Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Country Ham - 01/16/22
Never had country ham. I suspect its probably a lot like what my great Grand parents on the Drewniak side would make.

Looked at a place called Benton's country ham. They are 80 bucks or so. Not sure if that includes shipping.

Do the locals in Country Ham country eat a lot of this stuff? Can you get it much cheaper than that?

Is it considered a delicacy?

The mass produced hams we get are under 2 bucks a pound.

Just curious.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
As to the title, is it in Ireland?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Drier, more salty, kinda more...solid.

Talking salt cured, smoked. Like my grandparents did them.

Not the dehydrated in salt hams from Virginia.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Good catch.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
We eat a lot of country ham. We also have a lot of heart surgeries. My wife likes to boil an entire country ham. It is delicious that way, as well as sliced and fried. If you like salty, smoky meat, you’ll love it.
Posted By: pullit Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
we eat country ham form time to time. We usually fry it in coke, it takes a little of the salt out and gives it a little sweet taste. You wind up with a sweet and salty state.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
It seems awful expensive.

Must be some cheaper options locally?
Posted By: smokepole Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Every country ham I've had was too salty for my tastes. You've gotta offset the salt with something like a biscuit, and you don't eat a lot of it, not like regular ham.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
The wife washes the ham sliced to reduce salt before cooking. She likes to cook in
“ red eye gravy “! Very good!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Not the Irish! Lol.

Jim- I doubt it includes shipping. The hams ain’t huge, but not small either. Maybe 15-20#’s? Also being cured, there is very little moisture to them. They are quite hard and dry. Many folks soak them before trying to slice and cook.

Lots of folks with good country hams, Benton is definitely one of the best. Super nice folks behind the counter. Call them up and see if they’ve a minute for some questions.
Jim, here's a little tutorial about how one smokehouse makes country ham:

http://dardenscountrystore.com/HamminItUp.html

My wife went to school with the woman who runs it with her husband. We got the tour of the smokehouse, it was pretty cool. New York Times did a big write-up on 'em about 10 years ago.

Interesting fact, they coat the hams with black pepper while they're smoking, to keep bugs off. IIRC, they told us the black pepper was one of their biggest expenses, they use a ton of it.
Posted By: gunzo Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
My family never smoked them. Just hand rubbed in curing salt, & rubbed some more. Dad, my mom's dad, dad's sister, neighbors, the whole bunch cured the same. They all dreaded doing it as their hands would get so raw.

Put inside a heavy paper sack & hung for about a year. That might indicate the expense of one that's properly done. A big slice cooked med-rare in cast iron & country eggs fried in the ham grease might be the best breakfast there is.

Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by smokepole
Every country ham I've had was too salty for my tastes. You've gotta offset the salt with something like a biscuit, and you don't eat a lot of it, not like regular ham.

I’ve always soaked them overnight, discarded the water and with fresh water bring it to a boil then let it soak for a few hours before putting it in the oven. I don’t know what my ex MIL did, but being too salty was never a problem….country ham is the best…
Posted By: CashisKing Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Google "Smithfield country ham"... it was the Gold Standard forever. At least for us Virginians

IMHO... shave as thin as possible (often called chipping)... amazing stuff... on top of biscuits and gravy... chipped beef... grilled cheese sandwiches... you use VERY LITTLE... VERY THIN and VERY LITTLE...

Hell, looking at an ice cream maker here in the corner... I would make bacon or country ham ice cream even. The salt/Sodium is a killer... be careful or your BP will jack.

A dried ham will last for months...

Smithfield bought by China 3 or so years ago.

https://www.myrecipes.com/extracris...any-three-years-ago-has-anything-changed

Hell... China owns everything anymore... your bourbon is probably owned by China... fugg I hate that...
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Eat it at Waffle House about once a month!

Tasty but not good for you.

