

Then you’ll drive up through 8 miles winding roads thru Deliveranceville to encounter a shut gate.

Do not take Buzzard Roost road either.
If you like to spend a day driving swing by Tellico Plains then take the Cherola highway to the Tail of the Dragon. Have a late lunch at the Hot Rod 50’s diner in Alcola, try their fried chicken liver appetizers.
We been to the bakery at Tellico Plains, twice. Their pastries left a lot to be desired but the pizza and sandwiches were pretty good.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21

The lodge on Mt LeConte has been closed for a while. They shut it down in the late fall. At that altitude there is a very good chance of snow in January. The rocky parts of the trial will be ice covered too. That is my favorite hike though when the weather is right.

The Roaring Fork driving trail is just a few blocks off the main road from Gatlinburg. It is a one way loop similar to Cades Cove, but in heavy forest. Lots of old homesteads still standing There are several places to park and hike on that loop too.

The Elkmontn Ghost town is interesting. It was built about 100 years ago as a vacation town, but has been abandoned for sometime. The Park service is in the process of restoring many of the homes. It is behind the Elkmont Campground. An out of the way place most people have never heard of.

https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/smoky-mountains/about-elkmont-ghost-town/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...y_Mountains_National_Park_Tennessee.html

Cataloochee Valley is on the North Carolina side and quite a ride from Gatlinburg. But that is where most of the elk are located.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cataloochee.htm
I was there in a cabin in Sevierville this week with my wife and it's really just a tourist trap to me. I'll admit to not really being a people person and honestly almost anything that draws a crowd sends me the other way. I spent a few cold mornings in SMNP taking a few photos of the locals that I can relate to. I'll try add add a few pics

Oh by the way I stopped by Smokey Mountain Knife Works and found it full of typical city folks with no idea what they were looking at. Most had several 5 dollar made in china folders in their hand. There were also a couple tweekers in the parking lot trying to sell their recently stolen goods. Yep I really don't care for most folks................

https://i.imgur.com/gaTnSIV.jpg[/img][/img]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/img][img
]https://i.imgur.com/1SXXMFZ.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]
https://i.imgur.com/STbSJEb.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/dqklkcI.jpg[/img][/img]
Word of the thread, lard ass. I love it, lol.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
If you like to spend a day driving swing by Tellico Plains then take the Cherola highway to the Tail of the Dragon. Have a late lunch at the Hot Rod 50’s diner in Alcola, try their fried chicken liver appetizers.
We been to the bakery at Tellico Plains, twice. Their pastries left a lot to be desired but the pizza and sandwiches were pretty good.

Tail of the Dragon is a trippy kind of place. Came up to a wide curve one time and a woman was in the middle of the road flagging traffic to a stop. There were about a dozen people standing on the outward edge of the curve, staring at something downslope.

We were about five minutes before the rescue people appeared. One seriously dead, one seriously messed up, and two mangled bikes. They'd gone over the edge the day before and no one saw them sailing off and down into the trees.

They'd have been down there a lot longer, but a guy and his girlfriend pulled their bike over for a rest and the girl, whose hearing wasn't as far gone as her boyfriend, heard faint calls for help. Boyfriend crawled down for a look.
I used to watch videos of guys on big dressers not negotiating turns on the dragon tail and driving off the road. Youtube has a handful of them.
Posted By: Robster Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
My girlfriend and I went and stayed near Townsend with our horses last October.
What they say about SMKW is true. Packed with people shoulder to shoulder. The lodge store was great though.
A great hike is to drive to Newfoundland Gap and hike to Charlies Bunion. An awesome drive to get there and you are hiking the Appalachian Trail.
Cades Cove is exactly as they say. We parked at the far end and rode up in the mountains. When we went to leave, we were tired from riding all day and my patience for all the tourists and their driving habits had me seeing red. We did see what looked to be a huge bear lumbering across the meadow on the way in, but did not stop for pictures and block traffic.
It truly is a beautiful area, no regrets visiting the area.
I used to watch videos of guys on big dressers not negotiating turns on the dragon tail and driving off the road. Youtube has a handful of them.

It's a fun road to ride as long as you stay on it.

google hiking in the Smokies. there's a lot of trails.My Leconte, Clingmans Dome, Cades Cove, NOC. there's trails all around these points of interest. you can access the AT and if you need a shuttle service go onto Whiteblaze.net, there's a list of services on there. Buds in Servierville is a joke IMO. check out Smokie Mountain Knife Works. BassPro is there also.
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
google hiking in the Smokies. there's a lot of trails.My Leconte, Clingmans Dome, Cades Cove, NOC. there's trails all around these points of interest. you can access the AT and if you need a shuttle service go onto Whiteblaze.net, there's a list of services on there. Buds in Servierville is a joke IMO. check out Smokie Mountain Knife Works. BassPro is there also.

Bass pros are almost always a great place to take a dump.
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I was there in a cabin in Sevierville this week with my wife and it's really just a tourist trap to me. I'll admit to not really being a people person and honestly almost anything that draws a crowd sends me the other way. I spent a few cold mornings in SMNP taking a few photos of the locals that I can relate to. I'll try add add a few pics

Oh by the way I stopped by Smokey Mountain Knife Works and found it full of typical city folks with no idea what they were looking at. Most had several 5 dollar made in china folders in their hand. There were also a couple tweekers in the parking lot trying to sell their recently stolen goods. Yep I really don't care for most folks................

