Home
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I caught a clip of an episode of Pawn Stars on YouTube. This young kid, maybe early 20s, walks in with a really badly "restored" three hundred year old flintlock pistol. He asks five hundred for it.

It had a broken hammer spring, the brass parts were painted gold, the wood was painted brown, and the steel parts were painted silver. Rick brings in an expert who says, right in front of the customer, that it will cost a thousand to properly restore it, but then after that, it would be worth at least $3,000.00. Rick then offers the kid $100.00, but eventually agrees to $150.00. Deal. He has it restored by the expert for (presumably) $1,000.00, and is then in possession of a gun worth at least $3,000.00. Actually, later (after the restore), the expert tells him it's actually worth $5,000.00.

I get that it's a dog eat dog world out there, but man, that seems like a total, intentional, rip off of the seller. Then again, the seller should have been smart enough to turn to the expert and ask him if he will restore it for him for $1,000.00, and then sell it for $3,000.00. Better yet, he should have asked the expert if he would like to buy it for $2,000.00, or some approximation of same.

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
TRH, to your list of "Thing I Don't Understand" please add Television and Retail.
Posted By: Teal Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
The entire thing is scripted and fake.

The pistol is very likely - not real and all are essentially paid actors.
Originally Posted by Teal

Not a fan of the show. Didn't know that. Interesting.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
There are only two things a sane man need not take seriously...

Television and the Campfire!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
The kid didn't care what it would be worth in the future.

He wanted some pocket jingle now for a bud of pot and pizza delivery money.

I bet some of us would turn over in our graves to know what our heirs do with some of our guns...
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I find Pawn Stars about as realistic and entertaining as Storage Wars which is pretty much TV novocain.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

It’s a fricken reality show.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I cannot stand the Family on Pawn Stars I watched the program several times years ago....if it was the only program on TV I wouldn't watch it.....
I've caught a few full episodes while visiting my father (it's one of his favorite shows). My impression was that the interactions between family members (and/or employees) seemed scripted at times (more often than not, actually), but the interactions with customers seemed legit to me, i.e., not scripted, so I'd be surprised to learn that the items sold were actually props and the customers were actually just actors reciting lines in a script. Until shown otherwise, I'm thinking that the items brought in are by real customers seeking to sell their stuff, the experts are actually that, and the prices agreed to are real.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I watched a local gun shop pay a recently widowed old lady $250 for a mint older colt python in the original box. He told her it was worth $350 and then had it out for $3500 the next week. That shops been around a long time and preys on widows like that. I no longer shop there.

Bb
Posted By: kendibs Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I was at the store a few months back, What a s--t hole.

-Ken
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Haven’t done business with a pawn shop in 35 years or so . When the economy went to hell I went into one for some quick cash till I could get a job , took a practically new Olympic arms ultra match with a vari-x 2.5-10 on it , he said 150 was best he could do , I said , you’re crazy ! He then said 185 or something stupid like that .
I sad GFY!
I was already one foot out the door when he told me to get the hell out !
Kenneth
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I bet some of us would turn over in our graves to know what our heirs do with some of our guns...

No doubt. Sad.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Even if it’s real, no one said he’d had to sell it.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Even if it’s real, no one said he’d had to sell it.

True.
Posted By: EdM Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

No worries here, thankfully.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I find Pawn Stars about as realistic and entertaining as Storage Wars which is pretty much TV novocain.

Knowing just a little about the storage business - Storage Wars is utter, scripted, BS.
It's not a far leap to realize that Pawn Stars is just more of the same.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Big Hoss and his imbecil sidekick Chumlee both need their smart mouth fat azzes kicked ! Surprised that some of the customers don't take care of that after insulting low ball offers.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I burst out laughing at the schidt they cook up on that Cajun Pawn stars show!! Thank God for the innanet and comic books! How else would they have become such authorities.