Mike
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Try and find a grocery store and buy a pound shaved/chipped as thin as a rolling paper. Jungle Jims in Ohio used to do that for me. Your family will go bonkers... or not... then buy a leg... or make your own... might be some money in it for you?
Posted By: skeen Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by pullit
we eat country ham form time to time. We usually fry it in coke, it takes a little of the salt out and gives it a little sweet taste. You wind up with a sweet and salty state.

Huh. That's interesting.
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by smokepole

I’ve always soaked them overnight, discarded the water and with fresh water bring it to a boil then let it soak for a few hours before putting it in the oven. I don’t know what my ex MIL did, but being too salty was never a problem….country ham is the best…

Yeah, I like it in small doses but when I buy a whole ham I find that I can't eat a bunch of it.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
They can be salty depending on how they're cured. I love it that way but not allot. This place is not far from me https://www.smokehouse.com/ham.html. Yep high priced stuff but good. The walmarts around here had them in their stores some time ago but I have no idea now. An ambitious person could grow their own hogs and cure the hams themselves as what was once common. When I was a kid we cured some with sugar. Those were good too.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
I buy this brand of sliced ham at the local grocery. My mom boiled country hams then baked them. I rinse the sliced then cook them. Frying the slices in a bit of black coffee is good.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Google "Smithfield country ham"... it was the Gold Standard forever. At least for us Virginians

IMHO... shave as thin as possible (often called chipping)... amazing stuff... on top of biscuits and gravy... chipped beef... grilled cheese sandwiches... you use VERY LITTLE... VERY THIN and VERY LITTLE...

A real country ham is every bit as good as an Italian Speck! Just like Speck, it get's better with age, with a year being about minimum and 2 years being prime. I'm gonna make a couple and set them up like Capicola, in a rack with a towel draped over it so I can slice a little off whenever I walk by.

Jim, you could certainly handle making your own.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I buy this brand of sliced ham at the local grocery. My mom boiled country hams then baked them. I rinse the sliced then cook them. Frying the slices in a bit of black coffee is good.

I forgot about that...

Red Eye Gravy... google it.
Originally Posted by skeen

Huh. That's interesting.

I can see that...
Posted By: nugget Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Benton hams are in Madisonville Tennessee, I don’t like country ham,but they also have some of the best bacon you will ever eat
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Country Ham - 01/16/22
Here's a vid on making your own from UK. The basic technique works with many cuts of hog.

Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Country Ham - 01/16/22
I love it with fried, runny eggs.
Posted By: slumlord Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
I like it raw
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Country Ham - 01/16/22
Buddy in Colorado made his own. He was a nerdy fella, Professor of microbiology at CSU, he got way into it.

They’d hang in his basement for months and months. Some were pretty damn good. He didn’t smoke them though.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: County Ham - 01/16/22

Hell, looking at an ice cream maker here in the corner... I would make bacon or country ham ice cream even. The salt/Sodium is a killer... be careful or your BP will jack.

Hell... China owns everything anymore... your bourbon is probably owned by China... fugg I hate that...

I love country ham but don't like Smithfield brand at all.

My favorite is turner hams from Fulks Run, VA followed by kites from over in Madison County.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I like it raw

For sure, I always eat as much raw as ends up in the bean pot
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
https://foothillscountryham.com/

Good stuff! I “fry” it in water to get some of the salt out. About once every couple of months or so is enough. As said Country ham will put your BP through the roof.

We NEVER cook a whole have, that’s what fuggin picnic shoulders are for. (My opinion)

We alwaya get our’s sliced up and then I clean-scrape the marrow, trim the bone and rind. I put up 2 this last month

Repackage it in vac seal food saver bags 2-3 slices at a time

Country ham is for breakfast around here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: SandBilly Re: County Ham - 01/16/22

We NEVER cook a whole have, that’s what fuggin picnic shoulders are for. (My opinion)

We alwaya get our’s sliced up and then I clean-scrape the marrow, trim the bone and rind. I put up 2 this last month

Holy crap. Feeding an army?

