Home
Yes a lot of heat goes up the pipe. The problem is, most of the new high performance stoves, like my Jotul, need a vertical pipe or they wont draw well. You put 2 90 degree bends in my pipe and the stove will smoke all the time, be very hard to light.
probably not a good idea to have a case of dynamite next to a wood stove-----just my opinion. smile
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Yes a lot of heat goes up the pipe. The problem is, most of the new high performance stoves, like my Jotul, need a vertical pipe or they wont draw well. You put 2 90 degree bends in my pipe and the stove will smoke all the time, be very hard to light.

I have 2 90's in mine-behind stove and 3' up into the wall.
If I'm not burning locust only I have to pull it once a month +/- and clean.
I would be more scared of 12 quarts of liquid fuel sitting on top of the stove, than I would a case which used to contain dynamite.

Yep. My pipe is straight up and out of my Jotul, about 20' or so. Easy to light and draws like hell.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The OP chimney heat exchanger would be more efficient with counter flow.
if I had to think of someone from Northern Minnesota, it would be that guy

And in the vid, he has four 90-degree turns.

Gotta be a PITA to clean also.
Waiting for the chimney fire that takes out his barn...

That setup will fill up with creosote so fast, he will likely notice the pipe glowing red just above the stove before long.
Drawing cold air off the floor has a purpose, but doesn’t make the stove itself more efficient. Plus, it blows out the door every time it gets opened. Better to point into the room.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
probably not a good idea to have a case of dynamite next to a wood stove-----just my opinion. smile

Or a gas filled chainsaw anywhere near it either...mb
Fer crying out loud. Just wrap some 3” flexi pipe, in a spiral fashion, around the outside of the single wall pipe coming out of the stove.

Yeah, it’ll look silly, but no sillier than that, and it won’t make cleaning complicated, like that mess...
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

That setup will fill up with creosote so fast, he will likely notice the pipe glowing red just above the stove before long.

Yup. All those direction changes & the low temp at the top 90. Maybe he disassembles the whole mess & cleans it monthly. Not my idea of an improvement.

At the old house there was a device on the smoke pipe with a heat exchanger & a fan that came on when the coils got up to a certain temp. It worked well.
couple of small fans blowing the heat from the pipe around makes more sense than all that.
Anyone ever watch "Homestead Rescue". The head guy had pics on his home where he made a square arrangement of his flue pipes. Off the stove he teed, one went left, another tee went right, a short straight that joined both side with tees back together. All this to collect heat off the pipes.

Then an episode came along where his house burned down! Nothing ever said what caused it, but I have my idea!

A flue pipe running cold will collect creosote fast.

I wondered if someone else would figure this out, it should not take long with those exit temps.
When ever I had to calculate the covected part of heat transfer I would write, "blah blah, reynold's number, blah blah, laminar flow, hand wave, estimate, here is my invoice for engineering"

Some smart guy now designing artificial reality at Microsoft tells me that is the best I could do because interactive air movement needs a cell size so small, no super computer could ever solve. That is why we still use wind tunnels.

"That sounds logical" - Snaggletooth
Originally Posted by 358WCF

Yup. All those direction changes & the low temp at the top 90. Maybe he disassembles the whole mess & cleans it monthly. Not my idea of an improvement.

At the old house there was a device on the smoke pipe with a heat exchanger & a fan that came on when the coils got up to a certain temp. It worked well.

Stack robbers were very popular back in the day. Hardly see them anymore.

Like here:
https://i2.wp.com/circletocircle.blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/img_1647.jpg

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

And in the vid, he has four 90-degree turns.

Gotta be a PITA to clean also.

Yes that would be four nineties. I am not too good with math. Thanks for the correction.

I doubt my stove would even draw with four nineties.
I did not learn a bit of good from this..I would of walked out in the end and went home to tell the wife what I seen shocked
Originally Posted by colorado bob

When I saw that case and the guy in the Elmer-Fudd-costume and the mysterious setup with pipes and the probably gas-filled chain saw in the background I thought it is a joke. You just can't beat the efficiency of a woodstove fueled with dynamite. But obviously the guy means it seriously.
Originally Posted by rem141r
couple of small fans blowing the heat from the pipe around makes more sense than all that.

that's what I do - I just have a fan on low on the floor angled at the stove and the pipe - seems to work well enough.
Anyone remember Floyd R Turbo character played by Johnny Carson? This guy is him.
I put a dryer flex hose directly on top of my stove with an in-line fan in the hose to pump heat to a vent in the floor above.
I've wondered if anyone has built a house that had a wood stove on the first floor with a large open floor vent above it to the second floor.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've wondered if anyone has built a house that had a wood stove on the first floor with a large open floor vent above it to the second floor.

I've seen old houses here with big floor vents for that very reason. The old stone house grew up in had no heat in my bedroom above the kitchen other than a vent.

Like the stairway?......
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I've seen old houses here with big floor vents for that very reason. The old stone house grew up in had no heat in my bedroom above the kitchen other than a vent.

In my past house we initially had our stove completely encased in sheet metal with a tapering duct that ran to a 12X12 floor vent[from basement to 1st floor]. The only part of the stove you saw was the door.
It worked well.

Later we diverted the duct to the air handler on the HP, added a washable filter, put a thermostat in about 2' above the stove[inside duct] that turned the fan to HP on when the set temp was reached.

Worked like a champ and distributed hot air fairly evenly to both floors above. During power outages I could pull a panel and revert back to the 12X12 floor vent
I am slowly coming to the opinion that a good many You tube vids are produced to make a few bucks rather than to inform or educate. This vid has done nothing to change my opinion, such as it is.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Like the stairway?......

no I meant directly over the stove so heat rises straight into the second floor

I've also wondered if anyone ever coiled copper tubing around a stove or built a radiator type setup above a stove to warm water.

I watched a video this weekend of a guy that built a soaking tub out of cedar and had a portable propane water heater circulating to keep it warm.

I'm a big fan of homespun engineering that doesn't turn into a rube goldberg setup.

Like the stairway?......

Mine was basement to 1st floor at a exterior wall, the 1st floor room had a vaulted ceiling to two loft type bedrooms.[saltbox home].
Our basement temp rarely rose above 70
If I need anything more efficient than our QuadraFire...................which right now has the house up to 74F and the last log is on for the day.....................

I'll build a Russian Stove

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=russian+stove&ia=web

Like the stairway?......

I've also wondered if anyone ever coiled copper tubing around a stove or built a radiator type setup above a stove to warm water.

I watched a video this weekend of a guy that built a soaking tub out of cedar and had a portable propane water heater circulating to keep it warm.

I'm a big fan of homespun engineering that doesn't turn into a rube goldberg setup.

The best setup I have seen is the fellow that had about a 6ft tin funnel shaped heat catcher directly above his woodstove in the basement. He had ducts coming off this "device" heading off to the different rooms of the house, similar to any modern furnace. I have never seen another setup like it.
The old gravity furnaces use a system like that.
Originally Posted by xarcher
Anyone remember Floyd R Turbo character played by Johnny Carson? This guy is him.

Like the stairway?......

I’ve seen a couple 2-story cabins when I lived in Fbx where the ceiling above the wood stove had a framed hole about 3’ x 3’ to allow heated air to rise easily.
A fan at the stairwell helped force the convection.

There also were outdoor hot tubs with a wood stove in it to heat it.

The “Snorkle stove” was invented by a UAF. physics student.
https://snorkel.com/hot-tub-info/snorkel-and-scuba-stoves.php
My father was in high school in the 1930s when he had a job installing electric hot water tanks to replace wood stove water pipe coils.
It was part of the New Deal rural electrification money.

His high school history teacher threw him out of his house, as he could not trust a student working on his home.

When we built a super insulated solar home in 1982, my father designed the boiler.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
If I need anything more efficient than our QuadraFire...................which right now has the house up to 74F and the last log is on for the day.....................

I was always if taught if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all. Well I cannot say anything good about Quadrafire. Their product, their customer service or their dealers.
I have an adjustable louver grate over the wood stove.
Exactly what we had RO
Been to enough ranch auctions and seen stock tank heaters that are fired by wood with under water firebox that snorkel stove ain't a new idea...mb
I've been using the same Pacific Energy stove for about 17yrs. Money well spent.

Dry wood is the key to all stoves. I buy my wood in the spring of the year and burn it the next year's winter.
What he did was make a creosote maker.Better to run your Flue pipe hot a burn up the creosote then cool it and manufacture creosote.A chimney fire waiting to happen.The newer wood burners with cat converters burn all the excess gas and eliminate creosote.Of course you will use extra wood,but your house will not burn down.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Been to enough ranch auctions and seen stock tank heaters that are fired by wood with under water firebox that snorkel stove ain't a new idea...mb

I guess it was unique enough when first created in the late 70s.

The concept of the underwater wood stove for hot tubs was so unique that it was awarded a United States Patent, number 4455997, in 1981.

I'm a woodstove rookie, did a search on the main cause of creosote, moist wood and low temps in the Flue.
Good info. here.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I'm a woodstove rookie, did a search on the main cause of creosote, moist wood and low temps in the Flue.
Good info. here.

“Moist” as in green, uncured, wood.
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]
First house i bought with my ex wife had a "COBELSKILL" brand woodstove in the basement.It had a series of pipes in the top that was hooked up to the hot water lines to the boiler.It had safety valves and a heatmixer/water pump all hooked up.It worked well enough,IF you didn t let the fire get too hot.But,a nice fire going,when the thermostat would call for heat,the water in the system was already hot,boiler would not have to come on and burn oil so it was a savings,i got plenty of wood for free then so it was cost effective.Worked out well during a couple of bad winters we had back then.
The old cookstove in our kitchen had a built in waterheater.
A friend of mine did his thesis on wood stove control programming.

He kept saying to me, "Stoichiometric burning".

Stoichiometric Combustion Impact on Boiler Efficiency
https://sagemetering.com/combustion...ion-and-its-impact-on-boiler-efficiency/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion
A Montana relative of mine purchased an old homestead next to his ranch. It is 4 sections of land with a log cabin, corral and three sided shed. The cabin had not been lived in since the 1950s. He called me and asked for some help to fix it up so I loaded up my tools and headed west. It was in pretty rough shape, the logs were chinked with Montana gumbo, but where solid. One portion of the roof had caved in and the 12'x20' lumber lean-to on the north side was shot. Log cabin footprint was 16'x20' with a rock pillar foundation.

We tore off the lean-to, put on a new roof, busted out the gumbo and re-chinked the walls. Our attention then went to heating the place. There was an old walk-around cast iron cookstove that was cracked up beyond repair, so we drove to Lewiston to buy a stove. He bought a box stove, black pipe and insulated chimney pipe and got it installed.

A year later I helped him put on 12'x20' lean-to on the north side and did some mule deer hunting there. In a typical non-insulated cabin with the wood stove going, the floor area is cold and we talked about that. I called him a few days ago to wish him Happy New Year and he said he made an improvement in heating the cabin and he described what he did, but I was not sure what to expect. He said he got the idea from a friend over around Grass Range. He and some friends hunted mule deer and later coyotes out by the cabin and stayed a few nights. The stove improvement eliminated the cold drafts drawn to the stove from the floor and windows. I will have a chance to check it out this fall.

Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I was always if taught if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all. Well I cannot say anything good about Quadrafire. Their product, their customer service or their dealers.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Don't know how long this one was installed before we moved in here Nov 2016, but it's been working fine for us for 5 years. Only thing I've had to do was tighten the camming nut on the handle to make up for the compression of the seal over the years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
quadrafire fan here, too...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
saw a stove once that had steel pipes wrapped around the fire box. They opened on the floor and above the stove. Convection made the air in the pipes rise pulling in cold air from the floor and hot air out the top. no battery or electricity fan required. worked very well. but most stoves will run you out of a room any way.
Have a catalytic King sized Blaze King that seems quite efficient purchased in 2008. Cold air intake comes from our garage below. Takes about 20 minutes to get the converter up to temp when one can see it glowing in the top of the stove. One can put his hand on the single wall pipe about 2 ft up from where it exits the stove. It was a replacement for a Lopi that came with the house, and it cut our wood consumption by about 25%.
© 24hourcampfire