Loved the way they all schidt themselves over an average 03-A3 Spgfld in one episode. As well as a REPRODUCTION Pedersoli MLE 1777 musket!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Huntaholic Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
60% is a decent average around here. Meaning, if what you bring in is worth $1000, $600 is about the highest offer youre going to get on it.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Agreed ! As far as the guy giving the appraisal buying it, it’s not ethical ( as if that matters). Watch Antique Roadshow on PBS if you want honest reality. Generally when selling to a middle man 50% is fair.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I’m not sure if the show is real, but I have a friend who’s an expert in real shows. I’d like to give him a call and have him take a look at it, if that’s okay with you.

P
Next time you're in Vegas, go by the shop. You (and a hundred other out-of-town gawkers jammed in there) will note that the TV personalities are nowhere in sight. Nor are any TV crewmembers, lights, cameras, or sound gear. Yet, on the show, the place is almost empty of customers and other staff.

Does that tell you anything?

To TRH's other contention, that a dealer should spend $3000 to buy and restore an item that MIGHT be worth $3000 tells you what TRH knows about business.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

To TRH's other contention, that a dealer should spend $3000 to buy and restore an item that MIGHT be worth $3000 tells you what TRH knows about business.

I'd like you to show me where I said that. Ridiculous claim on your part.
"Then again, the seller should have been smart enough to turn to the expert and ask him if he will restore it for him for $1,000.00, and then sell it for $3,000.00. Better yet, he should have asked the expert if he would like to buy it for $2,000.00, or some approximation of same."

That's where you said it.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
"Then again, the seller should have been smart enough to turn to the expert and ask him if he will restore it for him for $1,000.00, and then sell it for $3,000.00. Better yet, he should have asked the expert if he would like to buy it for $2,000.00, or some approximation of same."

That's where you said it.

Not familiar with the meaning of "ask" in the context of price negotiation, I see. It's a starting point in every negotiation.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I’m not sure if the show is real, but I have a friend who’s an expert in real shows. I’d like to give him a call and have him take a look at it, if that’s okay with you.

P

No that was funny! 😁😁😁😁😁
Posted By: hookeye Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
What many dont realize is the low offers are usually accepted.

Its a pawn shop.

Know a guy that had one. Some people think selling the kids video game system and buying it back, 3 or 4 times....is OK

Expect a ridiculously low offer at a pawnshop, or even gunshop for that matter.

My LGS however, tells people the going price on stuff.
Doesnt lie to em.
And they say wed pay such and such a %.

They are NOT a pawnshop.

They flat out tell em what they can order a new one for and that for best money, its better to sell it themselves to an individual. Or they offer consignment.....if its not something common.

I hate to be the one to break the news to you TRH, but that’s what pawn shops do….
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
A good one indeed! I always find it amazing how they can come up with an expert on some of the most arcane, rare and generally unknown historical facts about some item that could be a few hundred or more years old that shows up in the shop. "No problem; I'll just call down my buddy who's a renowned expert on ( fill in the blank )".
People buy guns from RK or other places, get hard up for cash and hit my LGS and want to sell it, on the spot, for what they paid.

Seen it over and over.

Never shop there yet think its a friggin bank.

Clueless.

Then you have other people that just change their minds and are content with taking a beating on a trade.

Comical.

Originally Posted by hookeye

Its a pawn shop.

Know a guy that had one. Some people think selling the kids video game system and buying it back, 3 or 4 times....is OK

Doesnt lie to em.
They lay a %.

They are NOT a pawnshop.

They at out tell em what they can order a new one for and that for best money, its better to sell it themselves. Or consignment.....if its not something common.

I went to a gun show in the Palm Beach area back in the 1990s, and there was a guy there with a table. This guy's routine, when someone came to him with a gun, was to open up the current Blue Book and look up the price based on the year, model, and condition, and offer that exact price. That's not a good business strategy, IMO, but lots of folks were happy to bring their guns to him. The guy must have been independently wealthy, and just enjoyed dealing in used guns.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
A good one indeed! I always find it amazing how they can come up with an expert on some of the most arcane, rare and generally unknown historical facts about some item that could be a few hundred or more years old that shows up in the shop. "No problem; I'll just call down my buddy who's a renowned expert on ( fill in the blank )".