Mrs slumlord eats a lot of country ham, she has too. Her blood pressure runs about 80 over 60

it’s therapeutic for her 😃😂
Posted By: Bobcat85 Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by gunzo
My family never smoked them. Just hand rubbed in curing salt, & rubbed some more. Dad, my mom's dad, dad's sister, neighbors, the whole bunch cured the same. They all dreaded doing it as their hands would get so raw.

Put inside a heavy paper sack & hung for about a year. That might indicate the expense of one that's properly done. A big slice cooked med-rare in cast iron & country eggs fried in the ham grease might be the best breakfast there is.

This...PaPa's meat house was a cinder block building under a huge Water Oak. He used a lot of salt, pepper and some brown sugar. Seems like we would rub the hams for days but as kids didn't mind because we knew Granny would be making us some fresh crackling. That is the best breakfast ever! No 2 slices were the same when PaPa cut it off the bone! Still love it but I am about the only one who eats it here now. Soaking in water does remove a lot of the salt but it doesn't taste as good.
Most places that sale it whole also sale individual slices if your not sure you will like it.
I like it raw

I do as well in small portions & thought that the threat of trichinosis was gone for the most part. But I've I've been recently told that it's still around.

I wonder how the Spaniards & Portuguese keep from getting it. Raw cured ham a big time delicacy there I think.
Slum,

That's how we do it too. Love fried country ham.

We bake a boneless one a couple times of year too to put on the slicer for sandwiches/ biscuits
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Broadbent Farms in central Kentucky sells some of the best country ham I've had, since a neighbor in middle Tennessee in the town where I grew up passed on. He routinely won "Grand Champion Ham" at the Tennessee state fair in the 1960's and 70's. Broadbent's whole hams average around $10.00 a pound plus UPS shipping, $159.00 for a 15-17 pound ham, according to their website. If you buy a whole ham, you would need to have a local butcher cut it into approximately 1/4" thick slices with a band saw. Once sliced, vacuum pack the meat with a Food Saver and freeze it. Smoked, salt cured hams will keep for several months in a cool, dry environment without refrigeration. That's why hams and other cuts of meat were cured before the days of refrigeration. Whittle off a few slices, and wrap what's left in a piece of burlap or a flour sack. "Hog-killing time" was usually around the first frost of the year, and meat was salt cured and smoked so it would last over the winter. Washing the meat before cooking gets rid of the bone chips created by the butcher's band saw and removes a lot of the salt. I cook it in a cast iron skillet and use a saucepan lid to cover the meat with a few drops of water underneath to steam-tenderize it.

"Sugar cured ham" is a fairly recent invention, and spoils very quickly unless it's kept refrigerated constantly. A few generations ago that was simply not an option. Beef, venison, and buffalo jerky was another way of preserving meat in pre-refrigeration times.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
For most folks, buying sliced is the way to go. Dealing with a whole cured ham that’s hard as a rock ain’t terribly easy.
Posted By: cfran Re: County Ham - 01/16/22

That looks amazing!
Originally Posted by Dude270

My favorite is turner hams from Fulks Run, VA followed by kites from over in Madison County.

Thanks... I'll check out "Turner hams from Fulks Run, VA followed by Kites from over in Madison County".
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Lots of country ham made and consumed around here. It is typically a breakfast staple, and often put on a biscuit. I’ve eaten it all my life and love it. This past summer I heated some up on the grill and I really liked it that way. I’d bet a dollar that Carolinians eat more of it than the other regions of the country.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
A ham biscuit is about the best thing ever. The winning ham at the state fair this year (from Broadbent's) sold for 4.8 million bucks.

https://www.wlky.com/article/grand-...-at-kentucky-state-fair-auction/37405195
Posted By: Cheesy Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
I wish I could find a picture of the ham exhibit at the Missouri Stare Fair. 8’ tall shelves. Hams on 1’ centers all the way around the room. Hundreds of them.

