Home
Posted By: jbmi Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/10/22
Ordered one over 3 months ago, before all the crap was happening.
It should be in anytime, having second thoughts, it's a "want" vs "need"
Dealer says I don't have to take it, as they have a waiting list for this one.
It was a decent deal, no mark up above sticker, plus got 3K off with a family & friends coupon.
Paying cash, just a slight hesitation thinking if I'd be better off waiting for things to settle down, and if all hell breaks loose if I'd need the cash.
Decisions, decisions, decisions crazy
I was going to buy a new one in June and there was nothing available without waiting. Mine only has 50,000 miles on it so I plan to wait for a while.
It won't get any cheaper... inflation is just revving up
I bought one that's very close to new--a 2021 with 6000 miles.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!
It aint going to settle down anytime soon. My guess is mid 2024 when there is a republican in the white house.
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/10/22
We were looking for a larger replacement of my wife's 2016 Audi Q5 as we have added two dogs to the family. With 75K miles we will wait.
Posted By: Teal Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/10/22
I've been shopping but not serious.

Have a feeling I'll end up Tacoma or Tundra with Silverado 3rd.

If it gets as bad as people think - cash will be useless, think Weimar Republic. EVERYONE will be defaulted on stuff - if everyone's effed, then we're all equal.

I expect the .gov will simply end up confiscating 401k's to keep things going. A revolution isn't gonna return the US to anything. It will be USA 2.0 or nothing. Either way you're not getting your $ back.

It's gonna be miserable, may as well be miserable in heated leather seats...
I'm waiting for the price of diesel fuel and inflation to put the hurt on the truck market. Been needing to buy a new company truck for 3 - 4 years, I'd rather pay taxes than get ripped off by price gougers.
Not buying but I would like to. Same as you; it is a want and not a need and I can pay cash (but would likely look for a good financing deal).

I have never purchased new in my life and have a problem paying MSRP for a vehicle. Another concern I have with ordering is the possibility that my new truck could sit in the weather for months waiting for a chip or some other part before it is delivered. I will wait at least another year to see if things improve.
Originally Posted by savage24
Not buying but I would like to. Same as you; it is a want and not a need and I can pay cash (but would likely look for a good financing deal).

I have never purchased new in my life and have a problem paying MSRP for a vehicle. Another concern I have with ordering is the possibility that my new truck could sit in the weather for months waiting for a chip or some other part before it is delivered. I will wait at least another year to see if things improve.

I hear ya but if you’re going to finance now might be the time.
If you're waiting for the prices to come down, get comfortable.
The only thing that's going to drop in value is the dollar.
I have bought 3 new vehicles in the past 2 years. My logic is get them now while you can, this is the first time in my life used vehicles have appreciated in value. Sold my used vehicles for top dollar, got fair prices on new. And if necessary these vehicles will last the rest of my life. A local dealer offers 20yr 200,000 mile warranty.
Two of the new vehicles are diesel powered, so they should live a long life.
Bought a new F-150 4x4 in November. Very glad that I did it then.
Zero% financing. I came out okay trading in my tundra for it.
My '17 F150 has right at 100k and I was gonna get a new one next year but not sure now. I've still got 20 or so thousand miles left of extended warranty so I might just ride it out. I really dont want to pay sticker.
Just an fyi before you buy.

I spent a good part of the day trying to find Dello 400 15-40 to change the oil in my new diesel. Never did and ended up paying Jiffy Lube $120 to do it for me as they had it on hand.

Auto parts store shelves were beyond bare. Walmart had two gallons but I couldn't find anyone to ring me up at three registers so I bailed.

Dealer wanted $170 to change it but didn't have a diesel mechanic to do the work. WTF?

Headed to Costco to stock up on toilet paper.....
I’m planning to order a 2023 Silverado this July. Trading in my 2019 Silverado.
I was planning to sell my 2000 7.3 Super Duty after I bought the replacement for it, but if the new one breaks down, I'd be proper fugged!

New parts are MIA!
I've got one on order, nothing fancy, but I need another company vehicle. I tend to drive vehicles until the wheels fall off, so even buying at sticker (though difficult to swallow) doesn't really move the needle, financially.

Rented a pickup this week, $60 a day. A third of what it was three months ago. That means there's PLENTY of rental vehicles to go around, so that pipeline has been filled. I expect that vehicle availability will loosen up pretty quickly over the next few months, with used prices dropping quickly.