It's likely they didn't get hooked up like that till after the TV show got big.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hookeye

Its a pawn shop.

Doesnt lie to em.
They lay a %.

They are NOT a pawnshop.

They at out tell em what they can order a new one for and that for best money, its better to sell it themselves. Or consignment.....if its not something common.

I went to a gun show in the Palm Beach area back in the 1990s, and there was a guy there with a table. This guy's routine, when someone came to him with a gun, was to open up the current Blue Book and look up the price based on the year, model, and condition, and offer that exact price. That's not a good business strategy, IMO, but lots of folks were happy to bring their guns to him. The guy must have been independently wealthy, and just enjoyed dealing in used guns.

Saw a guy doing that, his book was a few yrs old.
Asked him about it and he smiled, said nobody ever asks.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I watched a local gun shop pay a recently widowed old lady $250 for a mint older colt python in the original box.

So why didn't you man up and offer her a grand for it?
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I watched a local gun shop pay a recently widowed old lady $250 for a mint older colt python in the original box. He told her it was worth $350 and then had it out for $3500 the next week. That shops been around a long time and preys on widows like that. I no longer shop there.

Bb

local shop did about the same thing, lady brought in some gun of her late husband guns and had them place on Consignment, owner said this is what he would sell them for. He sold them for alot more and kept that and still charged her 15% commission. the Attorney General got involved and the owner did some time
Spot on, hookeye. "Ask" may be the start point in negotiation, but "Offered and Accepted" is the end point.

I worked in a pawn shop for six years. Without going into great detail, any offer to buy something over 50% of its possible final sale price will mean a loss. It takes from 20% to 40% markup just to break even, considering the cost of rent, salaries, insurance, taxes, loss to damage, utilities, advertising, and several more expenses. The pawn process is similar with regard to loan/sell back ratios. Typical loan is for no more than a third of the eventual - and theoretical - sale value.

A smart pawn dealer will explain that the lower the loan, the easier it will be for the customer to pay it off and the less interest he will pay. The dealer knows that a high loan is unlikely to be paid off, and he'll get no interest money, then will have to absorb all the record-keeping and storage expenses of an item that may or may not ever cover all that plus the loan and lost interest.

That's actual business.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Wake to the reality of the world around you. Quit being a foucking RUBE. No wonder you get sucked into Happy Camper type fantasy clap and Alex Jones’ conspiracies.

1. It’s mostly (probably all) scripted

2. Pawn shops are never happy, fair places to sell anything.

As an addendum, which I doubt you’ve also never encountered. Blood and plasma donation centers are not cool places to hang around either. So far no reality show on those, yet
Originally Posted by 22250rem

It's likely they didn't get hooked up like that till after the TV show got big.

Hard to say. Old LGS that I was associated with been around for quite a while. You never inew who in the firearm fraternity would walk in. Been sharing PM’s with a poster here recently about Mr. Aagard’s visits back in the day.

But remembering the old man very well who started the shop and his associates ( all founding members of Texas Gun Collectors Assn back in the 50’s). We knew who to call or talk to when we needed additional info. I was lucky to be able to meet and handle some pretty historical stuff over the years. Did find two of my GGgrandfathers Colts in a private collection of a very famous collector in Waco. One is still in The Texas Ranger Museum at Ft. Fisher!!!
You folks realize, of course, that I'm aware that responses to my posts on any subject are based 98% on whether you generally like my positions on other topics, right?
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Buyer beware. Especially from a pawn shop (only shot by a little old lady on Sundays at her husband's empty beer cans).
Posted By: joken2 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

Pawn shops can get screwed sometimes, too. Was looking at a Bose speaker setup once a local pawn shop had playing music through. Asked how much and was told not for sale as they weren't real Bose speakers just the box was real Bose, the internals were some other no-name stuff. Said they took in on pawn believing to be real Bose, too.