$50/plate will get you a ticket to the Ham breakfast though.

https://www.mostatefair.com/governors-ham-breakfast/
Dang- - - - - -that better be some really good ham to be worth over 500 bucks a bite!
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
I tried one a few years ago, it was cured by coating it salt and hung in a shed for a year in Kentucky. You were supposed to soak it in a 5 gal bucket of clean water for a few hours, I soaked it in clean water twice. It was still too salty for me, but ok other than that. If I did it again I would soak it and change the water out 4-5 times. It was interesting.
Originally Posted by Dude270

Thanks... I'll check out "Turner hams from Fulks Run, VA followed by Kites from over in Madison County".

If I remember correctly, didn't you get a place in pendleton County?

If you come over through the Dayton or bridgewater area you can grab some kites from the Dayton farmers market. The meat counter
has it already baked and sliced thin for sandwiches. Pretty sure the grocery store in bridgewater sells it that way too, I know they have whole kites hams.

I'd be curious to hear how you like it compared to other hams

Pretty sure you need to go to fulks run for a turner ham but it's worth it. Friday they have fried ham sandwiches made to order. Let me know when you are in the neighborhood and I'll meet you there and buy us lunch.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Jim. Go ahead and try it

Bentons is just a couple miles down the highway from me

They are a legit old school smokehouse. You walk out smelling like smoked meat. It’s not a big factory Bet the whole place ain’t 5000 sq ft. It’s a mom and pop shop. Still doing things the old fashioned way

Have shot guns with the owner twice. He is a very nice man.

There bacon is too salty and Smokey for me for eating plain. But cooking with it is amazing. Most people love it though. Lots of high end restaurants buy it apparently

There country ham is top notch.

It’s gonna be salty. That’s why you soak it and bring water to a boil. To reduce the saltiness. Then it’s amazing!!!
I like it raw

I do as well in small portions & thought that the threat of trichinosis was gone for the most part. But I've I've been recently told that it's still around.

I wonder how the Spaniards & Portuguese keep from getting it. Raw cured ham a big time delicacy there I think.
The curing process destroys trichinosis and all other harmful pathogens.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Country Ham - 01/16/22
While it may be a bit salty, that can be fixed with an application of Duke's.
Posted By: EFHutton Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Check out Ricecountryhams.com , located in Tennessee, they cure the hams the old fashion way .
I should go up to our old smokehouse behind Mammy’s place here on the farm. The ham and salt boxes are still in there. Get some pics.

Probably a gazillion brown recluse spiders in there 🥴😕🙁

No ham boxes in my smokehouse. I just smoke.

I need to get a medium size Porky from the Mennonites and then get my father in law to walk me thru a hamming cure
Posted By: cuznguido Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Never had country ham. I suspect its probably a lot like what my great Grand parents on the Drewniak side would make.

Looked at a place called Benton's country ham. They are 80 bucks or so. Not sure if that includes shipping.

Do the locals in Country Ham country eat a lot of this stuff? Can you get it much cheaper than that?

Just curious.

If you like ham, you will love it. Benton is one of the best and none of them are cheap.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I like it raw

The curing process destroys trichinosis and all other harmful pathogens.

Thanks Tyrone. I was thinking that but have had folk swear you can still get it from country ham. Think they may not quite know what true cured ham is.

When I was growing up, dad would have some of the prettiest burgundy colored cured hams you could ask for & I didn't like it. Well, not the way my poor mom would cook it. She was deathly scared if trichinosis & fried those big pretty slices into a complete shoe sole.
It was when I got away from home & had some cooked medium rare that I realized how good it was.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Country Ham - 01/16/22
F

Just curious.

Basically, if you like cured smoked bacon, odds you'll most likely like country cured ham, too, but would probably be best if you (and family) tried a little first before buying a whole ham. It is sold prepackaged under a good many different commercial brand names in various portion sizes and quantities, like 'ham steaks', 'biscuit' cuts, 'seasoning' cuts, etc. If you like it well enough to buy a whole one, unless you have access to commercial grade meat slicer / band saw, I'd strongly recommend buying it already sliced. Also, unless you're a salt freak I'd also strongly suggest you at least rinse off slices well before frying or adding to other dishes as seasoning. Frying it in a little Cola is pretty tasty as well, too. I generally buy it in prepackaged 'biscuit' cuts and eat it fried in a little cola or Dr. Pepper type soda then eat it on biscuits. Sometimes I sop the biscuit halves in the leftover pan drippings. DO NOT over cook...

