Home
Posted By: Nestucca 1883 - 01/17/22
Well what’s your thoughts on it so far.
To me it’s a little slow moving but maybe they have to set the stage before SHTF.
I’ve watched worse stuff.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
It is slow! Not planning on watching it again. Hell on wheels is much better.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Screw Tim….and Paddler can get the horse he rode in on!!
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I’m diggin it. A lot.
Posted By: pullit Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Not watching it
Posted By: tburkepa Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I watched one episode and that was it. I loved the way that they went and got a herd of "wild" cattle and the next day they were tame enough to put in the middle of the wagon train to head west with no fear of trampling the kids or people walking alongside the wagons.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Not gonna pay or stream it.

I'd probably watch it if it were on regular channels. Not that I'm a Tim McSlaw fan, but it probably still beats the woke shows on TV otherwise.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by Esox357

I’m going to have to look that one up
Posted By: rainshot Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Dang I missed it again. Watched a Joel McCray movie. "The Tall Stranger" i think.
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Originally Posted by Esox357

I’m going to have to look that one up

Hell on Wheels was badass for sure.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Compared to Sheridan’s past work, I’m not real impressed.
It’s kind’ve like he’s tried to take the same characters from Yellowstone and put them in an old west setting. Same type personalities if you will.
Hell on Wheels much better IMO.
Posted By: MMM Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I saw the first two episodes for free. I liked it. Not gonna pay any extra for it though. I will wait till the whole first season is out and watch it on a free trial or wait for another opportunity.
Posted By: keith Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I love the first 3 hr free, will wait till the rest is free.

Hell on Wheels is a hard act to follow!
I despise McGraw and his wife, but I have to say he’s playing this part really damn well. Old lady used to be hot, wtf happened to her face? Plastic surgery I’d imagine.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I'm watching it and enjoying it, yes the episodes are on the slow side yet beats watching a non western.

Tim McGraw is playing his role very well.....reminds me Woodrow F. Call....
Posted By: Nestucca Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Doc I have to agree as much as it pains me to say it.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I'm watching it and enjoying it, yes the episodes are on the slow side yet beats watching a non western.

I was not expecting it, but he is doing very well. I picked up Paramount for $.99 a month for 3 months.

What's not to like, western, guns, horses, shootouts and no commercials or trannies. I could also spend all day looking at the woman playing his daughter.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

I agree.

Tommy Lee Jones is a piece of [bleep] too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Maybe they will come out with an 1882 or maybe an 1978 or something next.

Really cash in by making a shìtload of crappy sequels and prequels.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Hell on Wheels? The one that was one step up from a FanFilm and had the giant lawn ornament trying to pass as a steam locomotive?
1883, it's a decent western, and decent is enough.
Posted By: Dubiedog Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
It's way too slow. Faith is too damned old to be having a 5 year old child. Sam Elliot is too far past his prime to be playing a badass. Tim used a 1885 Highwall rifle to shoot a deer with his son. I don't think he's playing the role all that well. His attitude and facial expression doesn't change, not much versatility on display. The cast seems forced to me. It's fantasy drama trying to give the illusion of real-life crisis. Don't even get me started on the 15-year-old girl.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I despise McGraw and his wife, but I have to say he’s playing this part really damn well. Old lady used to be hot, wtf happened to her face? Plastic surgery I’d imagine.

She’s like almost all of those women that get famous. They are beautiful to begin with. Then they start trying to get more beautiful and it’s all down hill from there.
Posted By: KFWA Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I mentioned this on another thread but that scene with Billy Bob Thorton was pretty badass

"there is only one killer in this town and that's me"

here is what I know - if I lived back then, I'd be the dumb sonofabitch that dies from a snakebite taking a schit

It is moving pretty slow with sporadic gunfights - but I assume they gotta stretch out a trip from Texas to Oregon for an entire season.

Also, I'm glad that woman shot herself in the head. Damn she was annoying. - sorry if that's a spoiler for someone just started watching
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Somebody post up a screenshot of Faith Hill-pioneer-woman nekkid in the creek, not watching it otherwise.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by KFWA
I mentioned this on another thread but that scene with Billy Bob Thorton was pretty badass

"there is only one killer in this town and that's me"

here is what I know - if I lived back then, I'd be the dumb sonofabitch that dies from a snakebite taking a schit

It is moving pretty slow with sporadic gunfights - but I assume they gotta stretch out a trip from Texas to Oregon for an entire season.

Also, I'm glad that woman shot herself in the head. Damn she was annoying. - sorry if that's a spoiler for someone just started watching

That woman that offed herself had a daughter and she was a chip off the old block. I would have traded them for a lb of dry beans to the first meskins or indians I ran into.
Posted By: smokepole Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by Dubiedog
. Don't even get me started on the 15-year-old girl.

