Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Some of you all must have a lot of spare time on your hands…..

Yes
Yes they do

1300 channels of TV AND time to do the Siskel and Eggbert reviews, plus bash each over the dome.

😃

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I watched the bits and pieces I could find on Youtube.

I’m wondering how often guys on horseback actually charged each other with handguns blazing. OK, the Civil War, but those were military actions.

Texas Ranger Captain RIP Ford, who would know, opined that a guy on horseback with a revolver was at best evenly matched against a mounted Comanche with a bow. Surely the same thing applies to two guys with revolvers.

“Even” doesn’t sound like very good odds if one is going to repeat the practice. If ya don’t get shot there’s still the prospect of have your horse shot, which could likewise prove fatal.

This might be why Captain Ford did almost all of his plains fighting with rifles, you got within range, dismounted and used a rifle. It’s been a while since I read it but IIRC even Walter Prescott Web in his classic 1935 work “The Texas Rangers: A Century of Frontier Defense” mentions only one running fight on the plains, and that was settled by a Ranger who dismounted and used his Winchester.

Agreed Mike. Nearly all the Ranger accounts I’ve read said they dismounted and used their rifles in most actions against the Comanche.
The only one I recall that was supposedly settled with a pistol, was when Rip Ford was stranded on Enchanted Rock and outnumbered.
He was said to have been the first to use a Colt Patterson Revolver to sort it out.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/28/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yes
Yes they do

1300 channels of TV AND time to do the Siskel and Eggbert reviews, plus bash each over the dome.

😃

Stick to Matlock and Cannon, Mr. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Hitrun , stop watching the t.v. show you hate so much.
Change the channel, historically correct doc.s are out there.
What channel do you watch "1886" on? What night?
Inquiring minds.

Mike, hope you are well, Sir.
I believe it’s on Paramount + or maybe Peakock + that I watch it on. Can’t remember which of the two, but it’s one of those for sure.

As for Tiny Dick Hit&Run, I’m guessing by his posts, and the fact that he’s afraid to mention what State he resides in, he’s just another Sock Puppet Trying To stir schitt up.
Probably has no friends or a real life, so he’s trying to impress by being a cutesy condescending little bitch.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Inquiring minds.

I believe it’s on Paramount + or maybe Peakock + that I watch it on. Can’t remember which of the two, but it’s one of those for sure.

As for Tiny Dick Hit&Run, I’m guessing by his posts, and the fact that he’s afraid to mention what State he resides in, he’s just another Sock Puppet Trying To stir schitt up.
Probably has no friends or a real life, so he’s trying to impress by being a cutesy condescending little bitch.

After you post your personals on here, I will do the same. You remain sophomoric and unable to develop any discourse, as you still haven't addressed any of the problems with the show, just a meager attempt at attacking me.

My dad could beat up your dad!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Amazon offered me Paramount + for $0.99 a month.......so we watch it

New episodes Sunday I'm thinkin'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Inquiring minds.

After you post your personals on here, I will do the same. You remain sophomoric and unable to develop any discourse, as you still haven't addressed any of the problems with the show, just a meager attempt at attacking me.

Many on here know exactly where to I live and what I do crybaby. No need to hide behind the keyboard like your sniveling little ass.
It’s no secret and I’m damn sure not embarrassed by it like you. Some here have even been invited to hunt at the Ranch.
And I’ve been on fishing and hunting trips with many other Membets here. And have bought and sold guns face to face with more than a few.
And my Dad’s been dead and buried for 4 years now as most here know.
Thank God he didn’t raise any butt hurt little cowards like you.

Come on out from behind your keyboard scooter.
And please post “your personals” bitch. We’ll all be waiting and holding our breaths.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Inquiring minds.

Many on here know exactly where to I live and what I do crybaby. No need to hide behind the keyboard like your sniveling little ass.
It’s no secret and I’m damn sure not embarrassed by it like you. Some here have even been invited to hunt at the Ranch.
And I’ve been on fishing and hunting trips with many other Membets here. And have bought and sold guns face to face with more than a few.