Posted By: wabigoon Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Reading the Little House in the big woods book, I wondered how hams could hang from the rafters, and not spoil.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Reading the Little House in the big woods book, I wondered how hams could hang from the rafters, and not spoil.
It really doesn't spoil unless it gets wet. It can get moldy, but you wash that off with vinegar. Other than that, it could get too dry for your taste, but it wouldn't be inedible, you'd just have to re-hydrate it as you cut pieces off.

I don't know how anybody could resist it long enough to prove this, but I imagine that like pemmican, ham would still be good 50 years later.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Lots of country ham made and consumed around here. It is typically a breakfast staple, and often put on a biscuit. I’ve eaten it all my life and love it. This past summer I heated some up on the grill and I really liked it that way. I’d bet a dollar that Carolinians eat more of it than the other regions of the country.

I would not take that bet, it's available at virtually any place that serves breakfast in NC. Almost everybody had a ham or two hanging in their basement or garage when I grew up, it is a staple, especially in the mountains.
Originally Posted by EFHutton
Check out Ricecountryhams.com , located in Tennessee, they cure the hams the old fashion way .

Ed Rice (Sr.) is the guy I was talking about who won the Tennessee State Fair ham competition on a regular basis in the 1960's. His sons took over the business when he passed on, and they would all be in their 70's or older now.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: County Ham - 01/16/22

Same here
Posted By: saddlesore Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Years ago when I lived in the eats,we called them Virginia cured .They were very salt and needed soaked before cooking.We would see them hanging from the eaves of roadside shops. Quite a few years ago, I traveled to Huntsville, AL and had some .,just like I remembered .Salty as all get out. These Smithfield hams we get are not as salty and most smoked cured hams I have bought are not either.
Posted By: lockanddam Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Nothing finer than a slice of country ham, 2 eggs over medium and a plate of grits with red eye gravy for breakfast. It also makes a fine sandwich on toast with mayo and a thin slice of tomato.
This past May, I was in Richmond VA, for my daughter's wedding. After the wedding, I spent about 3 weeks at home in the Wilmington, NC area. While I was there, I gorged myself on seafood, barbecue pork sandwiches and country ham breakfasts.
When I headed out on the drive back to ND, I had 2 gallons of freshly shucked oysters, packed in ice, in the trunk of the car. Just outside the town of Maxton, NC, I stopped at this little fruit stand, I had been doing business with for more than 20 yrs. and loaded up on boiled peanuts and country ham.
The boiled peanuts lasted me almost all the way back to Williston, ND and I divided the oysters and ham with a Sioux friend of mine who lives out on the prairie, northeast of Poplar, MT.
I'm still eating on the country ham. I save it for special occasions, when I can sit down and savor it.
Start with a Clifty Farm ham if you’ve never had country ham. They are about $2 a pound at the local grocery stores here.

They aren’t what the old folks had in their smokehouse, but for the price, they aren’t bad.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Next time you have a nice bit of ham, try my Dad's favorite sandwich: white bread, ham, and grape jelly. Salty and sweet go so well together you'll appreciate this combo a lot. Strawberry or blackberry jam work just as well.
Posted By: Clintopher Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Soak it in water for at least a day and change the water out several times prior to cooking it.

I’ve always had it baked in a roasting pan. A piece cut off while it’s still hot is absolute heaven. Cold and on a biscuit is pretty damn good too. Especially on a sweet potato biscuit.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Next time you have a nice bit of ham, try my Dad's favorite sandwich: white bread, ham, and grape jelly. Salty and sweet go so well together you'll appreciate this combo a lot. Strawberry or blackberry jam work just as well.