I've actually made a few pretty good buys on firearms from pawn shops back in pre-internet days -- Ruger in 25/06 with 12X Leupold and TC Renegade in .54 cal package deal for as I recall around $350 - $400 total out the door -- Early Savage 1899 in 250/3000 for a little over $400.

Literally mind-blowing how much never redeemed / unsold items established pawn shops can have warehoused for years which amounts to many, many dollars tied up for no telling how long.

Don't know if annual inventory tax applies to pawnshops the same as it does for regular retail businesses, but if it does, there's that..
Posted By: TheKid Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I've caught a few full episodes while visiting my father (it's one of his favorite shows). My impression was that the interactions between family members (and/or employees) seemed scripted at times (more often than not, actually), but the interactions with customers seemed legit to me, i.e., not scripted, so I'd be surprised to learn that the items sold were actually props and the customers were actually just actors reciting lines in a script. Until shown otherwise, I'm thinking that the items brought in are by real customers seeking to sell their stuff, the experts are actually that, and the prices agreed to are real.

Everything that comes in while the camera is on is scripted with “actors”. The production company has people out scouting for interested stuff they rent it buy then research and come up with a story line and an “expert”. Then they pick a person from a casting call to be the “owner”.

The stuff on the storage shows is all planted and no money actually changes hands.

Trust me on this, I speak from first hand experience.
You folks realize, of course, that I'm aware that responses to my posts on any subject are based 98% on whether you generally like my positions on other topics, right?

I believe you and I get along pretty well😊

I certainly can relate to some of your points on this thread.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yep. I was referring to those who have little more than vitriol for anything I post, regardless of subject.

Yep. I was referring to those who have little more than vitriol for anything I post.

I understand 😊
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
If you frequent pawn shops and buy items occasionally and get to know the owners, they often will give you very good deals. I have bought and traded numerous guns and scopes at local pawn shops for great deals. I never sell at pawn shops however.
While on the subject, I personally knew a tv star from one of these shows who is now serving like three life sentences at Angola.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

Yep. I was referring to those who have little more than vitriol for anything I post, regardless of subject.

The same few guys do that to anyone they think they can while scoring bonus innernet points with their buddies.
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
If you frequent pawn shops and buy items occasionally and get to know the owners, they often will give you very good deals. I have bought and traded numerous guns and scopes at local pawn shops for great deals. I never sell at pawn shops however.

Oh hell, I've know a pawn broker around here for 20 years. I've purchased half a dozen classic guns (and the occasional coin) from him in that time, and sold quite a few more through his establishment. He's as fair as the day is long. He once screwed up and claimed he already paid me for a gun he sold for me, but when I showed him my paperwork and asked him to check again, he went back to his safe, saw the cash clipped to his copy of the paperwork, came out and profusely apologized for the screw up. He's very honest and fair. Not perfect, but honest and fair.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

The same few guys do that to anyone they think they can while scoring bonus innernet points with their buddies.

Exactly.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Who knew a pawn shop wasn't the most economical place to sell something?
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Like them or hate them, pawn shops are a real world value assessment institution. If you really want to know what you have is worth, take it to a pawn shop, then add 20%.

Getting all worked up over a business you don’t understand is like trying to fly a jet and you don’t know how to start it.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

I love finding grampy guns in the pawnshops around here.
Grampy can rest easy cause I will use them accordingly.
Espeically when the pawnshop has corporate breathing down theur azz to meet weekly and monthly sales goals. ( Pawn America)
And the employees are aloof at times in pricing and what exactly the firearm is.