Yeah, I don't like the fact that they narrate through her, I'm not interested in her perspective.

Plus, an obvious bottle-blond going west in a wagon train is not what you'd call historically accurate.
the show doesn't need narration - its just filler.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22

Wife calls it Little House on the Prairie with sex and violence. I think she watches it just to criticize it.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Wife calls it Little House House on the Prairie with sex and violence. I think she watches it just to criticize it.

Just like the wives on here lol
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22

Wife calls it Little House on the Prairie with sex and violence. I think she watches it just to criticize it.

Ha!
Posted By: hanco Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Me and wifey like it, anything with Sam is good!
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
The horse flesh is first rate, the death rate seems pretty realistic and the guns have to be reloaded. Ots worth an hour a week to watch.

Wife calls it Little House House on the Prairie with sex and violence. I think she watches it just to criticize it.

Everybody's a critic. But it's still better than 99% of the crap on TV.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by smokepole

Everybody's a critic. But it's still better than 99% of the crap on TV.

This
Posted By: DocFoster Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by Dubiedog
It's way too slow. Faith is too damned old to be having a 5 year old child. Sam Elliot is too far past his prime to be playing a badass. Tim used a 1885 Highwall rifle to shoot a deer with his son. I don't think he's playing the role all that well. His attitude and facial expression doesn't change, not much versatility on display. The cast seems forced to me. It's fantasy drama trying to give the illusion of real-life crisis. Don't even get me started on the 15-year-old girl.

Actually that rifle is period correct. John Browning developed his highwall in 1878 and patented it in October 1879 and went into production. John and his brothers manufactured around 600 highwalls before selling the rights to General Manager of Winchester T.G. Bennett in 1883 for $8000,00.

[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
Posted By: dubePA Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Tommy Lee Jones was good as Capt. Call in Lonesome Dove, one of my favorite western series. I also read the book. Then the sumbitch did radio ads and robo calls here in PA, urging us to vote for his buddy AlWhore. Claimed AlWhore was not going to take our guns. Enough of that.

Liked most everything Sam Elliot has done in westerns. Then he did TV ad narrations for Joe Biteme's campaign.

Liked some of McGraw's early tunes, but as he's turned out to be a rabid Libturd, got no use for him either.
Posted By: Pretorian814 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I quit Sam Elliott when he went ridin' with Biden. Fake Portland cowboy.
The Yellowstone dude Forrie J Smith is better.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I'm streaming it. Decent entertainment.
Originally Posted by dubePA
Tommy Lee Jones was good as Capt. Call in Lonesome Dove, one of my favorite western series. I also read the book. Then the sumbitch did radio ads and robo calls here in PA, urging us to vote for his buddy AlWhore. Claimed AlWhore was not going to take our guns. Enough of that.

well they were roommates in college so I'm not surprised to read that
Posted By: Mike78 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
At @23 minute mark of the 1st episode, I think the color of the shoe lace wasn't correct for the time period.
Posted By: test1328 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22

Liked most everything Sam Elliot has done in westerns. Then he did TV ad narrations for Joe Biteme's campaign.

Liked some of McGraw's early tunes, but as he's turned out to be a rabid Libturd, got no use for him either.

This about sums up my opinions! +1 dubePA
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
I am watching it and enjoying it because it is a western. My minor pet peeves are that the men seem to have been armed at a Cowboy Action Shooting club meeting, with a uniform armament of two revolvers including a crossdraw, the wagons only have two horses each instead of 6 oxen, the herd of "wild" cattle included a bunch of Herefords, and a bunch of people drowned in a river that was only waist deep. But, who cares? It's a western, which is a rare commodity these days.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
My wife and I were trying to find it last night. And from what I’m gathering you have to pay for it now?
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
It's only on Paramount Plus, which is a subscription streaming service. But you can do a free or low cost trial.
Posted By: joken2 Re: 1883 - 01/17/22

Originally Posted by Whelenman
My wife and I were trying to find it last night. And from what I’m gathering you have to pay for it now?

So are Taylor Sheridan's other two TV series, "Mayor of Kingstown", as will his Yellowstone 'spinoff' series, "6666" be.
The colorful scarves the gypsy chick had looked screen printed. Definitely not authentic.

And the piano the chick played, pffft. Like that thing would still be in tune.

Totally ridiculous. I can’t believe anyone watches it.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Typical Hollywood. out of touch with reality but somewhat entertaining.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1883 - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I am watching it and enjoying it because it is a western. My minor pet peeves are that the men seem to have been armed at a Cowboy Action Shooting club meeting, with a uniform armament of two revolvers including a crossdraw, the wagons only have two horses each instead of 6 oxen, the herd of "wild" cattle included a bunch of Herefords, and a bunch of people drowned in a river that was only waist deep. But, who cares? It's a western, which is a rare commodity these days.