I've done that many times - very good.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I’ve seen them hang for several years in an attic, covered in green/yellow mold

Not a dayum thing with them.
There are a couple of varieties of bugs that will eat into a country ham around the hip joint area. Short of that, a properly cured ham will last a long time if left hanging and not cut.
Posted By: rem141r Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
its good for cooking with something else. makes great bean soup or ham and cabbage, etc. i don't go out of my way for them but i have been given them before. real salty and dense so its not to my liking just cooked like a ham steak. if you got BP problems you better double your dose.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
Skippers?

That's what I remember my grandfather worrying about when they killed hogs and hung meat. They used some pink salt and regular salt then black pepper. He would smoke some but not all of it. It ended up wrapped in cheese cloth or back then in plant bed cloth. Don't remember any of the details being very young.

Still love it but don't eat it nearly as much as we did growing up.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: County Ham - 01/16/22
I cured ours for a while. As stated, they are salty. We made our own. bacon, too. cured with salt and sugar, then cold smoked with apple wood in a setup I made from an antique refrigerator. Going to build a real good smokehouse here on the farm this year or next, and we will be back in the bacon. You can’t get good bacon at the store. Ham either.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: County Ham - 01/17/22
Country ham varies by region.
What most are talking about (Virginia hams) are cured in dry salt.
Pretty much mummified.

Our country hams l(and bacon) were cured with a salt brine in a wooden barrel.
Enough salt dissolved to cause a dime sized piece of egg to float
above the water. Can't remember how long they soaked.

Pulled out, dried off for a day, then smoked with hickory.
Hams and bacon were left hanging in the smokehouse,
you went out and hacked off what you wanted.

All butchering was done in late fall, early winter.

The cured meats would get mold by spring, and sometimes
maggots near the joint. It was just cut off, the rest was fine to eat.
Not sure how long into summer th ey would keep, it didn't matter.
This was about curing meat to have it when you wanted it, through
the winter. Come summer, there was a lot more food available.
Posted By: mikeinid Re: County Ham - 01/17/22
Cracker Barrel will sell you a small quantity of their version of country ham.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: County Ham - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by mikeinid
Cracker Barrel will sell you a small quantity of their version of country ham.

It ain’t bad.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: County Ham - 01/17/22
I love country ham. I buy one every year before Christmas and have it sliced. Country ham on a good homemade biscuit is real treat, especially with a bit of blackberry jam.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Country Ham - 01/17/22
Straight out of the bag, they're too salty for my taste. Love 'em, though. I usually soak them a bit before cooking as part of the trim process. Then slice and store. Typically pan fry for cooking.

As slum said, they are for breakfast.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Country Ham - 01/17/22
Kentucky Gun Company sells packaged country ham, it isn't cheap, but you can try a small amount before committing to a whole ham. Hardee's Restaurants used to sell country ham biscuits (and probably still do), or their Carl's Jr. stores out West.

Here's a link to Kygunco's website.

https://www.kygunco.com/category/meats-and-gourmet/baked-country-ham

My grandfather's country ham was the best I've ever eaten, maybe because Grandma fried the slices in a cast iron skillet on an old woodstove in the kitchen. I was too young to pay attention to how he cured them, sadly enough. He did all his own hog butchering.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Country Ham - 01/18/22
Italian Hillbillies like ham too.
Posted By: pullit Re: Country Ham - 01/18/22
I let a country ham hang for 2 years one time and it got way to salty and tuff to eat as it was so I ground it up in a food processor and made ham salad out of it. That turned out very well.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Country Ham - 01/18/22
I would smoke my hams with cat piss flavored sagebrush. Cause I’m from Out West and I think I’m a know-it-all bad ass that lives in a tin shed and pulls my internet off of the ionosphere.

How do some of you foucks say that with a straight face??? 😃🤣

And I don’t get my sagebrush smoking shake from no Walmarts either..I bag it myself. Herrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Country Ham - 01/18/22
😂😂😂!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Country Ham - 01/18/22
I would smoke my hams with cat piss flavored sagebrush. Cause I’m from Out West and I think I’m a know-it-all bad ass that lives in a tin shed and pulls my internet off of the ionosphere.