Nice photos. We are really looking forward to seeing the country. Maybe a deer hunting trip in the future? There HAS to be more deer than the Adirondacks!
Posted By: rem141r Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/17/21
swing by slums crib for all you can eat pulled pork and canned 'mators.
Originally Posted by JMR40

The Elkmontn Ghost town is interesting. It was built about 100 years ago as a vacation town, but has been abandoned for sometime. The Park service is in the process of restoring many of the homes. It is behind the Elkmont Campground. An out of the way place most people have never heard of.

https://www.visitmysmokies.com/blog/smoky-mountains/about-elkmont-ghost-town/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...y_Mountains_National_Park_Tennessee.html

The hotel in Elkmont was more than restoreable before it was closed.
The park let it rot into the ground due to neglect, erosion slowly destroyed the stone foundation on the hillside where it sat.

Now due to mismanagement and overall stupidity our Park Service hasn't the funds needed to do much more than tear down the old homesteads. They would have faired better if left in private hands.

Private holdings inside our National Parks should have never been taken by our government.

Some of the most disgusting federal land grabs in America lay scattered about in our parks.
Originally Posted by rem141r

You gotta be a brave man to eat 20 year old canned tomatoes.
Lord only knows how long his porks been in the freezer.

Nice photos. We are really looking forward to seeing the country. Maybe a deer hunting trip in the future? There HAS to be more deer than the Adirondacks!

I wouldn't bet on it.
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

I wouldn't bet on it.

Focus on Middle or West TN if you are planning on traveling there to deer hunt. There are some nice bucks in East TN, but the deer density is generally lower in the mountains.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/18/21
Originally Posted by rem141r

You gotta be a brave man to eat 20 year old canned tomatoes.
Lord only knows how long his porks been in the freezer.

eat a bowl of funny tasting tomatoes and wake up in the sistern
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the view from my living room last January. The mountains look a little Smoky.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It's a fun road to ride as long as you stay on it.

It’s OK, my brother and I rode it in July of 2010. Prob’ly better before it became famous. Too many slower-moving Harley dressers. The Sheriff’s Deputy parked half way down didn’t help either.

I’ve ridden other roads I liked better.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/18/21
The deer hunting here sucks honestly.
If you kill a 110” deer it’s something!!! Super small deer and low density

Coming here to hunt would be a total waste of time money and energy

Don’t do it is moral of story
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 12/18/21
Ride the dragon and your odds of meeting me in person while at work go way up

Hot rods is about 7 minutes from my house.
Posted By: miguel Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/07/22
We just drove into Tennessee. 21 degree and snow flurries. Just like home! The Blue Ridge mountains through Virginia were beautiful. We are very much looking forward to our time in the Smokey’s!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/07/22
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Ride the dragon and your odds of meeting me in person while at work go way up.
smile I've ridden the dragon - twice... It ain't for newbies...
Posted By: Raeford Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/07/22
We just drove into Tennessee. 21 degree and snow flurries. Just like home! The Blue Ridge mountains through Virginia were beautiful. We are very much looking forward to our time in the Smokey’s!

I81 to 40W?
Posted By: miguel Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/07/22

I81 to 40W?

Yes sir. We are all settled into the cabin we rented. The view off the back porch is breathtaking.
Cades cove is cool. Me and wife went there on our honeymoon 24 years ago, we used Laurel Mt chalets. I got drunk & passed out shortly after we arrived. Best to keep the expectations low for a happy marriage lol
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Cades cove is cool. Me and wife went there on our honeymoon 24 years ago, we used Laurel Mt chalets. I got drunk & passed out shortly after we arrived. Best to keep the expectations low for a happy marriage lol

My first wife and I rented a cabin there 23 years ago. She's gone now, died the next year.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/07/22

Yes sir. We are all settled into the cabin we rented. The view off the back porch is breathtaking.

Pics....
That's a shame blindshooter, sounds like she was cut down in her prime
Your are getting some good advice. You haven't missed anything by not going to Aruba. I would not return FOR FREE. The laziest people in the world must live in Aruba. The fools drive 2 feet off your bumper. They still take Siesta's (means lazy). TN is a good visit !!
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/07/22
It's been years since I've been there but the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City is great. It's right on the Appalachian Trail and has a good outdoor store and restaurant on site. It also has good mountain biking and seasonally, great kayaking and rafting.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/08/22
Originally Posted by UPhiker
... the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City is great.

It's at its very best at the tail end of a multi-day backpacking hike off the AT and you're hungry for a meal that didn't come out of a foil pouch.
Posted By: miguel Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/08/22
View from the cabin.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Attached picture 79A5C814-DF57-476C-8C33-A534E2CC26C3.jpeg
Attached picture FE73C0E6-F349-4A90-BA24-DD4ADDCBC5A4.jpeg
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Ride the dragon and your odds of meeting me in person while at work go way up.
smile I've ridden the dragon - twice... It ain't for newbies...

Going in too hot on a decreasing-radius curve will sure get your attentioneek
Nice photos 😎
Posted By: JeffA Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/08/22
View from the cabin.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

👍 👍
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/08/22
If your driving and looking for somewhere to go, I recommend checking out the Dillard House.
https://www.dillardhouse.com/
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Smoky Mountains Tennessee - 01/08/22
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by UPhiker
... the Nantahala Outdoor Center in Bryson City is great.

It's at its very best at the tail end of a multi-day backpacking hike off the AT and you're hungry for a meal that didn't come out of a foil pouch.
I just did a dayhike from Stecoah Gap to the NOC and had their Nantahala Gorge club sandwich with a slice of apple pie ala mode for dessert.
© 24hourcampfire