Edited to add: was driving north of the SFO airport yesterday, and there were seven identical Rivian pickups sitting on a side lot. All white, in a row. So I guess they DO actually exist. SFO being a good place for some virtue-signalling company to have a "pickup".
Don't any of you guys belong to credit unions? Mine has direct relationships with the dealers. Your base price is just over dealer invoice. Got my 2019 4Runner this way, delivered to my driveway. No charge.
Originally Posted by Dutch
That means there's PLENTY of rental vehicles to go around, so that pipeline has been filled. I expect that vehicle availability will loosen up pretty quickly over the next few months, with used prices dropping quickly.

Those that bought used 2-4 year old vehicles at new or new+ prices are gonna be shocked at how upside down they are when the market/inventory normalizes. Depreciation is gonna give some heart attacks.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Don't any of you guys belong to credit unions? Mine has direct relationships with the dealers. Your base price is just over dealer invoice. Got my 2019 4Runner this way, delivered to my driveway. No charge.

Moving my crap over to one this weekend.
I have $4k on deposit with my LONG STANDING Toyota dealer.

That is $1k deposit on FOUR different fleet vehicles.

Toyota is running at 3% production...

They are the LEADER OF THE PACK.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I have $4k on deposit with my LONG STANDING Toyota dealer.

That is $1k deposit on FOUR different fleet vehicles.

Toyota is running at 3% production...

They are the LEADER OF THE PACK.

Hard Commodities... Physically Held...
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Helluva a deal...
Yes. I bought an eight year old Corolla three weeks ago. I can't keep my eyes off that little screen where the current MPG is displayed, flickering between 41-42 miles per gallon on my 80 mile commute.
I went to an auction last Sat. that had 3 trucks still under warranty. All were crew cabs, leather, and diesels. The GMC 3/4T had 22K miles, one Ford 3/4T had 4300 miles, the other Ford 1T had 17K miles. One man bought all three and they brought from $68K to $73K. They also had a 2000 Ford 1T dually, crewcab, leather, 7.3L diesel, 157K miles, body had a few scratches but nothing serious, fenders good. Bid up to $16K and didn't sell, seller wanted $19K.

I hope prices come down, since the wife totaled her car, we've been putting a lot of miles on my truck.
Was wanting to go grab a Subaru Wilderness Outback but that’s on the back burner these days. Was thinking of trading in the 4Runner and selling the Ranger. No sense in it now, both of those are paid off and just cost me taxes, Ins., and license. Have 18 months left paying on the Camry which we use 90% of the time. Probably 98% now with the price of gas going up.
Cant imagine holding cash will be a good position over the next few years.

Big trucks might not hold value like they did, but I’d bet they don’t drop quite as fast as the dollar.

Throw down your money, take your chances!
Originally Posted by Teal

If it gets as bad as people think - cash will be useless, think Weimar Republic. EVERYONE will be defaulted on stuff - if everyone's effed, then we're all equal.

I expect the .gov will simply end up confiscating 401k's to keep things going. A revolution isn't gonna return the US to anything. It will be USA 2.0 or nothing. Either way you're not getting your $ back.

Do you really believe all that you wrote?
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, as far as 401k plans go we might all want to look at what was done in The Netherlands by their government.
Originally Posted by jbmi
It was a decent deal, no mark up above sticker, plus got 3K off with a family & friends coupon.
Paying cash, just a slight hesitation thinking if I'd be better off waiting for things to settle down, and if all hell breaks loose if I'd need the cash.

We went through this same thing recently. I ordered a Honda accord EX-L hybrid last year. It showed up in January so we had to decide. It was nice and loaded up with everything we'd want. It's a full size that gets 48 mpg overall. I didn't like the wide center console cockpit design but my wife liked it. We were at MSRP with no mark up but no real discounts either. It would be an extra car for us just for my wife to take to work. I have a 2021 f150 powerboost and my wife has a 2021 pacifica hybrid.

In the end we didn't buy it. We had cash and thought a car that gets that kind of mileage may be worth even more the way Biden is going. It's just hard to imagine new cars being an investment after years of always loosing on them. I was thinking at the time that if poohtin hits Ukraine then China will hit Taiwan. Considering 80 % of the world's chips are made in Taiwan a war there could make our car market look like Cubas. In the end we decided it was a want not a need but they way gas is heading we are still wondering if we should have bought it.

Cars typically loose value but right now they are holding strong while our money in the bank is loosing value. It's a tough call right now. I think if the accord would have fit me better and let me drive with my knees apart I would have bought it. So, if you really like the car I'd say go for it. If you don't really love it skip it. I usually find myself looking at new cars when I'm feeling down about other things. It's like emotional eating but with car buying so I have to watch myself. I love new cars.