How do some of you foucks say that with a straight face??? 😃🤣

And I don’t get my sagebrush smoking shake from no Walmarts either..I bag it myself. Herrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

That's BS.

There's no such thing as cat piss flavored sagebrush. The closest thing would be dog sh*t flavored sage.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: County Ham - 01/18/22

Can you get to a Carl's Jr.? Drive thru the window and order a country ham biscuit. That'll give you an idea whether you like it or not without dropping a wad of money.
Posted By: slumlord Re: County Ham - 01/18/22
Just buy the damn ham

Biggin will eat it, or find a way regardless

🤣🤣
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: County Ham - 01/18/22
Benton Hams is just up the road from where my dad grew up. It is the real deal, but not cheap. They will gladly give you a tour of the place too. Nice folks.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Jim,

When Eileen and I made a 2-month trip around the U.S. in 1985, when we had more time than money (the vehicle was a 1965 Dodge pickup with a rebuilt 318 V8, with a slide-in camper and a canoe on top of the camper), one of the things we wanted to try was Southern "country ham." We bought some and fried slices. As others have reported, it was VERY salty, to the point of being inedible.

Turned out the basic technique for cooking it was to boil it in water to "freshen" it, removing a lot of the salt, before doing anything else. Dunno if that's still true, but the folks we visited then all suggested that technique. We only drove about 150 miles day during our trip across the Southeast, so it appears to have been common.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
We put country ham in our pintos when cooking. No need to add salt. If we get a whole ham it’s soaked several times with the water being changed out. A salt cured country ham is so much different than a sugar cured ham. We prefer the salt cured, but I’ll eat both.

One ham I love at Christmas is a Cumberland Gap whole ham. Not a sugar ham and not a salty one either.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Can you get to a Carl's Jr.? Drive thru the window and order a country ham biscuit. That'll give you an idea whether you like it or not without dropping a wad of money.

Uhh...not that I am aware of. Carl's Jr?
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by MarkWV
We put country ham in our pintos when cooking. No need to add salt. If we get a whole ham it’s soaked several times with the water being changed out. A salt cured country ham is so much different than a sugar cured ham. We prefer the salt cured, but I’ll eat both.

One ham I love at Christmas is a Cumberland Gap whole ham. Not a sugar ham and not a salty one either.

We often do the same thing when making pintos. They make a great combination. I still say that country ham is best served on a biscuit.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jim,

When Eileen and I made a 2-month trip around the U.S. in 1985, when we had more time than money (the vehicle was a 1965 Dodge pickup with a rebuilt 318 V8, with a slide-in camper and a canoe on top of the camper), one of the things we wanted to try was Southern "country ham." We bought some and fried slices. As others have reported, it was VERY salty, to the point of being inedible.

Turned out the basic technique for cooking it was to boil it in water to "freshen" it, removing a lot of the salt, before doing anything else. Dunno if that's still true, but the folks we visited then all suggested that technique. We only drove about 150 miles day during our trip across the Southeast, so it appears to have been common.

Sounds right.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Salt curing in a cooler for preservation....That's how country folks had to do it.
Posted By: skeen Re: County Ham - 01/19/22

Mmmmmm Carl's Jr.

Haha! Yeah...we dont have anything like that here.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: County Ham - 01/19/22

You really should come visit the United States some time. It's really nice here.
Originally Posted by auk1124

You really should come visit the United States some time. It's really nice here.

They do have a "Western Bacon Cheeseburger" on their menu. It's pretty damn good.

Originally Posted by auk1124

Hahaha!

The mail gets here three days a week.

We thought we were pretty lucky to have it.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: County Ham - 01/19/22

Hardee's?

LOL! You ever been to town, Jim?

Hardee's?

I just looked it up.

There is one 150 miles away!

Are they pretty good?
Posted By: Raeford Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Hell yeah they're good, load up the Suburban and get going!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: County Ham - 01/19/22

Hardee's?