Yep. I laughed when I saw the Herefords in that herd of Longhorns.
And the Brazos where they crossed isn’t too far down the road from our Ranch. You’d be damn lucky to find a 2 foot deep hole anywhere along that section of it. Unless they had 24” s of rain in the last 48 hours.
We still had the wagon my Great Great Great Grandfather came to TX in when I was a kid. Used to play in it.
I’ve still got the harnesses and reins for it in the barn. It was set up for 4 horses. But Great GrandDad said they only used 2 horses with it quite a bit when he was a kid. Depending on what they were hauling. And he said they mostly used mules to pull it. The same ones he used to plow with.
Posted By: tzone Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
It sucks. And F Tim McGraw.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
I haven’t seen it at all but I’ll bet the bird calls are from species not found there and even if they are will be out of season.

Just my $0.02
Posted By: smokepole Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
I don't worry about the birdcalls as much as the inaccurate depiction of African Americans. In episode #2 they were shown drinking Colt 45 Malt Liquor out of a can.
Posted By: hosfly Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
The 3rd horse shoe nail on the left hind hoof on the horse Sam Elliot rides somtimes isnt crimped like they used to do back then,, also those hay burners arent correct either,, mostly rode morgans at that time,, and I seen sombodies hair parted on the wrong side,,, Its a show!!!!
Posted By: RUM7 Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
I don't watch those show. I tend to be anti subscription.

But, do any of you watch anything without batching about a liberal actor, or period pieces 5 years off????

Seriously don't think I need to check the political affiliation of every actor in everything I watch.

They are just our era's court jesters. Nothing more, nothing less. Who gives a scheit about their beliefs. Either enjoy the show, or don't watch.
+1
Posted By: callnum Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
You all realize the Jetson’s wasn’t real and Matt Dillon was not a real sheriff right?
I don't worry about the birdcalls as much as the inaccurate depiction of African Americans. In episode #2 they were shown drinking Colt 45 Malt Liquor out of a can.
But was their basketball time period correct?
Lets pick apart a john Wayne movie next,,,
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

Word.

Check this out...... hermit thrushes, HERMIT THRUSHES.... in Compton..... crazy

Posted By: dubePA Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
Hell yeah Matt Dillon wasn't a sheriff. He was a (fictional) Dodge City, Kansas town marshal. smile

And yeah I'll pizz'n moan about actors who are on record as opposing the private ownership of firearms, yet have made much of their money using firearms in TV shows and movies.
Posted By: callnum Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
Hell yeah Matt Dillon wasn't a sheriff. He was a (fictional) Dodge City, Kansas town marshal. smile

And yeah I'll pizz'n moan about actors who are on record as opposing the private ownership of firearms, yet have made much of their money using firearms in TV shows and movies.

Ok boomer
Posted By: PWN Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

That made me laugh.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

I don't know a thing about him and very little about his wife, what is the rap, are they democratic supporters?
I've liked the series thus far.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
It's only on Paramount Plus, which is a subscription streaming service. But you can do a free or low cost trial.

I know stealin isn't right, but when it's stealin from Hollywood I've justified it in my head..firestick.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
We are enjoying the series. I pay for the subscription to Paramount plus.I don't mind paying because I like being ripped off.
It's a good show for what it is.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
Hell yeah Matt Dillon wasn't a sheriff. He was a (fictional) Dodge City, Kansas town marshal. smile ...

Slight correction. In Gunsmoke, Matt Dllion was a U.S. Marshal. Not a town Marshal.

FWIW.

L.W.
Posted By: kingston Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

TFF
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by Barkoff

I don't know a thing about him and very little about his wife, what is the rap, are they democratic supporters?

Anti-gun, pro-Obama and pro-Biden liberals.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

Yep. And Faith Hill snorted too much Coke in her younger days.

Despite being gun hating liberals, they’ve done a much better job of acting than I thought they would.
In the few movies McGraw has been in, he’s always played the part of an asswhole. Seems to be pretty good at it.

I like the role the Black Guy plays as an Ex Buffalo Soldier. Seems to be a good actor. Never seen him in anything else.
Posted By: Masshunter Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
Only watch it when its free, I've seen worse inaccurate stuff, but it beats a lot of the crap out there. I laughed when the chick got snake bit in the butt. Anyone remember the Woody Allen movie where she got bit in the boob and everyone ran to suck out the poison ? I think it was called "Bananas."
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Despite being gun hating liberals, they’ve done a much better job of acting than I thought they would.
In the few movies McGraw has been in, he’s always played the part of an asswhole. Seems to be pretty good at it.