Bb
Originally Posted by EdM

Helluva a deal...

I was happy with it. They didn’t discount but 8% off of msrp but gave me more than i paid for my tundra with 95,000 miles on it, needed new tires and had 4000$ worth of body damage from hitting 2 deer with it and i had collected on the 4000$.

So all in all I felt okay with it.

The tundra that I traded was sold before it went into the body shop or had any other work done on it.

I brought my F-150 back for a recall on the body/frame bushings and there were no new trucks on the lot and only several new cars.
I ordered a new Bronco last week. An extravagance that I may have to reconsider. .
Originally Posted by EdM

Believe it's going to happen just like that? Maybe but not 100% probable. Mostly unlikely.

Weimar inflation? We're working on it. Jebus, gas is moving almost a dollar a day at the pump right now. Daily 25% swings in price on something as necessary as fuel for everyone has consequences.

Supply chain wise, what used to move for 3800 is moving for 8k on the same lane. It ALL comes home to roost. This isn't a short blip, it's been an issue in supply chain since 3/28/2020. 2 YEARS. You can't be sick this long and not have lingering side effects.

The alternative to not happening that way would be a decent outcome so no reason to freak. If it does go that way - the USA as we know it will cease to exist. Old USA debt is gone. 250 years is a long time not to have disruption towards new. A great reset is coming, just for whom is still in contention

Either way - you're OK. Buy what you can afford.

Speaking specifically about 401k - absolutely. It may not happen but they damn well have thought about it and it might be THE thing to kick this all off.
Buying 7 tomorrow!!
I don't need or want a new pickup.

My wife doesn't need or want.
(she did say she liked the new $60k Explorer at the local Ford dealer but sorry sweetheart not happening....lol)

I do want a new or lightly used Yamaha Grizzly 700, keep the old one for backup.
I really need a newer truck, but used is not available and stupid money, but new is crazy too at sticker. So I just keep fixing and watching for change.
The question remains:do you really want it?

If you can get by without it don't get it.

They have been trying for a while to get me to sell/trade my truck in on a 22 model.

Thing is it is the smaller eco-boost model and does not come with a tow package,mine has one and it is a 2015.

And they offered me 24,000.00 if i did it.

This started last year.
At the very least, take delivery and sell for a profit.
JFC…..
Bought the wife a land cruiser last March. We could sell it now for minimum $15-$20k profit. We’re living in a cartoon world.
Sounds like you got a great deal considering the current market. I'd take delivery and if you don't want it, sell it fir 5k-10k more than you paid.
I bought 2 new ones last July, got decent discounts (GM Supplier on my Sierra and X-Plan on wifes Explorer) and some rebates. Got almost what I paid on a ‘19 F150 I traded in. Kinda thought I was stupid at the time, but glad I did it when I did.
We bought a new Ford explorer for the wife back on new years eve. Ended up paying 2k under sticker, which I thought was still high, but it was the color she wanted and had all the options she wanted. They had a $2500 adjusted market price sticker above the original sticker price, told them that wasn't going to happen. They wanted to make a sale on the last day of the month so we came home with it.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
At the very least, take delivery and sell for a profit.
JFC…..
Bought the wife a land cruiser last March. We could sell it now for minimum $15-$20k profit. We’re living in a cartoon world.

Yep, that's an option.
I've been looking at getting a new bicycle.
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, as far as 401k plans go we might all want to look at what was done in The Netherlands by their government.

I can actually see some wisdom in Teals leather seats comments. Just before Y2k I had a friend tell me I needed to hurry and get out of debt before y2k hit. I asked why and he said because the banks and everything are going to get wiped out. I said if that's true I'd much prefer my debt being wiped out than my savings. He paused for a minute and said I hadn't thought about it like that, you're right.

In crazy times possession will be a large part of the law.

Bb
Last ice event my old bomber jeep.had vent stuck at heater, not defrost. Took me 30 mins to get windshield clear.

17 mpg on highway. 5.2L w 3.73 gears.
Gas going up.....looking for better mpg.

Looked at a couple used toaster jeeps (Renegade).
Price was high, for the miles. No deals.

So went to order a 2022. Wouldnt be here til August and no deal. Also could not get the color I wanted ( not avail in US ). So built one in my 2nd color. Got the price ( Limited, not Trailhawk ).

Salesguy said he had that color in a new 2021 w everything. And had a couple K rebate.