And please post “your personals” bitch. We’ll all be waiting and holding our breaths.

I love the “we” part, you got a turd in your hand?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Inquiring minds.

I love the “we” part, you got a turd in your hand?

You are the only turd present here, son. And you continue to show it. And your ass. Still waiting for you to post your “personals”. Come on little keyboard warrior. Grow a set.
I didn’t think so. Just spewing more schitt. Most here can sniff out a little turd like you a mile a way.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Imperfect...Imperfect" - HitRun

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy Yellows because I want to see the clash between traditional Western Values and the modern progressive agenda....and the invaders from California.

I relate on many levels...👍

I've seen a million old westerns and just don't have time for the multiple spinoffs.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sam needs to intake about 4 big burgers a day to put a little meat on his head so his hat won’t fall down over his eyes!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Color me skeptical of the Enchanted Rock episode and future Ranger Capt Hays doing great execution with revolvers and rifle. My take is that the Comanches chased him up that huge granite batholith and, since he had an unrestricted field of fire up there with repeating weapons, satisfied themselves in getting his horse and gear.

As with much else of Capt Hays’ legendary exploits, I believe there’s much uncertainty when that E Rock episode took place.

Steven Moore in his excellent “Savage Frontier” series of books has Patterson revolvers in the hands of Texian Army Officers as early as 1840, they were present at the Council House Fight here in San Antonio that year and in the hands of at least one local Tejano leading a party against the Comanches that same year.

IIRC Pattersons were also ludicrously expensive on the civilian market in those early years, $400 in their currency (or many thousands in ours) coming to mind.

Jack Hays’ two famous inaugural handgun fights against Comanches unfamiliar with the weapon both occurred on or not far from the Guadelupe River in 1844, four years after the fact.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Color me skeptical of the Enchanted Rock episode and future Ranger Capt Hays doing great execution with revolvers and rifle. My take is that the Comanches chased him up that huge granite batholith and, since he had an unrestricted field of fire up there with repeating weapons, satisfied themselves in getting his horse and gear.

As with much else of Capt Hays’ legendary exploits, I believe there’s much uncertainty when that E Rock episode took place.

Steven Moore in his excellent “Savage Frontier” series of books has Patterson revolvers in the hands of Texian Army Officers as early as 1840, they were present at the Council House Fight here in San Antonio that year and in the hands of at least one local Tejano leading a party against the Comanches that same year.

IIRC Pattersons were also ludicrously expensive on the civilian market in those early years, $400 in their currency (or many thousands in ours) coming to mind.

Jack Hays’ two famous inaugural handgun fights against Comanches unfamiliar with the weapon both occurred on or not far from the Guadeloupe River in 1844, four years after the fact.

Yep. I’ve read some articles that claim that Hay’s skirmish with the Commaches on Enchanted Rock never took place.
On the cost of the Patterson, I thought I read some where that Hays was from a wealthy family. And another account I read stated that Colt had gifted him a Patterson. Lots of conflicting stories on that battle.
I hunted a TX Parks and Wildlife Draw Hunt For exotics and whitetail does on Enchanted Rock about 20 years ago.
Walked over to the spot / overhang where Hayes was supposedly holed up. Pretty neat spot. He’d of been hard to get with a bow & arrow without exposing himself completely.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The haggle is more entertaining than the TV show.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Yes
Yes they do

😃

Not everyone can be waiting for a kidney transplant.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike78

Yes
Yes they do

😃

There’s plenty to keep me busy in-between. Just got done running 5 FELs of wood to the big shed.

I’m not sitting around on my ass all day long. Maybe only 1/2 the day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike78

Yes
Yes they do

😃

There’s plenty to keep me busy in-between. Just got done running 5 FELs of wood to the big shed.

I’m not sitting around on my ass all day long. Maybe only 1/2 the day.

Spend the rest of the day at WallyWorld and drinking Mt Dew ? 😜

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elsa is hot.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys sound like my brother-in-law he concentrates on petty things in shows and movies looking for what’s wrong and not right. I can’t see why anyone would do that instead of just trying to enjoy the show!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,867
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.