I like the role the Black Guy plays as an Ex Buffalo Soldier. Seems to be a good actor. Never seen him in anything else.

Same here. He’s like Deets. But better.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

Same here. He’s like Deets. But better.

Yep. A much more harder version of Deets.
Read a news story about that actor going to the Cemetery in Weatherford, TX where Oliver Loving and his black cowboy are buried. That’s the guy Larry McMurtry based Deets character off of when he wrote Lonesome Dove.
His name was Bose Ikard

https://texoso66.com/2016/11/24/bose-ikard/
Posted By: muleshoe Re: 1883 - 01/18/22
I never thought Sam Elliot to be much of an actor, but he can grow an impressive ‘stash. I think he’s about as good in this flick as any other, mediocre at best.

Not being a new aged country music fan I wasn’t aware which part Tum McGraw played. After episode II I asked my wife about him being in the show at all and she stared at me for about 15 seconds, then called me a dumbass, and informed me he played the main character. I think he plays the part okay, again, mediocre at best.

I then figured out that the gal who plays McGraw’s wife actually is McGraw’s wife. She’s doing a better job than Tum or Sam I think but nothing to write home about.

The blonde daughter is powerful easy on the eyes and she’s gonna have to do something really bad to make me not like her. I’m sure given time she’ll get that done. I kinda like the narration.

The black dude is probably the best actor on the show. I’m hoping they don’t kill him off.

They should keep that Baldwin fella off the set.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 1883 - 01/18/22

I know stealin isn't right, but when it's stealin from Hollywood I've justified it in my head..firestick.

Talk to me about firestick stealin'
Posted By: minengr Re: 1883 - 01/27/22
It isn't great, but it isn't bad. Better than 95%+ of what is otherwise offered.
If my math is correct the girl is actually 17, but I guess no one listens to her narrative but me. Unless I misheard when she said she was born a year after Appomattox and Appomattox was 18 years ago hence the 1883 (1865+18).
Yes a few errors, but nothing horrible. The 1885 could easily be replaced with a Sharps and remain period correct.
To each his own.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
If it was any slower, it would be going backwards. They couldn’t possibly make it to Oregon in 5 years at the rate they’re trying to leave Texas.

If it wasn’t for saddles and guns, the show wouldn’t be worth watching for 5 minutes. The only thing worse would be to have a 6.5 Creedmoor in the show somewhere.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by HitnRun
If it was any slower, it would be going backwards. They couldn’t possibly make it to Oregon in 5 years at the rate they’re trying to leave Texas.

If it wasn’t for saddles and guns, the show wouldn’t be worth watching for 5 minutes. The only thing worse would be to have a 6.5 Creedmoor in the show somewhere.

TX is 660 miles wide. And 790 miles top to bottom.

If they made 20 miles a day, which would be phenomenal time in a covered wagon pulled by two horses, that would take 33 days to cross TX. Or 39.5 days to go from south to north.
I’m guessing a trip to Oregon took at least 6 months or so.

GrandDad said he made a 120 mile trip with his Dad in our old covered wagon when he was 6 years old. Said it took them over a week. He said he walked all the way while his little sister who was 4, had to ride in the wagon.
Posted By: hanco Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
It’s ok, kinda slow at times!

If they made 20 miles a day, which would be phenomenal time in a covered wagon pulled by two horses, that would take 33 days to cross TX. Or 39.5 days to go from south to north.

GrandDad said he made a 120 mile trip with his Dad in our old covered wagon when he was 6 years old. Said it took them over a week. He said he walked all the way while his little sister who was 4, had to ride in the wagon.

Go ahead and make excuses, Lewis and Clark covered more than Texas in half the time. Not only that, Lewis and Clark avoided Texas entirely.

Go ahead and make excuses, Lewis and Clark covered more than Texas in half the time. Not only that, Lewis and Clark avoided Texas entirely.

Wasn’t a Fuqking excuse. And Lewis and Clark weren’t sent to Explore TX.
ravel by covered wagon over land was slow. Lewis & Clark covered a lot of miles in boats and on foot. Not encumbered by covered wagons carrying tenderfoot immigrants.

Wasn’t a Fuqking excuse. Travel by covered wagon over land was slow. Lewis & Clark covered a lot of miles in boats and on foot. Not encumbered by covered wagons carrying tenderfoot immigrants.

OK, I get it, you like it even though it is slow and poorly written. The story is more important to you than how fast they can get their sorry asses out of Texas.

You might want to review some of the episodes, when they are not moving at all and camping for several days at the same site. I don’t care how big Texas is, they will never make it to Oregon, camping out for days at a time.