Rough appearance looking custom 98k with bore and mechanisms in exc condition.
Shop let me come back down with screw driver set and dissemble to take pics of all markings under the stock on the receiver
Went home.
Google fu...
Sako workshop marks all over that rifle.
Post WW2 ones sako picked up around Europe did their stuff to em. Then sold on PX,s in Germany and France in the 50,s and early 60,s
👍👍👍👍👍
Had ta be a grampy gun brought back from europe.

185 bucks OTD later that afternoon.
And I sure as fugg didn't educate em on what it was..
But I did bring it back in after I refinished the wood and metal to show it to em.
Marlin 36G same pawn shop
Right around 175 or 180ish OTD.
They didn't know what it was either other than a rough looking Marlin.
Showed that off to em also after it was refinished.
Many other guns outta them since 1993 era.

I like scoping out pawnshops around here.
4 Pawn America's
and 3 mom and pop shops.
The mom and pop shops are difficult at times to deal with.
But if ya build a relationship with them over time, you can haggle with em.

Pawnstars is a TV show based very loosely on reality in Vegas.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Like them or hate them, pawn shops are a real world value assessment institution. If you really want to know what you have is worth, take it to a pawn shop, then add 20%.

Getting all worked up over a business you don’t understand is like trying to fly a jet and you don’t know how to start it.

What makes you think I don't understand it? I'm well aware they need to buy quite low in order to make a living. In this case, however, we're talking about a disparity between a $150.00 purchase for something worth $5,000.00 at auction. Might be legal, but that strikes me as a bit unethical.

It would be different if Rick thought it was worth $350, and paid $150.00 for it, and only later realized it was actually worth $5,000.00 at auction.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by HitnRun

What makes you think I don't understand it? I'm well aware they need to buy quite low in order to make a living. In this case, however, we're talking about a disparity between a $150.00 purchase for something worth $5,000.00 at auction. Might be legal, but that strikes me as a bit unethical.

It would be different if Rick thought it was worth $350, and paid $150.00 for it, and only later realized it was actually worth $5,000.00 at auction.

Before you answered with this reply, my comment was not focussed at you. However, it is clear how little you understand of business, specifically pawn shops.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

Yea

Even when everyone else piled on you a thousand times before, I stuck with you.

The magnetic shît, the graphene, dr mercola, glow in the dark Lucifer luminous in the wrists, Bill Gates, etc.. Sucking off Happy Camper on a regular basis.

Can’t get passed that.

Surely not, no?

🤷‍♀️
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
We never get anything good at the pawn shops or the used racks.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Just like trying to find something cool at Goodwill these days. Straight to fleabay!
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
We get some good stuff occasionally, but they find the highest price one sold for on Gunbroker and mark that up about 10-15%
Posted By: Willto Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by renegade50

I love finding grampy guns in the pawnshops around here.
Grampy can rest easy cause I will use them accordingly.
Espeically when the pawnshop has corporate breathing down theur azz to meet weekly and monthly sales goals. ( Pawn America)
And the employees are aloof at times in pricing and what exactly the firearm is.

Rough appearance looking custom 98k with bore and mechanisms in exc condition.
Shop let me come back down with screw driver set and dissemble to take pics of all markings under the stock on the receiver
Went home.
Google fu...
Sako workshop marks all over that rifle.
Post WW2 ones sako picked up around Europe did their stuff to em. Then sold on PX,s in Germany and France in the 50,s and early 60,s
👍👍👍👍👍
Had ta be a grampy gun brought back from europe.

185 bucks OTD later that afternoon.
And I sure as fugg didn't educate em on what it was..
But I did bring it back in after I refinished the wood and metal to show it to em.
Marlin 36G same pawn shop
Right around 175 or 180ish OTD.
They didn't know what it was either other than a rough looking Marlin.
Showed that off to em also after it was refinished.
Many other guns outta them since 1993 era.

I like scoping out pawnshops around here.
4 Pawn America's
and 3 mom and pop shops.
The mom and pop shops are difficult at times to deal with.
But if ya build a relationship with them over time, you can haggle with em.

Pawnstars is a TV show based very loosely on reality in Vegas.

I like them too. I bought a rifle from a pawn shop that the owner thought was a standard run of the mill Mosin Nagant. He had no idea what he really had. 74 bucks later I walked out with a Finnish M-28 with a Tikka barrel assembled in a Sako plant.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
It's a pawn shop, albeit a higher end one.
Pawn shops are about a notch below used car sellers and tattoo parlors.

They are only about three notches above politicians.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
That's what they are in the business for, granted though I can take in one of my custom Harrington surf rods I built and borrow more than what I built them for, around 500 or so. They cost me about 300 to build back about 20 years ago . they don't make Harrington blanks anymore and people will pay out the ass for one.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
When I show up at a pawn shop with a laptop and a borescope to look at rifling, the price starts on a downhill slide. I walked out of a pawn/gun shop just east of Memphis one afternoon when they wouldn't consider my offer on a scoped, sporterized 1917 Eddystone labeled "300 Win Mag". Before I could make it to my car, the counter man chased me down and accepted the offer. Guess what? A 300 Mag cartridge wouldn't chamber- - - -it was actually a 300 H&H! Out the door, background check and all, for $275.00!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

Correct....
Posted By: EdM Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I too have bought a number of firearms and optics from pawn shops over the years. All priced right.

That's because the Indians who stole it sell it to other ranchers for more money... grin
Originally Posted by EdM
I too have bought a number of firearms and optics from pawn shops over the years. All priced right.

Yeah, that's all I do in a pawn shop.

Buy.

You can get some decent deals. They'll definitely haggle.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
DYODD Papa said.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
It's a pawn shop in Las Vegas (Lost Wages), caveat emptor......'n sheeit
Actually never had the desire to frequent pawn shops. Been in a few. Just no interest
Posted By: Teal Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Actually never had the desire to frequent pawn shops. Been in a few. Just no interest

Same. Never found anything worth trying to negotiate for.

Locally, guns get sold to the local gun shops so unless you want old crap home stereos or bad jewelry with the the occasional pair of cross country skis, pawn shops are bust.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Lately been watching some of pawn shop shows , Cajun Pawn Stars or something like that based in Louisiana I like to show cuz there's a lot of historical stuff. And then there's I think it's called Hardcore Pawn based in Detroit. All the fighting and screaming and yelling and it's always the groins causing issues.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Evey pawn shop I've been in, the owners are the biggest ass wipes ! Why is that ? Hate their jobs that much ? phugg em all.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by ldholton
Lately been watching some of pawn shop shows , Cajun Pawn Stars or something like that based in Louisiana I like to show cuz there's a lot of historical stuff. And then there's I think it's called Hardcore Pawn based in Detroit. All the fighting and screaming and yelling and it's always the groins causing issues.

PawnXXX is good also.

Cute chicks always done on their luck……….

Just like trying to find something cool at Goodwill these days. Straight to fleabay!

Yep, that's where the good stuff goes.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

PawnXXX is good also.

😂😂😂😂

Sometimes Mom too.
Posted By: tzone Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Prayers sent.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I’ve quit looking for deals in pawn shops. Way overpriced in my area. Plenty of cheap tools, probably stolen from local plants.
Hasbeen
Posted By: MJones Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I have everybody beat on pawn shop scores . About 15 years ago my wife and I were in Springfield at a pawn shop and Holy [bleep] !!! 2 Buenos Aires police turn in P-35 High Powers were in the case . 10 minutes later and $ 400.00 dollars less in my pocket , both those bastards rode home with me .
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
We've bought a few things reasonable, to cheap at pawn shops, but it's been a long time .
Posted By: JeffP Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Who da think a pawn shop was in business to negotiate maximum profit margins selling used stuff?...
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Everything is fake with this show. This whole "bit" is prolly just something to stir the pot.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22

I walked past one in Shepparton Vic some twenty-five years ago, I have not seen another as they aren't an Australian thing.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
I burst out laughing at the schidt they cook up on that Cajun Pawn stars show!! Thank God for the innanet and comic books! How else would they have become such authorities.

Loved the way they all schidt themselves over an average 03-A3 Spgfld in one episode. As well as a REPRODUCTION Pedersoli MLE 1777 musket!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yep. It’s even worse than Pawn Stars. And the family that owns it is dumber too. If that even possible.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I walked past one in Shepparton Vic some twenty-five years ago, I have not seen another as they aren't an Australian thing.

Interesting. That never occurred to me. In the US, they function like a bank loan office, except the collateral you put up to back your loan is personal chattels. If you don't pay back the loan, the broker keeps the chattels and sells them to make up for what you owed. So they become expert at figuring out how much they could sell things for in order to determine how much of a loan they can afford to give.
Posted By: mathman Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. It’s even worse than Pawn Stars. And the family that owns it is dumber too. If that even possible.

How were they Cajuns? That was in Alexandria, waaaaay north of I-10. Rednecks maybe.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

And about 10 notches above delusional, self appointed, hate filled, pathological lying preachers.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
Someone with $100 took advantage of someone that needed $100?

That’s wild.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/10/22
My Dad actually visited Pawn Stars in Vegas, but he did it early in the morning like most militaries tend to prefer. No "celebs" around, not much of a crowd, but lots of T-shi rts for sale. Still enjoyed the program, though.
I've gotten some pretty good deals at pawnshops, but it does require a little "shopping." However, I've got two excellent commercial Mausers that were 250 out the door each, a little mungy on the outside, but I got them out of the stock and no pitting, so I was happy to throw down and yay for me.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by MJones
I have everybody beat on pawn shop scores . About 15 years ago my wife and I were in Springfield at a pawn shop and Holy [bleep] !!! 2 Buenos Aires police turn in P-35 High Powers were in the case . 10 minutes later and $ 400.00 dollars less in my pocket , both those bastards rode home with me .

Major score right there!!!!!!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22

Springfield ? Mo ? Which shop ?
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

PawnXXX is good also.

😂😂😂😂

Sometimes Mom too.

Think they get intell from the mall security guy on Xnxx??
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
I’ve made a few dollars trading guns from pawn shops hasn’t been long ago aI bought a 788 308 for $175 right place right time I cruise them often
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22

Ahhhh .

Look at the little knick knack porcelin figurine thingys.

I have scored some 1840 english up to early 1950,s Occupied japan porcelin peices at goodwill.
Your average doofus looking at that stuff aint got a clue .
Your average good will worker aint got a clue either putting stuff out or sorting it in the back

Khans china cabinet has a couple of 350 to 500 dolla figurines. That I have found over the years at goodwills.

I go in em once or twice a year.
Looking for 2xl or 3xl heavy cotton white t shirts to cut up for gun cleaning patches.
Always look for the tag color of the day
1/2 price👍👍👍
Then go hit the knick knick figurine aisle.
Smart phone and google fu on the
J
O
B

Khan thinks they were exspensive gifts.
Which they woulda been in a antique shop.

.99 to 3.99 on the shelf.....

Sure as fugg ain't gonna educate the goodwillites...
🥴🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: EdM Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Only an idiot in their right mind has to loose at a pawn shop, gun shop or gun show. Though well deserved when successful...
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr

And about 10 notches above delusional, self appointed, hate filled, pathological lying preachers.

You talking to me again?

You bet I'm filled to the top and running over with hate for the Drag Queen Story Hour pot bellied pedos.
I'll take every one of your insults as a compliment considering your views on that Jack. Here's your views on the Drag Queen Story Hour in CONTEXT

[NV said 7-19-21

"My thoughts are that a deranged, sexually frustrated, Christian zealot, with a martyr complex, who must constantly set up his soap box in the public square to tell everyone that disagrees with his parochial version of religion that they are going to hell, is a dunce. (How's that for a run on sentence?)
Crappy Hamper came here looking for attention and I'm more than happy to oblige him. He might not like the attention he gets though.
What happens between consenting adults in private is none of my business.
If you don't like what your children are learning at their school, take them out and put them in a school that teaches what you agree with."
]

I say
Call me whatever you and the fairies you defend want to label me.
Flaming pedos should never be in any schools, libraries or near children!

Now tell us what about you makes you call yourself "Christian"???
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Been to the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop twice. Met Rick once. He was actually a pretty nice dude. He has a BBQ joint next door that is pretty descent.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr

You talking to me again?

You bet I'm filled to the top and running over with hate for the Drag Queen Story Hour pot bellied pedos.
I'll take every one of your insults as a compliment considering your views on that Jack. Here's your views on the Drag Queen Story Hour in CONTEXT

[NV said 7-19-21

"My thoughts are that a deranged, sexually frustrated, Christian zealot, with a martyr complex, who must constantly set up his soap box in the public square to tell everyone that disagrees with his parochial version of religion that they are going to hell, is a dunce. (How's that for a run on sentence?)
Crappy Hamper came here looking for attention and I'm more than happy to oblige him. He might not like the attention he gets though.
What happens between consenting adults in private is none of my business.
If you don't like what your children are learning at their school, take them out and put them in a school that teaches what you agree with."
]

I say
Call me whatever you and the fairies you defend want to label me.
Flaming pedos should never be in any schools, libraries or near children!

Now tell us what about you makes you call yourself "Christian"???

Sorry, I must have missed your point. Maybe you could repeat it a little louder Leonardo.

Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Hawkeye, you have a fine collection that most anybody would envy. Wherever you shopped for these, you know how to pick them.
Posted By: UselessEater Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Rebecca the book expert is hot as hell, I want to buy a rare book and take it there just to shake her hand.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by UselessEater
Rebecca the book expert is hot as hell, I want to buy a rare book and take it there just to shake her hand.

Yep. She’s the only one on there worth watching.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
3 things a pawn customer won’t have,

A job
A friend
Teeth
Posted By: UselessEater Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22

There was a book only highlight episode, pretty cool.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
I find the show interesting, occasionally educational, and even entertaining. Obviously, info on some of those obscure objects are well researched before screening, as I'm yet to meet anyone that could come close to being that well versed in such a broad array of subjects.

Never been lucky enough to score a British double that some broker thought was Steven's 410 side by. Better luck with yard or estate sales.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22

Is she still married to Mitt's brother?
Originally Posted by 1minute
I find the show interesting, occasionally educational, and even entertaining. Obviously, info on some of those obscure objects are well researched before screening, as I'm yet to meet anyone that could come close to being that well versed in such a broad array of subjects.

Never been lucky enough to score a British double that some broker thought was Steven's 410 side by. Better luck with yard or estate sales.

YouTube has been recommending the gun sales segments from this show to me a lot lately. I find that Rick often gets things wrong on guns, and sometimes his entire spiel on a firearm's history, technical info, etc., is completely wrong.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Use to be some dang good pawn shops in south Florida for buying and trading guns.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by 1minute

YouTube has been recommending the gun sales segments from this show to me a lot lately. I find that Rick often gets things wrong on guns, and sometimes his entire spiel on a firearm's history, technical info, etc., is completely wrong.

Well, afterall….. It is the "History" channel.

😉
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
Chumlee gets a boner everytime Rebecca visits the shop, unfortunately she doesn't appear the least bit interested in that doper azzclown.
Posted By: MJones Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22

Springfield ? Mo ? Which shop ?

Loftis down by Bass Pro
Posted By: MJones Re: Pawn Stars Rip Off - 01/11/22
My next best score was a never gassed 394XP Husqvarna up in K.C around the same time , got it for $ 325.00.
© 24hourcampfire