Used 4 yrs old w 30 k and lesser trim vs new was 5k diff.
YGBFKM.

Bought it.

The used one was sold 2 days later

Might as well buy new w full warranty for such low diff IMHO
We bought a new Tacoma 4x4 back in 2017. Have just over 30,000 miles on it. Dealer keeps asking if we want to sell. says we can probably get more than we paid for it. We bought a new 2021 Tacoma Sport last year on Jan 1st. before the craziness hit. Got a great deal. We don't drive it much. Had it for 14 months and only have about 4,000 miles on it. Saw a used one a couple of weeks ago that looked just like our 2021. Pretty much same equipment. It was a 2017 and they wanted 10,000 more than what we paid for ours new. It was only there about a week and it sold
I might pay my toaster off early.
Dunno yet
Like to have that cash for when things get bad and deals can be had.
Fam wants a small fishing boat....and i cant tow it w toaster.
The 2008 Tundra I am driving now was bought in January 2009 after the 2008 crash. Nobody was buying vehicles and I walked into the dealership with a check in hand and got a great deal on the truck. My only concern at that time was if the dealership filed for bankruptcy after cashing the check but before I got my MSO, which didn't happen. I'd like to get a newer vehicle now "just because," but I am going to sit tight and see what develops when things tighten up. I think a lot of people right now are suffering from a combination of FOMO due to inflation and YOLO because of the last two years of politics, shutdowns and, now, international tension. We'll see. If the country turns into Cuba and we have to use the same cars for 60 years, my Tundra is probably better than the new stuff anyway.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I can actually see some wisdom in Teals leather seats comments. Just before Y2k I had a friend tell me I needed to hurry and get out of debt before y2k hit. I asked why and he said because the banks and everything are going to get wiped out. I said if that's true I'd much prefer my debt being wiped out than my savings. He paused for a minute and said I hadn't thought about it like that, you're right.

In crazy times possession will be a large part of the law.

Bb

I think people are scared right now. WW3, fuel, home economy, jobs etc. I'm just taking more of an EOD mindset. Guy diffusing a bomb. Either he does it okay or it goes off. Either way, it's not his problem anymore.

Things will either end up okay or they'll be so bad it won't matter. I don't think there's a real "in between" on this one. There's no "sorta pregnant" - we're fine or the economic crash/US crash is so bad, it simply will not matter if you bought a new 50k rig or didn't and "saved" that money. It's gone and we're all in the same boat regardless of how your individual balance sheet looked before the balloon went up.
I am going to try to trade today. There is a GMC in SE MO I want. Will just have to see what they offer for my 15 Silverado. Used trucks are selling for more than they should as well.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I am going to try to trade today. There is a GMC in SE MO I want. Will just have to see what they offer for my 15 Silverado. Used trucks are selling for more than they should as well.

I dont know if I'd do it, they are having too many lifter issues with the 5.3 and 6.2 engines, I'm hearing good things about the 3.0 diesel though. Even the dealership advised putting an afm shutoff on my 5.3. I'll wait until warranty is out before I do that though.
I"m driving a 1998 4Runner with 198K on the odometer. It's still in great shape but I was planning on getting a 2023 when Toyota is supposed to update the 4 Runner. Those plans are now on hold. I have no idea when they will be available. I've also seen some reports that Toyota is going to go with a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine in 2023. That's a big turn off for me. Price gouging by the dealers is also a big concern.
Originally Posted by killerv

I dont know if I'd do it, they are having too many lifter issues with the 5.3 and 6.2 engines, I'm hearing good things about the 3.0 diesel though. Even the dealership advised putting an afm shutoff on my 5.3. I'll wait until warranty is out before I do that though.

I've seen a few of those small D-max's advertised at local dealers. Mostly ignored it. Decent? Enough to move a 1/2 ton with some authority?
I bought a 2019 trailhawk, only had 15,300 miles on it, traded in my wrangler 2013, needed tires ,bare bones got a grand more than I paid for it 4 years ago. I think I did ok, better gas mileage, and all about new.
Momma needs a new one, gonna wait for the market to crash, then we'll go shopping.

I've seen a few of those small D-max's advertised at local dealers. Mostly ignored it. Decent? Enough to move a 1/2 ton with some authority?

everyone is loving them and reporting good things, and great gas mileage. I hear they are going to discontinue it in the next year or two though.
Finally saw a new Tundra yesterday, hideous, curious if they improved the gas mileage on them though. I believe no more V8s are being offered.
Just bought "The Warden" a new Explorer.
Her old GMC 2500 was just plain wore out. Not much choice.
So far, she LOVES it - and I haven't had to pay a repair bill, yet - so I'm happy.
Nope. We're driving what we've got for a while.
According the local news this AM ppl are adhering to Gestapo Joe's words and buying EV's like mad. 6 month wait and paying whatever dealers are putting on the window sticker. I call BS but that's the latest propaganda.
Originally Posted by MARCEL
According the local news this AM ppl are adhering to Gestapo Joe's words and buying EV's like mad. 6 month wait and paying whatever dealers are putting on the window sticker. I call BS but that's the latest propaganda.

Well to be fair. (to be faaaaiiirrrr) - they're doing that for gas vehicles too. It's less about the motive power and more about getting a new ride I think.

We leased my wife's last two vehicles and decided to buy this time around so we ordered a new one in early September, it arrived on Monday and am picking it up this aft.
We bought out the lease on her current car and flipped it for a substantial profit – that certainly took the edge off buying the new one.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I've been looking at getting a new bicycle.

Check out the electric ones. The electric motorcycles are pretty cool too but may not work well for you during the winter.
Originally Posted by EdM

If China sides with Russia and the west cuts them off then prices are going nowhere but up. I fear WWIII may be the West fighting Russia and China and it won't be pleasant for anyone.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/17/22
Thanks for all the comments, could not decide what to do until it arrived yesterday at the dealer after a 3 1/2 month wait.
It's one of those want vs needs things, when I saw it, the wants won.
Here's her picture, promo pic as it's raining here and didn't have a chance for a good pic. It's just as I ordered it. Hell, I'm 77, just might be the last car I ever buy,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]😉
We've had a RAV4 Hybrid on order for two and half months now, it was supposedly built Tuesday in Ontario Canada, and is on the way to the border. It's delivery date is April 8th, or thereabouts. My sister has been driving hybrids for 15 years now and loves the 50MPG she gets out of her Prius, and that convinced the wife that she wanted the RAV4, as a compromise for my bad back and her loving the high mileage figures. We're paying MSRP, but that's better than most stealerships in the area who are trying to tack on 5K to the sticker price.
We're going to pay cash for it, and skip the payment book.

I am looking for a new pickup, but I won't be buying it until we sell Mom's house (she passed away in November, and my sister and I are splitting the proceeds from the sale of Mom's house). One thing has fouled up those plans, though, my sister's house had a fire Friday night and we moved my sister's family into Mom's place until they can get her house rebuilt. That'll slow my buying plans down for awhile, which is okay, my current pickup only has 72K on it, and runs great. I plan on paying cash for that one, too, and upgrading a lot, IF I can find something I like. So far, I'm liking my old Frontier more than anything else. I might just drive it into the ground, My 2016 Frontier isn't costing me anything except fuel, insurance and taxes.
IMHO... there is not a single thing you can buy right now... that will NOT BE WORTH MORE IN THE FUTURE.

Exceptions being boats, Tom Brady footballs, guns, motorcycles and such.

When these hard times get worse...

The essentials that you own AND NEED will be highly valuable to hold or trade.

Recreational and surplus stuff (i.e. that 50 gun collection, that baseball card collection) will be worth far less.

Don't believe me... Go look at a pawn shop (their inventory grows daily... the one near me is ALMOST no longer taking in stuff).
I haven't bought a NEW vehicle in 20 years, opting instead for one/two year old "program" cars, but used cars are outrageous now, so it really makes some sense to buy new...if you can find one...
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Nope. We're driving what we've got for a while.

What we're doing.
14 CRV
11 Mazda 3
04 Tahoe
99 Frontier
I honestly wouldn't hesitate to hop in any of the above and drive cross country if the need arises.

And congrats JBMI on the nice new ride!
I still drive an 06 chevy duramax, 126k miles on it. Purchased in 08, during the last crash for 24k and 15k miles. The wife bought a 21, Subaru Ascent, in Dec of 20 . The zero percent interest was the selling factor along with 500$ over invoice. I decided years ago paying cash, is a fools errand, when zero intrest is available.
I was able to trade couple of days ago. Had to pay sticker but they were in range on my trade in. Zero interest. Love the truck.
We ordered a f150 New Year’s Eve and it should get here next week. Dealer shot us a good deal if we ordered one.
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have bought 3 new vehicles in the past 2 years. My logic is get them now while you can, this is the first time in my life used vehicles have appreciated in value. Sold my used vehicles for top dollar, got fair prices on new. And if necessary these vehicles will last the rest of my life. A local dealer offers 20yr 200,000 mile warranty.