Captain Yutz, played by Sam Elliott, never looks in their wagons before they leave to see some migrant has a piano stashed in his wagon? For $hit’s sake, he’s 80 years old and leading these German migrants that ended up in Texas that want to go to Oregon. Who the hell goes to Texas on their way to Oregon?

This script had to be written by a bunch of lab monkeys that got loose with a computer keyboard.

Wasn’t a Fuqking excuse. Travel by covered wagon over land was slow. Lewis & Clark covered a lot of miles in boats and on foot. Not encumbered by covered wagons carrying tenderfoot immigrants.

OK, I get it, you like it even though it is slow and poorly written. The story is more important to you than how fast they can get their sorry asses out of Texas.

You might want to review some of the episodes, when they are not moving at all and camping for several days at the same site. I don’t care how big Texas is, they will never make it to Oregon, camping out for days at a time.

Captain Yutz, played by Sam Elliott, never looks in their wagons before they leave to see some migrant has a piano stashed in his wagon? For $hit’s sake, he’s 80 years old and leading these German migrants that ended up in Texas that want to go to Oregon. Who the hell goes to Texas on their way to Oregon?

This script had to be written by a bunch of lab monkeys that got loose with a computer keyboard.

So why are you watching it ??? Sounds like you need to get a life, if a TV show your obviously watching pisses you off that much. Or maybe watch The View.

So why are you watching it ??? Sounds like you need to get a life, if a TV show your obviously watching pisses you off that much. Or maybe watch The View.

You can’t refute a thing I said, and you attack me because the show makes no sense. Did you train the monkeys that wrote it?

You can’t refute a thing I said, and you attack me because the show makes no sense. Did you train the monkeys that wrote it?

Didn't bother to refute anything you said. Merely stated how many miles a covered wagon made in a day. And how far and how long it would take to travel through TX. Can you refute that ? Tell us how many miles you’ve covered in a day while horseback? In a wagon ? You some kind of Eggspurt ?

Meanwhile, All you did was bitch about a show you don’t like and about a State you don’t like. Butt hurt much ???
Tell us what proud State you reside in ?
Posted By: Morewood Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Watched episode 3 last night. Wife asked why Mr. bad-ass Tim McGraw allows his 15 year old daughter to parade around camp stiff-nippled from swimming in the creek in her underwear in front of all kinds of unsavory men. WTF.

Always liked Sam Elliot but his days of portraying a badass are over. He's a querulous old man now, like his buddy Biden.

Didn't bother to refute anything you said. Merely stated how many miles a covered wagon made in a day. And how far and how long it would take to travel through TX. Can you refute that ? Tell us how many miles you’ve covered in a day while horseback? In a wagon ? You some kind of Eggspurt ?

Meanwhile, All you did was bitch about a show you don’t like and about a State you don’t like. Butt hurt much ???
Tell us what proud State you reside in ?

You can’t out lie a confused Texan. So your grandad was in a wagon when he was 6 years old? Do you realize 1922 is 100 years ago? 1922 was still a few decades past covered wagons. Where I come from has no bearing on your perception of reality which is so distorted, you follow the nonsense of a slow, poorly cast, written and acted show.

Admit it, you like it because it’s supposed to be Texas and don’t like someone that doesn’t accept poor writing, casting and acting.

A piano in a wagon all the way from their starting point to the Brazos? Captain Elliott doesn’t know that? Texas aside, how do you accept that disconnect. How could a trail boss be 80 years old?

I like Texas, just not stupid stories about getting out of Texas.
So you can’t refute what I say, so I’m a Liar now ???

That was 1915 when GrandDad made the wagon trip with his dad. And yes, some poor old TX Ranchers and Dirtfarmers still didn’t own an automobile or a tractor either back then. It was right before the Great Depression and Dust Bowl Days.
We weren’t all rich oilmen like the movies portrayed. I still own both of my Great Grandfathers one row mule drawn plows, they used back then, too. And the harnesses, reins, and bridles for that wagon.

And I never said it was a great show either, dumbass, or well written either. But it’s better than most of the schitt that passes for a TV show nowadays.
And it happens to be filmed less than 30 miles from here at the Ranch.
On a Ranch my Great Great Grandfather & Great Grandfather actually worked for while trying to pay for their own Ranches. The one I reside on now. So while I mostly enjoy the scenery, I don’t really give a flying Fuqk what you think of it.
Like I said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Nobody gives a schitt what you like or don’t like. Don’t come on here and whine about something you don’t like and cry about it, either.
If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.
Perhaps Democrat Underground would be a better fit for ya. 😜

That was 1915 when GrandDad made the wagon trip with his dad. And yes, some poor old TX Ranchers and Dirtfarmers still didn’t own an automobile or a tractor either back then. It was right before the Great Depression and Dust Bowl Days.
We weren’t all rich oilmen like the movies portrayed. I still own both of my Great Grandfathers one row mule drawn plows, they used back then, too. And the harnesses, reins, and bridles for that wagon.