I just looked it up.

Are they pretty good?

Their breakfast is actually pretty good, for fast food. Try a ham biscuit if you are ever around one.

Hardee's?

I just looked it up.

Are they pretty good?

Not that good. Just greasy fast food. They do have a country ham biscuit though. If you're ever close, it would be worth a try.
Even up here they would have the hammy biskit?

I could mail you a few.
Originally Posted by Raeford

I could mail you a few.

I was just thinking about the possibility of mailing him a shrink wrapped package of sliced ham.

I could mail you a few.

I was just thinking about the possibility of mailing him a shrink wrapped package of sliced ham.

A very generous member here is sending me some to try.
Send him a big ol' center slice and red-eye gravy instruction. He'll never be the same.
Reckon he has access to grits?
Send him a big ol' center slice and red-eye gravy instruction. He'll never be the same.
Reckon he has access to grits?

He’s probably got a bag of corn and a wood chipper.
I haven't tried making them yet...all I could find was instant grits.

Acceptable?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: County Ham - 01/19/22

Acceptable?
Yep.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: County Ham - 01/19/22

Acceptable?
Yep.

Oh, Fug!

This ain't a de-rail.
It's a whole new train!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Acceptable?
Yep.

Oh, Fug!

This ain't a de-rail.
It's a whole new train!

Might as well add beans and Miracle Whip!😁

Acceptable?

Sure. Add salt and butter. I make them with milk instead of water.

Acceptable?

Yessir
How about redeye gravy?

Acceptable?

Yessir
How about redeye gravy?

Unknown in these parts.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
I assume that there are as many recipes for red-eye gravy, each the "right" one, as there are people who make it.?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I assume that there are as many recipes for red-eye gravy, each the "right" one, as there are people who make it.?
It's too simple to have too many recipes. It's made by deglazing the frying pan with coffee.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22

Acceptable?

Yessir
How about redeye gravy?

Unknown in these parts.

I'm so very sorry....
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I'm honestly not a big fan of any I have had. I would much rather just have ham and biscuits and eggs. Maybe a sliced tomato.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
We're gonna make a redneck out of you yet. How do you feel about sausage gravy and cathead biscuits?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
Dont know what a cat head biscuit is....but biscuits and gravy is a nice treat.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
They are biscuits not made with a biscuit cutter so all odd shaped.

More like hand rolled and plopped in/on a pan so irregular shaped
Posted By: pullit Re: Country Ham - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
They are biscuits not made with a biscuit cutter so all odd shaped.

More like hand rolled and plopped in/on a pan so irregular shaped

We always called them cat head biscuits, Don't know why but that is what everyone in my neck of the woods called them
Posted By: mikeinid Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Carl's Jr. doesn't serve ham biscuits or fried chicken as the Hardees I've been to in Virginia do. Out here the regional side of their menu is Tex Mex.

Had to go to Waffle House for lunch!
As the late great Jerry Clower would say, “ y’all done flung a cravin’ on me!”

It was delicious!
Posted By: gunzo Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
I saw this ^, & started going oh, oh, oh while grabbing my phone. Wife still at the grocery!

A pack is incoming.
laugh

I hope your blood pressure is under control!!

I'm over a half century old, never added even a tea spoon of salt to my food in my entire life, but love Country Ham...
Posted By: gunzo Re: County Ham - 01/19/22
Big 'ol one eyed, split ear Tom cat out by the barn. Look the head on him. About 4 or 5" in diameter. Cat Head.

Have had to splain that to a few waitresses so they could explain to me how big their biscuits are before I order.

I can eat a half slice of ham, 3 eggs, & 2 biscuits w/gravy unless they's cat heads & then I only order one.
Originally Posted by mikeinid
Carl's Jr. doesn't serve ham biscuits or fried chicken as the Hardees I've been to in Virginia do. Out here the regional side of their menu is Tex Mex.

Carl's Jr's Tex Mex commercials were the best... whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire