R
Exactly what we had RO

FJB & FJT
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been to enough ranch auctions and seen stock tank heaters that are fired by wood with under water firebox that snorkel stove ain't a new idea...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the same Pacific Energy stove for about 17yrs. Money well spent.

Dry wood is the key to all stoves. I buy my wood in the spring of the year and burn it the next year's winter.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
What he did was make a creosote maker.Better to run your Flue pipe hot a burn up the creosote then cool it and manufacture creosote.A chimney fire waiting to happen.The newer wood burners with cat converters burn all the excess gas and eliminate creosote.Of course you will use extra wood,but your house will not burn down.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Been to enough ranch auctions and seen stock tank heaters that are fired by wood with under water firebox that snorkel stove ain't a new idea...mb

I guess it was unique enough when first created in the late 70s.

The concept of the underwater wood stove for hot tubs was so unique that it was awarded a United States Patent, number 4455997, in 1981.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA

I've also wondered if anyone ever coiled copper tubing around a stove or built a radiator type setup above a stove to warm water.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm a woodstove rookie, did a search on the main cause of creosote, moist wood and low temps in the Flue.
Good info. here.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I'm a woodstove rookie, did a search on the main cause of creosote, moist wood and low temps in the Flue.
Good info. here.

“Moist” as in green, uncured, wood.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First house i bought with my ex wife had a "COBELSKILL" brand woodstove in the basement.It had a series of pipes in the top that was hooked up to the hot water lines to the boiler.It had safety valves and a heatmixer/water pump all hooked up.It worked well enough,IF you didn t let the fire get too hot.But,a nice fire going,when the thermostat would call for heat,the water in the system was already hot,boiler would not have to come on and burn oil so it was a savings,i got plenty of wood for free then so it was cost effective.Worked out well during a couple of bad winters we had back then.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old cookstove in our kitchen had a built in waterheater.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine did his thesis on wood stove control programming.

He kept saying to me, "Stoichiometric burning".

Stoichiometric Combustion Impact on Boiler Efficiency
https://sagemetering.com/combustion...ion-and-its-impact-on-boiler-efficiency/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Montana relative of mine purchased an old homestead next to his ranch. It is 4 sections of land with a log cabin, corral and three sided shed. The cabin had not been lived in since the 1950s. He called me and asked for some help to fix it up so I loaded up my tools and headed west. It was in pretty rough shape, the logs were chinked with Montana gumbo, but where solid. One portion of the roof had caved in and the 12'x20' lumber lean-to on the north side was shot. Log cabin footprint was 16'x20' with a rock pillar foundation.

We tore off the lean-to, put on a new roof, busted out the gumbo and re-chinked the walls. Our attention then went to heating the place. There was an old walk-around cast iron cookstove that was cracked up beyond repair, so we drove to Lewiston to buy a stove. He bought a box stove, black pipe and insulated chimney pipe and got it installed.

A year later I helped him put on 12'x20' lean-to on the north side and did some mule deer hunting there. In a typical non-insulated cabin with the wood stove going, the floor area is cold and we talked about that. I called him a few days ago to wish him Happy New Year and he said he made an improvement in heating the cabin and he described what he did, but I was not sure what to expect. He said he got the idea from a friend over around Grass Range. He and some friends hunted mule deer and later coyotes out by the cabin and stayed a few nights. The stove improvement eliminated the cold drafts drawn to the stove from the floor and windows. I will have a chance to check it out this fall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Valsdad
If I need anything more efficient than our QuadraFire...................which right now has the house up to 74F and the last log is on for the day.....................

I'll build a Russian Stove

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=russian+stove&ia=web

I was always if taught if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all. Well I cannot say anything good about Quadrafire. Their product, their customer service or their dealers.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Don't know how long this one was installed before we moved in here Nov 2016, but it's been working fine for us for 5 years. Only thing I've had to do was tighten the camming nut on the handle to make up for the compression of the seal over the years.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
quadrafire fan here, too...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
saw a stove once that had steel pipes wrapped around the fire box. They opened on the floor and above the stove. Convection made the air in the pipes rise pulling in cold air from the floor and hot air out the top. no battery or electricity fan required. worked very well. but most stoves will run you out of a room any way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a catalytic King sized Blaze King that seems quite efficient purchased in 2008. Cold air intake comes from our garage below. Takes about 20 minutes to get the converter up to temp when one can see it glowing in the top of the stove. One can put his hand on the single wall pipe about 2 ft up from where it exits the stove. It was a replacement for a Lopi that came with the house, and it cut our wood consumption by about 25%.

1Minute
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 257wthbylover, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,118
Posts18,522,864
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.