And I never said it was a great show either, dumbass, or well written either. But it’s better than most of the schitt that passes for a TV show nowadays.
On a Ranch my Great Great Grandfather & Great Grandfather actually worked for while trying to pay for their own Ranches. The one I reside on now. So while I mostly enjoy the scenery, I don’t really give a flying Fuqk what you think of it.
Like I said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Nobody gives a schitt what you like or don’t like. Don’t come on here and whine about something you don’t like and cry about it, either.

The depression was in the 1930’s, but that doesn’t matter either when you live in Texas and they film a tv show in your neighborhood. You really are something. Still dodging the lack of continuity of the story.

1883 is more like a train wreck that you drive by but still have to look.

The depression was in the 1930’s, but that doesn’t matter either when you live in Texas and they film a tv show in your neighborhood. You really are something. Still dodging the lack of continuity of the story.

1883 is more like a train wreck that you drive by but still have to look.

I’m not dodging anything you obtuse little prick. Clearly reading comprehension is not your forte. And unlike you, I don’t live in a “neighborhood”. But you obviously believe your an Eggspurt on TX and TV drama.
Most likely a Biden supporter would be my guess. And a sore loser to boot. Now run along and go Fuqk yourself.
Posted By: Pretorian814 Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Morewood

Always liked Sam Elliot but his days of portraying a badass are over. He's a querulous old man now, like his buddy Biden.

He's the sole reason I won't watch it. Cut TWO commercials in support of Biden and one of those being from the Lincoln Project, I am done with your sorry imitation cowboy azz.
Posted By: poboy Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Hitrun , stop watching the t.v. show you hate so much.
Change the channel, historically correct doc.s are out there.
What channel do you watch "1886" on? What night?
Inquiring minds.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
I watched the bits and pieces I could find on Youtube.

I’m wondering how often guys on horseback actually charged each other with handguns blazing. OK, the Civil War, but those were military actions.

Texas Ranger Captain RIP Ford, who would know, opined that a guy on horseback with a revolver was at best evenly matched against a mounted Comanche with a bow. Surely the same thing applies to two guys with revolvers.

“Even” doesn’t sound like very good odds if one is going to repeat the practice. If ya don’t get shot there’s still the prospect of have your horse shot, which could likewise prove fatal.

This might be why Captain Ford did almost all of his plains fighting with rifles, you got within range, dismounted and used a rifle. It’s been a while since I read it but IIRC even Walter Prescott Web in his classic 1935 work “The Texas Rangers: A Century of Frontier Defense” mentions only one running fight on the plains, and that was settled by a Ranger who dismounted and used his Winchester.
Posted By: viking Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Everyone has to be a critic. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. Big fugging deal if they used an 1894 in 1888.

For me and a lot of folks it’s about the only new show worth watching these days.

I look at it this way. Just imagine the hardships and struggles those early settlers endured. How bad things were for them to want to make a journey like that.

And now we sit in our chairs, on a thousand dollar electronic device and Bitch and complain about trivial stuff.

I’m not dodging anything you obtuse little prick. Clearly reading comprehension is not your forte. And unlike you, I don’t live in a “neighborhood”. But you obviously believe your an Eggspurt on TX and TV drama.
Most likely a Biden supporter would be my guess. And a sore loser to boot. Now run along and go Fuqk yourself.

You can tell when you lost the argument by resorting to vulgarity and unrelated innuendo. You really need to give up.

I have 1 weakness that you can’t tolerate, I have watched a show that is shallow and inaccurate. You, however, watched the same show and like it. That’s not the problem, the problem is there are too many aspects of the show that just don’t make it a well thought out story.

Sam Elliott is too old, he doesn’t know how poorly outfitted his subjects are, before they even leave. When they get on their way , he doesn’t know enough about people or their abilities or preparation and they unload pianos and cook stoves from the wagons to cross a river he knew they would have to cross and he didn’t tell them before they left about how much they could haul in their wagons.

Shooting revolvers at bandits for several miles while riding a running horse and never running out of ammunition, standing by while the cutesy girl “cowboy” shoots the last bandit, camping days and not moving…

The holes in this film are legion, and yet you resort to name calling and poor skills in debate. You may want to call a friend to help you out, you aren’t doing too good as you still haven’t addressed the poor quality of the film’s writing or acting. Keep blaming me, but I didn’t put this attempt to make a historic depiction on television, I only watched it, hoping it would have been a better portrayal of the migration west in 1883.
So what’s your favorite movie, mini series?
Posted By: smokepole Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
As a wise man once said: "Jeebus."

You can tell when you lost the argument by resorting to vulgarity and unrelated innuendo.

Why yes yes you can.

Exhibit A.
“You can’t out lie a confused Texan”

As you can plainly see, by your own words, dumbass, you started the “unrelated innuendo” and condescending Bullschitt
Pot meet Kettle Cock sucker.

And I finished it. Now Fuqk The Fuqk Off you whiny little C U N T
Yep, another one to the ignore closest.
Watched episode 3 last night. Wife asked why Mr. bad-ass Tim McGraw allows his 15 year old daughter to parade around camp stiff-nippled from swimming in the creek in her underwear in front of all kinds of unsavory men. WTF.

This isn’t my assessment, but is accurate.

I never said I hated it, but it sure isn’t a good depiction of western migration.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Some of you all must have a lot of spare time on your hands…..
Posted By: slumlord Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

Yes
Yes they do

1300 channels of TV AND time to do the Siskel and Eggbert reviews, plus bash each over the dome.

😃
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I watched the bits and pieces I could find on Youtube.

I’m wondering how often guys on horseback actually charged each other with handguns blazing. OK, the Civil War, but those were military actions.

Texas Ranger Captain RIP Ford, who would know, opined that a guy on horseback with a revolver was at best evenly matched against a mounted Comanche with a bow. Surely the same thing applies to two guys with revolvers.

“Even” doesn’t sound like very good odds if one is going to repeat the practice. If ya don’t get shot there’s still the prospect of have your horse shot, which could likewise prove fatal.

This might be why Captain Ford did almost all of his plains fighting with rifles, you got within range, dismounted and used a rifle. It’s been a while since I read it but IIRC even Walter Prescott Web in his classic 1935 work “The Texas Rangers: A Century of Frontier Defense” mentions only one running fight on the plains, and that was settled by a Ranger who dismounted and used his Winchester.

Agreed Mike. Nearly all the Ranger accounts I’ve read said they dismounted and used their rifles in most actions against the Comanche.
The only one I recall that was supposedly settled with a pistol, was when Rip Ford was stranded on Enchanted Rock and outnumbered.
He was said to have been the first to use a Colt Patterson Revolver to sort it out.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yes
Yes they do

1300 channels of TV AND time to do the Siskel and Eggbert reviews, plus bash each over the dome.

😃

Stick to Matlock and Cannon, Mr. 😜
Originally Posted by poboy
Inquiring minds.

Mike, hope you are well, Sir.
I believe it’s on Paramount + or maybe Peakock + that I watch it on. Can’t remember which of the two, but it’s one of those for sure.

As for Tiny Dick Hit&Run, I’m guessing by his posts, and the fact that he’s afraid to mention what State he resides in, he’s just another Sock Puppet Trying To stir schitt up.
Probably has no friends or a real life, so he’s trying to impress by being a cutesy condescending little bitch.
Inquiring minds.

I believe it’s on Paramount + or maybe Peakock + that I watch it on. Can’t remember which of the two, but it’s one of those for sure.

As for Tiny Dick Hit&Run, I’m guessing by his posts, and the fact that he’s afraid to mention what State he resides in, he’s just another Sock Puppet Trying To stir schitt up.
Probably has no friends or a real life, so he’s trying to impress by being a cutesy condescending little bitch.

After you post your personals on here, I will do the same. You remain sophomoric and unable to develop any discourse, as you still haven't addressed any of the problems with the show, just a meager attempt at attacking me.

My dad could beat up your dad!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 1883 - 01/28/22

Amazon offered me Paramount + for $0.99 a month.......so we watch it

New episodes Sunday I'm thinkin'
Inquiring minds.

After you post your personals on here, I will do the same. You remain sophomoric and unable to develop any discourse, as you still haven't addressed any of the problems with the show, just a meager attempt at attacking me.

Many on here know exactly where to I live and what I do crybaby. No need to hide behind the keyboard like your sniveling little ass.
It’s no secret and I’m damn sure not embarrassed by it like you. Some here have even been invited to hunt at the Ranch.
And I’ve been on fishing and hunting trips with many other Membets here. And have bought and sold guns face to face with more than a few.
And my Dad’s been dead and buried for 4 years now as most here know.
Thank God he didn’t raise any butt hurt little cowards like you.

Come on out from behind your keyboard scooter.
And please post “your personals” bitch. We’ll all be waiting and holding our breaths.
Inquiring minds.

Many on here know exactly where to I live and what I do crybaby. No need to hide behind the keyboard like your sniveling little ass.
It’s no secret and I’m damn sure not embarrassed by it like you. Some here have even been invited to hunt at the Ranch.
And I’ve been on fishing and hunting trips with many other Membets here. And have bought and sold guns face to face with more than a few.