This logic is making increasing sense to me who is normally at the other end of the spectrum: i.e. buy well used and run-to-fail. Hmmmmmmm.....
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by irfubar

This logic is making increasing sense to me who is normally at the other end of the spectrum: i.e. buy well used and run-to-fail. Hmmmmmmm.....

+1
Havent had a car payment since 2000.
Now I do and I dont freakin like it.

Gonna be a tight azz and pay it off way early.
The good thing is interest is cheap, but it’s not going to stay that way.
Posted By: Teal Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by hookeye
Havent had a car payment since 2000.
Now I do and I dont freakin like it.

Gonna be a tight azz and pay it off way early.

I struggle with knowing that the 500 payment I pay today is the most that 500 will be worth in the next several years. Making that payment of 500 in 2 years, likely that 500 is actually worth a lot less. I kinda like the idea of giving them money that way.
Just got ANOTHER text about my four Toyota allocations...

$1k times four to purchase four new Toyotas...

Postponed AGAIN.

This is a HIGHLY RESPECTED DEALER (been serving our family for decades... no BS... no games).

Some deposits have been in place since November.

This chit is getting ridiculous.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The good thing is interest is cheap, but it’s not going to stay that way.

BINGO... I did 6 year at 1.8% in December... (WAY BELOW INFLATION).

I have never financed a car in my life, but at that it is pure stupidity not to.
Khan is wanting one.
Again.....
SMH...

Trying to talk her into a leased one.

Dont feel like taking the huge depreciation hit as soon as your drive a new purchase off a lot.

Told her look for a 0 down to 1.5k down max and 275 to 350 payment for 3 yrs 12k per yr mileage.
0 down would be cool.
Just gotta keep a watch out.

Selection sucks nowadays anyways....

She got a perfectly fine 2016 Dart SXT or whatever the frigg it is.
60 k on it
Paid the fugg off...
Drives 4 miles to work.
But wants something brand shiney new again...

Women.........

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I ordered a 1 ton Superduty last October. Ford keeps delaying the manufacturing date. Now it's late April.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I ordered a 1 ton Superduty last October. Ford keeps delaying the manufacturing date. Now it's late April.

I went through that last summer on my f150 powerboost. After 8 different eta dates it finally showed up last November. It sucked getting excited everytime I thought it was going to ship only to get a new date.

Bb
Posted By: Dess Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/18/22
No. In fact I've been getting emails from the Toyota dealer about buying back my 2015 Tacoma. Sorry, not gonna happen.
I could use one but I'm going to hold out a couple years. With inflation going crazy I think the supply/demand will flip around this time next year and there will be some deals again.
I ordered a GMC 2500 at the beginning of December and got it in about 10 weeks in February. When I got it, he told me that the heated steering wheel, heated/AC seats and the parking sensors don't work because it's missing the micro chips. When the chips come in, I'll have to take it back to them to have them installed. It's got a 6.6L Gas engine.

I traded in my 2017 with 96K miles on it and got $35K for it. It's still on their website for sale at $48K. The new truck was $70K and I financed the other $35K for 4 years at 4.99% with monthly payments of $785.20 per month.

The color of this thing is what they call "Forest". It's kind of a weird olive drab. When you look at it in low light, it almost looks black. When the sun is shinning on it, it looks like olive drab with gold flake. When people ask me what that color it is, I tell them it's camo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Stonecutter, might want to check with a local CU about a refi, mine is still offering 1.9% interest on newer vehicles.

I drove a new gmc 1500 with the 3.0 the other day. I've been wanting a new suburban with that motor but can't even find one to test drive so I tried the truck. The little diesel moved it around well. I could definitely feel the torque and the gm 10 speed worked great and seemed better programed than the one in my 2021 f150 powerboost. My Ford has a ton of power with 430 horse and 570 torque so I was worried the baby duramax would feel week. It didn't, it moved that gmc around well. It was a special order someone backed out of and they wanted $3500 over msrp for it. They were taking orders at invoice a few months ago but now they want msrp on special orders.

Bb
We looked at a three year old F 150, the dealers sure think there are in the cat bird seat.
Posted By: Teal Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I drove a new gmc 1500 with the 3.0 the other day. I've been wanting a new suburban with that motor but can't even find one to test drive so I tried the truck. The little diesel moved it around well. I could definitely feel the torque and the gm 10 speed worked great and seemed better programed than the one in my 2021 f150 powerboost. My Ford has a ton of power with 430 horse and 570 torque so I was worried the baby duramax would feel week. It didn't, it moved that gmc around well. It was a special order someone backed out of and they wanted $3500 over msrp for it. They were taking orders at invoice a few months ago but now they want msrp on special orders.

Bb

Thanks for the feedback. My interest in it was academic as they were available. Don't really need/want a diesel - large or small. DEF is a PITA.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We looked at a three year old F 150, the dealers sure think there are in the cat bird seat.

Actually they are...

3x more vehicles leave the market (accidents, scrapped et al) then are entering the market at the present time.

As I understand it.

I do NOT see the American automobile Industry (i.e. UAW) substantially surviving the next 3 years.
$500 more if we pay cash?
Market Cap on Toyota is $238 Billion.

Market Cap on GM is $63 Billion.

Market Cap on Ford is $64 Billion.

This was NOT the case a few short years ago... quite the opposite actually.

The UAW has imploded their very own existance.

So be it.
We have two 2018’s, my diesel 3/4 dodge has 22,000 miles on it. Wifeys Accura has about 35,000. Those two may take us out. I still have a 2004 3/4 dodge to drive every day and a 89 jeep too. I ain’t buying anything for a while, maybe never at 69.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: TimZ Re: Anyone buying a new vehicle ? - 03/18/22
If there are any “bargains” to be had these days it would seem to be something that has a big V8 in it, with $4 gas and $5 diesel.
I keep seeing Dodge Ram ads offering 0% for 72 but haven’t seriously shopped them…
heck, I don't own anything newer than 11 years old....

a new car would give me nothing that I don't have now, except car payments...

its been a long time, since I owned anything with less than 100K miles on it...

and haven't had car payments since 1988.....

when ever I get rid of anything, it has 350 to 400 K on it... and I get a good buy on something newer with a couple hundred thousand miles or 3 less on it...
They offered me 42,000 for my 2018 dodge truck two weeks ago when I took it to the dealer for service, but then what would I do?
i run vehicles til they are done. i am glad my newest one is only going on 6 years old. hopefully it will last another 6-8 without breaking the bank. i considered unloading our 2012 honda van and getting a new CRV or something only for the AWD aspect of it but i am hanging onto it now for as long as possible. i am not in the mood to be spending a ton of money at this point.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Stonecutter, might want to check with a local CU about a refi, mine is still offering 1.9% interest on newer vehicles.

Damn, that's pretty good. They don't cut commercial loans any slack.

My son got the bug when I got my new truck. He traded in his 2017 F-150 extended cab for a 2020 F-150 crew cab. His wife is getting ready to give birth to their first kid. He needed a bigger back seat. The 2020 was $35K and they gave him $18K for the 2017, but he still owed $13K. So he financed $30K for 5 years for 5.6%. They didn't cut him any slack on the rate either, not sure how his credit score is.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I ordered a GMC 2500 at the beginning of December and got it in about 10 weeks in February. When I got it, he told me that the heated steering wheel, heated/AC seats and the parking sensors don't work because it's missing the micro chips. When the chips come in, I'll have to take it back to them to have them installed. It's got a 6.6L Gas engine.

I traded in my 2017 with 96K miles on it and got $35K for it. It's still on their website for sale at $48K. The new truck was $70K and I financed the other $35K for 4 years at 4.99% with monthly payments of $785.20 per month.

The color of this thing is what they call "Forest". It's kind of a weird olive drab. When you look at it in low light, it almost looks black. When the sun is shinning on it, it looks like olive drab with gold flake. When people ask me what that color it is, I tell them it's camo.

Sharp looking truck.

Holy sh*t thats a garbage rate on the finance though - did you not shop it or is that the best you could find?
Originally Posted by Seafire
heck, I don't own anything newer than 11 years old....

a new car would give me nothing that I don't have now, except car payments...

A new car would give you NEW PARTS...

I have 11 vehicles now (average about 250k miles)...

I have 9 trailers...

I know the market on parts and repairs better than most non-professionals.

Parts are getting NUTS.

I have a guy driving 10 hours (one way) to buy a set of 1996 Dodge doors.

I have the bed off of a 1991 Taco that I am selling for more than I paid for the whole damn truck 2 years ago.

3rd world USA is coming.

Yep, I just ordered 2 days ago.

My current truck is currently fine. Problem is, if something were to happen to it, I'd be truly [bleep]-ed. I've already checked, there isn't a vehicle on a lot within 250 miles that I'd want sitting in front of my house. For the first time ever I'm living out of walking distance from work. I've got the money in the bank. Rather than back myself into a situation where I have to buy a POS vehicle of a sort that I don't want just to be able to get to work, I put in an order for what I do want. Worst case, retirement is 11-12 years out. What I ordered is one of the things I want to retire with. When it arrives, I'll drive it some, make some modifications I want to get it "just right", set it up for hunting, fishing, camping, etc. so if all goes well, it'll be 11-12 years old but fairly low miles when I retire.

Unless something changes, we're going to have to do things differently than we have in the past. We're not going to have a wide selection of vehicles sitting on lots to choose from. You'll either go in and pay essentially full price for whatever they choose to give you, or you're going to order ahead. That means planning ahead in a way we haven't truly had to in the past.
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Sharp looking truck.

Holy sh*t thats a garbage rate on the finance though - did you not shop it or is that the best you could find?

That rate came from Ally. They had a little better rate from another bank that was about 4.5%, but my brother and I would have to get together and sign a personal guarantee and it was kind of a hassle because he was in Florida at the time. We talked to our local bank because they hold the notes on a bunch of machinery like forklifts, loaders, and a couple of heavy trucks. She said they try to stay away from your average car loan and can't compete. She would have been higher. I think with most of our loans on machinery are hanging over 5%. $785.00 a month for 4 years is very doable for us. When you look at corporate taxes, we can right off and expense up to $2M per year and I'm riding around in a Cadillac truck.
We buy a new car about every eight or ten years and last fall was time. Didn't pick it up until the other day. The delay was our choice, we were travelling. Hopefully, this one will take me into my 80's. GD
In May of 2021 I searched long and hard for a new Ford F 250. I really hadn't given much consideration to ordering a truck with the chip situation at the time. I ended finding a new 2020 still on a dealer lot with an XLT Premium package and a few other nice options. Got a pretty damn good deal on that truck and a ridiculously high buy out on my 2019 F 150.
My wife's car is now 12 years old. I drove it last week when we went to see the tax man.

Just hit 30k miles.

Keepin' it until these suckers go broke.....lol
I will buy a new truck when things settle down a bit. Currently driving a 2017 silverado 1500 dr. With 65k on it
Love this truck but i like to trade every 3/4 years. Overdue now but I can wait. No issue with this one.
I'll likely be buying soon as well, but will be going CPO.

Mom passed recently, and she was staying in my house (renting from me). Old lady and I are thinking of moving in versus selling right now, but it will add 80 miles a day (round trip) to my commute, which is currently 8 miles a day. Do not want to put those kind of miles on my 2017 Tacoma (currently at 30k miles after 5 years) which is my "forever truck". Have been fixing it up and adding goodies to carry me into and back out of the woods until I die. So, I'll buy a nice commuter that will keep me comfortable on the long drives, and park the Tacoma except for what I bought it for, excursions out to the sticks.

Thinking a CPO Lexus NX or RX hybrid will make the commute a little more comfortable, and ease the gas hit on the wallet.
If you worked a deal for 3k under sticker, you should probably buy it. Listen to this story about a coworker who ordered a vehicle. He signed the deal for about what you're looking at. The dealer contacted him this week and offered him 5 grand to walk away from the deal.
I purchased a 2021 Toyota Tacoma off road 7 months ago MSRP + $3000.00 ( And that was discounted from $5000.00 over with my sons LEO discount) 7000 miles later totaled when a fella who did not have full command of the english language thought a stop sign meant go like heck. My insurance company was very fair with the settlement and I replaced it last week with the exact same specs and colored 2022 at MSRP from a CT dealer.

By the way, I first went back to my original dealer in NY and they wanted $7000.00 over MSRP !!! They will never see me again for a purchase, I promise!

If they’re taking 3k off sticker, in this market, I feel you’re being treated VERY fairly.
I expect the .gov will simply end up confiscating 401k's to keep things going.

Why?

They just print dollars without any backing now, why stop? Which is why we are on the road we're on.

I don't think they're gonna want to upset the peasants anymore than need be. They will let us keep our dollars, they will just be worth(less).

Funny.
"Not worth a continental."
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I expect the .gov will simply end up confiscating 401k's to keep things going.

Why?

They just print dollars without any backing now, why stop? Which is why we are on the road we're on.

I don't think they're gonna want to upset the peasants anymore than need be. They will let us keep our dollars, they will just be worth(less).

Correct... 401k and and SS will still "flow"... but when chicken is $100 a pound and the electric bill is $1,800... it really won't matter much no more.
© 24hourcampfire