And please post “your personals” bitch. We’ll all be waiting and holding our breaths.

I love the “we” part, you got a turd in your hand?
Inquiring minds.

I love the “we” part, you got a turd in your hand?

You are the only turd present here, son. And you continue to show it. And your ass. Still waiting for you to post your “personals”. Come on little keyboard warrior. Grow a set.
I didn’t think so. Just spewing more schitt. Most here can sniff out a little turd like you a mile a way.
Posted By: poboy Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
"Imperfect...Imperfect" - HitRun
Posted By: Salmonella Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
I enjoy Yellows because I want to see the clash between traditional Western Values and the modern progressive agenda....and the invaders from California.

I relate on many levels...👍

I've seen a million old westerns and just don't have time for the multiple spinoffs.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Sam needs to intake about 4 big burgers a day to put a little meat on his head so his hat won’t fall down over his eyes!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Color me skeptical of the Enchanted Rock episode and future Ranger Capt Hays doing great execution with revolvers and rifle. My take is that the Comanches chased him up that huge granite batholith and, since he had an unrestricted field of fire up there with repeating weapons, satisfied themselves in getting his horse and gear.

As with much else of Capt Hays’ legendary exploits, I believe there’s much uncertainty when that E Rock episode took place.

Steven Moore in his excellent “Savage Frontier” series of books has Patterson revolvers in the hands of Texian Army Officers as early as 1840, they were present at the Council House Fight here in San Antonio that year and in the hands of at least one local Tejano leading a party against the Comanches that same year.

IIRC Pattersons were also ludicrously expensive on the civilian market in those early years, $400 in their currency (or many thousands in ours) coming to mind.

Jack Hays’ two famous inaugural handgun fights against Comanches unfamiliar with the weapon both occurred on or not far from the Guadelupe River in 1844, four years after the fact.

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Color me skeptical of the Enchanted Rock episode and future Ranger Capt Hays doing great execution with revolvers and rifle. My take is that the Comanches chased him up that huge granite batholith and, since he had an unrestricted field of fire up there with repeating weapons, satisfied themselves in getting his horse and gear.

As with much else of Capt Hays’ legendary exploits, I believe there’s much uncertainty when that E Rock episode took place.

Steven Moore in his excellent “Savage Frontier” series of books has Patterson revolvers in the hands of Texian Army Officers as early as 1840, they were present at the Council House Fight here in San Antonio that year and in the hands of at least one local Tejano leading a party against the Comanches that same year.

IIRC Pattersons were also ludicrously expensive on the civilian market in those early years, $400 in their currency (or many thousands in ours) coming to mind.

Jack Hays’ two famous inaugural handgun fights against Comanches unfamiliar with the weapon both occurred on or not far from the Guadeloupe River in 1844, four years after the fact.

Yep. I’ve read some articles that claim that Hay’s skirmish with the Commaches on Enchanted Rock never took place.
On the cost of the Patterson, I thought I read some where that Hays was from a wealthy family. And another account I read stated that Colt had gifted him a Patterson. Lots of conflicting stories on that battle.
I hunted a TX Parks and Wildlife Draw Hunt For exotics and whitetail does on Enchanted Rock about 20 years ago.
Walked over to the spot / overhang where Hayes was supposedly holed up. Pretty neat spot. He’d of been hard to get with a bow & arrow without exposing himself completely.
Posted By: dubePA Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
The haggle is more entertaining than the TV show.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: 1883 - 01/28/22

Yes
Yes they do

😃

Not everyone can be waiting for a kidney transplant.
Posted By: slumlord Re: 1883 - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Mike78

Yes
Yes they do

😃

There’s plenty to keep me busy in-between. Just got done running 5 FELs of wood to the big shed.

I’m not sitting around on my ass all day long. Maybe only 1/2 the day.
Originally Posted by Mike78

Yes
Yes they do

😃

There’s plenty to keep me busy in-between. Just got done running 5 FELs of wood to the big shed.

I’m not sitting around on my ass all day long. Maybe only 1/2 the day.

Spend the rest of the day at WallyWorld and drinking Mt Dew ? 😜
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: 1883 - 01/29/22
Elsa is hot.
Posted By: Buck720 Re: 1883 - 01/29/22
You guys sound like my brother-in-law he concentrates on petty things in shows and movies looking for what’s wrong and not right. I can’t see why anyone would do that instead of just trying to enjoy the show!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1883 - 01/29/22
Originally Posted by Buck720
You guys sound like my brother-in-law he concentrates on petty things in shows and movies looking for what’s wrong and not right. I can’t see why anyone would do that instead of just trying to enjoy the show!

Some folks are just born asswholes.
© 24hourcampfire